• 2 Post By HeadRusch
  • 2 Post By mutelight

post #1 of 9 Old 04-30-2019, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Xbox One newbie

I bought my first Xbox One X and need some tips from the experts here.

I am not a gamer, this one is for the 7 year old at home. I received the free Xbox Gold Live subscription for one month with the purchase. What kind of free games can I get for kids under 10 years?Do I need to purchase additional subscriptions or games?
So far I tried out Gems of War and I kinda liked it. I downloaded few games as well online.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-30-2019, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
I bought my first Xbox One X and need some tips from the experts here.

I am not a gamer, this one is for the 7 year old at home. I received the free Xbox Gold Live subscription for one month with the purchase. What kind of free games can I get for kids under 10 years?Do I need to purchase additional subscriptions or games?
So far I tried out Gems of War and I kinda liked it. I downloaded few games as well online.
For free games, Xbox offers a couple of different ones each month to Gold members. They may or may not be good for kids under 10 though.

Although not free, you can't go wrong with Minecraft. After the initial purchase, you can spend many hours on it without spending a penny. My 7yo has been playing for months now with no sign of stopping! He also asked for Roblox, which is similar, but it has 2 problems that I've noticed. First, the game seems to hound you constantly to buy in-game currency to do everything. Minecraft has 5 featured servers at all times that let you play minigames for free. And secondly, the Roblox mini-games are all user-created content, so you have to adjust the profile settings on your child's Xbox account to allow this. Minecraft content is user-created too.. but the 5 featured multi-player servers are all blessed by Microsoft, so you can leave the user-created flag set to "friends only" and it doesn't give you any grief. I had to open this up to "Everyone" for my kid to play Roblox.

All that to say that Minecraft is not free, Roblox *is* free, and IMO you get what you pay for with both options.
nitynity likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-30-2019, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Photokid mentions free games every month, it's worth noting that those games will only work while you subscribe to the Gold service, they pick a few games each month and offer them up for free download, every 30 days you get some new games.....but you can't choose them. Sometimes they are older, bigger-named games....other times they are more lower-end titles, but free is free....ish. It's more like you're leasing them, when you stop paying for Xbox Gold you lose access to the 'free games'.

However, any game codes that came with the Xbox you purchased, those are direct download and those are yours to keep regardless of gold membership status. Gold Membership is only a real necessity for gamers who like playing online or who enjoy amassing a collection of leased games, also sometimes gold members get bigger discounts on sales that they regularly hold online.

Just wanted to make that distinction for you.

There is a microsoft subscription service called GAME PASS that is separate from the Gold Membership, it is relatively new and Microsoft is now pushing it hard....basically its like, again, buying a subscription to the "Game Store" and you can play anything in the game store as long as the subscription is maintained. Its different from gold, and I don't personally use it, but if you're new to the Xbox world you will be able to play a substantial selection of games for the cost of maybe 2 new ones (for a year long subscription). You can always try out one of the 3 month trials they offer of the service for significantly less.

In the end you know your 10 year olds better than we do, googling "Best kid-friendly xbox games 2019" is probably going to get you plenty to read or watch on YouTube. Best of luck!
nitynity and Photokid1970 like this.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-30-2019, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2171 Post(s)
Liked: 2456
As HeadRusch pointed out, I'd try out a Xbox Game Pass trial to see which games are there. It is a monthly subscription but you will gain access to over 200 games and hopefully there is a decent selection in there the kids would like.

Worst case, if the $10/mo isn't worth it, you can cancel the trial before the renewal is applied and you aren't charged any money.
HeadRusch and nitynity like this.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-02-2019, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photokid1970 View Post
For free games, Xbox offers a couple of different ones each month to Gold members. They may or may not be good for kids under 10 though.

Although not free, you can't go wrong with Minecraft. After the initial purchase, you can spend many hours on it without spending a penny. My 7yo has been playing for months now with no sign of stopping! He also asked for Roblox, which is similar, but it has 2 problems that I've noticed. First, the game seems to hound you constantly to buy in-game currency to do everything. Minecraft has 5 featured servers at all times that let you play minigames for free. And secondly, the Roblox mini-games are all user-created content, so you have to adjust the profile settings on your child's Xbox account to allow this. Minecraft content is user-created too.. but the 5 featured multi-player servers are all blessed by Microsoft, so you can leave the user-created flag set to "friends only" and it doesn't give you any grief. I had to open this up to "Everyone" for my kid to play Roblox.

All that to say that Minecraft is not free, Roblox *is* free, and IMO you get what you pay for with both options.

Thanks Photokid1970. I already have Minecraft installed and the little one loves it so far. I didn't know it was not FREE. He doesn't play daily so I don't think I will be keeping any subscription beyond the free trial period. I probably just buy the Minecraft CD if he really likes to continue playing the game. I will try out Roblox too, thanks for the suggestion.

Just looked up Microsoft Store, says - Game requires Xbox Live Gold to play on Xbox (subscription sold separately) for Roblox.

