Dolby Atmos for GAMING thread - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 298Likes

post #481 of 630 Old 04-11-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Had a new update (beta ring) and still no new option yet for Atmos.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 630 Old 04-15-2019, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
If you are receiving a Dobly ATMOS signal, you will get a Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Digital Plus stream instead..., if you are receiving a DTS:X signal, you will get a DTS MA stream instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg22 View Post
Perhaps a silly question, but: what occurs when you play a game and/or film with an audio track that provides a higher speaker count/quality than in your setup?

My setup is a 5.1 system + atmos-enabled AVR + XBox One

When I popped in my Blade Runner 2049 UHD, it offered the Atmos 7.1 track by default. But DTS-MA 5.1 was also an option, which I presume is what I should choose. The recent Spider-man, however, only has the Atmos 7.1 track in English. The respective 5.1 tracks are in various non-English languages. Am I simply losing out on audio in the Spider-man example?

As applied to Atmos-enabled games on the Xbox 1 X, I'm similarly curious. Titles such as Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Gears of War 4 are touted as Atmos-enabled, as those in this thread are certainly aware of. What occurs to the audio when I play those games on the XB1X? Those two games don't have specific audio settings (like the UHD's I mentioned above). Does the proper spatial audio depend on the audio XB1X's settings? What would happen if I chose bitstream + atmos with my 5.1 (but atmos AVR) setup instead of Uncompressed PCM 5.1?

Thanks!
pg22 likes this.

Last edited by TheNotepadShow; 04-16-2019 at 04:18 PM.
post #483 of 630 Old 04-17-2019, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Last night I was playing Destiny 2 on my XB1X and was hearing discrete overhead effects even though the Xbox was outputting in 5.1 uncompressed. The screen on my receiver (Denon x1400H) said Multi Ch In, which is what it says when receiving a PCM signal. The game patch notes don't mention any kind of spatial or Atmos support, and apparently the Xbox system update yesterday wasn't the one that adds Atmos upmixing. And yet, the sound of birds chirping coming directly from my ceiling, clear as day, via uncompressed PCM. What's going on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #484 of 630 Old 04-17-2019, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1780 Post(s)
Liked: 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayyyyy View Post
Last night I was playing Destiny 2 on my XB1X and was hearing discrete overhead effects even though the Xbox was outputting in 5.1 uncompressed. The screen on my receiver (Denon x1400H) said Multi Ch In, which is what it says when receiving a PCM signal. The game patch notes don't mention any kind of spatial or Atmos support, and apparently the Xbox system update yesterday wasn't the one that adds Atmos upmixing. And yet, the sound of birds chirping coming directly from my ceiling, clear as day, via uncompressed PCM. What's going on?
May guess would be upmixing on the Denon. Hit a Sound Mode button (Game, for example) on the x1400H remote to see if you are adding Dolby Surround or DTS Neural:X to the mix.
post #485 of 630 Old 04-19-2019, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNotepadShow View Post
If you are receiving a Dobly ATMOS signal, you will get a Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Digital Plus stream instead..., if you are receiving a DTS:X signal, you will get a DTS MA stream instead.
That's exactly what occurred for UHD movies, thanks. Any thoughts on the similar process for gaming? As far as I know, Dolby True HD and DTS-MA are not formats applied to video games. My AVR reports "Atmos/PCM" but I'm curious as to what's actually happening in that scenario with a 5.1 setup.

Thanks again.
post #486 of 630 Old 04-19-2019, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 202
only a select number of xbox games send true Atmos audio.

The ones that don't; the xbox can upmix to atmos signal with the update soon; or you send 5.1 dolby dts or PCM to your receiver and the receiver can upmix it for you.

that's cool your destiny2 sounded great!! upmixing can sound really good and convincing! its incredible; DSU and NeuralX are great.

as for the xbox; the PCM uncompressed should sound a bit more dynamic than dolby or dts; because that output is still compressing the signal last i knew. (the uncompressed is as if you are sending out DolbyTrueHD or DTS-HD audio from the xbox)
post #487 of 630 Old 04-19-2019, 04:44 PM

I am not totally sure??? My AVR-4400H is in the shop for repair, so I can't check. I actually have ATMOS (5.1.2), so my AVR is setup that way, the Xbox is setup to take advantage. On the games that support ATMOS, it works beautifully. On non ATMOS games it does upmixing pretty well.

