The Official Xbox One thread... - Page 626 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2012Likes

post #18751 of 22281 Old 03-12-2015, 02:36 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8959 Post(s)
Liked: 5735
Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post
HBO Now helped me save a few bucks on my bill. I was paying more than HBO Now cost for HBO so I called them yesterday and told them I would cancel unless they do something about the price. I got 3 months free and I will only pay $9.99 a month after.
Yes. HBO can easily be subscribed to at much less than what they will be charging for the stand alone streaming service.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--72TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18752 of 22281 Old 03-12-2015, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 370
So apparently because I've done a lot of those dashboard preview surveys, I was given access to the alpha of the Free-to-play MOBA game Smite. I went through two rounds, but the genre in general just does nothing for me. It does seem like they've simplified the controls to something that will work well for the console though.
Arutha_conDoin likes this.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #18753 of 22281 Old 03-12-2015, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18754 of 22281 Old 03-12-2015, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I never played the original because the premise was not particularly attractive to me, but given how much I've enjoyed playing Destiny, which has similar elements sans the humor I should probably give it a try. It'd be nice if there'd been a demo of the first game . Is the story of Borderland 2 independent of the first game? My 360 is still in use and isn't going anywhere soon, so I could play the first game but is it worth $20 to do it?

I just read this article stating that the president of Gearbox explains at a PAX panel discussion that the original Borderlands isn't part of the package due to "lack of budget and resources" and that it won't be coming to new gen machines unless Borderlands: The Handsome Collection sells well.
If you like Destiny, odds are you'll like Borderlands(just not as much). The sequel edition is a substantial improvement over the 1st though.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #18755 of 22281 Old 03-13-2015, 03:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Borderlands 1 and 2 are two of the best games I have ever played.
DaverJ and ECS01 like this.
post #18756 of 22281 Old 03-13-2015, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 1638
OMG. Someone who thinks Destiny is better than Borderlands 2... O_o
post #18757 of 22281 Old 03-13-2015, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 28
WoW.
post #18758 of 22281 Old 03-14-2015, 06:28 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8959 Post(s)
Liked: 5735
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post
OMG. Someone who thinks Destiny is better than Borderlands 2... O_o
Isn't it?
post #18759 of 22281 Old 03-14-2015, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Isn't it?
Nope. Borderlands has an extensive, well-thought-out story, and is hilarious (to me anyway).

Also, loot is much more enjoyable.

PS: I play the poop out of Destiny.
post #18760 of 22281 Old 03-14-2015, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post
Nope. Borderlands has an extensive, well-thought-out story, and is hilarious (to me anyway).

Also, loot is much more enjoyable.

PS: I play the poop out of Destiny.
Story in BLands is MILES ahead of Destiny, but the gameplay in Destiny is simply more fun. The gunplay mechanics "feel" better. Also, Destiny's scenery/environment is real world, and as such looks incredible on the One.

post #18761 of 22281 Old 03-14-2015, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 163
As an expert in bird law, I'm gonna have to say it's all subjective. I dabble in other lawyerly activities as well. Don't make me call kangaroo court on this.
post #18762 of 22281 Old 03-14-2015, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1767 Post(s)
Liked: 4031
Both Borderlands and Destiny have great shooting mechanics. As rightintel mentioned, the graphics in Destiny are beautiful, and feel next gen. Graphics in BL are last-gen - cell-shaded, yet with an attitude of their own. And the game still looks damn good at 60fps (based on the PC version).

Where BL shines is the l00t - the constant barrage of bazillion guns, grenade types, and shields. And the skill unlocks are the carrot-on-a-stick.

Destiny sort of lost me once I hit level 20, whereas there's so much to see and do in BL2, and the missions and story kept me rolling to the end. The DLC missions like Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage, Captain Scarlet and her Pirate's Booty, and Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep (the later being my fav character in the game) refreshed the madness all over again.

Destiny's integration of MMO is very impressive, and I hope Borderlands 3 takes a cue from this.
post #18763 of 22281 Old 03-14-2015, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
Story in BLands is MILES ahead of Destiny, but the gameplay in Destiny is simply more fun. The gunplay mechanics "feel" better. Also, Destiny's scenery/environment is real world, and as such looks incredible on the One.
I have to give the edge to Borderlands. Destiny has better mechanics and is a smoother overall game, but Blands tips the scale with the better story and variety of weapons/loot. I like Destiny but I love Borderlands.