Last edited by nitynity; 05-02-2019 at 01:50 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-02-2019, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post
Photokid mentions free games every month, it's worth noting that those games will only work while you subscribe to the Gold service, they pick a few games each month and offer them up for free download, every 30 days you get some new games.....but you can't choose them. Sometimes they are older, bigger-named games....other times they are more lower-end titles, but free is free....ish. It's more like you're leasing them, when you stop paying for Xbox Gold you lose access to the 'free games'.

However, any game codes that came with the Xbox you purchased, those are direct download and those are yours to keep regardless of gold membership status. Gold Membership is only a real necessity for gamers who like playing online or who enjoy amassing a collection of leased games, also sometimes gold members get bigger discounts on sales that they regularly hold online.

Just wanted to make that distinction for you.

There is a microsoft subscription service called GAME PASS that is separate from the Gold Membership, it is relatively new and Microsoft is now pushing it hard....basically its like, again, buying a subscription to the "Game Store" and you can play anything in the game store as long as the subscription is maintained. Its different from gold, and I don't personally use it, but if you're new to the Xbox world you will be able to play a substantial selection of games for the cost of maybe 2 new ones (for a year long subscription). You can always try out one of the 3 month trials they offer of the service for significantly less.

In the end you know your 10 year olds better than we do, googling "Best kid-friendly xbox games 2019" is probably going to get you plenty to read or watch on YouTube. Best of luck!

Thanks HeadRusch. That's what I found out so far regarding subscriptions. You get to play as long as you keep paying.I will do the google search as you suggested and buy some game CD's for now.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-02-2019, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Most welcome, and don't be afraid to shop used for your games....personally I buy 1-2 brand new games a year, everything else I buy used when its $19.99 or less...I've learned some patience in my advancing years

Check GAMEFLY.COM's store section for what they are offering-up used as their games are very well priced for used, and are always (in my experience) pristine when they arrive.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #8 of 9 Old 06-04-2019, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post
Most welcome, and don't be afraid to shop used for your games....personally I buy 1-2 brand new games a year, everything else I buy used when its $19.99 or less...I've learned some patience in my advancing years

Check GAMEFLY.COM's store section for what they are offering-up used as their games are very well priced for used, and are always (in my experience) pristine when they arrive.

Thanks HeadRusch.

I found the option to buy minecraft through microsoft store for $19.99. I do have game pass subscription, so the price comes down to $15.99. But then it states Online multiplayer on Xbox requires Xbox Live Gold (subscription sold separately).

So is it a multiplayer game or can it be played if I purchase the CD or digital copy without additional subscription?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/mi...%3Aoverviewtab
post #9 of 9 Old 06-05-2019, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
Thanks HeadRusch.

I found the option to buy minecraft through microsoft store for $19.99. I do have game pass subscription, so the price comes down to $15.99. But then it states Online multiplayer on Xbox requires Xbox Live Gold (subscription sold separately).

So is it a multiplayer game or can it be played if I purchase the CD or digital copy without additional subscription?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/mi...%3Aoverviewtab
Both. When I first bought Minecraft for my 7yo, I didn't understand it. He had to teach me how to go into the world he created, then he would show me how to build houses and fly around. I honestly did not see the point. I ended up buying him a Realm, which is a world that stays online even when you are not logged into it. So his friends can log in, build their houses etc, and my son does not have to be online hosting a session. Anyhow, to do this, you have to have Xbox Live Gold to do the multiplayer part. (Or, in his case, play on *my* Xbox which has a Gold account.)

Now he goes straight to the Multiplayer tab and joins one of the 5 Featured servers - that's where you can find a place to play various versions of Capture the Flag or other sandbox games. You definitely have to have Gold for this.

I will say that unless you have a Party, there is no interaction between other players except for the onscreen chat. Sure, folks could type stuff that I don't want my child to read, but for the most part I haven't seen that. I guess it takes too much effort. So I have pretty much let him have free reign on multiplayer Minecraft stuff.

But if you aren't quite to that level of trust, then there is still PLENTY of stuff to do in Minecraft without multiplayer. You can create an infinite number of worlds with different characteristics - snowscapes, deserts, ocean life, panda zoos, etc. Google will give you infinite codes called seeds, which will let you do anything. You can play in Creative mode and build without danger. Once you learn the mechanics of the game, you can play in Survival mode where the bad guys come after you.

Oddly enough, I first bought Minecraft after reading an article talking about how it was a good game for kids to learn programming. The article mentioned how kids could code something quickly, then make it rain chickens in the game. Now that I've learned more about the game, I realize that the programming aspect is only for the PC edition. It is not compatible with the console edition! And this is *not* one of those games where you buy it on Xbox and you get it for free on Windows 10... they are separate. However, if you have an Xbox world, you can cross play with other consoles.

I had all of these same questions just a few months ago, so I apologize for the brain dump. I'm trying to answer all of the things that you are looking for! Good luck. (If I missed anything, @HeadRusch can fill in for me again - ha ha. That's what makes AVS so helpful!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page