AVS Forum banner

Dolby Atmos for GAMING thread

332K views 3K replies 256 participants last post by  btanis20 
#1 · (Edited)
This is the thread to discuss Dolby Atmos as it relates to video games, both setup and gameplay -- subscribe! Please, no movie talk.

The thread to discuss Atmos for home theater (movies) is here:
The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version)

NOTE: The current state of bitstreaming Atmos on Xbox One and Series X/S has Atmos mode always-on, regardless of the source having Atmos or not (exceptions: playing video content via disc - DVD or Blu-ray, or non-game apps that support bitstream passthrough). This always-on setting will upmix non-Atmos games ala Dolby Surround with the height channels active. This is not the case with Atmos on PC.

What games feature Dolby Atmos?
  • Assassins Creed Origins (Xbox)
  • Battlefield 1 (PC)
  • Borderlands 3 (Xbox, PC)
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (Xbox, PC)
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019) (Xbox, PC)
  • Call Of Duty Vanguard (Xbox, PC)
  • Call of Duty: Warzone (Xbox, PC)
  • Crash Bandicoot 4: It’s About Time (Xbox, non-Dolby spacial audio triggers Atmos)
  • Cyberpunk 2077 (Xbox, PC)
  • Crackdown 3
  • Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition (Xbox)
  • Dirt 5 (Xbox, PC no apparent Atmos in PC version despite Dolby claim)
  • F1 2020
  • F1 2021
  • Fast & Furious Crossroads (Xbox)
  • Final Fantasy XV (Xbox, PC)
  • For Honor (Xbox)
  • Forza Horizon 4 (Xbox, PC)
  • Forza Horizon 5 (Xbox, PC)
  • Gears of War 4 (Xbox)
  • Gears 5 (Xbox, PC)
  • Grid (Xbox, PC)
  • Grid Legends (Xbox)
  • Grounded (Xbox, PC)
  • Halo Infinite (Xbox, PC)
  • Immortals Fenyx Rising (Xbox, PC)
  • Inertial Drift (Xbox, PC)
  • Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy (Xbox, PC)
  • Metro Exodus (Xbox, PC)
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator (Xbox, PC)
  • NFS Heat (Xbox, PC)
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps (Xbox, PC)
  • Overwatch (for headphones, Xbox, PC)
  • A Plague Tale: Requiem (Xbox, PC)
  • Resident Evil 2 (Xbox, PC)
  • Resident Evil 3 (Xbox, PC)
  • Resident Evil 7: Biohazard (Xbox, PC)
  • Resident Evil Village (Xbox, PC)
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox, X model only)
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PC, Xbox)
  • Star Wars: Battlefront (PC)
  • Super Lucky's Tale (Xbox, PC)
  • Tiny Tina's Wonderlands (Xbox, PC)
  • Tom Clancy's The Division® 2 (Xbox, PC)

What is Dolby Atmos?
According to Dolby Laboratories: "A leap forward from surround sound, Dolby Atmos creates a full atmosphere of sound all around you in three-dimensional space, even overhead."

What game systems include Dolby Atmos?
Xbox One (original, S and X models), Xbox Series X/S, and Windows 10 PC

What do I need to experience Dolby Atmos in my games?

• An Xbox One (including X and S models), Series X/S, or Windows 10 PC
  • A game that features Atmos (see above for a list)
  • The Dolby Access app installed, available here
  • Audio output of console/PC set to bitstream "Dolby Atmos for Home Theater" NOTE: optical output on Xbox is disabled with this setting.
  • Connection to an Atmos-enabled AVR receiver* (details), soundbar, or TV -- all via HDMI, or **headphones.
  • *For AVR connection, a 5.1/7.1 (or multi-subwoofer) speaker setup with front left and right channels that include either built-in or add-on upward firing effects channels reflecting off the front ceiling, or alternately front ceiling mounted speakers. This adds ".2" to the end of the setup prefix - for example, a 5.1.2 would indicate five main channels, one subwoofer, and two front height channels. Optional: rear channels with built-in or add-on upward firing effects channels reflecting off the rear ceiling, or alternately rear ceiling mounted speakers. This would add ".4" to the setup prefix, for example 7.2.4 would be seven main channels, two subwoofers, and four height channels.
What is Atmos upmixing (DSU or DTS: Neural X)?
Dolby Surround, informally "DSU" (Dolby Surround Upmixer), is Dolby's way of utilizing the height channels when playing back non-Atmos material, from stereo to 7.1, on an Atmos setup. This is sometimes referred to as "fake Atmos". Xbox will apply Dolby Surround upmixing to the front height channels (5.1.2 or 7.1.2) internally for non-Atmos games when the Xbox is bitstreaming Atmos. If four height channel upmixing is desired (5.1.4 or 7.1.4), turn off bitstreaming Atmos from the Xbox audio settings (uncompressed 5 or 7 channels, bitstream Dolby Digital or DTS) and apply upmixing (Dolby Surround or DTS: Neural X) via the AVR.

