The Official Xbox One X thread - Page 158 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3688Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4711 of 6820 Old 01-31-2018, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b_scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 7,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
I will say that I played a bunch of the Sea of Thieves beta over the weekend and had an absolute blast. Primarily played it on PC and only briefly tested it on the Xbox but my friends and I really enjoyed it. I also like how it is cross play, which should help keep the server populated.
I love it. I'm excited for the expanded content in the released version.
b_scott is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4712 of 6820 Old 01-31-2018, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
Lonewolf7002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
I love it. I'm excited for the expanded content in the released version.

What did you all like about it so much? I've seen the trailers but wasn't impressed by what I saw. The graphics looked really basic, and cannonballing to another ship looks fun once or twice, but I didn't see anything to draw me in. But I admit I haven't looked to in depth into it.

Samsung KS8000, Denon AVR-X3300W, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K bluray player, Himedia Q5 Pro android box
Lonewolf7002 is offline  
post #4713 of 6820 Old 01-31-2018, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b_scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 7,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf7002 View Post
What did you all like about it so much? I've seen the trailers but wasn't impressed by what I saw. The graphics looked really basic, and cannonballing to another ship looks fun once or twice, but I didn't see anything to draw me in. But I admit I haven't looked to in depth into it.
The graphics are cartooney as an art style. Think of how Borderlands chose that cell shaded look.

It's just straight up fun. Getting a crew together to work a ship - turning sails and driving the ship, collecting cannonballs to use against other ships, avoiding sharks and skeleton enemies, looking at maps and trying to find buried treasure, turning it in for money and levels, to get better gear or new clothes. It's just good fun using teamwork and chatting with friends or even randoms.

You can't and shouldn't compare the graphics to realistic games - this isn't a realistic game. The water is amazing though.
It's like being inside a treasure hunting cartoon. It's goofy and fun.
b_scott is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4714 of 6820 Old 01-31-2018, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,296
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked: 2532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf7002 View Post
What did you all like about it so much? I've seen the trailers but wasn't impressed by what I saw. The graphics looked really basic, and cannonballing to another ship looks fun once or twice, but I didn't see anything to draw me in. But I admit I haven't looked to in depth into it.
To each their own, if you think their art direction is "basic" but the game on a technical level is graphically impressive and they nail the style.

A game like Sea of Thieves doesn't show well in trailers and sizzle reels because it is all about the exploration and co-op. For me it was working with 3 of my buddies to figure out the riddles, where to go next, managing the sails, watching the wind, avoiding other players, then lastly the risk vs. reward aspect.

Basically each quest you take on, you have to find a hidden chest that you need to bring back to an outpost. You can do a bunch in a row and stockpile them to turn in all at once but you run the risk of coming across other players, getting into a battle and then they sink your ship and take all your chests.

The beta was limited as far as what is going to be in the final release but the combination of exploration and strategy with friends was highly entertaining for me.
mutelight is offline  
post #4715 of 6820 Old 01-31-2018, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
Lonewolf7002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 538
In the trailer I saw, it came across as very basic graphics - like something I would expect on my android tablet. Except for the water, that looks good! You are right, the trailers sure don't really show off the game since I didn't get all that out of it. Doesn't seem too bad. It sounds like it is intended as coop tho. Bummer. I don't know anyone who would pick this up.

Samsung KS8000, Denon AVR-X3300W, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K bluray player, Himedia Q5 Pro android box
Lonewolf7002 is offline  
post #4716 of 6820 Old 01-31-2018, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b_scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 7,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf7002 View Post
In the trailer I saw, it came across as very basic graphics - like something I would expect on my android tablet. Except for the water, that looks good! You are right, the trailers sure don't really show off the game since I didn't get all that out of it. Doesn't seem too bad. It sounds like it is intended as coop tho. Bummer. I don't know anyone who would pick this up.
Again though, they're good cartoon graphics. they're not meant to look like Call of Duty realism. That would be a bad look for this game. It's a lighthearted game and if it were realistic it wouldn't work.

