Red Dead Redemption 2 - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 77Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 166 Old 10-29-2018, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
player002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,242
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3934 Post(s)
Liked: 2943
Real HDR Footage of RDR2 on Xbox One X!

My set up
LG 65B7 | Samsung KS8000 |Sony 55XBR 930D |Samsung 55Q7 Samsung 60F8500 |LG Oled 55C8
LG Oled 65C8 |Samsung 65 Q9FNSamsung 55 Q8FN | Sony 65 900F |Samsung 65 NU8000
Onkyo TX-NR545 + Dolby Atmos Speakers |Xbox One X |Ps4 Pro |PS VR |Oculus Rift
AMD Ryzen 1700 + Vega 64 + Mining Rigs Samsung Galaxy S8
player002 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 166 Old 10-29-2018, 07:22 AM
Member
 
tanis38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I am absolutely loving this game running in native 4k / HDR on my OLED tv. It is just glorious.


I am also loving the game itself. The world feels so alive. I love all the random stuff the seemingly happens everywhere.


I had an amazing encounter yesterday that caught me by surprise. I was trying to make it back to camp before sundown. I was in a bayou swampy area and as the sun began setting, a fog settled in. It looked amazing, and was kinda creepy. Up ahead I noticed there was someone hanging from a tree. I ride up next to him to have a closer look. Yup, definitely lynched. I begin to contemplate if maybe I can shoot the rope and have the body come down to search it. But just then I hear some rustling from the bushes to my left and when I look over, 3 "people" are running at me. I was legit scared, because these weren't normal people. They weren't wearing shirts, they basically looked like crazed zombies and they had no weapons, they were just running at me. Cannibals? I kicked my horse into a full gallop and they kept chase. I decide to take them out so that they don't ambush another person and it was an intense fight since I stink at shooting while on horseback and they almost caught up to me a few times.


It was unexpected and totally awesome.
xpavar and BubbaMc like this.
tanis38 is offline  
post #63 of 166 Old 10-29-2018, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DaverJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 9,742
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked: 4043
Anyone else dying a lot during these random encounters? Maybe it's because I haven't got the hang of things yet, but every incident I go into, once those red blips appear on the radar, the next thing I'm looking at is the word "DEAD".

Great game. I would rate it:
  • Graphics/sound: 10/10
  • Open world tech: 10/10
  • Story/scenarios/writing/acting: 10/10
  • Gameplay: 7/10
DaverJ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 166 Old 10-29-2018, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
boltsfan21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: California
Posts: 789
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
Anyone else dying a lot during these random encounters? Maybe it's because I haven't got the hang of things yet, but every incident I go into, once those red blips appear on the radar, the next thing I'm looking at is the word "DEAD".

Great game. I would rate it:
  • Graphics/sound: 10/10
  • Open world tech: 10/10
  • Story/scenarios/writing/acting: 10/10
  • Gameplay: 7/10
I've died a lot during random encounters. When playing for hours last night, I died several times being ambushed. Both places I was ambushed, I tried to take cover behind trees, but being surrounded, that didn't help. I think things will be easier once I get the hang of using dead eye.
boltsfan21 is offline  
post #65 of 166 Old 10-29-2018, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
boltsfan21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: California
Posts: 789
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanis38 View Post
I am absolutely loving this game running in native 4k / HDR on my OLED tv. It is just glorious.


I am also loving the game itself. The world feels so alive. I love all the random stuff the seemingly happens everywhere.


I had an amazing encounter yesterday that caught me by surprise. I was trying to make it back to camp before sundown. I was in a bayou swampy area and as the sun began setting, a fog settled in. It looked amazing, and was kinda creepy. Up ahead I noticed there was someone hanging from a tree. I ride up next to him to have a closer look. Yup, definitely lynched. I begin to contemplate if maybe I can shoot the rope and have the body come down to search it. But just then I hear some rustling from the bushes to my left and when I look over, 3 "people" are running at me. I was legit scared, because these weren't normal people. They weren't wearing shirts, they basically looked like crazed zombies and they had no weapons, they were just running at me. Cannibals? I kicked my horse into a full gallop and they kept chase. I decide to take them out so that they don't ambush another person and it was an intense fight since I stink at shooting while on horseback and they almost caught up to me a few times.


