Destiny: Bungie's next Franchise - Page 90 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 373Likes

post #2671 of 3616 Old 09-24-2015, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Having played the game for a week now and having sampled everything but the raid, I think Bungie did a pretty good job with their latest expansion. About the only mild complaint I have so far is that the difficulty can really ramp up when doing some of the missions at 240+. Depending on the mission, going solo on the Daily Heroic can be brutal and time consuming at best and even with a fireteam where everbody is around 290 light the Vanguard Heroics and Nightfalls are really tough (its a good thing that you don't get kicked back to orbit when everyone in the fireteam dies anymore). Those public events where the Taken corrupt an area and you must kill three lieutenants and a final boss are also really punishing unless you have at least three players (either as a fireteam or just randoms helping each other out).

I and a few friends tried to go for the Black Spindle yesterday and the sheer volume of enemies in the last section with the boss coupled with the strict time limit was just overwhelming. I think scaling things back just a bit and maybe being just a little more generous with the time limit would have made for a more fun experience.

I'd also like to see the burn modifiers on the Nightfalls get balanced again as currently Guardians do 2x damage while enemies do 3x damage. It's immediately evident (especially in this week's Nightfall) and it unbalances the experience and is a little unfair in my opinion.

I think Bungie went just a little overboard with the difficulty (hardly the first time that's happened) and dialing it back for some of the more challenging activities would make the game a lot more rewarding.

It's also looking more and more like players will HAVE to do the raid if they hope to get gear to bring their light level over 300. It seems most players are hitting a wall when they reach around 292 light. If this is the case it would be disappointing and a step back from what we got in House of Wolves. For all its faults, one thing HoW got right was giving players lots of ways to max out their stats without having to do the absolutely most difficult activities (ie: etheric light, armor cores and weapon cores).
Arutha_conDoin likes this.

Last edited by TonyDP; 09-24-2015 at 08:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2672 of 3616 Old 09-24-2015, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post
Those public events where the Taken corrupt an area and you must kill three lieutenants and a final boss are also really punishing unless you have at least three players (either as a fireteam or just randoms helping each other out).
Tell me about it . I've been trying to complete "The Taken War: Petra" quest with my hunter so that I can do her bounties and I can't remember it being this tedious when I did it with my Titan and Warlock; I think I just lucked out. I don't have anything that will kill the boss fast enough (reminiscent of the "Pack of Wolves" events, though sometimes I could complete those solo with the help of Gjallarhorn) before "the corruption subsides" on its own. So I hang around an area waiting for the event and if I'm alone I just bug out to another area where it happens. Twice at The Citadel I and 2 or 3 other people failed to find and kill the lieutenants fast enough to get the boss (sometimes they're invisible and not very aggressive). It's frustrating, tedious and unnecessarily time consuming.

With the other characters who've completed the quest I usually just ignore those, only killing Taken which shoot at me, unless I have a related bounty. If other people are around and fighting them in earnest I'll pitch in.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #2673 of 3616 Old 09-24-2015, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Tell me about it . I've been trying to complete "The Taken War: Petra" quest with my hunter so that I can do her bounties and I can't remember it being this tedious when I did it with my Titan and Warlock; I think I just lucked out. I don't have anything that will kill the boss fast enough (reminiscent of the "Pack of Wolves" events, though sometimes I could complete those solo with the help of Gjallarhorn) before "the corruption subsides" on its own. So I hang around an area waiting for the event and if I'm alone I just bug out to another area where it happens. Twice at The Citadel I and 2 or 3 other people failed to find and kill the lieutenants fast enough to get the boss (sometimes they're invisible and not very aggressive). It's frustrating, tedious and unnecessarily time consuming.

