The Official Xbox One X thread - Page 200 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3565Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5971 of 6502 Old 10-16-2018, 11:33 AM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,078
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8781 Post(s)
Liked: 5554
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post
Nope all good here.

Why did you Dmz your Xbox? Maybe someone is DOSing you.

You can get open Xbox live behind a firewall- UPNP works well in 2018
It also worked well many years ago. I've been using UPnP for many years with multiple xbox and PS systems. It's always allowed me to get an open nat with any of my systems from my 2011 Asus router.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk
sjchmura likes this.

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5972 of 6502 Old 10-16-2018, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,019
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2045 Post(s)
Liked: 2258
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
I've a gig down/35mbps up, hard-wired, DMZ connection to my Xbox. The last month my network tests are showing 5mbps up(usually it's 30-35mbps up). I had the ISP out here, everything checked out fine, and all of my other devices are at 30-35mbps up. Can't figure out why the change has occurred. Has anyone had similar experiences? The Xbox speed test has always been right on the money for me 99% of the time.
I have the same speeds and have honestly very rarely seen the Xbox get close to maxing it out. It is usually 350mbps down, rarely getting up to 700mbps and the upstream has hit 15mbps at its best. I think it is down to congestion on MS' end. Even my phone hits better speeds from speed tests via wireless.
mutelight is online now  
post #5973 of 6502 Old 10-16-2018, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,019
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2045 Post(s)
Liked: 2258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamah Khan View Post
Question:
How is xboxone s as a 4k HDR media streamer for Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, etc compared with Apple TV 4k, Roku etc in terms of Picture quality and capability?

Better? Worse? Comparable?
The advantage the Xbox has media wise is YouTube 4K and 4K Blu-ray.

The Apple TV's Netflix app will properly change dynamic range based on the source content and it supports Dolby Vision in iTunes and Vudu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamah Khan View Post
Meant to say Xbox one X.. not S.. sorry.
They are the same media capability wise anyway.
mutelight is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5974 of 6502 Old 10-16-2018, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
aKa DaShiznit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Old Bridge, NJ
Posts: 900
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
I've a gig down/35mbps up, hard-wired, DMZ connection to my Xbox. The last month my network tests are showing 5mbps up(usually it's 30-35mbps up). I had the ISP out here, everything checked out fine, and all of my other devices are at 30-35mbps up. Can't figure out why the change has occurred. Has anyone had similar experiences? The Xbox speed test has always been right on the money for me 99% of the time.
I have the same speeds and have honestly very rarely seen the Xbox get close to maxing it out. It is usually 350mbps down, rarely getting up to 700mbps and the upstream has hit 15mbps at its best. I think it is down to congestion on MS' end. Even my phone hits better speeds from speed tests via wireless.
I have 300mbps down and even though my X tests and confirms that speed, anything downloaded from the store rarely passes 130mbps on the status bar.

Sony XBR-65X930E (w/luminoodle)/Sony UBP-X700/Apple TV 4K/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X
Denon AVR-X6200W(Surround/Height)/Emotiva XPA-3(L/C/R)/AC Infinity Aircom T8 x2
DefTech SM 65 x3(L/C/R)/DefTech PM 1000 x4(Surround)/DefTech DI5.5R x4(Atmos/DTS X)
SVS PC-2000 x2(Subs)/Panamax M4300-PM(Main) & MD2(Subs)/Logitech Harmony Elite
aKa DaShiznit is offline  
post #5975 of 6502 Old 10-16-2018, 02:06 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,078
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8781 Post(s)
Liked: 5554
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
I have the same speeds and have honestly very rarely seen the Xbox get close to maxing it out. It is usually 350mbps down, rarely getting up to 700mbps and the upstream has hit 15mbps at its best. I think it is down to congestion on MS' end. Even my phone hits better speeds from speed tests via wireless.
Whenever I've done the speed tests on my Xboxes, 700+Mb/s up/down has been the norm from my FiOS connection. Typically it's over 800Mb/s.

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #5976 of 6502 Old 10-16-2018, 02:07 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,078
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8781 Post(s)
Liked: 5554
Quote:
Originally Posted by aKa DaShiznit View Post
I have 300mbps down and even though my X tests and confirms that speed, anything downloaded from the store rarely passes 130mbps on the status bar.
I typically get 250Mb/s to 350Mb/s speeds when downloading games from the store.