DTS Neural X, sometimes called DTS-X, does a similar height channel upmix with the same equipment. This upmix can be applied via the AVR when the Xbox is not bitstreaming Atmos. DTS is a competitor of Dolby.

Why does my AVR display "Atmos" all the time while playing games when the Xbox is set to bitstream Atmos, even for games that don't have an Atmos mix?
The current state of bitstreaming Atmos puts the Xbox in Atmos mode for all games, regardless of the mix.* If the game has an Atmos mix (see list above), all the Atmos channels will pass through unaffected. If the game doesn't have an Atmos mix, the Xbox will upmix the height channels, ala "Dolby Surround".

*The exception to Atmos always-on mode is during playback of video content from a DVD or Blu-ray disc, which uses a different bitstreaming mode via a separate Xbox setting.

**What about Dolby Atmos for Headphones?
Info for a separate thread.

Please reply any updates or clarifications needed for this OP - thanks!

See less See more
#4 ·
Any specific differences one can tell between the regular DTS soundtrack and the Atmos soundtrack on games such as Tomb Raider and Gears? I have both and 7.1.4 but haven't found the time to test myself!

Reactions: Mertrini821
#5 ·
Can't wait to see what other titles will add ATMOS soundtracks. I was kinda bummed when playing Star Wars Battlefront 2 only to find it didn't include it. IF any game would benefit from ATMOS it would be a Star Wars game.

Can the OP list what his home theater is? What receiver/speakers you're using? Kinda curious... :confused:

#7 · (Edited)
Can the OP list what his home theater is? What receiver/speakers you're using? Kinda curious... :confused:
OP here: I very recently put together a very modest, 5.1.2 system in a small room to replace using a soundbar and to upgrade to Atmos.

This was to be mainly for gaming, but also for multi-channel music, and the occasional movie or Netflix show. I went with ELAC Debut B6 speakers all around, plus the Debut A4 Dolby height speakers through a Denon AVR-X1300W using AudysseyXT. The only exception in the setup is the ELAC center channel turned out to be too heavy to mount on top of the TV, so I had to go with a much lighter Martin Logan Motion 8 center. The sub is a Martin Logan Dynamo 700w, borrowed from a stereo music setup and I'll replace it at some point.

The goal was bang for the buck gaming + music setup, and it's been a learning experience. To be honest, I'm currently satisfied everything as a 5.1 setup, but there's something wrong when Atmos is enabled. The height speakers don't seem to be reflecting off ceiling, so I'm not getting a good overhead sound. With Atmos enabled via Xbox One X, the sound-stage in games doesn't sound correct -- phasing and balance is off. If I change audio out on the XB1X to bitstream DTS instead, turning off Atmos, everything sounds great.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them!

#13 ·
Titanfall 2 clicks in Atmos. I think on the PC all the frostbite stuff works. All those games use the same engine. Shame the Titanfall 4k Xbox X does not have it

#17 ·
Part of it too is that my Denon defaults to Dolby Atmos upmixing - the fake Dolby Atmos works amazingly well in games like Titanfall.

In star wars battlefield the Atmos is amazing. Hearing a tie fighter zoom overhead is pretty slick

#18 ·
My Denon does that too - I wish I could turn it off but DSU is applied when I set the X to Atmos and the game isn't an Atmos game.. I don't feel like changing the xbox back and forth between 5.1 uncompressed and Atmos tho depending on what game I'm playing, so I just leave it on Atmos.