Now, in your situation, only having 5.1, and assuming you AVR is setup for only seeing 6 speakers, and the Xbox is setup to take advantage of those speakers, I think you are getting Dolby Digital Plus 5.1/7.1..but 5.1 for you. Or DTS-ES 5.1/6.1, in 7.1 setup backs play as mono hence 6.1. or finally PCM, again depending how your Xbox is setup. All of this is dependent on what your picked to do your decoding... your xbox or the receiver.... but to my knowledge it will always be (Front Left), (Front Right), (Center), (Left Surround), (Right Surround), and SUB WOOFER.

I hope this helps.

Quote:
That's exactly what occurred for UHD movies, thanks. Any thoughts on the similar process for gaming? As far as I know, Dolby True HD and DTS-MA are not formats applied to video games. My AVR reports "Atmos/PCM" but I'm curious as to what's actually happening in that scenario with a 5.1 setup.

Thanks again.
pg22 likes this.

Last edited by TheNotepadShow; 04-19-2019 at 04:50 PM.
post #488 of 630 Old 05-07-2019, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

i am playing God of War: Chains of Olympus, PS3, hd through my system. Sending 5ch uncompressed LPCM to DSU; it sounds great!

i was in a windy cave, or hearing water drops in a cave; sounded cool overhead.
post #489 of 630 Old 05-07-2019, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2355 Post(s)
Liked: 923
Have you also tried the dts X upmixing? I think most find it even better than DSU in games. It actually creates some fake objects that can be incredible convincing.
am2model3 likes this.

DocACE911 on Steam, XBOX, PS4
"Kill Cancer or Die"
Custom Z9 Game Settings For SDR and HDR
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
Loving Wife and 4 year old Son who tolerate this expense!
post #490 of 630 Old 05-07-2019, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
I am not totally sure??? My AVR-4400H is in the shop for repair, so I can't check. I actually have ATMOS (5.1.2), so my AVR is setup that way, the Xbox is setup to take advantage. On the games that support ATMOS, it works beautifully. On non ATMOS games it does upmixing pretty well.

Now, in your situation, only having 5.1, and assuming you AVR is setup for only seeing 6 speakers, and the Xbox is setup to take advantage of those speakers, I think you are getting Dolby Digital Plus 5.1/7.1..but 5.1 for you. Or DTS-ES 5.1/6.1, in 7.1 setup backs play as mono hence 6.1. or finally PCM, again depending how your Xbox is setup. All of this is dependent on what your picked to do your decoding... your xbox or the receiver.... but to my knowledge it will always be (Front Left), (Front Right), (Center), (Left Surround), (Right Surround), and SUB WOOFER.

I hope this helps.
When choosing Bitstream/Atmos on my X1X 5.1 setup, my Yamaha AVR displays "Atmos/PCM" as the format, it lists nothing for channels (oddly), 48khz Sampling, nothing for bitrate and +4dB Dialogue. It properly lists 5.1.0 with appropriate speakers under Output.
MALICIOUS ONE likes this.
post #491 of 630 Old 05-08-2019, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

yes! I go back and forth DSU and NeuralX. they do both great jobs with 5ch or 7ch sound sources!! (games & movies)
post #492 of 630 Old 05-09-2019, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
When choosing Bitstream/Atmos on my X1X 5.1 setup, my Yamaha AVR displays "Atmos/PCM" as the format, it lists nothing for channels (oddly), 48khz Sampling, nothing for bitrate and +4dB Dialogue. It properly lists 5.1.0 with appropriate speakers under Output.

Same here. I am an Xbox Insider (Alpha Skip Ahead) with the Atmos upmixing feature. I have 5.2.2 set up. Rockband 4 sounds awesome now!

Samsung UN65JS8500/Samsung UBD-K8500/Onkyo TX-RX830 using 5.2.4/Xbox One X w/Kinect
XBL Gamertag: MALICIOUS ONE
My Twitter
My Rock Band/Guitar Hero DLC
post #493 of 630 Old 05-09-2019, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is there a list of Atmos headphone games and Atmos true surround? Like is overwatch Atmos headphone only?

"Kill Cancer or Die"
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
post #494 of 630 Old 05-09-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post
Is there a list of Atmos headphone games and Atmos true surround? Like is overwatch Atmos headphone only?
DaverJ has a list of them on the first post of this thread. He updates it too it looks like.