Typically if I download games to my XB1S, XB1X, and PS4 Pro concurrently, I will max out my Gigabit connection. Or at least come very close.

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #5977 of 6502 Old 10-16-2018, 02:10 PM
Senior Member
 
camd5pt0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamah Khan View Post
Question:
How is xboxone s as a 4k HDR media streamer for Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, etc compared with Apple TV 4k, Roku etc in terms of Picture quality and capability?

Better? Worse? Comparable?
More hits than misses. It's decent though. I have the X, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Roku, and just got Apple TV 4K.

Apple has the upper hand in sound and picture quality/HDR performance in Netflix and Vudu native apps, and if course iTunes over the X. Hands down.

Now Microsoft movies streaming picture quality is on par with iTunes I've tested, and better than Vudu.

Amazon streamer is best at prime video picture quality and with including Dolby Atmos. Not much useful on anything else.

YouTube I still find best on my TV native app Samsung ks8500. 4K HDR.

Roku is built into the bedroom TCL so I won't compare. However it's rock solid.

In all, the Xbox offers the most, and good at all.



Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Home theatre: 65" Samsung KS8500 /Sony UBD-X800 / Xbox One X Project Scorpio / PS4 Pro
Denon AVR-X4400H 7.1.4 config. / Plantronics Dolby Atmos RIG 600LX
Pioneer Andrew Jones L,R,C,SL,SR,SBL,SBR / (4) Polk Atrium 5 series FHL,FHR,RHL,RHR
SVS PB-2000 w/ SVS SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation System
camd5pt0 is online now  
post #5978 of 6502 Old 10-16-2018, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rightintel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,844
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post
Nope all good here.

Why did you Dmz your Xbox? Maybe someone is DOSing you.

You can get open Xbox live behind a firewall- UPNP works well in 2018
I wasn't having a problem w/ ports or UPnP. The DMZ just puts the console out front so to speak. Advantageous for COD, etc.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
rightintel is offline  
post #5979 of 6502 Old 10-16-2018, 10:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sjchmura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 5,364
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2264 Post(s)
Liked: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
I wasn't having a problem w/ ports or UPnP. The DMZ just puts the console out front so to speak. Advantageous for COD, etc.


Why? You want the dude that looses to you to DOS attack your box?

DocACE911 on Steam, XBOX, PS4
"Kill Cancer or Die"
Custom Z9 Game Settings For SDR and HDR
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
Loving Wife and 4 year old Son who tolerate this expense!
sjchmura is online now  
post #5980 of 6502 Old 10-16-2018, 11:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,019
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2045 Post(s)
Liked: 2258
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post
Why? You want the dude that looses to you to DOS attack your box?
Do you mean DDoS? If so, someone on an Xbox isn't going to be able to trace back their IP to actually execute a DDoS targeted at their IP address as it is going through XBL services anyway and is masked. Even if they did somehow manage to find their IP, it is likely a dynamic one which they could request their ISP lease them a new one and it would impact their connection regardless of whether their Xbox was in a DMZ or fully behind the router.
mutelight is online now  
post #5981 of 6502 Old 10-16-2018, 11:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sjchmura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 5,364
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2264 Post(s)
Liked: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
Do you mean DDoS? If so, someone on an Xbox isn't going to be able to trace back their IP to actually execute a DDoS targeted at their IP address as it is going through XBL services anyway and is masked. Even if they did somehow manage to find their IP, it is likely a dynamic one which they could request their ISP lease them a new one and it would impact their connection regardless of whether their Xbox was in a DMZ or fully behind the router.


Good point - XB live hides the IP.
But for the ones using peer to peer don't the packets have to have the IP? Or is Xb live acting as a router ?

DocACE911 on Steam, XBOX, PS4
"Kill Cancer or Die"
Custom Z9 Game Settings For SDR and HDR
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
Loving Wife and 4 year old Son who tolerate this expense!
sjchmura is online now  
post #5982 of 6502 Old 10-16-2018, 11:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,019
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2045 Post(s)
Liked: 2258
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post
Good point - XB live hides the IP.
But for the ones using peer to peer don't the packets have to have the IP? Or is Xb live acting as a router ?
Even games that have P2P hosting, the traffic is being routed through XBL services and the IPs will be obscured.
mutelight is online now  
post #5983 of 6502 Old 10-17-2018, 02:05 AM
Senior Member
 
P40L0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Thumbs up


Hello everyone,

I would like to share my final set of professionally Calibrated Settings for all LG 2017 OLEDs and Xbox One X gaming, with the best PQ and lowest Input-Lag results possible (21ms), including Dolby Vision and webOS in-built Apps calibration.
Also White Balance and CMS were accurately tuned when possible , plus there is a special custom calibration for Dolby Vision (more details below)

Yeah, I know, "real calibration cannot be copy/pasted from TV to TV as they're all different" , but tested LG OLED variance between models is much lower then average, and even within a 3% variance you will still experience a much more accurate image compared to default presets.

