post #211 of 332 Old 10-29-2015, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post
If you're a purist that believes Halo should not have a team advancing through a level, then of course Halo 5 will not be good. And if you read his article, the crux of what he says is that it's "not Halo".

But the same was argued by some for Gears of War 3. Instead of just playing Dom and Marcus, you had a team of 4. And that annoyed the Gears purists.

Also, I heard the ending is like Halo 2.

But so far, the story's been great. Granted, I'm only through 3 levels (I like to get things out of the way like skulls and intel).
We are playing co-op so I can get those skulls and intel. I am playing by myself for the story on mission 5 and going through Heroic.

The 5.0 is here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 332 Old 10-29-2015, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
If you're a purist that believes Halo should not have a team advancing through a level, then of course Halo 5 will not be good. And if you read his article, the crux of what he says is that it's "not Halo".

But the same was argued by some for Gears of War 3. Instead of just playing Dom and Marcus, you had a team of 4. And that annoyed the Gears purists.

Also, I heard the ending is like Halo 2.

But so far, the story's been great. Granted, I'm only through 3 levels (I like to get things out of the way like skulls and intel).
Being a Halo purist doesn't mean soloing it. Reading through the lore and the novels, Chief's not alone all that often. Hell wasn't it 2 where we had the arbiter with us in missions? He hasn't been purely SOLO since the first one. That reviewer is an asshat

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
post #213 of 332 Old 10-29-2015, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 1638
In the games he's pretty solo. If you do co-op you have multiple copies of MC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 332 Old 10-29-2015, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In the games he's pretty solo. If you do co-op you have multiple copies of MC.
Only if you exclude ALL the AI that's in the game in a ton of the missions
Arutha_conDoin likes this.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
post #215 of 332 Old 10-30-2015, 01:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
My biggest worry about Halo 5 was the fact that you always have 3 other guys with you. To me, it seems like when they do something like this, that you're playing the game wrong if you play it solo. Like the game was deliberately designed to be played by 4 people and those playing it solo are doing it wrong.

Like sure... you can play solo if you want, and it's "ok", but if you want the real Halo 5 experience, you'll need to play with multiple people.

This was my biggest concern.

I haven't played the game yet, so not sure if any of my fears have been realized but I did read a bit of this engadget article:

http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/29/h...mbat-devolved/

and the guy seemed to be thinking along similar lines ( I didn't read too much cause he said there would be spoilers so I stopped reading it)

My question is for anybody playing this game solo, do you think the concerns are fully justified, or do you think this one guy at engadget is off on his own tangent with those complaints ?
My personal thought on this is I rather play it Solo through the first time. That way I can take in the whole story and cut scenes with no interruptions. There is no way to do that with me playing Co-op with friends since I know we would all be talking and giving crap to each other on who Effed up on the last level the most. So far I am on Mission 7 or 8 and have been loving the game in Solo mode. Hell I let Buck drive one of the vehicles when I was a gunner and that worked out pretty damn good. Certainly no worse then when I drive

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides

Last edited by Arutha_conDoin; 10-30-2015 at 08:54 AM.
post #216 of 332 Old 10-30-2015, 01:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post
Only if you exclude ALL the AI that's in the game in a ton of the missions
I remember driving over lots of those AI's in earlier games

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #217 of 332 Old 10-30-2015, 04:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1867 Post(s)
Liked: 2198
Quote:
Nah man, voice your opinion. I'm genuinely curious what people don't like about it. I myself am one of the people that sticks with Halo for the story/universe, the gameplay and such are completely secondary to me
- The game does not feel like a Halo game, feels like a crutch having these other team mates that kill everything, revive you, etc.
- AI of teammates is absolutely horrible. One time, one of them was behind a box, with wide open space on both sides of the box, but it kept running into the box trying to catch up, wasn't smart enough to go around a tiny obstacle.
- If you get in the back of a warthog because you want the fun of firing, the marine driver is horrible and spends a lot of time not going anywhere or helping you get the shot on the enemy.
- Everything is so linear, small path to walk down, not much variety to do things other than walk down that path and kill the group of enemies. Sure a few times you could take another path that takes you slightly higher but you still have no variety in how you want to approach that battle.
- The aiming is absolutely horrible. You aim down the reticule but if you get hit, it breaks that aim mode. You mean to tell me that in this advanced age of technology represented in the game, getting shot causes you to stop looking down your sights? You don't loose anything else, you can keep firing, do whatever, but you simply can't look down the sights. Horrible mechanics.
- None of the weapons "feel" good. They all feel like pea shooters. Nothing has that bad ass feel to it.
- Rocket launchers, shoot it at the ground or an enemy and you kill that one enemy, no big explosion to take out a group and it takes multiple rocket launchers (the most powerful thing in the game) to take down vehicles.
- Grenades are about as effective as a party popper. Tiny explosion area and minimal damage unless it lands at their feet. Everything now knows how to step aside when you throw a sticky grenade so they rarely work.
- Ending of the game is absolutely horrible and a cop out to make you buy the next one.
- The huge multi-player game mode (forget the dang name right now) is just a lot of running to the area just to get killed by the enemy camping in a location and spawn and run again. Sure you can change your spawn point but it is never close to what you want to do.
- Ammo is rare, making you have to use weapons you really don't want to because most enemies are bullet sponges now.
- Enemies that blink, cool concept - poorly executed. They just blink everywhere, no logic to it, they blink away, up high, back down low, up high again, back to the same spot, very poorly executed that becomes annoying and not an ability to help them in combat.
- Mini-bosses that you have to shoot its back only. Really, on a boss that just faces you all the time, no ability to get past him to get behind. You just have to wait until your enemy fires enough to make it turn. That is what Halo 5 is now, shoot the glowing thing on its back, not original at all.
- The team that follows you seems like an after thought, no way to really coordinate anything, go here and defend, etc. they are just there doing their own thing.