I played Titanfall last night for the first time in probably 6 months. Since they made season pass free I figured what the heck. Still a great, fast and easy multiplayer experience. I do like the changes they have made to improve the game since launch. I bet T2 will be very impressive. Titanfall is great if you want to burn an hour playing a few matches.
DaverJ likes this.

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
post #18764 of 22281 Old 03-14-2015, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
I have to give the edge to Borderlands. Destiny has better mechanics and is a smoother overall game, but Blands tips the scale with the better story and variety of weapons/loot. I like Destiny but I love Borderlands.

I played Titanfall last night for the first time in probably 6 months. Since they made season pass free I figured what the heck. Still a great, fast and easy multiplayer experience. I do like the changes they have made to improve the game since launch. I bet T2 will be very impressive. Titanfall is great if you want to burn an hour playing a few matches.
True, the payoff for loot in Blands does seem more satisfying. I think it might be the frequency. After all, there's no Cryptarch.

post #18765 of 22281 Old 03-15-2015, 03:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Warning: long post ahead. Hehe.

Got my XBOX One today after having my PS4 since launch. After spending a few hours with it, I'm digging the UI more than what the PS4 offers. Everything is laid out in a logical way, making navigation easy. At first I didn't understand the idea behind the Snap feature, but now that I do, I realize the power behind the use of it and see myself using it quite a bit while gaming if I need to look something up and check out an achievement I just got. It can be a bit daunting at first glance with all the pins and crap you don't want, but it's leaps ahead of how Sony has things laid out. I have yet to encounter an error, freezing, etc. I have to deal with that more than I care to admit with the PS4.

A few things kind of make me scratch my head, though. My main gripe relates to game installs from discs and updates. I wish it would tell me when the game was done installing from the disc and the update has been downloaded/applied. I'm finnicky about turning things off when something is still installing from a disc (call me paranoid). Luckily it seems to install even with the system is in Standby, but Sunset Overdrive refused to install at all unless I left the system on. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, but as a guy, I didn't read the manual (actually, that's a rarity. I read the manual for EVERYTHING I get).

Also, unless I'm missing it, there is no way to eject discs other than pressing the physical button on the console itself. I much enjoy the easiness of bringing up a menu and ejecting the disc that way. I'm OCD about fingerprints, so when I couldn't figure out how to do it, my brain hemorrhaged for a second. It's not a huge deal breaker, but since I'm checking out all the games I bought, my body can sense the fingerprint smudges building up. Haha.

It also took me some time to figure out how to use the Game DVR and screenshot function (I got the bundle WITHOUT Kinect 2.0). It's easy enough once I figured it out, but I'd rather have a button on the controller like the DS4. Maybe a future update will allow that, as I haven't run into a game yet that uses what looks like the "gallery" button (forgive me, I don't know the technical name for it).

For games, I have AC Unity, Minecraft, Ryse, Halo MCC and Sunset Overdrive, along with Rayman Legends and IDARB. I'm actually surprised with how good everything looks. I remember playing AC Unity a bit on the PS4 and thought it looked like a jaggy-fest, on the One, not so much. Maybe it's placebo, but the game looks cleaner. Still performs as poorly as I remember, but I can't argue with free. Ryse is the only game I haven't tried yet, but I'm going to check it out in a bit before bed.

Honestly, I was looking for a reason to regret my purchase, and I just can't find a reason NOT to like the XBOX One. So far, it hasn't impregnated any of my pets (probably because I don't have any), I actually don't mind the 1980's VCR look and it's nice reconnecting with friends that I haven't talked to in over a year.. Part of it is likely due to me simply having more options now than I did before. I'll likely still buy the multiplatforms that I want on the PS4 barring some huge graphical mishaps ( I still don't understand why a lot of games use trilinear filtering on the PS4 vs. anisotropic filtering). I'm glad I waited as long as I did so Microsoft can work out the major bugs, and I like their proactive approach to adding features.

