The Official Xbox One X thread - Page 224 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3688Likes

post #6691 of 6820 Old 06-24-2019, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post
I currently have a Samsung LED DLP, Pioneer Elite SC-07 and Xbox One X. I do all media through the Xbox One X. TrueHD and DTS-MA from blurays comes through on the receiver fine and all channels are playing.

Using test demo MKVs with TrueHD and DTS:MA, I cannot seem to make the receiver say anything but some form of Dolby Digital. Take for instance the most simple DDTrueHD 7.1 channel check. When played and it cycles around the speakers and gets to the back left and right sounds, it just plays them in the Left or right sounds.

Even when I cycle through my AVR sound settings, still outputs DD. For example, even when I am in Stream Direct (which takes out my MCACC calibration, I still get Dolby Digital on those clips. Doesn't matter if it's a DD or DTS clip I am playing, still says DD. I have 2 media servers I am playing these clips from (PLEX and Serviio) and 2 different app players on xbox (PLEX and the MS Media Player). All servers and players exhibit the same Dolby Digital on the AVR.

Is there something I am not doing in either my AVR, Xbox One X or media servers that are not allowing these codecs to pass from an MKV file? Could something be set somewhere that takes whatever comes in and converts down to Dolby Digital?

These are the Xbox audio settings that I have: https://imgur.com/gallery/euK2abC Changing to LPCM didn't make those channels work either.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-...ps/mkv-support

Notice the minimal audio codec support, including (ironic) DTS exclusion.

The most likely explanation for your DD playback is that both Plex and Serviio are detecting your XB1X and utilizing their XB1X profiles that utilize enabled server-based transcoding (into DD in this case).

XB1X/S/etc do not make good primary (or even secondary) media streaming clients due to the utter lack of codec/format support coupled with "always on" (with forced transcoding) audio/video settings (such as Dolby Atmos/Vision & HDR, or even DD/DTS).

You would be better served (no pun intended) looking elsewhere for streaming media client support (such as an inexpensive and/or dedicated streamer device).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6692 of 6820 Old 06-25-2019, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Atmos on Amazon Video app yet?

65" 900E Tee Vee | Denon 6300H AVR | PSA MTM-210s | PSA MTM-210c | PSA MTM-110s | Canton 880 InCeilings | Rythmik FV25HP
post #6693 of 6820 Old 06-28-2019, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by javan robinson View Post
So Redux then Exodus, got it!

Thanks guys!
Finished metro 2033 redux - loved it -just started last light redux - its all new stuff and not included in metro redux 2033- so you have 3 to play
-

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6694 of 6820 Old 06-29-2019, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

for those who played Metro last light - how much money did you spend in Venice level

post #6695 of 6820 Old 06-30-2019, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Interesting. Didn't see this on the Game Pass on the Xbox, but browsing on the PC game pass I saw this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Outer Wilds.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	301.3 KB
ID:	2586200  

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #6696 of 6820 Old 07-01-2019, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It's on Xbox too, and you can watch trailers and whatnot, but it doesn't come out until October I think, so it's not listed under game pass, it's just has a store Page. But it does say that it will be included in game pass on launch. Interesting that it's on the computer available for install.

Edit : your screenshot shows a release date of October as well. Is it just a preinstall? Seems early for that.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
post #6697 of 6820 Old 07-01-2019, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Not trolling here. I've gone through 3 X1X's in the last 6 months. First one kept shutting off at startup and wouldn't load games sometimes. The next 2 mainly had issues with disconnecting controllers. The consoles also each froze on me twice at initial startup registration.

The price is really good at some retailers but I'm honestly very nervous because of past issues. Then I read a lot about how some games are freezing and crashing constantly on the 1X, like Metro Exodus. That may be more the fault of the game devs but still don't like to read about that. There are also well reported issues with overheating (thermal paste).

Did any of you have to keep returning consoles until you got a good one?

