The Official Xbox One X thread - Page 225 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3662Likes

post #6721 of 6766 Old 07-17-2019, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by javan robinson View Post
Hm, interesting. I usually use Atmos when playing games, but I've only usually been playing PUBG, which I thought depicts where the sounds/gunfire, etc are coming from pretty accurately. I twas' playing Batman Arkham Asylum the other day, and a Metro game a few weeks back and it did leave a bit to be desired.

And so you put your settings on straight Dolby Digital and not DTS and you see a noticeable improvement on clarity, detail, etc?

What about bass? I have this huge dual 15" Rythmik FV25HP - and almost NO games take advantage of it, nor have any bass. Except for the aforementioned PUBG.

Maybe that's why I play PUBG so much? Because the sound design is so good? Lol
Not only much better clarity but MUCH better phasing/imaging. Laughably better. Things didn't sound bad in the Xbox/Atmos per se, they just sound so much better in straight bitstream DD/DTS (both sound very similar in my setup). I didn't notice any difference in bass (I have loads of it with my Legacy Audio mains/surrounds/sub). I say give it a try, you have nothing to lose. But I'd be curious on your findings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6722 of 6766 Old 07-17-2019, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Olson View Post
Not only much better clarity but MUCH better phasing/imaging. Laughably better. Things didn't sound bad in the Xbox/Atmos per se, they just sound so much better in straight bitstream DD/DTS (both sound very similar in my setup). I didn't notice any difference in bass (I have loads of it with my Legacy Audio mains/surrounds/sub). I say give it a try, you have nothing to lose. But I'd be curious on your findings.
Hey, I will give it a whirl tonight for sure. If I like it, I just may use Atmos for the movies and DTS+Neural for everything else.

Thanks for the tip!

What games might you recommend that have awesome soundtracks/sound-design?

65" 900E Tee Vee | Denon 6300H AVR | PSA MTM-210s | PSA MTM-210c | PSA MTM-110s | Canton 880 InCeilings | Rythmik FV25HP
post #6723 of 6766 Old 07-17-2019, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hey, I will give it a whirl tonight for sure. If I like it, I just may use Atmos for the movies and DTS+Neural for everything else.

Thanks for the tip!

What games might you recommend that have awesome soundtracks/sound-design?
I've actually been playing a lot of Diablo 3 (Season 17) lately. Not the greatest soundtrack but the imaging is a good test for comparison.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6724 of 6766 Old 07-17-2019, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Olson View Post
I've actually been playing a lot of Diablo 3 (Season 17) lately. Not the greatest soundtrack but the imaging is a good test for comparison.
Got it. Thanks man! I don't think that's on Game Pass but I believe my buddy has it so perhaps I'll give it a borrow.

Thanks again!

And check that PUBG out, if anything just for the sound design and let me know what you think!

65" 900E Tee Vee | Denon 6300H AVR | PSA MTM-210s | PSA MTM-210c | PSA MTM-110s | Canton 880 InCeilings | Rythmik FV25HP
post #6725 of 6766 Old 07-17-2019, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Got it. Thanks man! I don't think that's on Game Pass but I believe my buddy has it so perhaps I'll give it a borrow.

Thanks again!

And check that PUBG out, if anything just for the sound design and let me know what you think!
Will do, thanks!
post #6726 of 6766 Old 07-18-2019, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatto View Post
I think most of the games 5.1/7.1, but because the Xbox decodes it and send to the AVR as PCM and always labelled "Atmos" (even it's not Atmos, just a 5.1/7.1). Perhaps if the AVR/Processor get the original signal from the Xbox, maybe they can make a better upmix (but we should know if it's real Atmos or not). I remember only a few games with great - real - Atmos sound like Shadow of the Tomb Raider, AC - Origins/Odyssey, Forza Horizon 4.
Most games are 5.1. Rarely 7.1. When you use Atmos on Xbox, you have no choice but let Xbox mix 7.1 to Atmos with two rear channels silent (that's how Xbox does in LPCM 7.1 as well). Hence I always set my Xbox to LPCM 5.1 and let my receiver to upmix to DTS:X. Sounds better than Atmos from Xbox.
Renatto likes this.
post #6727 of 6766 Old 07-20-2019, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
I wish integration with Harmony Hubs was better with the XBOX. I can of course turn mine on/off, use the arrow keys, etc. But I want to get my family to use the ONE as a streaming hub and for the little ones or wife its not super intuitive. I wish there was an easy way to use buttons on the Harmony remote to kick off Hulu, Netflix, etc. Instead I had to just create them in a new group, make that appear as high as possible on home page, and then manually instruct folks how to arrow to it. I know, I know, first world problems, but disappointing.
I have the Harmony ultimate. I’ll check to see if I can come up with a better option for ya.
JudgeSmails likes this.
post #6728 of 6766 Old 07-29-2019, 02:00 AM

