Dolby Atmos for GAMING thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 298Likes

post #451 of 630 Old 03-17-2019, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
I go with functions over looks any day . That's a nice upgrade from the sound bar.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
For real lol and thanks, I started out with the Plantronics Dolby Atmos headsets first. Then I built the 5.1.4 system in February if last year, then in April I went 7.1.4.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Arutha_conDoin likes this.

Home theatre: 65" Sony X950G / LG UBKM9 / Sony UBD-X800 / Xbox One X Project Scorpio / PS4 Pro
Denon AVR-X4400H 7.1.4 config. / Plantronics Dolby Atmos RIG 600LX
Pioneer Andrew Jones L,R,C,SL,SR,SBL,SBR / (4) Polk Atrium 5 series TF,TR
SVS PB-2000 w/ SVS SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 630 Old 03-17-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCableMan View Post
Would you be able to compare the xbox up mix vs the denon upmix and see if there is a difference between the two?
Sure I'll try that out before bed tonight

Home theatre: 65" Sony X950G / LG UBKM9 / Sony UBD-X800 / Xbox One X Project Scorpio / PS4 Pro
post #453 of 630 Old 03-17-2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Would you be able to compare the xbox up mix vs the denon upmix and see if there is a difference between the two?
I did a quick A/B

The Dolby Atmos upmixing I'm calling it, in comparison to the DSU, I certainly prefer.
DAU the sound is punchier, Bass is a tad deeper with DAU, sounds are more decreet, meeting you can better pinpoint where the sound is coming from.

They both sound spacious, dispute DAU not using rear height. DSU the sound when the instructor is speaking, definitely sounds like it's coming from channels/speakers vs relevance to a point in space, object level.

talldrink67 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 630 Old 03-18-2019, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by camd5pt0 View Post
I did a quick A/B

The Dolby Atmos upmixing I'm calling it, in comparison to the DSU, I certainly prefer.
DAU the sound is punchier, Bass is a tad deeper with DAU, sounds are more decreet, meeting you can better pinpoint where the sound is coming from.

They both sound spacious, dispute DAU not using rear height. DSU the sound when the instructor is speaking, definitely sounds like it's coming from channels/speakers vs relevance to a point in space, object level.

Thank you. I really appreciate you taking the time to do that. Excited to try this myself on a few games and see the results.
camd5pt0 likes this.
post #455 of 630 Old 03-18-2019, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
I really miss the Denon on screen stuff. I swapped over to Onkyo this time strong and have not been as happy

Sorry..I have to ask. I come from Onkyo 646 to Denon 4300H and I was planning on going back to Onkyo RZ830-920. I would really like if you are able to expand on your comment...maybe PM me?
post #456 of 630 Old 03-19-2019, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2355 Post(s)
Liked: 923
Quote:
Thank you. I really appreciate you taking the time to do that. Excited to try this myself on a few games and see the results.

Do you still prefer DTSx upmixibg?

I found DTS to be superior in creating height and using my 18" PSA sub

DocACE911 on Steam, XBOX, PS4
"Kill Cancer or Die"
Custom Z9 Game Settings For SDR and HDR
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
Loving Wife and 4 year old Son who tolerate this expense!
post #457 of 630 Old 03-19-2019, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post
Do you still prefer DTSx upmixibg?

I found DTS to be superior in creating height and using my 18" PSA sub
I do still prefer DTS X to upmix but if this now upmixing feature works really good I am all set to try it. My only issue with DTS X is to much unwanted audio put in the tops such as foot steps and voices. I have learned to live with it but sometimes can really take you out of the action.
talldrink67 likes this.
post #458 of 630 Old 03-21-2019, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
Atmos is destroying my Final Fantasy XV experience. It seems to keep dropping out, then it'll come back on (during which the Dolby Atmos symbol will show again in the upper right corner of my LG OLED). It's like someone keeps muting my TV.

In addition, DTS Surround is blank for FFXV. Apparently this is an Insider problem. So, my options are few.
I just bought FFXV.. Have u found any troubleshooting after this long?
Ive only managed to start the game without issues after disabling Atmos Bitstream
post #459 of 630 Old 03-21-2019, 05:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 807
New console gamer here - Have not followed atmos on xbox gaming but what is stated reason why microsoft does just not bit stream the original audio signal ( be it stereo / atmos/5.1/7.1 etc)-
(limitations? , compatibility/ copyright issues?)
Only have a few games but figured out immediately xbox is just sending audio in atmos wrapper if not native atmos game-
so just been switching between atmos for atmos games and 5.1 and let my pre/pro upmix ( Latest DSU algorithms as fantastic)-
is there any site that will show what the native chanel mixing on a particular title is?

