The Official Xbox One X thread - Page 222 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3625Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6631 of 6669 Old 05-31-2019, 08:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
I am thinking of getting a Xbox One X mainly for Netflix and Amazon streaming in Atmos. I was planning to get an Apple TV 4K but for ~$200 more I am thinking maybe an Xbox One X. I have a PS4 Pro now that I use occasionally.

Does the Xbox One X streaming have any downside? Does it lock into HDR and HDR simulation or anything or divert non-Atmos into Atmos metadata packet or any bug like those that would lower quality of non-HDR or non-Atmos streaming?
Netflix has hdr always on in xbox 1 x app even if content is not hdr...no idea why. I use my tvs internal app instead.
aaronwt likes this.
OwnerOfLg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6632 of 6669 Old 05-31-2019, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
checker9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,153
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1490 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnerOfLg View Post
Netflix has hdr always on in xbox 1 x app even if content is not hdr...no idea why. I use my tvs internal app instead.
Thanks for the reply. That makes my decision for me as watching Netflix on it would be important.
checker9 is offline  
post #6633 of 6669 Old 05-31-2019, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
Sorax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
Thanks for the reply. That makes my decision for me as watching Netflix on it would be important.
For what it's worth, it appears to me that the Xbox Netflix app implements tone-mapping for non-hdr content. I'm sure this introduces some inaccuracies but we are talking about streaming video which already comes with a list of caveats. I compared an episode of The Office played from a DVD and the Xbox Netflix App, and the differences I detected were negligible. So while I would much prefer the app switch to HDR output when appropriate, it really hasn't affected my usage of it.
DaverJ and Holmes108 like this.

Gamer Tag: Todd Stevens
Sorax is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6634 of 6669 Old 05-31-2019, 12:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
Thanks for the reply. That makes my decision for me as watching Netflix on it would be important.
I bought the xbox one x for the 4k blu ray and for some gaming. I have a LG65C8 and the smart hub does not give access to Showtime for xfinity customers. Therefore I tried using them on the xbox one x.
One thing to note is that you have to have the correct audio settings on the xbox when you are watching 5.1 or atmos content. If you keep the audio setting on atmos and you are watching something in 5.1 or 7.1 it will try to pass it through in atmos, and the sound will not be presented properly. Because of the sound issues and since the $400-$500 xbox value mostly comes from the 4k blu ray and gaming, I don't want the lifespan to be lessened through streaming when I can get a 4k roku for $30 (was on sale) or amazon 4k stick ($40 which is still on sale).
Just want to present you with more downsides of the xbox's streaming apps and options because I'm really happy with my choice.

Kim
[email protected] is online now  
post #6635 of 6669 Old 05-31-2019, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
checker9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,153
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1490 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I bought the xbox one x for the 4k blu ray and for some gaming. I have a LG65C8 and the smart hub does not give access to Showtime for xfinity customers. Therefore I tried using them on the xbox one x.
One thing to note is that you have to have the correct audio settings on the xbox when you are watching 5.1 or atmos content. If you keep the audio setting on atmos and you are watching something in 5.1 or 7.1 it will try to pass it through in atmos, and the sound will not be presented properly. Because of the sound issues and since the $400-$500 xbox value mostly comes from the 4k blu ray and gaming, I don't want the lifespan to be lessened through streaming when I can get a 4k roku for $30 (was on sale) or amazon 4k stick ($40 which is still on sale).
Just want to present you with more downsides of the xbox's streaming apps and options because I'm really happy with my choice.
Thanks I will probably get an Apple TV 4K unit. It and the Xbox One devices are the only devices that do Atmos with both Amazon and Netflix. Since the Apple TV 4K unit is already $170+, I was exploring paying another $200 more for an Xbox One X unit but if it does not handle non-Atmos audio (I read that since it adds empty meta data your AVR will not do height speaker upmixing since it thinks those channels are in use natively by the blank Atmos envelop) nor video (modifies SDR content to faux HDR) well, it would not be worth it to me.
checker9 is offline  
post #6636 of 6669 Old 06-02-2019, 12:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorax View Post
For what it's worth, it appears to me that the Xbox Netflix app implements tone-mapping for non-hdr content. I'm sure this introduces some inaccuracies but we are talking about streaming video which already comes with a list of caveats. I compared an episode of The Office played from a DVD and the Xbox Netflix App, and the differences I detected were negligible. So while I would much prefer the app switch to HDR output when appropriate, it really hasn't affected my usage of it.
Funny thing is, even panasonic 4k players have this same thing going on ...hdr always on in netflix app. Why is it only tv apps work as they should? Unless it's really how netflix wanted it.
OwnerOfLg is offline  
post #6637 of 6669 Old 06-02-2019, 07:21 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Checker9, what kind of tv do you have? The Apple TV 4K is 200 and roku 4K premiere is on sale for 35 now. Paying greater than 471% more is a big difference. I’m not sure Netflix Dolby Atmos is that great tooo. I don’t have a Netflix 4K account (use someone else’s hd account) but I watched jack ryan on amazon in Dolby vision and Atmos and tv shows aren’t really big budget enough to hear big explosions that get the height effects and are truly immersive. Just something to think about...And Netflix will probably add Dolby Atmos to more platforms that can play Dolby Atmos in the next year.

