Dolby Atmos for GAMING thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 362Likes

post #541 of 696 Old 09-08-2019, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked: 4060
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCableMan View Post
Just pre or pre ordered Gears 5. Super excited for Tuesday to get my hands on this. How is the overhead on this. I've seen a few walkthroughs online and can tell this will be a pretty good audio demo

You'll love the Atmos in Gears 5. The first scene after the tutorial takes place inside a helicopter, and the rotary blades are isolated to the overhead speakers. And it only gets better after that.
MALICIOUS ONE and am2model3 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 696 Old 09-08-2019, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Just an FYI to my issue - a reformat fixed it - which is annoying but thats how it went. Felt like an idiot cause I only had this set up for like a week and already had issues. But it literally took me 2 minutes from reformat to get atmos to work. I didnt even need to install video drivers. So something definetly got borked.

Quote:
Just pre or pre ordered Gears 5. Super excited for Tuesday to get my hands on this. How is the overhead on this. I've seen a few walkthroughs online and can tell this will be a pretty good audio demo
Why preorder? Get a year of game pass ultimate for same price. Its free on game pass. Hell, I paid $1 for it with trial ultimate on pc - I just made a brand new account.
Hell, if you did that you could of started playing like 3 days ago as well. Get Outerworlds, Phoenix Point, etc - Thats just in the next 2-3 months.

Read the things about how to get game pass ultimate ultra cheap on slickdeals. I believe they are still valid. Regardless unless you plan to play it for over a year its still some good savings.

Last edited by eqzitara; 09-08-2019 at 02:07 PM.
post #543 of 696 Old 09-08-2019, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqzitara View Post
Just an FYI to my issue - a reformat fixed it - which is annoying but thats how it went. Felt like an idiot cause I only had this set up for like a week and already had issues. But it literally took me 2 minutes from reformat to get atmos to work. I didnt even need to install video drivers. So something definetly got borked.

Why preorder? Get a year of game pass ultimate for same price. Its free on game pass. Hell, I paid $1 for it with trial ultimate on pc - I just made a brand new account.
Hell, if you did that you could of started playing like 3 days ago as well. Get Outerworlds, Phoenix Point, etc - Thats just in the next 2-3 months.

Read the things about how to get game pass ultimate ultra cheap on slickdeals. I believe they are still valid. Regardless unless you plan to play it for over a year its still some good savings.
Thank you for the suggestions. I have not looked into gamepads to much but my fear is I really like replaying the game at a later time, and that if I'm still interested in it they may have removed from the gamepads store. I may look into it more.

Also I am a steel book junkie and I try to grab them when I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #544 of 696 Old 09-08-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the suggestions. I have not looked into gamepads to much but my fear is I really like replaying the game at a later time, and that if I'm still interested in it they may have removed from the gamepads store. I may look into it more.

Also I am a steel book junkie and I try to grab them when I can.
Gamepass games from microsoft studios will not be removed.

Like outerworlds/phoenix point MIGHT be there for only a month or two. No idea but Outerworlds might not since they were an acquisition after the fact but games like Halo/gears will remain.

I mean if your playing on xbox and ever decide to get buy it later on you will still be able to get it at a deep discount and your save will remain - its attached to account.
MALICIOUS ONE likes this.
post #545 of 696 Old 09-08-2019, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stevenson View Post
I have a SR6013 and had no issues, been playing around with different connections to see what I like from ease of use and sound so far, but had no problems getting the Atmos out correctly both when connected directly and through my TV arc.

I assume you've got the Dolby app installed, it's needed to output Atmos for games etc. I know the setting for the Blu-ray output is independent of the Games, menus and so on setting, which would be why your getting UHDs out correctly. Your post reads like you have things set-up similarly to me, maybe check the Marantz settings to ensure they are "pure" I think.
Thanks for the help. I actually swapped the 6014 to a 7013 (for multiple reasons) and immediately it picked up Atmos, just like when using the Denon. Across all three receivers all settings were identical but 6014 would not pick up Atmos. I do not know why, and whether the issue is with the Xbox to 6014, or 6014 itself. Anyway, loving the 7013.
Andrew Stevenson likes this.
post #546 of 696 Old 09-09-2019, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 133
It's curious that the only game I've come across with an Atmos toggle setting is Metro: Exodus. It's also a bit of strange implementation. Are there other Atmos-based FPS?

Last edited by pg22; 09-09-2019 at 01:30 PM.
post #547 of 696 Old 09-09-2019, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Metro uses Microsofts version called Spatial Audio. Pretty much the same but I feel it is a little off and needs tweaking still.
pg22 likes this.
post #548 of 696 Old 09-09-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quick question. I have a soundbar which supports Dolby Digital and DTS (but not the fancier ATMOS) but I can't seem to output Dolby Digital from my Xbox One X via ARC to my TV and then from my TV to the soundbar.

When I play a 4K blu-ray I immediately get an error message when starting a movie with the Xbox blu-ray app saying the audio is not playable, please uncheck 'Let my receiver decode audio'.

