The NEW Gaming Headset/Headphone Topic! (REQUEST STICKY PLZ) - Page 204 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 65Likes

post #6091 of 6152 Old 10-13-2018, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I’m hoping I don’t get sound cut outs like I do with the LS20’s. I attribute that to using the controller to transmit sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6092 of 6152 Old 10-13-2018, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoneys2k View Post
How often did that happen when listening through the controller?

Hard to say. It’s noticeable but only happens on Xbox. Not when I’m using it as a headset for my PC or Phone. It’s a cut/crackle. Might be my controller but it’s the Elite so I don’t know.

post #6093 of 6152 Old 10-14-2018, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So far so good! Sound is good, balancing is intuitive and easy, mic monitoring is great and I like that you can do anything direct from the headset. I notice there is no balance option when you hit the xbox button like there normally is on a headset, but I assume that's just because you balance on the set itself.
amoneys2k and rightintel like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6094 of 6152 Old 10-15-2018, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

LS35x's are so comfortable. They knocked it out of the park in that aspect. They're closed cans but they feel like clouds on your head.
amoneys2k likes this.
post #6095 of 6152 Old 10-15-2018, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The syncing is so easy. Just like syncing a controller, and when you turn the headset on it auto-syncs.

I do wish that the Xbox would only output sound to the headphones when connected. I have to always turn my TV down to zero (can't mute, since there is a mute icon on my LG).
post #6096 of 6152 Old 10-15-2018, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 39
i am considering getting the gsp 500 and using it with my fiio a3 headphone amp. anyone have this unit? i am looking for input on the gsp 500 on the xbox one control.
post #6097 of 6152 Old 10-16-2018, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

with the L35x, I'm noticing that the Xbox One X is having trouble transmitting the sound smoothly to the headset when playing local movies with Plex. The sound is fine on the TV connection, but the headset it's not listenable. I wonder if this is an Xbox issue or the headset.
post #6098 of 6152 Old 10-16-2018, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Does this happen with any other app or game? Also, when using Plex did you try plugging a headset into the 3.5mm port on the controller? Do you get the same issue?
I get dropouts during the menus in Overwatch: Origins when it's loading to another menu part, I've noticed. I assume this is the Xbox having trouble sending audio and loading the new visual at the same time.

I will try the 3.5mm to the L20's and see if I get the same issues, when I have a chance.
post #6099 of 6152 Old 10-16-2018, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Does this happen with any other app or game? Also, when using Plex did you try plugging a headset into the 3.5mm port on the controller? Do you get the same issue?

Seems to have been a fluke. Works ok now.

amoneys2k likes this.
post #6100 of 6152 Old 10-30-2018, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

has anyone else gotten the LS35x's?
post #6101 of 6152 Old 10-30-2018, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Interested in them after some better than expected reviews. Turnoff mostly IMO is price and the cutouts. Maybe I'll grab them when they go on a discount.

Come join our adult gaming community at www.syndicatedgaming.com

XBL, PSN, and Steam: diehardcubfn
post #6102 of 6152 Old 10-30-2018, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #6103 of 6152 Old 11-02-2018, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Tried to use the 35x's to play Red Dead 2 tonight and it was unplayable. Constant dropouts over and over. I'm in the Alpha ring for Xbox updates if that helps.
post #6104 of 6152 Old 11-02-2018, 10:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
Tried to use the 35x's to play Red Dead 2 tonight and it was unplayable. Constant dropouts over and over. I'm in the Alpha ring for Xbox updates if that helps.
Is it just that game? Is there anything in your environment that could contribute to it?

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #6105 of 6152 Old 11-03-2018, 12:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
Is it just that game? Is there anything in your environment that could contribute to it?

I was trying to chat with my friend. He was playing with mixer streaming but that shouldn’t have affected me. It seems to have worked itself out somehow. I didn’t try another game.

post #6106 of 6152 Old 11-24-2018, 11:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So I’m a bit upset about this cyber Monday deal in a couple hours. I paid 179 for the LS35x’s for a 15 month wait. Now a week out of the return window they are going to be 50% off.
post #6107 of 6152 Old 11-25-2018, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
So I’m a bit upset about this cyber Monday deal in a couple hours. I paid 179 for the LS35x’s for a 15 month wait. Now a week out of the return window they are going to be 50% off.
Contact them directly and push a little, they'll probably cave.

post #6108 of 6152 Old 11-27-2018, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Contact them directly and push a little, they'll probably cave.
I doubt @amoneys2k will do anything. What sucks is even if you didn't get the 50% at 5AM EST, they were still on sale for $135 at Amazon all day long. Which is still 25% off.
post #6109 of 6152 Old 11-27-2018, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey b_scott. PM me with your email address and I'll see what I can do. I can't do the 50% off because that was for only a very limited number of units for the deal and hundreds of people tried to get the deal at 5am. If this were at retail you would have had to camp out overnight to be first in line and probably wrestle some people for the product. Fortunately it's a bit more civil online.