You don't need friends playing. Just use a mic and talk to your crew - had a great time with full crews of randoms the entire beta and alpha.
b_scott is offline  
post #4717 of 6820 Old 01-31-2018, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
ROMIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 687
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 238
The Official Xbox One X thread

Nintendo also has "basic" graphics on Mario Odyssey and Zelda on the Switch, but when you sit down and play the games it all just seems right and the worlds and art design are amazing. Even if the graphics are technically inferior, the games are undoubtedly superior to other games with all the graphical bells and whistles.
ROMIL is offline  
post #4718 of 6820 Old 01-31-2018, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
Lonewolf7002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
Again though, they're good cartoon graphics. they're not meant to look like Call of Duty realism. That would be a bad look for this game. It's a lighthearted game and if it were realistic it wouldn't work.

You don't need friends playing. Just use a mic and talk to your crew - had a great time with full crews of randoms the entire beta and alpha.
Maybe I'll look for someone streaming the game to get a better idea. Graphics don't matter as much as good game play, but when it's a new game that looks like it would be at home on the original xbox it doesn't exactly catch my eye lol! At least, from what I saw anyway. I haven't had good luck doing coop with randoms, too many times in the past it has degenerated to arguing and insults and people getting upset with each other. I don't have time for that!

I've been hearing good things about it tho, so I'm obviously missing something.

Samsung KS8000, Denon AVR-X3300W, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K bluray player, Himedia Q5 Pro android box
Lonewolf7002 is offline  
post #4719 of 6820 Old 01-31-2018, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,296
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked: 2532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf7002 View Post
Maybe I'll look for someone streaming the game to get a better idea. Graphics don't matter as much as good game play, but when it's a new game that looks like it would be at home on the original xbox it doesn't exactly catch my eye lol! At least, from what I saw anyway. I haven't had good luck doing coop with randoms, too many times in the past it has degenerated to arguing and insults and people getting upset with each other. I don't have time for that!

I've been hearing good things about it tho, so I'm obviously missing something.
Watching someone stream any game is a bad way to get a good read on the graphics since they are realtime single pass encodes and low bitrate. If you want to explicitly judge the visuals you'd be better off looking for game screenshots. YouTube can give you a slightly better idea but it is still highly compressed.

Hopefully there is an open beta you can try so you can judge yourself since the graphics are objectively technically strong as is the scale of the game, it just seems you don't like the art style.
mutelight is offline  
post #4720 of 6820 Old 01-31-2018, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RafaelSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Orlando Fl
Posts: 3,013
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 645

DF Analysis of Monster Hunter World.

I am enjoying Monster Hunter World but found the differences in graphics settings somewhat disappointing.

At first I was using "Prioritize Frame rate" but then switched to "Prioritize Graphics" and found pretty much the same thing DF foundry did. Can hardly tell a difference in performance yet the graphics look quite a bit better in Graphics mode -vs- Frame Rate.

Prioritize Resolution is perhaps the most disappointing for me since it is sluggish and really does not produce the improvement one would expect.

Unfortunately, the overall inconsistent frame rates is not ideal for this style of combat. I tend to agree with DF that a frame rate lock is really needed.

Also, in all modes something just seems off with overall brightness....overly bright and dull. In game adjustments for color seem to not do much if anything. Maybe just something with my setup/TV.

Last edited by RafaelSmith; 01-31-2018 at 11:55 AM.
RafaelSmith is offline  
post #4721 of 6820 Old 01-31-2018, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
Lonewolf7002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
Watching someone stream any game is a bad way to get a good read on the graphics since they are realtime single pass encodes and low bitrate. If you want to explicitly judge the visuals you'd be better off looking for game screenshots. YouTube can give you a slightly better idea but it is still highly compressed.

Hopefully there is an open beta you can try so you can judge yourself since the graphics are objectively technically strong as is the scale of the game, it just seems you don't like the art style.
I seem to have hit a sore spot with my comments on the graphics. I hope I didn't trigger anyone! I've been checking out some Twitch streams and the graphics remind me of Team Fortress 2, which was fine 10 years ago. Although they do look better then in the initial stuff I saw. I will say that the water looks fantastic!!! I could be tempted just for the water alone lol! And the lighting is well done. I'll keep watching some streams to get a better feel for the game. It might be worth checking out for $10 through Games Pass when it gets released.

Is it a MUST that it's coop? Or can I explore and run a ship by myself?

Samsung KS8000, Denon AVR-X3300W, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K bluray player, Himedia Q5 Pro android box
Lonewolf7002 is offline  
post #4722 of 6820 Old 01-31-2018, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
onlysublime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Orange County
Posts: 6,867
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 1638
Monster Hunter World definitely deserves a dedicated thread apparently!

