The Official Xbox One thread... - Page 713 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2014Likes

post #21361 of 22283 Old 06-22-2016, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Will have to check to see if my XBone downloaded update last night. I"m in preview program but hadn't been updated to the latest preview update yet.

Steam ID: Budracin88
Origin ID: Budracin88
Blizzard: Budracin88#1797
YouTube Channel
Twitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21362 of 22283 Old 06-22-2016, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I was in the preview program to but it seems like they have excluded me this time.

Xbox Live: IamVertigo
PSN: IamVertigo
post #21363 of 22283 Old 06-22-2016, 09:09 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9309 Post(s)
Liked: 5996
I'm installing the update now.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21364 of 22283 Old 06-22-2016, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Cortana responds quicker now, but is still fairly wonky.
post #21365 of 22283 Old 06-22-2016, 09:32 PM
UHD Addict

WoW!!! This is so much better for viewing the games and Apps! I can't believe it took them over 2.5 years to finally have a more useful way of viewing the games and apps.

post #21366 of 22283 Old 06-23-2016, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Fallout New Vegas is Backward Comp!! Woot!

OK - so now my question for the experts here.. Does anyone know if we need to re-buy all the extra content if we already have the "ultimate edition" that included it all for XB360? I was kind of hoping that paying for it once would be enough..

If not - how do I get it to install? Thanks in advance..

Now where is the Bioshock?!
post #21367 of 22283 Old 06-23-2016, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
WoW!!! This is so much better for viewing the games and Apps! I can't believe it took them over 2.5 years to finally have a more useful way of viewing the games and apps.
I know, right? Makes you wonder how a tech giant designs UI's like that lol.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #21368 of 22283 Old 06-23-2016, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECS01 View Post
Fallout New Vegas is Backward Comp!! Woot!

OK - so now my question for the experts here.. Does anyone know if we need to re-buy all the extra content if we already have the "ultimate edition" that included it all for XB360? I was kind of hoping that paying for it once would be enough..

If not - how do I get it to install? Thanks in advance..

I have DLC for Fable II (Knothole Island and See the Future). I can see it but when I request it it does not run. The problem could well be unique to that game.

And yeah--where are the Bioshock games and Red Dead Redemption? We've been promised the former for a long time and the in-development version of the latter was briefly leaked a month or two ago.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill

Last edited by michaeltscott; 06-23-2016 at 07:58 PM.
post #21369 of 22283 Old 06-24-2016, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I have DLC for Fable II (Knothole Island and See the Future). I can see it but when I request it it does not run. The problem could well be unique to that game.

And yeah--where are the Bioshock games and Red Dead Redemption? We've been promised the former for a long time and the in-development version of the latter was briefly leaked a month or two ago.
If I was a cynic (and I am) I'd guess that they are wanting us to re-buy all the DLC since it shows up in the store.. However even if I was inclined to do so I'd want to know it was actually going to work first.

Most of the time DLC is available through the "manage game" feature, when installing a B.C. game but that doesn't seem to be the case this time for some reason...
post #21370 of 22283 Old 06-24-2016, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

One thing I miss with the new update is the coming soon section in the games area. I found it nice to see what's coming down the pike.

I'm having a hard time not hitting the RB button now that it doesn't scroll right. Darn muscle memory.
post #21371 of 22283 Old 06-25-2016, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmorgan View Post
One thing I miss with the new update is the coming soon section in the games area. I found it nice to see what's coming down the pike.

I'm having a hard time not hitting the RB button now that it doesn't scroll right. Darn muscle memory.

What?!? That is gone? That's my favorite section too, where would you go now to pre-order a game.

Maybe you just have not found it yet?

Xbox Live: IamVertigo
PSN: IamVertigo
post #21372 of 22283 Old 06-25-2016, 09:08 AM

Got the update a little while ago. OK so far, though I haven't tested it much. I started the machine to play some Rock Band 4 and after a long pause to let the update install that's what I did. The "Xbox go to" voice command still works; that's the most important thing to me, since I typically only start the machine and call out "Xbox go to <this-or-that-game>" and thing turn it off when I'm done.

I did take a look at the My Games and Apps changes--nice. What's the little rectangle up next to the battery strength indicator?

post #21373 of 22283 Old 06-25-2016, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
What?!? That is gone? That's my favorite section too, where would you go now to pre-order a game.

Maybe you just have not found it yet?
It's possible I haven't found it yet, but I don't think that's the case. Maybe it will be included in a future update. I can't remember what I read in the notes for the last update.
post #21374 of 22283 Old 06-25-2016, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Got the update a little while ago. OK so far, though I haven't tested it much. I started the machine to play some Rock Band 4 and after a long pause to let the update install that's what I did. The "Xbox go to" voice command still works; that's the most important thing to me, since I typically only start the machine and call out "Xbox go to <this-or-that-game>" and thing turn it off when I'm done.