• Assassins Creed Origins (Xbox)
  • Battlefield 1 (PC)
  • Crackdown 3 (Xbox) *currently without Atmos... bug?
  • Final Fantasy XV (Xbox)
  • For Honor (Xbox)
  • Forza Horizon 4 (Xbox)
  • Gears of War 4 (Xbox)
  • Metro Exodus (Xbox)
  • Overwatch (for headphones, PC)
  • Resident Evil 2 (Xbox and PC)
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox, X model only)
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider (Xbox, X model only?)
  • Star Wars: Battlefront (PC)
  • Super Lucky's Tale (Xbox)
  • Tom Clancy's The Division® 2 (Xbox and PC)

You can see some a link in the Dolby Access app as well on the Xbox, but it doesn't have all the games listed above. It does have a link to movies that are Atmos on the Xbox video player. (I saw some of my Movies Anywhere linked movies are Atmos.) Check the links in that Dobly Access app on the Xbox. It has some nice demo clips too. My buddy has a Dolby Vision TV & he said the clips in the app are in Dolby Vision too. They are in just SDR though if you don't have a Dolby Vision TV.

Also, here is a link to a MUST READ post about what video settings you should have. I had 10bit since my TV is a 10bit panel & was wrong the whole time. All TV's should be on 8bit, Allow 4:2:2 should be checked as well, & I didn't have that checked too. I think any 4K HDR/Dolby Vision Xbox owner should see it. It's been eye opening to say the least.

XBOX/PS4/Switch Signal Analysis + Optimal XBOX Settings: Color Depth, Space, 4:2:2
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/94-ho...l#post57895250
DaverJ and Jacob R. like this.

Samsung UN65JS8500/Samsung UBD-K8500/Onkyo TX-RX830 using 5.2.4/Xbox One X w/Kinect
My Twitter

Last edited by MALICIOUS ONE; 05-09-2019 at 08:37 PM.
post #495 of 630 Old 05-14-2019, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Using a Denon X2400h and an LG C8 OLED with my One X and I get a noticeable audio delay when I use Bitstream Dolby Atmos compared to when I use uncompressed 7.1 PCM

I can even notice it in the menu sounds

Is there anything I can do? I've tried playing with lip sync and audio delay, but I already had it set off. Is this an issue with the Xbox One X, my AVR or my TV?
post #496 of 630 Old 05-16-2019, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

i am playing God of War on PS3 origins HD collection; chains of olympus and Ghost of sparta. sending 5ch LPCM to my receiver and that's doing DSU dolby atmos upmix; the games sound awesome!!
camd5pt0 likes this.
post #497 of 630 Old 05-16-2019, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by chr0m View Post
Using a Denon X2400h and an LG C8 OLED with my One X and I get a noticeable audio delay when I use Bitstream Dolby Atmos compared to when I use uncompressed 7.1 PCM

I can even notice it in the menu sounds

Is there anything I can do? I've tried playing with lip sync and audio delay, but I already had it set off. Is this an issue with the Xbox One X, my AVR or my TV?

I’ve had the same issue with Atmos games. What’s worked for me in the past is to enable auto lip sync on the receiver and make sure the delay control is set all the way to the left so you get a total delay of zero.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
post #498 of 630 Old 05-17-2019, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
I’ve had the same issue with Atmos games. What’s worked for me in the past is to enable auto lip sync on the receiver and make sure the delay control is set all the way to the left so you get a total delay of zero.
I tried that, but didn't seem to help.

The Denon lets you choose lipsync of 0 to 500ms. I put it on 0, but it was still noticeably worse than if I used Uncompressed PCM.

The manual talks about video game mode on the AVR, I use bypass because I want minimal input lag. I'm thinking if the game mode makes the audio in sync it'll just be delaying the video to match the audio, which is not what you want for gaming!

I don't have any ceiling or upfiring speakers anyway, so 7.1 is probably enough for now. Would be nice to have no audio delay on Atmos though.
post #499 of 630 Old 05-26-2019, 11:32 AM

So the Dolby Access Xbox app got updated the other day. They updated supported games & movies links in the app.

Crackdown 3 is STILL not supported. I thought Crackdown 1 was the best sounding Xbox 360 game that I played. Crackdown 3 was on of the reasons I upgraded to an Atmos receiver. So I could play it in Atmos.
They delayed it twice & now still no Atmos support months after release. Even Windows Central & back of the box says it's Atmos when it's still not.

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-...mos-games-list
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crackdown 3 Box Back.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	241.3 KB
ID:	2572082  

My Twitter
post #500 of 630 Old 05-27-2019, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

There is a lot broken in that game

"Kill Cancer or Die"
post #501 of 630 Old 05-28-2019, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Not Atmos but started the Ultimate edition of Gears of War - very aggressive discreet 7.1 mix - with DSU upmixing its really top demo piece - just going thru level with attacking birds - man I was ducking and moving - gaming is really fun when get this level of immersion -really impressed with whole remastering of game on xbox one X
DaverJ and camd5pt0 like this.

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #502 of 630 Old 05-29-2019, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by MALICIOUS ONE View Post
So the Dolby Access Xbox app got updated the other day. They updated supported games & movies links in the app.