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Anyone have any idea why disabling hdr in the menu suddenly renders my one x unable to play 4K streaming movies? Games will still play at 4K, but movies refuse and render out at 1080p
Forcing 10bit color fixes the issue, or turning hdr back on.
post #6729 of 6766 Old 07-29-2019, 03:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 57
New dashboard beta update came to Insiders: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/07/...xbox-insiders/
aaronwt likes this.

DOLBY ATMOS 5.2.4 - Yamaha RX-A2080 - Klipsch RP-280F - RP-450C - RP-250S - RP-140SA - R-112SW - LG OLED 55B7 - HiMedia Q30 - Xbox One X SE
post #6730 of 6766 Old 08-07-2019, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by paindonthurt View Post
I have the Harmony ultimate. I’ll check to see if I can come up with a better option for ya.

I might use the xbox one x as a streaming / local video box, but it doesn't support HDMI CEC so I can't use the TV remote instead of a 2 handed game controller.
JudgeSmails likes this.
post #6731 of 6766 Old 08-07-2019, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Question for those who do use the XBOX One X for streaming. Sound quality through my Denon for both games and UHD/Blu Ray discs is stellar. Very impressed and pleased. But, sound quality via Hulu or Amazon Prime - very disappointing. I can't for the life of me figure out why. Not an issue of audio delay, rather an issue of little to no surround. Yet the settings on the XBOX and Denon do not change in that the HDMI and sound settings are the same for games/UHD as for streaming. But the downgrade is immersiveness is driving me nuts.

Its something with the box. I can stream both Hulu and Prime via my Xfinity box and the sound is a lot fuller and surround-based than via the XBOX one. Any ideas? Thanks.

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
post #6732 of 6766 Old 08-07-2019, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Question for those who do use the XBOX One X for streaming. Sound quality through my Denon for both games and UHD/Blu Ray discs is stellar. Very impressed and pleased. But, sound quality via Hulu or Amazon Prime - very disappointing. I can't for the life of me figure out why. Not an issue of audio delay, rather an issue of little to no surround. Yet the settings on the XBOX and Denon do not change in that the HDMI and sound settings are the same for games/UHD as for streaming. But the downgrade is immersiveness is driving me nuts.

Its something with the box. I can stream both Hulu and Prime via my Xfinity box and the sound is a lot fuller and surround-based than via the XBOX one. Any ideas? Thanks.
never tried Hulu or Prime on my XboneX but Netflix sounds great on there and how I'd expect it to sound. Much better than through my TV's app for Netflix going via ARC back to the AVR. That sounds way less dynamic even when turned up more than where I'd have it on the Xbonex. It might just be the way Hulu and Prime compress their sound on the apps.
JudgeSmails likes this.
post #6733 of 6766 Old 08-08-2019, 11:58 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 9114 Post(s)
Liked: 5851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfid View Post
I might use the xbox one x as a streaming / local video box, but it doesn't support HDMI CEC so I can't use the TV remote instead of a 2 handed game controller.
You can always use an IR remote with it. I got an MS remote for my XB1 boxes many years ago. But right now I use my HArmony remotes with my XB1X and XB1S.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #6734 of 6766 Old 08-08-2019, 12:00 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:

The Xbox might be using fake surround. Which will also prevent your receiver from properly applying post processing. It will certainly cause what you described./
JudgeSmails likes this.

post #6735 of 6766 Old 08-08-2019, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:

Agreed- streaming surround audio on the xbox is terrible. I cracked a couple of months ago and got a roku. The audio now sounds great and I'm not powering up my xbox just to watch a show.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
aaronwt and JudgeSmails like this.

