The Official Xbox One X thread - Page 221 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3631Likes

post #6601 of 6691 Old 05-09-2019, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
When playing Kingdom Hearts on my new LG C9 in 4K I get terrible screen tearing. When I set my X to output 1440p 120Hz it runs beautifully. So what’s going on, why do I need to run KH3 at 120?
I remember Digital Foundry talking about this. I think it was in their recent Devil May Cry 5 analysis. But that was specifically about improved frame pacing when the game couldn't lock to 60fps and the display output was set to 120Hz. This was because the additional frames enabled the renderer to display duplicate frames for shorter durations. It would follow that when KH3 tears, I'm assuming it uses an adaptive vsync, the time between an incomplete frame buffer and a complete one would be shorter. And therefore, also the delta of an object's screen position on either side of the tear line. This would make it less noticeable.
aaronwt likes this.

Gamer Tag: Todd Stevens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6602 of 6691 Old 05-09-2019, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
When playing Kingdom Hearts on my new LG C9 in 4K I get terrible screen tearing. When I set my X to output 1440p 120Hz it runs beautifully. So what’s going on, why do I need to run KH3 at 120?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is it just tearing or flickering too? Rtings reviewed the new C9 and said LG is working on a fix for VRR issues:

"We tested it for compatibility with the Xbox One, and it does appear to work, but only in SDR. If HDR is enabled on the Xbox and you are in Game mode, the screen flickers constantly. LG has confirmed that they are working on a fix. Unfortunately, it isn't possible to determine the VRR range with an Xbox One."
post #6603 of 6691 Old 05-11-2019, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1555 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjs06c View Post
Is it just tearing or flickering too? Rtings reviewed the new C9 and said LG is working on a fix for VRR issues:

"We tested it for compatibility with the Xbox One, and it does appear to work, but only in SDR. If HDR is enabled on the Xbox and you are in Game mode, the screen flickers constantly. LG has confirmed that they are working on a fix. Unfortunately, it isn't possible to determine the VRR range with an Xbox One."

It was just tearing and only on Kingdom Hearts 3. The C9 has been nothing but flawless for me otherwise. Great display for gaming and movies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6604 of 6691 Old 05-12-2019, 04:52 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Ok, after playing with PC mode and a dozen of HDR games for a couple of days:

• ALL PROFILES UPDATED TO V7.2 ULTIMATE (with minor tweaks, and all aligned with the goal to have the same PQ switching between them)
  • ADDED 2 OPTIONS FOR X1X/GAMING (Option 1: based on regular SDR/HDR Game; Option 2: based on PC Input/Mode + Input lag FIX!)
  • Firmware 5.80.15 or above is required
  • Added new in-game HDR suggested settings for Option 2

See the OP for more details and new Option 2 links, and let me know which is the Option you like the most.

Have fun!
-P
post #6605 of 6691 Old 05-14-2019, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4279 Post(s)
Liked: 2414
I'm considering sending back my Xbox One X because it's not working correctly for both audio and video when using the streaming apps. It seems that when you set HDR and Atmos ON, it up converts everything to HDR10 and Atmos. Is this by design? You would think since this device has been out for at least a year and a half, Microsoft would have fixed this? Maybe it's something I'm doing wrong in settings? I was with Xbox support for at least 45 minutes asking about this and they wanted me to reset the box before I finally hung up and gave up.

lujan
506 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
post #6606 of 6691 Old 05-14-2019, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked: 4030
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I'm considering sending back my Xbox One X because it's not working correctly for both audio and video when using the streaming apps. It seems that when you set HDR and Atmos ON, it up converts everything to HDR10 and Atmos. Is this by design? You would think since this device has been out for at least a year and a half, Microsoft would have fixed this? Maybe it's something I'm doing wrong in settings? I was with Xbox support for at least 45 minutes asking about this and they wanted me to reset the box before I finally hung up and gave up.
The HDR10 always-on issue is designed by who made the app, ala Netflix. Same thing happens on the Playstation. This is not an issue for games.

