Dolby Atmos for GAMING thread - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 298Likes

post #601 of 630 Old 10-06-2019, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by asabrag View Post
Why would xbox conecte to an 696/787 send atmos mat only on 840??
You are mistaken. Xbox always sends out this format regardless. This format is not commonly found in discs or stream medias. Looks like 840 has a bug that it can't correctly identify this format (according to Dolby, all Atmos receivers should be able to identify and properly handle this format).

There is no easy way to perform real time compression to generate TrueHD or DD+ Atmos for consoles and PCs where the main game sound is PCM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 630 Old 10-06-2019, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by asabrag View Post
Why would xbox conecte to an 696/787 send atmos mat only on 840??
You are mistaken. Xbox always sends out this format regardless. This format is not commonly found in discs or stream medias. Looks like 840 has a bug that it can't correctly identify this format (according to Dolby, all Atmos receivers should be able to identify and properly handle this format).

There is no easy way to perform real time compression to generate TrueHD or DD+ Atmos for consoles and PCs where the main game sound is PCM.
I suppose this tech is beyond my full understanding but what I do know is that my 696 that I bought a year ago clearly output atmos - it said my xbox was out putting atmos, my receiver accepted it and outputted atmos. However, the rz840 is now reading this as multich pcm, and outputting various fields like game-rock or game-rpg, or full mono, all channel etc. Theres no dolby surround, or Dolby digital, or dts, or atmos. It's very limiting and it doesnt sound remotely the same.

Entire sole purpose for my buying the rz840 over the nr696 was to get 5.1.4 over 5.1.2. So without it, this was a waste of money and thing is junk.
post #603 of 630 Old 10-06-2019, 01:22 PM

The bottom line is that 840 sounds broken.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 630 Old 10-06-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
The bottom line is that 840 sounds broken.

I think this essentially confirms it. Hooked up my 696 and got atmos, see pic. Then switched back to my rz840 and its pcm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191006_191226_1570404156624.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	3.00 MB
ID:	2624520   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191006_190439_1570404168800.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	2624522  
post #605 of 630 Old 10-07-2019, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 202
might be Xbox Atmos MAT signal; like they said you may want to contact Onkyo or see about a receiver update file?

I am on a denon.
post #606 of 630 Old 10-07-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by am2model3 View Post
might be Xbox Atmos MAT signal; like they said you may want to contact Onkyo or see about a receiver update file?

I am on a denon.
Contacted both onkyo and xbox and they both said all my settings are correct and pointing finger at the other. Awesome. I'm so angry right now. No one can help and tech support wont try. And now business I bought from wants to charge a restock fee for returning this POS.
post #607 of 630 Old 10-08-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:

I am on a denon.
After 5 calls and hrs of tech support, the issue is actually with the xbox. I get atmos on my receiver perfectly fine from apple 4k tv and from my xbox via blu ray disc movie. Its streaming apps and games that do multich pcm.

Bottom line is to live with it cause no one could help. Cool. Spending lots of money on features that don't work. Love it.
asabrag likes this.
post #608 of 630 Old 10-09-2019, 03:21 AM

If I were you, I'd return that POS 840 at a loss and get something else. BestBuy has TX-NR787 for a very good price, something around $400 and half of that for open boxes.

As mentioned, your 840 seems don't support Atmos MAT signal and that will be the ONLY Atmos format for games and apps going forward.

Onkyo likely will patch this issue eventually but argue with tech support won't help because they have no clue nor any means to write a new firmware just for you. The guy to blame lives in Japan and likely only speaks Japanese

Last edited by Foxbat121; 10-09-2019 at 03:25 AM.
post #609 of 630 Old 10-09-2019, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

sounds like your onkyo 840 doesn't like the xbox MAT atmos signal.

did you: update your onkyo to latest firmware? update xbox system update? update xbox dolby app? (just trying to help)

system settings: audio: bitstream, and dolby atmos.

The xbox atmos signal for gaming is unique; and different from 4k blu rays and blu rays atmos.

(for example: movies it sends as DolbyTrueHD/Atmos as the signal in my information)

(for games, the dolby atmos MAT signal only shows up as "dolby atmos" and no other options.

when you have your 840 with xbox atmos; have you tried running the dolby app and playing the test videos with audio? Put your ear up to your atmos speakers and what do you hear?
post #610 of 630 Old 10-09-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
sounds like your onkyo 840 doesn't like the xbox MAT atmos signal.

did you: update your onkyo to latest firmware? update xbox system update? update xbox dolby app? (just trying to help)

system settings: audio: bitstream, and dolby atmos.

The xbox atmos signal for gaming is unique; and different from 4k blu rays and blu rays atmos.