Any ideas what's going on? Frustrated af right now...
post #549 of 696 Old 09-09-2019, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieper View Post
Quick question. I have a soundbar which supports Dolby Digital and DTS (but not the fancier ATMOS) but I can't seem to output Dolby Digital from my Xbox One X via ARC to my TV and then from my TV to the soundbar.

When I play a 4K blu-ray I immediately get an error message when starting a movie with the Xbox blu-ray app saying the audio is not playable, please uncheck 'Let my receiver decode audio'.

My guess... using ARC, the Xbox might be seeing the TV as the sound source instead of the sound bar, and the TV might not support DD/DTS..?

Can you turn off ARC and go xbox to soundbar, soundbar to TV?
post #550 of 696 Old 09-09-2019, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
My guess... using ARC, the Xbox might be seeing the TV as the sound source instead of the sound bar, and the TV might not support DD/DTS..?

Can you turn off ARC and go xbox to soundbar, soundbar to TV?
Also make sure your TV audio is set to output through ARC as well
post #551 of 696 Old 09-09-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieper View Post

I know another user pointed it out but why would you connect connect xbox to tv instead of to receiver/soundbar - I don't see any benefit. I am sure your soundbar is in same position as tv and it prevents hassles with audio timing being off what/ever since it probably has some auto lipsync/offset feature.

Last edited by eqzitara; 09-09-2019 at 11:21 AM.
post #552 of 696 Old 09-09-2019, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Metro uses Microsofts version called Spatial Audio. Pretty much the same but I feel it is a little off and needs tweaking still.
Agreed. In fact, that sentence applies pretty much to the whole game, imo.
post #553 of 696 Old 09-10-2019, 05:57 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stevenson View Post
Just recently upgraded to Atmos so trying to consume as much as possible and try different stuff out. Forza Horizon 4 with the jet show-case was a neat early standout.

Anyone know if Gears 5 supports Atmos? I don't see any mention of it on Dolby sites or publicity around it in some quick Googling so leaning towards No. I know Gears 4 supported it, but wonder if it will be like the Assassins Creed games, Origins had it, then Odyssey didn't. Shooter games aren't really my style, but as a Game Pass member, hard to say no to not at least trying Gears 5.
Quote:
Yeah, I don't remember any buzz talking about Atmos support in Gears 5, but it was nice to see that logo pop up. One would think Dolby and/or Microsoft would be promoting the audio in this triple-A title. Both companies seem to have cooled on Atmos in gaming, which is a shame.

EDIT: need to check if the PC version has it. Anyone try it yet?
Quote:
Quote:
You'll love the Atmos in Gears 5. The first scene after the tutorial takes place inside a helicopter, and the rotary blades are isolated to the overhead speakers. And it only gets better after that.
I tried Gears 5. Just a few minutes. At one time I look at my wife and tell her: the ceiling is fallimg apart on us???
DaverJ and GPBURNS like this.

Last edited by asabrag; 09-10-2019 at 04:08 PM.
post #554 of 696 Old 09-10-2019, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Lol... I had that same feeling during "A Quiet Place"... I actually shrugged my head into my sholders.

That's when you know when Atoms is done properly.
asabrag likes this.
post #555 of 696 Old 09-10-2019, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

So I had a small amount of free time to load this up. I'm just at the beginning of Act I right now and the Atoms is incredibly good. That helicopter repel scene was amazing. I though the rotor sounds panning above and around as you swayed on the rope was a pretty cool sound but then the wild life started making a presence. Really reminded me of the "Amaze" demo for Dolby atmos but only better.
post #556 of 696 Old 09-12-2019, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Here’s a review of Dolby Atmos in Gears 5 from our friend John Archer.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc...y-atmos-sound/

BTW The upcoming Cyberpank game is also going to be in Dolby Atmos.
post #557 of 696 Old 09-13-2019, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolbyVision View Post
BTW The upcoming Cyberpank game is also going to be in Dolby Atmos.

Thanks, added to OP "Coming Soon".

Last edited by DaverJ; 09-13-2019 at 08:19 AM.
post #558 of 696 Old 09-13-2019, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 210
awesome!

i'm playing Gears1,2,3,J, and then 4 and 5. Right now; Gears1 sounds good with DolbyDigital+DSU!! I can't wait to play and listen to Gears4&5 with native Atmos!!! Sweet!!
post #559 of 696 Old 09-13-2019, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2360 Post(s)
Liked: 924
Is there a good list of Xbox PC broken down by atmos for headphones vs home theater

It’s a confusing mess - so gears 5 is both right?

DocACE911 on Steam, XBOX, PS4
"Kill Cancer or Die"
Custom Z9 Game Settings For SDR and HDR
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
Loving Wife and 4 year old Son who tolerate this expense!
post #560 of 696 Old 09-18-2019, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post
Is there a good list of Xbox PC broken down by atmos for headphones vs home theater

It’s a confusing mess - so gears 5 is both right?
Yeah definately looks like a mess but i think most games supports both, Atmos for Headphones and over HDMI. There are only 2 games that i know of which only supports Atmos over HDMI and they are Battlefield 1 and Star wars Battlefront and only available on the PC version. i am pretty sure Gears 5 would support both, Atmos for headphones and over HDMI as Gears of war 4 did.
post #561 of 696 Old 09-19-2019, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I really wish Microsoft would show ATmos in the description like hdr10 or 4k
MALICIOUS ONE and asabrag like this.

