The Official Xbox One X thread - Page 141 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3719Likes

post #4201 of 6906 Old 12-27-2017, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Yea. The life like implementation of the reflections is what gets me. Something as simple as my gold colored arms...when viewing my character in the menu screen and rotating, the reflection that comes off just the gold is like a realistic glint you would expect.

I hope this is the standard (at least for games) other studios strive for.
I have no plans to get Destiny 2 but I downloaded the demo and played it for a while when the HDR patch came out. I agree, this is the way I expect HDR to look. More natural and realistic, and the way I hope games and movies look - at least ones that aren't supposed to have a cartoony asthetic anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNayAV View Post
Okay last attempt....

Asked multiple times to get example of what possible signal would require more bandwith and never got it. That's because there is not a signal that requires more bandwith.
For audio, My Xbox is set up to output 7.1 uncompressed it isn't doing any bit rate sampling.
I've already been to the HDMI thread, it's how i arrived at the Monoprice cables for all my other devices.
I'm not going back over there as there's no point.
Not doing research on a topic that you can't give an example for.
No research needed anyway. Apparently Microsoft only built the cable with the resolutions and bit depths that the XB1X provides and it doesn't work with any other resolutions outside of that! Maybe he thinks it's an "intelligent" cable and MS configured it to only allow what the 1X outputs! Proof that it works at the highest bandwidth and all lower bandwidths is irrelevant. People think what they want. They read something on the internet and no longer have to think for themselves. Unfortunately, as was pointed out, others come to these threads and read something from someone posting proven wrong information and then make a wrong decision off of it. Personally, as long as the cable works with my 1X, that's all I care about. And I don't think anyone is going out and buying a 1X to get the cable from it. Regardless, if someone is going to post a biased opinion as fact, it's not going to go over well.

Samsung KS8000, Denon AVR-X3300W, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K bluray player, Himedia Q5 Pro android box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4202 of 6906 Old 12-27-2017, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
I'll stick to 8-bit output with YCC 4:4:2 enabled on my Xbox One X on my 75Z9D until I hear otherwise, since it hasn't been proven to affect anything but only make output signals more compatible across various configurations.
I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this but on my TV (Samsung KS) setting the Xbox One X to 8-bit color introduces obvious color banding. I first noticed it on the green Xbox One loading screen when you turn it on. I've also noticed banding on different screens on the dashboard. I haven't had a chance to test any non-HDR games to see if there is banding but I did run a test with Insects demo and banding is very apparent when 8-bit color is selected in the settings. You may have to uncheck the HDR box to force 8-bit color since this game is HDR capable.

I plan to run more tests with non-HDR content since those should be those only ones affected. If the banding is consistent with other non-HDR content then 12-bit color will be best choice for my TV. The chroma subsampling won't be 4:4:4 though. If you must have it then you can get 12-bit 4:4:4 by forcing 1080p and have your TV do the upscaling but it could add input lag depending on your TV.
post #4203 of 6906 Old 12-27-2017, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2271 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbyakko View Post
I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this but on my TV (Samsung KS) setting the Xbox One X to 8-bit color introduces obvious color banding. I first noticed it on the green Xbox One loading screen when you turn it on. I've also noticed banding on different screens on the dashboard. I haven't had a chance to test any non-HDR games to see if there is banding but I did run a test with Insects demo and banding is very apparent when 8-bit color is selected in the settings. You may have to uncheck the HDR box to force 8-bit color since this game is HDR capable.

I plan to run more tests with non-HDR content since those should be those only ones affected. If the banding is consistent with other non-HDR content then 12-bit color will be best choice for my TV. The chroma subsampling won't be 4:4:4 though. If you must have it then you can get 12-bit 4:4:4 by forcing 1080p and have your TV do the upscaling but it could add input lag depending on your TV.
I've never seen banding on my Sony Z regardless of source but that said, from Vincent's video, he showed adjusting the color bit depth didn't have any affect on the Xbox Dashboard and setting it higher, it was still outputting at 8 bit unless he started a source that went higher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4204 of 6906 Old 12-27-2017, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 262
There was an initial issue to the XB1 X as far as content goes... It was rapidly fixed via update.
Cam1977 likes this.

LG C7 65"|Xbox One X|PS4 Pro|Nvidia Shield
post #4205 of 6906 Old 12-27-2017, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked: 4046
Quote:

Could you post a picture of color banding at 8-bit, and then no banding when set to 10-bit please? A visual example would be very useful for the forum... thanks!
post #4206 of 6906 Old 12-27-2017, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
Lol I got one for my son for Christmas but after watching him play...now I want one for my own!
Awesome. Great machine. Have fun friend.
Cam1977 likes this.

post #4207 of 6906 Old 12-27-2017, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver-eye View Post
Xbox one x video settings explained!

https://youtu.be/SHVJYB-Qews
Thanks for the video.