(for example: movies it sends as DolbyTrueHD/Atmos as the signal in my information)

(for games, the dolby atmos MAT signal only shows up as "dolby atmos" and no other options.

when you have your 840 with xbox atmos; have you tried running the dolby app and playing the test videos with audio? Put your ear up to your atmos speakers and what do you hear?
I've tried all the above. I watched tomb raider movie clip in dolby app and the display said multich pcm input and output was game-action 5.1.4 and the upfiring atmos speakers were playing audio. At chance of sounding crazy, they still didnt sound like atmos. I say that in the sense that I had 5.1.2 atmos for a year, had a lot of experience listening to it, and now I have 5.1.4. And what I'm hearing isn't atmos or if it is, it feels like it's horrible quality
am2model3 likes this.
post #611 of 630 Old 10-10-2019, 11:32 AM

It's your receiver's problem, no doubt about it unless you can find another device works with your receiver that also outputs Dolby MAT 2.0 Atmos audio. The reason Xbox (or any gaming system) needs to use Dolby MAT 2.0, not the conventional TrueHD or Dolby Digital Plus, is to avoid the excessive resource use and delay when you try to compress live audio (mostly from games) into TrueHD or DD+. It would be quite useless if you fire a gun in a game and the sound doesn't come out of your receiver until a second or two later. Even half a second is not acceptable for most players.

There is also no excuse for Onkyo to not test the new receiver with Dolby MAT 2.0. But given its financial situation, e.g. try to merge with Denon's parent company and later get rejected, they probably cut a few corners here and there.
am2model3 likes this.
post #612 of 630 Old 10-10-2019, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

sounds like this: Dolby MAT 2.0 Atmos audio; isn't compatible with your onkyo unfortunately.

I can tell you my denon 4300h works fine with it.

Hope you can return your onkyo and get a different receiver; until Onkyo will support dolby atmos mat 2.0 signals.

sorry, wanted to try and help; but xbox has a unique atmos signal it seems.
post #613 of 630 Old 10-10-2019, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

post #614 of 630 Old 10-10-2019, 02:38 PM

So far, it is only that partiçular Onkyo model, RZ840, has this problem. Other Onkyo models include his old model work just fine. But he refuse to believe it.

post #615 of 630 Old 10-14-2019, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlson275 View Post
After 5 calls and hrs of tech support, the issue is actually with the xbox. I get atmos on my receiver perfectly fine from apple 4k tv and from my xbox via blu ray disc movie. Its streaming apps and games that do multich pcm.

Bottom line is to live with it cause no one could help. Cool. Spending lots of money on features that don't work. Love it.
Quote:
If I were you, I'd return that POS 840 at a loss and get something else. BestBuy has TX-NR787 for a very good price, something around $400 and half of that for open boxes.

As mentioned, your 840 seems don't support Atmos MAT signal and that will be the ONLY Atmos format for games and apps going forward.

Onkyo likely will patch this issue eventually but argue with tech support won't help because they have no clue nor any means to write a new firmware just for you. The guy to blame lives in Japan and likely only speaks Japanese
^^ This. I think I know how Carlson275 is feeling, after spending hours on the phone with technical support and not having a resolution because neither of the two companies knows how to fix the problem. Or should I say, neither of the two companies' technical support operations knows how to fix the problem. It's frustrating and sometimes maddening.

Carlson275: I'm curious as to why your new AVR doesn't recognize Dolby Atmos MAT from your Xbox but does recognize Atmos from your Apple TV 4K; I've read that Apple TV does Dolby Atmos via Dolby MAT. If that is true, how can your AVR recognize Dolby Atmos MAT from an Apple TV and not from an Xbox?

A random thought: try plugging your Xbox into a different HDMI port and see if your AVR recognizes Atmos from your Xbox, unless technical support had you try that already.

I don't know; my Xbox One S is configured to bitstream Atmos and my AVR identifies it as Atmos.

Quote:

Yep, it sounds like the technical support from neither company can resolve the problem satisfactorily.

I got my Onkyo TX-NR787 at Best Buy, open-box, for ~$280 (not including tax and the optional extra warranty, which I bought).

TV: LG 47LW5700, AVR: Onkyo TX-NR787, speakers: DCM KX speakers:DCM KX-12 Series 2 (as front left and front right), DCM KX Center Series 2, DCM KX-6 Series 2 (as side surround left and right), sources: Xbox One S, Playstation 2 (fat model), Nintendo GameCube (model with digital AV output) with GameBoy Player, Panasonic VCR (PV-4661), PC: Microsoft Surface Pro (5th generation), phone: iPhone 7 Plus

Last edited by Drew Neilson; 10-14-2019 at 03:40 PM.
post #616 of 630 Old 10-14-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Neilson View Post
Yep, it sounds like the technical support from neither company can resolve the problem satisfactorily.
On another thread, he already got Onkyo admit that is the problem with 2019 Onkyo receivers. They are working on resolving it in Japan. Older receivers from Onkyo has no such problem.
post #617 of 630 Old 10-14-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
On another thread, he already got Onkyo admit that is the problem with 2019 Onkyo receivers. They are working on resolving it in Japan. Older receivers from Onkyo has no such problem.
I still wonder why it would affect those Onkyo AVRs when the source device is an Xbox One but not an Apple TV 4K.
asabrag likes this.