"Kill Cancer or Die"
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
post #562 of 696 Old 09-21-2019, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Yeah, agreed. they should add another tag where it shows 5.1/7.1/Atmos support.

Also i tried Call of Duty Modern Warfare open beta. i am just Amazzzeeedd!! how awesome it sounds through my headphones.
post #563 of 696 Old 09-22-2019, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Wow. I played the beta for Modern Warfare. I'm playing on a 7.1.4 system and wow. The Atmos sound space is easily the best in any video game, and better than most all Atmos at home movies. Right there with the best examples.

I can easily hear the verticality on the battlefield and tell if enemies are above me or a score streak and act accordingly. Sounds are discreet and blend into the lower bed when necessary. I'm very glad they took the effort to put this together. Demo worthy.

Wearing my Plantronics 600 the Atmos is great. I can hear directional ques, and by far better than regular stereo I have tried with them on PS4 Pro. But honestly, I'm spoiled with my system but when I need to voice chat, I don't mind wearing it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Home theatre: 65" Sony X950G / LG UBKM9 / Sony UBD-X800 / Xbox One X Project Scorpio / PS4 Pro
Denon AVR-X4400H 7.1.4 config. / Plantronics Dolby Atmos RIG 600LX
Pioneer Andrew Jones L,R,C,SL,SR,SBL,SBR / (4) Polk Atrium 5 series TF,TR
SVS PB-2000 w/ SVS SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation System
post #564 of 696 Old 09-23-2019, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Modern Warfare is o e if the best demos I have heard from Dolby Atmos. Not just the heights but the whole sound field is so real. This is everything I wanted it to be and something I've been lo going for in a game. I know that sounds fruity but once you try it you will understand why.

Gunshots that pass over your head actually pan across. I placed c4 and detonated it and the debris cascade the sound field. I love hearing killstreaks from above and know where they are. As posted above you can tell if someone is firing a weapon above you. Tons of multi level buildings that this had a impact on.

There are just so many demo worthy moments in just the multiplayer beta to list. It uh
As trumped every movie experience I have had in atmos. Also IW has included some sweet audio settings to accommodate different setting from HT to headphone to TV speakers. I'm playing on flat setting. They have a blog out that goes over the various descriptions.
DaverJ likes this.

Always Up for a Good Zombie Flick
post #565 of 696 Old 09-23-2019, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1155 Post(s)
Liked: 633
I was very impressed with the Sound Design of the Modern Warfare Beta. The "Overhead" audio coming from Precision Strikes, Cruise Missiles, and Attack Helicopters were incredible.

I have "upfiring" Atmos Speakers in my 7.1.4 set up and knowing the limitations of this set up, this beta proved otherwise.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #566 of 696 Old 09-23-2019, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I tried 5.1.4 on my Xbox and headphones on pc. I don’t think atmos is working on pc. No atmos option, just 3 “headphone” option

"Kill Cancer or Die"
post #567 of 696 Old 09-24-2019, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post
I tried 5.1.4 on my Xbox and headphones on pc. I don’t think atmos is working on pc. No atmos option, just 3 “headphone” option
Did you install Doiby Atmos app on PC?

While I'm impressed with Atmos sound in MW 2019, why so much louder? It sounds like 5 to 10db too hot. The game is quite bit laggy on my Xbox One S (and my son concurs on his PC version running on GT1060). I wonder how much performance optimization/improvement they can put into it with only one month to the release date.

Last edited by Foxbat121; 09-24-2019 at 06:21 AM.
post #568 of 696 Old 09-24-2019, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
Did you install Doiby Atmos app on PC?

While I'm impressed with Atmos sound in MW 2019, why so much louder? It sounds like 5 to 10db too hot.
Possibly because you are using the "Flat" or "infinity ward" mix which has zero compression. Pure audio out.
post #569 of 696 Old 09-24-2019, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes I installed the atmos app and purchased the headphone option. I have spent (way too much ) some time comparing literally ALL
3D audio products including sxfi. Atmos app and creative Xblaster - for my head - does the best job or creating 7.1 effect and localizing sound in space

I think the headphone mix is an attempt at binaural so adding atmos on top ruins it. Best effect was atmos off, headphone mix 3

Atmos on my 5.1.4 (definitive tech towers, PSA 18” sub, def tech surrounds was simply the most impressive thing I have heard since the Dolby “amaze”
Demo

Kudos - but Microsoft has to make this whole atmos thing easy.

1. Game has atmos speakers , atmos headphones
2. Consistent labeling

"Kill Cancer or Die"
post #570 of 696 Old 09-24-2019, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Possibly because you are using the "Flat" or "infinity ward" mix which has zero compression. Pure audio out.
The beta is too short. So I have no time to play with settings, just the default. Zero compression should mean softer audio, not louder (which is typical of the range compressed audio).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page