The NEW Gaming Headset/Headphone Topic! (REQUEST STICKY PLZ) - Page 200 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 65Likes

post #5971 of 6156 Old 01-09-2018, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoneys2k View Post
We're still targeting Q1 of this year. We'd ship sooner but Chinese New Year is right in the middle of this quarter so we'll be pushing for MP right after CNY. I'd keep your pre-order on Amazon since they don't charge you until it ships and you'll be first in line to get it. If you decide on something else before it ships you can always just cancel then.
thanks for the response!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5972 of 6156 Old 02-13-2018, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
We're still targeting Q1 of this year. We'd ship sooner but Chinese New Year is right in the middle of this quarter so we'll be pushing for MP right after CNY. I'd keep your pre-order on Amazon since they don't charge you until it ships and you'll be first in line to get it. If you decide on something else before it ships you can always just cancel then.
Any updates or a more solid time frame? Thanks.

edit: looks like CNY is 2/16

Last edited by b_scott; 02-13-2018 at 11:35 AM.
post #5973 of 6156 Old 02-14-2018, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I'm catching up on this thread, but in the meantime, I have a random question.

I currently have a Turtle Beach Elite 800x headset. I have nits to pick with it, but overall it's been great and I've used it for well over a year now. However, I now have a full on Dolby Atmos setup in my living room and in order to use that from my Xbox One S, I have to set the audio out to bitstream Dolby Atmos to my receiver. Microsoft won't allow the Xbox to output one audio source to the HDMI and another to the optical out apparently, so if I want Atmos going to my receiver, it automatically shuts off my optical audio out.

Well, that is the audio source for the base station that feeds the 800x headset. If I could just change it in settings every time I might could live with that, but it won't let me just do that. It forces me to unplug the optical cable from the Xbox in order for it to allow me to bitstream Atmos through the HDMI.

With all that said, if I gave up my 800x headset and got a set of headphones that use the Xbox wireless protocol to connect directly to the Xbox, would that solve my problem? (i.e. I could leave the HDMI out set to bitstream Atmos to my receiver AND my headset would still work?)

Just wondering if that will solve this frustrating problem. I don't really want to give up my 800X set, but I will if the other way will work.

70" Vizio M Series (2016 Model); Xbox One S; PS3; DirecTV
Marantz 6011; Polk Signature Series S30 Center; S60 Towers (L/R); S15 Surrounds; S10 Front Height Pair/Rear Height Pair for Atmos, Two SVS SB-2000 Subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5974 of 6156 Old 02-14-2018, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Yes it will.

I have the newer TB Stealth 700 (not worth the money FYI) that uses the XB wireless protocol and you will be able to set to bitstream to pass Atmos to your AVR.

Since I still highly prefer my ancient Stealth 500Xs - I plugged them back in - which has the same base which requires optical...which put me in the exact situation you are in

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddious33 View Post
I'm catching up on this thread, but in the meantime, I have a random question.

I currently have a Turtle Beach Elite 800x headset. I have nits to pick with it, but overall it's been great and I've used it for well over a year now. However, I now have a full on Dolby Atmos setup in my living room and in order to use that from my Xbox One S, I have to set the audio out to bitstream Dolby Atmos to my receiver. Microsoft won't allow the Xbox to output one audio source to the HDMI and another to the optical out apparently, so if I want Atmos going to my receiver, it automatically shuts off my optical audio out.

Well, that is the audio source for the base station that feeds the 800x headset. If I could just change it in settings every time I might could live with that, but it won't let me just do that. It forces me to unplug the optical cable from the Xbox in order for it to allow me to bitstream Atmos through the HDMI.

With all that said, if I gave up my 800x headset and got a set of headphones that use the Xbox wireless protocol to connect directly to the Xbox, would that solve my problem? (i.e. I could leave the HDMI out set to bitstream Atmos to my receiver AND my headset would still work?)

Just wondering if that will solve this frustrating problem. I don't really want to give up my 800X set, but I will if the other way will work.
siddious33 likes this.
post #5975 of 6156 Old 02-14-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usurpers26 View Post
Yes it will.

I have the newer TB Stealth 700 (not worth the money FYI) that uses the XB wireless protocol and you will be able to set to bitstream to pass Atmos to your AVR.