With the other characters who've completed the quest I usually just ignore those, only killing Taken which shoot at me, unless I have a related bounty. If other people are around and fighting them in earnest I'll pitch in.
Far moreso than the original game or the prior expansions, Bungie is really pushing players towards approaching most of the activities in groups (either formal teams or loose cooperation among randoms) this time around. I'm lucky in that I joined a clan a while ago and now there are often at least a couple of clanmates online when I play so I can usually jump into some activity that I'm pursuing. That has helped immensely and I haven't had to use DestinyLFG or similar sites for a while. Otherwise, I think I'd be really frustrated at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2674 of 3616 Old 09-24-2015, 08:54 PM

I am never doing one of those patrol missions with the death's head icon on Venus again. I picked one up at The Citadel and it took me all the way to Winter's Ketch, stopping a couple of times along the way to fight Taken. At least when you get to the Ketch the Taken are partially distracted by the House of Winter's guards. The rewards were good but it was like a whole freakin' story mission. The one you pick up at The Divide or The Steeps just takes you to the adjacent Dock 13 where you have to take down a bunch of Taken peons and a couple of "lieutenant" level yellow-bar characters but it pays 25 Vanguard rep plus usually multiple motes and coins.

post #2675 of 3616 Old 09-24-2015, 08:55 PM

BTW, can anything be done with Ascendant Energy (besides wasting glimmer converting it into Ascendant Shards)?

post #2676 of 3616 Old 09-25-2015, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 2125 Post(s)
Liked: 2788
Quote:
BTW, can anything be done with Ascendant Energy (besides wasting glimmer converting it into Ascendant Shards)?
You can convert them to glimmer if you ever get low on glimmer, other that that, nothing else.

post #2677 of 3616 Old 09-25-2015, 08:25 AM

Looks like Xur is selling Hawkmoon this week, but no Exotic armor engram. I'm tempted to buy it just because I have no Exotic primaries (and no year 2 Exotic weapons period), though I haven't been into Hand Cannons for a long time. They were my favorites in the beginning, then Pulse Rifles and now I'm a confirmed Scout Rifle freak . Somehow I never got into ARs. The Gunsmith's weapon test bounties are making me use them all .

I love this new age of plentiful SCs earned for all kinds of activities.

post #2678 of 3616 Old 09-25-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
You can convert them to glimmer if you ever get low on glimmer, other that that, nothing else.
Given that, I think that I'll indirectly convert them into Heavy and Special ammo packs. Exactly who can convert them into glimmer?

post #2679 of 3616 Old 09-25-2015, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 301
What do I do with these gun orders I picked up from the gunsmith? Do they turn into weapons when he refreshes on Wednesday?
post #2680 of 3616 Old 09-25-2015, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post
What do I do with these gun orders I picked up from the gunsmith? Do they turn into weapons when he refreshes on Wednesday?
Completed gun bounties earn you gunsmith reputation, once completed you can dismantle the weapon, no need to keep them.
post #2681 of 3616 Old 09-25-2015, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soycrema View Post
Completed gun bounties earn you gunsmith reputation, once completed you can dismantle the weapon, no need to keep them.
Yes, I've been doing those bounties with the test weapons. What I'm asking about is the row of gun orders that's below the row of test weapons. They cost 2500 glimmer, and now they're just sitting in my inventory. I'm assuming they turn into legendary weapons somehow, but it's not clear to me how that process works.
post #2682 of 3616 Old 09-25-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Yes, I've been doing those bounties with the test weapons. What I'm asking about is the row of gun orders that's below the row of test weapons. They cost 2500 glimmer, and now they're just sitting in my inventory. I'm assuming they turn into legendary weapons somehow, but it's not clear to me how that process works.

I bought one as well. I believe that you come pick them up on "Armsday" (aka Wednesday). It amazes me that there's a way to buy a Legendary weapon for 2500 glimmer.

post #2683 of 3616 Old 09-25-2015, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes that is correct, just go visit the gunsmith on Wednesday and those orders will turn into legendary guns.
post #2684 of 3616 Old 09-25-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Given that, I think that I'll indirectly convert them into Heavy and Special ammo packs. Exactly who can convert them into glimmer?
The speaker.

post #2685 of 3616 Old 09-25-2015, 12:01 PM

My Hunter ordered Suros DIS-43 from the Gunsmith which has pretty middling stats. All of the things you can order have all random perks, including the one that they start with. Hopefully I can order other stuff with my other characters as soon as I rank them up with the GS.