The concept sounds cool but I guess I don't have the amount of time this game requires. My attention span is probably too short. My fav game is Rainbow Six Siege and matches in that are like 5 minutes and less. Haha. So the idea of spending an hour killing 1 monster sounds crazy.

I'll pick it up down the road though. A lot of friends have it and right now, it's kind of buggy. And with my backlog, getting it later won't hurt.
onlysublime is offline  
post #4723 of 6820 Old 01-31-2018, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,296
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked: 2532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf7002 View Post
I seem to have hit a sore spot with my comments on the graphics. I hope I didn't trigger anyone! I've been checking out some Twitch streams and the graphics remind me of Team Fortress 2, which was fine 10 years ago. Although they do look better then in the initial stuff I saw. I will say that the water looks fantastic!!! I could be tempted just for the water alone lol! And the lighting is well done. I'll keep watching some streams to get a better feel for the game. It might be worth checking out for $10 through Games Pass when it gets released.

Is it a MUST that it's coop? Or can I explore and run a ship by myself?
No sore spot at all, just trying to help out by explaining that you are conflating your subjective view of the art style/direction which is an aesthetic decision versus the technical/objective side which is graphics. (And also that Twitch has a big hit image quality.)

It can be played solo with a single person ship which is faster and more nimble than the 2 and 4 person ships so you can escape from battles but can also handle a lot less damage.
DaverJ and Northern_Lights like this.
mutelight is offline  
post #4724 of 6820 Old 01-31-2018, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b_scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 7,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf7002 View Post
I seem to have hit a sore spot with my comments on the graphics. I hope I didn't trigger anyone! I've been checking out some Twitch streams and the graphics remind me of Team Fortress 2, which was fine 10 years ago. Although they do look better then in the initial stuff I saw. I will say that the water looks fantastic!!! I could be tempted just for the water alone lol! And the lighting is well done. I'll keep watching some streams to get a better feel for the game. It might be worth checking out for $10 through Games Pass when it gets released.

Is it a MUST that it's coop? Or can I explore and run a ship by myself?
it doesn't have to be co-op. you can have a solo, small ship.

Graphics are styles now. Super realistic is pretty rampant these days and sometimes it's tiring. Good to have options.

It's very TF2, but also Fortnite (just came out)
DaverJ likes this.
b_scott is offline  
post #4725 of 6820 Old 01-31-2018, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
Lonewolf7002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
No sore spot at all, just trying to help out by explaining that you are conflating your subjective view of the art style/direction which is an aesthetic decision versus the technical/objective side which is graphics. (And also that Twitch has a big hit image quality.)

It can be played solo with a single person ship which is faster and more nimble than the 2 and 4 person ships so you can escape from battles but can also handle a lot less damage.
No conflating. I don't care for the art style, AND I feel the graphics are somewhat simple. Why can't it be both? And I realize that Twitch loses quality but it's not like a bit more detail or a bit sharper image is going to change my opinion. But again, as stated previously, graphics quality isn't that important if the gameplay is good. If graphics were all that mattered, I wouldn't have been playing Nethack on the weekend :P The cartoony style did not grab my eye initially, but I've been willing to look into it more based on the conversations here.

Samsung KS8000, Denon AVR-X3300W, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K bluray player, Himedia Q5 Pro android box
Lonewolf7002 is offline  
post #4726 of 6820 Old 01-31-2018, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
boltsfan21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: California
Posts: 789
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf7002 View Post
I seem to have hit a sore spot with my comments on the graphics. I hope I didn't trigger anyone! I've been checking out some Twitch streams and the graphics remind me of Team Fortress 2, which was fine 10 years ago. Although they do look better then in the initial stuff I saw. I will say that the water looks fantastic!!! I could be tempted just for the water alone lol! And the lighting is well done. I'll keep watching some streams to get a better feel for the game. It might be worth checking out for $10 through Games Pass when it gets released.

Is it a MUST that it's coop? Or can I explore and run a ship by myself?
I feel the same way. The graphics of Sea of Thieves don't do much for me. Maybe I'm spoiled after playing games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Assassin's Creed Origins, etc. I'm just not a big fan of the cartoon style graphics. I put a good number of hours into the game in the closed beta, but I don't think I'll end up buying it. I found Sea of Thieves to be rather boring and repetitive. Sailing around fighting skeletons and occasionally finding treasure chests just got old to me really fast. Sure it was fun at first fighting other ships, but that got old to me. For me personally, there just isn't enough to do in this game. It's really not fun sailing around for hours and finding treasure just to buy a new shirt.

