Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #1 of 49 Old 01-27-2015, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Dying Light?

Anyone brave enough to offer (pay up) 1st impressions?

Unopened game in hand. No reviews thanks to "late arriving" review copies on all of the major gaming sites apparently - VERY suspect. Destiny anyone?

I hope it's better than Dead Rising which I just could not get into due to so many other great games at the time. Is this one any better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 01-27-2015, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I liked Dead Rising but quickly got bored with it. (as with Destiny). Personally, I'm staying off till this hits the bargain bin. I know it's not for me. I reckon maybe a 8/10 across the board.

I do like the GFX though. It came down to this or Dragon Age for me ...gonna go with DA cos I prefer depth for single player games.
tampabuc likes this.

"There are 1 0 kinds of people in this world...one that can read binary while the other that can't!!"
My small HT setup:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
post #3 of 49 Old 01-27-2015, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Man, that sucks. I found some decent 1st impressions online but not convinced yet.

I hope this is not another punch in the face example of why not to pre-order games and/or go digital.

WARNING: The game is only worth $30 on trade in already, vs. the usual $45 for current gen. Not a good sign.

Edit: Trade in value for X1 & PS4 ($23/29):
http://www.gamestop.com/trade/quote/...g-light/111375

Last edited by tampabuc; 01-27-2015 at 03:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 Old 01-27-2015, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked: 1524
I like it, although I got it for PS4, it's much better than dead rising (which I was bored of in a half hour)
The parkour is pretty fun, the combat is good, controls are good and the graphics are really good, the world looks awesome.
There are things to find freaking everywhere, you can go in most houses etc. It's got the weapon type stuff as dead rising and dead island a bit but the game has a much better feel to it. It's got a few things that are wierd, the jumping can be a bit wired since you have to be looking at what you want to jump and some other small things but overall, I'd give it a solid 7.5 out of 10 (which IMO is pretty darn good)

I'm happy with the purchase!
tampabuc and freemeat like this.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #5 of 49 Old 01-27-2015, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
I like it, although I got it for PS4, it's much better than dead rising (which I was bored of in a half hour)
The parkour is pretty fun, the combat is good, controls are good and the graphics are really good, the world looks awesome.
There are things to find freaking everywhere, you can go in most houses etc. It's got the weapon type stuff as dead rising and dead island a bit but the game has a much better feel to it. It's got a few things that are wierd, the jumping can be a bit wired since you have to be looking at what you want to jump and some other small things but overall, I'd give it a solid 7.5 out of 10 (which IMO is pretty darn good)

I'm happy with the purchase!
+1
post #6 of 49 Old 01-27-2015, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks N8DOGG, I don't mean to count the game out so quickly but it's been a long time since the must have fall-winter game cycle.

I have never purchased so many games at one time - most good, some bad. Quite hesitant now...

This is the 1st true next-gen game to come along in 2015.
Sounds like this one may be worth it despite the potential financial loss.

Last edited by tampabuc; 01-27-2015 at 04:20 PM.
post #7 of 49 Old 01-27-2015, 11:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 369
This would be the perfect game to rent from Redbox for an evening. See if it's really your type of game.

Unfortunately, no Redbox within 200 miles of me rents PS4 or XB1 games, so I'm out of luck.
post #8 of 49 Old 01-28-2015, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 628
I grabbed this on PS4 (thanks to freemeat here at AVS I got in on the Gamestop season pass sale glitch). Played for a couple hours and it's a blast so far. The parkour adds a fresh twist to an otherwise overplayed genre. Graphically it's one of the nicest looking games I've seen in a while. The controls take some getting used to, but combat isn't as sluggish as I expected it to be.

Overall, I think it's decent and would probably give it a a solid 8/10 based on what I've played so far.
freemeat likes this.
post #9 of 49 Old 01-29-2015, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 31
ugh.

Maybe its due to the 25 years of gaming ive done or that im getting more busy, but I just dont have interest to play anything thats not an legitimate 9/10 or 10/10 unless it hits a sweet spot of game type.

I think ill have to pass on this one. Reviews are meh.
post #10 of 49 Old 01-29-2015, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You're missing out on a lot of good games that way, though. I don't play certain genres of games simply because I don't like them, but everything else is fair game.
post #11 of 49 Old 01-29-2015, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 369
I'm missing out on a ton of good games, because I can't rent them anywhere. I'm sure there would be certain games I would try via rental, and then feel compelled to try to buy it right away.

However, I only have so much free time, and end up with too many unplayed games, that I try to be picky and only buy a few games here and there. So I understand the concept of missing out on games. You can't get all of them, and even if you could, you wouldn't have time to play them all, there isn't enough hours in the day.