Since I still highly prefer my ancient Stealth 500Xs - I plugged them back in - which has the same base which requires optical...which put me in the exact situation you are in
Well I'll keep searching then.
post #5976 of 6156 Old 02-14-2018, 12:54 PM

There are a decent amount of headsets out there that utilize the MS wireless now.

I figured that I loved my 500s so much I would go with the newer TB 700s. Unfortunately they are not worth the $150 (to me). The sound quality is decent but no where near as good as my old 500s. I have a few other issues with them as well but I digress...they have been handed down to the kids while I use my 8 year old 500s...

I am waiting for the new Lucids to come out...if those also fail to impress I am just going to buy all the 500s I can find on ebay and call it a day

Quote:
Well I'll keep searching then.
post #5977 of 6156 Old 02-14-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
There are a decent amount of headsets out there that utilize the MS wireless now.

I figured that I loved my 500s so much I would go with the newer TB 700s. Unfortunately they are not worth the $150 (to me). The sound quality is decent but no where near as good as my old 500s. I have a few other issues with them as well but I digress...they have been handed down to the kids while I use my 8 year old 500s...

I am waiting for the new Lucids to come out...if those also fail to impress I am just going to buy all the 500s I can find on ebay and call it a day
That's the problem. I actually really like my TB 800X set, and I don't want to ditch it. It works great for me, has great sound, etc. I have my issues with it, don't get me wrong. I have a large head and so it does hurt after a few hours, but it's not THAT bad. Still, I don't want to ditch what was a $300 headset at the time for something of far less sound quality just to get around a stupid technical glitch.

I'm hoping the Lucids get high praise. I'd try those.

Honestly though, I don't know why MS can't just make it where I can send Atmos out via HDMI while sending DD out via the optical cable.
post #5978 of 6156 Old 02-14-2018, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
That's the problem. I actually really like my TB 800X set, and I don't want to ditch it. It works great for me, has great sound, etc. I have my issues with it, don't get me wrong. I have a large head and so it does hurt after a few hours, but it's not THAT bad. Still, I don't want to ditch what was a $300 headset at the time for something of far less sound quality just to get around a stupid technical glitch.

I'm hoping the Lucids get high praise. I'd try those.

Honestly though, I don't know why MS can't just make it where I can send Atmos out via HDMI while sending DD out via the optical cable.
Same feelings here. I've the TB 500X now, but I'm waiting on the Lucid Sounds. Hoping the sound quality gets rave reviews...

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #5979 of 6156 Old 02-15-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Yes it will.

Just curious, what were your issues with the TB Stealth 700? I've seen good reviews of it and the 600. Would love to know what problems you had with it.
post #5980 of 6156 Old 02-15-2018, 02:43 PM

So I wore these for about 3 months. The last month I would switch between the 700s and 500s to get a better A/B.

1 - Overall sound quality. They lack any sense of depth and both highs and lows seem very muted. The sound presets/EQ are poor in number and performance, I think there were only 3 choices. I ended up settling on bass+treble boost (it helped a little, although now sounds could be a bit harsh).

2 - Design. Very counter intuitive. Both volume dials are in awkward spots and the buttons are clunky, sometimes non responsive and there's no kind of tactile difference. So I think I am on power...nope, turn bluetooth off...oh now i am on power...nope, turn superhuman hearing on...which was super gimmicky as well. I was torn on how you need the app on your phone to make changes, it was cool and annoying at the same time.

3 - Voice chat. I play almost always with a party. Randomly (unbeknownst to me) my voice would degrade into a tinny/robotic mess. My buds would have to tell me "hot mic", power it off and on and I was good...for another hour or so. Rinse and repeat. Never figured this one out. TB claims wifi interference. I claim BS (see below). Think it is either a firmware bug or some sort of issue with the wireless protocol.

4 - Got these day one. Major disconnect issues (4-5 times an hour). TB was very good in addressing and eventually fixing. However, again - they initially claimed wifi interference...ok, plausible, I will play along. Powered off my wifi. Everything I need is hardwired. Scanned my home (zero radios picked up, I live in the woods). Same results with disconnects and voice chat issues.

In all honesty, #3 was the final straw for me.

I did like how they fit, they were pretty comfortable for my head and I liked the flip the mic to mute. Battery life was excellent. The noise cancellation feature worked well, although if I was forced to pick one I would save a few bucks and get the 600s - I realized my ears much prefer a fabric design.