Wish my TV provided that level of HDMI signal info....hell I wish mine provided something more than resolution and refresh rate =P Oh well price I get for going budget.
post #4208 of 6906 Old 12-27-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
I've never seen banding on my Sony Z regardless of source but that said, from Vincent's video, he showed adjusting the color bit depth didn't have any affect on the Xbox Dashboard and setting it higher, it was still outputting at 8 bit unless he started a source that went higher.
I wouldn't expect banding on the Sony because from what I read it does very well in that area. The reason the Xbox outputs only 8 bit color while on the dashboard in the video is because the top speed of the HDMI on Epson projector he was using is 10.2Gbps and the most it can accept 8 bit color at 4K60. Our TVs' HDMIs are 18Gbps and can accept up to 12 bit color at 4K60 so the Xbox will output 12 bit color to our TVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
Could you post a picture of color banding at 8-bit, and then no banding when set to 10-bit please? A visual example would be very useful for the forum... thanks!
I'll try to snap a pic or two when I get a chance. It's a simple check though if someone else wants to give it a go. If anyone else uses a Denon receiver you check the bit depth of the HDMI signal.
post #4209 of 6906 Old 12-27-2017, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
I've got a Samsung KS8000 (I assume that's what you have as well) and I don't get any banding at 8bit. I have mine set to 8bit and have never seen banding. It sounds like you also use a Denon AVR. In the Denon forum there was some talk recently about banding. They were saying to turn on video Bypass, or set Video Conversion and i/p scaler to Off (depending on your model). I have always had both of those set Off, and never had banding issues. The green XB1 screen is always smooth. I don't know if this will help in your case, but thought I'd throw it out there.
DaverJ likes this.

Samsung KS8000, Denon AVR-X3300W, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K bluray player, Himedia Q5 Pro android box
post #4210 of 6906 Old 12-27-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf7002 View Post
I've got a Samsung KS8000 (I assume that's what you have as well) and I don't get any banding at 8bit. I have mine set to 8bit and have never seen banding. It sounds like you also use a Denon AVR. In the Denon forum there was some talk recently about banding. They were saying to turn on video Bypass, or set Video Conversion and i/p scaler to Off (depending on your model). I have always had both of those set Off, and never had banding issues. The green XB1 screen is always smooth. I don't know if this will help in your case, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Thanks for that. I'll try it out.
post #4211 of 6906 Old 12-27-2017, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3063 Post(s)
Liked: 3781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datagg View Post
Awesome. Great machine. Have fun friend.
Thanks...trying to convince myself that I really really need it!!! What do you think in regards to 4k blu ray playback...if I get I would move the m8500.

Last edited by Cam1977; 12-27-2017 at 06:25 PM.
post #4212 of 6906 Old 12-27-2017, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2210 Post(s)
Liked: 1744
Quote:
Thanks...trying to convince myself that I really really need it!!! What do you think in regards to 4k blu ray playback...if I get I would move the m8500.
It does playback very well. And word is the one big issue that is still lingering (RGB conversion for HDR) is possibly being addressed in Beta preview.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Cam1977 likes this.
post #4213 of 6906 Old 12-27-2017, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
I wouldn't expect banding on the Sony because from what I read it does very well in that area. The reason the Xbox outputs only 8 bit color while on the dashboard in the video is because the top speed of the HDMI on Epson projector he was using is 10.2Gbps and the most it can accept 8 bit color at 4K60. Our TVs' HDMIs are 18Gbps and can accept up to 12 bit color at 4K60 so the Xbox will output 12 bit color to our TVs.

I'll try to snap a pic or two when I get a chance. It's a simple check though if someone else wants to give it a go. If anyone else uses a Denon receiver you check the bit depth of the HDMI signal.
I too would be interested in a pic of the difference of the 8bit vs 10bit colour setting banding on the Xbox one X. I have the xbox one X and the denon 6300.

As Lone Wolf suggested, I disabled Video conversion in my denon settings, but I don't seem to see any change in picture quality besides the fact that the settings menu and info button take forever to come up now - and display on an all black screen instead of an overlay.
Kev Greenhalgh likes this.

65" 900E Tee Vee | Denon 6300H AVR | PSA MTM-210s | PSA MTM-210c | PSA MTM-110s | Canton 880 InCeilings | Rythmik FV25HP
post #4214 of 6906 Old 12-27-2017, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It does playback very well. And word is the one big issue that is still lingering (RGB conversion for HDR) is possibly being addressed in Beta preview.