BTW, did you put the V2.4 firmware update on your headset yet?

https://lucidsound.zendesk.com/hc/en...rmware-Updater
Thanks @amoneys2k . My issue isn't that I needed a second one, but that the huge discount (or decent one at 25%) was offered to soon after launch after such a long wait on my preorder. There's nothing you can really do about it I'm sure, other than giving credit for lucidsound accessories.

I did just install the new firmware. I think it has improved connection, though during RDR2 I still get the random crackles and pops. It doesn't cut out anymore as far as I can tell, but I've only used it for one night since the update.
post #6110 of 6152 Old 12-20-2018, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Best new Headsets under $100 for all systems. Wired is still the best way to go and the Cool Master MH751/752 fit the bill perfectly for Comfort, Sound, and affordability. Normal price is $80/$100, but on sale at Best Buy for $60/$80.

http://www.coolermaster.com/peripheral/audio/mh751/

http://www.coolermaster.com/peripheral/audio/mh752/

These headsets feel like your not even wearing them they are so light. Sound is very vibrant and all Lo, Mid, and Highs come in just right. Never would have thought these would be so good. No frills with going wired and not having to deal with finicky wireless headsets that need firmware updates to work or having to deal with interference issues.

Come join our adult gaming community at www.syndicatedgaming.com

XBL, PSN, and Steam: diehardcubfn
post #6111 of 6152 Old 01-10-2019, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I never noticed this thread here in all my time in the AVR section! Very cool to see the crossover for headsets.
post #6112 of 6152 Old 01-10-2019, 04:58 PM

Buyer Beware of the LucidSound LS series headsets!

Quote:
I have yet to see the Stealth 700 in person, but it also uses the same wireless connection as the LS35X. Both pair to your Xbox One just like a controller. From what I can see online regarding the Stealth 700, here are some advantages of the LS35X:

- Intuitive and easy to find volume controls for Game and Chat audio...searching for controls on a wireless headset was always a pet peeve of ours
- Easy to find playback and mic mute buttons (the whole side of the earcup is a button on each side)
- Boom mic has a mic mute LED to easily tell if it's muted
- Major stress points made of metal instead of plastic including the frame extenders and earcup rotation points
- Dual material earpads with gel coated memory foam (gel coat helps cooling). The part that touches your head is breathable fabric while the sides that don't touch your ears are synthetic leather for better sound (fabric/foam absorbs sound)
- We enlarged the interior earcup space to more comfortably fit larger ears
- Mic monitor can be turned on/off
- I personally (and of course I'm biased here) feel that the acoustics are superior to TB headsets in this price range
- While the Stealth 700 features bluetooth and we use a 3.5mm connection for phones, I think our styling is better and more suited for wearing outdoors. And our boom mic is removable while leaving the internal mic available for taking phone calls.

You can see from our past headsets that we receive quite favorable reviews:

http://www.techradar.com/news/best-c...4-and-xbox-one

“Best wireless Xbox One headset”

“LucidSound LS40 - A wireless headset without the compromises”

https://www.windowscentral.com/lucid...headset-review

“LucidSound LS40 is a near-perfect headset for Xbox One and PC”

“I've reviewed and tested dozens of headsets for Xbox One and PC, and I can quite honestly say LucidSound's LS40 comes close to perfection.”

http://www.t3.com/reviews/lucidsound...headset-review

"The LucidSound LS40s, in terms of sound quality, are absolutely top rate and match or exceed every other gaming headset on the market. The volumetric DTS Headphone:X sound space is fantastic and genuinely adds a level of immersion that you just don't get in LucidSound's lower-range offerings."

Many more reviews here:

http://www.lucidsound.com/reviews.html

I'll try not to turn this into spam, but if you have questions, please ask!

Thanks!
I want to warn about the LS30/35/40 headsets. There is a significant product flaw that causes the headband to crack and eventually snap in half at the peak. I do not know if the new LS41 has the same problem.

Not sure if this is allowed, but I would highly encourage you to read these customer reviews first before purchasing:
https://www.amazon.com/LucidSound-Pr...yKeyword=crack

Mine have also begun the process of failing after only 12 months of very careful use and storage.

Otherwise my LS40's have been mostly positive. I will say my gripes about the mic feedback ("sidetone") remain to this day: You cannot adjust it independently, it is based off the main volume, and you must turn the volume up so high to hear yourself that you create significant amplifier and level hiss in the process.
The factory ear pads caused significant sound leakage. I mentinoed this to LucidSound and they sent me a pair of all (synthetic) leather pads and those have worked wonders (with the expected "wet ear" tradeoff that I'm okay with).