One unfortunate thing is that the order cannot be stored in your vault so it will take up a slot in your active gear until Armsday. Annoying, but getting a 280 damage rated Legendary weapon for a measly 2500 glimmer is worth it.

post #2686 of 3616 Old 09-25-2015, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
in less than 5 sentences is the new update worth it? why? why not?
post #2687 of 3616 Old 09-25-2015, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtg View Post
in less than 5 sentences is the new update worth it? why? why not?
If you liked the prior game and expansions you will get mileage from this. If you were frustrated by the game's design, mechanics and story you probably won't care for Taken King either. The expansion is more difficult, not friendly to the player who likes to go solo and demands a fireteam for nearly all its higher level activities.
post #2688 of 3616 Old 09-25-2015, 11:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
If you liked the prior game and expansions you will get mileage from this. If you were frustrated by the game's design, mechanics and story you probably won't care for Taken King either. The expansion is more difficult, not friendly to the player who likes to go solo and demands a fireteam for nearly all its higher level activities.
As someone who gave up very early on in the game (aka during launch week) TTK has been a MASSIVE upgrade imo. It's entertaining, I'm having fun playing it, it doesn't feel as grindy as it used to. As for the soloing, not entirely true. I solo'd my Warlock all the way to 40 and light level 281. The only thing you NEED a fireteam for is strikes, the raid (obviously) and some of the very late missions that are level 41-42.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
post #2689 of 3616 Old 09-26-2015, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post
As someone who gave up very early on in the game (aka during launch week) TTK has been a MASSIVE upgrade imo. It's entertaining, I'm having fun playing it, it doesn't feel as grindy as it used to. As for the soloing, not entirely true. I solo'd my Warlock all the way to 40 and light level 281. The only thing you NEED a fireteam for is strikes, the raid (obviously) and some of the very late missions that are level 41-42.
Last night I tried to solo a quest mission called Fear's Embrace and the boss encounter was just brutal as there were a ton of adds that just kept spawning. After trying it about 20 times on solo I gave up and found a couple of other people on DestinyLFG who were stuck on the same quest. Together we were finally able to take it down. I'm seeing more missions like this the deeper I go.
post #2690 of 3616 Old 09-26-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post
The only thing you NEED a fireteam for is strikes, the raid (obviously) and some of the very late missions that are level 41-42.

The problem is that you need to do strikes and other fireteam-oriented activities to gain Legendary Marks. I play the game solo for hours daily and I have 5. Previously you got 4 Vanguard Marks for gold-starring a public event, which accrued slowly but surely into amounts which could be used to buy Legendary gear. The only Legendary stuff I have is random things gifted to me in new-level-reached reward packages.

post #2691 of 3616 Old 09-26-2015, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
The problem is that you need to do strikes and other fireteam-oriented activities to gain Legendary Marks. I play the game solo for hours daily and I have 5. Previously you got 4 Vanguard Marks for gold-starring a public event, which accrued slowly but surely into amounts which could be used to buy Legendary gear. The only Legendary stuff I have is random things gifted to me in new-level-reached reward packages.
There is a daily crucible event that yields LM....as well as a daily heroic story...and weekly heroic strikes. These either matchmake or can easily be done solo.
post #2692 of 3616 Old 09-26-2015, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Last night I tried to solo a quest mission called Fear's Embrace and the boss encounter was just brutal as there were a ton of adds that just kept spawning. After trying it about 20 times on solo I gave up and found a couple of other people on DestinyLFG who were stuck on the same quest. Together we were finally able to take it down. I'm seeing more missions like this the deeper I go.
Yeah, that's the point where you really can't solo the missions anymore. I tried that guy a few times, came close, but too many adds so a friend and I duo'd it. Wasn't easy but we did it. Either way (Spoiler alert) there's only 2 missions after that. And the 2nd of the 2, is the one that tells you to beat the raid. So you're literally at the end of the game.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
post #2693 of 3616 Old 09-26-2015, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
The speaker.

BTW, AFAICT the Speaker does not convert AE into glimmer I went to him with my AE in my Inventory and all I saw was the conversion to AS. No one seems to want them.

post #2694 of 3616 Old 09-27-2015, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
BTW, AFAICT the Speaker does not convert AE into glimmer I went to him with my AE in my Inventory and all I saw was the conversion to AS. No one seems to want them.
I'm pretty sure you can turn the shards into MOL. If I remember correctly, that's how I have like 900 motes now. At least there's that...

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #2695 of 3616 Old 09-27-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
I'm pretty sure you can turn the shards into MOL. If I remember correctly, that's how I have like 900 motes now. At least there's that...

