Red Dead Redemption 2 - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 77Likes

post #121 of 169 Old 11-02-2018, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Here's the box you un-tick.

XBOX LIVE - Kenshiro 26
PSN | Origin - Kenshiro26
Steam | Uplay - Kenshiro_26
Battle.net - Kenshiro26#1462
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 169 Old 11-02-2018, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshiro 26 View Post
Here's the box you un-tick.

Thank you!!!
post #123 of 169 Old 11-02-2018, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked: 2532
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwock5 View Post
There has to be something more behind this.
The fact that SONY backed this game so much that they make a PS4 Pro bundle out of it (to specifically utilize the PS4 Pro hardware) and the fact that the game doesn't really utilize anything the Pro offers over the standard, makes SONY look like fools as well.
I'd imagine Sony execs would be all over this to remedy the situation as well.

In the "console" battle, to not have an exclusive, and to create a bundle like this to sway people to use the PS4 over the Xbox (even though both have bad HDR), and to have the PS4 pro not even have a matched / higher resolution, means anyone who didn't pre-order the system bundle and read about this issue will 100% go the Xbox route instead.

If i was a Sony exec, the first mention of something like this would be a visit to R* headquarters for immediate resolution.

My guess is that they had true HDR implementation for both xbox and ps4 and matched resolution on PS4 pro with Xbox One X, but due to performance issues and running out of time (and the headlines regarding crunching) left R* with no choice but to temporarily disable true HDR and lower the rez in PS4 to get it out the door with the hope of resolving the issues post-launch with a longer time-table.

I can't imagine another scenario. They had to make a call to delay it extremely last minute or get it out and update it through future patches.

I for one have the game installed, but i'm holding off on playing until these are resolved. I have Spiderman I can finish anyway in the meantime. But i want the full experience when I start.
Interesting theory but the reality is that Sony just sent a bunch of money to R* to use their platform to promote the game and they get the DLC first.

The Xbox One X is ~40% than the Pro which is why it runs native 4K over PS4 Pro's 1920x2160. It is clear that they tacked on "HDR" and doing true HDR has only a couple FPS performance tax at max.

The game is simply stunning, even in SDR.
tanis38 and Kev Greenhalgh like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 169 Old 11-04-2018, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
In my opinion Red looks and plays better in SDR. At least for now...
post #125 of 169 Old 11-05-2018, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
The game is simply stunning, even in SDR.

Been scratching my head reading all the complaints. I have a regular PS4 and play it on a Samsung 4K screen and the game looks amazing. The visuals look great but what really makes it stand out is the detail. It looks and feels real. I am about 30% in and have to say already that this is the best game by MILES that I have ever played. I loved the last Red Dead, this one makes that look like a side scroller.
post #126 of 169 Old 11-05-2018, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Anyone have issues with the sound? I had it set to bit stream because I have Atmos speakers, but I kept getting sound clipping during the cinematic scenes. Basically the audio seemed choppy and parts of it seemed missing. I switched to 5.1 uncompressed and this seemed to solve the issue completely.

Denon X4300H; Sony XBR75 900E; Definitive Technology RLS-II/DI 5.5LCR/DI 5.5R; NHT SW12
post #127 of 169 Old 11-05-2018, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 62
So I found something really...interesting, weird and cool tucked away in the world. It's a hidden puzzle room.

But it's REALLY freak'n cool!! Click at your own discretion though!!

JudgeSmails likes this.

I Eat Games | Twitter[/B][/CENTER]
post #128 of 169 Old 11-05-2018, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Still in Chapter 2. But 20% completion as per save game status. Focused mainly on all Yellow primary missions in cities and around camp. I am also doing any Strangers I come across and some of the minor side missions that crop up. Thoughts to date:

Pros
Game is beautiful. No issues with graphics or sound on my end at all. Running on a S. Fluidity is amazing. No load screens or breaks between cities and open land, etc.
Game is huge. I'm continually finding new cities, areas to explore, etc.
Missions are long, and often slow, but very cinematic. It really is like playing an interactive Western movie in many ways when you do primary missions. I like it, it's different and extremely well written and acted. But it could be a turn off to some or even many.
I like the flexibility in how you handle situations. For example, a guy tried to sell me a treasure map. I could have paid him $10 or just walked away. Instead I threatened him. He laughed it off. I threatened again. He freaked and said take it! and gave me the map. Saved me $10, nice.