XBL: octavarium1/PSN:octavarium1970
post #6736 of 6766 Old 08-08-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
You can always use an IR remote with it. I got an MS remote for my XB1 boxes many years ago. But right now I use my HArmony remotes with my XB1X and XB1S.

I could, but then I'd have to press a button on the remote (or have 2 remotes) depending on which device I want to control. I can't stand universal remotes (including Harmony, especially the ones with a 'hub') that you have to press a key to switch devices. HDMI CEC is the answer to all my remote prayers. What is wrong with MS? Are they trying to push Xbox media remote sales?
post #6737 of 6766 Old 08-08-2019, 08:11 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
I could, but then I'd have to press a button on the remote (or have 2 remotes) depending on which device I want to control. I can't stand universal remotes (including Harmony, especially the ones with a 'hub') that you have to press a key to switch devices. HDMI CEC is the answer to all my remote prayers. What is wrong with MS? Are they trying to push Xbox media remote sales?
HDMI-CEC only works well when you stay within it's low device limit. Which is rather low. I have around fifteen devices in each of my UHD setups. HDMI-CEC won't work with that many devices. Once you get past it's limit, strange things start to happen.

post #6738 of 6766 Old 08-09-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
HDMI-CEC only works well when you stay within it's low device limit. Which is rather low. I have around fifteen devices in each of my UHD setups. HDMI-CEC won't work with that many devices. Once you get past it's limit, strange things start to happen.

I've tried really hard to get my device set up to as few units as possible. TV, Sound bar 5.1 w/ wireless sub and side, Nvidia Shield, Xbox OneX, TV remote, xbox wireless controller. That's it. Less is more when it comes to tech devices.
post #6739 of 6766 Old 08-12-2019, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
I've tried really hard to get my device set up to as few units as possible. TV, Sound bar 5.1 w/ wireless sub and side, Nvidia Shield, Xbox OneX, TV remote, xbox wireless controller. That's it. Less is more when it comes to tech devices.
Having a Harmony Remote can omit many CEC issues, as CEC is not necessarily needed.
I have a similar set of devices, a Shield, Xbox One X, all connected between my AVR and TV.

My Xbox One X is connected directly into the ARC input my My TV, which then outputs to my AVR.
My Shield is connected directly to my AVR.

When I see the Xbox One X Checklist for HDMI connections, they all pass. If I connect the Xbox directly to the AVR, all the boxes are not checked,

With that said, CEC is turned off on all of my devices, and the Harmony Activities control how each device behaves.
aaronwt and JudgeSmails like this.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #6740 of 6766 Old 08-12-2019, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2211 Post(s)
Liked: 2498
Quote:
As long as you are willing to make sacrifices to combine devices.

I really like my One X but I have devices that do literally everything it does, only better.

As others mentioned, a Harmony solves the issue of praying CEC behaves properly in any configuration.
aaronwt likes this.
post #6741 of 6766 Old 08-13-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
Having a Harmony Remote can omit many CEC issues, as CEC is not necessarily needed.
I have a similar set of devices, a Shield, Xbox One X, all connected between my AVR and TV.

My Xbox One X is connected directly into the ARC input my My TV, which then outputs to my AVR.
My Shield is connected directly to my AVR.

When I see the Xbox One X Checklist for HDMI connections, they all pass. If I connect the Xbox directly to the AVR, all the boxes are not checked,

With that said, CEC is turned off on all of my devices, and the Harmony Activities control how each device behaves.

What CEC issues? CEC is needed necessarily if you don't want to use a different remote for every device and you don't want to buy a universal remote.
The only issue I have is that the Xbox doesn't support it!

'My Xbox One X is connected directly into the ARC input my My TV, which then outputs to my AVR.' - Not understanding this statement.
I assume you're connecting the Xbox to an HDMI input on the TV which in turn sends the audio out the TV's ARC port to the ARC port on the AVR.

That's how I connect my Xbox and the Nvidia Shield. I use one connection from the TV's ARC port to the ARC port on a 5.1 sound bar. If I want to switch devices, just the TVs input is changed, then the remote will send commands to that device (except the Xbox) through HDMI. Zero set up, zero cost, and zero issues except when a device doesn't support it. My old TV remote is better than any harmony remote or xbox controller, but I don't get to use it with the Xbox. I just don't get it - What is all this improper behavior of CEC that Harmony users are always claiming, and why did Microsoft not include it on the xbox? Maybe it has something to do with the now dead Kinect system they tried to push.