Any other titles as well done as latest tomb raider?-
Best atmos in any format I have experienced- pretty cool how sound will real time pan to corresponding location as move about environment -

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #460 of 630 Old 03-21-2019, 05:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I do still prefer DTS X to upmix but if this now upmixing feature works really good I am all set to try it. My only issue with DTS X is to much unwanted audio put in the tops such as foot steps and voices. I have learned to live with it but sometimes can really take you out of the action.
I went a couple months experimenting with latest DTS X and DSU on all source ( movies/music/games) - I now use DSU on everything for mostly reason you mentioned -
DTS has more activity in heights but don't like it implementation- DSU is more natural and gives my setup that desirable audio bubble but each setup is different-
DaverJ and am2model3 like this.

post #461 of 630 Old 03-21-2019, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1780 Post(s)
Liked: 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post
New console gamer here - Have not followed atmos on xbox gaming but what is stated reason why microsoft does just not bit stream the original audio signal ( be it stereo / atmos/5.1/7.1 etc)-
(limitations? , compatibility/ copyright issues?)
I don't think MS has stated their reason, but many assume it's because the Xbox's audio structure (menu sounds, notifications, achievement sound effects, etc.) won't work with direct bitstream.

Many would be fine losing all extra Xbox sound effects to get direct bitstream, as it does with Blu-ray playback. But maybe MS finds the additional sounds important to the brand..?
post #462 of 630 Old 03-21-2019, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
I don't think MS has stated their reason, but many assume it's because the Xbox's audio structure (menu sounds, notifications, achievement sound effects, etc.) won't work with direct bitstream.

Many would be fine losing all extra Xbox sound effects to get direct bitstream, as it does with Blu-ray playback. But maybe MS finds the additional sounds important to the brand..?
Some AVRs, namely Denon and Marantz, wouldn't switch back and forth properly and would lose audio. It would require input switching or power off to get the sound back on. My own Denon S730 had this problem. If I watched a movie in Atmos and paused to do anything in the Xbox dashboard which was not Atmos at that time, when I returned to the movie, there was no audio.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
post #463 of 630 Old 03-22-2019, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Perhaps a silly question, but: what occurs when you play a game and/or film with an audio track that provides a higher speaker count/quality than in your setup?

My setup is a 5.1 system + atmos-enabled AVR + XBox One X.

When I popped in my Blade Runner 2049 UHD, it offered the Atmos 7.1 track by default. But DTS-MA 5.1 was also an option, which I presume is what I should choose. The recent Spider-man, however, only has the Atmos 7.1 track in English. The respective 5.1 tracks are in various non-English languages. Am I simply losing out on audio in the Spider-man example?

As applied to Atmos-enabled games on the Xbox 1 X, I'm similarly curious. Titles such as Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Gears of War 4 are touted as Atmos-enabled, as those in this thread are certainly aware of. What occurs to the audio when I play those games on the XB1X? Those two games don't have specific audio settings (like the UHD's I mentioned above). Does the proper spatial audio depend on the audio XB1X's settings? What would happen if I chose bitstream + atmos with my 5.1 (but atmos AVR) setup instead of Uncompressed PCM 5.1?

Thanks!

Last edited by pg22; 03-22-2019 at 01:27 PM.
post #464 of 630 Old 03-22-2019, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg22 View Post
Perhaps a silly question, but: what occurs when you play a game and/or film with an audio track that provides a higher speaker count/quality than in your setup?
If set up properly, your AVR knows how many channels are coming in, how many speakers available in your setup, and steers the sound accordingly with what you got.

So you are fine sending a 7.1 Atmos soundtrack to a 5.1.2 setup.
asabrag likes this.
post #465 of 630 Old 03-25-2019, 02:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by camd5pt0 View Post
I did a quick A/B

Does it also works for the Netflix app or do we still have to constantly change audio settings in order to not have any silent speakers?
post #466 of 630 Old 03-25-2019, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2355 Post(s)
Liked: 923
This is only in the alpha right? In beta ring and don’t see options
Arutha_conDoin likes this.

