The Official Xbox One X thread - Page 148 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3742Likes

post #4411 of 7012 Old 01-11-2018, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I believe you need to connect the HDMI to port 5 on Vizio TV's. There is only one that has low lag.

Come join our adult gaming community at www.syndicatedgaming.com

XBL, PSN, and Steam: diehardcubfn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4412 of 7012 Old 01-11-2018, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by markc72 View Post
I believe you need to connect the HDMI to port 5 on Vizio TV's. There is only one that has low lag.
port 5 has the lowest latency but doesn't allow HDR on the Vizio P-Series (or the other series too).
post #4413 of 7012 Old 01-11-2018, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I will post this in here too since I know there are LG OLED users here. If you think the hdr game mode is too dim: turn off ASBL.

Instructions here: How to: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...g-oled-tv.html

I was playing Witcher 3 on my C6 in HDR and it looked fantastic for a bit, but the ASBL would kick in like crazy and dim the picture to where it was killing shadow detail. With ASBL off, the picture is consistent and shadow detail is no longer crushed. Keep in mind I play in a light controlled environment so this won't help people in bright rooms, but it might help folks in darker environments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4414 of 7012 Old 01-11-2018, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

this is soooooo off-topic. but this is why we can't have nice things:

The #1 selling computer case is a rack designed for mining. Look at all those GPUs. Right now, a Vega 56 card that is supposed to go for $400 is now going for $700-800. I want to cry. I can't upgrade my PC as all parts have gone sky high because of all the miners.
post #4415 of 7012 Old 01-11-2018, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 238
The Official Xbox One X thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post
this is soooooo off-topic. but this is why we can't have nice things:

The #1 selling computer case is a rack designed for mining. Look at all those GPUs. Right now, a Vega 56 card that is supposed to go for $400 is now going for $700-800. I want to cry. I can't upgrade my PC as all parts have gone sky high because of all the miners.

I'm in the same boat. My gaming desktop is five years old and I've been looking to upgrade but building a nice new rig is about $1K more expensive now than it was about 2 years ago when I was toying with the idea, mostly due to insane GPU and RAM prices.

Luckily I am pretty happy with my One X, PS4 Pro, and Switch. But the PC has always been my favorite platform with its cutting edge tech. Now that it looks like companies are starting to take large screen HDR-capable gaming monitors seriously, I'm even more bummed about the price of a new rig.
post #4416 of 7012 Old 01-11-2018, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

yes, my Xbox One X and One S are perfectly great for gaming. I'm upgrading my PC for other non-gaming reasons including 4K video editing. I felt the pain for RAM prices. Slogging along on a RX480 while waiting for a newer card but all good GPUs are now priced so high because of the mining craze. I could buy a 1080 now for only $500 because apparently it's not a great mining GPU. But I want a newer card that handles more video-related tasks (more h.265 and better h.264 options, etc. etc.)
post #4417 of 7012 Old 01-11-2018, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
I'd doubt that is the issue, especially since he is talking about input lag.

Do you have any other HDR games to try and test how the input lag is?

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Every hdr game does it :/ but check this out

1080p super responsive
4k lag
4k hdr lag
4k. Change color space to rgb on Xbox. Super responsive
4k hdr. Change color space to rgb. Still lag

So I can play in 4k with no lag now but adding hdr still brings lag and even trying to switch color space doesn’t help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4418 of 7012 Old 01-11-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
It could be that the Xbox is struggling to pump out real 4K @60p graphics. Not necessary the fault of TV.

It looks fine and seems to be running smooth as can be. But it’s just not as responsive when moving the sticks

post #4419 of 7012 Old 01-11-2018, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2251 Post(s)
Liked: 1793
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD4L View Post
Every hdr game does it :/ but check this out

1080p super responsive
4k lag
4k hdr lag
4k. Change color space to rgb on Xbox. Super responsive
4k hdr. Change color space to rgb. Still lag

So I can play in 4k with no lag now but adding hdr still brings lag and even trying to switch color space doesn’t help.

Are you running through an AVR?

post #4420 of 7012 Old 01-11-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Are you running through an AVR?

