Dolby Atmos for GAMING thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 434Likes

post #811 of 833 Old 04-27-2020, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
I'm pretty sure this is a Microsoft thing. My Windows 10 PC also seems to arbitrarily switch audio output from Dolby Atmos for Home Theater to 7.1 for no reason.
so odd...it never did this before..it worked for over year... guess ill have to switch it back every time i boot up...1st world problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 833 Old 04-27-2020, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhelliott2 View Post
Noob here... im getting the same problem you are... i just noticed over the weekend my Denon X3400H says "multichannel in" i check my xbox one x and i see that the audio output has changed to 7.1 compressed. i switch it back to bit-stream and dolby atmos. Everything works fine, watching 4k disc, playing gears4 atmos works. i turn off my system, then couple hours later i turn it on again to stream, or watch a 4k disc or play a game and its back to compressed 7.1!?!? before my AVR would switch automatically...wtf.
Blu Rays should work everytime.
Games are another story. I couldn't see AVR displaying/detecting Atmos. Before it was always Atmos, even for non Atmos content. Now, always Multich 7.1.4...

Last edited by asabrag; 04-27-2020 at 10:16 AM.
post #813 of 833 Old 04-27-2020, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asabrag View Post
Blu Rays should work everytime.
Games are another story. I couldn't see AVR displaying/detecting Atmos. Before it was always Atmos, even for non Atmos content. Now, always Multich 7.1.4...
yeah that is the odd thing, i popped in a 4k disc and it did not switch over...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #814 of 833 Old 04-27-2020, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
yeah that is the odd thing, i popped in a 4k disc and it did not switch over...
Do u have avtive Blu Ray Bitstream???
post #815 of 833 Old 04-27-2020, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asabrag View Post
Do u have avtive Blu Ray Bitstream???
Yes i do, then after i power off the xbox, it switches back to 7.1 compressed. so i switch it back to bitstream/atmos and everything works, its just before my xbox would always stay on bitstream and atmos & my AVR would reflect that.
post #816 of 833 Old 04-27-2020, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Noob here... im getting the same problem you are... i just noticed over the weekend my Denon X3400H says "multichannel in" i check my xbox one x and i see that the audio output has changed to 7.1 compressed. i switch it back to bit-stream and dolby atmos. Everything works fine, watching 4k disc, playing gears4 atmos works. i turn off my system, then couple hours later i turn it on again to stream, or watch a 4k disc or play a game and its back to compressed 7.1!?!? before my AVR would switch automatically...wtf.
Mine started doing this about 1 to 2 weeks ago.. thought it was just me.
post #817 of 833 Old 04-27-2020, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCableMan View Post
Mine started doing this about 1 to 2 weeks ago.. thought it was just me.
Well sorry to hear that but... makes me feel better knowing it's not just me and hopefully a fix will come soon from Microsoft.
post #818 of 833 Old 04-27-2020, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well sorry to hear that but... makes me feel better knowing it's not just me and hopefully a fix will come soon from Microsoft.
For me started months ago...I have no hopes already...
post #819 of 833 Old 05-01-2020, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Checked the Remaster of Modern Warfare 2 and it doesn't have Dolby Atmos....bummer but I also expected this as I read the game was finished 2 years ago. Would have been nice to have it incorporated into the audio engine.

Tried DSU and Neural X.... Neural x sucked as to much frontal sounds went up to. DSU was pleasant sounding though.

Got about 5 free minutes tonight so I loaded up CODMW 2 remastered again using the Xbox upmixer.....not bad at all. Actually preferred that over DSU the few nights before but I want to play around with each again to when I have some more time.
am2model3 likes this.

Last edited by TheCableMan; 05-04-2020 at 08:36 PM.
post #820 of 833 Old 05-10-2020, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
I'm pretty sure this is a Microsoft thing. My Windows 10 PC also seems to arbitrarily switch audio output from Dolby Atmos for Home Theater to 7.1 for no reason.
This is good news! Last time, I hated Dolby Atmos for Home Theatre as it will always stick to Dolby Atmos even if I am playing other non-Dolby let alone, Atmos content.