Could go on with some more but you get the point. Not a fan and I have played every Halo game, even the strategy game, and have defended this series in some heated debates against critics. Not sure I can do that now.

post #218 of 332 Old 10-30-2015, 04:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
...........Hell I let Buck drive one of the vehicles when I was a gunner and that worked out pretty damn good. Certainly know worse then when I drive
It seems the AI's have greatly improved. Heck, I've targeted something & the squad has actually managed to kill them off. Remember Reach? They never killed anything

It's like any game, developers take crap if they don't change anything (stale) & they take crap if they do make changes. Personally I'll take the changes, some are good & some not so much but it's better than the same old stuff. I think that review is funny, same noise I heard when Reach came out, tons of "I hate having a team.....blah, blah, blah". In the end it was what it was, a decent game. Same as 4, some hate it as it was different. I liked it, not my fav, but I liked it. Hated the Promethean Knights @ first but learned to adapt tactics - guess it will be the same for this one, just need to adapt (& suck less at the shoulder charge ) I do like the game is much more vertical due to the jump & climb. I keep forgetting too go up.

Botton line it that it's a game, don't like it then move on. Me? No matter what they do Locke will always be an ONI piece of s*** just like Halsey.
mboojigga likes this.

It's just my opinion & it's worth exactly what you paid for it.

Last edited by Bailey151; 10-30-2015 at 04:49 AM.
post #219 of 332 Old 10-30-2015, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
- The game does not feel like a Halo game, feels like a crutch having these other team mates that kill everything, revive you, etc.
- AI of teammates is absolutely horrible. One time, one of them was behind a box, with wide open space on both sides of the box, but it kept running into the box trying to catch up, wasn't smart enough to go around a tiny obstacle.
- If you get in the back of a warthog because you want the fun of firing, the marine driver is horrible and spends a lot of time not going anywhere or helping you get the shot on the enemy.
- Everything is so linear, small path to walk down, not much variety to do things other than walk down that path and kill the group of enemies. Sure a few times you could take another path that takes you slightly higher but you still have no variety in how you want to approach that battle.
- The aiming is absolutely horrible. You aim down the reticule but if you get hit, it breaks that aim mode. You mean to tell me that in this advanced age of technology represented in the game, getting shot causes you to stop looking down your sights? You don't loose anything else, you can keep firing, do whatever, but you simply can't look down the sights. Horrible mechanics.
- None of the weapons "feel" good. They all feel like pea shooters. Nothing has that bad ass feel to it.
- Rocket launchers, shoot it at the ground or an enemy and you kill that one enemy, no big explosion to take out a group and it takes multiple rocket launchers (the most powerful thing in the game) to take down vehicles.
- Grenades are about as effective as a party popper. Tiny explosion area and minimal damage unless it lands at their feet. Everything now knows how to step aside when you throw a sticky grenade so they rarely work.
- Ending of the game is absolutely horrible and a cop out to make you buy the next one.
- The huge multi-player game mode (forget the dang name right now) is just a lot of running to the area just to get killed by the enemy camping in a location and spawn and run again. Sure you can change your spawn point but it is never close to what you want to do.
- Ammo is rare, making you have to use weapons you really don't want to because most enemies are bullet sponges now.
- Enemies that blink, cool concept - poorly executed. They just blink everywhere, no logic to it, they blink away, up high, back down low, up high again, back to the same spot, very poorly executed that becomes annoying and not an ability to help them in combat.
- Mini-bosses that you have to shoot its back only. Really, on a boss that just faces you all the time, no ability to get past him to get behind. You just have to wait until your enemy fires enough to make it turn. That is what Halo 5 is now, shoot the glowing thing on its back, not original at all.
- The team that follows you seems like an after thought, no way to really coordinate anything, go here and defend, etc. they are just there doing their own thing.

