Strange DVD Playback Display Issue - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot

post #1 of 9 Old 06-30-2020, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Strange DVD Playback Display Issue

Hi All,

I wasn’t sure where to post this question on the AVSForums. I’m a long time lurker but I have a challenging issue with my HT setup. Here’s what I am rocking:

Denon AVR-X8500H
UDP-LX 500 Blu-Ray Player connected to the Blu-Ray HDMI Input on the Denon
Sony Bravia X95G TV connected to HDMI Output 1 on the Denon via ACTIVE HDMI Cable
Sony VPL-VW570ES Projector connected to HDMI Output 2 on the Denon via ACTIVE HDMI cable

All devices are set to HDMI Enhanced where applicable and 4:4:4 Chroma.

When I play movies, I have set up my Logitech Harmony to ensure that the HDMI Output is set to the correct device on the Denon. Prior to doing this there were mixed results which I attributed to the Denon trying to switch between both unsuccessfully.

I can play UltraHD Blu-Rays, 3D Blu-Rays and Standard Blu-Rays on the Pioneer to both the TV and the Projector with crisp, flawless results. But when I try and play a standard DVD in the Pioneer, there are no problems playing to the Sony TV, but the Projector shows no-signal. If I set the Projector HDMI from Enhanced to Standard, it will display the DVD output. I can play the same DVD on an Xbox One connected to the same Denon and have it display to the Projector with no issues.

I can only assume the Pioneer has some setting that is attempting to upscale the DVD which the Projector is not able to decode? Or am I way off the mark? Many thanks in advance for any and all advice on this. If there are any configuration points I have left out, please let me know and I’ll do my best to add them to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-30-2020, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Liked: 1598
The problem appears to lie with the projector, not the receiver or player, since they are working properly with the TV. As this really isn't a calibration issue, perhaps you should ask in the owner's thread for your model over in the appropriate projectors section.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #3 of 9 Old 06-30-2020, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
The problem appears to lie with the projector, not the receiver or player, since they are working properly with the TV. As this really isn't a calibration issue, perhaps you should ask in the owner's thread for your model over in the appropriate projectors section.
Thanks Royce. I'll try in the Projectors section, although it is odd that I can play DVDs in the Xbox to the Projector without the same issue. I thought I'd take a stab in the Calibration section first as you guys tend to be more aware of all of the deep settings of these devices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-30-2020, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1752 Post(s)
Liked: 7634
This might help you resolve your issues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
I don't have an Enhanced HDMI option per se on my C8. The only issue I had with directly connecting my legacy Comcast STB (1080 only) was an all pink screen and no audio. I just disabled Deep Color on that HDMI input and the problems went away. Maybe that does the same thing a eHDMI?

It's located in this thread...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...dmi-2-0-a.html
post #5 of 9 Old 06-30-2020, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Liked: 1598
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post

This. Even today, HDMI implementation is a mixed bag, with some systems being more robust than others. It's possible that your projector will not accept a signal that tells it "hey, I'm SDR" while it is set for Enhanced (HDR) inputs. That also happens with some SDR set top boxes when they (the source) will not send a signal to a display that is in an HDR-capable state. It seems that changes the EDID that the TV uses to indicate its capabilities. The box sees it and goes "Nope, Nope, Nope"...

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #6 of 9 Old 06-30-2020, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
This. Even today, HDMI implementation is a mixed bag, with some systems being more robust than others. It's possible that your projector will not accept a signal that tells it "hey, I'm SDR" while it is set for Enhanced (HDR) inputs. That also happens with some SDR set top boxes when they (the source) will not send a signal to a display that is in an HDR-capable state. It seems that changes the EDID that the TV uses to indicate its capabilities. The box sees it and goes "Nope, Nope, Nope"...
I've been considering a HDFury Vertex2 to use for this equipment as a switcher, etc. At the very least I could get some insight into the signal information.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-30-2020, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4042 Post(s)
Liked: 2898
Quote:

Thanks for the reply, albeit a bit late . The issue with the legacy Comcast box was resolved by connecting it directly to the C8 and disabling Deep Color on that HDMI input. The legacy box is HD (1080) only and only for network broadcast television (local HD stations) so no loss in audio with bypassing the receiver, connecting directly to the C8, and optical back for 5.1 audio. All other devices are connected to the receiver and then off to the tv.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-30-2020, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1752 Post(s)
Liked: 7634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Thanks for the reply, albeit a bit late . The issue with the legacy Comcast box was resolved by connecting it directly to the C8 and disabling Deep Color on that HDMI input. The legacy box is HD (1080) only and only for network broadcast television (local HD stations) so no loss in audio with bypassing the receiver, connecting directly to the C8, and optical back for 5.1 audio. All other devices are connected to the receiver and then off to the tv.
Oh, I meant it might help the OP of this current thread come close to resolving their issues.

Perhaps if they enable the Deep Color setting in their HDMI input, it might make it work for them.

Apologies... I guess I shouldn't have placed your quote in that manner as if I was replying to you.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-30-2020, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4042 Post(s)
Liked: 2898
Quote:
Oh, I meant it might help the OP of this current thread come close to resolving their issues.

Perhaps if they enable the Deep Color setting in their HDMI input, it might make it work for them.

Apologies... I guess I shouldn't have placed your quote in that manner as if I was replying to you.

Not a problem . I had forgotten all about that. But I am replacing the legacy xfinity box with an X1 box tomorrow (still HD only) but it has better hardware/software so it may not be an issue anymore.
SuperFist likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page