There are 6 Profiles to independently 1-time-Calibrate for each source/content combination, and then forget about it.

In order to do it, just change the video source to the one you want to calibrate (for example: webOS Netflix app, or to HDMI1 connected to Xbox One X) and then load up the type of video content you want to calibrate (for example: launch an SDR Game, or an HDR Game, or a Dolby Vision movie).

Once you're ready, apply those Calibration Presets (click Titles to open the documents, you can also print them for convenience):

  • Xbox One X + SDR Calibrated Settings - Note: try to launch any SDR content to start calibrating, for example just stay in the Dashboard Home. All Xbox One X SDR contents will share the calibration;

  • Xbox One X + HDR Calibrated Settings - Note: if you want to try a brighter profile that is also tweaked to counteract as many negative effects of Dynamic Contrast as possible in order to be as accurate as possible, try this profile. Try to launch any HDR content to start calibrating, for example just open "Insects" Demo or any other HDR game. All Xbox One X HDR contents will share the calibration;

  • Xbox One X + Dolby Vision Calibrated Settings - Note: try to launch any Dolby Vision content to start calibrating, for example just open Netflix app and launch a DV movie. All Xbox One X Dolby Vision contents will share the calibration. These settings require TV firmware version 5.80.xx or above and extra-installation steps. PLEASE READ THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY;

  • webOS + SDR Calibrated Settings - Note: try to launch any SDR content to start calibrating, for example just open Netflix app from your LG remote. All webOS SDR contents will share the calibration;

  • webOS + HDR Calibrated Settings - Note: try to launch any HDR content to start calibrating, for example just open YouTube app from your LG remote, and search for any HDR videos. All webOS HDR contents will share the calibration;

  • webOS + Dolby Vision Calibrated Settings - Note: try to launch any Dolby Vision content to start calibrating, for example open Netflix app from your LG remote, and start playing "Altered Carbon" show. All webOS Dolby Vision contents will share the calibration. These settings require TV firmware version 5.80.xx or above and extra-installation steps. PLEASE READ THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY.

These are actual meter based calibration settings ( vs. disc based ) using a recently certified ( June 2018 ) Spectracal C6 meter, Murideo 6G pattern generator, and CalMan for Biz 2017.

These settings are tailor made and compatible with ALL 2017 LG OLEDs variants (e.g. LG B7, C7, E7, G7, W7), but you can also try it for 2018 and even 2016 OLEDs line-up (just do NOT apply custom White Balance and CMS points values for those, just limit to general settings as a baseline and try to adjust it from there if necessary).

Let me know what you think.

Hope you enjoy it

Cheers,

P

NOTE: Don't forget to adjust HDR "Sliders" also in game settings if available. Usually, for these TVs, you need to "increase" the level of Max HDR Brightness "Slider" to make the game logo/icon totally disappear in a white background, or set it to a numerical number around 4.000 nits. This is the reason why, even with both the console and the TVs properly calibrated, some games may look "dark" or "washed out" if this setting is left to default.

EDIT: Pre and Post-Calibration graphs below.


ULTIMATE EDIT:

  • ALL PROFILES UPDATED TO V7 ULTIMATE
  • Firmware 5.80.xx or above is required
  • Completely new re-calibration of all SDR/HDR/DV picture modes with new tools and after 4.000+ hours usage
  • New Dolby Vision Custom Calibration file to apply via USB patch (updated on April 2019)
  • HDR Game mode back to a new custom profile based on HIGH Dynamic Contrast to match the new improvements
  • Added new in-game HDR suggested settings


That's it folks.
As per "ULTIMATE" tag, I really finished my ammo on LG 2017 OLED Series this time and I won't make any further tests after these results.

The only way to add improvement on top of this would be by LG to add real Dynamic Tonemapping also for 7 series (but probably this will never happen).

Until then, thanks everyone for all the feedback, it was an epic ride.