Could go on with some more but you get the point. Not a fan and I have played every Halo game, even the strategy game, and have defended this series in some heated debates against critics. Not sure I can do that now.
I think you make some valid points here, although I would argue that the items in bold have been an issue with the whole series, not just this version. The weapons and grenades have never had quite the same "impact" as they do in other games. The ammo thing has always driven me nuts, although it does seem a bit worse in Halo 5. I find myself having to pick up weapons that I really don't want to use simply because there is no ammo for my weapon of choice.

Regarding the story, a game's story has never really been a deciding factor on whether I like a game. It's possible this is just an issue with me, as I have trouble piecing together an overall story from small snippets. I also can't really pay attention to the meaning of song lyrics (much to the chagrin of my wife as I apparently play inappropriate songs with the kids in the car), so maybe my brain just isn't wired right. I think I've played through mission 6 so far, and all I've picked up on is that Osiris is going after Master Chief for some reason.

I think what I find most jarring is actually the presentation. Maybe I've just been playing 30 fps Destiny too long, but the buttery smooth 60 fps just feels awkward to me. Perhaps I'll get used to it over time. Also, many of the textures in the game are far too clean/shiny, which is another hallmark of the Halo series that I've never liked.
post #220 of 332 Old 10-30-2015, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
Hell I let Buck drive one of the vehicles when I was a gunner and that worked out pretty damn good. Certainly know worse then when I drive
I enjoy driving in games if its a addendum or add-on to the game, meaning you don't NEED to drive to accomplish the goal. Especially if the driving sequence is timed. For example, driving around in any of the vehicles in Far Cry 4 was fine.

I hate driving if its required. I suck bad at it. When I finally got around to playing the remastered Combat Evolved for the 360, my heart sank at the last sequence where I had to drive the Warthog out.
post #221 of 332 Old 10-30-2015, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 2636 Post(s)
Liked: 2584
Does this game have anything similar to Halo 4's Spartan Ops co-op mode? That was a really awesome way to extend the campaign beyond the main game and give some structure to the somewhat aimless Firefight mode from Reach.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #222 of 332 Old 10-30-2015, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

It just seems odd to me on some of these, as they've been in the games since Halo 1.

- I don't mind the team AI, on Heroic+ they're really an after thought, all they're good for is reviving you (if they're not stupid enough to run right past an enemy when there was perfectly safe cover the back way...)
- In the campaign I always drive so I haven't had the issue with terrible AI driving, but again that's been in the series a lot already.
- Some missions (I've only played the first 6) are linear, but I honestly don't mind. Open-worldy hasn't been a staple of the series. Look back at all of them. You get a handful of missions that "feel" non-linear due to the size, but think hard, they were all linear as hell.
- As for the ADS breaking. That's been in the game since 1. Sure it might be annoying, but the game was never about ADS anyway, they tacked it on to keep kids happy.
- The human weapons feel mostly fine to me, however the Covenant and Promethean weapons sound and feel like a kid going "pew pew I got you, you're supposed to be dead" fully agree there aside from the human weaps.
- Rockets and Nades work fantastically for me. The explosions are somewhat lackluster, but they work as intended on groups. Offensive grenades don't have a large blast radius btw. And the RL is not the most powerful weapon. That goes to the Rail Gun or Spartan Laser imo. those handily 1-shot most vehicles.
- Haven't gotten to the ending, but I'm certainly not surprised considering this was always set up to be the 2nd trilogy 4/5/6.
- Ammo being rare I'm perfectly ok with honestly, especially on the harder difficulties. It throws a wrench into your plans to just use the same 2 guns the whole game, and I like that.
- Oh god, the blinking enemies... annoying. But my playstle is generally distance kills so they don't get too annoying with the blinks, but yeah it's used WAY too often by the AI.
- Shooting in the back I assume you mean the Hunters? They've been that way wince Halo 1, they're just harder here, you can't one-shot them. However you can kill them with nothing but frontal attacks. heavier weapons take down the armor fairly quickly. If you mean other enemies, maybe like the boss in mission 5? I smacked his but down hard, but I had an Incineration Cannon so that probably helped lol.
- I generally find myself ignoring the AI teammates until I'm down, because on Heroic+ that's all they're really good for, they die so easily.

post #223 of 332 Old 10-30-2015, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Makes me wonder if we're playing the same game.

Halo 5 is by far the least linear of all the Halos. Halo was always played on a single layer. There was no verticality or open space like in Halo 5. In Halo 5, if you don't want to confront them, you can flank them. And if you don't want to flank them, you can climb over crates and up to ledges to fight.

Complaining about the reticle moving when you get hit by gunfire? Really???

The problem i had with the previous Halo games with the guns was that all the guns had the same kind of vibration and the same sci-fi pew pew sounds. But this Halo has UNSC guns that sound and feel like guns from COD. And the vibration is nuanced now. They actually made the basic guns feel and sound great like the assault rifle.