Crackdown 3 is STILL not supported. I thought Crackdown 1 was the best sounding Xbox 360 game that I played. Crackdown 3 was on of the reasons I upgraded to an Atmos receiver. So I could play it in Atmos.
They delayed it twice & now still no Atmos support months after release. Even Windows Central & back of the box says it's Atmos when it's still not.

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-...mos-games-list
Yup, it is really sad that Atmos is still not implemented after all this time.
Just in general the Atmos support for games leaves a lot to be desired. I would've thought by now it would be more widely implemented.
post #503 of 630 Old 06-02-2019, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Call of Duty Modern Warfare confirmed.... Dolby Atmos

Beyond excited for this. Going to crush any other titles out there in sound design.
DaverJ likes this.
post #504 of 630 Old 06-02-2019, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1780 Post(s)
Liked: 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCableMan View Post
Call of Duty Modern Warfare confirmed.... Dolby Atmos

Beyond excited for this. Going to crush any other titles out there in sound design.
Thanks, added to the OP.

The original version of this game has some crazy sound design, I imagine the new version will be an Atmos showpiece.
post #505 of 630 Old 06-28-2019, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey, i can confirm that Atmos works for Metro Exodus and Gears of War 4 on PC.
i have tested it using Dolby Atmos for headphones on Windows 10 v1809.
i have attached a screenshot from Metro Exodus settings to enable Atmos.
Gears of War 4 dosent not have any toggle to enable Atmos but if it sees that you have an Atmos capable device then it outputs Atmos soundtrack.
sadly dont really have any proof for Gears as i uninstalled the game a few days ago and dont have any gameplay recording for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190519014645_1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	353.5 KB
ID:	2585310  
post #506 of 630 Old 06-28-2019, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentSide View Post
Hey, i can confirm that Atmos works for Metro Exodus and Gears of War 4 on PC.
i have tested it using Dolby Atmos for headphones on Windows 10 v1809.
i have attached a screenshot from Metro Exodus settings to enable Atmos.
Gears of War 4 dosent not have any toggle to enable Atmos but if it sees that you have an Atmos capable device then it outputs Atmos soundtrack.
sadly dont really have any proof for Gears as i uninstalled the game a few days ago and dont have any gameplay recording for it.
looking forward to Exodus after I finish last light - the 7.1 is superb in first two games hopefully Atmos is nicely implemented

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #507 of 630 Old 06-29-2019, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post
looking forward to Exodus after I finish last light - the 7.1 is superb in first two games hopefully Atmos is nicely implemented
Ohh yeah, Atmos implementation is great and it fits perfect with a game like Exodus. Honestly it is soo immersive, the Raytraced Graphics and Atmos. Using Atmos is like i can now trust my ears just as much as my eyes. Trust me you will definately enjoy Metro Exodus with Atmos (atleast with Atmos for Headphones).
post #508 of 630 Old 07-09-2019, 07:12 AM

What ever happened to this update??? I haven't heard anything from Microsoft?? I just updated to the latest version of Xbox One OS, but still nothing related to Atmos upmixing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCableMan View Post
Thank you. I really appreciate you taking the time to do that. Excited to try this myself on a few games and see the results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camd5pt0 View Post
I did a quick A/B

The Dolby Atmos upmixing I'm calling it, in comparison to the DSU, I certainly prefer.
DAU the sound is punchier, Bass is a tad deeper with DAU, sounds are more decreet, meeting you can better pinpoint where the sound is coming from.

They both sound spacious, dispute DAU not using rear height. DSU the sound when the instructor is speaking, definitely sounds like it's coming from channels/speakers vs relevance to a point in space, object level.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #509 of 630 Old 07-09-2019, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
What ever happened to this update??? I haven't heard anything from Microsoft?? I just updated to the latest version of Xbox One OS, but still nothing related to Atmos upmixing.
Sad. Nothing since that article months ago. I bet they are saving it for the NextBox

Home theatre: 65" Sony X950G / LG UBKM9 / Sony UBD-X800 / Xbox One X Project Scorpio / PS4 Pro
Denon AVR-X4400H 7.1.4 config. / Plantronics Dolby Atmos RIG 600LX
Pioneer Andrew Jones L,R,C,SL,SR,SBL,SBR / (4) Polk Atrium 5 series TF,TR
SVS PB-2000 w/ SVS SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation System
post #510 of 630 Old 07-09-2019, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by camd5pt0 View Post
Sad. Nothing since that article months ago. I bet they are saving it for the NextBox

Mine is working fine. Playing world war z which is not Atmos. Receiver lights up Atmos whole time and I still receive sound through my height channels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page