The Atmos always-on issue is a "fix" for some AVRs that won't switch correctly between Atmos and non-Atmos. For Atmos content this fix works as intended, and non-Atmos material is presented in 7.1, 5.1, or stereo (depending on the source) in an Atmos wrapper, with the extra channels being silent. This fix sends the correct channels to the proper speakers, however it doesn't allow any upmixing of non-Atmos material yet. Microsoft is working on adding selectable (optional) built-in Dolby upmixing for non-Atmos material, but we are still waiting for this update.

In other words, your Xbox is working as designed. If that isn't what you want, returning the console might be your best option.
post #6607 of 6691 Old 05-14-2019, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
Microsoft is working on adding selectable (optional) built-in Dolby upmixing for non-Atmos material, but we are still waiting for this update.
I've had this functionality for at least 2 months now via the insider program. It works well, comparable to my AVR's upmixing at least. I haven't seen any issues brought up about via feedback and thought it was already made generally available.

Quote:
I'm considering sending back my Xbox One X
Play some games and have fun!
DaverJ likes this.

Last edited by Sorax; 05-14-2019 at 09:30 AM.
post #6608 of 6691 Old 05-14-2019, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4279 Post(s)
Liked: 2414
Quote:
... Microsoft is working on adding selectable (optional) built-in Dolby upmixing for non-Atmos material, but we are still waiting for this update.

In other words, your Xbox is working as designed. If that isn't what you want, returning the console might be your best option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorax View Post
I've had this functionality for at least 2 months now via the insider program. It works well, comparable to my AVR's upmixing at least. I haven't seen any issues brought up about via feedback and thought it was already made generally available.

Maybe I'll keep it if they're going to fix this issue? How do you participate in the "insider program"?

lujan
506 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
post #6609 of 6691 Old 05-14-2019, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

Play some games and have fun!
Do you also have access to dtsx sound? If it just for headphones or will it be an option for avrs? I'm an insider but haven't seen this update yet. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
post #6610 of 6691 Old 05-14-2019, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Lightbulb

Big news for Red Dead Redempion 2 owners: Rockstar fixed its HDR in the latest patch!

​​​​New suggested settings for:

Option 1:
  • HDR Style: Game
  • Luminance: 4.000
  • White point: 120

Option 2:
  • Luminance: 2.000

Click here or on my signature for more info and calibrated settings for both Consoles, LG 2017 OLED TVs and Games.

It's so much better now, so better late than never...

Enjoy!
Sorax and AaronTV like this.
post #6611 of 6691 Old 05-14-2019, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Maybe I'll keep it if they're going to fix this issue? How do you participate in the "insider program"?
Check out this link for instructions on how to enroll: Get the Xbox Insider Hub App. The program has several rings, which are increasingly cutting edge, or immature depending on your perspective. You'll be invited to new rings depending on your participation. I enjoy it.

Also, I recommend this demo that shows off the new features the X model brought with it. Insects: An Xbox One X Enhanced Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viscious82 View Post
Do you also have access to dtsx sound? If it just for headphones or will it be an option for avrs? I'm an insider but haven't seen this update yet. Thanks.
I'll check when I get home and let ya know.
lujan and asabrag like this.

post #6612 of 6691 Old 05-14-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Check out this link for instructions on how to enroll: Get the Xbox Insider Hub App. The program has several rings, which are increasingly cutting edge, or immature depending on your perspective. You'll be invited to new rings depending on your participation. I enjoy it.

Also, I recommend this demo that shows off the new features the X model brought with it. Insects: An Xbox One X Enhanced Experience

Thanks.

post #6613 of 6691 Old 05-14-2019, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2147 Post(s)
Liked: 2438
Quote:
Originally Posted by P40L0 View Post
Big news for Red Dead Redempion 2 owners: Rockstar fixed its HDR in the latest patch!