Kim
[email protected] is online now  
post #6638 of 6669 Old 06-04-2019, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
EllisGJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 536
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Sound Settings Change Spontaneously

My sound settings change on their own from Bitstream / Atmos to 7.1 Uncompressed / DTS. I can change the settings back to Bitstream, but for a reason unknown to me, they will revert to 7.1 periodically.

My system (including a Yamaha CX-A5100 preprocessor) supports Atmos and I have no issues with other devices.

Any ideas would could be causing the change? Appreciate your thoughts.
EllisGJ is offline  
post #6639 of 6669 Old 06-04-2019, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
JeffChap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmond OK
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisGJ View Post
My sound settings change on their own from Bitstream / Atmos to 7.1 Uncompressed / DTS. I can change the settings back to Bitstream, but for a reason unknown to me, they will revert to 7.1 periodically.



My system (including a Yamaha CX-A5100 preprocessor) supports Atmos and I have no issues with other devices.



Any ideas would could be causing the change? Appreciate your thoughts.
Mine does this too. Perhaps any time a console update is received?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
JeffChap is online now  
post #6640 of 6669 Old 06-04-2019, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Arutha_conDoin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,733
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffChap View Post
Mine does this too. Perhaps any time a console update is received?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Hmm interesting. I'll have to look into that and see if mine reverts back next update

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
Arutha_conDoin is offline  
post #6641 of 6669 Old 06-04-2019, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
Sorax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffChap View Post
Mine does this too. Perhaps any time a console update is received?
This has been an ongoing issue. I also think it's caused by system updates. Since I've been on the Skip Ahead Alpha ring, the updates are so frequent that I've taken to checking the sound settings every time I boot up. However, the last 2 updates didn't change the settings so maybe it's fixed? We'll see.

Gamer Tag: Todd Stevens
Sorax is offline  
post #6642 of 6669 Old 06-05-2019, 05:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Ezra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 47
This happens to me each time I plug in non Atmos headphones into my controller.
Jets69 likes this.
Ezra is offline  
post #6643 of 6669 Old 06-05-2019, 05:29 AM
Member
 
Renatto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Hungary - EU
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisGJ View Post
My sound settings change on their own from Bitstream / Atmos to 7.1 Uncompressed / DTS. I can change the settings back to Bitstream, but for a reason unknown to me, they will revert to 7.1 periodically.

My system (including a Yamaha CX-A5100 preprocessor) supports Atmos and I have no issues with other devices.

Any ideas would could be causing the change? Appreciate your thoughts.

I have the same issue, but I bet it's a bug with the new updates (I'm in preview Alpha Skip Ahead). I already got this months ago, several times, but they always resolved after few days with a new update.

Last time I got a CEC problem (even the Xbox was off), because a new Xbox update, but fortunately they fixed it fast.

