The Official Xbox One X thread - Page 159 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3724Likes

post #4741 of 6925 Old 01-31-2018, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked: 650
IMO with the XB1 Microsoft forgot that above all gaming was the reason for the console's existence. All the Kinect BS and trying to be the center/"one" of the entertainment center was trying to be to much. Games and Gaming took a back seat.
Datagg likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4742 of 6925 Old 01-31-2018, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
IMO with the XB1 Microsoft forgot that above all gaming was the reason for the console's existence. All the Kinect BS and trying to be the center/"one" of the entertainment center was trying to be to much. Games and Gaming took a back seat.

Yeah they really porked it away on the games front this generation. Too bad since the 1X is such a great piece of hardware.
post #4743 of 6925 Old 01-31-2018, 11:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by markc72 View Post
I have never played a MH before, but this game is really fun IMO. Maybe better to play with friends, but solo is pretty good as well. The things I like are how good the monster AI is. Crazy things can happen at any time. Another monster can come in and attack the one you are attacking or him attacking you out of the blue. The atmosphere is really cool with lots going on and to pick up. Battles can last up to 30 or 45 minutes depending on how you do. Upgrading your armor/weapons is pretty satisfying as well along with your sidekick Palico buddy. But here is what this game is. Get a assignment, battle the monster and gather it's pieces for better armor/weapons and bring it back and repeat again. Feel free to send an a FR (DieHardCubFN) if you want buddy up some time. We have a good group playing now.
Mark nails it pretty good. There is a lot to take in for a first time player of the MH series. This is my first foray into the series and I am doing it solo. One thing I read is try out different weapons. Finding the right one for your style of fighting is key. Not sure what all the negative reviews are, but imagine some are just from some salty people that this game didn't get. I haven't tried online play and I hear it can be a pain in the ass to setup and get going. Graphics are pretty damn good on the X though.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4744 of 6925 Old 02-01-2018, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
Mark nails it pretty good. There is a lot to take in for a first time player of the MH series. This is my first foray into the series and I am doing it solo. One thing I read is try out different weapons. Finding the right one for your style of fighting is key. Not sure what all the negative reviews are, but imagine some are just from some salty people that this game didn't get. I haven't tried online play and I hear it can be a pain in the ass to setup and get going. Graphics are pretty damn good on the X though.
What graphics settings do you use? (Res,Frame Rate, Graphics) ?
post #4745 of 6925 Old 02-01-2018, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcountry View Post
I just purchased an Xbox One X and noticed it has a pretty audible noise coming from it.

From what I've read, it could be the fan or coil wire, I believe.

I'm hoping someone might be able to tell me if this is normal, or is the unit defective. I had already returned one unit that I think was making the same or similar sound.

The first video is with a game running in the disc drive, and the second one is with the unit just in the dashboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4Q0W6hhGt0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ndouy_DLpE

Thanks for any feedback or tips on how to fix it.
I was wondering if anyone could please verify if this sound is normal for the Xbox One X?
post #4746 of 6925 Old 02-01-2018, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 2573
Quote:
I was wondering if anyone could please verify if this sound is normal for the Xbox One X?
I haven't gotten close enough to my One Xs to listen but I can this weekend and see if one or both exhibit that.

It sounds like a bearing in the fan and similar to this person's video. From the comments, it looks like others hear it on theirs as well.

post #4747 of 6925 Old 02-01-2018, 09:21 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9424 Post(s)
Liked: 6105
Sounds like it's time for a warranty replacement. That noise would be extremely annoying.

I got the three year extended warranty from MS on my XB1X Scorpio.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #4748 of 6925 Old 02-01-2018, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfan21 View Post
My issue with Xbox is I have no friends. All my friends are on the PS4. When I bought the One X, I was just going to use it for single player games and my PS4 for multiplayer games. When Sea of Thieves was announced, I was pretty intrigued with the game so I preordered it after I purchased the One X.
If I end up getting the Game Pass when the game comes out, I'll try it out. You are welcome to partner up with me! We can rule the (7?) seas together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
It's still so weird to me to hear this, coming from the Xbox 360 era where almost all multiplayer games were focused on 360 and Live. Sucks that Xbox One got off to such a rocky start, so much that people jumped ship to Sony.