Cons
Inventory is very clunky. Both on and off horse. Even after many hours still not getting easy hang of it. Confusing as to where things are, what they do, how they are used, etc.
Typical Rockstar Janky Movement. No better or worse than GTA. I really don't get how Rockstar can't get movement right or smooth.
Bounties are annoying and too easily triggered. O'Driscoll's threatened and shoot at me and my horse. So I defend myself and kill them. Random passerby charges me with murder and I get socked with a bounty.

For those playing, is there any value at all in modding weapons or crafting? Weapon mods seem cosmetic in nature on things that are awfully small. And crafting seems like just slight food buffs.
DaverJ and Kev Greenhalgh like this.

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
post #129 of 169 Old 11-05-2018, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
I understand you have video processing but to put it plainly, it will throw all of it off because the game is causing the Xbox to do the exact opposite of what your equipment is designed for.

The game title is doing the SDR to HDR conversion and your gear is just seeing a neutered HDR signal with a SDR source rattling around in its container. If anything the game is causing your gear to skip processing since the software is making up fake HDR.
It makes zero difference in my system. Like I mentioned, my Lumagen provides HDR Tone Mapping to Rec2020 and HDR Intensity Mapping making SDR content into HDR content.

JVC RS4500K, Paladin DCR, Lumagen Radiance Pro, LG OLED W7, OLED E7, OLED C6, Sony A1E, Samsung QLED Q9F, QLED Q7F, Vizio P75c1, Marantz AV8805, Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3, Integra DRC-R1, Anthem MRX 720, Oppo 203, Sunfire TGA-7401, Outlaw 5000, Triad Silver 7.1.4 Atmos setup, SVS PB16 Ultra, PSA 3601,SVS PB-13 Ultra, 31 Sonance VP88R, 6x6 Control4 4K HDR AV matrix, Control4 8 Zone AMP, Control4 EA-5, Control4 EA-1, QNAP TVS-882 & TS-451+
post #130 of 169 Old 11-11-2018, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I love this world. Just riding around, exploring, and seeing things in motion. I was at work the other day and wanted to just see it--no missions, no combat, no hunting, no skinning--just a ride through the game world.

Might be fun to set it up in the background at a party, or for white noise doing homework (instead of a radio). Who knows, maybe this is just a lame idea. :P

I Eat Games | Twitter[/B][/CENTER]
post #131 of 169 Old 11-12-2018, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is it possible to start the story over without losing where I am at? I want to be able to have 2 people play the game and have their own stories. I am well into it and do not want to lose what I have done.
post #132 of 169 Old 11-13-2018, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Ok going to make this brief. Game is gorgeous but slow and clunky. With that said it is still fun to play, but nowhere near a 10 for scores that I have been seeing. Also It's the only game that I have played where it has my my Xbox X run the fans so damn high and long when I play and constantly! It makes sound like my PS4 which sounds like a jet engine at times!

Now on Monday I got the 1811 Beta update and just checked out RDR2 last night. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the fans are now running back at normal and the X is back to being quiet again. So hopefully if others of you are having loudness issues with your system and this game the next update should fix that.
DaverJ likes this.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #133 of 169 Old 11-13-2018, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
Ok going to make this brief. Game is gorgeous but slow and clunky. With that said it is still fun to play, but nowhere near a 10 for scores that I have been seeing. Also It's the only game that I have played where it has my my Xbox X run the fans so damn high and long when I play and constantly! It makes sound like my PS4 which sounds like a jet engine at times!

Now on Monday I got the 1811 Beta update and just checked out RDR2 last night. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the fans are now running back at normal and the X is back to being quiet again. So hopefully if others of you are having loudness issues with your system and this game the next update should fix that.
Pretty much my thoughts exactly. The combat and movement controls...and just about everything having to do with inventory, picking up things are very clunky. They really need to hire people that know how to design controls and character movement.

I give it a 7 or 8.

