The Official Xbox One X thread - Page 212 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3686Likes

post #6331 of 6819 Old 01-05-2019, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizOfDa1stOrder View Post
What audio setting do you have set in the settings=>disc & Blu-ray>bluray. I would try toggling whatever you currently have set for "Let my receiver decode audio setting" opposite and see if that helps.
Which audio setting is this for? The Xbox I thought was just through setting and sounds then you can pick 5.1 7.1 atmos etc

My AVR does auto decode
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6332 of 6819 Old 01-05-2019, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoinFlip View Post
Quote:
What audio setting do you have set in the settings=>disc & Blu-ray>bluray. I would try toggling whatever you currently have set for "Let my receiver decode audio setting" opposite and see if that helps.
Which audio setting is this for? The Xbox I thought was just through setting and sounds then you can pick 5.1 7.1 atmos etc

My AVR does auto decode
By checking that box it allows your AVR to natively decode the audio. For instance most games are 5.1 so for me I leave system at 5.1 and have this box checked so my 7.1.4 system plays what ever format is on my UHD disc.
post #6333 of 6819 Old 01-05-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
By checking that box it allows your AVR to natively decode the audio. For instance most games are 5.1 so for me I leave system at 5.1 and have this box checked so my 7.1.4 system plays what ever format is on my UHD disc.
Which setting are you referring to, is this the one in the Xbox one for audio, I don’t remember seeing that option.

But with that being said the discs ive tried are atmos and it plays on atmos. However the issue is with all the disc the lip sync is off bad and Xbox BluRay player is the only thing effected by this. I’m getting pissed at Microsoft cause this was the only reason I purposed the One X was for hard 4K media. I’ve spent hours trying to figure this out and nothing works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6334 of 6819 Old 01-05-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Which setting are you referring to, is this the one in the Xbox one for audio, I don’t remember seeing that option.

But with that being said the discs ive tried are atmos and it plays on atmos. However the issue is with all the disc the lip sync is off bad and Xbox BluRay player is the only thing effected by this. I’m getting pissed at Microsoft cause this was the only reason I purposed the One X was for hard 4K media. I’ve spent hours trying to figure this out and nothing works.
If you have your main Audio setting as bitstream and Dolby Atmos for home pretty much everything goes out as Atmos format even if it's not Atmos. You would have to read through some different threads on that.

The setting I'm talking about Overrides what you have set within the Display & Sound area but just for the Blu-ray app.

Goto Settings, Disc and Blu-ray, Blu-ray and you will see the check box.
post #6335 of 6819 Old 01-05-2019, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejavecu View Post
In watching 4K movies, yes.

However...

I go back and forth on the sharpness setting depending on the TV panel as well with some games because some are more stylized than others and also because of differing gameplay priorities; like say with a multiplayer FPS (even with the few games that allow the player to turn off distractions like motion blur) in which the TTK is such that speed of recognizing and target acquisition of an opposing player is by far the biggest determining factor in your K/D.

However, this dynamic is far more difficult and pronounced in some FPS than others, an example of which is Battlefield where the style is far more naturalistic in using a palette of earth tones in the environment and uniform of the players versus an extremely stylized shooter like Fortnite that uses a very bright and contrasting color palette where the players stand out against the environment/background much more.

With my 4K LG OLED, I am able to stick to the rule of thumb of using 0 sharpness as well as turning off almost all related extra post processing elements like super resolution (think that's what LG calls it) far more often but, on the other hand, in my occasional use of the X with my mid tier Samsung LCD 4K TV which is "handicapped" more vs OLED , as it's LCD relies on local dimming and has a less ideal contrast ratio etc etc, I find I have to increase sharpness more often, somewhere between 10-20.

... So, IMHO, it depends.

I know this isn't the cut and dry answer you might have wanted but I hope it does somewhat give you some insight in optimizing for your specific scenario with all it's many unknowns and variables. Just take your time with it, don't juggle changing multiple other settings at the same time, and, after prioritizing which setting's optimization in order of importance to your personal enjoyment , make changes to only one setting at a time and only in small increments.

Don't do as I did and just dive in, changing everything at once, dialing in numerous mayor changes to such a degree that by some time into getting the console, I had utterly confused myself as to what did what anymore, finally, having to just do several default resets, starting from scratch.

It was only fun the first couple hours spent in doing so but got old quick and instilled a self doubt that I still can't shake the feeling of, rather than just enjoying the damn thing, and finding myself thinking that "x" or "y" isn't as good as if could be lol
I used to be a purist about it, for the most part I still am. Occasionally I'll turn it up to maybe 5, usually on games.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #6336 of 6819 Old 01-12-2019, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Anyone have an additional advise here?