This time, the Dolby Atmos for Home Theatre has gotten smarter.

Whenever I am at my Desktop or I am playing any AAC based videos like Youtube videos, my AVR shows that it is receiving PCM which is great. Other than that, video content is the same as when I set Windows 10 to 7.1 PCM on Sound Settings. It can still pass through any bitstream including Dolby Atmos and DTS-X for 4K Movie playback. So no differences there between using PCM 7.1 output and DAfHT.

The difference however is that

1a) PCM allows me to send as high a bitrate as I want which I set in Advanced Settings to my AVR in this case, a Marantz. I set it to 24-bit 48,000Hz (Studio Quality) under advanced.
1b) In Dolby Atmos for Home Theatre, this option is not available. It seems to be sending 16-bit 48,000Hz if it follows the same pattern as how DAfHT does on Windows 10 last time as well. You can hear the difference though it is subtle and depending on how good your speakers are that they can pick up the difference in Audio quality going from 16-bit to 24-bit. I wouldn't want to downgrade my audio quality just because I am playing my usual content and not gaming.

2a) In PCM 7.1, Modern Warfare 2019 game doesn't send Dolby Atmos to the AVR. Just sends in 7.1 PCM. (Remember to set Audio to Studio Reference in the game)
2B) In Dolby Atmos for Home Theatre, Modern Warfare 2019 will send Dolby Atmos to the AVR.

3a) When PCM 7.1 is set in Sound Settings in Windows 10, not only can you increase the bitrate to what your AVR is capable of, but you won't suffer from the dreaded silence at the start of any video or music as a result of the AVR trying to handshake with the PC to determine what audio it is playing and then playing with the right codec. So there will be no Audio cutouts at the beginning of every content that you play.
3b) In Dolby Atmos for Home Theatre though, even with PCM 7.1, you will notice that any video/music that you play, the audio at the beginning will be cutout while the AVR is handshaking on which codec to run even though you are using PCM all the way from desktop to the video and this happens every time you play the next video or when you stop (instead of pause) and play the video again.

The differences in 1 and 3 is what made me kind of dislike using Dolby Atmos for Home Theatre still as a result of the audio cut outs when playing any sort of content even if they do not have any bitstreams. So I will stick to PCM 7.1 as I won't get those issues and the 4K contents can still send the Dolby and DTS Bitstreams including Atmos and DTS:X so I will save using Dolby Atmos for Home Theatre exclusively for gaming as that is the only time the games it won't automatically switch to bitstream while sound output is in PCM 7.1.
post #821 of 833 Old 05-15-2020, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Ori and the Will of the Wisps - I can confirm, that Atmos works now on the latest steam version too
DaverJ likes this.
post #822 of 833 Old 05-15-2020, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2054 Post(s)
Liked: 4234
Quote:
Originally Posted by endy66 View Post
Ori and the Will of the Wisps - I can confirm, that Atmos works now on the latest steam version too

Thanks, updated OP.
endy66 likes this.
post #823 of 833 Old 05-20-2020, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Microsoft has done a decent job getting its games (limited selection) to feature exclusive Dolby Atmos for xbox games.

I hope this will continue/increase for next gen xbox series x; but I get the feeling it may be not every title; but hopefully all AAA titles?

Sony's PS5 3d audio strategy seems to focus on 3D audio for headphones only at the moment; and they don't talk about supporting dolby atmos or dts x.

imagine this: xbox series x; features exclusive dolby atmos game release like now; but with more titles; but not every title. They add DTS:X support ; and the xbox upmixer continues Dolby Atmos--DSU & adds DTS:X--NeuralX as 5.1.2; hopefully that can upgrade to 5.1.4 or 7.1.4 or higher. (the xbox dts sound app has been notoriously delayed)

PS5 features 3d audio through headphones; and ignores Atmos DTS:X; and only outputs 5.1; 7.1 LPCM and standard dolby digital and dts yet again.

