The Official Xbox One thread... - Page 674 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2017Likes

post #20191 of 22312 Old 09-19-2015, 03:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 147
If you have your games on an external drive you even don't need to download anything on your friend's console
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20192 of 22312 Old 09-19-2015, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post
If you have your games on an external drive you even don't need to download anything on your friend's console
Yes, I move my external between my Xbox's. works great for most games.
smokozuna likes this.
post #20193 of 22312 Old 09-19-2015, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post
True, but not all my games are on my External drive. I kept some on my Internal drive. After I got the external drive anything I get goes on there first.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20194 of 22312 Old 09-19-2015, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

part of the reason the home console method works better than the license transfer method of the 360 is... on the 360, I had multiple consoles. So if I buy some games on one console and some games on another console, I have the console licenses split across 2 consoles. Random situations would pop up every once in awhile where this was a problem (mostly when friends came over or lending a console to a brother, etc. etc. Can't remember the details because it's been so long). You had to do the license transfer to get them all on one console.

So you'd think that buying games via a web browser would solve that. But buying via the browser, it would download to the 360 console that you last played on. So you still end up with console licenses split across consoles if you go back and forth between consoles.

And if you were a long-time 360 user, you probably remember there were restrictions on how often you could transfer the licenses and how long it took for the process to happen. Or you had to keep track of which console had what purchased games.

But now when you make purchases on the One, it doesn't matter what console you buy it on. It's still your user account and the home console.

My internal HDD on the One has a bunch of little games and Warframe. pretty much everything else is on the external. I tried Warframe on the external but it glitched one time when I moved the external between One consoles so I just installed it to the internal on both systems. To be fair, it was a perfect storm (at the time, Warframe was being updated constantly and I was constantly going between consoles and i had accidentally installed on both the internal and external as well).
post #20195 of 22312 Old 09-19-2015, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1209 Post(s)
Liked: 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
Sorry...total newbie to this forum. I'm trying to help my brother, find the best way to stream Slingbox through his One?

Thanks
So...my brother just called me; because he did a little research on his own, and is still coming up empty-handed. I said "hold on...lemme see what the guys in my forum had to say; there should definitely be some responses, because those guys are really good at taking pity on a newbie...with perhaps an elementary question".

So...seriously; nothing? I don't have a One, but I guess the thought is this; he says he can't seem to get to work, by just going through the browser...and I'm wondering if there isn't an app or "hack" for it.

If I'm asking something "illegal", just say so; I just can't imagine, that there isn't a way for him to view a Slingbox feed on his One. I mean...that's what Slingbox is for!

1 - All The Music In The World > PS Audio Stellar Gain DAC > Dynaudio X14As
2 - All The Music In The World > > Dynaudio EMIT M10s

FS: ARCAM A29 IA
post #20196 of 22312 Old 09-19-2015, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
So...my brother just called me; because he did a little research on his own, and is still coming up empty-handed. I said "hold on...lemme see what the guys in my forum had to say; there should definitely be some responses, because those guys are really good at taking pity on a newbie...with perhaps an elementary question".

So...seriously; nothing? I don't have a One, but I guess the thought is this; he says he can't seem to get to work, by just going through the browser...and I'm wondering if there isn't an app or "hack" for it.

If I'm asking something "illegal", just say so; I just can't imagine, that there isn't a way for him to view a Slingbox feed on his One. I mean...that's what Slingbox is for!
There is a Sling app for the Xbox, that he could use. I've never used it, so I can't vouch for the quality of the app, but there is one in the app section.
post #20197 of 22312 Old 09-19-2015, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@CDLehner I never used slingbox either so I can't comment on it. Is there a dedicated thread for it in the Xbox forum and not in this thread? This thread would be a good place to start, but then look for a dedicated thread as well.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #20198 of 22312 Old 09-19-2015, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Slingbox and Sling TV are completely different and unrelated. Yeah, they tried the branding for brand recognition but they're completely different.