Awesome that's good to know...made my decision easier! This one will be paired with my C7! It looks phenomenal on my p series, can't wait to see what it looks like on the oled!
-Kaelis- likes this.
post #4215 of 6906 Old 12-27-2017, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's a Fantastic player. Have paired up with my 65" C7. Absolutely love it.
Cam1977 likes this.

post #4216 of 6906 Old 12-27-2017, 11:19 PM

So I pinpointed my issue with the banding. The color depth selection only makes a difference when the Xbox One X is set to output 1080p. I could not find any visible differences when the resolution is set to 4K. I don't imagine this will be an issue with most folks. I have external video processing for 1080p content that I prefer to use instead of having the Xbox One X upscale non-4K/HDR content. If for some reason anyone has the resolution set to 1080p you might want see what the different color depths look like on you TV. I attached some pictures showing the differences between 8-bit and 10/12-bit at 1080p. The first picture of each pair the 8-bit color and the second is 12-bit color. I did not notice a difference between 10-bit and 12-bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	insects intro 8-bit.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	552.4 KB
ID:	2336390   Click image for larger version

Name:	insects intro 12-bit.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	589.9 KB
ID:	2336392   Click image for larger version

Name:	ori load 8-bit.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	629.6 KB
ID:	2336394   Click image for larger version

Name:	ori load 12-bit.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	658.9 KB
ID:	2336396   Click image for larger version

Name:	ori title 8-bit.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	704.1 KB
ID:	2336398  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ori title 12-bit.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	646.5 KB
ID:	2336400  
post #4217 of 6906 Old 12-28-2017, 12:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Quote:
So I pinpointed my issue with the banding. The color depth selection only makes a difference when the Xbox One X is set to output 1080p. I could not find any visible differences when the resolution is set to 4K. I don't imagine this will be an issue with most folks. I have external video processing for 1080p content that I prefer to use instead of having the Xbox One X upscale non-4K/HDR content. If for some reason anyone has the resolution set to 1080p you might want see what the different color depths look like on you TV. I attached some pictures showing the differences between 8-bit and 10/12-bit at 1080p. The first picture of each pair the 8-bit color and the second is 12-bit color. I did not notice a difference between 10-bit and 12-bit.
Is this with Standard color space or PC RGB?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
post #4218 of 6906 Old 12-28-2017, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datagg View Post
It's a Fantastic player. Have paired up with my 65" C7. Absolutely love it.
Thanks buddie...will be picking one up today...can you please pm me the settings you use for gaming on the c7 and any tips...thanks!!!
post #4219 of 6906 Old 12-28-2017, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2210 Post(s)
Liked: 1744
Quote:
Weird. Definitely not seeing this issue with mine on 1080p and 8bit

post #4220 of 6906 Old 12-28-2017, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2360 Post(s)
Liked: 924
Just installed destiny 2 with my 75” Sony z9. Wow. Wow. Most impressive 4k hdr since horizon zero dawn

DocACE911 on Steam, XBOX, PS4
"Kill Cancer or Die"
Custom Z9 Game Settings For SDR and HDR
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
Loving Wife and 4 year old Son who tolerate this expense!
post #4221 of 6906 Old 12-28-2017, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post
Just installed destiny 2 with my 75” Sony z9. Wow. Wow. Most impressive 4k hdr since horizon zero dawn
Based on what you and others have said about Destiny 2 on here, makes me look forward to it a lot!

LG OLED55B6P ~ PS4 Pro ~ Xbox One X ~ Apple TV 4K ~ PSN/XBL: firesamu
post #4222 of 6906 Old 12-28-2017, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 492
GF got me an XB1X for Xmas and have been enjoying it so far. I have a question on the settings for the audio. I went back a few pages to not be that lazy and mainly saw bickering over video settings. So far in that dept I have no complaints. I am using a Sharp Aquos Q+ 70"UQ series I bought back in early 2015. Basically a 1080p TV that accepts a 4K signal , although when I ran the 4K check on it the XB1X said it is 4K but some things arent available yadda yadda. I have been playing GOW4 the past few days and have been impressed by how it looks , but I am more of a basshead than a videophile , 4 18's in the living room really let the place have it lol.
Anyhow my question relates to Atmos. I am running a 5.2.2 setup thru an atmos/dts AVR and I downloaded the Dolby Atmos app for the X and it told to me switch to bitstream out and dolby atmos. Now when I switch to bitstream out , the sound goes silent and from then on no matter what setting I select there is nothing. Only way I get sound is thru stereo uncompressed , which sounds good , but im not sure if there is something im missing? I run the Atmos demos and definitely get a 3D effect in the room , I just want to make sure hearing all of what the X is capable of. Ive ran thru every setting on both the X and AVR a couple times and only get the stereo uncompressed to output. I even checked the Bluray option to "let AVR decode".
post #4223 of 6906 Old 12-28-2017, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Guys here is a Video from Vincent on best settings for the XB1 X for video output.

post #4224 of 6906 Old 12-28-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisha View Post
Is this with Standard color space or PC RGB?

