Dolby Atmos for Headphones not working correctly on Xbox One. - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 60Likes

post #61 of 159 Old 08-14-2017, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Has Atmos been fixed for headphones now? Because when i started using the trial for my Turtle Beach 420X Plus it just didn't sound good at all. When i talk to my friends in party chat it sounds like they are in a bathroom or tunnel, the same with games. It sounds weak, tinny as hell. When i then switch to Windows Sonic it sounds good, i hear bass, sounds are fine. Have they finally fixed this then? I remember the demos sounding really good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 159 Old 08-16-2017, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy3105 View Post
...Blu-Ray app still reports the track as True HD and not Atmos so it would appear that the app still needs to be updated.
Bummer! Just got John wick 2 from BluRay Netflix and hoped to listen to that with Atmos headphones.

Pretty lame to release this and charge full price and NOT function, lol.

I still haven't used this in games, hoping that will make up for it.

Still, it does at least significantly improve the immersion factor from stereo when watching late at night.
post #63 of 159 Old 08-23-2017, 02:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalker1982 View Post
Has Atmos been fixed for headphones now? Because when i started using the trial for my Turtle Beach 420X Plus it just didn't sound good at all. When i talk to my friends in party chat it sounds like they are in a bathroom or tunnel, the same with games. It sounds weak, tinny as hell. When i then switch to Windows Sonic it sounds good, i hear bass, sounds are fine. Have they finally fixed this then? I remember the demos sounding really good.
I watched Spectre via headphones and it sounded fantastic, also played some games and they sounded great too.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 159 Old 08-23-2017, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodiuh View Post
Bummer! Just got John wick 2 from BluRay Netflix and hoped to listen to that with Atmos headphones.

Pretty lame to release this and charge full price and NOT function, lol.

I still haven't used this in games, hoping that will make up for it.

Still, it does at least significantly improve the immersion factor from stereo when watching late at night.
Going off what the OP was saying then it would seem that Atmos works but the actual Blu-Ray app hasn't been updated to take advantage of the Atmos function and is playing core audio which the app then processes.

Jeremy Anderson likes this.
post #65 of 159 Old 08-25-2017, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Going off what the OP was saying then it would seem that Atmos works but the actual Blu-Ray app hasn't been updated to take advantage of the Atmos function and is playing core audio which the app then processes.

Right. I got that. I just meant that if Atmos isn't working in the BD player, then they shouldn't be charging full price until it does.
helvetica bold and Andy3105 like this.
post #66 of 159 Old 08-25-2017, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1850 Post(s)
Liked: 1201
Dolby Atmos for Headphones not working correctly on Xbox One.

I was just wondering if there are any updates. I don't understand why they would release an app that didn't do what is intended. I didn't buy it for 5.1 or 7.1,I want that PLUS the height effects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy3105 likes this.

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
post #67 of 159 Old 08-25-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
I was just wondering if there are any updates. I don't understand why they would release an app that didn't do what is intended. I didn't buy it for 5.1 or 7.1,I want that PLUS the height effects.

I don't know for definite that isn't the case but the app most certainly says True HD and not Atmos.

post #68 of 159 Old 08-25-2017, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Another option for people who want Dolby Atmos, and more importantly DTS:X and Auro 3D, Smyth Research is getting very close to releasing their updated VSS system, the A-16. You can still preorder at a discounted price until the end of September (price is expected to jump up ~$500 to it's regular selling price of ~$2295).

http://smyth-research.com/

You can currently order it for $1795. If you don't have the space, money, apartment, etc. for a full blown 7.2.4 (this may be expanded up to a maximum of 16 speakers), this is probably by far the greatest way to experience 3D audio through headphones. Check their kickstarter page, or the thread running on head-fi. It will take measurements of your ears, has head tracking, a "store" where people can trade and buy different surround systems from around the world (like Radio City Music Hall or any other theater that people record the appropriate files). Since some people may have to pay to get accesss

