1Likes
  • 1 Post By usc1995

post #1 of 14 Old 11-16-2018, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Xbox S vs X 4k Movies Only

I'm hoping someone who owns the Xbox S and/or X can assist me. I've been reading all the reviews I can about the two differences and none of them are really addressing my concern. I'm planning on upgrading my projector to 4K and need a new 4K player. I have loved the PS3 for years for it's media player and Blu-ray player and already know the PS4 Pro isn't even an option, not to mention the awful media player they've effed up. I could go with a dedicated 4K player, but then would need a suitable media player as well that works as good or better than the PS3 to handle 4K content. Due to firmware and software upgrades, I've set my eyes on the Xbox to serve both purposes.

In terms of strictly going 4K player and media player (ignoring games all together), is there really a difference between the S and X? I understand the X is more powerful and for gaming, is a big difference when it comes to 4K gaming with upscaling/native etc, but gaming isn't my concern. I can't see any difference in quality/specs that will affect the 4K player or the media player aspects of either system, but don't want to go with the S if there really is a difference when it comes to watching movies on the S or X.

Any insight would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-16-2018, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I can't hear my one X at all but my S after a few hours I feel like I just walked out a machine shop from the low pitched continuous hum. I would go X simply for noise factor if money isn't a big issue.

I'm thinking of replacing my S with another X simply for noise.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-18-2018, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I have both. In my opinion it makes no sense to get the X if you have no interest in playing games. I have used my S almost exclusively for 4K and Atmos, and have had no issues with any noise. I don't usually play games on the S, but even when I do, I still don't hear the machine. Kids have been playing Destiny and Fortnite, NBA 2K periodically when their friends come over, and I have played Horizon 2, and Killer Instinct on the S, but never for extended times, so I cannot comment on if the fan turns on with stress, but I don't think the system is stressed at all by playing 4K. The machine is literally silent.

If you have any inclination to play games, and want to play on a 4K device to perhaps 'showcase' your system, then consider the X, but otherwise skip the X it is not worth it as a dedicated 4K player over the S. As far as I know there is no difference between S and X for 4K, HDR, Atmos, and DV for movies and streaming.

The S is an absolute steal as a 4K player and gaming machine, but the whole point of the X is for 4K gaming. Black Friday deals can probably get you an S for under $200. The X will be twice the price for no difference in 4K movies.

Xbox and PS3 Gamertag = Xerostomia
Wii = I'm too lazy to get the number
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 11-19-2018, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I have an X & an S, and there is no difference for UHD discs. If you are going to spend the money for the X, then I would get a dedicated 4K UHD player. I have an Oppo, and it runs circles around the game machines as a player. It is faster, handles every disc I through at it and I think the picture is better.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-23-2018, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by deveng View Post
I have both. In my opinion it makes no sense to get the X if you have no interest in playing games. I have used my S almost exclusively for 4K and Atmos, and have had no issues with any noise. I don't usually play games on the S, but even when I do, I still don't hear the machine. Kids have been playing Destiny and Fortnite, NBA 2K periodically when their friends come over, and I have played Horizon 2, and Killer Instinct on the S, but never for extended times, so I cannot comment on if the fan turns on with stress, but I don't think the system is stressed at all by playing 4K. The machine is literally silent.

If you have any inclination to play games, and want to play on a 4K device to perhaps 'showcase' your system, then consider the X, but otherwise skip the X it is not worth it as a dedicated 4K player over the S. As far as I know there is no difference between S and X for 4K, HDR, Atmos, and DV for movies and streaming.

The S is an absolute steal as a 4K player and gaming machine, but the whole point of the X is for 4K gaming. Black Friday deals can probably get you an S for under $200. The X will be twice the price for no difference in 4K movies.

Not to hijack but I’ve owned a PS2, PS4 (I sold) and Wii. The cycle always goes that I am addicted to games for a month or so, then end up not touching the device anymore. If I’m looking for something to play Blueray and game a little bit, would the S be the best choice for me? To add I also have $200 in BB rewards from buying my 900F tv last month. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #6 of 14 Old 12-23-2018, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by UWbadger91 View Post
Not to hijack but I’ve owned a PS2, PS4 (I sold) and Wii. The cycle always goes that I am addicted to games for a month or so, then end up not touching the device anymore. If I’m looking for something to play Blueray and game a little bit, would the S be the best choice for me? To add I also have $200 in BB rewards from buying my 900F tv last month. Thanks!

If you want to game in 4K then get the X. Otherwise, the streaming and Blu-ray capability of the S and X are identical so save the money and just get the S.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Zoland2020 likes this.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-23-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1995 View Post
If you want to game in 4K then get the X. Otherwise, the streaming and Blu-ray capability of the S and X are identical so save the money and just get the S.

Awesome! And for gaming just being an if I’m bored thing, would the S be good? I can afford the X and such, but have $200ish in BB points I could buy the S with. Will probably get Forza and some shooters.

post #8 of 14 Old 12-24-2018, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWbadger91 View Post
Awesome! And for gaming just being an if I’m bored thing, would the S be good? I can afford the X and such, but have $200ish in BB points I could buy the S with. Will probably get Forza and some shooters.

I am not aware of any titles that are only available for the X and not available for the S. You should be able scratch your gaming itch with the S.

post #9 of 14 Old 12-27-2018, 03:20 PM

I bought an Xbox One S because it felt like the most value out of $200 lol. Am I making a mistake considering I have a 900F? $200 more didn’t seem to make sense.

post #10 of 14 Old 12-27-2018, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

If gaming in 4K then you should get the X. I am not much of a gamer and bought the S just for the multimedia capabilities. It plays UHD discs, can stream 4K with HDR from Vudu, Netflix and Amazon and has a number of other apps as well. I use it with a JVC 4K e-shift projector and it has worked fine for a great price. It isn’t perfect as it does some dumb things such as putting all streaming audio in an Atmos container whether it is Atmos or not (eliminating the ability to use the Dolby Surround and Neural X upmixers) or streaming Netflix in HDR whether the content is HDR or not. It also cannot do HDR from YouTube. With that said, it is a cheap way to get access to a lot of 4K content and the latest games. It has been worth it to me especially at the price paid.

post #11 of 14 Old 01-02-2019, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpls1981 View Post
In terms of strictly going 4K player and media player (ignoring games all together)

If that is the case you are better off buying a good dedicated UHD Bluray player.
post #12 of 14 Old 02-10-2019, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
2nd to the comment above.
post #13 of 14 Old 02-19-2019, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 260
You're overthinking it. Just buy the S and you'll be fine; gaming, media, 4K player, and otherwise.

OLED55E6P (609 build)
Denon X2400H
KEF Q100 L/R/C, SVS SB12-NSD
XB1S, Roku Ultra
post #14 of 14 Old 03-01-2019, 12:49 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttpalmer View Post
You're overthinking it. Just buy the S and you'll be fine; gaming, media, 4K player, and otherwise.
Agree!
I also use my S for viewing, little gaming & streaming all OK.

XGimi CC, XGimi Z6, UKCSIS, Vmai M200 Pico
Xbox One S, LG SH4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page