If this article is true I can turn them into shards for 50 glimmer each then pay 2 shards for a mote . I have 94 of them; that's 4700 glimmer for 47 motes. I suppose that the next time my glimmer is at the limit I'll consider it--it's a much better deal than giving Xur 2 SC for a single mote. I've come to really like trading motes for faction rep to get the next level gift basket .

post #2696 of 3616 Old 09-27-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
If this article is true I can turn them into shards for 50 glimmer each then pay 2 shards for a mote . I have 94 of them; that's 4700 glimmer for 47 motes. I suppose that the next time my glimmer is at the limit I'll consider it--it's a much better deal than giving Xur 2 SC for a single mote....

Yeah, that turned out to be on the nose. I could also have gotten 250 glimmer each for the shards--essentially 200 glimmer each for the AE--but motes were more attractive. I used them and a few plasteel plates to advance my Titan's faction level and got some coins, some motes and a nifty new Legendary ass-rag .

post #2697 of 3616 Old 09-27-2015, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ha!! I tried this mission solo as well and go to the boss, spent over an hour with my 294 Titan and could not kill the boss. Finally a buddy signed on and we were able to finish on our second try. The easiest way to do it is to just stay in the area where the final encounter begins and shoot at the boss from there, don't bother going to the arena.
post #2698 of 3616 Old 09-27-2015, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soycrema View Post
Ha!! I tried this mission solo as well and go to the boss, spent over an hour with my 294 Titan and could not kill the boss. Finally a buddy signed on and we were able to finish on our second try. The easiest way to do it is to just stay in the area where the final encounter begins and shoot at the boss from there, don't bother going to the arena.
I was 292 and came oh so close on a couple of occasions to finishing the boss off solo but the constantly respawning blights were just too much. I tried hiding in that initial alcove and was consistently ripped apart at some point or another. I haven't even bothered trying the following mission yet; I'll probably farm a few players on DestinyLFG when I do decide to tackle it (and if you haven't done the subsequent missions yet, feel free to send an invite if you see me online).

I did some Heroic Vanguard strikes and Court of Oryx today; burned thru about ten Three of Coins and got absolutely nothing in terms of exotics; only a few incrementally better rares and a couple of legendaries that were quickly discarded; the grind really amps up once you make it to 290 light and even the exotic drops from 3ofC seem to have dried up. Bungie is overcompensating, methinks.

I also found it interesting how at least one person in the fireteam would drop out whenever the Fallen Saber strike came up; that is a pretty bad one, especially the Warsat section. The Nightfall was brutal. Once again, I think Bungie was a bit remiss in balancing the difficulty on some of the missions and I notice players being selective about strikes and dropping out a lot more.

Last edited by TonyDP; 09-27-2015 at 07:36 PM.
post #2699 of 3616 Old 09-28-2015, 05:20 AM

Instead of multiple posts to each post, saving time by putting them all in here.

You want to level up the gunsmith so you can have multiple weapon orders at one time since it takes a week to get the order back.

You REALLY REALLY REALLY want motes of light now, glimmer not so much. Pick a faction for the week (once per week) and then trade in the motes of light to the faction for rep gains. Each level of the rep gain you get a legendary package from them that contains legendary weapons or armor, legendary marks can be in there and lots of shaders, etc. Motes level them up the fastest.

Really focus on quests, the end result, after multiple stages, is usually a unique legendary/exotic that is only obtainable by doing that specific quest. Such as the unique artifact you can get from doing the Oryx quest line, etc.

Do the court of Oryx stat!!!!

Go to the court of Oryx alone, and see if there are people there doing it (random people). You can do it with a fireteam but you can also do this solo. If you don't see anyone there after a while, go to orbit and try again, you'll eventually hit a server where people are there. Tag along and help, if you have ruins to put into the statues you can help to but you don't even have to you can mooch off their ruins. Help out, and collect all the engrams that drop, you will level up your light level fast this way because of all the engrams.

post #2700 of 3616 Old 09-28-2015, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I was 292 and came oh so close on a couple of occasions to finishing the boss off solo but the constantly respawning blights were just too much. I tried hiding in that initial alcove and was consistently ripped apart at some point or another. I haven't even bothered trying the following mission yet; I'll probably farm a few players on DestinyLFG when I do decide to tackle it (and if you haven't done the subsequent missions yet, feel free to send an invite if you see me online).
Great thanks will do! Likewise, my gamertag is perUano.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Destiny Xbox One

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page