Xbox Distribution to multiple rooms - wireless controllers? Help appreciated - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-05-2018, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Xbox Distribution to multiple rooms - wireless controllers? Help appreciated

Afternoon all .... first time post re gaming so hope I'm in the right place.

Have a dedicated games room set up for kids for a good while now ... Xbox's, PS4 via HDMI switch to an Epson projector & Sony Surround sound system ... works a treat and used hard.

I'm rewiring two other rooms for 4kTV and surround sound. One room is full home theater, the other one with 4kTV and Sonos sound bar but wired for possible full surround later. Have plenty of RJ45, power, HDMI etc, all conduit-ed into wall.

I have the option to feed HDMI's to these sets from the games room HDMI switch ... it's close, approx 4 meters. Just means adding decent quality HDMI cables I think.

And I read that you can hard wire the controllers on USB ... also close, approx 4 meters. And I can run optical cables for surround sound, indeed there is an optical switch in the dedicated gaming room. Just to check that life is that simple ... a long USB cable?

But ideally would like wireless Xbox controllers (and indeed PS4 controllers) in each new location. Just wandering if it's possible or a pipe dream?

Also any other wires we should drag in while we have channels and holes in walls and floor boards up?

It could be a really neat install but would appreciate some guidance from folks with more skills or who have done.

And pushing it a bit but there is in fact a powerful desktop PC with twin screens right below the games room with Win 10 and big graphics card in. Could that be linked somehow as well to run with the Xbox or even the PS4? Total overkill but given we are in wiring hell I thought that could be a cool option as well.

Appreciate any guidance and suggestions while we at this point. Many thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-07-2018, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I think the real question is what do you really want to do in each different room. If the plan is to stream content, etc, then you could get a Control 4 type setup and use some form of home automation to control the Xbox/PS that way.

If the plan is to play games in each room, but only use the 1 Xbox/Ps4 that is in the game room, then I do not think it will be possible (in a gaming satisfactory way). Personally, I would think just getting another Xbox in each room and directly hooking it up to the TV/AVR in each room would be the best option and in the end not having to worry about distances, lag, dropouts etc. pulling cables, etc.

The Xbox App allows you to stream content from your Xbox to your PC, so in that way you could get the Xbox to work via the PC. Probably with it being hard wired, you could get decent resolution, but there would be a layer of lag that could be annoying.

I had a similar situation a few years back, where I had separate rooms being rewired (home theater, family room, masterbedroom, office, exercise room), and wanted multimedia in each room, including the ability to play games, stream content from my PC, whole house audio, etc. At the end, I just bought an Xbox for each room, and had a separate AVR for each room, but had the control 4 system control everything (sort of). The cost of extra Xbox's and (AVR's) was a pretty small amount overall (in relation to the project cost), but allowed much more flexability.

Xbox and PS3 Gamertag = Xerostomia
Wii = I'm too lazy to get the number
post #3 of 7 Old 09-08-2018, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deveng View Post
I think the real question is what do you really want to do in each different room. If the plan is to stream content, etc, then you could get a Control 4 type setup and use some form of home automation to control the Xbox/PS that way.

If the plan is to play games in each room, but only use the 1 Xbox/Ps4 that is in the game room, then I do not think it will be possible (in a gaming satisfactory way). Personally, I would think just getting another Xbox in each room and directly hooking it up to the TV/AVR in each room would be the best option and in the end not having to worry about distances, lag, dropouts etc. pulling cables, etc.

The Xbox App allows you to stream content from your Xbox to your PC, so in that way you could get the Xbox to work via the PC. Probably with it being hard wired, you could get decent resolution, but there would be a layer of lag that could be annoying.

I had a similar situation a few years back, where I had separate rooms being rewired (home theater, family room, masterbedroom, office, exercise room), and wanted multimedia in each room, including the ability to play games, stream content from my PC, whole house audio, etc. At the end, I just bought an Xbox for each room, and had a separate AVR for each room, but had the control 4 system control everything (sort of). The cost of extra Xbox's and (AVR's) was a pretty small amount overall (in relation to the project cost), but allowed much more flexability.
Hi there, and thanks for the reply.