Have a friend with a $20,000 7.2.4 system? Take your A16 and record the room, and the A16 will sound 99% the same through your headphones. The A16 will adjust your headphones to replicate the sound as closely as possible (So obviously better headphones will probably do a better job). They used the Sennheiser HD800 for development, and the HD650 works well too. People who have had the demo had jaw dropping moments. The demo puts you in a 7.2.4 surround sound room. Speakers play when the headphones are off your head. Put the headphones on, the speakers drop out and the A16 takes over. Hundreds of people cannot tell the difference between the speakers playing and the headphones!

You have much more control over the entire experience, and you aren't limited to Atmos. It takes the audio out from HDMI and does it's magic. It has 4 HDMI inputs that are 2.0b and HDCP 2.2 compliant, with one HDMI out. The A16 can be bypassed (pass-through) so your surround system can still be used. Just plug the A16 into your AVR.

I have been gaming with virtual surround sound for 7 years now. While my current Creative SoundBlaster X7 (SBX VSS) does a really good job with 5.1 or 7.1 feeds, it isn't even close to what the A16 does. For me this is the far cheaper option to get into 3D audio, and really there is no way for me to even attempt a full 7.2.4 system in my Philly apartment.

I really hope Microsoft and Dolby can fix this headphone app. $15 is nothing if it actually works when they fix the kinks. The Smyth Research system is another world, where you can change just about everything. Their A8 was very successful and twice the price (without 3D audio).

Figured I would drop this in here as some of us AVS members are a little insane and want the best possible sound. I can't fathom the A16 being topped for a long time, and the pre-order discount is running out fast. I went with the A16 2U, which is the rack mount version. They also have a headphone stand type that is pretty unique. They recently posted pictures of the production models. Check out their Kickstarter page which explains all of this FAR better than I can.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...token=e7f27544

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: BeyondMaxPower---- Vizio P75-C1    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Pioneer SC-72   Sony BDP-S790 Xbox One S, PS4 Pro, Astro Mixamp 2013, Soundblaster X7 (Sparkos Op Amps), Schiit Modi Multibit/Magni, LTA MicroZOTL2 headphone amp, Hifiman HE-X V2, AKG K702 65th Anniversary, Fostex TH-X00 Ebony, Monoprice Monolith M1060 (Vegan pads), DT990 Pro 250 ohm, Massdrop/Sennheiser HD6XX and PC37X Audio Technica ATH-M50x Antlion ModMic
post #69 of 159 Old 08-25-2017, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm talking Dolby Atmos for headphones. That's what it's called but it only works with the demos.

post #70 of 159 Old 08-27-2017, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
I'm talking Dolby Atmos for headphones. That's what it's called but it only works with the demos.

Just out of curiosity, how can you tell its not working for games, etc on your headphones?
post #71 of 159 Old 08-27-2017, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 849
Got a recent update to the build on my X1 and surround presence/overhead is greatly improved. But it still doesn't have any sense of sounds being in FRONT of you like regular Dolby Headphone does. I don't know if they need to tweak their virtual speaker placements more or if it's just a change in the HRTF model, but I'm still preferring the Dolby Headphone from my Astro A50 Gen3. That said, it's way better than when they first released it and I'll definitely come back to it once they get Atmos support into a game. As it is now, the lack of a cohesive front soundstage makes it a no-go for me.

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
post #72 of 159 Old 08-27-2017, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

For games it's just virtual 5.1. I'd play some BF1 w/ Dolby headphones enabled. When planes would fly overhead there was no height effects what so ever. BF1 doesn't support Atmos on console but Atmos headphones should work like the Dolby Surround on an AVR and upmix channel based layout for overhead effect.

post #73 of 159 Old 09-03-2017, 03:40 PM

Am I right in thinking that dialogue should sound like it's coming from in front of you like a centre speaker and not like it's in both ears....?

post #74 of 159 Old 09-03-2017, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Am I right in thinking that dialogue should sound like it's coming from in front of you like a centre speaker and not like it's in both ears....?

