Red Dead Redemption 2 - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 77Likes

post #151 of 169 Old 05-16-2019, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2096 Post(s)
Liked: 2246
Yeah the “fix” is garbage. Still looks washed out.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 169 Old 05-21-2019, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
I dropped around 30 or so hours in and then stopped. I found exploring fun for a while but the story was so slow and the movement/travel just takes forever. Sure its pretty but that only goes so far. I'll drop back in later and maybe play some more story missions but the slog was really such a slog that I said forget it and moved on. I agree with taylor34 in that the ratings are really overblown on this game. I'd give it a solid 7. Its gorgeous and the world is huge but the pacing and story design is atrocious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
Yeah I have moved on. For me to spend money on a game and not finish it is rare. I just can't into this. I'd give it a 6/10. It's bad. Proves pretty graphics do not make a good game.
I would advise you both to finish the game, the last two chapters and epilogue are incredible imo.

I finished it last week and cannot stop thinking about the world and narrative Rockstar have created here, and due to the gravity of the ending I've started a second play-through to catch things I missed in the story the first time around. As a whole this would have to be the finest game I've played, and I also nearly threw in the towel mid game. Very glad I saw it through to the end!
JudgeSmails and WRXpilot like this.

Last edited by BubbaMc; 05-21-2019 at 07:33 PM.
post #153 of 169 Old 05-22-2019, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 809
Can you switch in game between HDR/SDR or have to go to xbox settings - thxs-

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 169 Old 05-22-2019, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
GPBURNS likes this.

XBOX LIVE - Kenshiro 26
PSN | Origin - Kenshiro26
Steam | Uplay - Kenshiro_26
Battle.net - Kenshiro26#1462
post #155 of 169 Old 05-22-2019, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshiro 26 View Post
nice link - I don't have game as yet but from videos HDR looks dreadful compared to the SDR image-
anyone playing this on new JVC projectors ?

post #156 of 169 Old 05-23-2019, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post
nice link - I don't have game as yet but from videos HDR looks dreadful compared to the SDR image-
anyone playing this on new JVC projectors ?
I'm seriously considering buying a new JVC solely because of this game.

Get a copy and tell us what it's like!
GPBURNS likes this.
post #157 of 169 Old 06-03-2019, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Red Dead Redemption 2

The new “Game” HDR mode makes a world of a difference. It’s beautiful IMO. The colors don’t look as desaturated as that videos makes them appear to be at times. I think the colors look just fine in the new HDR mode. It really brings out the detail in the sun and clouds and the games lighting looks incredible in HDR. Glad they finally fixed it and I’m glad I haven’t finished it as I now have a reason to jump back in.

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus

Last edited by rolltide1017; 06-03-2019 at 04:26 PM.
post #158 of 169 Old 06-10-2019, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
When will they port to pc??
post #159 of 169 Old 06-27-2019, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaMc View Post
I would advise you both to finish the game, the last two chapters and epilogue are incredible imo.

I finished it last week and cannot stop thinking about the world and narrative Rockstar have created here, and due to the gravity of the ending I've started a second play-through to catch things I missed in the story the first time around. As a whole this would have to be the finest game I've played, and I also nearly threw in the towel mid game. Very glad I saw it through to the end!
Agreed, as someone just venturing into Chap 6 of the story. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

The things I love about this game are the things other people hate about it. That there's no fast travel, that you're not a parkour/acrobatic demon who can sprint across all/any terrain.

I mean, think about it; people are complaining that you spend a lot of time riding your horse around in an Old West game. Ya think???? It's supposed to be a big world that moves at a pre-industrial pace. Arthur is not an elite assassin ninja warrior.

You can already ride from the high west Rockies, through the plains of the midwest, into the swamps of the Bayou, and up though the foothills of Appalachia in about 15 minutes, if you really want to. Smartly, the game never has you do that though, because it would break the immersion and massive feel they've managed to pull off.