I did take a look at the My Games and Apps changes--nice. What's the little rectangle up next to the battery strength indicator?
The rectangle is the symbol for your Kinect indicating that the mic is on and it's listening.
post #21375 of 22283 Old 06-25-2016, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 1638
Okay, just got the Hauppauge Xbox TV tuner and it says NTSC / ATSC / QAM HD TV on the external casing. Does that mean you can feed a Clear QAM cable and get basic cable to it? I thought the device was OTA only. I cut the cable so it doesn't really matter to me but some friends were asking and I don't know what to say. Would be terrible to recommend it and then it doesn't work for them.

Anyway, it's working great! Much much better integration with OneGuide and faster also (than my old Homeworx device). OneGuide has come a long way from when the One first came out!
post #21376 of 22283 Old 06-25-2016, 05:14 PM

The Cox system that I'm on has no clear QAM; they just removed all of the NTSC channels early this year and require that people take at least a "Cox mini-box" to get anything (a very small STB which gets you 40-50 channels, basic and extended); they give you up to three of them for free for a year, $3/month per thereafter. Since the FCC changed the rules allowing them to encrypt the locals more and more systems are going that route.

post #21377 of 22283 Old 06-25-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmorgan View Post
The rectangle is the symbol for your Kinect indicating that the mic is on and it's listening.

Aha! I guess that little dot on the left is meant to signify the cameras (always covered on my by the little gimmick which came with the PDP top-of-panel stand), and the line underneath signifies the mic array. I just tried turning it off and the icon became a microphone with a little slashed circle on it (presumably meaning that there's no mic). I suppose that if I turned on my headset the little slashed circle would disappear.

post #21378 of 22283 Old 06-25-2016, 07:21 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:

My XBox voice commands stopped working at some point after the update. So I had to switch to Cortana. Cortana does seem to work well. I just need to say extra words with it.

post #21379 of 22283 Old 06-25-2016, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

the voice command for the screenshot failed me completely...

I was playing Rainbow Six Siege. perfect moment for a screenshot (but during a firefight). said "Xbox, take a screenshot." realized it wouldn't work. said, "Hey Cortana, take a screenshot." she took her time. moment long since passed. finally settled on showing in the corner "HBO Go". Wouldn't load since I don't have HBO Go installed. said something about something going wrong. snapped a blank app. meanwhile, I was getting shot up. lost audio during the whole sequence. since the snapped app was now the focus, I lost control of my game character.

"Xbox, take a screenshot" voice command has almost always been reliable for me (maybe 90% on first try, 100% after 2 tries). but the new one is a disaster.

I tried the double tap of the Xbox button to bring up the take a screenshot option but that took longer than with the old dash. so it seems like the feature isn't good for in-the-moment situation anymore. more for situations where you have time to pause and pose.

they really need to put back in parallel the "Xbox, ..." commands.

On another note, I was surprised how well the Kinect was picking up what I was saying. I was blasting music from my Sonos. And it did an admirable job overall of deciphering my words (I do tend to mumble because I'm not a loud person). It does seem to be better with Cortana, even if it is super slow.
post #21380 of 22283 Old 06-25-2016, 09:57 PM

"Xbox turn off" isn't working properly for me. The Yes/No prompt appears and the buttons on it can be selected with a controller or IR remote command but it refused to hear me call out "Yes".

If the problem persists I'll report it.

post #21381 of 22283 Old 06-25-2016, 11:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Quote:
"Xbox turn off" isn't working properly for me. The Yes/No prompt appears and the buttons on it can be selected with a controller or IR remote command but it refused to hear me call out "Yes".

Try "Hey Cortana, Sleep... then yes"

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #21382 of 22283 Old 06-25-2016, 11:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

is there a list of new voice commands? I feel so lost now.
post #21383 of 22283 Old 06-26-2016, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post
is there a list of new voice commands? I feel so lost now.

I found this one.

Not lovin' Cortana--it's not hearing me very well and it's slow. I think that I'll disable it and try to get back to the Xbox commands.
onlysublime likes this.

post #21384 of 22283 Old 06-26-2016, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked: 858
For me Cortana understands me, but yes she's SLOOOOOOOOW. "XBOX Record That" was super fast and responsive. Now, Cortana has to spin up, then decipher your action, then eventually perform the action. I think they should have left the original XBOX commands in place for super easy stuff but left Cortana to do the complex requests.
post #21385 of 22283 Old 06-26-2016, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post
the voice command for the screenshot failed me completely...