It's supposed to. But it doesn't.
Andy3105 and Kev Greenhalgh like this.

post #75 of 159 Old 09-04-2017, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post
It's supposed to. But it doesn't.
Si then it's definitely still not working as it should then, frustrating....

post #76 of 159 Old 09-04-2017, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 356
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but regardless, I hope this helps: If you're using surround sound headsets(not stereo), you have to set them to stereo, then configure the One's audio settings to Atmos(or Windows Sonic). This way the One's doing the surround processing. I've the TB Stealth 500X(picking up the new 700X today), and it has 7.1 virtual surround. Someone on Reddit posted changing your headphones to stereo mode, which I did. It was NIGHT and DAY. I never realized how weak the 7.1 virtual surround was on my 500X's til I let the One do the processing. The localization is ten times better, it was like having new headsets. My headsets now function like virtual surround should. Even the games that don't have Atmos, I still left it on Atmos because the surround processing was far better than with the Sonic setting on. The Atmos settings on games that don't have it is a bit tinny, but the surround processing was so much better, I couldn't go back.
barneyrubnleuk likes this.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #77 of 159 Old 09-05-2017, 04:52 AM

There's obviously been some changes made in the past, either by MS or Dolby that have changed things for the worse as I remember when I first got the trial and played Destiny the voices of the other characters sounded like they were right in front of me, almost like listening through my centre speaker.

Also the same effect was experienced when I was in the Xbox menu and changed from Windows Sonic to Atmos, the sound made when you move the cursor sounded like it was coming from the TV but now all sounds like these come from left & right like stereo and it's really pissing me off.

I've double checked the settings and I've selected Atmos and ticked that my headset is connected by optical out so everything seems correct, the weird thing is that if I untick the box for USB connection I still get sound, it's so confusing.

post #78 of 159 Old 09-05-2017, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There's obviously been some changes made in the past, either by MS or Dolby that have changed things for the worse as I remember when I first got the trial and played Destiny the voices of the other characters sounded like they were right in front of me, almost like listening through my centre speaker.

Also the same effect was experienced when I was in the Xbox menu and changed from Windows Sonic to Atmos, the sound made when you move the cursor sounded like it was coming from the TV but now all sounds like these come from left & right like stereo and it's really pissing me off.

I've double checked the settings and I've selected Atmos and ticked that my headset is connected by optical out so everything seems correct, the weird thing is that if I untick the box for USB connection I still get sound, it's so confusing.

This is exactly what my initial problem was with it. Dolby Headphone from my Astros does a great job of making things sound like they're in front of you. DAfH has good surround presence, but almost no front soundstage to speak of. It just collapses to stereo. And yet, Dolby told me they modeled the virtual speaker placements off of their rectangular room speaker placement guidelines. It definitely doesn't sound like it.

I'm on a test build once removed from the retail release and it's a LITTLE better than before... but still not as good as straight Dolby Headphone on the Astros. (And yes, I am changing them to stereo mode when using DAfH. I've also tried various equalizations to see if that was interfering with the expected frequency response, with no improvement.)

Dolby had spoken with me before about offering user-adjustable tweaks to this in the app, but I haven't heard anything back from them when I've asked additional questions. I fear that they have written my complaints off at this point, though I've seen several other people with the same criticisms. I'll try it again when there's an actual game with Atmos content, but until then, I'm sticking with Astro's Dolby Headphone implementation.

post #79 of 159 Old 09-05-2017, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 21
So do the A50 gen 3s work with dolby atmos although wireless? I thought I read somewhere they wouldn't work because the base station uses optical and not direct HDMI. I tried mine after purchasing the license and the demos would all say nothing was enabled for atmos and trying other headsets as my understanding any headset should work had the same effect.