Last edited by DVD Freaky; 07-01-2019 at 12:39 PM.
post #6698 of 6820 Old 07-01-2019, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
No, not at all. I had the usual issues with the Xbox 360 like many people, had a couple of red rings of death, but I've had the original Xbox one, 2 slims, and now the Xbox One X with no issues at all. Only upgrading them to get newer, better, etc.

All those consoles that I've gotten rid of are still with friends or family that I know too. That sounds like a horrible experience though. I've never really heard of anybody having issues with the new generation, although of course I haven't probably looked into it as deeply as you would have. Definitely haven't heard anything overly mainstream though.

DVD Freaky likes this.
post #6699 of 6820 Old 07-01-2019, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) & Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) Bug

Over the course of the past month, I've been playing around with the Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) and Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) options on my Xbox One X (X1X) as displayed on my LG C9 OLED. I've discovered a bug with how the two features interact (as I will outline below) and through additional research, I believe the bug is on the X1X side. I hope this long post helps somebody...anybody.

Note: On the C9, other than a popup notification that appears when ALLM engages, there is no visible indicator in any menu that the TV is in ALLM. The easiest way to tell if the C9 is in ALLM is to set the picture to Cinema mode and then select Picture Options. If Noise Reduction and Smooth Gradiation are "grayed out" (i.e. unselectable), the TV is in ALLM. Other manufacturers may have indicators and/or different ways of confirming the mode is engaged. A menu indicator for LG would be fantastic.

When I first setup the TV and connected my X1X, I immediately turned on the ALLM functionality on the TV and selected the checkboxes for "Allow auto low-latency mode" and "Allow variable refresh rate" on the X1X. I quickly noticed that in addition to the desired effect of engaging ALLM while gaming, the TV seemed to stay in ALLM mode no matter what I was doing. On the dashboard, using the X1X Netflix App, using the X1X YouTube App, watching cable through my X1X...it was always engaging the low latency mode. The only time I noticed ALLM disengaging was when watching a BluRay or UHD BluRay through the X1X disc player (this is still the only circumstance where I can find the TV disengaging the ALLM when VRR is active).

I posted this concern on the rtings.com discussion boards and Adam Babcock responded with: "Do you have the variable refresh rate feature enabled on the Xbox? It appears that this forces the TV into game mode at all times, even if you aren’t in a game." https://www.rtings.com/tv/discussion...-actually-work

Adam is great, but because I'm a "trust, but verify" type of guy, I went in and unchecked "Allow variable refresh rate" on my X1X and redid my checks. Sure enough, as he suggested, the X1X immediately started behaving differently. The ALLM would only engage when I booted up a game from the dashboard. In all of the other X1X streaming video apps, and while hanging out on the dashboard, ALLM would not kick-in. In other words, once I turned off VRR, the ALLM behaved like I though It should.

But what if I was wrong? What if, despite being counter-intuitive, VRR was supposed to engage ALLM at all times except for disc-based video content on the X1X? Nope, according to HDMI.org, my understanding of ALLM and how it is supposed to work with VRR is correct : "Your gaming box will take care of these choices for you. If you are streaming video or playing a BluRay, it would only enable QMS; if you fire up a game, it would enable ALLM, VRR, and QFT, depending on what your system supports." (emphasis added) https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1/index.aspx

Now, knowing that the way VRR and ALLM were interacting was not according to specification in my setup, it was clearly a bug and not a feature. The question remaining was, is it a problem with the X1X or my LG C9 OLED? I'm still not 100% certain, but I'm growing increasingly convinced that the problem is with the X1X. I've found numerous comments on Reddit where people with different TV sizes and/or manufacturers report encountering this same problem. See a few examples below:

I'm going to do my best to try to get this to the attention of Microsoft, but in the interim, the most practical solution I've found is to turn off VRR on the X1X but keep ALLM active. This way, ALLM behaves properly and I can just turn on VRR when playing the limited games on the system that support it.

Please let me know if you've encountered anything differently with your setup or TV.

TL; DR - ALLM and VRR do not function properly when passed from the X1X. When VRR is on, it forces all content (except disc-based video) in to ALLM. When VRR is off, ALLM functions properly (i.e. only engages during gaming). This appears to be a bug in the way that the X1X is sending the ALLM and VRR flags to the TV.