It was unexpected and totally awesome.
I haven't been to the bayou area yet, but it does look pretty cool from screen shots I've seen. The world is pretty incredible. Ridding back to camp, I experienced a thunderstorm. That was really cool. You could see the dark clouds off in the distance blowing my way. Minutes later, there was a downpour with thunder and lightning. That was cool. The dynamic weather in this game is pretty awesome.
tanis38 likes this.
boltsfan21 is offline  
post #66 of 166 Old 10-29-2018, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Big Brad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Brandon, FL
Posts: 2,498
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Red Dead Redemption 2

A tip for anyone who uses stagecoaches to travel to other towns: make sure you tell your horse to follow you (hold LT while looking at him from a few feet away, then press Y) otherwise, he’ll remain somewhere around the town you left, leaving kind of stranded in the new town. I found out the hard way. Haha.

Potential spoiler below in regards to money:

Spoiler!
gooch02000 and hatlesschimp like this.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo

Last edited by Big Brad; 10-29-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Big Brad is offline  
post #67 of 166 Old 10-30-2018, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RafaelSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Orlando Fl
Posts: 3,004
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked: 641
I am having a hell of a time with aiming. Not sure what is wrong but I can't for the life of me keep the red dot remotely still...bouncing all over the place. Even in the tutorial....when having to lasso the guy...I could not do it.

Everything about this game is great......except the gameplay mechanics...they just seem very awkward and frustrating to me.
RafaelSmith is offline  
post #68 of 166 Old 10-30-2018, 06:33 AM
Member
 
icanlearn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
I am having a hell of a time with aiming. Not sure what is wrong but I can't for the life of me keep the red dot remotely still...bouncing all over the place. Even in the tutorial....when having to lasso the guy...I could not do it.

Everything about this game is great......except the gameplay mechanics...they just seem very awkward and frustrating to me.
I had a tough time with the red eye, I think it gets better over time as your character upgrades. I remember it working that way with the previous red dead game.

For everything else I find it pretty easy, it just snaps to the person closest to who you are aiming at.
icanlearn is offline  
post #69 of 166 Old 10-30-2018, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hillsborough, New Jersey
Posts: 2,514
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1664 Post(s)
Liked: 4830
Wow, this is interesting!
DaverJ and Kev Greenhalgh like this.
subacabra is online now  
post #70 of 166 Old 10-30-2018, 07:30 AM
Member
 
GmdVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Wow, this is interesting!
https://youtu.be/hJgXQ3qNg74
Digital Foundry confirmed, fake HDR from SDR. I knew something was offset when it had LCD settings lower than OLED

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...emption-2s-hdr
Kev Greenhalgh likes this.
GmdVT is offline  
post #71 of 166 Old 10-30-2018, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DaverJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 9,742
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked: 4043
The game definitely doesn't have the nice HDR color, shadow detail, and brightness "pop" seen in other games. I think I might switch to the SDR input on my TV while playing this one.
DaverJ is offline  
post #72 of 166 Old 10-30-2018, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,274
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2227 Post(s)
Liked: 2511
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Wow, this is interesting!
https://youtu.be/hJgXQ3qNg74
I watched that this morning and it makes me sad.

Guess I will switch my consoles to force SDR just for this game...
mutelight is offline  
post #73 of 166 Old 10-30-2018, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RafaelSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Orlando Fl
Posts: 3,004
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Wow, this is interesting!
https://youtu.be/hJgXQ3qNg74
That is unfortunate. But I knew something was off....at first I just blamed it on my budget TV, since I have had problems with HDR in other games. But this is clearly a dropped ball by Rockstar.

Does the PS4 Pro version of RDR2 have the same problem?

All that note...not sure if its related or not but I wanted to see RDR2 on my big screen (135 inch 1080p projector), so I moved the X into the theater room and brought the game up. Not sure what the game is doing when its running on X but @ 1080p but it is EXTREMELY washed out. Other games like FH4 look fine.

Last edited by RafaelSmith; 10-30-2018 at 09:02 AM.
RafaelSmith is offline  
post #74 of 166 Old 10-30-2018, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,274
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2227 Post(s)
Liked: 2511
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
That is unfortunate. But I knew something was off....at first I just blamed it on my budget TV, since I have had problems with HDR in other games.

Does the PS4 Pro version of RDR2 have the same problem?
Yes, HDR is fundamentally broken/missing.