It's a good question actually. I think the answer is a combination of mindset and hating a missed opportunity. What does that mean? Well the house is very well connected and in a 'sort of' IT data center mindset .... there speaks an IT Director biging himself up!

We have installed a huge amount of CAT 6 RJ45 fed from two Netgear 48 port G/B Switches to every room and external, same with audio and also same to a lesser extent with distributed HDMI. Then all the 'devices' .... AV receivers, Sonos boxes, DVD type stuff is racked up in one room (my office) and fed out. And the same the other side, Satellite, TV, Internet. In short, every device runs via high spend copper except items that have no copper option e.g Roku USB plug in. Very little wireless use. Pretty much just phones and Pixelbook.

Then a good few years back we redeveloped a room to become a games room for kids (now Grand-kids) ... its got every PS 1 to 4, and every Xbox to X Box One x wired though an HDMI switch to a projector. And there's a game race seat, wheel etc. Works really well and is key to managing time spent on consoles etc. Just have to replace carpet every couple of years!!! :-)

And third, I hate tech clutter .... just me but I don't particularly like the huge box under the TV of tech boxes, flashing lights etc.... and come to that we don't have the space. Houses in the US I imagine are generally speaking bigger and so less of a problem. Over here in the 51st state, they tend be smaller so space utilisation is a 'sort of' factor.

So when wiring up a new room just now for a small (but high function) home theater, the idea just grew ... I like the concept of everything, everywhere ... and whilst that's a vague and moving target, it's proved massively useful over time .... if ridiculously hard work and a questionable investment but does just work.

And in the past we have fed PS4 out via mad long USB's and DVI through an HDFury to an outside screen ... was very successful without any delays. Maybe we just got lucky but worked a treat. So I thought this should be simple enough and so far so good .... the HDMI's work fine on all TV's from the HDMI switch. And I've put RJ45's in between the games room with a view to adding USB extenders .... I've seen this solution work without any noticeable delay. But I'm thinking some form of wireless device could be added at the TV end so the 'wire to the wall' for the controller could be eliminated .... now that would be very elegant if possible.

What I've also done (but not tested yet) is install a 10 meter USB 3.1 extender cable. It has some form of signal boost in in-line boxes in the body of the cable. Quite an expensive cable so in theory it should work as well if not better than the RJ45/USB extender configuration. But again if we could identify a 'plug in' that could go at the far end USB cable (at the TV end) and have a wireless Xbox controller there it would be rather nice. That I'm struggling to identify and could use suggestions that have worked nicely.

Take your point entirely that adding a box would by far be the simplest but it sort of flys against our concept some.

Not familiar with Control 4 but for sure will be taking a read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-08-2018, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I understand completely where you are coming from.

Others can chime in, but I think it is 'impossible' to extend the controllers wifi range. I think back in the X360 days, people were talking about opening up the 360, and soldering an RF antena to the motherboard but I do not think anyone was actually successful in doing so.

For whatever reason, Microsoft never made the Xbox wireless controller adaptor for PC work with the Xbox. I suppose there is no real reason to do so, but I would have to think all the Xbox would need is an extremely simple software upgrade to make it work, and that would then fix your problem. This solution will work for your PC, but it will not work with gaming consoles.

The work around, would then be to use the Xbox App on PC, stream the Xbox to PC, and then distribute the video signal to different monitors around the house through HDMI via either the PC or Xbox (I would use the Xbox). You would need a USB port in each room that is directly connected to the PC, and plug in this adaptor in that room. Thus, the AV is being distributed by the source (Xbox), but you are using the Xbox PC interface app to use the controller.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/...dapter-windows

This adaptor will only work with Windows 10 though.