Nope straight FRom x to display.

Using the correct input and in game mode too

Pc rgb fixes it for 4k

But if hdr is enabled too the lag comes right back

post #4421 of 7012 Old 01-11-2018, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hi there,

New user here, and an owner of the XB1X since launch paired with an LG B7. Just wanted to get some input from some of you who have the console and maybe the same TV on whether or not you've encountered any issues with the HDMI signal dropping randomly. Haven't read through the whole thread yet so I'm not sure if anything like this has been mentioned. The issue is as follows:

The screen will go black and suddenly display some greyish static/noise for a few seconds and then revert to its screensaver page as though there's no HDMI signal detected. It doesn't seem to come back on its own. Unplugging the HDMI cable and replugging it solves the issue, as does switching off HDMI deep colour in the settings and switching it back on again. From what I can tell so far, the issue seems isolated to HDR content (specifically HDR gaming. I haven't tried any movies yet), and sometimes occurs when performing the actual switch from SDR to HDR when a game boots up, but other times randomly during HDR gameplay.

I've tried: power cycling the console, console reset, swapping HDMI cables with PS4 Pro, switching TV inputs, and fiddling with various settings like colour depth and "Allow YCC 4:2:2", but I can't seem to shake the issue. Right now I'm trialing having the "Allow YCC 4:2:2" unchecked again to see if it has any effect.

Has anyone had issues like this on here? I've scoured a few forums/reddit and it does seem to be a thing for some people, but I'm having a tough time determining whether this is faulty hardware, a software issue, or maybe some sort of bandwidth issue related to the HDMI cable or something. The fact that it seems to exclusively occur during 4K/HDR content made me think it might've been something like the latter. The fact that toggling Deep Colour setting makes the video signal come back leads me to believe there's some freaky handshake issue occurring with the X and the B7 of some kind. I'm enjoying the console a great deal so I'm hoping I can figure this out, ideally without having to ship the thing in and have MS crack it open so they can likely send me a note that says there's nothing wrong with it (it's a Scorpio Edition, as well).
post #4422 of 7012 Old 01-11-2018, 07:31 PM

And not to mention, thanks in advance!
post #4423 of 7012 Old 01-11-2018, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 2299 Post(s)
Liked: 2604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
Hi there,

New user here, and an owner of the XB1X since launch paired with an LG B7. Just wanted to get some input from some of you who have the console and maybe the same TV on whether or not you've encountered any issues with the HDMI signal dropping randomly. Haven't read through the whole thread yet so I'm not sure if anything like this has been mentioned. The issue is as follows:

The screen will go black and suddenly display some greyish static/noise for a few seconds and then revert to its screensaver page as though there's no HDMI signal detected. It doesn't seem to come back on its own. Unplugging the HDMI cable and replugging it solves the issue, as does switching off HDMI deep colour in the settings and switching it back on again. From what I can tell so far, the issue seems isolated to HDR content (specifically HDR gaming. I haven't tried any movies yet), and sometimes occurs when performing the actual switch from SDR to HDR when a game boots up, but other times randomly during HDR gameplay.

I've tried: power cycling the console, console reset, swapping HDMI cables with PS4 Pro, switching TV inputs, and fiddling with various settings like colour depth and "Allow YCC 4:2:2", but I can't seem to shake the issue. Right now I'm trialing having the "Allow YCC 4:2:2" unchecked again to see if it has any effect.

Has anyone had issues like this on here? I've scoured a few forums/reddit and it does seem to be a thing for some people, but I'm having a tough time determining whether this is faulty hardware, a software issue, or maybe some sort of bandwidth issue related to the HDMI cable or something. The fact that it seems to exclusively occur during 4K/HDR content made me think it might've been something like the latter. The fact that toggling Deep Colour setting makes the video signal come back leads me to believe there's some freaky handshake issue occurring with the X and the B7 of some kind. I'm enjoying the console a great deal so I'm hoping I can figure this out, ideally without having to ship the thing in and have MS crack it open so they can likely send me a note that says there's nothing wrong with it (it's a Scorpio Edition, as well).
I have a similar TV, the E6 and while I haven't seen the issue you are describing with the X, I have seen it with the Apple TV 4K I have in that room. The same issue, the flash of gray static but the ATV recovers. I realized that I was using an older cable that wasn't up to snuff and swapped it out and it was resolved.