Dolby Atmos 5.2.4 - Yamaha RX-A2080 - Klipsch RP-280F - RP-450C - RP-250S - RP-140SA - R-112SW - LG OLED 55B7 - HiMedia Q30 - Xbox One X SE
Renatto is offline  
post #6644 of 6669 Old 06-05-2019, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
EllisGJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 536
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
This happens to me each time I plug in non Atmos headphones into my controller.
I think something similar causes the problem on my system. I want to test more to be sure, but I believe starting the Xbox before my AVR causes the problem, as does powering down the AVR before the Xbox.
EllisGJ is offline  
post #6645 of 6669 Old 06-05-2019, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
davehale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: US, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo SuperCluster
Posts: 1,095
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Selling My Xbox One X Scorpio

Do I need to reset before selling and should I delete my Games?

I only needed the X-Box for my grandchildren. Unfortunately I will see them again when Andromeda is out next year. Since they are only 6 and 4 years old their parents don't allow them to play just yet. If I delete my games can I re-download from the MS Store where I bought them? My Scorpio has just been sitting here unused for the most part.

Sony 75Z9D, Denon 4300H, Sony 65Z9D, Denon X4311, OPPO UDP-203, ATV4K, X1X Scorpio
davehale is offline  
post #6646 of 6669 Old 06-05-2019, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DaverJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 9,720
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked: 4030
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehale View Post
Selling My Xbox One X Scorpio

Do I need to reset before selling and should I delete my Games?

I only needed the X-Box for my grandchildren. Unfortunately I will see them again when Andromeda is out next year. Since they are only 6 and 4 years old their parents don't allow them to play just yet. If I delete my games can I re-download from the MS Store where I bought them? My Scorpio has just been sitting here unused for the most part.
https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-...ctory-defaults
davehale likes this.
DaverJ is online now  
post #6647 of 6669 Old 06-06-2019, 12:10 PM
Member
 
Renatto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Hungary - EU
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehale View Post
Selling My Xbox One X Scorpio

Do I need to reset before selling and should I delete my Games?
If you just delete your Gamertag you are fine. If this Xbox is your Home Xbox and bought digital games, If you leave the games on the hard drive, then the new owner can use them (until you set up an other Xbox to your "Home Xbox" with your gamertag). If you don't want this, you can delete everything or factory reset the console.
davehale and Holmes108 like this.

Dolby Atmos 5.2.4 - Yamaha RX-A2080 - Klipsch RP-280F - RP-450C - RP-250S - RP-140SA - R-112SW - LG OLED 55B7 - HiMedia Q30 - Xbox One X SE
Renatto is offline  
post #6648 of 6669 Old 06-10-2019, 12:30 PM
Senior Member
 
SuperMiguel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So im about to finish my small home theater setup, got a 4k projector the Benq Ht3550, a decent 5.1 sound system and currently have a 4k apple tv (thinking about switching it for the nvidia shield). And im thinking about getting a player for physical media. And the xbox one x came up on the list, so Is there really that much difference between the image/sound quality between and xbox one x and a dedicated blu-ray player?
SuperMiguel is offline  
post #6649 of 6669 Old 06-10-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gary J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 4000' or sea level
Posts: 8,573
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Checker9, what kind of tv do you have? The Apple TV 4K is 200 and roku 4K premiere is on sale for 35 now. Paying greater than 471% more is a big difference. I’m not sure Netflix Dolby Atmos is that great tooo. I don’t have a Netflix 4K account (use someone else’s hd account) but I watched jack ryan on amazon in Dolby vision and Atmos and tv shows aren’t really big budget enough to hear big explosions that get the height effects and are truly immersive. Just something to think about...And Netflix will probably add Dolby Atmos to more platforms that can play Dolby Atmos in the next year.
Jack Ryan cost $64M to make.
aaronwt and OddyOh like this.
Gary J is online now  
post #6650 of 6669 Old 06-10-2019, 01:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMiguel View Post
So im about to finish my small home theater setup, got a 4k projector the Benq Ht3550, a decent 5.1 sound system and currently have a 4k apple tv (thinking about switching it for the nvidia shield). And im thinking about getting a player for physical media. And the xbox one x came up on the list, so Is there really that much difference between the image/sound quality between and xbox one x and a dedicated blu-ray player?