If Backwards Compat would've launched with the X1, without Kinect, and without the controversy - it'd be a completely different world.
So much truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I have friends on both systems. But I don't play with groups as often as I did with the 360. I look back to the 360 and fondly remember playing a bunch of games with many people around the world for hours at a time. It was so much fun.

I had a PS3 only for BD playback. My hands couldn't handle the PS3 controller because it made my hands ache so bad after just a few minutes. So playing games on the PS3 was not much of an option. Plus I spent my gaming time on the 360 back then.
I've noticed that as well with the XB1... on the 360 I had tons of people from all over to game with. I'd get into a match of Halo or something, start chatting with random teammates, party up, and have a blast for the evening. Then we'd end up gaming all the time together. On the X, that hasn't happened at all. The people that I knew on the 360 aren't around anymore, and only a couple friends have XB1's. No one chats in multiplayer anymore - either they are all in parties, or maybe the games don't focus on that or what, but people are never joking around anymore. I miss that about the 360.

I agree with the PS3 as well. I had one for DB playback and media, that's it. The PS3 controller was an abomination lol.
-Kaelis- likes this.

Samsung KS8000, Denon AVR-X3300W, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K bluray player, Himedia Q5 Pro android box
post #4749 of 6925 Old 02-01-2018, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 136
So as a side note, MS just said that there are 59 million live users, which is a 7% increase from last year. The gaming division grew to 3.9 billion revenue growing 8%. Probably the bulk of revenue generated would be Gold. MS cloud services also had a massive growth boost. I am still convinced that the ultimate goal is game streaming. This has been the entire MO of Nadella, and I think he is right. Amazon is the main competitor for cloud services, with Alphabet not too far behind, but neither company has a real gaming division. The gaming market is huge, between consoles and PC, but it is extremely fragmented.

MS recently bought PlayFab for example. I think the long term strategic plan for the gaming division is streaming. If MS controls game streaming, they will not care about hardware. There is limited value in that and only headaches.

That is why I said a few pages back that the ultimate goal for MS is to get out of the console business. They build hardware to push their services. The whole point of the Surface line is also similar. Invigorate the base with innovation, and lead the 3rd party hardware manufacturers to the future. I see consoles as no different. I would rather have a 'PC' with an Xbox 'App' that does absolutely everything an Xbox does, and I think with Windows 10, that can be very easy as it will still remain a closed system. They will not lose Gold because that is still the price to play 'Xbox' and I think if they reach that juncture in the future, PC players will have to pay to play on line. If they get Valve or EA, that will give them market share to be able to do that.

Xbox and PS3 Gamertag = Xerostomia
Wii = I'm too lazy to get the number
post #4750 of 6925 Old 02-01-2018, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 2573
Quote:
Originally Posted by deveng View Post
So as a side note, MS just said that there are 59 million live users, which is a 7% increase from last year. The gaming division grew to 3.9 billion revenue growing 8%. Probably the bulk of revenue generated would be Gold. MS cloud services also had a massive growth boost. I am still convinced that the ultimate goal is game streaming. This has been the entire MO of Nadella, and I think he is right. Amazon is the main competitor for cloud services, with Alphabet not too far behind, but neither company has a real gaming division. The gaming market is huge, between consoles and PC, but it is extremely fragmented.

MS recently bought PlayFab for example. I think the long term strategic plan for the gaming division is streaming. If MS controls game streaming, they will not care about hardware. There is limited value in that and only headaches.