TV: LG 47LW5700, AVR: Onkyo TX-NR787, speakers: DCM KX speakers:DCM KX-12 Series 2 (as front left and front right), DCM KX Center Series 2, DCM KX-6 Series 2 (as side surround left and right), sources: Xbox One S, Playstation 2 (fat model), Nintendo GameCube (model with digital AV output) with GameBoy Player, Panasonic VCR (PV-4661), PC: Microsoft Surface Pro (5th generation), phone: iPhone 7 Plus
post #618 of 630 Old 10-14-2019, 05:27 PM

There is reason for ATV 4K to use Dolby MAT for Atmos. All it needs to do is just pass the Atmos track from the streaming media.

post #619 of 630 Old 10-14-2019, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
I still wonder why it would affect those Onkyo AVRs when the source device is an Xbox One but not an Apple TV 4K.
A lot of us wondering the same thing.
I packed my 840 until sold or new firmware announced by the time being.
post #620 of 630 Old 10-14-2019, 07:25 PM

I'm trying to learn as much as I can about how audio on Xbox One works and, since I read that Xbox One will soon get Atmos upmixing, I want to learn about that as well, and I'm searching this thread for the word [upmix] and am reading the posts that appear as results (and also some of the posts that are responses). Here are a few that I want to respond to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolbyVision View Post
And he answered our prayers.
Xbox One Is Getting Another Game-Changing Feature
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#191340027901
Does anyone have the upmixer yet? If so, is it simply the Dolby Surround upmixer--the same Dolby Surround upmixer that Atmos-equipped AVRs have--or is it something custom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
Not all games are 7.1, but most are. Atmos aside, Microsoft and Sony gives developers 8 channels to work with, it's up to the devs, or the engine they are working with, how many channels are used.

I believe the Battlefield series also does 5.1 on consoles.
Quote:
The Atmos upmixing was there when Dolby Atmos app first introduced. It is part of the functionality of the Atmos app. But later, it was removed due to Dolby flip flop on licensing of Atmos upmixing to only Dolby Audio tracks, not PCM or other tracks. So, Dolby Labs changed its mind again recently to allow Atmos upmixing on non-Dolby tracks. So, we 'd expect to see that come back to Xbox ASAP. Not really impressing back in the days. Not really expect to see much difference with the new update.

I only wish it can upmix 5.1 PCM game audio (majority of games are 5.1 audio) to 7.1 first before upmixing to Atmos. I have a 7.1.2 setup and hate to see two silent rears whenever I switch to Bitstream Atmos.
So DaverJ says that most games have 7.1 audio, and Foxbat121 says that most games have 5.1 audio. Which of those two statements is true? If you can be platform-specific, please be platform-specific: Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360, PS3, Switch, Wii-U, etc.

I wonder if there is a site like shotonwhat.com, but for games.

Foxbat121: Would you mind updating me on this: when you switch to bitstreaming Atmos, and play a game that has 5.1 audio, are your surround-back speakers still silent? What about Netflix and other media apps (and what plan(s) do you have for those services--HD or UHD)? Are you an Xbox Insider? Beta or Alpha?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg22 View Post
When choosing Bitstream/Atmos on my X1X 5.1 setup, my Yamaha AVR displays "Atmos/PCM" as the format, it lists nothing for channels (oddly), 48khz Sampling, nothing for bitrate and +4dB Dialogue. It properly lists 5.1.0 with appropriate speakers under Output.
My X1S is setup to bitstream Atmos to my AVR and my speaker setup is a 5.0 setup. When I'm using my Xbox, my AVR says that it is receiving Atmos, 48 kHz, does not mention PCM, number of input channels, bitrate, nor dialog level. Two of those things that it doesn't give me are things that your AVR gives you: yours says PCM and the dialog level. Why does yours show the dialog level and mine doesn't? I have passthrough bitstreaming for DVDs and Blu-rays enabled, and when I play a DVD or a Blu-ray, my AVR momentarily shows me a dialog value, but not when I'm doing anything else on my Xbox. In the thread how do Dolby Atmos and DTS:X work on Xbox One, Foxbat121 and I discuss whether Xbox Ones pass along Dolby metadata from sources such as Netflix and VUDU, and my impression is that they don't. If you have any information that you can add to that subject, please visit that thread.