Last edited by Tfid; 08-13-2019 at 12:30 PM.
post #6742 of 6766 Old 08-13-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
As long as you are willing to make sacrifices to combine devices.

I really like my One X but I have devices that do literally everything it does, only better.

As others mentioned, a Harmony solves the issue of praying CEC behaves properly in any configuration.

True, I would just use the Xbox for everything, but the Shield doesn't do gaming( good games), or Movies from disk, and the Xbox doesn't do streaming, or video file playing well, so I use both. The only thing the Harmony would solve for the xbox is not having to buy a special 'media' remote or not having to use a 2 handed controller for watching a movie on disk. If I have to use more than 2 devices to do what I want, then yes, I would make sacrifices about what I want to do just to uncomplicate my life.
post #6743 of 6766 Old 08-13-2019, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Many users have experienced their TVs turning off or not turning on period along with another CEC supported device which becomes a PITA when you want to just watch some TV.

A device goes into Sleep Mode, and all of a sudden your TV turns off. Inputs on your AVR or TV suddenly switch to different devices unannounced.

I read about these issues all the time, whether it be here at AVS, the Nvidia Forums, or some other Electronics forum.

Harmony eliminates that headache. Simply turn off CEC on all of your devices, and let the Harmony Activities do the work.

In my setup, my Xbox One is connected to the TVs HDMI 3/ARC input, and is set to "Game Mode". Then the signal is sent to my AVR for mainly Dolby Atmos and other formats such as Dolby Digital Plus. This also "checks" all the boxes in the Xbox's HDMI configuration.

My Shield and Oppo 203 are connected directly to my AVR, AVR outputs to HDMI Input 2 on my TV, in "Custom Mode."

If CEC was enabled, I would not be able to use my devices in the manner I would want them to function, for the input on the TV would constantly switch to HDMI 3. I also would not be able to take advantage of the separate display calibration settings I have for these devices, specifically my Oppo 203's HDR display settings.

With CEC turned off, my Harmony Remote takes over, and all of my devices behave nicely. My TV switches inputs and to the appropriate display mode. AVR switches inputs as well. My Xbox switches to Atmos when needed. My Shield no longer turns off the TV when it goes into Sleep mode. So on and so forth.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #6744 of 6766 Old 08-13-2019, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'm getting dolby vision through the Vudu Xbox app now. Only checked out Infinity War, but looks great.
JudgeSmails and lujan like this.
post #6745 of 6766 Old 08-14-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
Many users have experienced their TVs turning off or not turning on period along with another CEC supported device which becomes a PITA when you want to just watch some TV.

A device goes into Sleep Mode, and all of a sudden your TV turns off. Inputs on your AVR or TV suddenly switch to different devices unannounced.

I read about these issues all the time, whether it be here at AVS, the Nvidia Forums, or some other Electronics forum.

Harmony eliminates that headache. Simply turn off CEC on all of your devices, and let the Harmony Activities do the work.

In my setup, my Xbox One is connected to the TVs HDMI 3/ARC input, and is set to "Game Mode". Then the signal is sent to my AVR for mainly Dolby Atmos and other formats such as Dolby Digital Plus. This also "checks" all the boxes in the Xbox's HDMI configuration.

My Shield and Oppo 203 are connected directly to my AVR, AVR outputs to HDMI Input 2 on my TV, in "Custom Mode."

If CEC was enabled, I would not be able to use my devices in the manner I would want them to function, for the input on the TV would constantly switch to HDMI 3. I also would not be able to take advantage of the separate display calibration settings I have for these devices, specifically my Oppo 203's HDR display settings.

With CEC turned off, my Harmony Remote takes over, and all of my devices behave nicely. My TV switches inputs and to the appropriate display mode. AVR switches inputs as well. My Xbox switches to Atmos when needed. My Shield no longer turns off the TV when it goes into Sleep mode. So on and so forth.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

When I switch the TV's input from the Shield to Antenna, or xbox, the Shield goes into sleep mode, and does NOT turn off the TV (Sony 900E), or the sound bar. When I switch back to the Shield, it comes out of sleep mode just fine, but the Xbox doesn't sleep due to no CEC support. Booo Xbox! Does MS get payback from Logitech or something for this omission?