You don't even know the name of the new MP game mode and clearly don't know what you're supposed to do. At least get to know the name of the game.

You do realize that you can control your squadmates, right? If you're just chaotic and let them do whatever, then it's just chaos. Be in control of your squadmates. You can't complain that the squadmates do all the work for you but that you have zero control over them.

Quote:
tampabuc and mboojigga like this.
post #224 of 332 Old 10-30-2015, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 259
I think the final word is in. This hobby has come to it's end for so many old folks...

Can we all just agree to "suffer" through Halo 5??? -My current favorite game ever

• Most people were too cheap to buy a Kinect years ago after waiting & saving almost a decade for a new console - ugh (pennies a day); therefore everything Xbox sucks this gen and as a result - all of gaming as we know it has suffered long term.
  • Cable TV is dying out - screw everyone! The rest of us who need live sports DAILY & actually LIVE are suffering! THANKS cord-cutters!
  • Paying for online gaming sucks; time to pay up you cheap PS3 only bastards (what a surprise!)
  • Stable network, friends, and constantly (fast) evolving features are the most important things ever (except for the cheap ass PS crowd that deserted Xbox or were never there to begin with, WTF???)
  • Exclusives and variety are SUPER important (except for the fact that the only notable PS exclusive since the 2013 console launch is Bloodborne which no one actually plays; and No Man's Sky has been "delayed" yet again until Summer 2016 at best and everyone now agrees it will probably suck anyway). Uncharted...2016....so many issues there, so little time to discuss, yay!
  • Gone are the days of everyone being forced into the crappy PS platform just for Blu-Ray playback by AVS (certainly not for gaming - this is a good thing!). PROGRESS!
  • Customizable well-built controllers and custom consoles! At a premium but relatively CHEAP; a freaking OUTRAGE!

We could go on....but yeah, Halo 5 & anything Xbox TOTALLY sucks!!! I'm going to fire up my PS4 for the DriveClub - Bikes! expansion for $40 and MLB The Show 2015 this weekend just for old times sake. I can't wait! Let's hope the house doesn't burn down due to spontaneous dust fire combustion combined with the jet engine heat & noise the console generates by default!

Seriously....
So many of us here are spending thousands of dollars a year on this crap, including dozens of new games, extra consoles, accessories, etc. (not just 1 or 2 games here and there to bitch about). And we're actually ENJOYING it! The only thing questionable is why people in North America who love & appreciate console gaming bought a PS4 (myself included). No excuse or justification at all. Just dumb.

Last edited by tampabuc; 10-30-2015 at 05:40 PM.
post #225 of 332 Old 10-30-2015, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Just picked up Halo 5 today. Not sure if I'll keep it long-term or trade it in towards Tomb Raider after I beat the campaign(the time of which is bad for me, same day as Fallout 4!?). Not much for multiplayer. If anyone feels like doing co-op (other than @tampabuc , I can't handle his drunken slurring and his insults about my male pattern baldness ) feel free to hit me up if you see me online. GT is BiffCo.

On a side note, the NXE preview made my console pretty much unusable for anything other than YouTube. Had trouble connecting to Live every day, constant freezes that required hard resets and games that simply refused to load up. This was with the latest update that supposedly fixed everything. It did nothing but cause issues. Needless to say, I'm back to the original UI. Hopefully everything is worked out by the 12th when they drop it on all preview members.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
post #226 of 332 Old 10-30-2015, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabuc View Post
I think the final word is in. This hobby has come to it's end for so many old folks...

Can we all just agree to "suffer" through Halo 5??? -My current favorite game ever

• Most people were too cheap to buy a Kinect years ago after waiting & saving almost a decade for a new console - ugh (pennies a day); therefore everything Xbox sucks this gen and as a result - all of gaming as we know it has suffered long term.
  • Cable TV is dying out - screw everyone! The rest of us who need live sports DAILY & actually LIVE are suffering! THANKS cord-cutters!
  • Paying for online gaming sucks; time to pay up you cheap PS3 only bastards (what a surprise!)
  • Stable network, friends, and constantly (fast) evolving features are the most important things ever (except for the cheap ass PS crowd that deserted Xbox or were never there to begin with, WTF???)
  • Exclusives and variety are SUPER important (except for the fact that the only notable PS exclusive since the 2013 console launch is Bloodborne which no one actually plays; and No Man's Sky has been "delayed" yet again until Summer 2016 at best and everyone now agrees it will probably suck anyway). Uncharted...2016....so many issues there, so little time to discuss, yay!
  • Gone are the days of everyone being forced into the crappy PS platform just for Blu-Ray playback by AVS (certainly not for gaming - this is a good thing!). PROGRESS!
  • Customizable well-built controllers and custom consoles! At a premium but relatively CHEAP; a freaking OUTRAGE!

We could go on....but yeah, Halo 5 & anything Xbox TOTALLY sucks!!! I'm going to fire up my PS4 for the DriveClub - Bikes! expansion for $40 and MLB The Show 2015 this weekend just for old times sake. I can't wait! Let's hope the house doesn't burn down due to spontaneous dust fire combustion combined with the jet engine heat & noise the console generates by default!

Seriously....
So many of us here are spending thousands of dollars a year on this crap, including dozens of new games, extra consoles, accessories, etc. (not just 1 or 2 games here and there to bitch about). And we're actually ENJOYING it! The only thing questionable is why people in North America who love & appreciate console gaming bought a PS4 (myself included). No excuse or justification at all. Just dumb.
No Man's Sky isn't exclusive btw. I'll be picking it up on PC

As a side note, Halo 5 with a mouse and keyboard is freakin amazing
tampabuc and Arutha_conDoin like this.

post #227 of 332 Old 10-31-2015, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 73
Quote:
......As a side note, Halo 5 with a mouse and keyboard is freakin amazing
I use a a mouse & joystick-ish controller (venom X) I find it most excellent. My issues with the game are generally changes, I need to adapt (like I have for every version ). Seems I always start out with "WTF, how do I? Where is? What?" A few months in things change.

It's just my opinion & it's worth exactly what you paid for it.
post #228 of 332 Old 11-01-2015, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm on mission 7 or 8 and it's basically a chore to continue. I'll see it out until the end but I'll be trading this one in ASAP. I'm not a huge Halo fan, but having played all the games, this feels more like a generic Halo ripoff than an actual release. The coop makes a better experience, but I typically get bored within a mission or two.

Also, what is up with the lifeless sound design? The cutscenes sound pretty great with plenty of range and bombast when needed, but then the actual gameplay kicks in and it's like they put a blanket over everything.

The weapons are okay, but some of them feel grossly under-powered. The Hydra Launcher comes to mind. The blast radius on the grenades are also way too small.

Don't get me started on the story or how it really has nothing to do with any of the trailers that have been released. I will say, the story so far is about as lackluster and underwhelming as they come. The game builds a little tension that ends up going nowhere.
post #229 of 332 Old 11-01-2015, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
I'm on mission 7 or 8 and it's basically a chore to continue. I'll see it out until the end but I'll be trading this one in ASAP. I'm not a huge Halo fan, but having played all the games, this feels more like a generic Halo ripoff than an actual release. The coop makes a better experience, but I typically get bored within a mission or two.

Also, what is up with the lifeless sound design? The cutscenes sound pretty great with plenty of range and bombast when needed, but then the actual gameplay kicks in and it's like they put a blanket over everything.

The weapons are okay, but some of them feel grossly under-powered. The Hydra Launcher comes to mind. The blast radius on the grenades are also way too small.

Don't get me started on the story or how it really has nothing to do with any of the trailers that have been released. I will say, the story so far is about as lackluster and underwhelming as they come. The game builds a little tension that ends up going nowhere.
Again, offensive grenades don't have a large kill radius, they're designed not to. You want a big blast, you go defensive grenades, but they trade the bigger blast for less damage, they're designed to be a suppression weapon. Hell the normal M67 frag only has a kill zone of about 15ft.

If you're using nades to kill, you're doing it wrong (not just defending Halo here, this is for ALL games). If you get a nade kill, the target was either right on top of it, or already injured enough. Offensive nades are a flushing tool. Throw one, and shoot the targets when they flee

post #230 of 332 Old 11-01-2015, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 311
I've made to Chapter 6; I'm playing on easy because I've always been into the storylines in the Halo games and playing at harder difficulties for the first run thru leads to me focusing on staying alive and making it to the end of the level rather than just taking in the story.

The game definitely has a different feel to it from past Halo games; the Spartans are no longer the lumbering behemoths of past games; now they move and jump around nimbly. The weapons of the Halo games have always been a mixed bag with most feeling a bit underpowered compared to the firepower the enemies possess. The grenades definitely do feel far less useful this time around; even the plasma grenades just don't have the punch that they used to. Graphically it all looks very nice and the 60fps makes everything move smoothly, sometimes unrealistically so - the Spartans in that opening cinematic for example moved like they had no mass to them.

By far my biggest gripe so far is that the Master Chief is basically an afterthought as 4 of the first 5 missions have focused on Locke and his team. Also, though I've tried to stay largely spoiler free, I'm getting the sense that this game is more a setup for Halo 6 than a self-contained story. Middle chapters of a trilogy always suffer from that problem but it seems to be getting telegraphed way ahead here. I also don't care for how some of the notable enemies are dispatched in a cinematic rather than via actual gameplay.

The story is also a bit disjointed; significant events have obviously happened between Halo 4 and Halo 5 but they are just glossed over and not having delved too much into the expanded universe I'm left wondering about that Covenant civil war, why the Prometheans are everywhere, etc.

So overall I like the game and think it is a technically competent effort but I'm definitely not "wowed" by it so far.

Last edited by TonyDP; 11-01-2015 at 02:32 PM.
post #231 of 332 Old 11-01-2015, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post
I've made to Chapter 6; I'm playing on easy because I've always been into the storylines in the Halo games and playing at harder difficulties for the first run thru leads to me focusing on staying alive and making it to the end of the level rather than just taking in the story.

The game definitely has a different feel to it from past Halo games; the Spartans are no longer the lumbering behemoths of past games; now they move and jump around nimbly. The weapons of the Halo games have always been a mixed bag with most feeling a bit underpowered compared to the firepower the enemies possess. The grenades definitely do feel far less useful this time around; even the plasma grenades just don't have the punch that they used to. Graphically it all looks very nice and the 60fps makes everything move smoothly, sometimes unrealistically so - the Spartans in that opening cinematic for example moved like they had no mass to them.

By far my biggest gripe so far is that the Master Chief is basically an afterthought as 4 of the first 5 missions have focused on Locke and his team. Also, though I've tried to stay largely spoiler free, I'm getting the sense that this game is more a setup for Halo 6 than a self-contained story. Middle chapters of a trilogy always suffer from that problem but it seems to be getting telegraphed way ahead here. I also don't care for how some of the notable enemies are dispatched in a cinematic rather than via actual gameplay.

The story is also a bit disjointed; significant events have obviously happened between Halo 4 and Halo 5 but they are just glossed over and not having delved too much into the expanded universe I'm left wondering about that Covenant civil war, why the Prometheans are everywhere, etc.

So overall I like the game and think it is a technically competent effort but I'm definitely not "wowed" by it so far.
They've only ever been lumbering in the games. in the actual lore and universe, they're incredibly fast, nimble, and crazy good. I distinctly remember a scene in which Linda was hanging onto a Banshee with on arm as it was flying, and sniping enemies with the other. Reading the universe actually makes me a tad disappointed with how the Spartans have been portrayed in the games. The opening cutscene for Halo 5 has been the most accurate representation I've seen, to how they're actually supposed to be.
mboojigga likes this.

post #232 of 332 Old 11-01-2015, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just completed the entire game on Heroic solo and managed to find all the Intel pieces and nearly all the skulls (I think there's one that I can get when I set it to legendary). I must say the story was much improved from Halo 4. And the graphics were beautiful. 60 frames was so smooth on my 1080p plasma, the draw distances were immense with such great visuals. I like how you had to use weapons as you ran into them on the ground like you would in real life instead of having ammo for whatever weapon I started with spoon fed to me. Adds a bit of realism. I like that there were so many different ways to get past enemies. Didn't want to use vehicles, do it on foot. Want to avoid firefights, go around. Reminiscent of tactics I needed when I was beating Halo CE on legendary. AI wasn't much use except as bait, but that was expected at the difficulty setting. I'm sure they're more useful on the easy setting. But they were smart when I told them to go places and man turrets or jump into or out of vehicles as needed. And the ending was great. Now I'm warmed up for my solo legendary run. Time to spend more time in MM. Looking forward to Halo 6.
post #233 of 332 Old 11-01-2015, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Again, offensive grenades don't have a large kill radius, they're designed not to. You want a big blast, you go defensive grenades, but they trade the bigger blast for less damage, they're designed to be a suppression weapon. Hell the normal M67 frag only has a kill zone of about 15ft.

If you're using nades to kill, you're doing it wrong (not just defending Halo here, this is for ALL games). If you get a nade kill, the target was either right on top of it, or already injured enough. Offensive nades are a flushing tool. Throw one, and shoot the targets when they flee
I'm actually playing true game like I used to play the other Halo games, so maybe I'm doing it wrong? I don't know, but this doesn't feel like a Halo game to me.

Graphically there are some amazing set pieces marred by the sometimes inadequate presentation. The draw distances for far off structures are fine, but things like plants or rocks fade in far too close to the player. The player animations for anything over 15 feet are halved, making them look jerky at 30fps.

The dynamic resolution does a pretty decent job, though it doesn't look all that detailed most of the time. Honestly, it's one ugly looking game a lot of the time. Blurry and filtered are two terms that come to mind immediately. I don't like how it looks, and actually find Halo 4 to look better overall. Some of the lighting is nice though, but the effects work typically ruins that.

Personally, they should've stuck to 30fps for the campaign. 60fps is nice, but it's obvious they had to cut back quite a lot to achieve that.
post #234 of 332 Old 11-01-2015, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
I'm actually playing true game like I used to play the other Halo games, so maybe I'm doing it wrong? I don't know, but this doesn't feel like a Halo game to me.

Graphically there are some amazing set pieces marred by the sometimes inadequate presentation. The draw distances for far off structures are fine, but things like plants or rocks fade in far too close to the player. The player animations for anything over 15 feet are halved, making them look jerky at 30fps.

The dynamic resolution does a pretty decent job, though it doesn't look all that detailed most of the time. Honestly, it's one ugly looking game a lot of the time. Blurry and filtered are two terms that come to mind immediately. I don't like how it looks, and actually find Halo 4 to look better overall. Some of the lighting is nice though, but the effects work typically ruins that.

Personally, they should've stuck to 30fps for the campaign. 60fps is nice, but it's obvious they had to cut back quite a lot to achieve that.
Personally they should have released it on PC as well. MS has no reason not to since they OWN the IP now. I'm one of probably millions who would double-dip and happily buy the Halo Franchise again on PC. I already know 5 plays beautifully with a mouse and keyboard, I'm doing that already. The we'd have the visuals, framerate, and resolution to boot. And possibly audio mods to make the sounds better. I'd personally love the sounds to be brought back from Halo CE.

post #235 of 332 Old 11-01-2015, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 3208 Post(s)
Liked: 3853
Quote:
Personally they should have released it on PC as well. MS has no reason not to since they OWN the IP now. I'm one of probably millions who would double-dip and happily buy the Halo Franchise again on PC. I already know 5 plays beautifully with a mouse and keyboard, I'm doing that already. The we'd have the visuals, framerate, and resolution to boot. And possibly audio mods to make the sounds better. I'd personally love the sounds to be brought back from Halo CE.
They didn't release in on the PC because this title was their hail marry to close the gap on the PS4. If the XB1 hardware numbers don't rise, I bet there will be a PC release.

AVP - Trinnov Alt16
Speakers - JBL M2 (3), JBL 708p (4), JBL 705i (4)
Subs - (2) Deep Sea Sound 24" & (2) Dual Stereo Integrity 18"
Video - Sony 55es
Screen - Seymour 127" A/T 16:9
post #236 of 332 Old 11-01-2015, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
They didn't release in on the PC because this title was their hail marry to close the gap on the PS4. If the XB1 hardware numbers don't rise, I bet there will be a PC release.
Except there is no gap. Go read the PS4 forums, people haven't been playing them much in the last 6+ months because of the dry spell in exclusives, it's all just the multiplatform games right now. The "gap" is all in peoples' heads. And what so many people don't seem to realize is just how much MS is pushing for a unified environment. There's literally no reason for them to NOT put XBO titles on PC, and even the head of Xbox has come out publicly in interviews saying that's exactly what he wants, including letting 360 games run on PC.

Halo 5 as a Hail Mary? To what? They don't need one.

post #237 of 332 Old 11-01-2015, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 3208 Post(s)
Liked: 3853
Quote:
Except there is no gap. Go read the PS4 forums, people haven't been playing them much in the last 6+ months because of the dry spell in exclusives, it's all just the multiplatform games right now. The "gap" is all in peoples' heads. And what so many people don't seem to realize is just how much MS is pushing for a unified environment. There's literally no reason for them to NOT put XBO titles on PC, and even the head of Xbox has come out publicly in interviews saying that's exactly what he wants, including letting 360 games run on PC.

Halo 5 as a Hail Mary? To what? They don't need one.
There is a huge gap and it is not in people's heads. The PS4 has outsold the XB1 almost 2:1 with the last numbers being around 23.2 million to 12.8 million. How that is in someone's head? What does going to a PS4 forum and reading have to do with anything? These are verifiable sales numbers. It is so bad that MS is no longer releasing their sales numbers anymore. Halo and Tomb Raider are the two exclusives MS is hoping to propel hardware sales during the holiday buying season. The Windows 10 dashboard is further damage control because the current dashboard has not been well received. The fact they didn't release Halo 5 on the PC proves your theory false. Unified environments comes secondary to profits. Had the XB1 sold as they had anticipated there would be more unification. It didn't and therefore their isn't. MS anticipated winning this round and thought they would inflict further damage by releasing titles on the PC too. Well, it didn't play out that way for them.

I am not anti-MS as I own both consoles. In fact, I have owned every one since the original Xbox in 2001 and the PS1 in 1995.
stitch1 likes this.

AVP - Trinnov Alt16
Speakers - JBL M2 (3), JBL 708p (4), JBL 705i (4)
Subs - (2) Deep Sea Sound 24" & (2) Dual Stereo Integrity 18"
Video - Sony 55es
Screen - Seymour 127" A/T 16:9
post #238 of 332 Old 11-01-2015, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
There is a huge gap and it is not in people's heads. The PS4 has outsold the XB1 almost 2:1 with the last numbers being around 23.2 million to 12.8 million. How that is in someone's head? What does going to a PS4 forum and reading have to do with anything? These are verifiable sales numbers. It is so bad that MS is no longer releasing their sales numbers anymore. Halo and Tomb Raider are the two exclusives MS is hoping to propel hardware sales during the holiday buying season. The Windows 10 dashboard is further damage control because the current dashboard has not been well received. The fact they didn't release Halo 5 on the PC proves your theory false. Unified environments comes secondary to profits. Had the XB1 sold as they had anticipated there would be more unification. It didn't and therefore their isn't. MS anticipated winning this round and thought they would inflict further damage by releasing titles on the PC too. Well, it didn't play out that way for them.