Standard color space.

Quote:
Weird. Definitely not seeing this issue with mine on 1080p and 8bit

Thanks for checking. That must mean it's something to do with my setup. I'll send Microsoft a note just in case it's a bug with the OS.
post #4225 of 6906 Old 12-28-2017, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsnow17 View Post
GF got me an XB1X for Xmas and have been enjoying it so far. I have a question on the settings for the audio. I went back a few pages to not be that lazy and mainly saw bickering over video settings. So far in that dept I have no complaints. I am using a Sharp Aquos Q+ 70"UQ series I bought back in early 2015. Basically a 1080p TV that accepts a 4K signal , although when I ran the 4K check on it the XB1X said it is 4K but some things arent available yadda yadda. I have been playing GOW4 the past few days and have been impressed by how it looks , but I am more of a basshead than a videophile , 4 18's in the living room really let the place have it lol.

Anyhow my question relates to Atmos. I am running a 5.2.2 setup thru an atmos/dts AVR and I downloaded the Dolby Atmos app for the X and it told to me switch to bitstream out and dolby atmos. Now when I switch to bitstream out , the sound goes silent and from then on no matter what setting I select there is nothing. Only way I get sound is thru stereo uncompressed

How is your Xbox connected to your AVR? I believe ATMOS requires an HDMI connection, not optical. And are you direct between them, or are you going through the TV first (using ARC from the TV to the AVR)?
post #4226 of 6906 Old 12-28-2017, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffChap View Post
How is your Xbox connected to your AVR? I believe ATMOS requires an HDMI connection, not optical. And are you direct between them, or are you going through the TV first (using ARC from the TV to the AVR)?
Supplied XB1X HDMI to game input on my Onkyo TX-NR646 , then out to TV for picture. I have the listening mode on the AVR set to Dolby Surround , and have tried with it set to DTS , but still only get sound if im using Stereo Unc.
post #4227 of 6906 Old 12-28-2017, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
My Denon has a config setting whereby I tell it if my .2 speakers are back surround or Atmos front/mid high. If I don't have them setup as Atmos, I'm not sure it'll let me select Atmos mode. Does your Onkyo have something similar?
post #4228 of 6906 Old 12-28-2017, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffChap View Post
My Denon has a config setting whereby I tell it if my .2 speakers are back surround or Atmos front/mid high. If I don't have them setup as Atmos, I'm not sure it'll let me select Atmos mode. Does your Onkyo have something similar?
FYI: I have a Denon x4200 and I'm only using a 5.1 speaker set up with no speakers designated as atmos speakers. The receiver will still display "Dolby Atmos" when that is the signal it is receiving.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

LG OLED65C, Sony 940e, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Oppo 203, Denon AVR-X4200, SVS SB-2000 (x2), SVS Prime Tower (x2), SVS Prime Satellite (x2), SVS Prime Center
post #4229 of 6906 Old 12-29-2017, 04:24 AM

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 120
@Jsnow17

Are the other options greyed out? And only allow you the stereo uncompressed?
post #4230 of 6906 Old 12-29-2017, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all,

I also have some major color banding issues with Denon AVR x1400H and the Xbox One X + LG OLED B6.

Xbox One X: all enabled in video settings to play HDR games, in this case The Witcher 3 with the new patch.
x1400H: 4k signal mode = enhanced for 10 bit hdr
LG B6: Deep Color enabled on the HDMI port

Basically, 8-bit 1080p/4K = no color banding at all (HDR and YCC 4:2:2 disabled).
HDR BT.2020 extreme color banding (Pixel depth never show in the AVR HDMI INFO screen when using HDR) (HDR and YCC 4:2:2 enabled)
Common factor as I have seen, is that when the AVR does not display the pixel depth, I will get strange colors or not the correct view on either HDR / SDR content.

So for now, I have to disable HDR on the Xbox due to the banding.
It also seems like the Xbox will never use 4:2:2, I only see 8/10bit and 4:2:0 with 1080P/4K via the AVR info.
Like others, I have color banding on the Insect demo with HDR enabled, none with HDR off.

I even entered HDMI Diagnostic and set "no limit" on the 4K signal on GAME HDMI Input on the AVR, seems like 4k Signal Enhanced is setting the limit to 4K30.

Pretty sure its a bug on MS side with the Xbox and how the YCC 4:2:2 behaves, as I've never seen it actually kick in. Also the Denon AVR struggles with banding somehow.

When I connect the Xbox directly to the TV, with HDR and YCC 4:2:2 enabled, it is NO banding either. But then I can't see pixel depth via the AVR.

Anyone have some briliant ideas on what I can test next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
enhanced , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page