I love that gun upgrades are optional, and largely cosmetic. A Colt SAA .45 should be pretty much as deadly as any other revolver, even though it's the starter weapon. And making it gold w/ silly engravings don't matter a damn; there are fancy versions of the guns to collect if you want to have them. But they won't headshot fools any better than your rusty iron Cattleman revolver... as it should be.
Yes, the game is asking you to play it in a certain way. Because it is steering you into a specific set of experiences that serve the story they're trying to tell. Occasionally, I agree it goes too far with the missions on rails and failing if you're standing in the wrong place at the wrong time, etc. But overall? I see what they're doing and appreciate it. The experience is the reward of this game. If you feel like you deserve a better gun than everyone else because you followed some convoluted questline and that's just how things work in video games? There's a hundred other games that will feed that mentality. This isn't one of them. That's okay.
Sorax likes this.
post #160 of 169 Old 06-27-2019, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boochis Messerschmidt View Post

Life is Lambertian
post #161 of 169 Old 06-27-2019, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked: 2532
Quote:
Yes
JudgeSmails likes this.
post #162 of 169 Old 07-05-2019, 09:55 AM
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 534
I was nearly going to buy another xbone to play the best version of this. But, I will hold out for next gen hopefully a PC port by then. I saw this the other day.

https://www.pcgamer.com/red-dead-red...b-source-code/

I will hold out hope.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #163 of 169 Old 07-05-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2096 Post(s)
Liked: 2246
Now only if they could give this game a proper HDR remaster.
DaverJ and Arutha_conDoin like this.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #164 of 169 Old 07-18-2019, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
Yeah I have moved on. For me to spend money on a game and not finish it is rare. I just can't into this. I'd give it a 6/10. It's bad. Proves pretty graphics do not make a good game.
That's how I felt, but after 60 hours in and hating it more and more, I just wanted to see how the story concluded. This game is just a nihilistic mess where nothing matters and the game play is archaic. The graphics and presentation are phenomenal, but would just be as effective as an animated movie.
JudgeSmails likes this.
post #165 of 169 Old 07-22-2019, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Is the online mode worth playing? Like many others I grew tired of the main game and shelved this months ago. Curious if the online play is any good? I liked aspects of GTA Online, but the horrific slow load times just drove me insane and I can't stomach sitting there waiting every time.

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
post #166 of 169 Old 08-25-2019, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Game is currently $20 and $25 for SE on Microsoft Canada for discs - ordered SE

post #167 of 169 Old 10-08-2019, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 225
I've started playing Red Dead Online and...I like it?!? GTA 5 Online I hated for one key reason - load times. Even on an X it takes forever to load after you die or when you switch mini-games, etc. RDO seems better in that manner. Not great, but better. Anyway, here are my early thoughts:

- I like how basically anything you can do in the regular game, you can do online.
- I am a murder machine. My good ol' cowboy just kills each and every random NPC who crosses his path. It's funny how I get the nasty red 'murder' or 'butcher' pop up and that's about it. Very easy to take out any witness.
- The way you can quickly jump into the mini-games is nice. No need to ride your horse to their physical location in the game.
- Like GTA 5 Online I find the lack of explanation and direction a challenge. I had to use a lot of wikis and online guides to help and that is annoying.
- The game remains beautiful. I still find myself stopping and just admiring a waterfall or sunset. The ambient nature remains impressive. Watching wild animals attack each other with no regard to me is always cool. Getting mauled by a pissed off random cougar, hilarious.
- Biggest negative - it takes a fortune to buy anything worth a darn in the game. You like that jacket? Just grind for 8 hours to get it!
- Gold Bars are a micro transaction scam. Very disappointing that it takes real world money to specialize in trades. Oh wait, no it doesn't, you can grind 40 hours to maybe get enough gold to buy ONE profession. Scam.

I am liking it though. The more I play the more I 'get' and I enjoy the little things more. I'd like to spend more time on the trades but knowing I have to pony up more real world money to get enough gold bars puts a bad taste in my mouth.

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
post #168 of 169 Old 10-08-2019, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked: 2532
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12B4A View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
Yes
Just wanted to circle back on this.
post #169 of 169 Old 10-09-2019, 12:43 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
- I am a murder machine. My good ol' cowboy just kills each and every random NPC who crosses his path. It's funny how I get the nasty red 'murder' or 'butcher' pop up and that's about it. Very easy to take out any witness.
Whenever you kill everyone including all witnesses in the game = best feeling ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page