Xbox One X Intermittent HDMI Signal Loss with HDR - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Oil of OLED
  • 1 Post By pbenson1167

post #1 of 20 Old 01-11-2018, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Xbox One X Intermittent HDMI Signal Loss with HDR

Hi there,

I posted this in the official XB1X thread but figured I'd may as well make a new thread to see if anyone on here has encountered the same issue or has any input:

New user here, and an owner of the XB1X since launch paired with an LG B7. Just wanted to get some input from some of you who have the console and maybe the same TV on whether or not you've encountered any issues with the HDMI signal dropping randomly. Haven't read through the whole thread yet so I'm not sure if anything like this has been mentioned. The issue is as follows:

The screen will go black and suddenly display some greyish static/noise for a few seconds and then revert to its screensaver page as though there's no HDMI signal detected. It doesn't seem to come back on its own. Unplugging the HDMI cable and replugging it solves the issue, as does switching off HDMI deep colour in the settings and switching it back on again. From what I can tell so far, the issue seems isolated to HDR content (specifically HDR gaming. I haven't tried any movies yet), and sometimes occurs when performing the actual switch from SDR to HDR when a game boots up, but other times randomly during HDR gameplay.

I've tried: power cycling the console, console reset, swapping HDMI cables with PS4 Pro, switching TV inputs, and fiddling with various settings like colour depth and "Allow YCC 4:2:2", but I can't seem to shake the issue. Right now I'm trialing having the "Allow YCC 4:2:2" unchecked again to see if it has any effect.

Has anyone had issues like this on here? I've scoured a few forums/reddit and it does seem to be a thing for some people, but I'm having a tough time determining whether this is faulty hardware, a software issue, or maybe some sort of bandwidth issue related to the HDMI cable or something (I've been using the one packaged with the machine). The fact that it seems to exclusively occur during 4K/HDR content made me think it might've been something like the latter. The fact that toggling Deep Colour setting makes the video signal come back leads me to believe there's some freaky handshake issue occurring with the X and the B7 of some kind. I'm enjoying the console a great deal so I'm hoping I can figure this out, ideally without having to ship the thing in and have MS crack it open so they can likely send me a note that says there's nothing wrong with it (it's a Scorpio Edition, as well).

Any thoughts are much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-12-2018, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
Hi there,

I posted this in the official XB1X thread but figured I'd may as well make a new thread to see if anyone on here has encountered the same issue or has any input:

New user here, and an owner of the XB1X since launch paired with an LG B7. Just wanted to get some input from some of you who have the console and maybe the same TV on whether or not you've encountered any issues with the HDMI signal dropping randomly. Haven't read through the whole thread yet so I'm not sure if anything like this has been mentioned. The issue is as follows:

The screen will go black and suddenly display some greyish static/noise for a few seconds and then revert to its screensaver page as though there's no HDMI signal detected. It doesn't seem to come back on its own. Unplugging the HDMI cable and replugging it solves the issue, as does switching off HDMI deep colour in the settings and switching it back on again. From what I can tell so far, the issue seems isolated to HDR content (specifically HDR gaming. I haven't tried any movies yet), and sometimes occurs when performing the actual switch from SDR to HDR when a game boots up, but other times randomly during HDR gameplay.

I've tried: power cycling the console, console reset, swapping HDMI cables with PS4 Pro, switching TV inputs, and fiddling with various settings like colour depth and "Allow YCC 4:2:2", but I can't seem to shake the issue. Right now I'm trialing having the "Allow YCC 4:2:2" unchecked again to see if it has any effect.

Has anyone had issues like this on here? I've scoured a few forums/reddit and it does seem to be a thing for some people, but I'm having a tough time determining whether this is faulty hardware, a software issue, or maybe some sort of bandwidth issue related to the HDMI cable or something (I've been using the one packaged with the machine). The fact that it seems to exclusively occur during 4K/HDR content made me think it might've been something like the latter. The fact that toggling Deep Colour setting makes the video signal come back leads me to believe there's some freaky handshake issue occurring with the X and the B7 of some kind. I'm enjoying the console a great deal so I'm hoping I can figure this out, ideally without having to ship the thing in and have MS crack it open so they can likely send me a note that says there's nothing wrong with it (it's a Scorpio Edition, as well).