Slingbox can be accessed by any browser. You can use the Internet Explorer browser on the Xbox. And soon it'll be Edge.
post #20199 of 22312 Old 09-20-2015, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 862
I've been opted into the preview but no message yet. I'm excited to try it out.
Arutha_conDoin likes this.
post #20200 of 22312 Old 09-23-2015, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked: 369
I ended up buying a used Xbox One on Craigslist a couple of days ago. I think I got a pretty good deal all things considered...

So, I ended up with an Xbox One that included all the normal stuff that you would get with the standard XB1 package (system, power supply, hdmi cable, still brand new unused headset, one barely used controller).

It also came with a Midnight Blue Camo controller, COD:AW and Lego Batman 3.

I paid $310 total.

The key part of the deal was that the guy bought the thing from Costco and had his receipt. He bought it in March of this year, so it still has a good portion of the original warranty still kicking. (plus I'm a Costco member myself so I feel like I'll be covered for this for a little while). The other really cool thing about this particular Xbox One, is that the guy that owned it barely used it. Sure, almost every seller will tell you that it was barely used, but this one is actually legit, because I can tell the system was never connected to online, and only 2 games were ever played on the thing. (COD and Lego Batman 3). Basically, this guy bought the thing in March, played it a handful of times, and that was it. So, the thing is in barely used condition which is a huge plus.

I can tell everything was barely used because both controllers thumbsticks have that brand new feel to them. You know when you get a brand new controller and you can just tell that the thumbsticks haven't seen much of any use ? Both controllers are like that, so I'm pretty sure the thing was hardly used.

I will probably sell off one of the extra controllers for like $35, and also sell that COD and Lego Batman, and my cost for this thing will be like $250 out the door which is pretty damn good.
aaronwt, DaverJ and lulimet like this.
post #20201 of 22312 Old 09-23-2015, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hey everybody...I've been lurking around for awhile and have done some searching, but I wanted to ask about internet speed. I currently have Comcast Blast at 105 mbps due to the promotion when I moved, but that ends next week. In trying to have a more reasonable cable bill, we're looking at a package that has Comcast's pro 75 mbps speed. I'm not sure of the upload speed on either, and I'm assuming that I've not really come close to getting what I'm currently paying for, but in a typical residential situation, are most people really going to notice a difference?

We typically don't have any problems streaming Netflix or HBOGO while running a couple extra wireless devices. Gaming has been fine as well for the most part. I'm thinking about picking up an XB1 sometime in January (just finishing up grad school first!), so I want to make sure I'm not downgrading to a speed that can't handle the XB1 and eventually a PS4 (I know, I know...wrong forum...) when it comes to streaming videos and accessing online game content.
post #20202 of 22312 Old 09-23-2015, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
H
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdavid570 View Post
Hey everybody...I've been lurking around for awhile and have done some searching, but I wanted to ask about internet speed. I currently have Comcast Blast at 105 mbps due to the promotion when I moved, but that ends next week. In trying to have a more reasonable cable bill, we're looking at a package that has Comcast's pro 75 mbps speed. I'm not sure of the upload speed on either, and I'm assuming that I've not really come close to getting what I'm currently paying for, but in a typical residential situation, are most people really going to notice a difference?

We typically don't have any problems streaming Netflix or HBOGO while running a couple extra wireless devices. Gaming has been fine as well for the most part. I'm thinking about picking up an XB1 sometime in January (just finishing up grad school first!), so I want to make sure I'm not downgrading to a speed that can't handle the XB1 and eventually a PS4 (I know, I know...wrong forum...) when it comes to streaming videos and accessing online game content.
As a Comcast tech 75 is fine and 50 was fine before customers were upgraded to 75. Upload is 20mb for 105 and 10mb for 75 which is plenty. The difference is what is all happening in your home. I have 105. My wife works for Apple at home and is streaming all days kids are streaming or gaming and never have problems on any of the 3 Xbox One systems or computers