Some people running the Pro version have opted to force 1080p since the 1920x2160 resolution on it causes weird scaling artifacts that bother people.
Kev Greenhalgh likes this.
mutelight is offline  
post #75 of 166 Old 10-30-2018, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RafaelSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Orlando Fl
Posts: 3,004
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked: 641
I have also had problems with UI elements being hard to read....which is one of the main reasons I thought about playing on the projector. I would prefer to play on my 4k TV which is a 55inch but with this game my seating is just too far away. Either some sorta UI scale option or at the very least....color code the button press prompts to match the desired button on the controller.

I really am struggling with the controls with the game Maybe I am just getting to old =P
RafaelSmith is offline  
post #76 of 166 Old 10-30-2018, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
boltsfan21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: California
Posts: 789
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
That is unfortunate. But I knew something was off....at first I just blamed it on my budget TV, since I have had problems with HDR in other games. But this is clearly a dropped ball by Rockstar.

Does the PS4 Pro version of RDR2 have the same problem?

All that note...not sure if its related or not but I wanted to see RDR2 on my big screen (135 inch 1080p projector), so I moved the X into the theater room and brought the game up. Not sure what the game is doing when its running on X but @ 1080p but it is EXTREMELY washed out. Other games like FH4 look fine.
Yes. I'm playing the game on the PS4 Pro. The game looks better with HDR turned off. With HDR on, everything looks soft to somewhat slightly blurry to me. I've played the game on the X1X as well and the HDR doesn't look good at all. Unfortunately Rockstar dropped the ball on this. When you compare HDR on RDR2 to other games like God of War, Assassin's Creed, etc, HDR looks awful really. Hopefully this will get fixed in an update.
boltsfan21 is offline  
post #77 of 166 Old 10-30-2018, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,274
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2227 Post(s)
Liked: 2511
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfan21 View Post
Yes. I'm playing the game on the PS4 Pro. The game looks better with HDR turned off. With HDR on, everything looks soft to somewhat slightly blurry to me. I've played the game on the X1X as well and the HDR doesn't look good at all. Unfortunately Rockstar dropped the ball on this. When you compare HDR on RDR2 to other games like God of War, Assassin's Creed, etc, HDR looks awful really. Hopefully this will get fixed in an update.
Having HDR enabled should not make things more blurry, it will only make things look dim and/or washed out as far as contrast and color. The PS4 Pro is running at 1920x2160 so perhaps you are seeing the blurriness due to the image being stretch horizontally.

As far as comparing RDR2 to true HDR games, yes, it is really no contest because they are actually displaying HDR whereas RDR2 is a 8-bit SDR image rattling around in a HDR container.
mutelight is offline  
post #78 of 166 Old 10-30-2018, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Big Brad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Brandon, FL
Posts: 2,498
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
The game definitely doesn't have the nice HDR color, shadow detail, and brightness "pop" seen in other games. I think I might switch to the SDR input on my TV while playing this one.

I’m definitely doing that on my Vizio P65. Thankfully my receiver has 2 video outs so I can take advantage of the low latency port. I typically don’t have an issue with lag, but since this game is already very “weighty” it will probably control a bit better switching over.

Pretty sad though. Sounds like HDR was merely an afterthought here.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
Big Brad is offline  
post #79 of 166 Old 10-31-2018, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Big Brad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Brandon, FL
Posts: 2,498
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Anyone else fan on their One X kicking into high gear at times with this game? Honestly I think it’s the first time I’ve ever heard the fan from it. Just curious.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
Big Brad is offline  
post #80 of 166 Old 10-31-2018, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Big Brad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Brandon, FL
Posts: 2,498
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfan21 View Post
Yes. I'm playing the game on the PS4 Pro. The game looks better with HDR turned off. With HDR on, everything looks soft to somewhat slightly blurry to me. I've played the game on the X1X as well and the HDR doesn't look good at all. Unfortunately Rockstar dropped the ball on this. When you compare HDR on RDR2 to other games like God of War, Assassin's Creed, etc, HDR looks awful really. Hopefully this will get fixed in an update.

As mutelight mentioned, the softness is probably down to the 1920x2160 resolution on the Pro, although their checkerboard technique seems to cause some unnecessary artifacts that could be attributed to it looking softer.