08/10/2019 UPDATE - It appears Microsoft made a change in a recent system update. I can now confirm that with the Xbox One X set to 1080p/120hz/ALLM-On/VRR-On (on an LG C9) everything works correctly for Gaming and 4k Blu-Rays. It still doesn't work correctly for cable/satellite STB pass-through or streaming video. Here's what my testing on the C9 found:

• Xbox Neftlix App - Resolution is set at 4K (good!), but ALLM does trigger. You can tell because the "instant game response banner" appears when moving from the dashboard to Netflix.

• Xbox Prime App - Resolution is locked at 1080P. 4K Content isn't even available. If you switch back to 4K/60hz you will see the 4K content can be selected (like The Boys). Also, ALLM triggers. You can tell because the "instant game response banner" appears when moving from the dashboard to the Prime app.

• Xbox Hulu App - ALLM triggers. You can tell because the "instant game response banner" appears when moving from the dashboard to the Hulu app.

• Cable TV Passthrough - ALLM triggers. You can tell because the "instant game response banner" appears when moving from the dashboard to the Prime app.

Last edited by RobPT45; 08-10-2019 at 06:54 PM.
post #6700 of 6820 Old 07-01-2019, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by LG8600User View Post
https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-...ps/mkv-support

Notice the minimal audio codec support, including (ironic) DTS exclusion.

The most likely explanation for your DD playback is that both Plex and Serviio are detecting your XB1X and utilizing their XB1X profiles that utilize enabled server-based transcoding (into DD in this case).

XB1X/S/etc do not make good primary (or even secondary) media streaming clients due to the utter lack of codec/format support coupled with "always on" (with forced transcoding) audio/video settings (such as Dolby Atmos/Vision & HDR, or even DD/DTS).

You would be better served (no pun intended) looking elsewhere for streaming media client support (such as an inexpensive and/or dedicated streamer device).
Codec support hasn't been much of an issue since VLC and Kodi have been available on xbox. They will decode anything you throw at them, but yes they Xbox will then mix it with the system audio so there is some lossy mixing that is unavoidable. Still if you set the Xbox audio to Atmos or PCM 7.1, and use kodi or vlc, it's not too shabby. There's no reason to be using plex anymore, it's limited to the base Xbox players codecs, which requires transcoding. VLC and Kodi can decode everything natively, and they both support network shares.
Gary J likes this.
post #6701 of 6820 Old 07-01-2019, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes108 View Post
No, not at all. I had the usual issues with the Xbox 360 like many people, had a couple of red rings of death, but I've had the original Xbox one, 2 slims, and now the Xbox One X with no issues at all. Only upgrading them to get newer, better, etc.

All those consoles that I've gotten rid of are still with friends or family that I know too. That sounds like a horrible experience though. I've never really heard of anybody having issues with the new generation, although of course I haven't probably looked into it as deeply as you would have. Definitely haven't heard anything overly mainstream though.
Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I've just had really bad luck...not sure. It's hard to tell from online accounts, because people usually don't go online to post "I have no issues with my console!". May be worth trying once more, because the prices are really starting to come down. I think Game Pass is a great value that I'd like to get in on and Backwards Compatibility is great for the 360 games I either didn't get to or finish.
post #6702 of 6820 Old 07-02-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes108 View Post
It's on Xbox too, and you can watch trailers and whatnot, but it doesn't come out until October I think, so it's not listed under game pass, it's just has a store Page. But it does say that it will be included in game pass on launch. Interesting that it's on the computer available for install.

Edit : your screenshot shows a release date of October as well. Is it just a preinstall? Seems early for that.

It's strange that you can do install on one storefront but not the other. Gears 5 allowed me to install on Xbox already (pre not the full game) so I world think this game suite do the same. Though I do plan on buying this so it's a mute point

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Holmes108 likes this.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #6703 of 6820 Old 07-02-2019, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

big alpha system release scheduled today- https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/07/...0-190630-1920/
Arutha_conDoin and Renatto like this.

post #6704 of 6820 Old 07-02-2019, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post
big alpha system release scheduled today- https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/07/...0-190630-1920/
"The Page Cannot Be Found".
post #6705 of 6820 Old 07-03-2019, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

I received page not found too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6706 of 6820 Old 07-03-2019, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
I think revoked.