I haven't played Titanfall since I moved my Atmos speakers to the ceiling. I'll have to try it out. I haven't been happy with the upmixing tho. I feel like I lose a lot of directionality and staging, without ever hearing anything overhead. It always sounds better and more involving when I turn upmixing off. I've tried both DSU and DTS:X.

Reactions: DaverJ
#35 ·
Yep, M$ implementation of Atmos or surround in general has always sucked to be honest. I think the only time I've not had drop outs is when its in pure pcm multichannel out. I had Onkyo that did it and now using Marantz MKII 7702

#32 ·
Those with Denon 2016 X-series AVRs... there was a recent firmware update. My X1300's firmware updated yesterday, and now ATMOS (source and Dolby Surround upmixed) in games sounds has improved greatly... it now sounds as I expected it to.

If you own a Denon that received updated firmware recently, please test Atmos and non-Atmos upmixed games, and please let us know if you notice any difference.

#43 ·
Help and Advice

Game: Gears of War 4 ( PC Only ) | SW Battlefront 1
GPU - AMD R9 200 Series ( 280x)
AVR - Denon AVR X4300 7.1.4

Testimony - Demos are amazing. I have about 20 of them. (Look online and put on your pirate hat)
Movies are amazing as well. Some are better than others at demonstrating height. ( I have not watched that many )

AVR does not show ATMOS on receiver when playing Gears of War.
SW Battlefront 1 works for atmos no matter what I set my PC to ( Stereo, 4.1, 5.1 7.1, Atmos ) I just have to set it to Atmos inside the game.

For Gears I only get Surround when I set PC to surround modes 5.1 and 7.1, if set to Atmos I get stereo, with no Subwoofer. When I do that I can choose to do DSU or Nueral X or something else.

I dont know how to set my GPU to bit stream or PC to bit stream in game or outside of game.

Also, I looked online extensively to verify that Atmos is available for Gears on PC and found contrary remarks.

#60 ·
#53 ·
Yep it's all messed up. It's why I gave up and got an Xbox X. Atmos is still broken (5.1.4 the standard layout maps wrong , height rear is mixed with side) and HDR is fubar still.

Beyond frustrating give my 1080/i7

It's become my Oculus box - which is fine.

Atmos maps correctly on the Xbox

#58 ·
I have an Xbox One X with four ceiling bounce speakers fed by a Marantz SR7010. Other Atmos games such as Gears 4, Super Lucky’s Tale, and Tomb Raider output Atmos perfectly but Assassin’s Creed Origins is outputting PCM even though Atmos is printed on the disk and box. What am I doing wrong?

On a side note, the best Atmos game I’ve heard so far. Super Lucky’s Tale. Yes, the overhead effects are better mixed and more obvious than every other game I’ve experienced.

#59 ·
I have an Xbox One X with four ceiling bounce speakers fed by a Marantz SR7010. Other Atmos games such as Gears 4, Super Lucky’s Tale, and Tomb Raider output Atmos perfectly but Assassin’s Creed Origins is outputting PCM even though Atmos is printed on the disk and box. What am I doing wrong?

On a side note, the best Atmos game I’ve heard so far. Super Lucky’s Tale. Yes, the overhead effects are better mixed and more obvious than every other game I’ve experienced.
Odd... if your AVR is set for Atmos, and your Xbox One X is set to bitstream "Atmos for Home Theater", then your AVR should be showing either "Dolby Atmos" for sources that have Atmos, or Dolby Surround for anything that's not Atmos. The later is Dolby that's upmixed for the height channels.

Double-check any sound modes you might have set on your AVR and make sure you are the on the correct Dolby sound mode. Assassin's Creed Origins has Atmos on this console, and is working fine on my system.

#65 · (Edited)
Neural X + Height Speakers for the win

So for about a month now, I have been religiously using Dolby Surround for upmixing purposes with Top Front and Top Rear Speakers.
Yesterday I set up the top rear and the top front as top front height and top rear height. I physically moved the speakers. Set up the levels and the distance from my listening position.
I played Tomb Raider on PC. Set the PC on 7.1 and did up conversion with Neural X. The sound positioning of the bad guys was so precise. Scary accurate. My theater room became alive for the first time with
video games. I stayed up an extra two hours playing yesterday Sunday, I noticed so much more detail yesterday than ever before, playing the same game. Yes the height speakers were really helping out.