In watching the Digital Foundry comparisons, something immediately seems amiss on the Pro version. It looks softer than it should. Having recently played through the Spider-Man DLC, it’s a shame that Rockstar couldn’t get it looking its best on that platform by day one. Hopefully the issue will be addressed.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
Big Brad is offline  
post #81 of 166 Old 10-31-2018, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DaverJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 9,742
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked: 4043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
Anyone else fan on their One X kicking into high gear at times with this game? Honestly I think it’s the first time I’ve ever heard the fan from it. Just curious.
Noticed the same thing last night.

Side note: playing in SDR (Vizio P-series input 5) looks better to me than playing w/ HDR enabled.
DaverJ is offline  
post #82 of 166 Old 10-31-2018, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Big Brad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Brandon, FL
Posts: 2,498
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
Noticed the same thing last night.



Side note: playing in SDR (Vizio P-series input 5) looks better to me than playing w/ HDR enabled.

I’ve switched to SDR and noticed the same thing. The game looks noticeably better with it off. Colors don’t really pop outside of a few instances, but the increase in vibrancy and contrast lend to an image that appears a bit sharper and more defined. That and the reduction in input lag (16ms in SDR vs. 48ms in HDR) make the experience a whole lot better.
Kev Greenhalgh likes this.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
Big Brad is offline  
post #83 of 166 Old 10-31-2018, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
boltsfan21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: California
Posts: 789
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
As mutelight mentioned, the softness is probably down to the 1920x2160 resolution on the Pro, although their checkerboard technique seems to cause some unnecessary artifacts that could be attributed to it looking softer.

In watching the Digital Foundry comparisons, something immediately seems amiss on the Pro version. It looks softer than it should. Having recently played through the Spider-Man DLC, it’s a shame that Rockstar couldn’t get it looking its best on that platform by day one. Hopefully the issue will be addressed.
I think you may be right. I see a lot of people complaining at how soft the game looks on the Pro. Something is definitively off. When you look at other games such as God of War, Spider-Man, etc the checkerboard technique looks fine. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.
boltsfan21 is offline  
post #84 of 166 Old 10-31-2018, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
rolldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 868
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojoman View Post
Bestbuy delivered the game one day early played a few hours yesterday. Just wondering how many people are playing this game in HDR with Luminance turned up all the way? The game suggests 100 for LCD and 300 for OLED but I find 100 too dim for my TV.
Mine is set on 350, but I’m using a projector with a 155” scope screen. I just wish there was a way to adjust the image so the “Cinematic” mode filled my entire screen without cutting the HUD in half when it switches back to 16:9.

JVC RS4500K, Paladin DCR, Lumagen Radiance Pro, LG OLED W7, OLED E7, OLED C6, Sony A1E, Samsung QLED Q9F, QLED Q7F, Vizio P75c1, Marantz AV8805, Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3, Integra DRC-R1, Anthem MRX 720, Oppo 203, Sunfire TGA-7401, Outlaw 5000, Triad Silver 7.1.4 Atmos setup, SVS PB16 Ultra, PSA 3601,SVS PB-13 Ultra, 31 Sonance VP88R, 6x6 Control4 4K HDR AV matrix, Control4 8 Zone AMP, Control4 EA-5, Control4 EA-1, QNAP TVS-882 & TS-451+
rolldog is offline  
post #85 of 166 Old 10-31-2018, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Big Brad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Brandon, FL
Posts: 2,498
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolldog View Post
Mine is set on 350, but I’m using a projector with a 155” scope screen. I just wish there was a way to adjust the image so the “Cinematic” mode filled my entire screen without cutting the HUD in half when it switches back to 16:9.

It’s been confirmed that the HDR is faked, meaning it is SDR in an HDR “container” so to speak. You’re better off disabling HDR since you gain absolutely zero benefit, unless you count washing out the picture a benefit. Haha.
Kev Greenhalgh likes this.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
Big Brad is offline  
post #86 of 166 Old 10-31-2018, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
rolldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 868
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
It’s been confirmed that the HDR is faked, meaning it is SDR in an HDR “container” so to speak. You’re better off disabling HDR since you gain absolutely zero benefit, unless you count washing out the picture a benefit. Haha.
Mine looks good, but that might have something to do with my JVC RS4500K with a Paladin DCR lens and a Lumagen Radiance Pro doing my video processing and tone mapping.