​​​​New suggested settings for:

Option 1:
  • Luminance: 4.000

Option 2:
  • Luminance: 2.000

Click here or on my signature for more info and calibrated settings for both Consoles, LG 2017 OLED TVs and Games.

It's so much better now, so better late than never...

Enjoy!
Looking like they just did some tweaks but didn't really overall.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#e13c0491cf5c

You have you peak luminance in both options at least twice as bright as the display's capability so you are invoking a significant amount of tonemapping.
post #6614 of 6691 Old 05-15-2019, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks.
Not seeing DTS:X anywhere. And there hasn't been an update I see from anyone official on the insider forum for a while. So for now, Atmos is the only object-based sound codec available, which is fine by me. But options are always good and I'll keep an eye out.

post #6615 of 6691 Old 05-15-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Not seeing DTS:X anywhere. And there hasn't been an update I see from anyone official on the insider forum for a while. So for now, Atmos is the only object-based sound codec available, which is fine by me. But options are always good and I'll keep an eye out.
Thanks for checking. It's supposed to be an upcoming feature but there isn't much information about it.

post #6616 of 6691 Old 05-18-2019, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2289 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
Looking like they just did some tweaks but didn't really overall.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#e13c0491cf5c

You have you peak luminance in both options at least twice as bright as the display's capability so you are invoking a significant amount of tonemapping.

Your z9d can handle it!

DocACE911 on Steam, XBOX, PS4
"Kill Cancer or Die"
Custom Z9 Game Settings For SDR and HDR
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
Loving Wife and 4 year old Son who tolerate this expense!
post #6617 of 6691 Old 05-22-2019, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Looking for basic headset recommendation for xbox one X ( purchase in Canada)-
Just started browsing
Most of my gaming will be thru my home theater system but my brother wanted to try some co-op MP-
- guess they plug directly into controller?

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #6618 of 6691 Old 05-22-2019, 06:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 43
There are a variety of gaming headsets made specifically for the XBox line. I bought one for my daughter and it came with a dongle that connected to the controller. That dongle seems to work fine with other headsets as well.

Here are a few examples...

https://www.gamesradar.com/xbox-one-headset/
GPBURNS likes this.

Onkyo TX RZ830, Chane 3600, AudioSource AMP100VS, XBox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500, NVIDIA Shield, D-Link 16-Port Gigabit Switch, Caavo, Control Center, 2 x KEF Q900's Mains, 1 x KEF Q650C Center, 4 x KEF Q100's Surrounds, 4 x RSL C34E's ATMOS, 4 x Chane SBE-118's
post #6619 of 6691 Old 05-22-2019, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post
Just started browsing
Most of my gaming will be thru my home theater system but my brother wanted to try some co-op MP-
I have a pair of HyperX that have worked well for 4-5 years. I think that they are the Cloud model that plugs directly into the Xbox controller. While they don’t sound quite as good as the Turtle Beach headsets that I have had, the HyperX’s are much more durable. The Turtle Beach headsets would only last a couple of years before the plastic pieces would start cracking and falling off, rendering the headset useless.
GPBURNS likes this.
post #6620 of 6691 Old 05-22-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:

Just started browsing

I got a pair of wired bone conduction headphones that work well for chat. I got these headphones because I want to be able to hear full dolby Atmos sound from my home theater while chatting. Just had to disable dolby Atmos for headphones to get this setup to work. The one that I use is linked below.

AfterShokz Sportz Titanium with Mic - Wired Open-Ear Bone Conduction Headphones with Microphone - Onyx Black - 4 ft Wire - 12 Hr Battery Life - 2 Hr Charge Time - Standard 3.5 mm Audio Jack (AS401XB) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N51R0GL..._GDw5Cb2MBAQYM

post #6621 of 6691 Old 05-22-2019, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

Just started browsing

I use an AKG-K712 headphone that has very good imaging and sounds better than any gaming headphone. It plugs into the controller of my PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. I do not want a microphone, but one can be added.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #6622 of 6691 Old 05-22-2019, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
I got a pair of wired bone conduction headphones that work well for chat. I got these headphones because I want to be able to hear full dolby Atmos sound from my home theater while chatting. Just had to disable dolby Atmos for headphones to get this setup to work. The one that I use is linked below.