I am not anti-MS as I own both consoles. In fact, I have owned every one since the original Xbox in 2001 and the PS1 in 1995.
As have I.

And no, sorry, it doesn't prove anything false. Because they haven't released a Halo on PC since Halo 2 for Vista. It has nothing to do with them "hoping" the sales numbers will go up. It has everything to do with them "thinking" they need to keep it on their console. WHen pretty much EVERYTHING else they're doing right now, is in the direction of a completely unified system across Xbox, Windows, and Windows Phone.

Besides, the only people who care about sales numbers? Corporate, I certainly don't. The general consumer doesn't, The majority of consumers (namely parents) are very hard-pressed to justify a console purchase for a single game. Hell, it isn't even just parents. I can name a dozen people I know that won't purchase a console for 1 game, XBO or PS4. I go where the games are that I feel like playing. And my point is, there are MILLIONS of Halo fans out there that would happily double-dip (as I said) and buy the games again, were they to be put on PC. MS has literally no reason NOT to. If they're trying to hedge their bet on 2 whopping games (3 if you count the Forza series) then they're doing it wrong. Let's also NOT forget that statistically EVERY Xbox has done poorly in terms of hardware sales outside the US. Playstation has a very rabid fanbase and it WAS out first. It's had 6 years ahead of MS getting into the console game, and MS has always been the underdog.

How has it NOT played out for them, we're literally IN the unification process right now. One or two games isn't going to drive sales. They're biggest selling point as of the 12th of this month? Backwards compat. Sure the list is 100ish to start with, but it's going to get bigger. The holiday season will see bigger numbers due to folks being able to get the new system and still play their old games.

The biggest mistake that ANYONE makes in this "war" is thinking that it has to be a "war". It's about the games, not the hardware. Both companies LOSE money on the hardware. Were MS to actually tap into the PC gaming market with their first party titles, they'd actually make a crap ton more money. They're not losing a hardware sale to someone who buys the game on PC, they're GAINING a game sale, and when the developer is owned by MS and the game is published by MS... Who makes the nice pile of cash? MS.

My point is they're thinking too small, and not opening up to the market that would LOVE to have their games on PC. And don't even start with piracy, that hasn't been a valid argument for the last decade, as much as people like to claim it is. You can't lose a sale if the person was never going to buy it in the first place.

I have a couple dozen games on XBO, a handful on WiiU, a handful on PS4, close to 100 on 360, I didn't buy a PS3. And yet I have nearly 1,500 games on PC, all legitimately bought and paid for, thousands of dollars in games. Plenty of which I've bought on consoles too. And contrary to popular belief, I'm not in the tiny minority. If MS came out today and said $60 to $100 for the Master Chief Collection on PC, I wouldn't be able to pay them fast enough.

Hardware sales honestly mean NOTHING when the company loses money on each system. NO ONE makes money on the systems, not even the retailers, I've worked retail plenty of times, the systems are sold at cost, everything else is where the money is made. So take those first party titles, put them on PC, and get more cash-flow, simple as that.
tampabuc, barrelbelly and Epyon415 like this.

Last edited by Marafice Eye; 11-01-2015 at 07:19 PM.
post #239 of 332 Old 11-01-2015, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Really, can you pollute the thread any further with sales talk?

Xbox One is doing well. Not as well as PS4 but not as far apart as gamers think especially if you think in terms of revenue and dollars.

So PS4 is near $2 billion. And Xbox One is near $1.8 billion. Whoodeedooo...

Plenty of money to go around. And Xbox One gamers have plenty of great games to boot. Arguably a better game library. The job of a business is to make your customers happy and to make money. Microsoft has done both. So forget this stupid nonsense.

And this generation (not factoring in development costs because it's still being recouped but was minimal compared to previous generations), all consoles are making money. You can look at the specs to know all the consoles are break even or making money.
TonyDP and Bailey151 like this.

Last edited by onlysublime; 11-01-2015 at 07:40 PM.
post #240 of 332 Old 11-01-2015, 11:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So I go to the local grocery store to pick up the hot pockets. Didn't know I had to get the 12-pack to get the Halo 5 stuff. Also, my store only had the garlic crust pepperoni with Halo 5. The regular pepperoni packs and the ham and cheese packs were pre-Halo 5. Will probably drop by another local store. Really wanted the non-garlic stuff.

The code is so hard to find inside the box! It's a really faint red text.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page