But, I can still tell that Assassin’s Creed Odyssey has a much better dynamic range. You could tell this from the beginning when dialing in HDR. Assassin’s Creed Odyssey allows you to adjust the Luminance and the White Balance, where in RDR2, you only have one setting for HDR.

JVC RS4500K, Paladin DCR, Lumagen Radiance Pro, LG OLED W7, OLED E7, OLED C6, Sony A1E, Samsung QLED Q9F, QLED Q7F, Vizio P75c1, Marantz AV8805, Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3, Integra DRC-R1, Anthem MRX 720, Oppo 203, Sunfire TGA-7401, Outlaw 5000, Triad Silver 7.1.4 Atmos setup, SVS PB16 Ultra, PSA 3601,SVS PB-13 Ultra, 31 Sonance VP88R, 6x6 Control4 4K HDR AV matrix, Control4 8 Zone AMP, Control4 EA-5, Control4 EA-1, QNAP TVS-882 & TS-451+

Last edited by rolldog; 10-31-2018 at 10:27 AM.
rolldog is offline  
post #87 of 166 Old 10-31-2018, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,274
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2227 Post(s)
Liked: 2511
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolldog View Post
Mine looks good, but that might have something to do with my JVC RS4500K with a Paladin DCR lens and a Lumagen Radiance Pro doing my video processing and tone mapping.

But, I can still tell that Assassin’s Creed Odyssey has a much better dynamic range. You could tell this from the beginning when dialing in HDR. Assassin’s Creed Odyssey allows you to adjust the Luminance and the White Balance, where in RDR2, you only have one setting for HDR.
It looks fine on my A1E and Z9D while playing but it looks much better with HDR disabled at a system level since the game is only 8-bit SDR in a HDR container, so it only negatively impacts image quality.

With the slider at 350, you are basically sliding the small SDR range higher within that container, elevating the blacks but gaining some peak luminance. Alternatively, if you set it lower, you lose the highlights and get a dimmer image but gain better black levels since you aren't raising the black level floor.
Kev Greenhalgh likes this.
mutelight is offline  
post #88 of 166 Old 10-31-2018, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kenshiro 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the Singularity of a Black Hole
Posts: 1,305
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 1361

XBOX LIVE - Kenshiro 26
PSN | Origin - Kenshiro26
Steam | Uplay - Kenshiro_26
Battle.net - Kenshiro26#1462
Kenshiro 26 is offline  
post #89 of 166 Old 10-31-2018, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RafaelSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Orlando Fl
Posts: 3,004
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked: 641
I turned HDR off on my XBox One X with TCL P605 and game looks much better.
Kev Greenhalgh likes this.
RafaelSmith is offline  
post #90 of 166 Old 10-31-2018, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
rolldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 868
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
It looks fine on my A1E and Z9D while playing but it looks much better with HDR disabled at a system level since the game is only 8-bit SDR in a HDR container, so it only negatively impacts image quality.

With the slider at 350, you are basically sliding the small SDR range higher within that container, elevating the blacks but gaining some peak luminance. Alternatively, if you set it lower, you lose the highlights and get a dimmer image but gain better black levels since you aren't raising the black level floor.
I'll give it a try just for comparison purposes, but like I said, I'm running all of my video through a Lumagen Radiance Pro, which has its own CMS 3D LUT and does all the tone mapping and color mapping to an HDR BT.2020 color profile. It can convert an SDR signal to an HDR signal, and my Paladin DCR anamorphic lens on my JVC RS4500K increases the brightness and contrast an additional 40%. However, I'll give it a shot. With a 155" screen, maybe I'll see a difference.

JVC RS4500K, Paladin DCR, Lumagen Radiance Pro, LG OLED W7, OLED E7, OLED C6, Sony A1E, Samsung QLED Q9F, QLED Q7F, Vizio P75c1, Marantz AV8805, Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3, Integra DRC-R1, Anthem MRX 720, Oppo 203, Sunfire TGA-7401, Outlaw 5000, Triad Silver 7.1.4 Atmos setup, SVS PB16 Ultra, PSA 3601,SVS PB-13 Ultra, 31 Sonance VP88R, 6x6 Control4 4K HDR AV matrix, Control4 8 Zone AMP, Control4 EA-5, Control4 EA-1, QNAP TVS-882 & TS-451+
rolldog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Xbox Area

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off