Last edited by boltsfan21; 01-31-2018 at 01:02 PM.
boltsfan21 is offline  
post #4727 of 6820 Old 01-31-2018, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
boltsfan21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: California
Posts: 789
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
No sore spot at all, just trying to help out by explaining that you are conflating your subjective view of the art style/direction which is an aesthetic decision versus the technical/objective side which is graphics. (And also that Twitch has a big hit image quality.)

It can be played solo with a single person ship which is faster and more nimble than the 2 and 4 person ships so you can escape from battles but can also handle a lot less damage.
The 4 person ship is actually faster than the single person ship. The caveat is you need a competent crew that knows how to manage the sails properly, but that's really not too difficult. Most of my time playing was done solo on the single person ship. The majority of time when I came across a bigger ship, I was sunk since I couldn't outrun the bigger ship. The times I was able to escape was just due to the fact the other players weren't managing the sails properly. The game is extremely unbalanced I feel. The single player ship needs to be faster.
boltsfan21 is offline  
post #4728 of 6820 Old 01-31-2018, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,296
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked: 2532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf7002 View Post
No conflating. I don't care for the art style, AND I feel the graphics are somewhat simple. Why can't it be both? And I realize that Twitch loses quality but it's not like a bit more detail or a bit sharper image is going to change my opinion. But again, as stated previously, graphics quality isn't that important if the gameplay is good. If graphics were all that mattered, I wouldn't have been playing Nethack on the weekend :P The cartoony style did not grab my eye initially, but I've been willing to look into it more based on the conversations here.
If they are simple and they are "original Xbox" (your words) graphics, why is the game locked at 30fps on the One and One X?
mutelight is offline  
post #4729 of 6820 Old 01-31-2018, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,296
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked: 2532
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfan21 View Post
The 4 person ship is actually faster than the single person ship. The caveat is you need a competent crew that knows how to manage the sails properly, but that's really not too difficult. Most of my time playing was done solo on the single person ship. The majority of time when I came across a bigger ship, I was sunk since I couldn't outrun the bigger ship. The times I was able to escape was just due to the fact the other players weren't managing the sails properly. The game is extremely unbalanced I feel. The single player ship needs to be faster.
Yeah I guess I should have only said nimble/maneuverable rather than faster. With all three sails down the 4 person ship can build up enough speed to really get going but takes longer to take turns and whatnot.

I am sure part of the reason of the closed beta was to work on tuning and balancing which they'll like continually tweak far past the March launch.
mutelight is offline  
post #4730 of 6820 Old 01-31-2018, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
boltsfan21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: California
Posts: 789
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
Yeah I guess I should have only said nimble/maneuverable rather than faster. With all three sails down the 4 person ship can build up enough speed to really get going but takes longer to take turns and whatnot.

I am sure part of the reason of the closed beta was to work on tuning and balancing which they'll like continually tweak far past the March launch.
I do think the game has potential so I'm not completely going to dismiss Sea of Thieves yet. I was reading your other posts and sounds like you enjoyed the game. I think I had a ton of bad luck spawning on ships with useless crews. First time playing, I was on the 4 man ship. One player was constantly dropping the anchor in the middle of the ocean. Another time playing, some idiot started firing a canon on an island we stopped at and sank the ship. I ended up just playing solo the rest of the closed beta.

I actually did enjoy a counter I had last night. I had been sailing around for about an hour and came across a big ship. They were trying to sink me but were shooting from too far away. I assume they had run out of canon balls because they fired a lot and then stopped. About 5 minutes later, I came across another solo player. We joined forces with our two ships and chased down the large ship. I guess it had been trying to sink him as well. I sailed in front of the ship and the other player sailed behind the ship and we both started firing our canons at the same time. We ended up sinking the ship.

I wish there was a neutral area where you could meet other players and form a crew instead of just spawning into a random crew. If there were enough AVSers playing, I would be open to keeping my preorder. Sea of Thieves probably would have been more enjoyable playing with competent players.
boltsfan21 is offline  
post #4731 of 6820 Old 01-31-2018, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
Lonewolf7002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
If they are simple and they are "original Xbox" (your words) graphics, why is the game locked at 30fps on the One and One X?
The water? It does look fantastic. Watching the Twitch streams reminds me of when I sailed on the HMS Bounty II. That was a fun time.