The 5.0 is here

Last edited by mboojigga; 09-23-2015 at 12:03 PM.
post #20203 of 22312 Old 09-23-2015, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post
As a Comcast tech 75 is fine and 50 was fine before customers were upgraded to 75. Upload is 20mb for 105 and 10mb for 75 which is plenty. The difference is what is all happening in your home. I have 105. My wife works for Apple at home and is streaming all days kids are streaming or gaming and never have problems on any of the 3 Xbox One systems or computers
Thanks for the response. I figured it would be fine as I previously had a 7 mbps connection with another provider that was fine. The only issue I've had recently is Sonic Highways on HBO GO is almost unplayable on my 360, but fine on my laptop or phone.
post #20204 of 22312 Old 09-23-2015, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Has anyone gotten into the new preview yet? If so, what are your experiences/thoughts so far?
post #20205 of 22312 Old 09-24-2015, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdavid570 View Post

I have the X1 platform & 75/10. As far as the tv package & overall speed (I get a constant 80/12) on the net, I'm happy. The only negative I have is latency seems higher on Xfinity, compared to other services I've used. Atleast in my area.
post #20206 of 22312 Old 09-24-2015, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I don't know if you're still in the market for an expansion drive, but the 4TB Seagate Backup Plus Fast is on sale at Amazon right now for $175 as I write this. (For those who don't know, it's 2 2TB drives arranged as a RAID 0 set in a bus-powered USB 3.0 enclosure a little bigger than a pack of cigarettes. Very small, very fast, bus-powered--IMO the perfect Xbone external expansion drive ).

EDIT: Sorry--sale price is gone , back up to $200. Oh well.
Hi Michaeltscott, Amazon lightning deal has the Seagate Backup Plus Slim 4TB Portable External Hard Drive with 200GB of Cloud Storage USB 3.0 (Black) STDR4000100 on sale for $145. How is this compare to the RAID 0?
post #20207 of 22312 Old 09-24-2015, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It was originally designed to be used with Kinect. So with Kinect, navigation is quick. But without a controller with the current UI, I would think it would be a pain to navigate.
Navigation/Organization is certainly one aspect of speed, but also the "everything" is an app seems to be an equal bottleneck. Does the new UI have everything as "apps" that have to load?

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL/Steam : ScubaSteve2365 - PC = i7-8700k, RTX 2080Ti, DDR4-3200 Ram
My VR Podcast on Youtube - VR Roundtable - Pimax, Playstation VR, Rift-S, and Quest
Theater = Epson 5040UB, Denon x4400, Klipsh RF 7.2.4, 4-FiCar 18" IB, HTMarket Pembrokes, Aura BassShaker
post #20208 of 22312 Old 09-24-2015, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Hi Michaeltscott, Amazon lightning deal has the Seagate Backup Plus Slim 4TB Portable External Hard Drive with 200GB of Cloud Storage USB 3.0 (Black) STDR4000100 on sale for $145. How is this compare to the RAID 0?

Slow. See the graph on this page of the CNET reviews of Backup Plus Slim. The Slim is 118.8/125.35 (write/read MBps) versus the Fast, which scored 222.5/232.74. The review mentions the difference:

Quote:
Compared with the Backup Plus Fast, the new Backup Plus/Slim is just about half as fast, which is to be expected since the Slim is just a single-volume drive while the Fast is a RAID-0 drive. Compared with other similarly configured portable drives, however, the new Backup Plus/Slim is very impressive.

I personally think that it makes a palpable difference in asset loading of the games that I play. The "flying-to-another-planet" loading screen in Destiny is up for much less time than when it was installed on the internal drive.
aaronwt, DaverJ, JChin and 1 others like this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #20209 of 22312 Old 09-24-2015, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Full game NBA live 16 now available for EA Access members

The 5.0 is here
post #20210 of 22312 Old 09-25-2015, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Full game NBA live 16 now available for EA Access members
I'm more curious to see how they are going to handle Star Wars Battlefront? Sony is advertising the crap out of it, but With EA Access users are suppose to get games early which would be a kick in the nuts for Sony.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #20211 of 22312 Old 09-25-2015, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
I'm more curious to see how they are going to handle Star Wars Battlefront? Sony is advertising the crap out of it, but With EA Access users are suppose to get games early which would be a kick in the nuts for Sony.
LOL it has already been answered since the inception of EA Access. They reiterated that we will get exactly what the program states, 5 days access before launch and most likely 10 hour access. IMO I don't think it is going to sway a lot of people to get an XB1 over their existing PS4 just for 5 days for this game. Sony F'd up as far as that goes with declining having EA Access. Should be getting Battlefield Hardline in the vault next month or November I am predicting.