You mentioned that you swapped HDMI cables, were you using the one that came with the X initially? Also is it wired directly into the TV or are you going through an AVR?
post #4424 of 7012 Old 01-11-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
I have a similar TV, the E6 and while I haven't seen the issue you are describing with the X, I have seen it with the Apple TV 4K I have in that room. The same issue, the flash of gray static but the ATV recovers. I realized that I was using an older cable that wasn't up to snuff and swapped it out and it was resolved.

You mentioned that you swapped HDMI cables, were you using the one that came with the X initially? Also is it wired directly into the TV or are you going through an AVR?
Yeah I've been using the one that came with the X and have it plugged directly in to the TV, no intermediate equipment. I tried it for a while with the PS4 Pro's HDMI cable and the issue recurred. I'm holding out some hope that having YCC 4:2:2 unchecked might rectify the issue (can't recall if I tried it for very long with past troubleshooting), as it sounds as though people can have 4K/HDR issues one way or the other and that checking/unchecking this setting can rectify it.

I've never had these issues with HDR gaming on PS4 Pro with the same TV.
post #4425 of 7012 Old 01-12-2018, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
...The issue is as follows: The screen will go black and suddenly display some greyish static/noise for a few seconds and then revert to its screensaver page as though there's no HDMI signal detected. It doesn't seem to come back on its own ... Has anyone had issues like this on here? ...
Yes, I have what I believe is the exact same problem using my X with a Sony Z9D LED TV. I believe I have isolated the issue to HDR content (game or streaming; also haven't tried Blu-ray). I resolve the problem by power-cycling my TV, although I'd bet your solutions would work for me, too. It happens to me maybe once a week or so; I spend a few hours every day with my X. How often on your system?

I've seen one or two other users post the same or similar issue. My guess it's an issue with the X as I don't have any problems with any other sources. My cables are all the same Premium Certified and I am using an AVR (actually, a pre-amp).

PS: I forgot mention that I had been using an Xbox One S in the exact same setup - 4K, HDR - with no issues. So, again, I suspect an issue with the X.

Last edited by EllisGJ; 01-12-2018 at 08:40 AM.
post #4426 of 7012 Old 01-12-2018, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1798 Post(s)
Liked: 4061
Quote:
Yeah I've been using the one that came with the X and have it plugged directly in to the TV, no intermediate equipment. I tried it for a while with the PS4 Pro's HDMI cable and the issue recurred.
What you are describing sounds like bandwidth limitation*, which usually points to the HDMI cable(s). Yet you mentioned a direct connection from console to TV with the MS supplied cable, so you should be good to go.

Have you tried a different HDMI input on the TV?

*4K + 60Hz + 10 bit HDR is right at the top end of the 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 bandwidth pipeline.

Last edited by DaverJ; 01-12-2018 at 08:46 AM.
post #4427 of 7012 Old 01-12-2018, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post
yes, my Xbox One X and One S are perfectly great for gaming. I'm upgrading my PC for other non-gaming reasons including 4K video editing. I felt the pain for RAM prices. Slogging along on a RX480 while waiting for a newer card but all good GPUs are now priced so high because of the mining craze. I could buy a 1080 now for only $500 because apparently it's not a great mining GPU. But I want a newer card that handles more video-related tasks (more h.265 and better h.264 options, etc. etc.)
Oh I feel ya on that! I've got a "decent" system. It's an i7-3770 overclocked to 4.1 GHz, with 24 GB of ram. Had it for a while. The only weak point is the HD7970 which still, for such an old card, runs rather well! I'm constantly surprised at what it can handle. I would love to upgrade the vid card just for VR so that my Vive can look better, but not at those prices. It sucks, but you know - supply and demand, and all that. It's a free market. Just means I won't be upgrading for a while.
onlysublime likes this.