There doesn’t seem to be any audio delayed on playing games. I can use streaming services like Vudu and watch UHD with Atmos with no delay. However any 4K Blu-ray is completely unwatchable cause it had about a 4 second lipsync issue.
If you have video output set to 10bits try 8...i had problems even with audio when i used 10bits. X will adjust it to 10 automaticly when it needs to.
post #6337 of 6819 Old 01-12-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnerOfLg View Post
If you have video output set to 10bits try 8...i had problems even with audio when i used 10bits. X will adjust it to 10 automaticly when it needs to.
I’ll give this it a try tomorrow, does changing this effect the image quality?

Thanks for your hell.
post #6338 of 6819 Old 01-13-2019, 05:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
I’ll give this it a try tomorrow, does changing this effect the image quality?

Thanks for your hell.
No, X will adjust it automatically to 10bits when it needs to. There is a comprehensive YouTube video about this somewhere in this forum. Also you should have setting allow 4:2:2 on in graphic settings.
post #6339 of 6819 Old 01-13-2019, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Tip for you guys. If you want your dashboard, store etc much much faster go into settings and video and change output to 1080P. This setting effects ONLY your dashboard and will not effect 4K output for games, videos etc. Its ONLY your dashboard. The XBOX is horrible with handling resources and by doing this small tweak it will greatly increase the speed, navigation and responsiveness of your dashboard

LG C7 65"|Xbox One X|PS4 Pro|Nvidia Shield

Last edited by Datagg; 01-13-2019 at 06:27 AM.
post #6340 of 6819 Old 01-13-2019, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2240 Post(s)
Liked: 2528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datagg View Post
Tip for you guys. If you want your dashboard, store etc much much faster go into settings and video and change output to 1080P. This setting effects ONLY your dashboard and will not effect 4K output for games, videos etc. Its ONLY your dashboard. The XBOX is horrible with handling resources and by doing this small tweak it will greatly increase the speed, navigation and responsiveness of your dashboard
The dashboard is already rendered at 1080p even when the console is set to 4K.

This post seems wrong.
post #6341 of 6819 Old 01-13-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnerOfLg View Post
No, X will adjust it automatically to 10bits when it needs to. There is a comprehensive YouTube video about this somewhere in this forum. Also you should have setting allow 4:2:2 on in graphic settings.

Thank you for all your help

I started messing around with this this morning. It was already on 8 so I figured why not change it to 10 and try. The movie worked for about 10 mins then went back to the lip sync issues. So I went back and changed it from 10 to 8 and worked for about another 10 minutes and then back to issues. Any idea why it works and then about 10 minutes later starts giving me the issues.
post #6342 of 6819 Old 01-13-2019, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

With all due respect, it's not wrong. The system is trying to upscale it to 4K and by doing so is severely slowing down the dash and navagation. By telling it to remain at 1080P it will not upscale and greatly enhance speed. Try it. Been an ambassador for multiple years now and this has been a godsend to many who can't stand the rubber banding, choppiness and just plain slow movement of the systems navigation. Give it a try. Peace.

Here is a video of a friend who posted this very tweak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
Quote:
The dashboard is already rendered at 1080p even when the console is set to 4K.

This post seems wrong.

Last edited by Datagg; 01-13-2019 at 10:19 AM.
post #6343 of 6819 Old 01-13-2019, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
With all due respect, it's not wrong. The system is trying to upscale it to 4K and by doing so is severely slowing down the dash and navagation. By telling it to remain at 1080P it will not upscale and greatly enhance speed. Try it. Been an ambassador for multiple years now and this has been a godsend to many who can't stand the rubber banding, choppiness and just plain slow movement of the systems navigation. Give it a try. Peace.
I haven't really tested the speed but did see that setting it to 1080p, games and video content did indeed switch to 4K, similar to how setting the Xbox to 8 bit, it will automatically switch to 10 bit for HDR content, so I'll be damned and I was wrong! Gave it a try. Later.
DaverJ likes this.
post #6344 of 6819 Old 01-13-2019, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Thumbs up bro. Peace.

Quote:
Quote:
I haven't really tested the speed but did see that setting it to 1080p, games and video content did indeed switch to 4K, similar to how setting the Xbox to 8 bit, it will automatically switch to 10 bit for HDR content, so I'll be damned and I was wrong! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/IMG] Gave it a try. Later.

post #6345 of 6819 Old 01-13-2019, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thumbs up bro. Peace.
Word, dog. Went back to 4K on the Xbox since it won't upscale non enhanced games and my TVs have higher input lag without a native 4K signal. Latah.
post #6346 of 6819 Old 01-13-2019, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:

Here is a video of a friend who posted this very tweak. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ03N9VyULg

This was posted in the video comments a day ago:
"Dealer - Gaming

Sorry to have to tell you this but I think you should update this video as it is not correct.