I've seen this issue on my One X as well, although in my case I think it's the cable that's causing the issue. It's hard to say exactly because every other console works ok over the connection fine, and dropping the resolution doesn't seem to help on the One X.

My website on game room related stuff like pinball, bubble hockey, foosball, home theater, etc.
http://gameroominfo.com/
post #3 of 20 Old 01-12-2018, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 509
LG OLED seems to be very sensitive to HDMI cable quality. I used to have the same exact issue with my 1st gen LG OLED TV (1080p) and swapped many HDMI cables until I finally used a high quality 18Gbps cable (I know I don't need it for 1080p) and the problem never came back. All my HDMI cables are from Monoprice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 01-12-2018, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 3
The only thing that's made me doubt that it might be the cables is having never really experienced anything similar on the PS4 Pro (or Nintendo Switch if I recall correctly) on the same TV. As mentioned I'd also tried the Pro's HDMI cable with the X and it seemed to do the same thing. It isn't major frequent so it's hard to pin down...maybe once every day or so? I have an Xbox One S in another room so maybe I'll try that cable, otherwise I'll perhaps try to order one from somewhere and see if it makes any difference.
post #5 of 20 Old 01-12-2018, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 509
The other devices can't really pump out real [email protected] stuff. So, they use less bandwidth than X.
post #6 of 20 Old 01-12-2018, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Spend the 10 bucks if for no other reason to rule out that it isn't a cable issue

Quote:
The only thing that's made me doubt that it might be the cables is having never really experienced anything similar on the PS4 Pro (or Nintendo Switch if I recall correctly) on the same TV. As mentioned I'd also tried the Pro's HDMI cable with the X and it seemed to do the same thing. It isn't major frequent so it's hard to pin down...maybe once every day or so? I have an Xbox One S in another room so maybe I'll try that cable, otherwise I'll perhaps try to order one from somewhere and see if it makes any difference.
post #7 of 20 Old 01-13-2018, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Xbox One X Intermittent HDMI Signal Loss with HDR

I had the similar issue with bravia 800 but it goes a step further to say it isn't hdcp 2.2 compatible then after a few seconds it picks up the signal and starts playing. So far I've only noticed this with 4k hdr video on Amazon.. Only once when I was playing a game in 4k and hdr. Never had issue through TV app.. Only on xone x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 20 Old 02-27-2018, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I am having this problem. I have to turn my K950 soundbar on and off to get it the video to come back. Seems like all we can do is try cables? I'll go with the 18gb monoprice suggestion.

LG B7 65", PS4 Pro, Switch, Roku Premiere+, Samsung K8500, Sennheiser RS185
Denon X4400H, RSL CG23+CG3, Onkyo SKH-410, Emotiva BasX8 (5.1.4)
post #9 of 20 Old 02-27-2018, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Yep — it was the samsung cable. This problem = cables.
DaverJ likes this.

LG B7 65", PS4 Pro, Switch, Roku Premiere+, Samsung K8500, Sennheiser RS185
Denon X4400H, RSL CG23+CG3, Onkyo SKH-410, Emotiva BasX8 (5.1.4)
post #10 of 20 Old 06-27-2018, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What Samsung cable?
I've changed the HDMI cable 3 times and same result.

OLED65C7P
Onkyo TX-NR676
LG BH200 Super Blu Player
post #11 of 20 Old 07-05-2018, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I got an Xbox One X about 10 days ago and have experienced this exact issue three times on my LG OLED55C7P. I replaced the included HDMI cable with a Monoprice certified premium high speed cable a few days ago and haven't seen the issue since. I'll report back if it reoccurs.
post #12 of 20 Old 07-09-2018, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just posted about something similar. Just got a new Bravia 900f. With HDR content I get artifacting randomly. It’s like vertical lines running down the screen for a split second. Taking off YUC 422 seemed to fix it. But I’m concerned if that’s lowering picture quality
post #13 of 20 Old 08-01-2018, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I am having a similar issue now with the latest xbox update.
post #14 of 20 Old 08-02-2018, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Hi there,