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to post my impressions coming from the Dark Side. Feel free to send me a friend request. Gamertag is BiffCo.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
post #18766 of 22281 Old 03-15-2015, 04:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

It also took me some time to figure out how to use the Game DVR and screenshot function (I got the bundle WITHOUT Kinect 2.0). It's easy enough once I figured it out, but I'd rather have a button on the controller like the DS4. Maybe a future update will allow that, as I haven't run into a game yet that uses what looks like the "gallery" button (forgive me, I don't know the technical name for it).
I think you can just double-tap the Xbox button on the controller and hit x or y for "record that" or screenshots.

Last edited by Nickff; 03-15-2015 at 04:09 AM.
post #18767 of 22281 Old 03-15-2015, 04:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 204
The Official Xbox One thread...

Quote:
Warning: long post ahead. Hehe.

Got my XBOX One today after having my PS4 since launch. After spending a few hours with it, I'm digging the UI more than what the PS4 offers. Everything is laid out in a logical way, making navigation easy. At first I didn't understand the idea behind the Snap feature, but now that I do, I realize the power behind the use of it and see myself using it quite a bit while gaming if I need to look something up and check out an achievement I just got. It can be a bit daunting at first glance with all the pins and crap you don't want, but it's leaps ahead of how Sony has things laid out. I have yet to encounter an error, freezing, etc. I have to deal with that more than I care to admit with the PS4.

A few things kind of make me scratch my head, though. My main gripe relates to game installs from discs and updates. I wish it would tell me when the game was done installing from the disc and the update has been downloaded/applied. I'm finnicky about turning things off when something is still installing from a disc (call me paranoid). Luckily it seems to install even with the system is in Standby, but Sunset Overdrive refused to install at all unless I left the system on. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, but as a guy, I didn't read the manual (actually, that's a rarity. I read the manual for EVERYTHING I get).

Also, unless I'm missing it, there is no way to eject discs other than pressing the physical button on the console itself. I much enjoy the easiness of bringing up a menu and ejecting the disc that way. I'm OCD about fingerprints, so when I couldn't figure out how to do it, my brain hemorrhaged for a second. It's not a huge deal breaker, but since I'm checking out all the games I bought, my body can sense the fingerprint smudges building up. Haha.

For games, I have AC Unity, Minecraft, Ryse, Halo MCC and Sunset Overdrive, along with Rayman Legends and IDARB. I'm actually surprised with how good everything looks. I remember playing AC Unity a bit on the PS4 and thought it looked like a jaggy-fest, on the One, not so much. Maybe it's placebo, but the game looks cleaner. Still performs as poorly as I remember, but I can't argue with free. Ryse is the only game I haven't tried yet, but I'm going to check it out in a bit before bed.

Honestly, I was looking for a reason to regret my purchase, and I just can't find a reason NOT to like the XBOX One. So far, it hasn't impregnated any of my pets (probably because I don't have any), I actually don't mind the 1980's VCR look and it's nice reconnecting with friends that I haven't talked to in over a year.. Part of it is likely due to me simply having more options now than I did before. I'll likely still buy the multiplatforms that I want on the PS4 barring some huge graphical mishaps ( I still don't understand why a lot of games use trilinear filtering on the PS4 vs. anisotropic filtering). I'm glad I waited as long as I did so Microsoft can work out the major bugs, and I like their proactive approach to adding features.

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to post my impressions coming from the Dark Side. Feel free to send me a friend request. Gamertag is BiffCo.

Glad to see you're liking the Xbox. It's even better with kinect IMO. Everything is a lot easier and I love just saying "xbox record that" whenever I do something funny against a friend. You can also say " Xbox take a screenshot" and it works great. The UI makes more sense with the kinect. I always said it since day one that the UI is way better on the Xbox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSN: Artman22
Xbox live: Artman22
post #18768 of 22281 Old 03-15-2015, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post
I think you can just double-tap the Xbox button on the controller and hit x or y for "record that" or screenshots.
I'm aware of that. That's what I "figured out." I'm just saying it would be more beneficial to me to have a button.