Make your HDR games scream! >:]



CALIBRATED IN-GAME HDR SUGGESTED SETTINGS / EXAMPLES:

  • AC Origins: 4.000 nits HDR Luminance, 150 Paper White, Brightness 1 tick left compared to default;
  • AC Odyssey: 4.000 nits HDR Luminance, 150 Paper White, Brightness at middle (Default);
  • Battlefield 1: Brightness at 50% (Default), 4.000 nits HDR Luminance
  • Forza Horizon 3: Brightness 50 (Default), HDR Luminance slider to the Max
  • Forza Horizon 4: 4.000 nits HDR Luminance, Brightness 50 (Default)
  • Forza Motorsport 7: Brightness 50 (Default), HDR slider to the Max
  • Halo: MCC: all at Defaults (1.000 HDR Luminance, 150 Paper White, Contrast 5)
  • Hellblade: Gamma raised 1 tick right;
  • Gears of War 4: Brightness at default, HDR Luminance 8 ticks from left to right
  • Resident Evil 7: HDR Luminance 2.000 nits (its Max), HDR Brightness 320
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider: Brightness to the Middle and HDR Luminance to the Max
  • Shadow ot the Tomb Raider: Video Mode: Resolution (for Native 4K), HDR: On, Brightness: Default; HDR Luminance slider: Maxed to the right






Last edited by P40L0; 04-22-2019 at 06:27 AM.
P40L0 is offline  
post #5984 of 6502 Old 10-17-2018, 03:23 AM
Senior Member
 
KOTULCN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 426
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by P40L0 View Post



Hello everyone,



I would like to share my final set of professionally Calibrated Settings for all LG 2017 OLEDs and Xbox One X gaming, with the best PQ and lowest Input-Lag results possible (21ms), including Dolby Vision and webOS in-built Apps calibration.

Also White Balance and CMS were accurately tuned when possible , plus there is a special custom calibration for Dolby Vision (more details below / Credits for webOS and DV Calibrations and Custom Profile go to sonoftumble )



Yeah, I know, "real calibration cannot be copy/pasted from TV to TV as they're all different" , but tested LG OLED variance between models is much lower then average, and even within a 3% variance you will still experience a much more accurate image compared to default presets.



There are 6 Profiles to independently 1-time-Calibrate for each source/content combination, and then forget about it.



In order to do it, just change the video source to the one you want to calibrate (for example: webOS Netflix app, or to HDMI1 connected to Xbox One X) and then load up the type of video content you want to calibrate (for example: launch an SDR Game, or an HDR Game, or a Dolby Vision movie).



Once you're ready, apply those Calibration Presets (click Titles to open the documents, you can also print them for convenience):


  • Xbox One X + SDR Calibrated Settings - Note: try to launch any SDR content to start calibrating, for example just stay in the Dashboard Home. All Xbox One X SDR contents will share the calibration;




  • Xbox One X + HDR Calibrated Settings - Note: try to launch any HDR content to start calibrating, for example just open "Insects" Demo or any other HDR game. All Xbox One X HDR contents will share the calibration;




  • Xbox One X + Dolby Vision Calibrated Settings - Note: try to launch any Dolby Vision content to start calibrating, for example just open Netflix app and launch a DV movie. All Xbox One X Dolby Vision contents will share the calibration. These settings require TV firmware version 4.70.30 or above and extra-installation steps. PLEASE READ THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY ;




  • webOS + SDR Calibrated Settings - Note: try to launch any SDR content to start calibrating, for example just open Netflix app from your LG remote. All webOS SDR contents will share the calibration;




  • webOS + HDR Calibrated Settings - Note: try to launch any HDR content to start calibrating, for example just open YouTube app from your LG remote, and search for any HDR videos. All webOS HDR contents will share the calibration;




  • webOS + Dolby Vision Calibrated Settings - Note: try to launch any Dolby Vision content to start calibrating, for example open Netflix app from your LG remote, and start playing "Altered Carbon" show. All webOS Dolby Vision contents will share the calibration. These settings require TV firmware version 4.70.30 or above and extra-installation steps. PLEASE READ THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY;

These are actual meter based calibration settings ( vs. disc based ) using a recently certified ( June 2018 ) Spectracal C6 meter, Murideo 6G pattern generator, and CalMan for Biz 2017.



