2 Xbox Ones and family sharing? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By kevin g.
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 09-28-2019, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rolltide1017's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 3,461
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 491
2 Xbox Ones and family sharing?

I don’t know why I can’t wrap my head around this but, in my head it should be simple yet seems impossible.

Here’s what I’d like to do:

Currently we have an Xbox One X in our living room that everybody shares. I was considering getting an X1 S for the kids room so they could play games in there when my wife and I want the living room TV. The kids would still play on the living room Xbox. Sometimes, one kid in the the kids room and the other in the living room at the same time, playing the same game (like Roblox).

Everything I’m reading makes it sound like this would be impossible without me having to spend a butt load of money buying 2 digital copies of each game and each kid having Gold accounts. Is that correct?

I can’t believe MS doesn’t have a good family sharing feature. With Apple, everyone in our family group can watch and play any purchased movie or game. Our Apple Music sub is shared with everyone and so is our iCloud storage.

How has this been an oversight by MS? There should be Gold family plans where everyone in the family group can play any purchased game no matter which console they are on in the house.

Sorry for the little rant but, it shouldn’t be this difficult, in this day and age, to share multiple consoles in a household.

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus

Last edited by rolltide1017; 09-28-2019 at 01:44 PM.
rolltide1017 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 09-28-2019, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jrocker23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 1,176
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
I don’t know why I can’t wrap my head around this but, in my head it should be simple yet seems impossible.

Here’s what I’d like to do:

Currently we have an Xbox One X in our living room that everybody shares. I was considering getting an X1 S for the kids room so they could play games in there when my wife and I want the living room TV. The kids would still play on the living room Xbox. Sometimes, one kid in the the kids room and the other in the living room at the same time, playing the same game (like Roblox).

Everything I’m reading makes it sound like this would be impossible without me having to spend a butt load of money buying 2 digital copies of each game and each kid having Gold accounts. Is that correct?

I can’t believe MS doesn’t have a good family sharing feature. With Apple, everyone in our family group can watch and play any purchased movie or game. Our Apple Music sub is shared with everyone and so is our iCloud storage.

How has this been an oversight by MS? There should be Gold family plans where everyone in the family group can play any purchased game no matter which console they are on in the house.

Sorry for the little rant but, it shouldn’t be this difficult, in this day and age, to share multiple consoles in a household.
You can game share, it's built in. Here is what you have to do.

On the living room Xbox (let's say this is your primary Xbox) make sure all gamertags (accounts) are on the xbox. Have one of the kids log in with their gamertag, have them go to settings / preferences and go to the section that says make this my home Xbox, have them make it their home xbox.

Now go to the second Xbox and again make sure all accounts are on it. You log in with your account and go to the same settings and make it your home Xbox.

Once done you all can play any digital game at the same time including online ( just make sure each account that made the Xbox their home xbox has an active Xbox live gold subscription that way any account on that Xbox can use Xbox live gold without having to buy a gold subscriptions)

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming...e-on-xbox-one/

TV - LG C9, C8 & C6 - AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
Jrocker23 is online now  
post #3 of 11 Old 09-28-2019, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rolltide1017's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 3,461
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 491
See, I’m still confused because all the games are bought under my account. I thought the only console where everyone can play my purchased games was the one that is my “Home” console. The one that is not my home console would only allow me to play the games when I’m signed in, otherwise it ask for them to insert disc or buy digitally.

Honestly, it shouldn’t this difficult or take countless articles written to explain. Or maybe I’m an idiot and just not understanding the whole process. I want any family member to be able to play on either console and have access to all games purchased by me (digitally of course, I don’t buy disc).

MS, just create true family sharing where you can add, say, up to six people (like Apple) to the group. Everyone in the group has access to everything purchased by the group manager, regardless of the console being used. Have an up charge available to give the entire family Gold status. Again, similar to Apple Music which is 9.99 for one person and 14.99 for families. I currently have GP Ultimate which is $14.99. I’d be willing to pay $24.99 for a family version.

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus
rolltide1017 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 Old 09-28-2019, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jrocker23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 1,176
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
See, I’m still confused because all the games are bought under my account. I thought the only console where everyone can play my purchased games was the one that is my “Home” console. The one that is not my home console would only allow me to play the games when I’m signed in, otherwise it ask for them to insert disc or buy digitally.

Honestly, it shouldn’t this difficult or take countless articles written to explain. Or maybe I’m an idiot and just not understanding the whole process. I want any family member to be able to play on either console and have access to all games purchased by me (digitally of course, I don’t buy disc).

MS, just create true family sharing where you can add, say, up to six people (like Apple) to the group. Everyone in the group has access to everything purchased by the group manager, regardless of the console being used. Have an up charge available to give the entire family Gold status. Again, similar to Apple Music which is 9.99 for one person and 14.99 for families. I currently have GP Ultimate which is $14.99. I’d be willing to pay $24.99 for a family version.
If you do what I posted above you will be able to do what you are looking to do

TV - LG C9, C8 & C6 - AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
Jrocker23 is online now  
post #5 of 11 Old 09-28-2019, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rolltide1017's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 3,461
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Okay. So, if I follow your instructions, does it matter which console I purchase games on in the future?

Is there any way to keep my current Xbox One X as my home console and still get it to work (this is the living room one in my scenario)?

I guess I’m not following why making the second, or new console, my home console makes this work. Sorry, this has got to be frustrating because it makes sense to you and not to me. Trust me, I know how you feel, I work in IT.

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus
rolltide1017 is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 09-28-2019, 09:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jrocker23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 1,176
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
Okay. So, if I follow your instructions, does it matter which console I purchase games on in the future?

Is there any way to keep my current Xbox One X as my home console and still get it to work (this is the living room one in my scenario)?

I guess I’m not following why making the second, or new console, my home console makes this work. Sorry, this has got to be frustrating because it makes sense to you and not to me. Trust me, I know how you feel, I work in IT.
It won't matter what console or gamertag you purchase on.

You will have to make your home console they second one unfortunately. If you keep the living room one as your home one it won't share the way you want.

You can switch between consoles 5 times a year to make either one your home console so if you wanted you could test making your home console the living room and the other the secondary. If it doesn't work exactly the way you like then you could still set it up the way I advised and you should have everything the way you like

TV - LG C9, C8 & C6 - AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
Jrocker23 is online now  
post #7 of 11 Old 09-29-2019, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kevin g.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,034
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 168
@Jrocker23 is right.



It's not as much of a pain in the a$$ as it sounds. Xbox is looking for the primary account. If you hold the Xbox LIVE account, you sign in on the one you perceive to be the "secondary" console set that as your "home console". Go in to settings/accounts and set to "share Xbox LIVE". This allows all who play on this machine to be signed in to LIVE at any time, any day. Then on the one you perceive to be the "primary console" (the X)...you sign in and you can play at any time. The kids can play (online) on the X, as long as you are signed in. You buy ONE digital copy, and is shared between both machines.



Xbox DOES have family accounts, and, they used to have a "Family" plan, where you paid extra for additional members to access LIVE. I used it, but I don't think it got much traction, as it was in the 360 days, and pre-digital download boom. That said, I urge you to leave your kids' accounts as normal LIVE accounts. Adding them as a "child" account can royally screw things up for them in their future gaming. Especially where *********s like EA Games come in to the fold.
Jrocker23 likes this.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

kevin g. is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 09-29-2019, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rolltide1017's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 3,461
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 491
2 Xbox Ones and family sharing?

Ugh, about child accounts. My kids have had child accounts under mine for over a year. I debated regular accounts vs child but, went with child for the greater control and visibility for the parents. My kids are 11, 9 and 9. MS documentation made it sound like their accounts would automatically switch to adult accounts when they hit the correct age.


One last game sharing question. So, on the console that is NOT my home console, would I need to set my account to auto login for them to be able to play all my games?

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus
rolltide1017 is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 10-02-2019, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
deveng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,807
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I have multiple Xbox's and I use my gamertag (MS account) to buy the games digitally.

The Xbox that you do NOT play on should be set as the 'home' console for your gamertag (MS account). Thus it seems that the Xbox S for the kids will be the home console for your gamertag.

Anyone can then play all the games you bought digitally on that Xbox and they don't need to be signed into live and you do not need to be signed in (home console you can play off line).

However, for you to play all digital games you own on your Xbox X, you will need to be signed into Live. Similarly, if anyone else wanted to play these games on your X, you will need to be signed in on that Xbox while they play on that Xbox with their own gamertags.

I like the child accounts feature with 1 caveat. EA will not allow your kids to play games online till they are 16, and there is no way around it. Thus if your kids want to play Madden online, Need for speed multiplayer, Battlefield games etc, they will not be able to till 16 (they could play on your account if it was that important). You can control who their friends are and who they can hear in game chat. I think it is very important, as there are extremely cruel people playing and will verbally abuse your children, especially if they know children are playing (I know first hand as my kids when younger were given death threats, threatened to be raped, etc etc).

Xbox and PS3 Gamertag = Xerostomia
Wii = I'm too lazy to get the number
deveng is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 10-05-2019, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kevin g.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,034
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I added my kids as child accounts early on. Both my daughters in 2006 with my first Xbox 360 Pro. I had the same concerns, and wanted to oversee all aspects of their digital and gaming experience. Over all it went well...and it DID switch over when they became 18.



My son came later, and something changed. As he got older and interested in more adult games, that his friends were playing, I could only authorize certain games for him to play... with the biggest culprit being EA. The biggest problem is their support. you can't talk sense in to these people. I hate them with every fiber in me. I have tried several times to get his account straight and, age 13 is their allowed age, when things start to loosen...which is a crock, because he is now 14 and is actually blocked from his account. I should be able to hit them with a breach of contract, as I have purchased several EA Games that he cannot even play.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

kevin g. is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 10-08-2019, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rolltide1017's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 3,461
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Couldn't you just create an adult EA account or does it use the age of the Xbox account once they are linked?




Star Wars Battlefront 2 was one of the games they want to play. They play the offline modes but want to try the online modes. Is there anyway to get it to work or do you have to change their age on their Xbox accounts to get above the 13 requirement for EA?


Why can't EA follow the same parental controls of other games. The only thing their policy does is force people to create adult accounts for their kids, bypassing all parental controls.

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus

Last edited by rolltide1017; 10-08-2019 at 10:45 AM.
rolltide1017 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Xbox Area

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off