Why are the audio settings so confusing?!? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-22-2017, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Why are the audio settings so confusing?!?

Here is my goal, i'd love to bitstream content so i can see the pretty logo on my avr but i don't think i'm able to and achieve the results i'm looking for. Besides games i utilize plex very frequently. For some reason on the the xbox if you want to bitstream you need to choose betwen dolby digital or DTS. All of my blurays are ripped to maintain the HD audio track. Some are Dolby some are DTS. When bitstreaming i'm not getting the DTS HD MA or TrueHD logo popping on my xbox. So if i'm trying to get a TrueHD track i'm supposed to select dolby when its DTSMA i'm supposed to pick DTS? However, i noticed even if i select the correct codec i'm net getting the correct logo displaying on the avr, just the generic dolby or dts not the DTSHD or or DolbyTrueHD.
Why doesn't the xbox just allow bitstream out, why do i have to pick a certain one?
With my situation it is best to just stick with PCM and let my receiver do the decoding correct?

My Theater build
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post21268949
xboxone gamertag: MASTERpTWINKIE
PS3: zaczimer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-23-2017, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp360 View Post
Here is my goal, i'd love to bitstream content so i can see the pretty logo on my avr but i don't think i'm able to and achieve the results i'm looking for. Besides games i utilize plex very frequently. For some reason on the the xbox if you want to bitstream you need to choose betwen dolby digital or DTS. All of my blurays are ripped to maintain the HD audio track. Some are Dolby some are DTS. When bitstreaming i'm not getting the DTS HD MA or TrueHD logo popping on my xbox. So if i'm trying to get a TrueHD track i'm supposed to select dolby when its DTSMA i'm supposed to pick DTS? However, i noticed even if i select the correct codec i'm net getting the correct logo displaying on the avr, just the generic dolby or dts not the DTSHD or or DolbyTrueHD.
Why doesn't the xbox just allow bitstream out, why do i have to pick a certain one?
With my situation it is best to just stick with PCM and let my receiver do the decoding correct?
You don't get HDMI & optical option to use bitstream? Like in the pic below.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Living Room: LG 65C8, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedroom: LG 55C6P, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
Link to LG C8PUA Firmware https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
Link to LG UH8500 & C6 Firmware http://www.lg.com/us/support-product...D55C6P#manuals
post #3 of 6 Old 07-23-2017, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked: 4030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocker23 View Post
You don't get HDMI & optical option to use bitstream? Like in the pic below.
Based on your pic, it appears you are only bitstreaming Dolby (left bottom box)...?

I agree with the OP, it's a confusing menu.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-23-2017, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
Based on your pic, it appears you are only bitstreaming Dolby (left bottom box)...?

I agree with the OP, it's a confusing menu.
The last box (audio option) only gives you Dolby digital, Dolby 5.1 & Dolby Atmos

If you go to the DVD/Blu-ray menu, the Blu-ray menu gives you the sound option to do straight bitstream off the disc & lets the receiver decode it

Living Room: LG 65C8, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedroom: LG 55C6P, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
Link to LG C8PUA Firmware https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
Link to LG UH8500 & C6 Firmware http://www.lg.com/us/support-product...D55C6P#manuals
post #5 of 6 Old 07-23-2017, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 33
TLDR: Until MS allows third party apps to fully utilize bitstream like the bluray app does, PCM is the way to go for plex.

I think what is going on is that Xbox let's you choose to bitstream from the blu Ray player app. You don't need to pick Dolby or DTS. It seems like Microsoft put this functionality in for its player so it would be compatible for atmos etc and meet the bluray spec. I don't think third party apps like plex have this full capability yet. So if you want to bitstream you need to pick Dolby or dts which will force the box to transcode the audio if in a different format.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-24-2017, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocker23 View Post
The last box (audio option) only gives you Dolby digital, Dolby 5.1 & Dolby Atmos

If you go to the DVD/Blu-ray menu, the Blu-ray menu gives you the sound option to do straight bitstream off the disc & lets the receiver decode it

You're talking about app-level settings, he's talking the settings at system level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
bitstream , pcm , plex , xbox one

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page