This does speed up your dashboard but your Xbox one x will not be outputting 4K at all with this setting on. You will be getting supersampled 1080p. That’s what this setting is for.

If you remember, Microsoft announced that the Xbox one x would improve visual quality for 1080p tv owners through super sampling. This is basically how you enable that setting.

If you are in doubt, start up a 4K game with these settings and check the resolution your tv is outputting (using the info or i button on your remote) you will see that it is still outputting 1080p."

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #6347 of 6819 Old 01-13-2019, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mine set to 1080. Loaded up forza on my C7 oled and it reports 4K output HDR. Tried another, Onrush. Same results 4K HDR.

Maybe it's an XBOX one X thing.. All I know is my dashboard has increased in speed dramatically and all 4K content is outputing 4K
rightintel likes this.

post #6348 of 6819 Old 01-13-2019, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
"Dealer - Gaming

Sorry to have to tell you this but I think you should update this video as it is not correct.

This does speed up your dashboard but your Xbox one x will not be outputting 4K at all with this setting on. You will be getting supersampled 1080p. That’s what this setting is for.

If you remember, Microsoft announced that the Xbox one x would improve visual quality for 1080p tv owners through super sampling. This is basically how you enable that setting.

If you are in doubt, start up a 4K game with these settings and check the resolution your tv is outputting (using the info or i button on your remote) you will see that it is still outputting 1080p."
I watched the signal going through my AVR with the Xbox set to 1080p @8 bit color and when I started an One X enhanced game or Netflix, it did switch to 4K 10 bit. However, games that are not One X enhanced, the output stayed at 1080p.
aaronwt and Kev Greenhalgh like this.
post #6349 of 6819 Old 01-13-2019, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Makes sense. I for one bought the X for 4K games for this generation and thus what games I run thru it. What older non enhanced games personally who cares if it's not upscaled. They were 1080 or lower so that experience is what they were. I'd rather have the faster dash and more responsive navigation.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
"Dealer - Gaming

I watched the signal going through my AVR with the Xbox set to 1080p @8 bit color and when I started an One X enhanced game or Netflix, it did switch to 4K 10 bit. However, games that are not One X enhanced, the output stayed at 1080p.

post #6350 of 6819 Old 01-13-2019, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Makes sense. I for one bought the X for 4K games for this generation and thus what games I run thru it. What older non enhanced games personally who cares if it's not upscaled. They were 1080 or lower so that experience is what they were. I'd rather have the faster dash and more responsive navigation.
I care because it induces higher input lag on all my TVs.

Time spent on the janky dashboard is almost nonexistent, so I will stick to 4K. Neat little "life hack" but ultimately not worth it for my use cases.

More often than not I play games on my PC which is multiple times faster than the One X but I am willing to put up with the dashboard being a little more laggy to preserve the Xbox always outputting 4K. Again, cool little "tip" and awesome if it helps you out but not for everyone.

Latez, bruh.
post #6351 of 6819 Old 01-18-2019, 09:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I'm in the market for a new 4K TV and wondering about waiting, regarding HDMI 2.1 and gaming. I'm sure the upcoming XBox console (whether in 2020 or later) is going to be amazing, promising much improved 4K frame rates and other goodies. That will almost certainly require a TV with HDMI 2.1 connections to see the full range of those improvements, no? If you are on a current UHD TV with HDMI 2.0, are we likely to see all these improvements? I realize that the One X also is HDMI 2.1 compatible. Problem is...there are no TV's out yet with the full range of 2.1. I know Samsung has VRR and Freesync but that is just part of what HDMI 2.1 is going to offer.

From what I am reading, you will not be able to get a simple firmware update on your current HDMI 2.0 TV to make your inputs 2.1 ready. I guess what I'm asking is...if you're a gamer in the market for a new 4K TV...would you wait for the new HDMI 2.1 sets before you plunge in, especially in light of the next-gen of consoles that are coming? And on the flip side, if you don't have a One X, would you wait for the next-gen console as well?

Last edited by DVD Freaky; 01-18-2019 at 09:55 PM.
post #6352 of 6819 Old 01-19-2019, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1777 Post(s)
Liked: 4043
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Freaky View Post
if you're a gamer in the market for a new 4K TV...would you wait for the new HDMI 2.1 sets before you plunge in, especially in light of the next-gen of consoles that are coming? And on the flip side, if you don't have a One X, would you wait for the next-gen console as well?
I would rather have fun today then hold off for something that might be better, announced or not.
post #6353 of 6819 Old 01-19-2019, 11:26 AM

Does anyone know why after about 30 minutes my one x appears to have a darker image. On games and movies about 30 minutes or so in the image gets darker. I though it was my eyes but I tested it with another source on a movie and it it’s a ton dark