Good to know about the single person ships. I'm not sold on it yet, but I'll keep an eye on the game.

Samsung KS8000, Denon AVR-X3300W, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K bluray player, Himedia Q5 Pro android box
Lonewolf7002 is offline  
post #4732 of 6820 Old 01-31-2018, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
boltsfan21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: California
Posts: 789
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf7002 View Post
The water? It does look fantastic. Watching the Twitch streams reminds me of when I sailed on the HMS Bounty II. That was a fun time.

Good to know about the single person ships. I'm not sold on it yet, but I'll keep an eye on the game.
The water does look fantastic. The waves look pretty cool when you are sailing through a thunderstorm. The lighting is pretty well done too. The sunsets look pretty amazing in the game. The thunderstorms off in the distance with the lighting in the clouds looks cool.
boltsfan21 is offline  
post #4733 of 6820 Old 01-31-2018, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,296
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked: 2532
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfan21 View Post
I do think the game has potential so I'm not completely going to dismiss Sea of Thieves yet. I was reading your other posts and sounds like you enjoyed the game. I think I had a ton of bad luck spawning on ships with useless crews. First time playing, I was on the 4 man ship. One player was constantly dropping the anchor in the middle of the ocean. Another time playing, some idiot started firing a canon on an island we stopped at and sank the ship. I ended up just playing solo the rest of the closed beta.

I actually did enjoy a counter I had last night. I had been sailing around for about an hour and came across a big ship. They were trying to sink me but were shooting from too far away. I assume they had run out of canon balls because they fired a lot and then stopped. About 5 minutes later, I came across another solo player. We joined forces with our two ships and chased down the large ship. I guess it had been trying to sink him as well. I sailed in front of the ship and the other player sailed behind the ship and we both started firing our canons at the same time. We ended up sinking the ship.

I wish there was a neutral area where you could meet other players and form a crew instead of just spawning into a random crew. If there were enough AVSers playing, I would be open to keeping my preorder. Sea of Thieves probably would have been more enjoyable playing with competent players.
I am sure I would have had a much different experience if I wasn't playing with my friends. We were fortunate to have only had one random join our boat and he dropped the anchor once in the middle of the ocean so we voted him into the Brig right away.

Not fully sold on the game myself either but still looking forward to playing it come March. The huge environment/scale lends itself well to a fair amount of content to be in there but the beta was fairly shallow and limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf7002 View Post
The water? It does look fantastic. Watching the Twitch streams reminds me of when I sailed on the HMS Bounty II. That was a fun time.

Good to know about the single person ships. I'm not sold on it yet, but I'll keep an eye on the game.
Hahaha, well I'll give you a couple points for trying.
mutelight is offline  
post #4734 of 6820 Old 01-31-2018, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b_scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 7,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf7002 View Post
No conflating. I don't care for the art style, AND I feel the graphics are somewhat simple. Why can't it be both? And I realize that Twitch loses quality but it's not like a bit more detail or a bit sharper image is going to change my opinion. But again, as stated previously, graphics quality isn't that important if the gameplay is good. If graphics were all that mattered, I wouldn't have been playing Nethack on the weekend :P The cartoony style did not grab my eye initially, but I've been willing to look into it more based on the conversations here.
Why don't Pixar films look like Avatar? They surely have the technology.

It's because that's not the look and feel they wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfan21 View Post
I feel the same way. The graphics of Sea of Thieves don't do much for me. Maybe I'm spoiled after playing games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Assassin's Creed Origins, etc. I'm just not a big fan of the cartoon style graphics. I put a good number of hours into the game in the closed beta, but I don't think I'll end up buying it. I found Sea of Thieves to be rather boring and repetitive. Sailing around fighting skeletons and occasionally finding treasure chests just got old to me really fast. Sure it was fun at first fighting other ships, but that got old to me. For me personally, there just isn't enough to do in this game. It's really not fun sailing around for hours and finding treasure just to buy a new shirt.
it's a tech beta. It's sparse compared to the real game. Just think of it as a game with 75% of it turned off. It will be much more interesting.
b_scott is offline  
post #4735 of 6820 Old 01-31-2018, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
boltsfan21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: California
Posts: 789
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
I am sure I would have had a much different experience if I wasn't playing with my friends. We were fortunate to have only had one random join our boat and he dropped the anchor once in the middle of the ocean so we voted him into the Brig right away.