I had the same thing happen with my Samsung KS-8000. I kept thinking it was an issue with the length of HDMI cable, but it ended up being the break out box (One Connect box) that has all of the HDMI inputs. Everything would be fine in SDR, but as soon as I attempted to send a HDR signal it would lose connection. Unplugging the breakout box from the TV and reconnecting fixed the issue for me. I know the B7 does not have break out box, but maybe try doing a reset on the TV?
post #15 of 20 Old 08-02-2018, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Most probably HDMI cable issue. I had the same problem with my 4K projector. Changed Premium Certified HDMI cables, and the problem gone.
post #16 of 20 Old 08-12-2018, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Sharing an experience:

I've had dropouts to my projector that have rendered it unusable..flakes out every few minutes. THen I noticed xbox dropouts on my 4K set that didn't last as long but happened, but then I also noticed them on my PS4. Replacing Cabling on short cable runs of less than 6 feet or so is probably going to solve that problem, you need cables that won't flake out at 18gpbs....most of the cables we have in our homes weren't rated to that when we bought them so that's one thing to try.

But if you have a projector the problem just got worse for some of us...because I'm learning, due to expensive trial and error, that most modern receivers that are not costing big-bucks ($1000+) are being made with questionable HDMI parts inside....all brands I'm learning...I believe non-certified were the words used, but long story short...my Denon I have been using for only a about six months... even with repeaters and $140 dollar Active HDMI-FiberOptic cables, I still got signal loss. Sad thing is...its only a 1080p projector, my 4K TV is on 8 foot HDMI runs and it had a dropout once in awhile...basically what I figured out was the Denon I bought, which is out of warranty and not worth repairing due to its low entry cost, overheats The HDMI parts get hot and they start flaking out.....lot of people having this type of problem, projector guys are noticing it first because the signals aren't reaching the PJ's reliably anymore.

In my case the HDMI transmitter was to blame in the Denon, but it's something worth considering....not really desirable to have to think about it but....it could be part of the problem: Your receiver may just not be doing justice to that HDMI signal......and the cable may be contributing to the problem.

I had to buy a new receiver...and I still have all the new $$$ cables, so hopefully I'm set until the 8K push starts in...oh its probably already started and I'm just slow....

For what its worth.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #17 of 20 Old 08-13-2018, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I hope its just a cable issue

I have been having the same issues when I switch my Sony XBR 65X850D to the enhanced setting for my HDMI input. Video of my 4K playback with this Enhanced setting. When I switch to standard (non 4k)...it goes away.

reddice likes this.
post #18 of 20 Old 02-07-2019, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLegend View Post
What Samsung cable?
I've changed the HDMI cable 3 times and same result.

I am having this issue as well. I notice you have the same receiver as me(Onkyo 676). I have changed the cables as well and am still getting the drop in video. I recently bought the receiver and don't remember having these issues before. It only happens with the Xbox one X. I also have an apple tv 4k and UBP-x700 hooked up through the receiver with no drops.

PSN: amays32
post #19 of 20 Old 02-12-2019, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 348
monoprice certified hdmi 2.0a cables. Pick your length.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-115...s%2C162&sr=8-3
post #20 of 20 Old 04-16-2019, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenson1167 View Post
I have been having the same issues when I switch my Sony XBR 65X850D to the enhanced setting for my HDMI input. Video of my 4K playback with this Enhanced setting. When I switch to standard (non 4k)...it goes away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOnhvQ52PTg

I'm having the same problem and just bought a brand new Samsung QLED TV, Sony STRDN1080 Receiver, Rocketfish Fiber Optic HDMI cable and i'm still experiencing the same freaking problems. Doesn't turning off the enhanced setting to standard basically render 4k/HDR gaming useless? I mean, what's the point in owning an XB1X if you can't game in HDR.

I've thought about purchasing a new xbox 1 x to see if the problem goes away, as i've heard it is a known issue and may have been fixed.

Last edited by barto78; 04-16-2019 at 08:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page