My experiences so far with LucidSound have been positive. Their social media team has been historically great. I'm now experiencing the technical/product support side with this cracking issue being mere weeks outside of the 1-year warranty. We shall see how that goes. Since one of the first questions was "When did you purchase the product?" I'm anticipating disappointment... especially since this is a evident product flaw... but I won't prejudge the experience any further. I am cautiously optimistic.
post #6113 of 6152 Old 01-10-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidelisoris View Post
I want to warn about the LS30/35/40 headsets. There is a significant product flaw that causes the headband to crack and eventually snap in half at the peak. I do not know if the new LS41 has the same problem.

Not sure if this is allowed, but I would highly encourage you to read these customer reviews first before purchasing:
https://www.amazon.com/LucidSound-Pr...yKeyword=crack

Mine have also begun the process of failing after only 12 months of very careful use and storage.

Otherwise my LS40's have been mostly positive. I will say my gripes about the mic feedback ("sidetone") remain to this day: You cannot adjust it independently, it is based off the main volume, and you must turn the volume up so high to hear yourself that you create significant amplifier and level hiss in the process.
The factory ear pads caused significant sound leakage. I mentinoed this to LucidSound and they sent me a pair of all (synthetic) leather pads and those have worked wonders (with the expected "wet ear" tradeoff that I'm okay with).

My experiences so far with LucidSound have been positive. Their social media team has been historically great. I'm now experiencing the technical/product support side with this cracking issue being mere weeks outside of the 1-year warranty. We shall see how that goes. Since one of the first questions was "When did you purchase the product?" I'm anticipating disappointment... especially since this is a evident product flaw... but I won't prejudge the experience any further. I am cautiously optimistic.

I hit submit too fast! I wanted to add that if @amoneys2k is affiliated with LucidSound directly (kinda seems like that's the case?) you can feel free to follow my case id: 57724. You'll find the photos there of my particular case as well. I don't think I'm yet allowed to post pics to the forum as I'm more of a lurker than a poster here... but I'll give it a shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	49946652_10155639330007024_2783421274922156032_n.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	2508952   Click image for larger version

Name:	49730778_10155639329537024_7356162707457835008_n.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	2508954  
post #6114 of 6152 Old 01-10-2019, 05:32 PM

Sorry folks, one more update. LucidSound did get back to me (rather quickly!) with the following:

Quote:
Sorry to hear about the headband breaking. Even though you are slightly outside of the warranty period we will cover this for you. We don't make the LS40 anymore but we will replace it with an LS41. We currently are out of stock of the LS41 at the moment but will have more available by the end of Jan.

That's basically the dictionary definition of "good customer support". Good on those guys. I'm so used to horrendous support for PC peripherals in general that I just lean towards "you're going to have a bad time" by instinct these days...

Now I guess we'll see if the headband has been improved on the LS41! Either way I can't complain, LS certainly fulfilled their obligations by that point.
b_scott likes this.
post #6115 of 6152 Old 01-10-2019, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidelisoris View Post
Sorry folks, one more update. LucidSound did get back to me (rather quickly!) with the following:

That's basically the dictionary definition of "good customer support". Good on those guys. I'm so used to horrendous support for PC peripherals in general that I just lean towards "you're going to have a bad time" by instinct these days...

Now I guess we'll see if the headband has been improved on the LS41! Either way I can't complain, LS certainly fulfilled their obligations by that point.
Most likely they covered it out of warranty due to the number of units failing in the same manner. Since it's a large number and not an aberration, the did the right thing.

post #6116 of 6152 Old 01-14-2019, 03:03 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Hey @fidelisoris I'm glad to hear our support team got back to you quickly. We're flexible with our warranty and if you're close to the end we'll take care of you. If you're way out of warranty we'll still see what we can do on a case by case basis.

We had some people have the cracking issue that you've experienced. I wouldn't say it's "common" because as you know, people don't post reviews when everything is working to expectations, so those complaints come from the vocal minority. We have stats on how many units we sold and how many come back with certain issues. That said, we look at any issues we see and do our best to improve on them.

For the LS41, LS31, LS25 (oval earcup) and LS35X, we changed several things - bigger oval earcups, better drivers, improved base station, better and easier to replace earpads, and we changed the plastic composition of headrail. You can see a demonstration of how much more flexible and durable our new headrail is now:

https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=a...&feature=share

I hope you enjoy your new LS41 and if you need anything, please let me know. And please keep the feedback coming. It's customer feedback that helps us to deliver the products people want.

I watched the video you linked, the new headbands should totally fix the issue. Can you comment on the exact changes? Is it just a different plastic, or is there a structural skeleton inside as well?