DOLBY ATMOS 5.2.4 - Yamaha RX-A2080 - Klipsch RP-280F - RP-450C - RP-250S - RP-140SA - R-112SW - LG OLED 55B7 - HiMedia Q30 - Xbox One X SE
post #6707 of 6820 Old 07-03-2019, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ya looks like they yanked update for now-
bunch of comments on xbox insider twitter

post #6708 of 6820 Old 07-03-2019, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Finished metro 2033 redux - loved it -just started last light redux - its all new stuff and not included in metro redux 2033- so you have 3 to play
-
just been cruising thru metro Last light - think on last or close to last level -big court yard with snipers - man got like no air- they are few bodies with some canisters but may have to go back and reload older level to get some -
guess been doing to much exploring- will give it another go later but bit frustrating

post #6709 of 6820 Old 07-04-2019, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1729 Post(s)
Liked: 1088
Has anyone been able to access the test patterns on Sony UHD disks. Normally if one taps 7669 on the remote it brings up 4K HDR test patterns on Sony disks. This doesn't seem to work on the Xbox Blu-ray player.

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
post #6710 of 6820 Old 07-09-2019, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post
FYI, Monster Hunter World has a broken HDR implementation that elevates black levels. I wouldn't judge your display on that game. Most people think MHW looks better in SDR because of it. But what other games are you finding that don't look good in HDR?
just tried first level on this-just awful image quality and no way to turn off HDR from in game that I could see -
may try later with HDR output disabled in console but game did not really appeal to me in short play time-

post #6711 of 6820 Old 07-09-2019, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4603 Post(s)
Liked: 2673
How do you access a connected USB drive on the Xbox? I looked and looked for an app for it and couldn't find it. Also, when playing a disc, how do you access the popup or disc menu? Thanks!

lujan
561 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
post #6712 of 6820 Old 07-09-2019, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
How do you access a connected USB drive on the Xbox? I looked and looked for an app for it and couldn't find it. Also, when playing a disc, how do you access the popup or disc menu? Thanks!
Look for or install the media player app from the MS Store on the Xbox... There may be several other apps that can play different media, but this is the default one.

Google search can tell you how to control the menus:
https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-...l-blu-ray-dvds
post #6713 of 6820 Old 07-09-2019, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4603 Post(s)
Liked: 2673
Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post
Look for or install the media player app from the MS Store on the Xbox... There may be several other apps that can play different media, but this is the default one.

Google search can tell you how to control the menus:
https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-...l-blu-ray-dvds
Thanks, I'll look for it!

lujan
561 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
post #6714 of 6820 Old 07-11-2019, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Thanks, I'll look for it!
If you try to use a 3rd party player (Kodi) for rips on a HD, audio passthrough is not allowed and must be decoded by the app itself.
post #6715 of 6820 Old 07-14-2019, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2102 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobPT45 View Post
Over the course of the past month, I've been playing around with the Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) and Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) options on my Xbox One X (X1X) as displayed on my LG C9 OLED. I've discovered a bug with how the two features interact (as I will outline below) and through additional research, I believe the bug is on the X1X side. I hope this long post helps somebody...anybody.

Note: On the C9, other than a popup notification that appears when ALLM engages, there is no visible indicator in any menu that the TV is in ALLM. The easiest way to tell if the C9 is in ALLM is to set the picture to Cinema mode and then select Picture Options. If Noise Reduction and Smooth Gradiation are "grayed out" (i.e. unselectable), the TV is in ALLM. Other manufacturers may have indicators and/or different ways of confirming the mode is engaged. A menu indicator for LG would be fantastic.