DocACE911 on Steam, XBOX, PS4
"Kill Cancer or Die"
Custom Z9 Game Settings For SDR and HDR
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
Loving Wife and 4 year old Son who tolerate this expense!
post #467 of 630 Old 03-26-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post
This is only in the alpha right? In beta ring and don’t see options
Thank you! I was going crazy looking for a setting that I thought came out for the beta ring. I also do not see the options and I am on beta. I did have an update this last week and I thought it was in there, but no such luck. I am curious to see how it sounds. I have switched back to bitstream out and using the ATMOS setting on the Xbox. I still get audio dropouts on some games mostly Division 2 which makes me wonder if part of the soundtrack is broken a little. I am running a High Speed HDMI cable (18Gbps) so I know it is not the cable. So that either leaves the game soundtracks, Onkyo TR646 or the Xbox. I seem to have no troubles with movie playback at all which is great.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #468 of 630 Old 03-26-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
Atmos is destroying my Final Fantasy XV experience. It seems to keep dropping out, then it'll come back on (during which the Dolby Atmos symbol will show again in the upper right corner of my LG OLED). It's like someone keeps muting my TV.

In addition, DTS Surround is blank for FFXV. Apparently this is an Insider problem. So, my options are few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asabrag View Post
I just bought FFXV.. Have u found any troubleshooting after this long?
Ive only managed to start the game without issues after disabling Atmos Bitstream
Anyone? X+Atmos+FFXV???
post #469 of 630 Old 03-27-2019, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Anyone? X+Atmos+FFXV???
I have it, but haven't start playing yet. Hopefully somewhere in the next few months.
asabrag likes this.
post #470 of 630 Old 03-27-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
If set up properly, your AVR knows how many channels are coming in, how many speakers available in your setup, and steers the sound accordingly with what you got.

So you are fine sending a 7.1 Atmos soundtrack to a 5.1.2 setup.
Right, but I was asking about a 5.1 setup. Apologies if that wasn't clear. And if you don't mind, a follow-up regarding headphones:

I sometimes plug my headphones (V-Moda M100) directly into my Yamaha AVR's front 1/8th jack when not using the 5.1 speakers. I don't employ any special DSPs - I keep the Yamaha on "Straight." The XB1X's "Dolby Atmos for headphones" system setting has me wondering if I'm leaving benefits on the table.

Would a better use be to keep the X1X on uncompressed 5.1 pcm and then change my DSP from Straight to my AVR's Dolby Surround/DTS Neural X setting?
thomasphoenix likes this.
post #471 of 630 Old 03-27-2019, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg22 View Post
Right, but I was asking about a 5.1 setup.
The AVR should steer all incoming channels and properly mix them to the available channels. This includes 5.1, 4.0, stereo, etc...
pg22 likes this.
post #472 of 630 Old 03-28-2019, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just started GOW 4 - 1st chapter - not much overhead action so far but audio is excellent and very dynamic - I think I read Atmos picks up a lot later on ?

post #473 of 630 Old 03-28-2019, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just started GOW 4 - 1st chapter - not much overhead action so far but audio is excellent and very dynamic - I think I read Atmos picks up a lot later on ?
Yeah, the part with the dropshops has great overhead effects.
pg22 and DolbyVision like this.
post #474 of 630 Old 03-28-2019, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes just did last couple parts of scene 1 - very cool
DaverJ likes this.

post #475 of 630 Old 03-28-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes just did last couple parts of scene 1 - very cool
GOW? Playstation with Atmos support? Since when???
post #476 of 630 Old 03-28-2019, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Gears of War 4. That GOW abbreviation is super confusing.
asabrag likes this.
post #477 of 630 Old 03-28-2019, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In an Xbox forum GOW is no God of War

asabrag likes this.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #478 of 630 Old 03-31-2019, 09:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not sure if this has been mentioned before...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#57c1933c1f7f
DaverJ and talldrink67 like this.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #479 of 630 Old 04-04-2019, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I've been playing Metro Exodus with Spatial turned on and I'm not impressed. (Что за блядь хуевый звук такой) Still prefer native Atmos games like GOW and Forza 4.
Would you recommend getting Assassin's Origins? Is it good in Atmos?
post #480 of 630 Old 04-04-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Gears of War 4. That GOW abbreviation is super confusing.
Quote:
In an Xbox forum GOW is no God of War
Man, God of War with Atmos would have us like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolbyVision View Post
I've been playing Metro Exodus with Spatial turned on and I'm not impressed. (Что за блядь хуевый звук такой) Still prefer native Atmos games like GOW and Forza 4.
A shame, since it's the only game I've seen with an actual ATMOS toggle/setting in-game. But all it seemed to do was make things louder, especially the ambient sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page