Dolby Atmos for GAMING thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 224Likes

post #1 of 484 Old 12-11-2017, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1758 Post(s)
Liked: 4027
Dolby Atmos for GAMING thread

This is the thread to discuss Dolby Atmos as it relates to video games, both setup and gameplay -- subscribe! Please, no movie talk.

The thread to discuss Atmos for home theater (movies) is here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...r-version.html

NOTE: The current state of bitstreaming Atmos on Xbox One has Atmos mode being always-on, regardless of the source having Atmos or not. This results in empty height channels with no way to upmix non-Atmos material.

It is unknown how long Microsoft will keep this always-on state. For now, it is assumed this method will stay.

What games feature Dolby Atmos?
  • Assassins Creed Origins (Xbox)
  • Battlefield 1 (PC)
  • Crackdown 3 (Xbox) *currently without Atmos... bug?
  • Final Fantasy XV (Xbox)
  • For Honor (Xbox)
  • Forza Horizon 4 (Xbox)
  • Gears of War 4 (Xbox)
  • Metro Exodus (Xbox)
  • Overwatch (for headphones, PC)
  • Resident Evil 2 (Xbox and PC)
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox, X model only)
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider (Xbox, X model only?)
  • Star Wars: Battlefront (PC)
  • Super Lucky's Tale (Xbox)
  • Tom Clancy's The Division® 2 (Xbox and PC)

What is Dolby Atmos?
According to Dolby Laboratories: "A leap forward from surround sound, Dolby Atmos creates a full atmosphere of sound all around you in three-dimensional space, even overhead."

What game systems include Dolby Atmos?
Xbox One (original, S, and X models) and Windows 10 PC

What do I need to experience Dolby Atmos in my games?
  • An Xbox One or Windows 10 PC
  • A game that features Atmos (see above for a list)
  • The Dolby Access app installed, available here
  • Audio output of console/PC set to bitstream "Dolby Atmos for Home Theater" NOTE: optical output on Xbox is disabled with this setting.
  • Connection to an Atmos-enabled AVR receiver* (details), soundbar, or TV -- all via HDMI, or **headphones.
  • *If AVR, a 5.1/7.1 (or multi-subwoofer) speaker setup with front left and right channels that include either built-in or add-on upward firing effects channels reflecting off the front ceiling, or alternately front ceiling mounted speakers. This adds ".2" to the end of the setup prefix - for example, a 5.1.2 would indicate five main channels, one subwoofer, and two front height channels. Optional: rear channels with built-in or add-on upward firing effects channels reflecting off the rear ceiling, or alternately rear ceiling mounted speakers. This would add ".4" to the setup prefix, for example 7.2.4 would be seven main channels, two subwoofers, and four height channels.

What is Atmos upmixing (DSU or DTS: Neural X)?
(NOTE: this method is currently disabled while bitstreaming Atmos -- the AVR is now in Atmos mode for all sources, regardless of an Atmos mix or not)
Dolby Surround, informally "DSU" (Dolby Surround Upmixer), is Dolby's way of utilizing the height channels when playing back non-Atmos material, from stereo to 7.1, on an Atmos setup. This is sometimes referred to as "fake Atmos".

DTS Neural X, sometimes called DTS-X, does a similar height channel upmix with the same equipment. DTS is a competitor of Dolby.

Why does my AVR display "Dolby Surround" for non-Atmos games? I thought Dolby Surround was matrixed stereo. (NOTE: this method is also currently disabled while bitstreaming Atmos -- the AVR now shows Atmos for all sources, regardless of an Atmos mix or not)
See above, or the link below for more details:
https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...dolby-surround

**What about Dolby Atmos for Headphones?
Info coming soon.

Please reply any updates or clarifications needed for this OP - thanks!
Rieper, SuperFist, Movie78 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by DaverJ; 04-04-2019 at 09:30 AM. Reason: added Forza Horizon 4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 484 Old 12-11-2017, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I'm not getting atmos on battlefield 1 for Xbox one x.. all others games listed that I own gears of war assassin's Creed and rise of tomb raider are all getting atmos. Am I missing something

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
DaverJ likes this.
post #3 of 484 Old 12-11-2017, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophizee View Post
I'm not getting atmos on battlefield 1 for Xbox one x.. all others games listed that I own gears of war assassin's Creed and rise of tomb raider are all getting atmos. Am I missing something
Thanks for the correction, I believe that one is Atmos on PC. I'll update the OP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 484 Old 12-11-2017, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Any specific differences one can tell between the regular DTS soundtrack and the Atmos soundtrack on games such as Tomb Raider and Gears? I have both and 7.1.4 but haven't found the time to test myself!