When I first setup the TV and connected my X1X, I immediately turned on the ALLM functionality on the TV and selected the checkboxes for "Allow auto low-latency mode" and "Allow variable refresh rate" on the X1X. I quickly noticed that in addition to the desired effect of engaging ALLM while gaming, the TV seemed to stay in ALLM mode no matter what I was doing. On the dashboard, using the X1X Netflix App, using the X1X YouTube App, watching cable through my X1X...it was always engaging the low latency mode. The only time I noticed ALLM disengaging was when watching a BluRay or UHD BluRay through the X1X disc player (this is still the only circumstance where I can find the TV disengaging the ALLM when VRR is active).

I posted this concern on the rtings.com discussion boards and Adam Babcock responded with: "Do you have the variable refresh rate feature enabled on the Xbox? It appears that this forces the TV into game mode at all times, even if you aren’️t in a game." https://www.rtings.com/tv/discussion...-actually-work

Adam is great, but because I'm a "trust, but verify" type of guy, I went in and unchecked "Allow variable refresh rate" on my X1X and redid my checks. Sure enough, as he suggested, the X1X immediately started behaving differently. The ALLM would only engage when I booted up a game from the dashboard. In all of the other X1X streaming video apps, and while hanging out on the dashboard, ALLM would not kick-in. In other words, once I turned off VRR, the ALLM behaved like I though It should.

But what if I was wrong? What if, despite being counter-intuitive, VRR was supposed to engage ALLM at all times except for disc-based video content on the X1X? Nope, according to HDMI.org, my understanding of ALLM and how it is supposed to work with VRR is correct : "Your gaming box will take care of these choices for you. If you are streaming video or playing a BluRay, it would only enable QMS; if you fire up a game, it would enable ALLM, VRR, and QFT, depending on what your system supports." (emphasis added) https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1/index.aspx

Now, knowing that the way VRR and ALLM were interacting was not according to specification in my setup, it was clearly a bug and not a feature. The question remaining was, is it a problem with the X1X or my LG C9 OLED? I'm still not 100% certain, but I'm growing increasingly convinced that the problem is with the X1X. I've found numerous comments on Reddit where people with different TV sizes and/or manufacturers report encountering this same problem. See a few examples below:

I'm going to do my best to try to get this to the attention of Microsoft, but in the interim, the most practical solution I've found is to turn off VRR on the X1X but keep ALLM active. This way, ALLM behaves properly and I can just turn on VRR when playing the limited games on the system that support it.

Please let me know if you've encountered anything differently with your setup or TV.

TL; DR - ALLM and VRR do not function properly when passed from the X1X. When VRR is on, it forces all content (except disc-based video) in to ALLM. When VRR is off, ALLM functions properly (i.e. only engages during gaming). This appears to be a bug in the way that the X1X is sending the ALLM and VRR flags to the TV.
Has it been 100% confirmed you can engage ALLM in all presets like isf dark and still have 13ms input lag? It’s been said in reviews but I’ve never seen anyone test it with a device.
post #6716 of 6820 Old 07-14-2019, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
Has it been 100% confirmed you can engage ALLM in all presets like isf dark and still have 13ms input lag? It’s been said in reviews but I’ve never seen anyone test it with a device.
I've done a lot of searching, but I don't think it has been 100% confirmed.

I've heard Vincent Teoh (from HDTVTest) describe it working that way multiple times and the guys at Rtings have also confirmed it working that way. Check out this thread from the Rtings discussion forum: https://www.rtings.com/tv/discussion...-actually-work

There are clearly settings that get grayed out in every picture mode when the ALLM kicks in (as I described in my post), so it is definitely doing something to reduce processing. Anecdotally, the input lag "feels" good in every picture mode. Because of this, I'm 99% convinced that it functions the way Vincent and Rtings describe.