I switched to just doing story related missions to get it over with....all the mundane chore stuff while kinda interesting at first got old fast.

Its interesting that my experience with RDR2 is almost exactly matching my experience with RDR1....Was all in at first then quickly get bored. Had similar experience with GTA5, so it pretty much tells me that Rockstar games are just not my thing.
post #134 of 169 Old 11-13-2018, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icanlearn View Post
Is it possible to start the story over without losing where I am at? I want to be able to have 2 people play the game and have their own stories. I am well into it and do not want to lose what I have done.
Have them create their own Xbox profile on that system?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #135 of 169 Old 11-16-2018, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Red Dead Redemption 2

I ended up putting some tips and tricks for Red Dead 2 into video form. If you have the time to check it out, I’d appreciate it. It’s spoiler free unless you’d prefer to find the Arabian horse on your own.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
post #136 of 169 Old 11-16-2018, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
I ended up putting some tips and tricks for Red Dead 2 into video form. If you have the time to check it out, I’d appreciate it. It’s spoiler free unless you’d prefer to find the Arabian horse on your own.

Great video, dude, great job! Liked the editing and overall production value. (I liked and subscribed.)

For the first tip, you can also go to post offices in other towns/counties to pay them off if you get in deep but your way is definitely faster.
Big Brad likes this.
post #137 of 169 Old 11-16-2018, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Great video, dude, great job! Liked the editing and overall production value. (I liked and subscribed.)

For the first tip, you can also go to post offices in other towns/counties to pay them off if you get in deep but your way is definitely faster.

Thanks man! I appreciate it! Yeah, I try to avoid bounties but sometimes you just can’t. And sometimes I don’t feel like running. Haha.

This game is so massive I don’t think I’ll ever get to everything. There’s just so much stuff to do. I am working on some more videos. It’s something I’m doing in my spare time because I enjoy it.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
post #138 of 169 Old 11-20-2018, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
This game is absolutely stunning. Really surprised they botched the HDR. But still... wow!
post #139 of 169 Old 11-25-2018, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
Pretty much my thoughts exactly. The combat and movement controls...and just about everything having to do with inventory, picking up things are very clunky. They really need to hire people that know how to design controls and character movement.

I give it a 7 or 8.

I switched to just doing story related missions to get it over with....all the mundane chore stuff while kinda interesting at first got old fast.

Its interesting that my experience with RDR2 is almost exactly matching my experience with RDR1....Was all in at first then quickly get bored. Had similar experience with GTA5, so it pretty much tells me that Rockstar games are just not my thing.
I feel the same way, about a 7 or 8. The thing that kills me about the game is that it's open world anything goes EXCEPT like missions, which are completely paint by number have to be done a certain way. Also things like not being able to run through camp or towns doesn't really fit in either.

The missions all basically fall into the same general "so and so has a great idea to make money, they go and try and do it, things go horribly wrong, little to no money earned" over and over. Evidently the Driscoes have a gang of over 1000 by the number of them they send at you.
Arutha_conDoin likes this.

My website on game room related stuff like pinball, bubble hockey, foosball, home theater, etc.
http://gameroominfo.com/
post #140 of 169 Old 11-26-2018, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Is there any word on if they intend to fix the HDR? I bought because my gf wanted to play it but haven't started on my own. Wonder if this is in the pipe to get fixed then maybe I'll play other things. Hitman 2 is calling but I might wait to see if it goes on sale at the end of the year.

XBox: King Nuthin
post #141 of 169 Old 11-26-2018, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
Is there any word on if they intend to fix the HDR? I bought because my gf wanted to play it but haven't started on my own. Wonder if this is in the pipe to get fixed then maybe I'll play other things. Hitman 2 is calling but I might wait to see if it goes on sale at the end of the year.
Last I saw is that Rockstar acknowledged the issue and are looking into actual HDR support but there is no timeline for release.
CoreyM likes this.
post #142 of 169 Old 11-26-2018, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
Game still looks damn gorgeous with how the HDR is implemented now. Well work playing and not waiting in my opinion. Though better this and BF V I'm not going to have time for anything else on the Xbox. Elder Scrolls Online has the rest of my time on PC