Not fully sold on the game myself either but still looking forward to playing it come March. The huge environment/scale lends itself well to a fair amount of content to be in there but the beta was fairly shallow and limited.
My issue with Xbox is I have no friends. All my friends are on the PS4. When I bought the One X, I was just going to use it for single player games and my PS4 for multiplayer games. When Sea of Thieves was announced, I was pretty intrigued with the game so I preordered it after I purchased the One X.

I agree the content in the beta was fairly limited. I'll keep my eye out on announcements by the developer to learn more about the content in the game. I'm really curious to see how big the world will actually be.
boltsfan21 is offline  
post #4736 of 6820 Old 01-31-2018, 01:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Xbox One X Noise; is this normal?

I just purchased an Xbox One X and noticed it has a pretty audible noise coming from it.

From what I've read, it could be the fan or coil wire, I believe.

I'm hoping someone might be able to tell me if this is normal, or is the unit defective. I had already returned one unit that I think was making the same or similar sound.

The first video is with a game running in the disc drive, and the second one is with the unit just in the dashboard.



Thanks for any feedback or tips on how to fix it.
jtcountry is offline  
post #4737 of 6820 Old 01-31-2018, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b_scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 7,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfan21 View Post
My issue with Xbox is I have no friends. All my friends are on the PS4.
It's still so weird to me to hear this, coming from the Xbox 360 era where almost all multiplayer games were focused on 360 and Live. Sucks that Xbox One got off to such a rocky start, so much that people jumped ship to Sony.

If Backwards Compat would've launched with the X1, without Kinect, and without the controversy - it'd be a completely different world.
aaronwt and DaverJ like this.
b_scott is offline  
post #4738 of 6820 Old 01-31-2018, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RafaelSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Orlando Fl
Posts: 3,013
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfan21 View Post
My issue with Xbox is I have no friends

I have no friends....so I am console neutral =P
RafaelSmith is offline  
post #4739 of 6820 Old 01-31-2018, 04:45 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,964
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9318 Post(s)
Liked: 6002
I have friends on both systems. But I don't play with groups as often as I did with the 360. I look back to the 360 and fondly remember playing a bunch of games with many people around the world for hours at a time. It was so much fun.

I had a PS3 only for BD playback. My hands couldn't handle the PS3 controller because it made my hands ache so bad after just a few minutes. So playing games on the PS3 was not much of an option. Plus I spent my gaming time on the 360 back then.

But with the Ps4, the PS4 controller is much better and I can use it for many hours with no issues. Like I can with the Xbox controller.

The entire reason I have been playing more on the PS4/Ps4 Pro is because of either exclusives or timed exclusives. Like with Destiny. That was the main reason I purchased Destiny on the PS4/Ps4Pro. because of the timed exclusive content they had. And it's ended up being the one of my most played games. Along with Forza Horizon 2 & 3 on the Xbox. Plus when the PS4 Pro came out, the graphics margin was even wider over the Xbox One. So I played even more games on the PS4 Pro.

But since getting the XB1X, the better graphics have shifted over to Xbox. So I am enjoying playing some older games again with better graphics on it. But since I'm already entrenched with the PS4 with games like Destiny 2. The PS4 pro is still getting over half of my game play.

I wish the XB1X and PS4 Pro had been available in 2013. That would have been superb.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #4740 of 6820 Old 01-31-2018, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
boltsfan21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: California
Posts: 789
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
It's still so weird to me to hear this, coming from the Xbox 360 era where almost all multiplayer games were focused on 360 and Live. Sucks that Xbox One got off to such a rocky start, so much that people jumped ship to Sony.

If Backwards Compat would've launched with the X1, without Kinect, and without the controversy - it'd be a completely different world.
It is odd how things ended up between Sony and Microsoft given the fact Microsoft had over a year head start on Sony with multiplayer games. I did buy a 360, but that was well after release. By the time I bought the 360, the Playstation Network was already out. Back then, the majority of my friends and I were always playing Battlefield 1943 on the PS3. I really never used my 360 much and ended up giving it away. I did have quite a few friends that had the Xbox 360, but mostly everyone I know switched to the PS3 because it had a blu ray player. When the PS4 came out, pretty much all my friends and myself were exclusively using that. It does make you wonder how things would have turned out had Microsoft not dropped the ball with the X1 release.
boltsfan21 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
enhanced , xbox one x

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off