Quote:
Just curious, what were your issues with the TB Stealth 700? I've seen good reviews of it and the 600. Would love to know what problems you had with it.
post #5981 of 6156 Old 02-15-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
So I wore these for about 3 months. The last month I would switch between the 700s and 500s to get a better A/B.

1 - Overall sound quality. They lack any sense of depth and both highs and lows seem very muted. The sound presets/EQ are poor in number and performance, I think there were only 3 choices. I ended up settling on bass+treble boost (it helped a little, although now sounds could be a bit harsh).

2 - Design. Very counter intuitive. Both volume dials are in awkward spots and the buttons are clunky, sometimes non responsive and there's no kind of tactile difference. So I think I am on power...nope, turn bluetooth off...oh now i am on power...nope, turn superhuman hearing on...which was super gimmicky as well. I was torn on how you need the app on your phone to make changes, it was cool and annoying at the same time.

3 - Voice chat. I play almost always with a party. Randomly (unbeknownst to me) my voice would degrade into a tinny/robotic mess. My buds would have to tell me "hot mic", power it off and on and I was good...for another hour or so. Rinse and repeat. Never figured this one out. TB claims wifi interference. I claim BS (see below). Think it is either a firmware bug or some sort of issue with the wireless protocol.

4 - Got these day one. Major disconnect issues (4-5 times an hour). TB was very good in addressing and eventually fixing. However, again - they initially claimed wifi interference...ok, plausible, I will play along. Powered off my wifi. Everything I need is hardwired. Scanned my home (zero radios picked up, I live in the woods). Same results with disconnects and voice chat issues.

I did like how they fit, they were pretty comfortable for my head and I liked the flip the mic to mute. Battery life was excellent. The noise cancellation feature worked well, although if I was forced to pick one I would save a few bucks and get the 600s - I realized my ears much prefer a fabric design.
Thanks for the thorough answers. I was thinking about trying a pair of 600s mainly because I do not in anyway need the noise cancelling or bluetooth features. The 600 also puts more physical control on the headset instead of having to use the phone app. And it would save me some money.

We're so close now to the Lucids coming out though maybe I'll just wait.

Honestly, life with my TB 800x set is not all wine and roses. I never use the noise cancellation on it because when I do, I can't hear myself at all and I end up shouting, defeating the purpose of wearing headphones. I know mic monitoring is supposed to alleviate that but no matter how I've ever set them mic monitoring has never worked on mine, at all. I can never hear myself in the headphones.

The sound, however, is really good. I'm sure I would hate the sound difference of going from my 800x set to the 600, but it's not like I use my headset for watching movies or listening to music. I really only use them for gaming so if the 600s would give me decent sound along with good chat sound, and free up my xbox to pass through atmos to my receiver while avoiding the whole optical cable problem, then that intrigues me...
post #5982 of 6156 Old 02-16-2018, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Has anyone here tried the new Sennsenheiser GSP 600 wired headsets yet? They just came out and they are very pricey at $249, but on sale the other day for $185. Heard they sound pretty darn good, but the price tag is a little steep and I'm not sure how much better they could be over my HyperX Cloud Revolver S.

Come join our adult gaming community at www.syndicatedgaming.com

XBL, PSN, and Steam: diehardcubfn
post #5983 of 6156 Old 02-16-2018, 12:41 PM

Anyone have rumors or insight into the Lucidsound LS35X? It says I can use it with my phone, does that mean it has bluetooth? Will it have an input jack for 3.5mm? Is it going to be noise cancelling? I can't really tell from the little I've seen about it online.

I guess the big question is "Will it really launch on March 31 now?"

I really like the way it looks and could totally see using this as a noise cancelling set for listening to music or movies on a plane, or traveling in general. Would love to have that option on top of a good headset for gaming. Just wondering if anyone knows...

Marantz 6011; Polk Signature Series S30 Center; S60 Towers (L/R); S15 Surrounds; S10 Front Height Pair/Rear Height Pair for Atmos, Two SVS SB-2000 Subs
post #5984 of 6156 Old 02-16-2018, 12:54 PM

I think you would be fine with the 600s, especially for only $90. Worst case, buy em from Amazon and check them out for a couple of weeks and if you don't like them, return em.

Yeah, ANC disables mic monitoring...