The 5.0 is here
post #20212 of 22312 Old 09-25-2015, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
LOL it has already been answered since the inception of EA Access. They reiterated that we will get exactly what the program states, 5 days access before launch and most likely 10 hour access. IMO I don't think it is going to sway a lot of people to get an XB1 over their existing PS4 just for 5 days for this game. Sony F'd up as far as that goes with declining having EA Access. Should be getting Battlefield Hardline in the vault next month or November I am predicting.
Nice. I'll be double dipping on this game( PC and X1). I have already sworn my allegiance to the Empire! Yes that is my Sith Empire Tatto!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
mboojigga likes this.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #20213 of 22312 Old 09-25-2015, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 3
A lot of people are saying they like NBA 2K16, very good game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #20214 of 22312 Old 09-26-2015, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Hardline has been confirmed for October, I think a day or two ago it was reported.
mboojigga likes this.
post #20215 of 22312 Old 09-26-2015, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cool didn't see it

The 5.0 is here
post #20216 of 22312 Old 09-26-2015, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Hi All,

Longtime lurker, rarely post. Question for those of you running cable through your Xbox One into the TV. Am I better off setting my cable box color output YCC or RGB? I'm not sure what type of conversion is happening at the Xbox level and was hoping somebody might know.

Thanks!
post #20217 of 22312 Old 09-29-2015, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 370
So I have now been updated to the preview. First of all to get positives out of the way, I love that there is a clear all button on notifications, and the new mini guide is far better. From there though, the first thing that I did was go through settings... and I hate the way they've split settings that used to fit in 7 or 8 pages into something like 20 pages. You scroll down to the kinect/devices section, and then there's another button to bring you to a new screen to change your settings. It's a pain. And the "My games & apps" page has not changed a bit (yet?). It's a huge pain to scroll through so if this doesn't change I'll be very disappointed. The dashboard is now flush with content ads. I don't mean that it's added extra ads to each screen... but that the entire "Games", "Apps", "Movies & TV", and "Music" panes are ads for content. So that leaves "Home", "Community", and "OneGuide" for what should be actual useful things on a daily basis.

Community I don't even care about myself, but I understand the appeal for others. And you'd think a revamped OneGuide page would include the apps I actually have installed, like Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, etc. Instead, I see Youtube, Microsoft Movies & TV, Crackle, Starz Play, and Live TV. Well, I don't have Live TV on this console. I don't have access to Starz Play, and Crackle isn't even installed on my console. So that's another page that is wasted. And when I load up app channels, it shows me apps like TelemundoNow which is pretty dumb considering I don't speak spanish.

And then the homescreen, I've made complaints about it before... but the main thing is that pins (and the "My games & apps" launcher) is all the way at the bottom of a scrolling list, with no sign whatsoever that it's there. You have to know that you need to scroll to the bottom or press RT, which is not something that is at all intuitive for a non-gamer.

Oh, and FYI, no Cortana yet.

Edit: After I rebooted my console, the live TV section in the OneGuide pivot went away at least. Still not showing apps that are actually relevant to me though. And if you prefer a static colored background by the way, which I did in the previous dashboard... you're going to want to change that, because it looks terrible in combination with the new version. I mean, it's basically designed around a background picture now, so if you don't have one it doesn't work.
spid and kevin g. like this.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80

Last edited by jhoff80; 09-29-2015 at 04:28 PM.
post #20218 of 22312 Old 09-30-2015, 05:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 1050
New updates for the New Xbox Experience and Windows 10 including 12 person chat.

