Dolby Atmos for GAMING thread - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 364Likes

post #691 of 706 Old 11-19-2019, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 706 Old 11-19-2019, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentSide View Post
i think its already implemented and one game has already been taking advantage of it. Borderlands 3.
in the audio menu of BO3, the game dosent specifies Dolby Atmos or DTS:X, it simply says "Spatial Sound" and if you have a capable system which can process object based audio (Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, Windows Sonic) then it will pass through audio with Spatial metadata. Also interesting thing is most of the Atmos games are also listed on DTS's Microsoft store page. Here is what i think, basically all the games are using "Microsoft's Spatial audio" instead of any brand specific object based audio codec. this pops up another question in my mind that how is it that we get Dolby Atmos on our recievers instead of DTS:X, even for Borderlands 3 which dose not ties itself to any specific brand (Dolby/DTS). Here is what i know about it. and this will also answer another question of why all the non atmos content is also displayed as Atmos on the receiver. Windows 10 and Xbox has a built in Atmos Encoder, i think it uses the PCM-Atmos to encode audio in realtime as compressing it to TrueHD/DD+ based Atmos will need additional processing power. All the content regardless of Atmos or not goes through that pipeline and gets converted into Atmos.
here is a pretty good video from 2017 explaining how the entire system works :- https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/GDC...17/GDC2017-002

Plz correct me if i am wrong. took me a while to dig through all this.
I think developers have the ability to use either Dolby Atmos or Microsofts own spatial audio. Examples would be Metro Exodus... does not say Atmos at all on packaging but plays immersive audio. Either way the xbox outputs the meta data as Atmos to receiver.
post #693 of 706 Old 11-19-2019, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCableMan View Post
I think developers have the ability to use either Dolby Atmos or Microsofts own spatial audio. Examples would be Metro Exodus... does not say Atmos at all on packaging but plays immersive audio. Either way the xbox outputs the meta data as Atmos to receiver.
Yeah i guess so, otherwise Devs wouldn't have advertised their games as Dolby Atmos games like Gears 5 and The Division 2. but then it makes me think by using Microsoft's spatial audio, they basically achieve the same thing as Atmos then why do Devs wana licence Atmos and pay its fee? Marketing maybe? just because Atmos is a known format? idk. this is kina confusing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #694 of 706 Old 11-19-2019, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 53
After playing games in Dolby atmos and Metro Exodus I would say that Dolby atmos has better positioning of objects. Metro sounded cool but lacked the polish or others. I read an article about Microsoft spatial audio and it uses a different algorithm then atmos. I really could be wrong over all this but It really hard to get detailed info on video game audio unless it's related to headsets.

Try to find stuff on video and you get overwhelmed with info. Our end of the hobby is really a ninch group but slowly growing due to decrease in cost and the influx of atmos soundbars
post #695 of 706 Old 11-20-2019, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentSide View Post
i think its already implemented and one game has already been taking advantage of it. Borderlands 3.

in the audio menu of BO3, the game dosent specifies Dolby Atmos or DTS:X, it simply says "Spatial Sound" and if you have a capable system which can process object based audio (Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, Windows Sonic) then it will pass through audio with Spatial metadata. Also interesting thing is most of the Atmos games are also listed on DTS's Microsoft store page. Here is what i think, basically all the games are using "Microsoft's Spatial audio" instead of any brand specific object based audio codec. this pops up another question in my mind that how is it that we get Dolby Atmos on our recievers instead of DTS:X, even for Borderlands 3 which dose not ties itself to any specific brand (Dolby/DTS). Here is what i know about it. and this will also answer another question of why all the non atmos content is also displayed as Atmos on the receiver. Windows 10 and Xbox has a built in Atmos Encoder, i think it uses the PCM-Atmos to encode audio in realtime as compressing it to TrueHD/DD+ based Atmos will need additional processing power. All the content regardless of Atmos or not goes through that pipeline and gets converted into Atmos.

here is a pretty good video from 2017 explaining how the entire system works :- https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/GDC...17/GDC2017-002

Plz correct me if i am wrong. took me a while to dig through all this.
I havent seen any Atmos movies on MS Movies and TV! Has anyone?
post #696 of 706 Old 11-20-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asabrag View Post
I havent seen any Atmos movies on MS Movies and TV! Has anyone?
It just says "Dolby Audio" on all those UHD films so I assume plain old Dolby Digital 5.1, which sucks.
asabrag likes this.
post #697 of 706 Old 11-26-2019, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 204
New version, will test it tonight

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
DaverJ and asabrag like this.

Home theatre: 65" Sony X950G / LG UBKM9 / Sony UBD-X800 / Xbox One X Project Scorpio / PS4 Pro
Denon AVR-X4400H 7.1.4 config. / Plantronics Dolby Atmos RIG 600LX
Pioneer Andrew Jones L,R,C,SL,SR,SBL,SBR / (4) Polk Atrium 5 series TF,TR
SVS PB-2000 w/ SVS SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation System
post #698 of 706 Old 11-26-2019, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1762 Post(s)
Liked: 5029
Good bc I keep having to go back into the app every time to enable atmos after switching back to 5.1
post #699 of 706 Old 11-26-2019, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2240 Post(s)
Liked: 1784
Has anyone confirmed if using Spatial Audio on Borderlands 3 with Atmos Bitstreaming enabled results in active height/immersive sounds? Or is it still best to use PCM+DSU/Neural X like all other non-Atmos games?
post #700 of 706 Old 11-26-2019, 10:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
The Atmos up mixing add 2 height channels regardless if you have a 7.2.4 setup. so 5.1 gets up mixed to 5.1.2 that's it, the rest of the channels are blank. If you turn it off then it's 5.1 with the rest blank. The output signal though is whatever you max speakers are set to. So you can't upmix in receiver unless you set it to Dolby or Dts 5.1. Lpcm has a similar problem with blank channels on 5.1 tracks as there is no up mixing to 7.1.

TV-Sony Bravia KD-65"A1, Pioneer SC-LX901 7.2.4 ATMOS/DTS-X, Polk DSW 660*2, Polk RTi A7*2, Pol Csi A6, Polk RtiA5*2, Polk Tsi300*2, Polk TSX 220B *2, Polk OWM 3*2, Zappiti-4kHDROne, Oppo UDP-203, XboxOneX, PS4, Oppo BDP-83, Darbee DVP-500s, ZidooX10, Sony Bravia HX925 55"
post #701 of 706 Old 11-27-2019, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasphoenix View Post
The Atmos up mixing add 2 height channels regardless if you have a 7.2.4 setup. so 5.1 gets up mixed to 5.1.2 that's it, the rest of the channels are blank. If you turn it off then it's 5.1 with the rest blank. The output signal though is whatever you max speakers are set to. So you can't upmix in receiver unless you set it to Dolby or Dts 5.1. Lpcm has a similar problem with blank channels on 5.1 tracks as there is no up mixing to 7.1.

No, I know how the new upmixing feature works and how Atmos output works outside of the upmixing setting for both Atmos and non-Atmos titles. My question was if Borderlands 3 counts as an Atmos enabled title since it has the Spatial Sound option. Meaning if you enable spatial sound in BL3 and have Atmos bitstreaming turned on in the Xbox menu, will true immersive sound be fed to the height speakers, like if you were playing COD MW? Or is it still best for this title, like all other non-Atmos titles, to feed your receiver a 5.1 signal (such as uncompressed PCM) and let it handle the upmixing?

Also, at least for the receivers I use, a 5.1 LPCM signal can be upmixed to 5.1.4 using DSU (meaning you don't have to use just Dolby or DTS output).
post #702 of 706 Old 11-27-2019, 09:51 AM

Got the new Dolby app. It works as I had speculated:

1. If you already had Atmos-upmixing (despite the lack of any system setting) while bitstream + Atmos was enabled, the toggle does not change the status quo.

2. It does, however, allow you to turn upmixing off without having to manually go into the system setting and changing from Atmos to PCM 5/7.1 - though you're still going through a similar workflow since you're manually selecting options outside of a game or app.

If you turn it off while midgame, you'll notice the silence from the height speakers right away. I'm prob missing something obvious as to whether this is a great benefit.

3. I wonder if this can improve Atmos upmixing. I haven't had the time to check that out.
post #703 of 706 Old 11-27-2019, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Question..

If I have a 7.1.2 atmoat setup, and turn on xbox atmos upmixong.. Will it up ox to all 7.1.2 channel?
Or just 5.1.2..

If it does the 5.1. 2, guess best to use pcm5. 1 and upmox in pre amp?

Are any games really 7. 1 to start with?

Thanks
post #704 of 706 Old 11-27-2019, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4061
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
No, I know how the new upmixing feature works and how Atmos output works outside of the upmixing setting for both Atmos and non-Atmos titles. My question was if Borderlands 3 counts as an Atmos enabled title since it has the Spatial Sound option. Meaning if you enable spatial sound in BL3 and have Atmos bitstreaming turned on in the Xbox menu, will true immersive sound be fed to the height speakers, like if you were playing COD MW? Or is it still best for this title, like all other non-Atmos titles, to feed your receiver a 5.1 signal (such as uncompressed PCM) and let it handle the upmixing?

As far as I know, Borderlands 3 only has the Spatial Sound option on the PC version.
post #705 of 706 Old 11-27-2019, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
As far as I know, Borderlands 3 only has the Spatial Sound option on the PC version.

Ahh. That would make sense
post #706 of 706 Old 11-27-2019, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by pg22 View Post
Got the new Dolby app. It works as I had speculated:

1. If you already had Atmos-upmixing (despite the lack of any system setting) while bitstream + Atmos was enabled, the toggle does not change the status quo.

2. It does, however, allow you to turn upmixing off without having to manually go into the system setting and changing from Atmos to PCM 5/7.1 - though you're still going through a similar workflow since you're manually selecting options outside of a game or app.

If you turn it off while midgame, you'll notice the silence from the height speakers right away. I'm prob missing something obvious as to whether this is a great benefit.

3. I wonder if this can improve Atmos upmixing. I haven't had the time to check that out.
Me too. I saw the Headphones version for free and I picked it too.
It seems it was just a trial for 30 days. Does anybody know if they will start charging me after the 30 days automatically?

For the updated app...Unfortunately it still doesn't work as advertised.

I opened the Atmos movies in MS Movies and TV...HUGE title: Atmos Enabled Movies, several of whichs I own: none make use of Atmos channels. Only the demos inside the Atmos app working great (games too).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page