I am waiting for the Lucids myself. Hopefully they live up to the hype!

Quote:
Thanks for the thorough answers. I was thinking about trying a pair of 600s mainly because I do not in anyway need the noise cancelling or bluetooth features. The 600 also puts more physical control on the headset instead of having to use the phone app. And it would save me some money.

We're so close now to the Lucids coming out though maybe I'll just wait.

Honestly, life with my TB 800x set is not all wine and roses. I never use the noise cancellation on it because when I do, I can't hear myself at all and I end up shouting, defeating the purpose of wearing headphones. I know mic monitoring is supposed to alleviate that but no matter how I've ever set them mic monitoring has never worked on mine, at all. I can never hear myself in the headphones.

The sound, however, is really good. I'm sure I would hate the sound difference of going from my 800x set to the 600, but it's not like I use my headset for watching movies or listening to music. I really only use them for gaming so if the 600s would give me decent sound along with good chat sound, and free up my xbox to pass through atmos to my receiver while avoiding the whole optical cable problem, then that intrigues me...
post #5985 of 6156 Old 02-16-2018, 01:01 PM

Couple pages back...no BT or ANC.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/141-xb...l#post55160478

Quote:
Anyone have rumors or insight into the Lucidsound LS35X? It says I can use it with my phone, does that mean it has bluetooth? Will it have an input jack for 3.5mm? Is it going to be noise cancelling? I can't really tell from the little I've seen about it online.

I guess the big question is "Will it really launch on March 31 now?"

I really like the way it looks and could totally see using this as a noise cancelling set for listening to music or movies on a plane, or traveling in general. Would love to have that option on top of a good headset for gaming. Just wondering if anyone knows...
post #5986 of 6156 Old 02-16-2018, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Disagree on 1,3,4. Have had these since the middle of November and have experienced 0 disconnects or mic problems.

Sound quality is fine for $150 headphones.
post #5987 of 6156 Old 02-16-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_B View Post
Disagree on 1,3,4. Have had these since the middle of November and have experienced 0 disconnects or mic problems.

I think I might just try a set of 600s as I don't really need any of the extra stuff on the 700s, although I do think the 700s look better. Might give 'em a shot as a workaround and stick my elite 800s in the closet in the short term just in case I feel like I have to go back. Otherwise, as much as I hate to do it, I'll probably just sell the 800s. If there was a pair that could direct connect to the xbox, but also support blue tooth for music and noise canceling for travel, that might be my holy grail.

Might just grab a set of these 600s from Target and use those for a while.

post #5988 of 6156 Old 02-17-2018, 07:39 AM

I got them day one - they were plagued with disconnects (read any review from the first month they were out) - that TB fixed. I noted both. I am glad you bought them after they fixed the issue.

Anyhow, seeing the 600s are $89 and have the same sound...I think this is more appropriate:

The sound quality is fine for $89 headphones not $150.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_B View Post

post #5989 of 6156 Old 02-18-2018, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
I got them day one - they were plagued with disconnects (read any review from the first month they were out) - that TB fixed. I noted both. I am glad you bought them after they fixed the issue.

Anyhow, seeing the 600s are $89 and have the same sound...I think this is more appropriate:

The sound quality is fine for $89 headphones not $150.

I just returned a set of 600’s to Target and a set of Plantronics Rig 800XL’s to Best Buy .

There was a firmware update from December for the TB Stealth 600’s and they clearly state to upgrade the firmware before using them. I had absolutely no disconnects at all. The issue I did have besides the discomfort when using them was they just didn’t sound very good compared to the Plantronics Rig 800XL’s. I hate headsets in general and I especially despise wired headsets. I much preferred using my Kinect for chat but can’t find the adapter for my Xbox One X unless I want to pay over 200 bucks for it.

I mainly play in a party and sometimes will play for up to 6 hours at a stretch and the TB Stealth 600’s and the Rig 800’s both hurt my ears/head during lengthy game sessions and I found them both to be hot with the 600’s being the worse of the two. The 600’s did have mic monitoring and it did the job it was intended to do. I had no problems hearing myself and it was adjustable so you could make your own voice as low or as loud as you needed.