I refuse to buy more remotes like Harmony or MS media remote. I'll just use the Shield for media file playing with my TV remote, use the Xbox for gaming, and just live with the fact I have to use a 2 handed controller for watching movies on disk.
post #6746 of 6766 Old 08-17-2019, 01:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 1496
Life has been busy, and seems the "fake" Dolby Atmos from my Xbox 1 s / x bug is still there?
Updates on rolling the fix out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Hey - any word on when this release will be made public?
I'm tired of "fake" Dolby Atmos from my Xbox 1 s / x
Article is from Feb-24-2019
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#739a01a97901

Fixing the fix

This approach to saving Xbox users from experiencing drop outs when using Dolby Atmos for Home Theater also meant that the consoles couldn’t apply Atmos upmixing to non Atmos sources - since they were essentially having to treat all audio for output as Atmos, even when it wasn’t.

The latest update rolled out to Xbox users on the Alpha Insider ring, though, means that the Dolby Atmos for Home Theater mode can now properly recognize when a game or disc isn’t delivering a true Atmos source, and apply Dolby’s upmixing algorithms to it.

It's true that AV Receivers often carry similar upmixing options, of course. But getting the Xbox to do it makes glitches in the audio playback much less likely.

The new upmixing feature for home theater setups will be set to ‘on’ by default - and actually, in the current build out with Alpha Insiders, it’s set to ‘on’ permanently. However, Xbox Audio Lead Steven Wilssens tells me that by the time the new feature is ready to roll out to the Xbox community at large, it will contain the option to toggle the upmixing on or off (for people who prefer to hear non-Atmos sources in their original format).
Quote:
And I had zero glitches from my receiver before they forced Atmos on for everything.
Quote:
Truly thx for update

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
I haven't seen that update yet in the Beta ring. Still might be an Alpha ring only at this stage. Not sure how many people in here are on the Alpha ring. I imagine there are a couple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasphoenix View Post
I’m in beta and I’m not sure if the upmixing is active , I’m running 7.2.4, back ceiling 2 speakers and rear surrounds are inactive during normal 5.1 playback. I don’t know why the front ceiling is active though .
post #6747 of 6766 Old 08-17-2019, 02:59 AM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 110
The Official Xbox One X thread

Quote:
Life has been busy, and seems the "fake" Dolby Atmos from my Xbox 1 s / x bug is still there?

The fix is in the settings inside a new Dolby access app 3.0.2083, which is available for Windows 10 build 1903 onwards . The updated app is not available for Xbox One X yet .

TV-Sony Bravia KD-65"A1, Pioneer SC-LX901 7.2.4 ATMOS/DTS-X, Polk DSW 660*2, Polk RTi A7*2, Pol Csi A6, Polk RtiA5*2, Polk Tsi300*2, Polk TSX 220B *2, Polk OWM 3*2, Zappiti-4kHDROne, Oppo UDP-203, XboxOneX, PS4, Oppo BDP-83, Darbee DVP-500s, ZidooX10, Sony Bravia HX925 55"
post #6748 of 6766 Old 08-17-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I'm in Alpha Skip Ahead, got several updates this week, but still see "Atmos/PCM" all the time, nevertheless my height speakers are working (not muted).

DOLBY ATMOS 5.2.4 - Yamaha RX-A2080 - Klipsch RP-280F - RP-450C - RP-250S - RP-140SA - R-112SW - LG OLED 55B7 - HiMedia Q30 - Xbox One X SE
post #6749 of 6766 Old 08-17-2019, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Damn, did Xbox get rid of the $1 for Gold pass deal? I no longer see it on the dashboard.

PSN: Artman22
Xbox live: Artman22
post #6750 of 6766 Old 08-17-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman22 View Post
Damn, did Xbox get rid of the $1 for Gold pass deal? I no longer see it on the dashboard.

You can get 1 month Game Pass Ultimate for 1 USD now (or 2 months for 2 USD), but this is account specific too. I can see only on my secondary account.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
enhanced , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page