I was playing Rainbow Six Siege. perfect moment for a screenshot (but during a firefight). said "Xbox, take a screenshot." realized it wouldn't work. said, "Hey Cortana, take a screenshot." she took her time. moment long since passed. finally settled on showing in the corner "HBO Go". Wouldn't load since I don't have HBO Go installed. said something about something going wrong. snapped a blank app. meanwhile, I was getting shot up. lost audio during the whole sequence. since the snapped app was now the focus, I lost control of my game character.

"Xbox, take a screenshot" voice command has almost always been reliable for me (maybe 90% on first try, 100% after 2 tries). but the new one is a disaster.

I tried the double tap of the Xbox button to bring up the take a screenshot option but that took longer than with the old dash. so it seems like the feature isn't good for in-the-moment situation anymore. more for situations where you have time to pause and pose.

they really need to put back in parallel the "Xbox, ..." commands.

On another note, I was surprised how well the Kinect was picking up what I was saying. I was blasting music from my Sonos. And it did an admirable job overall of deciphering my words (I do tend to mumble because I'm not a loud person). It does seem to be better with Cortana, even if it is super slow.
My experience as well...

I had a couple exceptional games in Overwatch, the past few nights and wanted to record my score. All I got from Cortana was "sorry about that".

After the first two failed...my buddy, (who must not have Kinect) says: "can't you just do the double tap thing?" Which I had completely forgotten about since the record that/take a screenshot feature has been so flawless.

The last one I was able to take the shot...but the doubletap/menu press Y to take a screenshot didn't really come up very fast. or not at all...I had to try several times. And the Overwatch after match scoreboard doesn't stay up very long, there's also no "review" mode...so it was a scramble.

Quote:

I have been frustrated with the "Xbox On", and "Off" since updating to Cortana as well...she spins up, and waits. Sometimes I have to walk over and let Kinect sign me in. Once she kept waiting and I could not turn her off...had to do a hard reset...

I am also increasingly more aware that I am talking to someone, instead of my Xbox. It didn't really bother me before, but now I understand how some felt funny talking to their consoles since the inception...

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #21386 of 22283 Old 06-26-2016, 02:18 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post
For me Cortana understands me, but yes she's SLOOOOOOOOW. "XBOX Record That" was super fast and responsive. Now, Cortana has to spin up, then decipher your action, then eventually perform the action. I think they should have left the original XBOX commands in place for super easy stuff but left Cortana to do the complex requests.
I've haven't tried recording anything with Cortana. I'll need to check it out and see how it does. For turning my system on, it's actually been faster with Cortana. But with turning it off it seems to go through an extra step so that makes turning off a little slower. But overall, with how I've used Cortana, it's been similar in speed when compared to the old system(once you get used to saying the extra words). Although one time a search bar came up for something I spoke. That was the only time I've seen anything weird. So far.

post #21387 of 22283 Old 06-26-2016, 03:54 PM

Well, when I first booted the update the "Xbox" verbal commands were there; the only bug I'd noticed was that it wouldn't hear me say "Yes" after "Xbox turn off". Unfortunately, turning Cortana off does not get the Xbox commands back. I'm going to have to live with it . Hopefully it'll get better by and by.

post #21388 of 22283 Old 06-27-2016, 12:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I disagree on the "hey Cortana, Xbox on" and "hey Cortana, turn off". Both work well for me. In fact, I think "hey Cortana, Xbox on" is more reliable than Xbox on. The trigger seems more reliable. Hey Cortana gets it to wake better. And once it's awake you say Xbox on. When you just say Xbox on, sometimes the system failed to trigger to wake so you had to repeat. The behavior is different as well. When you say hey Cortana, with the system asleep, you see the Kinect light up but not the Xbox. With previous dashboards, it seemed both turned on about the same time.

But turning on and off are not time-sensitive activities. In contrast to the now wrecked screenshot and recording commands.

Also, I don't think you can interrupt Cortana once she starts. All you can do is wait for Cortana to take her time and then fail.
post #21389 of 22283 Old 06-27-2016, 01:41 AM

After playing Rock Band 4 for a couple of hours I called out "Hey Cortana, turn off" (without exiting the game). It displayed a "warming up" pop-up for a few seconds and did nothing. I repeated the command and had the same thing happen. Then I said, "Hey Cortana, go home". Eventually it went home, turned all of the labels green and posted "Now you can whatever you can see" (or something to that effect). I tried "Hey Cortana, turn off" multiple times without response. I finally gave up and used the controller.

I want my old Xbox verbal commands back . Sadly, I'm not going to get them. At this point Cortana is as flaky as fine pie crust. Hopefully it rapidly matures.

post #21390 of 22283 Old 06-27-2016, 12:16 PM

I notice that the machine now makes that sound that it used to make only when pressing the front panel power button whenever I turn it on or off via whatever method. No big deal, just different.
aaronwt likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page