Other Note:
edited 1/8/18
I noticed that when I set up my system as Dolby Atmos on Windows 10 it seems like the sub is off when the data going to the receiver is PCM.

#141 ·
Neural X + Height Speakers for the win

So for about a month now, I have been religiously using Dolby Surround for upmixing purposes with Top Front and Top Rear Speakers.
Yesterday I set up the top rear and the top front as top front height and top rear height. I physically moved the speakers. Set up the levels and the distance from my listening position.
I played Tomb Raider on PC. Set the PC on 7.1 and did up conversion with Neural X. The sound positioning of the bad guys was so precise. Scary accurate. My theater room became alive for the first time with
video games. I stayed up an extra two hours playing yesterday Sunday, I noticed so much more detail yesterday than ever before, playing the same game. Yes the height speakers were really helping out.

YES! TombRaider sounds amazing with DolbySurround or NeuralX!! Its incredible what the upmixers can do! = )

#66 ·
[emoji848] my take and others was that with neural X THE boom in the bass lost! Also the center seems way too prominent decreasing the sound stage.

I too have front height and rear height. Maybe I should set as top down and re run audessey xt32

Which recurved do you have? Using a Denon x4200

#67 ·
Not sure if this is the right place or not, so sorry if I'm out of line. However, I'm looking to upgrade my home theater system and include Atmos now that the Xbox One S I have will support it. My setup would likely be:
Marantz 6011 receiver
Elac F5 Towers
Elac B5 bookshelf
Elac A4 Atmos enabled speakers
Elac EQ10 sub

I would have DirecTV feeding into the Xbox One S and then into the receiver. I would also have a PS3 feeding into the receiver. The receiver would then feed into a Vizio M Series 70 inch TV. This is all straightforward enough, but I have one last hangup.

I have a set of Turtle Beach Elite 800x headphones that I use for gaming at night so as not to make as much noise when my wife is asleep. However, it looks like if I enable Atmos on the Xbox it will feed that through HDMI to the receiver fine but then it will shut off the optical out from the Xbox? Am I understanding that correctly? The optical out is what powers my headphones. Is there a workaround for that?

#68 ·
I would have DirecTV feeding into the Xbox One S and then into the receiver. I would also have a PS3 feeding into the receiver. The receiver would then feed into a Vizio M Series 70 inch TV. This is all straightforward enough, but I have one last hangup.
Not sure why there is anything going into XBOX aside from 120V AC.

Direct TV Goes to Receiver On HDMI Cable Port ( just for easy naming )
XBOX X goes to HDMI Game
PS3 Could go to HDMI Blu Ray player

The HDMI Main Output goes to the TV

Your other question. I do know that the Xbox will not output to two sources at the same time and I am 100% it will not output Atmos through Optical/Toslink Cable. As a result it will be either or. You will be able to get Dolby Atmos for Headphones or Windows Sonic. I am not sure if this is through Optical Cable or through the controller only.

#77 ·
Good News and Bad News

When the game was out like 1.5 years ago the game was all that and a bag of chips. Now...

Bad News
Sorry for what I am about to say, Star Wars Battlefront on PC was dead, meaning super low user base 4 months in, do to a super poor matchmaking system.
The game does not have enough single player content to warrant buying it. Most I would spend is $5 USD.

Maybe get Origin Access and play it for free, or a trial if they have one.

Good News

You can get Battle Field 1 trial for free, which also has Atmos. I played this last night with 7.1.4 and I think it is better than Battlefront in terms of surround sound.
Battlefront 2 did not come with Atmos.

Excel Sheet Update:
I have not been able to confirm that Super Lucky's Tale is Atmos enabled on PC. I have tweeted the team and dropped a customer support question. That was last Friday and still nothing...
I wish there was a Dolby Atmos.com page that did what the excel is trying to do. They would know since the game studios have to pay a license fee.

#75 ·
Over watch is atmos on pc. It was in an Xbox announcement it was getting atmos but not sure when - it’s getting a 4k patch so maybe same time

#126 ·