Having said that, there are tons of games I would love to "sample", if only I could rent them locally in a convenient manner. I can't wait till Redbox gets with the program.
post #12 of 49 Old 01-29-2015, 09:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
Overall, I think it's decent and would probably give it a a solid 8/10 based on what I've played so far.
kind of weird scoring system if decent = 8/10
post #13 of 49 Old 01-29-2015, 11:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You're missing out on a lot of good games that way, though. I don't play certain genres of games simply because I don't like them, but everything else is fair game.
You're probably right. Mind you if there is literally nothing else to play I guess I'll stray I.e. Im playing far cry

I'll be done soon and I have no idea what to try next.
post #14 of 49 Old 01-30-2015, 01:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
Having said that, there are tons of games I would love to "sample", if only I could rent them locally in a convenient manner. I can't wait till Redbox gets with the program.
You'll likely be waiting a while. What is strange is that the Redbox's in my area all rent PS4 and One games, and I don't live in a busy city. It's doubtful I'm in a test market area.

I'd be surprised if Redbox even offers games in a year or so, though. They seem to be phasing out new release titles and studios are preventing them from renting certain new release Blurays. All that on top of raising prices isn't doing them any favors.

But back to Dying Light, played coop with a friend tonight and it was a blast! We actually made it through our first night without sleeping. It was a bit tense but worth it for the XP bonus. Also, bass heads will love this game!

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
post #15 of 49 Old 01-30-2015, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked: 858
I agree about having a lot of good games in my queue already. I'll wait till this gets cheaper. I still want to play far cry 4 as well and resident evil and assassins creed and call of duty...

Sigh. Just not enough time. Haha
tampabuc likes this.
post #16 of 49 Old 01-30-2015, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Digital Foundry Performance Analysis: Dying Light

Seems that the PS4 version lacks anisotropic filtering (why? No one knows...) and has a few issues resolving fine lines in the distance (such as phone lines and cranes), while the XBOX One version suffers from screen tearing and a lower framerate under load and also runs around 1536x1080. Hopefully they can improve performance with a patch on both consoles.

It's puzzling why so many PS4 games that are multi-platform have no anisotropic filtering. I will say, as much as I wish the One could hit native 1920x1080, I prefer the look of cutting the horizontal resolution instead of the vertical resolution, especially for a game like this. It looks far better to my eyes than cutting vertical resolution.

post #17 of 49 Old 01-30-2015, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post
kind of weird scoring system if decent = 8/10
I make my own scoring system up for every game.

post #18 of 49 Old 01-30-2015, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
I'm missing out on a ton of good games, because I can't rent them anywhere. I'm sure there would be certain games I would try via rental, and then feel compelled to try to buy it right away.

However, I only have so much free time, and end up with too many unplayed games, that I try to be picky and only buy a few games here and there. So I understand the concept of missing out on games. You can't get all of them, and even if you could, you wouldn't have time to play them all, there isn't enough hours in the day.

Would Gamely be an option for you. I've never used it, but see it advertised a lot.
post #19 of 49 Old 02-03-2015, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

I returned my copy of Dying Light but kept the $10 gift card for "groceries" which in English translates to craft beer.

Since then, I have been itching to play this one bad. Especially after the latest reviews. Thanks guys.

We desperately need a retailer to step up and offer the almost always guaranteed $40 new game purchase promo right now. Maybe by Sunday... trade in is still $29 which would equal a $11 long term rental. Not great, but that will work if not.
post #20 of 49 Old 02-04-2015, 05:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Don't you have GCU from Best Buy? At $48, it's a no brainer. Tons of fun to be had. The issued a patch today to fix some coop issues and got rid of the weapon dupe glitch.

I say just buy it.
tampabuc likes this.

post #21 of 49 Old 02-04-2015, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I was watching a kid play on his PC via twitch and he was raging hard cause the game kept lagging terribly on him. He was getting so pissed it was hilarious!

Hopefully the consoles don't have this issue.

Mike

xbox/psn: duke63031
post #22 of 49 Old 02-04-2015, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I've been playing the game off and on for about a week now and I really like it. If you like FP open world games and killing lots of zombies, you'll enjoy it. It's a very polished and improved Dead Island. Great graphics too.

Essentially it devolves into a repetitive fetch-quest, but it's still fun using parkour around the city and finding unique ways to kill the zombies. Difficulty spikes up when the sun goes down and the night zombies come out to play, gets pretty intense and scary. Good stuff!

I would definitely recommend grabbing this once it hits a sale of $29 or less.
tampabuc likes this.

Sony 75" X900e 4K HDR TV
Samsung 65" KS8000 4K HDR TV
Samsung HT-E5400 5.1 Smart HTS
X1X GT: JonnyRingo619
PS4 Pro GT: Ringo619
post #23 of 49 Old 02-04-2015, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Don't you have GCU from Best Buy? At $48, it's a no brainer. Tons of fun to be had. The issued a patch today to fix some coop issues and got rid of the weapon dupe glitch.

I say just buy it.
There is still a way to dupe!

This game wasn't even on my radar until I saw the Gamestop glitch. I am very surprised at how much I like it. I tried Dead Island riptide and hated it. I love how you can do co-op on all the campaign stuff. Big Brad and I have been doing 2 player co-op but it might even be 4 player. In short, traversing is really well done and the combat has is fun (who doesn't like rag doll physics with bodies flying 30 feet at times?). I do find it isn't very tense during the day, but I am also still very early in the game. I also don't like climbing radio towers, did enough of that in Far Cry 3.

tampabuc likes this.
post #24 of 49 Old 02-05-2015, 03:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I saw that, but don't think I will use it. I already have $30k and am starting to get better weapons with higher repair levels. They also seemed to have fixed the coop issues as I'm now seeing a lot more people come into my game when I set it to public. It does seem very connection dependent as it became a laggy mess when a third person joined. I ended up booting him after a minute which returned everything to normal, and another person jumped in about 2 minutes later and there was no lag to speak of. Maybe the one dude was on dial-up or satellite haha.

I will say, if you are thinking of getting Dead Island 2, I'd skip it and just get Dying Light instead. I couldn't imagine playing Dead Island 2 after experiencing Dying Light.
tampabuc likes this.

post #25 of 49 Old 02-06-2015, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

I caved in and have since been enjoying that new game smell... but...

Damn this game is hard!

I got stuck several times already and this one is too closely related to the go find *****, pull off impossible jumps, plus inventory management nightmare of Far Cry 4/3.

Not sure I like it yet.
post #26 of 49 Old 02-07-2015, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabuc View Post
I caved in and have since been enjoying that new game smell... but...

Damn this game is hard!

I got stuck several times already and this one is too closely related to the go find *****, pull off impossible jumps, plus inventory management nightmare of Far Cry 4/3.

Not sure I like it yet.
Glad you caved, I think after you get more time in and rank up your skill trees you may find that the fun greatly increases, especially when hooking up with others for co-op. I agree there are many similarities to Far Cry 4 in game/story structure but overall I am having more fun with DL than I ever did in Far Cry and I had a blast in Far Cry. The jumps do seem impossible at first but trust me, you will get better and you will be a serious bad-a$$-parkour-zombie killing machine in no time at all.

Finally, a zed game done right but sad also since so many of my friends refuse to go to Destiny rehab and are missing out on this gem.
tampabuc likes this.
post #27 of 49 Old 02-07-2015, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayook View Post
Glad you caved, I think after you get more time in and rank up your skill trees you may find that the fun greatly increases, especially when hooking up with others for co-op. I agree there are many similarities to Far Cry 4 in game/story structure but overall I am having more fun with DL than I ever did in Far Cry and I had a blast in Far Cry. The jumps do seem impossible at first but trust me, you will get better and you will be a serious bad-a$$-parkour-zombie killing machine in no time at all.

Finally, a zed game done right but sad also since so many of my friends refuse to go to Destiny rehab and are missing out on this gem.
I gem?

mmm..Im not into destiny at all (because its not a good game), and i still havent taken the plunge into this game. IM playing far cry 4 right now which is "ok", but just feel like there is nothing better out there.

DL is better then FC4?
post #28 of 49 Old 02-07-2015, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post
I gem?

mmm..Im not into destiny at all (because its not a good game), and i still havent taken the plunge into this game. IM playing far cry 4 right now which is "ok", but just feel like there is nothing better out there.

DL is better then FC4?
Gem you question? You bet it is!
I was expecting Dead Island all over again and what I got was a total surprise. Yes it shares many of DI's formula but the difference is how much better it looks, plays and sounds compared to Dead Island.

But that's just my opinion.
So far DL has been more "exciting" to play than Far Cry even with all the animals that attack you randomly, (eagles...argh!). With DL I actually feel like my character's skills get better as the game progresses. There are many similarities to both these games including a DL mission that reminds me of the FC4 Shangri-La missions.

Not bashing Far Cry 4 though, that was a brilliant game too and would have been more fun if they had set it up for 4 player co-op. If anything it feels like DL is what happens after Far Cry ends since Troy Baker voice-overs the main character in each of these games.

Still on the fence? Go find a good co-op Twitch feed of this game, that is what sold me on it and I was on to the fence too.
post #29 of 49 Old 02-07-2015, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 348
This game was not on my Radar at all. I know nothing about it. How many hours are people getting out of the single player? I have zero interest in co-op or online.
post #30 of 49 Old 02-07-2015, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have about 30 hours in and am only 53% through the campaign. It's fun by yourself, obviously better with coop depending on if you play with friends or not.

And yes, this game is hard at first. Put in a few hours, unlock some skills and get some better weapons and the game really opens up. You have to avoid hordes at first. Pick your battles and don't be afraid to run away. Now, I go searching for hordes to destroy just for fun.

I'd say this is better than Far Cry by a long shot.
tampabuc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page