These settings are tailor made and compatible with ALL 2017 LG OLEDs variants (e.g. LG B7, C7, E7, G7, W7), but you can also try it for 2018 and even 2016 OLEDs line-up (just do NOT apply custom White Balance and CMS points values for those, just limit to general settings as a baseline and try to adjust it from there if necessary).



Let me know what you think.



Hope you enjoy it



Cheers,



P



NOTE: Don't forget to adjust HDR "Sliders" also in game settings if available. Usually, for these TVs, you need to "increase" the level of Max HDR Brightness "Slider" to make the game logo/icon totally disappear in a white background, or set it to a numerical number around 3.000 nits. This is the reason why, even with both the console and the TVs properly calibrated, some games may look "dark" or "washed out" if this setting is left to default.



EDIT: Pre and Post-Calibration graphs below.



EDIT2: SDR Game Mode Contrast slightly increased to match Xbox One Dashboard calibration reference.



EDIT3: X1X HDR Game profile update - > Set "Dynamic Contrast" from LOW to MEDIUM as default in order to have a slightly higher HDR gamma and brightness (without significantly hit at tone mapping). Avoid the HIGH setting as it will overprocess colors and white on top of gamma.















Does this require that you have a single HDMI from tv -> Xbox? I’m currently using one HDMI from HDMI2 -> a/v receiver, then all components connected to receiver.
KOTULCN is online now  
post #5985 of 6502 Old 10-17-2018, 03:36 AM
Senior Member
 
P40L0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOTULCN View Post
Does this require that you have a single HDMI from tv -> Xbox? I’m currently using one HDMI from HDMI2 -> a/v receiver, then all components connected to receiver.
I wouldn't say it is required, but having a direct HDMI connection from Console to the TV would be ideal to avoid artifacts or mulfunctioning HDR handshakes
P40L0 is offline  
post #5986 of 6502 Old 10-17-2018, 05:32 AM
Member
 
LG8600User's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
The advantage the Xbox has media wise is YouTube 4K and 4K Blu-ray.

The Apple TV's Netflix app will properly change dynamic range based on the source content and it supports Dolby Vision in iTunes and Vudu.



They are the same media capability wise anyway.
the XB1X YT app is the least-enabled for 4K HDR-enabled devices that I've encountered - it has no HDR support at all.

Roku YT has HDR10.

LG TV YT has HDR10 and HLG.

Doesn't sound like much of an "advantage" when it cant output HDR while other platform's YT apps can...

And the broken bizarre "always on" Netflix HDR10/DV in the XB1 is just that - 2 years on, recently updated for DV, and it still cant auto-detect and properly output SDR versus HDR content like every other HDR-enabled Netflix platform app can..

As a "streamer", the XB1X is pretty subpar unless you're using Hulu and watching Originals in 4K with 5.1 output - the only place the XB1X has any real advantage.
aaronwt likes this.
LG8600User is offline  
post #5987 of 6502 Old 10-17-2018, 06:15 AM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,078
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8781 Post(s)
Liked: 5554
Quote:
Originally Posted by P40L0 View Post
I wouldn't say it is required, but having a direct HDMI connection from Console to the TV would be ideal to avoid artifacts or mulfunctioning HDR handshakes
Should be no different going through a receiver as long as you have the proper cable. The picture will look identical whether going through a receiver or connected direct!y to to the TV. I know in my setups I never had any artifacts or other handshake issues.And I go through an HDMI switch before going to my receiver. Plus if you connect directly to the TV you can only get the lower quality audio.

Sent from my Nexus 7(16GB) using Tapatalk

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #5988 of 6502 Old 10-17-2018, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,019
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2045 Post(s)
Liked: 2258
Quote:
Originally Posted by LG8600User View Post
the XB1X YT app is the least-enabled for 4K HDR-enabled devices that I've encountered - it has no HDR support at all.

Roku YT has HDR10.

LG TV YT has HDR10 and HLG.

Doesn't sound like much of an "advantage" when it cant output HDR while other platform's YT apps can...

And the broken bizarre "always on" Netflix HDR10/DV in the XB1 is just that - 2 years on, recently updated for DV, and it still cant auto-detect and properly output SDR versus HDR content like every other HDR-enabled Netflix platform app can..

As a "streamer", the XB1X is pretty subpar unless you're using Hulu and watching Originals in 4K with 5.1 output - the only place the XB1X has any real advantage.
So dramatic. Anyway at least it does 4K, the Apple TV YouTube app is limited to 1080p and there is loads of 4K content out there and there is barely any HDR content outside of demos on YouTube anyway.