If both consoles default to 5.1, 7.1 lpcm; and standard dolby digital and dts yet again; that would be unfortunate for games. Would be nice if they would do DolbyTrueHD and DTS-HD for the standard outputs for game audio. They cost save to avoid paying the license and offer free LPCM instead.

Original Xbox did an amazing job nearly standardizing DolbyDigital5.1 for games back in 2001-2006; I was hoping they would do something similar with DolbyAtmos in recent years by making it more a standard feature for xbox games. DD5.1 xbox games were & are a huge exclusive back in the day.
post #824 of 833 Old 05-20-2020, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 1190
Quote:
Originally Posted by am2model3 View Post
If both consoles default to 5.1, 7.1 lpcm; and standard dolby digital and dts yet again; that would be unfortunate for games. Would be nice if they would do DolbyTrueHD and DTS-HD for the standard outputs for game audio. They cost save to avoid paying the license and offer free LPCM instead.
Dolby TrueHD Atmos is not needed for games. Dolby MAT Atmos already contains a base LPCM 7.1 layer so it's uncompressed. No need for a lossless compressed codec like TrueHD with the added encoding latency.

I'm no sure if DTS has a low latency LPCM mode.
DaverJ likes this.
post #825 of 833 Old 05-21-2020, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by avernar View Post
Dolby TrueHD Atmos is not needed for games. Dolby MAT Atmos already contains a base LPCM 7.1 layer so it's uncompressed. No need for a lossless compressed codec like TrueHD with the added encoding latency.

I'm no sure if DTS has a low latency LPCM mode.
Is it possible, then, for PS5 games to have native height audio channels without needing Atmos or DTS:X? I'm a bit confused on this point.

Thanks
post #826 of 833 Old 05-21-2020, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg22 View Post
Is it possible, then, for PS5 games to have native height audio channels without needing Atmos or DTS:X? I'm a bit confused on this point.
No. They will need to either output an Dolby MAT Atmos or DTS:X bitstream to make use of the height speakers. They have their own sound "chip" that will take care of 3D audio but so far they've only announced their virtual 3D system.

We're waiting for them to announce how they will output to a home theater system with real height/ceiling speakers. Even if they're handling their own processing they will still have to output at least one of those bitstream formats otherwise the AVR won't be able to decode it. It's quite possible they will only support LPCM 7.1 at most and rely on their virtual 3D which will really suck for us.
DaverJ likes this.
post #827 of 833 Old 05-22-2020, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Xbox One, Xbox One X: DD5.1, DTS5.1. 5ch 7ch LPCM. Dolby Atmos MAT for select games; DTSX support yet to come

PS4 DD5.1, DTS5.1 5ch 7ch LPCM no Atmos or DTSX

Xbox Series X: same as before, select DolbyAtmos MAT games, DTSX yet to come
PS5 same as before, no atmos or dtsX. 3D audio (binaural) supported through headphones. really Sony? at least PS5 is adding 4K UHD movie discs

Xbox can send audio signals with Dolby Atmos for non-atmos games as: upmixed 5.1.2 Dolby Surround (atmos upmix) While this is a decent feature, it limits the sound to 5.1.2. If you have a receiver, you will want to upmix the 5.1 or 7.1 signal yourself to take full advantage of all your speakers if you are .4 or .6 height channels.

PS4-5; so far will not send out upmixed audio signals.

So aside from playing the true Atmos games, a gamer is left to upmix the non-atmos signals with their receivers with DSU and NeuralX to 5.1.4 or 7.1.4 or 7.1.6, etc.

Lately i use 5.1 or 7.1 LPCM to send the uncompressed game audio to upmix.

Currently, for xbox and ps4, picking DolbyDigital or DTS is sending the standard 5.1 bitstream or optical signal; this is not DolbyTrueHD or DTS-HD 5ch/7ch audio you are used to from blu rays and 4Ks.

While true Atmos games on Xbox are truly something to play and hear, the audio experience can be amazing; DSU & NeuralX upmixers can do wonders with your base 5ch 7ch signals!

