Panasonic calibration HDR after SDR - questions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 06-26-2020, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Panasonic calibration HDR after SDR - questions

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but im fairly new to this world of calibration so I hope you can bear with my questions...

I recently calibrated SDR on my FZ800 using Calman Home and a i1display pro. These calibrations were made in Pro1(day) and Pro2(Night) profiles.

If I some day want to calibrate HDR, will this also be done on Pro1 and 2? Why im asking is that when I calibrated SDR it first measures pre-calibration values and then resets the settings with Full DDC reset.
Wont that reset my SDR calibration or will these settings be separated?

All help/info are much appreciated!

Best regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-26-2020, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Panasonic uses independent settings for SDR and HDR. So you can use Pro1 and Pro2 for both, with different settings.
post #3 of 17 Old 06-26-2020, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGrant View Post
Panasonic uses independent settings for SDR and HDR. So you can use Pro1 and Pro2 for both, with different settings.
Ok cool! So when in calman I just choose colospace Rec.2020, Power 2.2 gamma and make a Full DDC Reset and that wont affect the previous SDR calibration?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 06-26-2020, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

EDIT: I just realised something. Ive got the FZ800 (2018) model and I read this info: "For 2018 models, a hardware pattern generator like the VideoForge Pro must be used for HDR Calibration"
So I have to buy one of those before I can start I guess? Looks like that one costs like $1500. If so, I might skip the calibration since I dont feel spend that amount to do a calibration :P
post #5 of 17 Old 06-26-2020, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 1989 Post(s)
Liked: 2577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pär Arvdal View Post
EDIT: I just realised something. Ive got the FZ800 (2018) model and I read this info: "For 2018 models, a hardware pattern generator like the VideoForge Pro must be used for HDR Calibration"
So I have to buy one of those before I can start I guess? Looks like that one costs like $1500. If so, I might skip the calibration since I dont feel spend that amount to do a calibration :P

What are you currently using as a pattern generator? You might be able to combine it with an HD fury device to inject the HDR metadata.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - Portrait Displays/Calman
post #6 of 17 Old 06-26-2020, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
What are you currently using as a pattern generator? You might be able to combine it with an HD fury device to inject the HDR metadata.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Only one I got is the MobileForge-app.
post #7 of 17 Old 06-27-2020, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Ok cool! So when in calman I just choose colospace Rec.2020, Power 2.2 gamma and make a Full DDC Reset and that wont affect the previous SDR calibration?
Correct
post #8 of 17 Old 06-27-2020, 04:24 AM

Quote:
The cheapest option for an HDR pattern generator is a Raspberry Pi with PGenerator installed and an HDfury Integral 4K60. Cost approx. $180 / Kr. 1700.
post #9 of 17 Old 06-27-2020, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked: 975
Have a question, hopefully someone can help. I searched Google and didn't find an answer.

I am getting HCFR to calibrate my tv's and overall it's going well but one issue I have with the program is when I switch from one type of measurement such as full tilt boogie to continueous measure I get an error saying "Encountered am improper argument"

Anyone know why? Anyway to correct it?

Windows 10 Home & Pro give me the issue, 2 different PC's

Thank you

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
post #10 of 17 Old 07-03-2020, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The cheapest option for an HDR pattern generator is a Raspberry Pi with PGenerator installed and an HDfury Integral 4K60. Cost approx. $180 / Kr. 1700.
Ok thanks alot! Really appreciate all the help!
Think I´ve got hang on it now.

Is this tutorial good for the task?
https://kb.portrait.com/help/hdfury-integral-4k60

Correct me if im wrong but this is how it should look like right:

I guess I´ll need a new meter to.
Which meter is recommended for this task? My i1display is to old to handle HDR I tihnk

Is the i1Display Pro Plus ok or should I look for another meter? As long as its not cost $4-500 I guess im fine buying it

Last edited by Pär Arvdal; 07-03-2020 at 02:34 AM.
post #11 of 17 Old 07-03-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Is this tutorial good for the task?
https://kb.portrait.com/help/hdfury-integral-4k60
Well it depends on your version of Calman. For me it didn't work, but there is another (easy) way. You have to use the HDFury GUI Software for that.

Just check these posts (and the others on that page) on how to set the HDFury without Calman:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post59788318

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post59873168

I would go for the 1000 nits / 1080p24 settings. Just make sure that the PGenerator is also set to 1080p24 and set the HDMI RGB setting from your Panasonic TV (for the correct input) to "Normal". This is only needed for calibration. Afterwards you can set it to the old setting (I have it on Auto).

Quote:
I guess I´ll need a new meter to.
Which meter is recommended for this task? My i1display is to old to handle HDR I tihnk

Is the i1Display Pro Plus ok or should I look for another meter? As long as its not cost $4-500 I guess im fine buying it
Since you have an OLED TV, the i1Display Pro should be fine. The older ones are certified for 1000 nits. Just not quite sure which version you have. Yo might check out this link, to see if yours is still fine.

https://displaycalibrations.com/x-ri...ions_info.html
post #12 of 17 Old 07-05-2020, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well it depends on your version of Calman. For me it didn't work, but there is another (easy) way. You have to use the HDFury GUI Software for that.

Just check these posts (and the others on that page) on how to set the HDFury without Calman:

I would go for the 1000 nits / 1080p24 settings. Just make sure that the PGenerator is also set to 1080p24 and set the HDMI RGB setting from your Panasonic TV (for the correct input) to "Normal". This is only needed for calibration. Afterwards you can set it to the old setting (I have it on Auto).

Since you have an OLED TV, the i1Display Pro should be fine. The older ones are certified for 1000 nits. Just not quite sure which version you have. Yo might check out this link, to see if yours is still fine.

https://displaycalibrations.com/x-ri...ions_info.html
Thanks alto for the reply!

Sry for my late reply. Alot to do @ work lately.

It seems that I have the "2015 rev. B -02 retail ver." since my serial starts with "i1"
post #13 of 17 Old 07-08-2020, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

One question that came to my mind...just to make sure

Do I need a Rpi4 with HDMI 2.0 output for this to work with HDR or will a Rpi 3 Model B+ with HDMI 1.4 also work?
Since you mention 1080p24 settings I guess HDMI 2.0 isnt needed?
post #14 of 17 Old 07-08-2020, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Liked: 1598
The second one you mentioned. The 4 does not work with PGenerator at the current time. It has to be rewritten and tested on the 4's architecture.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #15 of 17 Old 07-08-2020, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
The second one you mentioned. The 4 does not work with PGenerator at the current time. It has to be rewritten and tested on the 4's architecture.
Oh ok. Well thats just fine with me since the 3+ is cheaper than the 4 :P
post #16 of 17 Old 07-08-2020, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Wait...so I dont need calman in order to calibrate?

Sry but as a beginner im a bit confused...how can I see afterwards if calibration was successfull?

This might be to complicated for me and mabe I should just be happy how the sceen perform as it is now

Last edited by Pär Arvdal; 07-08-2020 at 12:37 PM.
post #17 of 17 Old 07-08-2020, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Liked: 1598
Quote:
Wait...so I dont need calman in order to calibrate?

Sry but as a beginner im a bit confused...how can I see afterwards if calibration was successfull?

This might be to complicated for me and mabe I should just be happy how the sceen perform as it is now
Yes, you do. He's just describing an alternate method of controlling the HDFury component using its own GUI, as CalMAN doesn't control most HDFury products because their SDKs are different. The only one CalMAN has ever been able to control was the original Integral, and a change to the USB driver CalMAN uses knocked that out some time ago. I don't know if they're planning to reinstate it or not.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page