Xbox and PS3 Gamertag = Xerostomia
Wii = I'm too lazy to get the number

Last edited by deveng; 09-08-2018 at 09:42 AM.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-08-2018, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deveng View Post
I understand completely where you are coming from.

Others can chime in, but I think it is 'impossible' to extend the controllers wifi range. I think back in the X360 days, people were talking about opening up the 360, and soldering an RF antena to the motherboard but I do not think anyone was actually successful in doing so.

For whatever reason, Microsoft never made the Xbox wireless controller adaptor for PC work with the Xbox. I suppose there is no real reason to do so, but I would have to think all the Xbox would need is an extremely simple software upgrade to make it work, and that would then fix your problem. This solution will work for your PC, but it will not work with gaming consoles.

The work around, would then be to use the Xbox App on PC, stream the Xbox to PC, and then distribute the video signal to different monitors around the house through HDMI via either the PC or Xbox (I would use the Xbox). You would need a USB port in each room that is directly connected to the PC, and plug in this adaptor in that room. Thus, the AV is being distributed by the source (Xbox), but you are using the Xbox PC interface app to use the controller.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/...dapter-windows

This adaptor will only work with Windows 10 though.

Ahh that's good to at least understand that even if it's not what I hoped. Thanks for explaining.

And indeed I do what to connect up the PC in the manner you mention ... as it goes that's smack bang under the Xbox one floor up and a decent spec one on Win 10 so that will be a nice way to go ....again overkill but for the limited investment and work, it makes sense.

Thanks for the link for the Xbox/Win 10 adaptor. I'm not a gaming guy but learning a lot here. Many thanks for taking the time to steer the way forward.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-14-2018, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 188
I have a central rack in my basement that feeds 3 tvs and a projector using an HDMI Matrix (sounds a lot like what you have) and my shield and xbox sit in the rack. If I'm reading your post right, you're essentially adding 2 more zones about 4m away from your central control setup. Unless you have a wireless router right there on top of everything, I don't see why you can't just use the wireless controllers as is and leave the game systems centrally located. I have tried to wire my controller for a bit more range and failed, what helped me with range was moving my wireless router away from the xbox.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-14-2018, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberk View Post
I have a central rack in my basement that feeds 3 tvs and a projector using an HDMI Matrix (sounds a lot like what you have) and my shield and xbox sit in the rack. If I'm reading your post right, you're essentially adding 2 more zones about 4m away from your central control setup. Unless you have a wireless router right there on top of everything, I don't see why you can't just use the wireless controllers as is and leave the game systems centrally located. I have tried to wire my controller for a bit more range and failed, what helped me with range was moving my wireless router away from the xbox.
Hi Aberk and thanks for the advice. Is a point ... I've not actually tried the controllers at range wire-lessly. I just assumed they would be poor.

We have routed the USB 3.0 extender cable and RJ45's (to convert from to USB) from the Xbox under floor to each room now. They work a treat ... both, no lag, no issues of any sort. But it would still be great to find an end device (TV end) that could then 'wireless out' at close range. I'm sort of left a bit amazed that there isn't something that be bought or moded to do that.

One new thing that would make this ideal is a switch (like the HDMI matrix to the TV's that you mention) that does the same but with USB feeds ... to the currently hard wired controllers. Have to admit I've not looked for that, it just crosses my mind whilst writing. Just looking online and something like this....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Shar.../dp/B01CU4QD1I

or this but with 3+ USB connections....

https://www.startech.com/uk/Cards-Ad...witch~USB221SS

Then you would have multiple TV outputs and multiple controllers ... but off the same USB ports on the Xbox. Interested if that is possible.

But as you say, the router itself is strangely only 2 meters upwards from the Xbox, the one TV is 2 meters from the same router and the other TV maybe 4 meters away. Interesting to look at that. The actual distance between all devices is quite small.

I found this Youtube video ... it's a little all over the place but interesting when you boil the ideas down....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page