Gaming only HDTV suggestions? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By Jrocker23
  • 2 Post By RafaelSmith
  • 2 Post By RafaelSmith
  • 2 Post By Piker84

post #1 of 30 Old 10-02-2019, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Gaming only HDTV suggestions?

Due to eyesight problems....my current bedroom setup for console gaming is not working out.....I have 55 inch TCL 4k/HDR TV mounted on the wall....but bed/seating just too far away.

Works great for TV watching but when it comes to gaming....I end up having to sit on end of bed or even sometimes stand up to be able to read UI elements and such.

TV is mounted on wall...and really do not want to change anything with regard to our TV watching.

Our master bedroom is ridiculously large, so I have been given permission to set myself up a gaming corner in the bedroom...with a good recliner/chair I can move ....I am looking for quality monitor/TV probably in the 50-50in range.

I have both an XBOX One X and PS4 Pro. All I care about is gaming (4k/HDR). I have thought about just getting another TCL but might be able to go with one of the "higher" end Sony/LG/Samsung. Also kinda thinking about trying to be a little prepared for next gen consoles (i.e HDMI 2.1).

Looking for suggestions.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 10-02-2019, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
Due to eyesight problems....my current bedroom setup for console gaming is not working out.....I have 55 inch TCL 4k/HDR TV mounted on the wall....but bed/seating just too far away.

Works great for TV watching but when it comes to gaming....I end up having to sit on end of bed or even sometimes stand up to be able to read UI elements and such.

TV is mounted on wall...and really do not want to change anything with regard to our TV watching.

Our master bedroom is ridiculously large, so I have been given permission to set myself up a gaming corner in the bedroom...with a good recliner/chair I can move ....I am looking for quality monitor/TV probably in the 50-50in range.

I have both an XBOX One X and PS4 Pro. All I care about is gaming (4k/HDR). I have thought about just getting another TCL but might be able to go with one of the "higher" end Sony/LG/Samsung. Also kinda thinking about trying to be a little prepared for next gen consoles (i.e HDMI 2.1).

Looking for suggestions.

Thanks,
LG C9

4K Oled, hdr, dolby vision, hlg

Can use Xbox One X current features
VRR - variable refresh rate
ALLM - Auto low latency mode

HDMI 2.1

Getting updated to work with Nvidia g-sync for PC gaming

Over all one of the best TV's on the market

TV - LG C9, C8 & C6 - AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch
tanis38 likes this.

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
post #3 of 30 Old 10-02-2019, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocker23 View Post
LG C9

4K Oled, hdr, dolby vision, hlg

Can use Xbox One X current features
VRR - variable refresh rate
ALLM - Auto low latency mode

HDMI 2.1

Getting updated to work with Nvidia g-sync for PC gaming

Over all one of the best TV's on the market

Damn, I wish I had money again. That set looks great. I went with a TCL and got 18 months with it before I had issues with it. It was a lower end 4k/hdr TCL, so I guess you get what you pay for. I did put in some heavy use though. Have been looking at going back to LG and would really like an OLED model, but I may be out of the house if I get one!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 10-02-2019, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

Looking for suggestions.

Thanks,

Another vote for LG OLED C9/B9 or if don't need HDMI 2.1 C8/B8 for much more less! It's "good" (better) for your eyes too: https://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/n/LGs-OLE...-Certification

DOLBY ATMOS 5.2.4 - Yamaha RX-A2080 - Klipsch RP-280F - RP-450C - RP-250S - RP-140SA - R-112SW - SVS SB12-NSD - LG OLED 55B7 - HiMedia Q30 - Xbox One X SE
post #5 of 30 Old 10-02-2019, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the input. I have been looking at OLED. A little concerned about burn-in but what research i have done indicates it would not be a problem for me.

From a pure gaming perspective is the C9 really better than the B9? Spec wise they seem rather similar....except for the processor...which I have no clue would matter for gaming. I have always pretty much turned off most TV "processing" features.
post #6 of 30 Old 10-02-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I have been looking at OLED. A little concerned about burn-in but what research i have done indicates it would not be a problem for me.

From a pure gaming perspective is the C9 really better than the B9? Spec wise they seem rather similar....except for the processor...which I have no clue would matter for gaming. I have always pretty much turned off most TV "processing" features.

I think not much. B9 has a bit less Peak Brightness (but still quite good for HDR).

DOLBY ATMOS 5.2.4 - Yamaha RX-A2080 - Klipsch RP-280F - RP-450C - RP-250S - RP-140SA - R-112SW - SVS SB12-NSD - LG OLED 55B7 - HiMedia Q30 - Xbox One X SE
post #7 of 30 Old 10-03-2019, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks like OLED is my best choice. More $$ than I was hoping to spend but probably worth it.

Now its just decision on B9 or C9. Currently about $200 difference.

I wont be doing this until after 1st of the year so keeping an eye out for discounts.

Again, appreciate the advice.
Arutha_conDoin and Renatto like this.
post #8 of 30 Old 10-03-2019, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Looks like OLED is my best choice. More $$ than I was hoping to spend but probably worth it.

I wont be doing this until after 1st of the year so keeping an eye out for discounts.