I'm with you though, I'd love to see it actually tested with a device (to push me to 100% ).
post #6717 of 6820 Old 07-16-2019, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 116
A question for all who have decent to high-end HT surround setups. Are you happy with Atmos through the Xbox One X? I have to admit, I am utterly disappointed at the compressed mess that comes out of it. I switched to DD 5.1 and am floored by the way games sound now. I hate to use an analogy but it's like going from an MP3 to an SACD (or surround PCM). The irony is when my Anthem AVM60 processor is set to matrix Atmos (Dolby Surround), the Atmos speakers are wicked good. And this is thru my TV's ARC HDMI connection! When sent out of the Xbox as native Atmos (directly into the AVM60 pre/pro), there is virtually no imaging. As in, it's sort of out of phase. Once DD5.1 with Dolby Surround is enabled, I can hear the slightest sound above and right or anywhere above for that matter. It's scary 3D in my entire media room (16'x28'). But what really opened my eyes and ears is all the extra treble that was being robbed from the Xbox doing the decoding. Things like picking up a sword and hearing the metal resonate, etc. That was just not there with Atmos. Curious what you guys are hearing.
post #6718 of 6820 Old 07-17-2019, 01:32 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Olson View Post
A question for all who have decent to high-end HT surround setups. Are you happy with Atmos through the Xbox One X? Curious what you guys are hearing.
I think most of the games 5.1/7.1, but because the Xbox decodes it and send to the AVR as PCM and always labelled "Atmos" (even it's not Atmos, just a 5.1/7.1). Perhaps if the AVR/Processor get the original signal from the Xbox, maybe they can make a better upmix (but we should know if it's real Atmos or not). I remember only a few games with great - real - Atmos sound like Shadow of the Tomb Raider, AC - Origins/Odyssey, Forza Horizon 4.

DOLBY ATMOS 5.2.4 - Yamaha RX-A2080 - Klipsch RP-280F - RP-450C - RP-250S - RP-140SA - R-112SW - LG OLED 55B7 - HiMedia Q30 - Xbox One X SE
post #6719 of 6820 Old 07-17-2019, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 225
I wish integration with Harmony Hubs was better with the XBOX. I can of course turn mine on/off, use the arrow keys, etc. But I want to get my family to use the ONE as a streaming hub and for the little ones or wife its not super intuitive. I wish there was an easy way to use buttons on the Harmony remote to kick off Hulu, Netflix, etc. Instead I had to just create them in a new group, make that appear as high as possible on home page, and then manually instruct folks how to arrow to it. I know, I know, first world problems, but disappointing.

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
post #6720 of 6820 Old 07-17-2019, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Olson View Post
A question for all who have decent to high-end HT surround setups. Are you happy with Atmos through the Xbox One X? I have to admit, I am utterly disappointed at the compressed mess that comes out of it. I switched to DD 5.1 and am floored by the way games sound now. I hate to use an analogy but it's like going from an MP3 to an SACD (or surround PCM). The irony is when my Anthem AVM60 processor is set to matrix Atmos (Dolby Surround), the Atmos speakers are wicked good. And this is thru my TV's ARC HDMI connection! When sent out of the Xbox as native Atmos (directly into the AVM60 pre/pro), there is virtually no imaging. As in, it's sort of out of phase. Once DD5.1 with Dolby Surround is enabled, I can hear the slightest sound above and right or anywhere above for that matter. It's scary 3D in my entire media room (16'x28'). But what really opened my eyes and ears is all the extra treble that was being robbed from the Xbox doing the decoding. Things like picking up a sword and hearing the metal resonate, etc. That was just not there with Atmos. Curious what you guys are hearing.
Hm, interesting. I usually use Atmos when playing games, but I've only usually been playing PUBG, which I thought depicts where the sounds/gunfire, etc are coming from pretty accurately. I twas' playing Batman Arkham Asylum the other day, and a Metro game a few weeks back and it did leave a bit to be desired.

And so you put your settings on straight Dolby Digital and not DTS and you see a noticeable improvement on clarity, detail, etc?

What about bass? I have this huge dual 15" Rythmik FV25HP - and almost NO games take advantage of it, nor have any bass. Except for the aforementioned PUBG.

Maybe that's why I play PUBG so much? Because the sound design is so good? Lol

65" 900E Tee Vee | Denon 6300H AVR | PSA MTM-210s | PSA MTM-210c | PSA MTM-110s | Canton 880 InCeilings | Rythmik FV25HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
enhanced , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page