Ashame that Atmos and DTSX don't appear to be "standardized" for all games in next gen arena; maybe over time.
post #828 of 833 Old 05-22-2020, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi everyone! I'm new here, and this is my first message. I'm Spanish so, sorry for my lenguaje in advance.
I recently bought a xbox one x, and I have quite decent atmos set in my living room, all moved by a Denon x-6400h. Impressive spacial sound.

The thing is I notice that you need to have your xbox always with atmos sound if you want to be sure you play in atmos the games that actually were made in atmos. And that, it's a really bad thing. According to my test:

Atmos set ON:

-game with dolby Digital 5.1 original sound. Xbox do a kind of up mixing, but only in my from hight speakers, with no sound in rear high ones. CRAP
- games with atmos original sound. Sound AMAIZING. Its used as it should. Sound is coming above you when it should.

Atmos Off, dolby Digital On. (+ dolby sourround set in AVR) :

- Games with dolby Digital 5.1 original sound, great improve over just 5.1, mainly in ambience sound (wind, trees in the forest, rain, storms....), the inmersiones is great, the problems are the same as in film with 5.1., a lot of sounds that shouldn't be over you, they are. However, I prefer that over normal 5.1
-games with atmos original sound. Avr thinks they are 5.1 so you lose the perfect 3d sound.

In that point you have to look for info aboyt the games you 1ant to play, so you need to know in advance if the game is in atmos. And developers don't say it anywhere in the game.

Who was the genius behind this stupid idea? Shouldn't the xbox change sound automatically between atmos and dolby Digital 5.1 by itself?

Btw: rise of tomb raider was update to atmos, however this is not true.
I have to say I only play 30m for now, but I notice at the begining, during the wind storm:

If I set dolby Digital in my xbox, I get sound in all by eigh speakers thanks to my avr and dolby sourround.

If I set dolby atmos in my xbox, I don't get any wind sound over my head, speakers are mute.

Why?? It's simple. They made a pach, making a atmos container for the sound. But they didn't actually create atmos sound. So when xbox want to do the upmix(for the frontal eigh speakers) what it does with all 5.1 Games, it can't, becouse xbox read it as atmos sound, but the thing is that it hasn't got any sound over you. WHY THEY DID THAT??
am2model3 likes this.
post #829 of 833 Old 05-22-2020, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ashame that Atmos and DTSX don't appear to be "standardized" for all games in next gen arena; maybe over time.
There is a standard for Windows/Xbox: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win.../spatial-sound

The game devs just have to make use of it. Then they can output to Dolby Atmos HDMI, Dolby Atmos for Headphones and Windows Sonic for Headphones targets. Eventually DTS:X will be added in.

Hopefully the PS5 will have a similar system where the 3D output renderer can be chosen as well (Atmos, DTS:X, Tempest). But I wouldn't put it past Sony to only have Tempest for 3D audio.
am2model3 likes this.
post #830 of 833 Old 05-22-2020, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
It shouldn´t be a next gen thing. Atmos has been between us in games for a while, and I think that all AAA games should have tmos sound. I don´t get why a company spending millions of dollars in a new MUST have game, don´t try to make it ven more perfect getting this kind of sound (red dead redemtion 2, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare , control, DOOm eternal, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice(this one is amazing with headphoones though), Ori and the Will of the Wisps...).
am2model3 likes this.
post #831 of 833 Old 05-28-2020, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

That is my point in posting this; the limited # of xbox games via microsoft is really the only batch of "true" dolby atmos games. 10 or 20 titles.

On PC, the only atmos games are even fewer.

PS5 sounds like we will be stuck with 3D game audio for headphones, 7.1 LCPM for upmixing.

Xbox Series X should continue expanding on Atmos games for us, hopefully.

pradejonero: for non atmos games; xbox upmixes out 5.1.2 for dolby atmos on. unless you play true atmos xbox games; best to output as 5.1 LPCM or DD or DTS; then let your receiver do DSU or NeuralX; as you can attest; your receiver upmixer sounds way better! yes, the upmixers really do a pretty good job for us!