Is there something I'm not doing correctly on my system and or A50s? I'm in the latest alpha build for xb1 but I've tried this in previous GA or alpha releases.
post #80 of 159 Old 09-05-2017, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xzibit190 View Post
So do the A50 gen 3s work with dolby atmos although wireless? I thought I read somewhere they wouldn't work because the base station uses optical and not direct HDMI. I tried mine after purchasing the license and the demos would all say nothing was enabled for atmos and trying other headsets as my understanding any headset should work had the same effect.

Is there something I'm not doing correctly on my system and or A50s? I'm in the latest alpha build for xb1 but I've tried this in previous GA or alpha releases.
Turn the Astros to stereo mode, change the audio settings in the One to Atmos or Sonic. This way the One does the virtual surround instead of the Astros. It was HUGE improvement localization/spatialization-wise. Way better then the headsets themselves(my TB's use optical).

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #81 of 159 Old 09-05-2017, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dolby Atmos for Headphones not working correctly on Xbox One.

Any ETA on Atmos Headphones to work with the Bluray app. And I mean proper Atmos not just virtual surround. At this point they should just call it Dolby Headphones since Atmos isn't working w/ anything except the demos.

jodiuh and Andy3105 like this.

post #82 of 159 Old 09-07-2017, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I can confirm it's still broken on win10

I can confirm this is still broken on win10.
Using the dolby speaker test files from https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/test-tones.html all speakers positions work well BUT front left and front right speakers who instead come almost straight left and straight right.
It's pretty cool to try up to 9.1.6, but always have the same problems.

Note that on XBox One, 2 days ago I was able to play a Star Trek (#2 of reboot movies) UHD disk with Atmos soundtrack through some headphones connected to the XBox controller. I had a bit of stuttering of the sound at times (I turned off BT on my phone that was nearby and that seem to have fixed it), but overall great quality. Was this really Atmos, or was this some other track that was really read is hard to say, but the console was set for Atmos through headphones, the Dolby demo app worked...
Overall the sound quality was great. I'm just not sure if it had the height effects, and front left + front right might have the same bug as on Win10. In a movie soundtrack, it's less obvious than with the Dolby test videos.
post #83 of 159 Old 09-08-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tperraut View Post
Was this really Atmos...
I think if it's Atmos, we will see that in the information screen up top vs Dolby True HD.
post #84 of 159 Old 10-26-2017, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked: 879
Hey All, can someone clear something up for me?

I have the Plantronics RIG 800lx and the Turtle beach Elite 800X headsets and I am using the dolby atmos settings. I noticed that when the base for either headset is connected to the usb of the Xbox One S it will not allow me to select dolby atmos audio for use through my receiver. I have to disconnect the base from the xbox and then Dolby atmos works through my receiver.

I am trying to avoid needing to constantly plug the base in when I need the headphones. Is this normal or am I missing something?

Thank you

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
post #85 of 159 Old 11-16-2017, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Any updates to this or workarounds? Have the Xbox now since the new X release and I'm impressed with the demo videos and have the trial right now, but in Blu Rays it just says TrueHD, like some people here mentioned 6 months ago. Why is this not fixed yet for headphones? :/
post #86 of 159 Old 11-16-2017, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Edge View Post
Any updates to this or workarounds? Have the Xbox now since the new X release and I'm impressed with the demo videos and have the trial right now, but in Blu Rays it just says TrueHD, like some people here mentioned 6 months ago. Why is this not fixed yet for headphones? :/

Did you contact MS support? I’m trying to get the X to pass the Atmos headphones signal through my receiver and have no luck. The more people report issues to MS the better chance we get things fixed. Don’t get me started on the black level issue, waiting on that patch to drop!

post #87 of 159 Old 11-17-2017, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Edge View Post
I’m engaged in a support email with Dolby directly. Will keep you guys updated!
post #88 of 159 Old 11-24-2017, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodiuh View Post
I’m engaged in a support email with Dolby directly. Will keep you guys updated!
Thanks ! No wonder I had trouble spotting differences between Atmos and Stereo in BluRays.. Such a shame it still doesn't work with movies, I was really ready to buy it.