That is why I said a few pages back that the ultimate goal for MS is to get out of the console business. They build hardware to push their services. The whole point of the Surface line is also similar. Invigorate the base with innovation, and lead the 3rd party hardware manufacturers to the future. I see consoles as no different. I would rather have a 'PC' with an Xbox 'App' that does absolutely everything an Xbox does, and I think with Windows 10, that can be very easy as it will still remain a closed system. They will not lose Gold because that is still the price to play 'Xbox' and I think if they reach that juncture in the future, PC players will have to pay to play on line. If they get Valve or EA, that will give them market share to be able to do that.
Game streaming has been around for quite some time already though and hasn't really taken off. Nvidia offers it on their Shield and Sony has offered it for almost three years now. You can play PS3 and PS4 games directly on your smart TV or PC.

I do see continual push to offer game streaming and while the technology is extremely cool and I remember thinking it was one of the most awesome things I have ever seen back in the early OnLive days, it still has many limitations. Things like, degraded image quality as far as compression artifacts and 1080p limited, input lag on top of the display's native input lag, then people with data caps.
newfmp3 likes this.
post #4751 of 6925 Old 02-01-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Sounds like it's time for a warranty replacement. That noise would be extremely annoying.

I got the three year extended warranty from MS on my XB1X Scorpio.

aaronwt, so just to confirm, your Xbox One X doesn't make this sound?

I've noticed that there are quite a few videos of others with similar sounds. I just bought the system 2 days ago, so I could return it to the store for an exchange if it's defective.

However, if this sound is normal, I don't want an Xbox One X, and I'll just stick with gaming on my PS4 Pro. Even though my PS4 Pro's fan can get loud, I don't tend to notice it over the sound of the game, but I guess it's the frequency or type of sound that the Xbox is making, I find to be disturbing.

Thanks for the feedback.
post #4752 of 6925 Old 02-01-2018, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked: 4046
Quote:

I've noticed that there are quite a few videos of others with similar sounds. I just bought the system 2 days ago, so I could return it to the store for an exchange if it's defective.

However, if this sound is normal, I don't want an Xbox One X, and I'll just stick with gaming on my PS4 Pro. Even though my PS4 Pro's fan can get loud, I don't tend to notice it over the sound of the game, but I guess it's the frequency or type of sound that the Xbox is making, I find to be disturbing.
I would suggest exchanging that X, it shouldn't sound like that.

Does the pitch change if you lift up on the console slightly while it's on? I wonder if the unit is vibrating, and what it's sitting on is causing the noise.
post #4753 of 6925 Old 02-01-2018, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
aaronwt, so just to confirm, your Xbox One X doesn't make this sound?

Thanks for the feedback.
My XB1X Scorpio is dead quite. I sit about 8 feet away and can’t hear the unit at all.
I would take it back and swap it out.
newfmp3 and -Kaelis- like this.
post #4754 of 6925 Old 02-01-2018, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 262
I wonder if the LG C7 can handle audio better than the Nvidia Shield. Was thinking on trying the shield option to pass audio to external devices. I have my shield going straight to the TV, with optical to AVR as it doesn't support 4K. The XB1 X is also this way. So again wondering if the LG C7 can handle audio better than the shield can in my situation and i should set it to Pass audio to external devices. Any thoughts?.

LG C7 65"|Xbox One X|PS4 Pro|Nvidia Shield
post #4755 of 6925 Old 02-01-2018, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Terry View Post
My XB1X Scorpio is dead quite. I sit about 8 feet away and can’t hear the unit at all.
Agreed... if I didn't see the power light on or playing something I would never know its on. I would check to see if the surface its on maybe rattling to cause that or perhaps something around it. if not, I would do an exchange. Good luck!!

LG C7 65"|Xbox One X|PS4 Pro|Nvidia Shield
post #4756 of 6925 Old 02-01-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Terry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
I would suggest exchanging that X, it shouldn't sound like that.

Does the pitch change if you lift up on the console slightly while it's on? I wonder if the unit is vibrating, and what it's sitting on is causing the noise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datagg View Post
Agreed... if I didn't see the power light on or playing something I would never know its on. I would check to see if the surface its on maybe rattling to cause that or perhaps something around it. if not, I would do an exchange. Good luck!!
Thanks for all of the feedback. It's much appreciated. I will exchange it and hopefully get one that's whisper quiet. What's interesting is I had bought an Xbox One X before and returned it, but I bought this one because of a promotion and trade credit. The one I had before also made a similar noise. Maybe it's just bad luck.