AfterShokz Sportz Titanium with Mic - Wired Open-Ear Bone Conduction Headphones with Microphone - Onyx Black - 4 ft Wire - 12 Hr Battery Life - 2 Hr Charge Time - Standard 3.5 mm Audio Jack (AS401XB) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N51R0GL..._GDw5Cb2MBAQYM

Is there a wireless chat earpiece for the One?

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #6623 of 6691 Old 05-23-2019, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:

That Insects: An Xbox One X Enhanced Experience is a great Demo for Sound and Video to show off
Sorax and asabrag like this.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #6624 of 6691 Old 05-24-2019, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 658
thanks for headphone recommendations- bestbuy in Canada has basic Xbox One Stereo Headset on sale now for 29 ! this week - going to pick one up to try - if sucks will get something better

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #6625 of 6691 Old 05-27-2019, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Noticed today when I starting playing The Surge that my X would turn dark grey it was going into screen saver mode then go back to normal. I thought it was that game, but now I'm watching a movie on Netflix and it's doing the same thing

I checked my system update and it's showing it updated this morning at 12:27am
Latest version I have is
19h1_release_xbox_dev_1906.190525-1924

It's pretty damn annoying having the screen darken every 30-45 seconds

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #6626 of 6691 Old 05-27-2019, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
Noticed today when I starting playing The Surge that my X would turn dark grey it was going into screen saver mode then go back to normal. I thought it was that game, but now I'm watching a movie on Netflix and it's doing the same thing

I checked my system update and it's showing it updated this morning at 12:27am
Latest version I have is
19h1_release_xbox_dev_1906.190525-1924

It's pretty damn annoying having the screen darken every 30-45 seconds

It is in settings under preference/idle options to change from 2 to 60 minutes. Not sure why they didn’t add an off feature.

The 5.0 is here
post #6627 of 6691 Old 05-27-2019, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

But the weird thing is if an app is running the system is not idle.

Mine was set at 10 minutes. Bumped it up to 60 to see if that makes a difference

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides

Last edited by Arutha_conDoin; 05-27-2019 at 05:20 PM.
post #6628 of 6691 Old 05-28-2019, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 357
I am thinking of getting a Xbox One X mainly for Netflix and Amazon streaming in Atmos. I was planning to get an Apple TV 4K but for ~$200 more I am thinking maybe an Xbox One X. I have a PS4 Pro now that I use occasionally.

Does the Xbox One X streaming have any downside? Does it lock into HDR and HDR simulation or anything or divert non-Atmos into Atmos metadata packet or any bug like those that would lower quality of non-HDR or non-Atmos streaming?
post #6629 of 6691 Old 05-28-2019, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
The HDR10 always-on issue is designed by who made the app, ala Netflix. Same thing happens on the Playstation. This is not an issue for games.

The Atmos always-on issue is a "fix" for some AVRs that won't switch correctly between Atmos and non-Atmos. For Atmos content this fix works as intended, and non-Atmos material is presented in 7.1, 5.1, or stereo (depending on the source) in an Atmos wrapper, with the extra channels being silent. This fix sends the correct channels to the proper speakers, however it doesn't allow any upmixing of non-Atmos material yet. Microsoft is working on adding selectable (optional) built-in Dolby upmixing for non-Atmos material, but we are still waiting for this update.

Is this a bug-feature in latest Xbox One X systems? Will it happen on the most up-to-date patch?
post #6630 of 6691 Old 05-28-2019, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

No such thing as bug free any more.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander