AVS Forum banner

Shows only Multi in on Denon 750H with no ATMOS.

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Isaac Gaillard 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Is a bit weird for my case. When I put an Ultra bluray it does display Atmos on my Denon but at Netflix or gaming it shows only "Multi in" with PCM on the Denon 750H dsplay with no ATMOS.

It does sounds like ATMOS but it bothers me when is not being display. Anyone got the same issue?

Netflix does shows the ATMOS on the movies that has it so which means it did detected. So the display on DENON is bothering me. Everything has been set to bitstream already.

#2 ·
This is interesting. I posted twice about this last week:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/141-xbox-area/2941270-dolby-atmos-gaming-thread-18.html#post58527912
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/3074034-official-2019-marantz-nr-series-sr-series-avr-owner-s-thread-faq-posts-1-6-a-3.html#post58514884

The above describes my issue with a Marantz 6014 (2019 model also). Exactly what you have with Denon, which isn't a surprise given the overlap. This did not exist with my older X2200, a 2018 X4500, and a 2018 Marantz 7013. I ended up swapping for the Marantz 7013 and have had no issues.

Unfortunately I did not find a solution, and assumed it was a firmware issue on the 2019 receivers, OR, the Xbox required some update for these newer receivers. The good news is when playing movies it was detected, as you note, but never in the menus or Atmos app.

#4 ·
This is interesting. I posted twice about this last week:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/141-xbox-area/2941270-dolby-atmos-gaming-thread-18.html#post58527912
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-r...-s-thread-faq-posts-1-6-a-3.html#post58514884

The above describes my issue with a Marantz 6014 (2019 model also). Exactly what you have with Denon, which isn't a surprise given the overlap. This did not exist with my older X2200, a 2018 X4500, and a 2018 Marantz 7013. I ended up swapping for the Marantz 7013 and have had no issues.

Unfortunately I did not find a solution, and assumed it was a firmware issue on the 2019 receivers, OR, the Xbox required some update for these newer receivers. The good news is when playing movies it was detected, as you note, but never in the menus or Atmos app.
Hi All,

Is a bit weird for my case. When I put an Ultra bluray it does display Atmos on my Denon but at Netflix or gaming it shows only "Multi in" with PCM on the Denon 750H dsplay with no ATMOS.

It does sounds like ATMOS but it bothers me when is not being display. Anyone got the same issue?

Netflix does shows the ATMOS on the movies that has it so which means it did detected. So the display on DENON is bothering me. Everything has been set to bitstream already.
Same issue here with 2019 Onkyo..
[emoji2962]

#3 ·
This may be what you're seeing...

Blu-ray will show Atmos on your receiver if your Xbox is set to bitstream from disk. This is a specific setting for disc playback which it appears you have correct.

Outside of disks, in the general sound output settings you will have a number of options including Atmos, Dolby Digital, PCM, etc... The only way to get Atmos from games (and Netflix) is to change this setting to Atmos.

The problem this creates, which may not be a problem for everyone, is that Xbox will now output all your Atmos channels all the time. This means that a 5.1 channel source (in Netflix for example) will have the 5.1 channels but the other (Atmos) channels will be empty. This means your receiver can't perform any simulated Atmos processing on these sources (because it is receiving all the channels already, although some are empty).

The solution, though not elegant or convenient, is to set the Xbox output to Atmos when you're going to play a game (or Netflix show) with Atmos... then back to your setting of choice at all other times. This way you get Atmos when available, but when it's not your receiver can apply the processing of your choice to the available channels to utilize your speakers.

Leave your disk playback settings as-is.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Great post and potential solution. I just installed 4 atmos speakers today and will test this tomorrow with some 5.1 vs atmos content. When using atmos setting on Xbox settings, I only have 3 choices in my sound output on receiver, so it is killing any simulated atmos processing. Will post back observations.

#7 ·
I don't recall where but I remember reading something about Microsoft considering a solution that involved an option for the Xbox to provide Atmos upscaling when set to output Atmos. I assume this would be a paid option, like Atmos for headphones is currently. Ultimately the problem is that the Xbox integrates system sounds with its output, except when you're bit streaming something from a disc, or in the case of games is generating the audio itself.

In my specific case I have disc set to bitstream and the Xbox sound set to DTS (I believe) which lets my receiver perform neural x upmixing. This sounds as good as Netflix's native Atmos to my ears. Gears of war 4/5 and the last couple tomb raider games are the only ones I play that do Atmos. They do it pretty well so if I'm going to play for more than an hour or so I will change the Xbox setting to Atmos to hear it natively. Oherwise it's not worth the trouble and I leave my settings as they are and let the receiver upmix, still sounds pretty good. But I also agree with the OP, it's nice to see Atmos showing on the receiver

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.