Samsung KS8000, Denon AVR-X3300W, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K bluray player, Himedia Q5 Pro android box
post #4428 of 7012 Old 01-12-2018, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 509
MS supplied HDMI cable usually is average quality at best.
post #4429 of 7012 Old 01-12-2018, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 3358 Post(s)
Liked: 8548
I highly Recommend Monoprice Certified Premium cables, Guaranteed to work!

My longest run is 25' for my JVC projector and was only $19

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427

(also available on amazon)

If your cable doesn't carry a Premium Certified label from HDMI.org, passing 4K/60 is a gamble

Bandwidth requirements for HDMI 2.0, Max is 18Gbps 600MHz

and HDR requires at least 10Bit

Source: http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/uhd-101-v2/

My JVC X750 passes 4K/60 HDR 4:2:2 12 Bit (17.8Gbps 593MHz)

Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk, 4k/UHD torture test: (Only current 4K/UHD/HDR bluray with 60p instead of the usual 24p)

...and confirmed by my HDFury Vertex (green text along the bottom of the screen)

I'll be checking my new X1X Scorpio soon

DaverJ and JRock3x8 like this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 01-16-2018 at 01:32 PM.
post #4430 of 7012 Old 01-12-2018, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 2299 Post(s)
Liked: 2604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
MS supplied HDMI cable usually is average quality at best.
The cable that comes with the One X is more than capable, unless it is faulty.

I have shown in this thread running my Oppo at 12-bit 4:2:2 60hz with a 60FPS source without issue, using the One X cable.
Geronimo.USMC likes this.
post #4431 of 7012 Old 01-12-2018, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Hi there,

Hey man - Congrats - I love the console as well.

Your issue absolutely sounds like a handshake issue. If you haven't already, I would try to isolate the issue by first determining if your HDMI cable is somehow faulty. Switch that bitch out.

Fre

XBOX Live: OREG0N DUCKS 01
TV: Sony 940e
AVR: Denon S920W
Speakers Polk Signature S60
Console of Choice: Scorpio
post #4432 of 7012 Old 01-12-2018, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
I highly Recommend Monoprice Certified Premium cables, Guaranteed to work!

My longest run is 25' for my JVC projector and was only $19

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427
thank you - noticed your sig shows 7.4.4 - can you show me how that's wired?
post #4433 of 7012 Old 01-12-2018, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 3358 Post(s)
Liked: 8548
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
thank you - noticed your sig shows 7.4.4 - can you show me how that's wired?
My Yamaha RX-A3050 has 11 channel processing, (9 internal amps) and two sub pre-outs
I put a Y Splitter on the Front Sub out, and another Y on the Rear Sub out for Front/Rear pairs
(Each pair getting their own EQ, Delay/Distance, and each pair equidistant from the MLP)

Because my main processor only has 9 internal amplifiers, I utilized an older Yamaha (RX-V3900 AVR)
as the amp for my 4 Height/ATMOS speakers by running the Presence/Height speaker pre-outs from the RX-A3050
to the RX-V3900's Multi-Channel inputs with analog RCA cables. Then run YPAO room calibration on the main unit only.

The result is more headroom in the RX-A3050 since it only has to power the 7 bed layer (ear level) speakers.
By having the 4 ATMOS speakers on their own dedicated amp, I can add extra volume to all 4 Height speakers
with a simple volume bump of a few dB.

Steps required to re-purpose an old AVR as an external amp detailed here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...-speakers.html
JRock3x8 likes this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
post #4434 of 7012 Old 01-12-2018, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My Yamaha RX-A3050 has 11 channel processing, (9 internal amps) and two sub pre-outs
I put a Y Splitter on the Front Sub out, and another Y on the Rear Sub out for Front/Rear pairs
(Each pair getting their own EQ, Delay/Distance, and each pair equidistant from the MLP)

Because my main processor only has 9 internal amplifiers, I utilized an older Yamaha (RX-V3900 AVR)
as the amp for my 4 Height/ATMOS speakers by running the Presence/Height speaker pre-outs from the RX-A3050
to the RX-V3900's Multi-Channel inputs with analog RCA cables. Then run YPAO room calibration on the main unit only.