There might not be a difference between the two in image/sound, but there's nothing better than watching a disk on an actual disk player. The Xbox disk player software interface isn't as good as the Sony disk players I've used. Also the Xbox doesn't support HDMI CEC for the remote. You have to use the Xbox controller, or their media remote, or something like a Harmony hub remote. I use my Xbox instead of a BD player just so I don't have so many devices hooked up at the same time.
Tfid is offline  
post #6651 of 6669 Old 06-10-2019, 01:30 PM
Senior Member
 
SuperMiguel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfid View Post
There might not be a difference between the two in image/sound, but there's nothing better than watching a disk on an actual disk player. The Xbox disk player software interface isn't as good as the Sony disk players I've used. Also the Xbox doesn't support HDMI CEC for the remote. You have to use the Xbox controller, or their media remote, or something like a Harmony hub remote. I use my Xbox instead of a BD player just so I don't have so many devices hooked up at the same time.
I see many bluray players out there, but for $299 can you get anything better than the xbox one x?
SuperMiguel is offline  
post #6652 of 6669 Old 06-11-2019, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,575
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Not full Dolby Atmos with USB and VLC

I have all the Dolby demo discs on a USB and I have noticed that when I play them through my Xbox X via the VLC app there is absolutly no audio coming from my rear heights. It essentially is making my 5.1.4 system like a 5.1.2. This is the case on all the demos. The front heights and all the other speakers work just fine and Dolby atmos shows on the NAD. I have isolated this to the Xbox X and/or the VLC.
1. The same USB demos play on ALL the speakers (all 4 heights) when played through my NVIDIA shield.
2. Blu rays that are atmos play on all the speakers as well on the same XBOX X.
The reason I don’t just play it all on the Shield is because the shield doesn’t properly display any of the titles or icon pics of the USB files and also the XBOX for some reason is louder/more dynamic sound with the demos even though they don’t include the rear height pair. (I know it doesn’t seem it should be a different sound but I confirmed through dozens of back and fourth between the devices back to back with different files)
Does anyone know why this would be the case (no sound from rear heights on VLC app) or how to fix and also why the Xbox plays louder/more dynamic bass etc then the shield from the same USB with the same volume on receiver?

Sony 75Z9D, Samsung 65JS9500
Monitor Audio Gold 200(2), Gold 350, Gold 50(2), Gold CT280-IDC(4). SVS PC4000(2).
NAD 758, Anthem MCA-5
Apple TV 4K, Nvidea Shield. Mac Mini (2018). Samsung UHD BluRay and X-Box One X. 14 Sonos
Chirosamsung is offline  
post #6653 of 6669 Old 06-11-2019, 01:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMiguel View Post
I see many bluray players out there, but for $299 can you get anything better than the xbox one x?

For just playing movie disks, yes you can get a better player than the Xbox one X for about half the price of an Xbox one X. I got the Sony x700 player, but I gave it away when I got my Xbox one X, but I sort of miss it now for various reasons. The Sony player might not be 'better' when looking at the actual movie while playing, but it's user interface 'implementation' is better IMO.
Tfid is offline  
post #6654 of 6669 Old 06-11-2019, 04:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Jack Ryan cost $64 million (thanks for letting me know) but it still doesn’t have height sounds of a mad max, John wick 2, aqua man, or Disney’s awful soundtracks in their marvel movies. There aren’t many actions scenes in it that use the height effects well enough to justify the huge cost difference IN MY opinion. Perhaps it does in his but I just want to inform him that it’s not a game changer with the streaming series in my option. I just want checker9 if the difference in cost between the two streamers is justified to him based upon the info I gave.
The streaming Atmos is lossy as well, and very few movies are offered in Atmos and 4K hdr in a monthly streaming subscription based service other than some on Netflix. I think if he watches movies he’d likely be better off buying or renting 4kdvds and using a cheaper streamer. He’ll get a lot more immersion with the movies played on 4K dvd.