65" 900E Tee Vee | Denon 6300H AVR | PSA MTM-210s | PSA MTM-210c | PSA MTM-110s | Canton 880 InCeilings | Rythmik FV25HP
post #5 of 484 Old 12-11-2017, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Can't wait to see what other titles will add ATMOS soundtracks. I was kinda bummed when playing Star Wars Battlefront 2 only to find it didn't include it. IF any game would benefit from ATMOS it would be a Star Wars game.

Can the OP list what his home theater is? What receiver/speakers you're using? Kinda curious...
javan robinson likes this.
post #6 of 484 Old 12-11-2017, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2262 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Battlefront on the PC has Atmos - it's stunning. In fact Dolby put it on their demo disc to show off your 5.1.4
DaverJ, ingramba and biga6761 like this.

DocACE911 on Steam, XBOX, PS4
"Kill Cancer or Die"
Custom Z9 Game Settings For SDR and HDR
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
Loving Wife and 4 year old Son who tolerate this expense!
post #7 of 484 Old 12-11-2017, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieper View Post
Can the OP list what his home theater is? What receiver/speakers you're using? Kinda curious...
OP here: I very recently put together a very modest, 5.1.2 system in a small room to replace using a soundbar and to upgrade to Atmos.

This was to be mainly for gaming, but also for multi-channel music, and the occasional movie or Netflix show. I went with ELAC Debut B6 speakers all around, plus the Debut A4 Dolby height speakers through a Denon AVR-X1300W using AudysseyXT. The only exception in the setup is the ELAC center channel turned out to be too heavy to mount on top of the TV, so I had to go with a much lighter Martin Logan Motion 8 center. The sub is a Martin Logan Dynamo 700w, borrowed from a stereo music setup and I'll replace it at some point.

The goal was bang for the buck gaming + music setup, and it's been a learning experience. To be honest, I'm currently satisfied everything as a 5.1 setup, but there's something wrong when Atmos is enabled. The height speakers don't seem to be reflecting off ceiling, so I'm not getting a good overhead sound. With Atmos enabled via Xbox One X, the sound-stage in games doesn't sound correct -- phasing and balance is off. If I change audio out on the XB1X to bitstream DTS instead, turning off Atmos, everything sounds great.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them!
Rieper likes this.

Last edited by DaverJ; 12-11-2017 at 07:06 PM.
post #8 of 484 Old 12-11-2017, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post
Battlefront on the PC has Atmos - it's stunning. In fact Dolby put it on their demo disc to show off your 5.1.4
Thanks, forgot that one! OP updated.
post #9 of 484 Old 12-11-2017, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
Thanks, forgot that one! OP updated.

Also

Titanfall 1 and 2 for PC
battlefield 1 for PC

"Kill Cancer or Die"
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
post #10 of 484 Old 12-11-2017, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Mass Effect™: Andromeda Deluxe Edition on the PC has Dolby ATMOS.
post #11 of 484 Old 12-11-2017, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by javan robinson View Post
Any specific differences one can tell between the regular DTS soundtrack and the Atmos soundtrack on games such as Tomb Raider and Gears? I have both and 7.1.4 but haven't found the time to test myself!
Gears of War 4 ATMOS sound is excellent. For the first two chapters, the immersive sound is low to medium but from ACT 1 Chapter 3 onwards the immersive sound is fantastic.
biga6761 likes this.
post #12 of 484 Old 12-11-2017, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Also

Titanfall 1 and 2 for PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by amdar View Post
Mass Effect™: Andromeda Deluxe Edition on the PC has Dolby ATMOS.
I can't find any links to support Atmos for Titanfall 1, 2, or Mass Effect Andromeda on PC. MEA is Dolby Vision on PC, but not finding Atmos mentioned anywhere.

Any ideas?
post #13 of 484 Old 12-11-2017, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Titanfall 2 clicks in Atmos. I think on the PC all the frostbite stuff works. All those games use the same engine. Shame the Titanfall 4k Xbox X does not have it

"Kill Cancer or Die"
post #14 of 484 Old 12-12-2017, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
The goal was bang for the buck gaming + music setup, and it's been a learning experience. To be honest, I'm currently satisfied everything as a 5.1 setup, but there's something wrong when Atmos is enabled. The height speakers don't seem to be reflecting off ceiling, so I'm not getting a good overhead sound. With Atmos enabled via Xbox One X, the sound-stage in games doesn't sound correct -- phasing and balance is off. If I change audio out on the XB1X to bitstream DTS instead, turning off Atmos, everything sounds great.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them!
I tried using speakers in this setup, but didn't get any noticeable "bounced" sound, no matter how I positioned them. I set up speakers on the front wall just below the ceiling, and my front stage sounded a bit taller but didn't really do much for me either. I then mounted them on the ceiling and FINALLY I am happy with them! I put on the Insects demo and played the first demo video from the Dolby app, and they put a smile on my face! Sound all around!