The result is more headroom in the RX-A3050 since it only has to power the 7 bed layer (ear level) speakers.
By having the 4 ATMOS speakers on their own dedicated amp, I can add extra volume to all 4 Height speakers
with a simple volume bump of a few dB.

Steps required to re-purpose an old AVR as an external amp detailed here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...-speakers.html
so the 4 speakers are really two channels?
post #4435 of 7012 Old 01-12-2018, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Which 4 "speakers" are you referring to?

I have 4 dedicated ATMOS speakers, each with their own channel

Technically all Subs only play .1

adding additional subs is for balancing the bass response across the entire room

so no listening position is placed in a null (aka room modes). Plus it looks Bad Ass

...but I think you already knew that?

Struggling to understand how the pre out gives info for 4 channels.

also it doesn’t look like my onkyo 656 will do this trick anyways.

post #4436 of 7012 Old 01-12-2018, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok yah I can’t do that. Thanks for the lesson tho.

post #4437 of 7012 Old 01-12-2018, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked: 2295
Guys:

We've had a couple reports about off topic discussions. Let take the audio discussion to the proper forum.

Thanks
Ron
steven_j05 likes this.
post #4438 of 7012 Old 01-12-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisGJ View Post
Yes, I have what I believe is the exact same problem using my X with a Sony Z9D LED TV. I believe I have isolated the issue to HDR content (game or streaming; also haven't tried Blu-ray). I resolve the problem by power-cycling my TV, although I'd bet your solutions would work for me, too. It happens to me maybe once a week or so; I spend a few hours every day with my X. How often on your system?

I've seen one or two other users post the same or similar issue. My guess it's an issue with the X as I don't have any problems with any other sources. My cables are all the same Premium Certified and I am using an AVR (actually, a pre-amp).

PS: I forgot mention that I had been using an Xbox One S in the exact same setup - 4K, HDR - with no issues. So, again, I suspect an issue with the X.
Yeah and as I've said, I've also run other systems through the same TV/swapped cables etc. and it doesn't seem to rectify the issue. I haven't ordered any "Premium Certified" cables yet and have only tried the ones supplied with the systems (XB1X, PS4 Pro), but it will still seem to do it. It's fairly sporadic in frequency- I've seen it happen a couple times a day, and not happen for several days on end. Goofy issues like this that are so hard to recreate make me hesitant to ship it in to MS, as I assume they'd find nothing wrong with it (a user on Reddit has this exact issue and received a note in the box saying his console's working normally).
post #4439 of 7012 Old 01-12-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
What you are describing sounds like bandwidth limitation*, which usually points to the HDMI cable(s). Yet you mentioned a direct connection from console to TV with the MS supplied cable, so you should be good to go.

Have you tried a different HDMI input on the TV?

*4K + 60Hz + 10 bit HDR is right at the top end of the 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 bandwidth pipeline.
I have tried a different input with the same results. I was also wondering if it was somehow a bandwidth limitation of some kind. Even though I haven't had this happen with something like PS4 Pro using the same cables/inputs, is it possible that the data the X is sending through the cable is occasionally "spiking" above its bandwidth limitation or something due to its higher fidelity relative to other systems? (Actual 4K with HDR, etc.)
post #4440 of 7012 Old 01-12-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie Harb View Post
Hey man - Congrats - I love the console as well.

Your issue absolutely sounds like a handshake issue. If you haven't already, I would try to isolate the issue by first determining if your HDMI cable is somehow faulty. Switch that bitch out.

Fre
Thanks Freddie...I hope to get to the bottom of the whole thing eventually. As mentioned, I've tried one other cable (PS4 Pro's) and the issue did recur so I'm starting to suspect it may not be a cable issue, though I'm not 100 percent sure. It seems odd that it would be a straight hardware problem given the fact that I can do something like toggle the LG's deep colour option on and off and have the picture return again. Does seem a bit handshake-ish in nature, though it's odd that it can happen randomly in the middle of content, rather than just when the switch is being made from SDR to HDR.

...Also just realized I ate up three posts in responding to different users. Probably could've done a bit of consolidation there.

Thanks guys.
Freddie Harb likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
enhanced , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page