I have it sitting on the same metal av stand as my PS4 Pro which has open metal bars underneath, and it's sitting on top; so plenty of air on both sides. I tried plugging into my surge protector as well as a different outlet, but it produces the same sounds.

The sound seems to be coming from the back right corner of the Xbox.

I'm thinking if the exchange unit makes the same noise, just being done with the Xbox One X.
Datagg likes this.
post #4757 of 6925 Old 02-01-2018, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What graphics settings do you use? (Res,Frame Rate, Graphics) ?
I'm playing with res. Haven't tried the others yet. Been happy with res. I'll redo some earlier missions on the other settings and see if I can notice any differences.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #4758 of 6925 Old 02-01-2018, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Thanks for all of the feedback. It's much appreciated. I will exchange it and hopefully get one that's whisper quiet. What's interesting is I had bought an Xbox One X before and returned it, but I bought this one because of a promotion and trade credit. The one I had before also made a similar noise. Maybe it's just bad luck.

I have it sitting on the same metal av stand as my PS4 Pro which has open metal bars underneath, and it's sitting on top; so plenty of air on both sides. I tried plugging into my surge protector as well as a different outlet, but it produces the same sounds.

The sound seems to be coming from the back right corner of the Xbox.

I'm thinking if the exchange unit makes the same noise, just being done with the Xbox One X.
I checked out your vids, and my X has never made a sound like that. It either sounds like a bad bearing (unlikely) or a cable resting against the fan. I've had PC's do that when moving cables around. Mine is whisper quiet and I've never heard it making noises.

Samsung KS8000, Denon AVR-X3300W, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K bluray player, Himedia Q5 Pro android box
post #4759 of 6925 Old 02-01-2018, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
I'm playing with res. Haven't tried the others yet. Been happy with res. I'll redo some earlier missions on the other settings and see if I can notice any differences.

I have been using resolution, but after looking at the digial foundry overview, I tried the graphics option that has more lushness to the outdoor area and runs at a higher frame rate, but at 1080P. The resolution is actually lower than the PRO and has less vegitation. Capcom kinda favored PS for this one and gave XB the raw deal. Hopefully they will adjust accordingly.
-Kaelis- likes this.

Come join our adult gaming community at www.syndicatedgaming.com

XBL, PSN, and Steam: diehardcubfn
post #4760 of 6925 Old 02-01-2018, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
The one I had before also made a similar noise. Maybe it's just bad luck...
It strikes me as extremely unlikely that you would get two units with the same or similar problem. Maybe something in your rack is vibrating?

Last edited by EllisGJ; 02-01-2018 at 01:52 PM.
post #4761 of 6925 Old 02-01-2018, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have been using resolution, but after looking at the digial foundry overview, I tried the graphics option that has more lushness to the outdoor area and runs at a higher frame rate, but at 1080P. The resolution is actually lower than the PRO and has less vegitation. Capcom kinda favored PS for this one and gave XB the raw deal. Hopefully they will adjust accordingly.
No wonder why the reviews have been coming in low for the Xbox version @onlysublime . Still a fun game though.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides

Last edited by Arutha_conDoin; 02-01-2018 at 01:26 PM.
post #4762 of 6925 Old 02-01-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisGJ View Post
It strikes me as extremely unlikely that you would get two units with the same or similar problem. Maybe something in your rack is vibrating?
As unlikely as it seems, it's definitely not the rack. I had the XBOX One S sitting in the same spot. I also picked up the XBOX One X off of the rack to re-position it, and it still made the same noise, taking the rack out of the equation.