Of course, those two demos are the only time I have ever noticed any overhead sound. I've played a few hours of tomb raider - never noticed the overheads. Watched Guardians of the Galaxy v2 - never noticed the overheads. Soon I'll try out GOW4 and see what that's like, but I don't have many Atmos sources and the few I do don't seem to have much or any overhead sound. The demos that show off overheads are the only times I've noticed it. Needless to say, I've been disappointed with Atmos so far.
DaverJ likes this.

Samsung KS8000, Denon AVR-X3300W, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K bluray player, Himedia Q5 Pro android box
post #15 of 484 Old 12-12-2017, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf7002 View Post
The demos that show off overheads are the only times I've noticed it. Needless to say, I've been disappointed with Atmos so far.
Thanks for posting, it's good to hear it's not just me.

I messed with positioning the Dolby upfiring speakers last night, and got them to sound like they are higher based on white noise from the AVR. And I agree, the Dolby demos and Insects can have a very nice, dome-like soundfield. But I just played Gears 4 in Atmos, which everyone seems to rave about -- the soundfield didn't sound as a good as when I set bitstream to DTS (non-Atmos). It sounds great in DTS, btw.

So I dunno if there's something wrong with our setups, expectations, or possibly the tech is still in the early stages. I guess I'll have to mess with positioning and levels some more.

Last edited by DaverJ; 12-12-2017 at 11:23 AM.
post #16 of 484 Old 12-12-2017, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I messed with positioning the Dolby upfiring speakers last night, and got them to sound like they are higher based on white noise from the AVR. And I agree, the Dolby demos and Insects can have a very nice, dome-like soundfield. But I just played Gears 4 in Atmos, which everyone seems to rave about -- the soundfield didn't sound as a good as when I set bitstream to DTS (non-Atmos). It sounds great in DTS, btw.
I haven't heard Atmos outside of my home setup, so I don't even have anything to compare it to. When I play demos, I hear stuff overhead. But that's with material that is designed to show off the overhead speakers. So I know they work, I can hear them. The couple movies that I have in Atmos aren't movies that seem to show off a lot of overheads, and with Rise of the Tomb Raider there's not much sound above me but then there's been nothing in the game where I'm at that would need sound overhead anyway. I plan on playing some GOW4 again soon, with helicopters and planes flying overhead it should sound pretty cool. But mostly Atmos has been very underwhelming.
Molon_Labe likes this.

Samsung KS8000, Denon AVR-X3300W, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K bluray player, Himedia Q5 Pro android box
post #17 of 484 Old 12-12-2017, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Part of it too is that my Denon defaults to Dolby Atmos upmixing - the fake Dolby Atmos works amazingly well in games like Titanfall.

In star wars battlefield the Atmos is amazing. Hearing a tie fighter zoom overhead is pretty slick
Montucky likes this.

"Kill Cancer or Die"
post #18 of 484 Old 12-13-2017, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Part of it too is that my Denon defaults to Dolby Atmos upmixing - the fake Dolby Atmos works amazingly well in games like Titanfall.

In star wars battlefield the Atmos is amazing. Hearing a tie fighter zoom overhead is pretty slick
My Denon does that too - I wish I could turn it off but DSU is applied when I set the X to Atmos and the game isn't an Atmos game.. I don't feel like changing the xbox back and forth between 5.1 uncompressed and Atmos tho depending on what game I'm playing, so I just leave it on Atmos.

I haven't played Titanfall since I moved my Atmos speakers to the ceiling. I'll have to try it out. I haven't been happy with the upmixing tho. I feel like I lose a lot of directionality and staging, without ever hearing anything overhead. It always sounds better and more involving when I turn upmixing off. I've tried both DSU and DTS:X.
DaverJ likes this.

post #19 of 484 Old 12-13-2017, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:

Man, I want to play the new Star Wars so bad, but I don't want to give me money to the EA scum! Woe is me! ahh

But if the Atmos sound effects are half as dope as you say they are, then...I might have to pick it up!

65" 900E Tee Vee | Denon 6300H AVR | PSA MTM-210s | PSA MTM-210c | PSA MTM-110s | Canton 880 InCeilings | Rythmik FV25HP
post #20 of 484 Old 12-13-2017, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Updated the OP to include info on Atmos upmixing. Please let me know if the info is confusing or incorrect.
post #21 of 484 Old 12-17-2017, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
My Denon does that too - I wish I could turn it off but DSU is applied when I set the X to Atmos and the game isn't an Atmos game.. I don't feel like changing the xbox back and forth between 5.1 uncompressed and Atmos tho depending on what game I'm playing, so I just leave it on Atmos.