• Party text chat adds more communication options. In the New Xbox One Experience, text chat joins voice chat as a way to communicate with your friends. At the bottom of the ‘Your Party’ page, you will see a button to ‘Show text chat.’ This will let you participate in the conversation. Party text chat will also come to the Beta Xbox App for Windows 10.
  • A streamlined Game DVR experience. We have combined the functionality of the Game DVR snap app and the former Upload app into one easy-to-use app called Game DVR. In full screen mode, you can use this app to view your game clips and screenshot captures. When snapped, you can use Game DVR to start or stop recordings.
  • New animated avatars. They are back and better than ever. You showed us that you are passionate about Avatars with many requests on Xbox Feedback. The new avatars will be animated on your profile and will start showing up in other new places in the new experience. If you prefer a gamerpic, you can easily switch your image.
  • Updated menu for quick access to common actions. The menu button on your controller lets you pin an app or game to Home, launch a recently played game, or quit an app or game with just the touch of a button.
  • Access new settings in the Guide. Adding to settings already included in the guide, like adjusting the headset volume, you can now turn your console off or restart your console directly from the Guide.

http://majornelson.com/2015/09/29/12...e-and-an-nxoe/
post #20219 of 22312 Old 09-30-2015, 06:07 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
So I have now been updated to the preview. First of all to get positives out of the way, I love that there is a clear all button on notifications, and the new mini guide is far better. From there though, the first thing that I did was go through settings... and I hate the way they've split settings that used to fit in 7 or 8 pages into something like 20 pages. You scroll down to the kinect/devices section, and then there's another button to bring you to a new screen to change your settings. It's a pain. And the "My games & apps" page has not changed a bit (yet?). It's a huge pain to scroll through so if this doesn't change I'll be very disappointed. The dashboard is now flush with content ads. I don't mean that it's added extra ads to each screen... but that the entire "Games", "Apps", "Movies & TV", and "Music" panes are ads for content. So that leaves "Home", "Community", and "OneGuide" for what should be actual useful things on a daily basis.

Community I don't even care about myself, but I understand the appeal for others. And you'd think a revamped OneGuide page would include the apps I actually have installed, like Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, etc. Instead, I see Youtube, Microsoft Movies & TV, Crackle, Starz Play, and Live TV. Well, I don't have Live TV on this console. I don't have access to Starz Play, and Crackle isn't even installed on my console. So that's another page that is wasted. And when I load up app channels, it shows me apps like TelemundoNow which is pretty dumb considering I don't speak spanish.

And then the homescreen, I've made complaints about it before... but the main thing is that pins (and the "My games & apps" launcher) is all the way at the bottom of a scrolling list, with no sign whatsoever that it's there. You have to know that you need to scroll to the bottom or press RT, which is not something that is at all intuitive for a non-gamer.

Oh, and FYI, no Cortana yet.

Edit: After I rebooted my console, the live TV section in the OneGuide pivot went away at least. Still not showing apps that are actually relevant to me though. And if you prefer a static colored background by the way, which I did in the previous dashboard... you're going to want to change that, because it looks terrible in combination with the new version. I mean, it's basically designed around a background picture now, so if you don't have one it doesn't work.

Is it at least a lot more responsive like they claimed?

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #20220 of 22312 Old 09-30-2015, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Definitely faster. I mean, it's still quite a bit buggy, so there are occasions when it's been unresponsive for a few seconds, but the majority of the time it really is drastically faster. (Example of the bugginess affecting it, there was a bug fixed in another update last night that "My games and apps" would take a while to populate).

They did fix one of my complaints too last night. Instead of the four "Games", "Apps", "Movies & TV", and "Music" pivots that sounded like they were useful but instead were Store pages, they have combined that into a single Store pivot... until you move the cursor there, whereas then it will expand.

I do think if people's focus is as a hardcore gamer that the prettier home screen, community tab, and the revamped mini-guide will be improvements.

And the OneGuide tab (slightly different from OneGuide's TV guide type interface), I'm not entirely sure they have a choice for that. It looks like only apps that were written to the "App Channel" capability can populate that tab, meaning it's not their fault that Amazon and Netflix don't. Mostly, I just don't think spreading out your most recently played games/apps over a scrolling page (instead of putting them immediately in the interface) and moving pins to the bottom with not much visible feedback is the best solution. And as Microsoft theoretically expands the store to get more of a selection of apps, I just foresee this becoming more and more of a nightmare the way that it currently exists.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80

Last edited by jhoff80; 09-30-2015 at 07:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page