As far as the Netflix behavior on the Xbox and PS4 it isn't an issue with the console, it is that Netflix is lazy and have deemed that behavior "as designed" and never changed it.

Anyway, I don't use the Xbox as my main streamer but it is serviceable for most, I was only being objective and saying where there were advantages.
mutelight is online now  
post #5989 of 6502 Old 10-17-2018, 10:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOTULCN View Post
Does this require that you have a single HDMI from tv -> Xbox? I’m currently using one HDMI from HDMI2 -> a/v receiver, then all components connected to receiver.
Minor/No impact long as don't use any video output settings on your receiver. Many receiver's now come with their own video settings that are editable. Make sure leave those alone or better yet set it into a 'pass-thru' mode (video pass-thru would be set separately from audio pass-thru). If know your receiver model, you can probably check in dedicated thread for your model.
JNayAV is offline  
post #5990 of 6502 Old 10-17-2018, 02:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I really need a one box solution for home that satisfies Kodi, netflix, youtube, gaming, youtube, prime, sling tv.

For always on HDR, if i use something like the device below, will that help woth xbox one s? Anybody tried using the vertex?

I am not worried about hd audio or other streaming apps that much. Basic surround sound is good. Just need PQ quality comparable to appletv for streamin apps.

https://www.hdfury.com/product/vertex-4k60-444-600mhz/
Osamah Khan is offline  
post #5991 of 6502 Old 10-17-2018, 03:49 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,078
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8781 Post(s)
Liked: 5554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamah Khan View Post
I really need a one box solution for home that satisfies Kodi, netflix, youtube, gaming, youtube, prime, sling tv.

For always on HDR, if i use something like the device below, will that help woth xbox one s? Anybody tried using the vertex?

I am not worried about hd audio or other streaming apps that much. Basic surround sound is good. Just need PQ quality comparable to appletv for streamin apps.

https://www.hdfury.com/product/vertex-4k60-444-600mhz/
With UHD streaming content the picture quality from the ATV 4K is the same as other devices.

Sent from my Nexus 7(16GB) using Tapatalk

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #5992 of 6502 Old 10-17-2018, 05:36 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Got it.. so its just the local file playback thats the difference?

But then there is the issue with netflix hdr always on as well. I tried it with my 4k tv and i could see how the HD looked messed up. So i just moved the xbox to the bedroom. For local files i think i will simply get an amlogic LE device..
Osamah Khan is offline  
post #5993 of 6502 Old 10-17-2018, 06:11 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,078
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8781 Post(s)
Liked: 5554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamah Khan View Post
Got it.. so its just the local file playback thats the difference?

But then there is the issue with netflix hdr always on as well. I tried it with my 4k tv and i could see how the HD looked messed up. So i just moved the xbox to the bedroom. For local files i think i will simply get an amlogic LE device..
The ATV 4K shines with upscaling. It does great job converting the 1080P and lower resolution content to UHD. That is where the difference is with the ATV 4K. Whether local or online streaming content.

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #5994 of 6502 Old 10-17-2018, 07:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Now i am confused.. first you said the quality is the same. Then you mentioned apple tv is better with upscaling, obviously thats a measure of quality, isnt it?

I am just tryig to decide is it worth getting an appletv for streaming media separately of will the xbox be good enough for the 4k tv. If i can use something like hdfury to handle the hdr-sdr conversions, i dont mind spending the money as long as its just one box (waf).. so what do you giys think.. does xbox hold its own for a 4k tv or is atv better?
Osamah Khan is offline  
post #5995 of 6502 Old 10-17-2018, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
javan robinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 702
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Like Mute said, the other guy was just being dramatic.

I use my Xbox for the following..

Netflix w/ 4k HDR - 9.5/10 - 4k And HDR shows/movies on here look GREAT! It does Atmos too! Netflix's atmos isn't as good as a UHD discs atmos, but it's still pretty great.

The *always on* HDR doesn't really gum up anything too bad unless you're watching something horribly dark. It's streaming after all and it's $10 a month, I know there are bugs and its a 2 year old bug - but come on we would have killed for this functionality and catalog of movies, 10 or even 5 years ago.

Amazon Prime - 9/10 - Does 4k And HDR. Also looks great. Supposed to do Atmos but haven't seen anything yet..

Hulu 8.5/10 - watch it sparingly but it has always looked pretty good to me. Don't know if it does 4k or not, don't watch it enugh.

