AVS Forum banner

XBox One games with "Render Scale" option

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  OnlookerDelay 
#1 ·
I'm curious to know if there are any XBox One games which have a "Render Scale" slider available to tweak the native render quality being output by the XBox One... or better yet, the XBox One X?

I ask because I just came upon a situation with a beta test I'm involved with in a PC game (The Golf Club 2019 Featuring PGA TOUR), where the developer has a "Render Scale" option available in the "Advanced Graphics" settings in the game menu. The game defaults to 1080p, with the Render Scale slider set at 100%, which in essence yields a 1080p output. I have a slightly better than average gaming PC, with a i5 processor and a Geforce 1060 3GB video card and I can set the render scale up to 125%, yielding a net 1350p display res, which gets upscaled by my TCL 55R617 to 2160, before I start getting unacceptable frame rate hits.

I was surprised at how much better the upscaled 1350p looked than the 1080p, however. Just for kicks, I took the Render Scale slider up to 200% and had a look. The difference in image quality was stunning at 200%. The game wouldn't have been playable at that res on my PC (28 to 32 fps), but I didn't expect it to look that much better than upscaled 1080p to 2160p. I guess it makes a statement for the benefits of native res :)

This game is being developed with Unity 2018.1, for the PC, XBox One, and PS4. It sort of stands to reason that if they can offer a Render Scale option in a Windows 10/DirectX 12/Unity 2018.1 game on the PC, they could make the same option available on the XBox One X, which has the same assets. Any thoughts on this, or better yet examples of where this is already the case?

See less See more
#2 ·
Because the console is a controlled environment, you tend to only get a couple options (if any) with the OneX. The most you will see is an option to Favor Resolution or Performance, where Performance will do its best to keep it at 60 FPS at a locked or variable resolution, or Resolution will do it's best to max out to 4k or whereabouts resolutions while locking the frame rate around 30 fps. Sometimes there's an in between option (Wolfenstein: New Colossus comes to mind) that finds a pretty decent middle-ground (textures vary up to 4k, frame rate between 45-60 FPS depending on what's going on).

#3 ·
That sounds a lot more like what I would expect from a console. I hope at the very least that HB Studios will come up with something like the in-between option you describe above. I don't think it will be able to maintain even 35 FPS at 4K res, based on what I saw in the PC beta, but it could probably hang at 50 to 60 FPS at 1440p.

Have you played Wolfenstein: New Colossus? If you have, are you conscious of the resolution changing dynamically, or is it blended so as not to be as conspicuous?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.