Since my LS40 would be "recycled anyways", LS support just took the S/N (I presume to register as "RMA'd/destroyed") and let me hold onto the LS40 until the new L41 is available. I took this as an opportunity to bring the headset down to my bench and disassemble it. I noted, shockingly enough, that although the cup retainers on either side are metal, there is no central metal component to tie them together--the band is JUST plastic. No wonder it was a fail point. I expected some sort of thin metal "backbone" under the center plastic arch. So I'm curious if the central band remains just a more flexible plastic, or if some metal reinforcement was introduced as well. Either way it's a welcome change and good to see that LS continues to observe product weak points and reactively improve future products.

Speaking of weak points, my one remaining gripe about the LS40 is the lack of ability to tweak the mic "sidetone" (aka mic monitoring). Since I don't have the LS41 I cannot comment quite yet, but has any improvement been made in this area? This is the one remaining "con" to the LS headsets I see. I know the base station has been "improved" but the only change I've seen is regarding it's sizing for consoles, so I'm unsure if there's any internals change that might affect features like the mic monitor.

Finally, as I provided feedback when I got the LS40, I would LOVE to see a very high-end premium boom mic made available as an optional upgrade. I would gladly plop down another $50-75 for a microphone that rivals Sennheiser or BOSE headset mics. Seems like it could be a slam dunk with the detachable system, and wouldn't affect the headset introductory pricing against the other headsets on the market.

I won't lie; I took another look at the SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless (~$329 USD) because the base station is SO convenient and (from a geeky tech perspective) so cool. The ClearCast mic is important since my headset has to be an MMO raiding/gaming workhorse and I need to be heard well even in the "heat of battle"... The LS40 mic is adequate, but not impressive. Mic monitoring is fully configurable. The swappable batteries are a bonus because they can be replaced just that easy. I will counter this with the fact hat I never had battery issues with my LS40 and I'm sure the 20-hour LS41 is even better... but batteries do die over time.

However, even though the Arctis Pro headset is young, there are already the usual flood of reports of poor construction, especially at the earcup pivot points, with many headsets breaking and extremely poor customer support from Steel Series. That scared me away from them the first time around when I was look at their Siberia headset (and primarily why I contacted Lucid Sound in the first place before I got my LS40).... so I'm very glad the LS team could help me out. But certainly give the competition a consideration when designing the next flagship model headset... be it the LS45, 50, or whatever. I would love to see LS step up and smash the "ultra premium" $250+ PC headset market. If LucidSound told me that my dream PC gaming headset would cost $500, I'd respond with "Who do I make the check out to?"

Durability, Performance, and Features. Nail all three and take the crown!

Hope you guys have a presence at PAX East this year. I will be looking for you.

Last edited by fidelisoris; 01-14-2019 at 03:07 PM.
post #6117 of 6152 Old 01-14-2019, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I can't believe they don't make the Arctis for Xbox!!!

post #6118 of 6152 Old 01-15-2019, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
I can't believe they don't make the Arctis for Xbox!!!

Steelseries is making one for the xbox one and its going to have direct connect feature and Bluetooth, its coming in out in February, I already preordered it. I am using a turtle beach stealth 700 for now. Its not bad at all, pretty good sound and features, feels cheap in hand though, but it does a good job, app works well. my thing is I want xbox direct connect, good sound, good controls, comfortable, big ear cups, and finally Bluetooth to connect to my phone while I play and I will be happy gamer.

https://www.gamestop.com/accessories...headset/166776

Last edited by david8613; 01-15-2019 at 06:34 AM.
post #6119 of 6152 Old 01-16-2019, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david8613 View Post
Steelseries is making one for the xbox one and its going to have direct connect feature and Bluetooth, its coming in out in February, I already preordered it. I am using a turtle beach stealth 700 for now. Its not bad at all, pretty good sound and features, feels cheap in hand though, but it does a good job, app works well. my thing is I want xbox direct connect, good sound, good controls, comfortable, big ear cups, and finally Bluetooth to connect to my phone while I play and I will be happy gamer.

https://www.gamestop.com/accessories...headset/166776
SWEET! Why is it cheaper?

post #6120 of 6152 Old 01-17-2019, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 67
don't know why its cheaper, I just hope its really good. I currently use astro a50 for ps4 and turtle beach stealth 700 for xbox one x. the astro are the best sounding gaming headset I have every used, a little heavy on the bass but in a good way, just wish battery lasted longer and it had Bluetooth to connect phone, never thought I would like that feature until I used an older turtle beach model my brother lent me. I just want something different for my xbox. the turtle beaches do everything right, great features, light, comfortable, sound great, but they feel so chintzy, and cheap in hand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page