I agree, RiseTombRaider I think its Atmos sound is empty container; it sounds better if you upmix DSU NeuralX. SOTTR should have true Atmos output. Gears4,5 sound amazing!!
DaverJ likes this.
post #832 of 833 Old 05-28-2020, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlson275 View Post
I cant verify this, but when I used my onkyo 676, it said input was atmos and output was atmos.

Only now with my rz840 I'm having same issue where it now says input is multich pcm and out put is direct 5.1.4.

It doesnt sound the same. Yes atmos speakers put out sound, but it's not atmos encoded. I swapped receivers out and the audio difference is noticeable
Quote:
I suppose this tech is beyond my full understanding but what I do know is that my 696 that I bought a year ago clearly output atmos - it said my xbox was out putting atmos, my receiver accepted it and outputted atmos. However, the rz840 is now reading this as multich pcm, and outputting various fields like game-rock or game-rpg, or full mono, all channel etc. Theres no dolby surround, or Dolby digital, or dts, or atmos. It's very limiting and it doesnt sound remotely the same.

Entire sole purpose for my buying the rz840 over the nr696 was to get 5.1.4 over 5.1.2. So without it, this was a waste of money and thing is junk.
Quote:
I think this essentially confirms it. Hooked up my 696 and got atmos, see pic. Then switched back to my rz840 and its pcm.
Quote:
Contacted both onkyo and xbox and they both said all my settings are correct and pointing finger at the other. Awesome. I'm so angry right now. No one can help and tech support wont try. And now business I bought from wants to charge a restock fee for returning this POS.
Quote:
After 5 calls and hrs of tech support, the issue is actually with the xbox. I get atmos on my receiver perfectly fine from apple 4k tv and from my xbox via blu ray disc movie. Its streaming apps and games that do multich pcm.

Bottom line is to live with it cause no one could help. Cool. Spending lots of money on features that don't work. Love it.
Quote:
I've tried all the above. I watched tomb raider movie clip in dolby app and the display said multich pcm input and output was game-action 5.1.4 and the upfiring atmos speakers were playing audio. At chance of sounding crazy, they still didnt sound like atmos. I say that in the sense that I had 5.1.2 atmos for a year, had a lot of experience listening to it, and now I have 5.1.4. And what I'm hearing isn't atmos or if it is, it feels like it's horrible quality
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Neilson View Post
I still wonder why it would affect those Onkyo AVRs when the source device is an Xbox One but not an Apple TV 4K.
Sorry if you figured this out already, but I just updated the X-Box and the Atmos App and finally (at the end life of the X) I got:

Here would the the screen capture if Tapatalk wouldn't cap the amount of pics per month I can upload..
post #833 of 833 Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I wonder: for games on Xbox One that support Dolby Atmos, do they render audio differently when Atmos is enabled beyond simply playing sound through the height speakers? I'm asking because I have an Xbox One S, an AVR that supports Dolby Atmos, a 5.1 speaker system, and no games that support Dolby Atmos, though I have Xbox Game Pass Ultimate. I have an UHD Blu-ray movie that includes a Dolby Atmos sound track and that came in a combo pack that includes a 1080p Blu-ray of the same movie, and the 1080p disc includes a DTS HD-MA sound track instead of a Dolby Atmos sound track. I found one moment where the sound mix is slightly different on the UHD version, even though I still only have 5.1 speakers. A sound was placed differently on the UHD version.

TV: LG 47LW5700, AVR: Onkyo TX-NR787, speakers: DCM KX speakers:DCM KX-12 Series 2 (as front left and front right), DCM KX Center Series 2, DCM KX-6 Series 2 (as side surround left and right), sources: Xbox One S (with Kinect and Kinect for Windows adapter), Playstation 2 (fat model), Nintendo GameCube (model with digital AV output) with GameBoy Player, Panasonic VCR (PV-4661), PC: Microsoft Surface Pro (5th generation), phone: iPhone 7 Plus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page