HBO 8/10 - works through the Amazon app. Only goes up to 1080p. Looks good but there are some issues with lipsync from time to time.

Sling - 9/10 - This used to S.U.C.K., but it's actually pretty good now! Only plays back in 1080p (or hell could be 720p for all I know) and 2 channel audio but the streams are consistent and don't drop out nearly as much as they used to. I use this for sports and news.

Microsoft Movies - 9.6/10 - As someone previously mentioned the video quality is top notch and it does HDR too, just need to add atmos..

Youtube - 9.5/10 - Works great. I think it may do HDR ? Not really sure. I don't sit around and watch youtube videos all day


Anyways - the Xbox definitely has some bugs, but as far as ease of use and capable streaming options, and considering what else you get - it can't be beat.

One bad thing however is I find the UHD disc drive getting crappier and crappier as time goes on and this is my second X1X... Ever 3-4 movies I'll have to give it a full reboot until it'll work. Oh well..
Kev Greenhalgh likes this.




65" 900E Tee Vee | Denon 6300H AVR | PSA MTM-210s | PSA MTM-210c | PSA MTM-110s | Canton 880 InCeilings | Rythmik FV25HP
javan robinson is online now  
post #5996 of 6502 Old 10-18-2018, 05:32 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by javan robinson View Post

Netflix w/ 4k HDR - 9.5/10 - 4k And HDR shows/movies on here look GREAT! It does Atmos too! Netflix's atmos isn't as good as a UHD discs atmos, but it's still pretty great.
I totally agree. I may add that iwas using the C7 native app until last week but it started displaying weird things on Dolby Vision so i tried it on X. I got surprised for good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javan robinson View Post
Microsoft Movies - 9.6/10 - As someone previously mentioned the video quality is top notch and it does HDR too, just need to add atmos..
and Dolby Vision!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by javan robinson View Post
One bad thing however is I find the UHD disc drive getting crappier and crappier as time goes on and this is my second X1X... Ever 3-4 movies I'll have to give it a full reboot until it'll work. Oh well..
Now that you mention: do you own Rampage? I couldn't play it in the X... freezes everywhere. I had to rely on Watch It Anywhere code and stream it.
javan robinson likes this.
asabrag is online now  
post #5997 of 6502 Old 10-18-2018, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
javan robinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 702
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by asabrag View Post
I totally agree. I may add that iwas using the C7 native app until last week but it started displaying weird things on Dolby Vision so i tried it on X. I got surprised for good.

and Dolby Vision!!!


Now that you mention: do you own Rampage? I couldn't play it in the X... freezes everywhere. I had to rely on Watch It Anywhere code and stream it.
Hey glad someone agrees And i have the 900e so no dolby vision so please stop commenting on what I'm missing!! lol

And I dont have Rampage but sorry to hear you were having issues with it

Off the top of my head, movies I've experienced issues with lately are... Fury, A Quiet Place, and a few others but they've all been playable after a restart or two. The only UHD that would NOT play at all was Salt but I hear I'm not the only one for that disc.
asabrag likes this.




65" 900E Tee Vee | Denon 6300H AVR | PSA MTM-210s | PSA MTM-210c | PSA MTM-110s | Canton 880 InCeilings | Rythmik FV25HP
javan robinson is online now  
post #5998 of 6502 Old 10-18-2018, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
kamouflage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mesquite, TX
Posts: 646
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Anybody else already preorder Red Dead Redemption? Pre-load starts tonight at midnight, install is 107GB. I hope I actually am able to beat it in a month cause multiplayer is supposed to launch sometime at the end of next month.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
asabrag likes this.

Xbox Live: PikturePerfekt
kamouflage is offline  
post #5999 of 6502 Old 10-18-2018, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b_scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 7,256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamouflage View Post
Anybody else already preorder Red Dead Redemption? Pre-load starts tonight at midnight, install is 107GB. I hope I actually am able to beat it in a month cause multiplayer is supposed to launch sometime at the end of next month.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It has said 100GB on my box for at least a week. I don't think that's a fake size.
b_scott is offline  
post #6000 of 6502 Old 10-18-2018, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
kamouflage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mesquite, TX
Posts: 646
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
It has said 100GB on my box for at least a week. I don't think that's a fake size.


It’s not, rockstar came out with official install sizes today.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xbox Live: PikturePerfekt
kamouflage is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
enhanced , xbox one x



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off