Art, I agree the UI is much better. Could it better with Kinect? Sure, but it's not a major inconvenience for me. I could see myself getting a Kinect in the future, but basically it's a very expensive microphone/camera combo at this point. Since I work overnight and don't go to bed until 9am or 10am, the last thing I want to do on my days off is piss off my roommates by yelling at my game console. Haha.
post #18769 of 22281 Old 03-15-2015, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

IMO the best thing MS did for the XB1 was to untether the Kinect.

It's an interesting concept and I appreciate the tech. If I lived alone, I would probably hook it up. However, an always-on camera/mic in the living room is a absolute no-go with the wife. Plus, I'm not comfortable talking to an inanimate object with other people around, especially one who isn't really a fan of games or gadgets. And when it doesn't work right, it's much more frustration than it's worth.

The XB1 is a quieter system in my setup - the PS4's fan can get pretty loud at times. Including IR is probably what puts it ahead of the PS4 in my book. The ability to control it with a Harmony remote is significant (Big Brad - you can eject discs this way). I like both system's UIs, and the resolution differences, when they exist, aren't noticeable to my eyes. I've played many games on both system, and both look great. In fact, like Brad said, for some reason I think certain things look better on Xbox One than PS4, but this might be perception.

Both very good consoles, and continuing to improve. I could be given reasons to switch back to PS4, but for now am very happy with Xbox One.
post #18770 of 22281 Old 03-15-2015, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 1638
The system will power off automatically when it's done if you have that setting activated.

Also the OS still has memory leaks so make sure you don't just jump from game to game. Tap the menu button on the game at the home screen and select quit which will terminate the game. Also you will still need to reboot the system every once in awhile so go to settings to choose the reboot option when you notice performance problems (lower than normal frame rates, weirdness, etc.).

And if you don't know how to cold boot the Xbox, hold down the glowing power button on the console until the system powers off. Then tap it again to cold boot.
DaverJ likes this.
post #18771 of 22281 Old 03-15-2015, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Was looking forward to your impressions Brad. I know you're not a big fan of multiplayer but let's tryout Halo or AC MP when you're up for it.

I'll also send you a Preview program invite so you can get early access to the beta version of upcoming updates. Look for it when you log on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #18772 of 22281 Old 03-15-2015, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 610
I thought you could eject a disc with the controller by hitting the option button while over the correct item box thingie

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
post #18773 of 22281 Old 03-15-2015, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Congrats Brad!! In terms of hardware, I think that Xbox and PlayStation have swapped positions this gen. The XB1 feels more like a premium product and the PS4 seems a bit noisy and crude in comparison. Under load, the fan is near silent and the BD drive mechanism is smooth and quiet as well. Though the PS4's voice command capability has improved, it still can't match Kinect (can't even turn on while resting).

I bought my XB1 earlier than I had planned, when I had learned that the white one was a limited production model. However, unlike you -- I wanted Kinect 2.0 badly. So I actually didn't open it, just in case MS released a white XB1 w/Kinect (I figured I could sell a sealed limited edition model easily, without losing money). Well, eventually I got tired of not using the XB1 games I was buying on sale and caved, getting a pretty good deal on a black model with Kinect (I'm keeping my white one to match my white PS4 as secondary systems). Like you, I'm very happy with my purchases and don't regret it at all. As DaverJ mentioned in another thread, it's a hobby and relatively inexpensive compared to other things in life.

Ryse is a good, underrated game and is well worth the current sale price (beware the install though, you may have to do a hard reset if you get stuck on the install screen with the red progress bar). I can see how some people may find it repetitive, but I'm playing in short sessions, so I'm not finding that to be the case. The graphics are amazing, maybe better than Infamous SS and KZ ShadowFall, but not quite as good as The Order IMO. If you're a Halo fan, don't let the early reviews scare you off -- it's all been patched. I never finished Halo 4 on my 360, but for some reason I'm liking it a lot more on my XB1. Also, if you're into driving games, Forza Horizon 2 is a must. Enjoy!!
DaverJ and highd3f like this.

Last edited by Mikazaru; 03-15-2015 at 09:01 PM.
post #18774 of 22281 Old 03-15-2015, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post
I never finished Halo 4 on my 360, but for some reason I'm liking it a lot more on my XB1.
Another vote for Halo 4. It's more polished than I remember on 360 - almost next-gen.