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
CoreyM likes this.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #143 of 169 Old 12-13-2018, 10:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just picked up Book of Demons today. Love the concept of it and was a lot of fun so far. Between this and ESO I think I am set for PC for a bit.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/4...ook_of_Demons/

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #144 of 169 Old 04-04-2019, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 348
I just started this and thought I'd be spending another Skyrim type length of time with it when I heard how good it was, and how big the world is. I just love those types of games. But I'm struggling with this. Like, really struggling. Everything is just so bloody clunky and tedious. There's times I spend more time on my phone googling how to do ______ more than actually playing the game. The controls are awful. The main character is a complete dumb___ and there's times I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to be doing. And what's with the save game nonsense? I start a mission and if I don't finish the mission and turn it off I gotta start over? I'm about 12% in and I have no desire to go any further. Is there some point where this actually gets....fun? People spend 200 hrs....feeding and brushing their horse every 5 mins and watching it poop?
DolbyVision likes this.
post #145 of 169 Old 04-11-2019, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
I just started this and thought I'd be spending another Skyrim type length of time with it when I heard how good it was, and how big the world is. I just love those types of games. But I'm struggling with this. Like, really struggling. Everything is just so bloody clunky and tedious. There's times I spend more time on my phone googling how to do ______ more than actually playing the game. The controls are awful. The main character is a complete dumb___ and there's times I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to be doing. And what's with the save game nonsense? I start a mission and if I don't finish the mission and turn it off I gotta start over? I'm about 12% in and I have no desire to go any further. Is there some point where this actually gets....fun? People spend 200 hrs....feeding and brushing their horse every 5 mins and watching it poop?
It really never gets any better honestly. The story is the best part, the gameplay/missions are from the 360 era honestly. I'm still pretty shocked at how high of reviews that it got, when I listened to all of the game of the year podcasts done by real games (and not major pubs) none of them picked RDR2 and it really wasn't a favorite of anyone. User reviews aren't that high on it on metacritic. It's just a game that wants you to play it their way and that's it, fast travel, running whenever, etc are all prohibited. You literally spend 1/2 the game traveling from one place to another, bored out of your mind. The end of the game was satisfying until they got to the epilogue, that is even more boring that the rest of the game, which I didn't think was possible, lol.
JudgeSmails and newfmp3 like this.

My website on game room related stuff like pinball, bubble hockey, foosball, home theater, etc.
http://gameroominfo.com/
post #146 of 169 Old 04-11-2019, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

I dropped around 30 or so hours in and then stopped. I found exploring fun for a while but the story was so slow and the movement/travel just takes forever. Sure its pretty but that only goes so far. I'll drop back in later and maybe play some more story missions but the slog was really such a slog that I said forget it and moved on. I agree with taylor34 in that the ratings are really overblown on this game. I'd give it a solid 7. Its gorgeous and the world is huge but the pacing and story design is atrocious.
newfmp3 likes this.

post #147 of 169 Old 04-12-2019, 04:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
I dropped around 30 or so hours in and then stopped. I found exploring fun for a while but the story was so slow and the movement/travel just takes forever. Sure its pretty but that only goes so far. I'll drop back in later and maybe play some more story missions but the slog was really such a slog that I said forget it and moved on. I agree with taylor34 in that the ratings are really overblown on this game. I'd give it a solid 7. Its gorgeous and the world is huge but the pacing and story design is atrocious.

Yeah I have moved on. For me to spend money on a game and not finish it is rare. I just can't into this. I'd give it a 6/10. It's bad. Proves pretty graphics do not make a good game.
post #148 of 169 Old 05-14-2019, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1780 Post(s)
Liked: 4046
I'm currently downloading the update that fixes HDR.

Any impressions on the new patch?
post #149 of 169 Old 05-14-2019, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
I'm currently downloading the update that fixes HDR.

Any impressions on the new patch?
I haven't tested it myself but according to this guy, it is more of a bandaid but not a true HDR solution.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#e13c0491cf5c
DaverJ likes this.
post #150 of 169 Old 05-15-2019, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Really looking forward to the HDR band-aid fixing the boring on-rails main missions, slow movement, atrocious inventory management, clunky movement and useless weapons and upgrades. Oh wait...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page