I haven't played Titanfall since I moved my Atmos speakers to the ceiling. I'll have to try it out. I haven't been happy with the upmixing tho. I feel like I lose a lot of directionality and staging, without ever hearing anything overhead. It always sounds better and more involving when I turn upmixing off. I've tried both DSU and DTS:X.
I don't have Xbox. But If you set Xbox audio settings to bitstream Atmos. What signal does your receiver show as incoming when you play a non-Atmos game?
post #22 of 484 Old 12-17-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Updated the OP to include info on Atmos upmixing. Please let me know if the info is confusing or incorrect.
I've never heard about DSU. The only up mixers with height channels I know of are Dolby Surround and DTS Neural X.
post #23 of 484 Old 12-17-2017, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolbyVision View Post
I don't have Xbox. But If you set Xbox audio settings to bitstream Atmos. What signal does your receiver show as incoming when you play a non-Atmos game?

Pcm

"Kill Cancer or Die"
post #24 of 484 Old 12-17-2017, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Dunno. I am a level 9.49 Titan pilot and 13.5 legion - the DSU seems to preserve those cues to let me hear the footsteps and blast

"Kill Cancer or Die"
post #25 of 484 Old 12-17-2017, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've never heard about DSU. The only up mixers with height channels I know of are Dolby Surround and DTS Neural X.

Dsu is Dolby equal of neural but does not suck. The neural x way ovemphasis on the center and the bass is just missing (I have an 18" PSA vented 1200 watt sub). It's shocking people comment that the bass is lacking - it's destroyed

DSU is great. Seems to add a nice sense of heigh and larger front sound stage.

"Kill Cancer or Die"
post #26 of 484 Old 12-18-2017, 12:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Someone said PCM but uh no it doesn't When when you set it for Atmos and it gets a non atmos audio, it the receiver shows Dolby Surround. To get it to show pcm again you have to go back into settigns and tell it you don't have atmos.

Anyway I came to thread to figure out why the hell the new star wars game isn't in Atmos.....what a joke.

Marantz 7702MKII/Outlaw 7140 65" 4k Samsung KS8000
i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/970's SLI 840 PRO SSD
Paradigm Studio v3 100/570/20's/470's/2200 Sub
post #27 of 484 Old 12-18-2017, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post
the receiver shows Dolby Surround.
Dolby Surround is not a signal, it's a sound mode of your receiver. It just shows that your receiver takes some signal and makes out of it Dolby Surround.
post #28 of 484 Old 12-18-2017, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey @DolbyVision - thanks for the suggestion. I updated the OP to refer to Dolby's upmixing as Dolby Surround -- it's proper name, while giving mention of "DSU", it's informal name. I think the term "Dolby Surround" is somewhat confusing because the term appears non-specific and might be confused with any of Dolby's many surround formats (Pro Logic, Dolby Digital, etc.), not identifying anything about the height channels.

Does that make more sense?
post #29 of 484 Old 12-18-2017, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When the Xbox One X is set to Bitstream Dolby Atmos for Home Theater, my Denon shows "Atmos" for Atmos contend, and "Dolby Surround" for non-Atmos content. I assume this means the receiver is upmixing non-Atmos content, correct?

Side note: for games I prefer bitstreaming DTS (without Neural X) instead of Dolby Atmos on my modest 5.1.2 setup. Demo material for Atmos sounds great, but I can't get games that include Atmos or upmixed non-Atmos games to sound as good as plain vanilla DTS. This probably has something to do with my setup, and I'm still trying to get the height speakers to do what I think they should for gaming.
post #30 of 484 Old 12-18-2017, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Dunno. I am a level 9.49 Titan pilot and 13.5 legion - the DSU seems to preserve those cues to let me hear the footsteps and blast
I haven't tried Titanfall with DSU since I mounted my speakers overhead but since I leave the Xbox set to Atmos any game that isn't Atmos ends up having DSU applied. I was too lazy to switch back and forth but I've been starting to do that since non-Atmos games sound so much better without DSU applied. It's very noticeable in some games. I'll give Titanfall a shot tho, maybe DSU works better with it.

Quote:
When the Xbox One X is set to Bitstream Dolby Atmos for Home Theater, my Denon shows "Atmos" for Atmos contend, and "Dolby Surround" for non-Atmos content. I assume this means the receiver is upmixing non-Atmos content, correct?

Side note: for games I prefer bitstreaming DTS (without Neural X) instead of Dolby Atmos on my modest 5.1.2 setup. Demo material for Atmos sounds great, but I can't get games that include Atmos or upmixed non-Atmos games to sound as good as plain vanilla DTS. This probably has something to do with my setup, and I'm still trying to get the height speakers to do what I think they should for gaming.
Correct, your AVR showing Dolby Suround means the AVR is upmixing non-Atmos content.

I haven't tried gaming in DTS. I'll give it a shot and listen for myself, because what the heck.

Last edited by Lonewolf7002; 12-18-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page