If you put your hand over the back right corner and press your hand over it, it muffles the sound that the XBOX One X is making.
post #4763 of 6925 Old 02-01-2018, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not sure if its something with my setup or what but something seems off with HDR and Monster Hunter. I turned HDR off and think it looks better....not was washed out/dull. Resolution Mode w/HDR OFF looks the best....while Graphics mode w/HDR OFF performs the best while still looking good.
post #4764 of 6925 Old 02-01-2018, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not sure if its something with my setup or what but something seems off with HDR and Monster Hunter. I turned HDR off and think it looks better....not was washed out/dull. Resolution Mode w/HDR OFF looks the best....while Graphics mode w/HDR OFF performs the best while still looking good.
I don't like the way Capcom had the HDR slider setup for the game. I was looking at disabling HDR and seeing how it looked without it.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #4765 of 6925 Old 02-01-2018, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't like the way Capcom had the HDR slider setup for the game. I was looking at disabling HDR and seeing how it looked without it.

I think it looks much better in "4k" mode without HDR. Something definitely up with their HDR. Found a few references to it on other forums related to the game.

Also, the game's "color" adjustment when in HDR does not seem to do damn thing.
post #4766 of 6925 Old 02-02-2018, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:

Right or wrong, it's time for people to move away and forget this. The Xbox one came out in Nov 22, 2013. Xbox now has THE best console on the market designed by gamers and not a committee of useless management. Clean slate. I have them all. The X is by far the most impressive of the bunch. Any multiplat now I'm buying for the X. I'm even holding off my PC upgrade as long as I can because the X is pretty darn close - and I'm a PC gamer first and foremost. It's also my main blu ray player since everything works with my harmony remote without issue or buying any additional hardware.

PS4 Pro will be for their exclusives only. I find even the load times are now irritating me on the Pro. I can not stand that @#[email protected]#$ controller that only lasts 5 hrs, gives me hand cramps and is horrible for everything.
post #4767 of 6925 Old 02-02-2018, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Beyond the topic of "exclusives" there is also "favoritism". I have been playing Monster Hunter World and its obvious that it should run/look better than it does on the X. According to Digital Foundry, in many ways the X runs worse than the PS4 Pro. Considering the beta for it was only on the PS4, the PS4 clearly had an advantage with the final product. MS needs to work so 3rd party developers have incentive to not favor one over the other. I am sure Sony payed them to be the sole host of the beta.
post #4768 of 6925 Old 02-02-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
As unlikely as it seems, it's definitely not the rack. I had the XBOX One S sitting in the same spot. I also picked up the XBOX One X off of the rack to re-position it, and it still made the same noise, taking the rack out of the equation.

If you put your hand over the back right corner and press your hand over it, it muffles the sound that the XBOX One X is making.
Update* I did exchange the Xbox One X, and I made sure that this one was from a different lot number, and I'm happy to report that it seems to be very quite overall and doesn't make any odd noises.

So, I guess the unit I had was defective.

Thanks again to everyone's feedback.
post #4769 of 6925 Old 02-03-2018, 02:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by QN52 View Post
Ok so I am having a strange issue with the One X and Dolby Atmos - maybe this is part of the know bug that's out there?
Same here with a Marantz SR5011, sometimes the sound stops. I feel like the problem starts usually when the sound coming from the Xbox is lower, ie. between 2 songs during an album playback. Increasing the receiver volume usually fixes the problem.

At some point I feel better to read that this seems to be a general Xbox One X problem happening with different brands of receivers. I did not try yet to switch the Xbox audio bitstream from Atmos to Dolby Digital or anything else, maybe that helps ?
post #4770 of 6925 Old 02-04-2018, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2360 Post(s)
Liked: 924
U guys on release firmware or beta ring? Part of the issue is with Microsoft having 4 different versions of the OS running it’s hard to seperate. On the beta ring have not had this problem in a month (but I did loose sound occasionally on one build and would have to soft reboot)

Demon x4200/atmos

DocACE911 on Steam, XBOX, PS4
"Kill Cancer or Die"
Custom Z9 Game Settings For SDR and HDR
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
Loving Wife and 4 year old Son who tolerate this expense!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
enhanced , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page