And to be sure : the only way to get Atmos with headphones is to either plug them into the controller or through the optical out of the Xbox, right ? I'm a little confused because I felt like I got some of the Atmos effect by plugging the headphones directly into the jack out of my TV, but I guess that's because the controller had trouble driving my 300ohms Sennheisers anyway. For high impedance sets like mine, I guess the best way would be to add a DAC/amp to the optical out of the console and then plug the headset into that.

LG 65C7 - Xbox One X - Klipsch R15PM - Klipsch R12SW - Sennheiser HD650
post #89 of 159 Old 11-25-2017, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Kaelis- View Post
Thanks ! No wonder I had trouble spotting differences between Atmos and Stereo in BluRays.. Such a shame it still doesn't work with movies, I was really ready to buy it.

And to be sure : the only way to get Atmos with headphones is to either plug them into the controller or through the optical out of the Xbox, right ? I'm a little confused because I felt like I got some of the Atmos effect by plugging the headphones directly into the jack out of my TV, but I guess that's because the controller had trouble driving my 300ohms Sennheisers anyway. For high impedance sets like mine, I guess the best way would be to add a DAC/amp to the optical out of the console and then plug the headset into that.
So are you saying Atmos does not work with wireless headsets at this time? For example the Plantronics Rig 800 X which connects to the Xbox through USB...
post #90 of 159 Old 11-26-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soycrema View Post
So are you saying Atmos does not work with wireless headsets at this time? For example the Plantronics Rig 800 X which connects to the Xbox through USB...
I don’t think you’ll get USB to work, there’s no option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Kaelis- View Post

So I’m using a receiver that’s connected via HDMI. If you select Atmos for headphones under headset, you’ll get Atmos out of the controller jack. If you check the “hdmi or optical” below, it will send Atmos for headphones to whatever you’ve got connected via optical or HDMI.

I don’t know if you can send hdmi out to tv and get atmos for headphones from the tv 3.5mm jack, but you can try it out via the 1st demo in the atmos app. You’ll know if its’ working. Aside from that, I think jdlabs have a portable dac/amp for $300? Although at that price point, you might just consider a receiver. I paid $200 for an RX-V381 Yamaha that does True HD and DTS Master Audio and $70 bucks on a pair of Micca m42x speakers. You can build up from there. Here’s what I did:

Home Theater - Yamaha/Micca
Front
http://i.imgur.com/clxWwU1.jpg

Rear
http://i.imgur.com/tOMkcdH.jpg

The speakers aren’t going to win any awards, but they’re more than sufficient for listening to music and I’m fairly particular. Bluetooth sounds good enough and the improvement with games and movies in surround floors me every time. As you can see, the surrounds take up very little space. Feeling the sub vibrate the room and having such a wide soundstage makes media so much more immersive.

200 Yamaha RX-V381

90 Micca MB42X front pair
110 Dayton 1000 parts express subwoofer
80 Micca MB42X-C center
40 Micca Covo-S rear pair (small cubes)
$330 Speakers

24 100 feet 16 Gauge OF wire
13 2 9' HDMI Cables
30 Acoustic pads for Micca MB42X
5 sub cable from parts express
10 yoga blocks for sub
43 Harmony Audio HA-BKSPKS front speaker stands (large plate for foam pads)
40 Atlantic Satellite 77305018 rear speakers stands (much smaller)
$165 Accessories

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/H...Pair-HA-BKSPKS

https://www.parts-express.com/audtek...12-ft--181-403

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...oofer--300-628

http://www.amazon.com/registry/wishlist/3SM674H9HOWZG

You can google for a coupon code from parts express.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page