I'm not into the multiplayer, so it's hard for me to go back to the older Halos after playing #4 in the Master Chief Collection.
post #18775 of 22281 Old 03-15-2015, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the input guys. I'll definitely program my Harmony remote today. That'll help a lot. Wasn't aware of the memory leaks, but I quit every game before I eject the disc anyway. Also wasn't aware there was a reboot option. Good to know.

All games are installed and play without a hitch so far. I did get some weird display issues when coming out of standby with Sunset Overdrive in suspend. I think that has more to do with my HDMI switch though as I noticed the same on my other connected devices.

Lodolfan, I'll look for the beta invite when I sign on next. Thanks!
post #18776 of 22281 Old 03-15-2015, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post
Ryse is a good underrated game and is well worth the current sale price (beware the install though, you may have to do a hard reset if you get stuck on the install screen with the red progress bar). I can see how some people may find it repetitive, but I'm playing in short sessions, so I'm not finding that to be the case. The graphics are amazing, maybe better than Infamous SS and KZ ShadowFall, but not quite as good as The Order IMO. If you're a Halo fan, don't let the early reviews scare you off -- it's all been patched. I never finished Halo 4 on my 360, but for some reason I'm liking it a lot more on my XB1. Also, if you're into driving games, Forza Horizon 2 is a must. Enjoy!!
I had Best Buy price match Amazon for both Ryse ($21.09) and Halo MCC ($39.99). I know Halo is on sale this week at BB, but I'd end up saving only $3 with GCU (which doesn't apply to price matched items) and would've had to have made another trip today. I opted to pick it up at Amazon's price.

I'm very impressed with Ryse. It's hard to say which I think looks better between Ryse and The Order 1886. They are both very good looking. But gameplay definitely goes to Ryse. The first time I amputated an arm... Well, lets just say I enjoy over-the-top gore in games like this. Haha. I've checked out all the Halo games. The problem I have is the I don't actually play the first two games, instead I just sit there and toggle between old and new graphics. It's amazes me how horrible the old graphics look in comparison, but I remember being impressed back in the day. My how times have changed.

Unfortunately, I don't like racing/driving games at all, unless we are talking about the Burnout series (before Burnout Paradise). I've played Forza in the past, but just never really enjoyed it outside of racing with friends.

post #18777 of 22281 Old 03-15-2015, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Maybe its because I am old and had quite a few VCR's haha. But I much prefer the Xbone design to my PS4. The Ps4 is just loud, probably due to its small enclosure. The buttons on the ps4 also infuriate me as they are fussy. I predict at some point the ps4 will have heat issues just like my original phat ps3 did.....which was also loud and eventually did die. The xbox was clearly designed this time for maximum ventilation and as such is dead silent. Even after hours of gaming it remains the quietest system I think I have ever had in the past decade. If they had just went the extra mile and put just a touch more power inside, capable of true 1080p, and kept the controller the same they would have ended Sony.
post #18778 of 22281 Old 03-15-2015, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I actually like the One controller better than the 360 controller. Feels better when playing for some reason and the difference in vibration is a welcome change (for me). Then again, I prefer the DS4 over the 360 controller as well. Not sure which one I like better at this point. The One controller DEFINITELY has better battery life. Haha.
aaronwt likes this.

post #18779 of 22281 Old 03-15-2015, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 694
@Big Brad Congrats on the X1 purchase and the games you got. I'm just going to push it right now... Pick up Ori and the Blind Forest if you want a great platformer that is gorgeous with outstanding gameplay that can be unforgiving at times with some of the elements in it. Having both systems (or all 4 if you have the Wii U and PC too) is nice since you have and endless supply of games, but then you have to decide between time and money and oh yea wife and kids if you have those s well.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #18780 of 22281 Old 03-16-2015, 03:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
I actually like the One controller better than the 360 controller. Feels better when playing for some reason and the difference in vibration is a welcome change (for me). Then again, I prefer the DS4 over the 360 controller as well. Not sure which one I like better at this point. The One controller DEFINITELY has better battery life. Haha.

I'm in the same boat. I like the Xbox one controller the most between the ps4 and 360, but I wish they would've used better technology like Bluetooth. I get disconnections sometimes with my controller and I have to do a hard reset to fix the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSN: Artman22
Xbox live: Artman22
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page