Kim
[email protected] is online now  
post #6655 of 6669 Old 06-12-2019, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
EllisGJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 536
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMiguel View Post
... Is there really that much difference between the image/sound quality between and xbox one x and a dedicated blu-ray player?
No, there is not.
EllisGJ is offline  
post #6656 of 6669 Old 06-12-2019, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gary J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 4000' or sea level
Posts: 8,573
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Jack Ryan cost $64 million (thanks for letting me know) but it still doesn’t have height sounds of a mad max, John wick 2, aqua man, or Disney’s awful soundtracks in their marvel movies.
Ok we are off the budget and on to the mix. By the way it sounds quite immersive on my secondary system with the Samsung Atmos soundbar.


Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisGJ View Post
No, there is not.
A/V chips are a commodity. They are likely the same ones used across many devices.
Gary J is online now  
post #6657 of 6669 Old 06-12-2019, 09:33 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
Ok we are off the budget and on to the mix. By the way it sounds quite immersive on my secondary system with the Samsung Atmos soundbar.




A/V chips are a commodity. They are likely the same ones used across many devices.
I mentioned the budget because of the correlation to the soundtrack. It doesn't seem to be as strong a correlation that I thought it was but it still is directly correlated. Checker9 was talking about paying $200 instead of $40 for a streamer just so it plays Atmos for Netflix in 4k in the message I responded to so I thought you would get it. I agree that Ryan is immersive (it also is on my 5.1.2 home theater) and I never said it wasn't but its just not a huge game changer for me like the difference between listening to a hbo go soundtrack and watching the movie on a 4k dvd with an atmos soundtrack. Ryan just doesn't have the constant action that an Avengers or John Wick has so it just doesn't make as much use of Atmos.

Kim
[email protected] is online now  
post #6658 of 6669 Old 06-12-2019, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gary J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 4000' or sea level
Posts: 8,573
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I mentioned the budget because of the correlation to the soundtrack. It doesn't seem to be as strong a correlation that I thought it was but it still is directly correlated. Checker9 was talking about paying $200 instead of $40 for a streamer just so it plays Atmos for Netflix in 4k in the message I responded to so I thought you would get it. I agree that Ryan is immersive (it also is on my 5.1.2 home theater) and I never said it wasn't but its just not a huge game changer for me like the difference between listening to a hbo go soundtrack and watching the movie on a 4k dvd with an atmos soundtrack. Ryan just doesn't have the constant action that an Avengers or John Wick has so it just doesn't make as much use of Atmos.
It makes use of Atmos 100% of the time and less explosions make them more impactful than "constant action" IMO.
aaronwt likes this.
Gary J is online now  
post #6659 of 6669 Old 06-12-2019, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,575
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirosamsung View Post
I have all the Dolby demo discs on a USB and I have noticed that when I play them through my Xbox X via the VLC app there is absolutly no audio coming from my rear heights. It essentially is making my 5.1.4 system like a 5.1.2. This is the case on all the demos. The front heights and all the other speakers work just fine and Dolby atmos shows on the NAD. I have isolated this to the Xbox X and/or the VLC.
1. The same USB demos play on ALL the speakers (all 4 heights) when played through my NVIDIA shield.
2. Blu rays that are atmos play on all the speakers as well on the same XBOX X.
The reason I don’t just play it all on the Shield is because the shield doesn’t properly display any of the titles or icon pics of the USB files and also the XBOX for some reason is louder/more dynamic sound with the demos even though they don’t include the rear height pair. (I know it doesn’t seem it should be a different sound but I confirmed through dozens of back and fourth between the devices back to back with different files)
Does anyone know why this would be the case (no sound from rear heights on VLC app) or how to fix and also why the Xbox plays louder/more dynamic bass etc then the shield from the same USB with the same volume on receiver?
Bump

Sony 75Z9D, Samsung 65JS9500
Monitor Audio Gold 200(2), Gold 350, Gold 50(2), Gold CT280-IDC(4). SVS PC4000(2).
NAD 758, Anthem MCA-5
Apple TV 4K, Nvidea Shield. Mac Mini (2018). Samsung UHD BluRay and X-Box One X. 14 Sonos
Chirosamsung is offline  
post #6660 of 6669 Old 06-13-2019, 07:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
It makes use of Atmos 100% of the time and less explosions make them more impactful than "constant action" IMO.
To each their own then I guess....I find it most effective in action scenes but I can see how it can be effective in anything.

Kim
[email protected] is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
enhanced , xbox one x

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off