I picked the TB 600’s over the 700’s due to the cloth covered foam instead of the fake leather which is a guarantee to make my ears sweat. I live in South Florida and the humidity is always high down here and I have the thermostat set @ a comfy 73. There are times for sweating but sitting on my couch while gaming isn’t one of them and having your headset cause your ears to feel like they’re on fire isn’t my idea of a pleasurable experience. And no, I’m not “Fat Bastard” from “The Spy Who Shagged Me”, I’m 6’ @ 195 lbs and have a high metabolism so I naturally run hot.

The Rig 800XL’s did not have mic monitoring but I had no problems hearing myself speak. As for the sound, they simply blew the 600’s out of the water in the sound department and my friends said I sounded better than when i was using the 600’s as well. Unlike the 600’s use of the MS Wireless protocol the Rig 800XL’s use a dongle that occupies one of your Xbox’s USB ports and since I have two external drives I had to unplug the dongle to charge the headset. They have a 24 hour claimed battery life but I actually got about 14 - 16 hours which I still consider to be ver good. The 600’s have a claimed battery life of 15 hours and I got around 12 before they needed to be charged.

The biggest issue I had was the clamping force of the two headsets. Because of their plastic injection mold headband no matter how much or how long you stretch them out they will go back to their original manufactured state. I put them both on a basketball for over 48 hours and once removed they went back to their original shape after an hour or so. My head always felt like it was in a vice after a few hours with either set and I couldn’t wait to return them and get my money back.

I’ve decided to go wired even though I hate wires and try the Philips SHP9500S mentioned in this thread -

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/122-gr...ones-50-a.html

I read through the reviews and they seem to be right up my alley for cooler comfort since they’re an open back design that will hopefully let the heat escape. The few bad reviews were from people who claimed they hardly had any clamping force and would barely stay on their head or they didn’t realize that an open back design means other people near you can hear your headset. Open back designs are not meant for gaming in bed while the wife is sleeping next to you. For $50 I’ll give them a shot and hope they serve as a stopgap until something better that’s wireless comes along.

They’ll be here next week and I’ll offer up my opinion after some testing.

Edit: According to Amazon, the V-MODA BoomPro mic needed for party chat wont be here until March 6th - 14th so my opinion won’t be posted for a few weeks.

Last edited by smithfarmer; 02-18-2018 at 06:38 AM.
post #5990 of 6156 Old 02-18-2018, 07:10 AM

Totally understood - problem was I got them day one, there was no firmware out yet My support case supposedly went to "level 3" and TB was excellent with communicating with me and I actually got access to the first 3 FW releases before they were released to the public. The 3rd FW release fixed the disconnects permanently.

You made another good point, totally forgot about the ear sweat! Long sessions definitely reminded me that I prefer cloth vs faux leather.

I also loathe the chat cable - so that rules out a lot of headsets for me. I really hope the new Lucids are awesome, I have slight reservations at just how "awesome" any headset can be with the new wireless tech though. So far it seems headsets with a base just sound better - although this is totally presumptuous on my end and/or bias due to just how much I enjoy my 500s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithfarmer View Post
I just returned a set of 600’s to Target and a set of Plantronics Rig 800XL’s to Best Buy .

There was a firmware update from December for the TB Stealth 600’s and they clearly state to upgrade the firmware before using them. I had absolutely no disconnects at all.
smithfarmer likes this.
post #5991 of 6156 Old 02-18-2018, 08:10 AM

So I did NOT try the Turtle Beach Stealth 600s. Instead, I ordered a Razer Thresher with direct connect wireless: https://smile.amazon.com/Razer-Thres...thresher&psc=1

Got it set up last night and played a couple of hours of Gears of War 4, watched a little Mad Max Fury Road and listened to some music via Pandora Plus. I didn't have anyone to party up with last night so I did not get a chance to try out chat yet, but I can confirm that this headset DOES have mic monitoring. It's not really advertised by them and I had seen a ton of reviews complaining that there is no mic monitoring. However, if you press in the left audio wheel, like a button, and hold it for a second, you'll get a tone and mic monitoring is on. I do not think it's adjustable and it's not a super high level, but I was able to test it while listening to a movie and I could hear myself talk, so this was a big bonus for me as I was assuming it just wouldn't have that feature.

Again, I have only played a couple of hours and I haven't tried chat yet, but here's my initial thoughts:

1. Everything about this headset is dead simple. Good, solid, simple packaging with the headset safely nestled in black foam within the box. One small box inside the big box holds the USB charging cable and the instructions. You also get a Razer sticker.

2. Setup is also really easy. Once the set is charged (I didn't wait to fully charge it to be honest) you simply turn on the Xbox and press the pairing button. Then hold the power button on the headset down until the Razer logo on the earcup starts flashing quickly. In about 5 seconds or so it pairs up with the Xbox directly and you're done.

3. Sound is good. Not the best I've ever heard but really solid. The sound is clear, which is my biggest issue anyway. It's not naturally as heavy with the bass as many other headsets I've heard, but what's there is clear and tight.

4. Comfort level is high for me. This set puts way less pressure on my giant head than most gaming headsets I've tried. This fits more like an old school, full size set of cans. Note: This is definitely a full sized headset. It is not compact in anyway. If you have a small head, this is going to look gigantic on you. The large size means the ear cups completely cover my ears and provide a nice sense of space since the drivers have a little room away from your ears.

5. Controls are straightforward. There's a power button, a charging port, a chat balance wheel that can also be pressed in like a button to mute the chat mic, or held down for turning mic monitoring on and off. There is an audio wheel on the right earcup for game volume. It can be pressed in like a button to mute the game audio. You do not get anything to tell you what you're changing other than sound tones in the headset.

6. Being able to connect directly to the Xbox is great and totally solves my problem with Atmos for home theater. When I turn on the headset, it automatically switches to optimization for headsets. When I power it off, the Xbox goes back to bitstream for home theater. I can also confirm that you can turn on the Xbox system by turning on these headsets. I did notice if you turn the headset on or off during a stream (Vudu, YouTube, etc.) it crashes the player and you have to restart it from where you were. Not a big deal to me as i would never be doing that midstream, but I wanted to point it out.

7. Surround sound is good to very good depending on the use. I tried them in stereo, Windows Sonic, and Dolby Atmos. I tend to prefer the Atmos setup for most things, especially with games or apps that directly support Atmos. Once it's setup, listening to the Atmos trailers sound amazing. Played some Overwatch and Gears of War this way too. Pretty Slick. Windows Sonic sounds good too. I just felt like Atmos gave me a little better spatial sense of sound. Honestly though, both are really good. Stereo support is good and music sounds very good in this set. Again, I've heard headsets that are much better for music, but they are also typically twice as expensive and these are very solid at a price of $149.

COMPARISON TO MY TURTLE BEACH ELITE 800X
1. Again, to me these Razers are WAY more comfortable. The 800s were always tight on my head and caused me to have a headache after a couple of hours.

2. The 800s sound better. There's no way around that. The 800s naturally sound more dynamic to me and you have equalization and preset sound options. You also get a voice that tells you what you're changing, rather than just a tone. (i.e. when you change sound profiles, the 800s will tell you that you've changed to "footstep focus" or "signature sound.") The bass sounds better by default in the 800s, but it can become a little boomy if you have it amped up in a setting while watching a movie. The Razers have much more treble than the 800s but they still sound really good. Remember, the 800s were 300 bucks when I bought them, and they run from an optical cable with the base station handling surround sound. The Razers are a very good stereo set that cost 149.

3. The 800s have a lot more features such as noise cancellation, bluetooth, etc. The Razers are just for use with the Xbox, period. I'm fine with that as I like having a dedicated headset just for gaming.

WRAPPING UP MY INITIAL THOUGHTS
With a few hours under my belt with the Razers, I really, really like them. If the chat function is solid, I'll likely keep them and they will replace my 800s. Yes, the 800s are a nicer headset, and they do sound better in most cases. However, they also cost me twice as much, made my head hurt from the tension of the headband, and mic monitoring never worked on them for me, ever.

The Razers sound very good, maybe really only like one notch down in sound quality from my 800s and they cost half as much. (Well, $100 less now as the 800s can be had new for $249 now, but still...) They also solve my home theater problem by connecting directly to the Xbox. I can now have a dedicated headset that supports everything I need it to AND leave my Xbox app and bluray player set to directly stream and pass through Atmos to my receiver and it's all automatic. Much better solution for me.

I still have to really test the chat feature and spend some time with this set before I decide for sure to keep them longterm or not, but I'm already leaning that way. So far I think this headset is a very good deal at a price of $149.

I'll keep everyone posted on other feedback as I test. I am really pleased with this set so far!
smithfarmer likes this.

post #5992 of 6156 Old 02-18-2018, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Usurpers26-

Yeah, the hate for cables is strong with me but I’m tired of putting my head in a vice. Since I returned the other headsets I had to go back to using the pack-in headset that came with my launch Xbox One and have it hanging around my neck just for the mic and use the tv speakers for game sounds. Right now though I just don’t see another alternative.
post #5993 of 6156 Old 02-18-2018, 08:47 AM

Excellent comparison! It gives me hope for an alternative if need be. Please update your thoughts after a couple of weeks.

Quote:
So I did NOT try the Turtle Beach Stealth 600s. Instead, I ordered a Razer Thresher with direct connect wireless: https://smile.amazon.com/Razer-Thres...thresher&psc=1

Got it set up last night and played a couple of hours of Gears of War 4, watched a little Mad Max Fury Road and listened to some music via Pandora Plus. I didn't have anyone to party up with last night so I did not get a chance to try out chat yet, but I can confirm that this headset DOES have mic monitoring. It's not really advertised by them and I had seen a ton of reviews complaining that there is no mic monitoring. However, if you press in the left audio wheel, like a button, and hold it for a second, you'll get a tone and mic monitoring is on. I do not think it's adjustable and it's not a super high level, but I was able to test it while listening to a movie and I could hear myself talk, so this was a big bonus for me as I was assuming it just wouldn't have that feature.

Again, I have only played a couple of hours and I haven't tried chat yet, but here's my initial thoughts:

1. Everything about this headset is dead simple. Good, solid, simple packaging with the headset safely nestled in black foam within the box. One small box inside the big box holds the USB charging cable and the instructions. You also get a Razer sticker.

2. Setup is also really easy. Once the set is charged (I didn't wait to fully charge it to be honest) you simply turn on the Xbox and press the pairing button. Then hold the power button on the headset down until the Razer logo on the earcup starts flashing quickly. In about 5 seconds or so it pairs up with the Xbox directly and you're done.

3. Sound is good. Not the best I've ever heard but really solid. The sound is clear, which is my biggest issue anyway. It's not naturally as heavy with the bass as many other headsets I've heard, but what's there is clear and tight.

4. Comfort level is high for me. This set puts way less pressure on my giant head than most gaming headsets I've tried. This fits more like an old school, full size set of cans. Note: This is definitely a full sized headset. It is not compact in anyway. If you have a small head, this is going to look gigantic on you. The large size means the ear cups completely cover my ears and provide a nice sense of space since the drivers have a little room away from your ears.

5. Controls are straightforward. There's a power button, a charging port, a chat balance wheel that can also be pressed in like a button to mute the chat mic, or held down for turning mic monitoring on and off. There is an audio wheel on the right earcup for game volume. It can be pressed in like a button to mute the game audio. You do not get anything to tell you what you're changing other than sound tones in the headset.

6. Being able to connect directly to the Xbox is great and totally solves my problem with Atmos for home theater. When I turn on the headset, it automatically switches to optimization for headsets. When I power it off, the Xbox goes back to bitstream for home theater. I can also confirm that you can turn on the Xbox system by turning on these headsets. I did notice if you turn the headset on or off during a stream (Vudu, YouTube, etc.) it crashes the player and you have to restart it from where you were. Not a big deal to me as i would never be doing that midstream, but I wanted to point it out.

7. Surround sound is good to very good depending on the use. I tried them in stereo, Windows Sonic, and Dolby Atmos. I tend to prefer the Atmos setup for most things, especially with games or apps that directly support Atmos. Once it's setup, listening to the Atmos trailers sound amazing. Played some Overwatch and Gears of War this way too. Pretty Slick. Windows Sonic sounds good too. I just felt like Atmos gave me a little better spatial sense of sound. Honestly though, both are really good. Stereo support is good and music sounds very good in this set. Again, I've heard headsets that are much better for music, but they are also typically twice as expensive and these are very solid at a price of $149.

COMPARISON TO MY TURTLE BEACH ELITE 800X
1. Again, to me these Razers are WAY more comfortable. The 800s were always tight on my head and caused me to have a headache after a couple of hours.

2. The 800s sound better. There's no way around that. The 800s naturally sound more dynamic to me and you have equalization and preset sound options. You also get a voice that tells you what you're changing, rather than just a tone. (i.e. when you change sound profiles, the 800s will tell you that you've changed to "footstep focus" or "signature sound.") The bass sounds better by default in the 800s, but it can become a little boomy if you have it amped up in a setting while watching a movie. The Razers have much more treble than the 800s but they still sound really good. Remember, the 800s were 300 bucks when I bought them, and they run from an optical cable with the base station handling surround sound. The Razers are a very good stereo set that cost 149.

3. The 800s have a lot more features such as noise cancellation, bluetooth, etc. The Razers are just for use with the Xbox, period. I'm fine with that as I like having a dedicated headset just for gaming.

WRAPPING UP MY INITIAL THOUGHTS
With a few hours under my belt with the Razers, I really, really like them. If the chat function is solid, I'll likely keep them and they will replace my 800s. Yes, the 800s are a nicer headset, and they do sound better in most cases. However, they also cost me twice as much, made my head hurt from the tension of the headband, and mic monitoring never worked on them for me, ever.

The Razers sound very good, maybe really only like one notch down in sound quality from my 800s and they cost half as much. (Well, $100 less now as the 800s can be had new for $249 now, but still...) They also solve my home theater problem by connecting directly to the Xbox. I can now have a dedicated headset that supports everything I need it to AND leave my Xbox app and bluray player set to directly stream and pass through Atmos to my receiver and it's all automatic. Much better solution for me.

I still have to really test the chat feature and spend some time with this set before I decide for sure to keep them longterm or not, but I'm already leaning that way. So far I think this headset is a very good deal at a price of $149.

I'll keep everyone posted on other feedback as I test. I am really pleased with this set so far!
siddious33 likes this.
post #5994 of 6156 Old 02-18-2018, 08:52 AM

I hear ya on both accounts! My head is big and I definitely noticed a difference between the 500s and 700s with overall comfort during long sessions.

@siddious33 just put up some promising info on the Razers. Not the first person in this thread to be happy with them either.

Quote:
Usurpers26-

Yeah, the hate for cables is strong with me but I’m tired of putting my head in a vice. Since I returned the other headsets I had to go back to using the pack-in headset that came with my launch Xbox One and have it hanging around my neck just for the mic and use the tv speakers for game sounds. Right now though I just don’t see another alternative.
post #5995 of 6156 Old 02-21-2018, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Paging @amoneys2k ..... there's 40 days left in Q1. Any word?
post #5996 of 6156 Old 02-21-2018, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Usurpers26-

why not just wear the mic on your ear? it's just one side, it can't pinch your head that much.
post #5997 of 6156 Old 02-21-2018, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
why not just wear the mic on your ear? it's just one side, it can't pinch your head that much.
The lightweight pack in headset that come with the Xbox doesn’t bother me at all and I’m only using the headsets’ mic for my voice while I’m in party chat. I have party chat and game sounds coming through my tv speakers. Sorry if I wasn’t clear enough. The 9500’s are supposed to be here today and the V-MODA BoomPro mic should be here in a couple of weeks.
post #5998 of 6156 Old 02-21-2018, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The lightweight pack in headset that come with the Xbox doesn’t bother me at all and I’m only using the headsets’ mic for my voice while I’m in party chat. I have party chat and game sounds coming through my tv speakers. Sorry if I wasn’t clear enough. The 9500’s are supposed to be here today and the V-MODA BoomPro mic should be here in a couple of weeks.
Sorry I knew you had chat coming through your speakers, I just feel like it's way easier to hear in the headset. No worries.
post #5999 of 6156 Old 02-22-2018, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Official update coming soon...
Hopefully you get them out for reviews on the net before release...

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #6000 of 6156 Old 02-23-2018, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
Sorry I knew you had chat coming through your speakers, I just feel like it's way easier to hear in the headset. No worries.
It’s all good. In most instances you’re probably right but the only game I’m playing right now is PUBG and I have friends who can’t help but be back seat drivers once they’ve died and try to give advice when you’ve made it to the last 10 alive. It’s moments like those when I need to hear an enemy crawling on the ground near me and not a friends voice in my ear blocking out those sounds. Since I’m using the pack-in headset for party chat, if I’m wearing the headset I can’t hear game sounds as well as when I just have the headset hanging around my neck and have both chat and game sounds coming through the tv speakers and I don’t know about you but I love me some chicken dinners. 🙃

Edited for clarity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page