Everything starts out fine but then the image gets darker. Help
post #6354 of 6819 Old 01-19-2019, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
I would rather have fun today then hold off for something that might be better, announced or not.
Very true. It's just that the new console is possibly out next year...maybe. When I went to the Microsoft Store here, they seemed adamant that it WON'T be out next year (not sure how they are so sure). Maybe just trying to sell me the X. I briefly had 2 One X's, but returned both. The first kept powering off at startup and the 2nd was giving me 'disconnected controller' messages when I was 3 feet in front of the screen, fresh batteries that came with the console, etc. It seemed glitchy in other ways too. But there is no doubt that the One X is amazing and I love what Game Pass has to offer also. I'm just wondering if it might be a better idea to wait on both: the new TV's and the new XBox. I get what you're saying about "live for now" but it seems so close, the new gen's.
post #6355 of 6819 Old 01-19-2019, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Sounds like the internal Xbox screen saver. It's horribly implemented and will even turn on during cutscenes. Toggle gamepad to disengage. We with oleds like to have screen saver active much sooner yet regrettably there system will engage even during cutscenes. Myself and many more ambassadors have been complaining about this for years only to fall on deaf ears.

Quote:
Does anyone know why after about 30 minutes my one x appears to have a darker image. On games and movies about 30 minutes or so in the image gets darker. I though it was my eyes but I tested it with another source on a movie and it it’s a ton dark

post #6356 of 6819 Old 01-19-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1777 Post(s)
Liked: 4043
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Freaky View Post
Very true. It's just that the new console is possibly out next year...maybe. When I went to the Microsoft Store here, they seemed adamant that it WON'T be out next year (not sure how they are so sure). Maybe just trying to sell me the X. I briefly had 2 One X's, but returned both. The first kept powering off at startup and the 2nd was giving me 'disconnected controller' messages when I was 3 feet in front of the screen, fresh batteries that came with the console, etc. It seemed glitchy in other ways too. But there is no doubt that the One X is amazing and I love what Game Pass has to offer also. I'm just wondering if it might be a better idea to wait on both: the new TV's and the new XBox. I get what you're saying about "live for now" but it seems so close, the new gen's.
I would be very surprised to see a significantly revised Xbox anytime in 2020 or before. Maybe a new/smaller/different form factor (disc-less?), power saving, colors, whatnot. And to your point, there may be a motherboard revision, but not sure what that could gain over the existing model.

It sucks you got two bad units. Xboxs have always had strange hardware decisions from the beginning, albeit some very good ones, too. I would understand wanting to stay away from the console. To me, it's a great device that has, at times, given me a bit of frustration, yet overall a fine machine.
post #6357 of 6819 Old 01-19-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Sounds like the internal Xbox screen saver. It's horribly implemented and will even turn on during cutscenes. Toggle gamepad to disengage. We with oleds like to have screen saver active much sooner yet regrettably there system will engage even during cutscenes. Myself and many more ambassadors have been complaining about this for years only to fall on deaf ears.
Even on gameplay? Even if a movie is playing and I exit and go back it’s still dark. Its an Oled as well.
post #6358 of 6819 Old 01-19-2019, 02:22 PM

Liked: 2
It may have to do with the local dimming/HDR/power savings settings on your TV. No TV manufacture, I've owned thus far has made this straight forward to simply toggle so the easiest, most definitive way is to toggle at the source.

Go under the video settings for the Xbox and turn off HDR and also check if your Xbox is set to dim the display after 30 minutes. Find energy savings settings for the TV and make sure this is off as you don't want any Eco mode running regardless.
Quote:

post #6359 of 6819 Old 01-19-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
It may have to do with the local dimming/HDR/power savings settings on your TV. No TV manufacture, I've owned thus far has made this straight forward to simply toggle so the easiest, most definitive way is to toggle at the source.

Go under the video settings for the Xbox and turn off HDR and also check if your Xbox is set to dim the display after 30 minutes. Find energy savings settings for the TV and make sure this is off as you don't want any Eco mode running regardless.

The power saving in the tv I turned off when I got it so it’s not the tv.

The Xbox just darkens the image no matter what ur doing on it after 30ish mins. And since it’s doing it on gameplay can it really be inactivity?
post #6360 of 6819 Old 01-19-2019, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Make sure under picture settings you have motion eye care disabled also. Since we talking gameing look under picture game mode for this setting. As for inactivty, My screen will dim during a cutscene if 2 minutes or more goes by without gamepad interaction. Xbox will ridiculouly recognize a cutscene as inactivity.

Quote:
Quote:

The power saving in the tv I turned off when I got it so it’s not the tv.

The Xbox just darkens the image no matter what ur doing on it after 30ish mins. And since it’s doing it on gameplay can it really be inactivity?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
enhanced , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page