post #621 of 630 Old 10-15-2019, 06:06 AM

Most games so far are not 7.1 PCM, at least the ones worth playing like Call Of Duty series, Battle Field series.
post #622 of 630 Old 10-15-2019, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
List needs an update. GRID 2019 has Atmos. Atleast on PC.
can someone check for Xbox?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1090500.6200000062_New%20Bitmap%20Image1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	2628168  
DaverJ likes this.
post #623 of 630 Old 10-15-2019, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by pg22 View Post
When choosing Bitstream/Atmos on my X1X 5.1 setup, my Yamaha AVR displays "Atmos/PCM" as the format, it lists nothing for channels, 48khz Sampling, nothing for bitrate and +4dB Dialogue. It properly lists 5.1.0 with appropriate speakers under Output.
Quote:

My X1S is setup to bitstream Atmos to my AVR and my speaker setup is a 5.0 setup. When I'm using my Xbox, my AVR says that it is receiving Atmos, 48 kHz, does not mention PCM, number of input channels, bitrate, nor dialog level. Two of those things that it doesn't give me are things that your AVR gives you: yours says PCM and the dialog level. Why does yours show the dialog level and mine doesn't? I have passthrough bitstreaming for DVDs and Blu-rays enabled, and when I play a DVD or a Blu-ray, my AVR momentarily shows me a dialog value, but not when I'm doing anything else on my Xbox. In the thread how do Dolby Atmos and DTS:X work on Xbox One, Foxbat121 and I discuss whether Xbox Ones pass along Dolby metadata from sources such as Netflix and VUDU, and my impression is that they don't. If you have any information that you can add to that subject, please visit that thread.
No idea as it relates to AVR data. I've upgraded to a 5.1.2 setup and everything remains the same w/r/t my post you quoted. I do believe the dialogue setting changes based on source, e.g., games, UHDs, DTS-X, streaming, etc. Don't know why. I can tell you that Gears 5 is the best, most active Atmos I've yet heard
post #624 of 630 Old 10-16-2019, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1780 Post(s)
Liked: 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentSide View Post
List needs an update. GRID 2019 has Atmos. Atleast on PC.
can someone check for Xbox?

Thanks for the picture confirming PC support - I couldn't find any reference to Atmos support for that one. Added the PC to the OP.

Anyone playing Grid on Xbox?
MALICIOUS ONE likes this.
post #625 of 630 Old 10-16-2019, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I was surprised to see Atmos support for Borderlands 3 on PC. Is it the same on XBOX?

The audio is quite good though I didn't notice a whole lot coming from the height channels.

AV equipment: Sony XBR65X930E, Denon X4400H, Sony UBP-X800 UHD, ATV 4K, PS4 Pro
5.1.4 Atmos setup: Klipsch RP-250C | RP-250F | RP-150M surrounds |SVS Prime Elevations (x4)
Subwoofers: SVS PB12-NSD |Outlaw LFM1-Plus

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
post #626 of 630 Old 10-16-2019, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post
I was surprised to see Atmos support for Borderlands 3 on PC. Is it the same on XBOX?

The audio is quite good though I didn't notice a whole lot coming from the height channels.

No Atmos on Xbox of Borderlands 3. Can you confirm support on PC with a screenshot or a link please? I can't find any mention of it anywhere, which doesn't really indicate much these days.
post #627 of 630 Old 10-16-2019, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No Atmos on Xbox of Borderlands 3. Can you confirm support on PC with a screenshot or a link please? I can't find any mention of it anywhere, which doesn't really indicate much these days.
Sure, I can when I get back home later. I think the setting in the menus is called "Spatial Audio" and it shows Dolby Atmos on my AVR.
DaverJ likes this.

5.1.4 Atmos setup: Klipsch RP-250C | RP-250F | RP-150M surrounds |SVS Prime Elevations (x4)

post #628 of 630 Old 10-16-2019, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post
Sure, I can when I get back home later. I think the setting in the menus is called "Spatial Audio" and it shows Dolby Atmos on my AVR.

Interesting - I found this (below). Could this option in Windows 10 be a way for game developers to sidestep licensing the Atmos branding but still use the tech..?

MALICIOUS ONE likes this.

Last edited by DaverJ; 10-16-2019 at 11:13 AM.
post #629 of 630 Old 10-16-2019, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Interesting - I found this (below). Could this option in Windows 10 be a way for game developers to sidestep licensing the Atmos branding but still use the tech..?

Yup, that's the setting. You have to have Dolby Atmos for Home Theater enabled in your PC sound settings and then the setting becomes available in the game.

I want to say the same phrasing was used for the audio setting in Shadow of Tomb Raider on PC.

post #630 of 630 Old 10-18-2019, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

I am almost done with Gears5 in DolbyAtmos, xbox x, 4k/60. the atmos is really great! it is as good as Gears4 atmos. very cool stuff!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page