For only $200 difference I would go with the C9 because it has a better processor

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
post #9 of 30 Old 10-03-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:

The C9 worth +200USD, I think (but not 300).

post #10 of 30 Old 10-03-2019, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I'm surprised at all the LG OLED votes in this thread. Although the LG C9/B9 is a fantastic display with low input lag, I still wouldn't use it for a dedicated gaming TV due to burn-in risk. You, like me, have a dedicated area to use a TV as a gaming device. I prefer to stick to TV's that I know won't burn in. Since most games have static HUD elements, I believe it would only be a matter of how long until it burns in, not if. I read about a user who had the interface of Rocket League permanently burned into their OLED screen, as well as another who had the red hearts from Breath of the Wild permanently burned in. With so many games these days taking upwards of 40+ hours to finish, it's far too easy to have those static elements on display for too long.

I own a Sony X900E for my dedicated gaming room. It's great for that, but obviously doesn't look as good as the OLED in my living room. There's a Hisense H9F series TV that I've had my eye on as a potential replacement to my Sony, and it's crazy that this Hisense is a better gaming TV when you consider how much more I paid for my Sony. Between the lower input lag and increased contrast ratio, the Hisense really stands out as a great option for those looking for a gaming TV while keeping it on the cheaper side.

Don't get me wrong here, I absolutely love my OLED, but I simply couldn't use it for gaming. I'd like to hear from users who have a dedicated gaming only OLED and have had theirs for 12-18+ months. Would be interested to see how many don't have any burn-in. It's different for most users who use them for a mix of viewing content, but as a dedicated gaming display I wouldn't advise to go OLED.
post #11 of 30 Old 10-03-2019, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker84 View Post
I'm surprised at all the LG OLED votes in this thread. Although the LG C9/B9 is a fantastic display with low input lag, I still wouldn't use it for a dedicated gaming TV due to burn-in risk. You, like me, have a dedicated area to use a TV as a gaming device. I prefer to stick to TV's that I know won't burn in. Since most games have static HUD elements, I believe it would only be a matter of how long until it burns in, not if. I read about a user who had the interface of Rocket League permanently burned into their OLED screen, as well as another who had the red hearts from Breath of the Wild permanently burned in. With so many games these days taking upwards of 40+ hours to finish, it's far too easy to have those static elements on display for too long.

I own a Sony X900E for my dedicated gaming room. It's great for that, but obviously doesn't look as good as the OLED in my living room. There's a Hisense H9F series TV that I've had my eye on as a potential replacement to my Sony, and it's crazy that this Hisense is a better gaming TV when you consider how much more I paid for my Sony. Between the lower input lag and increased contrast ratio, the Hisense really stands out as a great option for those looking for a gaming TV while keeping it on the cheaper side.

Don't get me wrong here, I absolutely love my OLED, but I simply couldn't use it for gaming. I'd like to hear from users who have a dedicated gaming only OLED and have had theirs for 12-18+ months. Would be interested to see how many don't have any burn-in. It's different for most users who use them for a mix of viewing content, but as a dedicated gaming display I wouldn't advise to go OLED.
I have an LG c6, c8 and c9. All bought when they released and I am a heavy gamer, Xbox, playstation & switch and I have had zero issues with burn in.

While burn in is possible, it would take a hell of a lot to get if you are playing various games and are playing one game like 10 hoursc straight in sessions every day.

post #12 of 30 Old 10-03-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
I have an LG c6, c8 and c9. All bought when they released and I am a heavy gamer, Xbox, playstation & switch and I have had zero issues with burn in.

While burn in is possible, it would take a hell of a lot to get if you are playing various games and are playing one game like 10 hoursc straight in sessions every day.

https://youtu.be/Sa0fc34ph5U

Thanks for the info! It's so refreshing to hear this from someone who uses their TV primarily for gaming. I will need to give that linked video a view later, but if it helps put my mind at ease I may end up with a second OLED here before the end of the year.
post #13 of 30 Old 10-03-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
I'm surprised at all the LG OLED votes in this thread.

but as a dedicated gaming display I wouldn't advise to go OLED.
I'm a gamer too... My B7 is almost 2 years old and I have 700 hours in FUT 18. You should check the Rtings burn-in test "COD" TV screen after 9000 hours... crystalclear! Even only COD, no break, no loading screen, no dashboard, no sitting in menu, no other usage. 100% COD. No comment.

post #14 of 30 Old 10-03-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatto View Post
I'm a gamer too... My B7 is almost 2 years old and I have 700 hours in FUT 18. You should check the Rtings burn-in test "COD" TV screen after 9000 hours... crystalclear! Even only COD, no break, no loading screen, no dashboard, no sitting in menu, no other usage. 100% COD. No comment.
Consider me impressed... another video to watch this evening. This is the kind of news I like to hear and haven't heard of until now. All I've seen is the bad stuff.

P.S. - this thread isn't helping my OLED addiction at all... it's making me want to go get another one for my gaming room as soon as a good sale is found.
post #15 of 30 Old 10-03-2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Consider me impressed... another video to watch this evening. This is the kind of news I like to hear and haven't heard of until now. All I've seen is the bad stuff.

P.S. - this thread isn't helping my OLED addiction at all... it's making me want to go get another one for my gaming room as soon as a good sale is found.
Her is the link for the details: https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real...d-burn-in-test

post #16 of 30 Old 10-04-2019, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I was concerned about burn in when I first starting researching OLED....but after watching and reading the tests from rtings.com and a few others, It is not something I will be concerned with. I am lucky if I can game for 2 hours sessions....let alone 10+.
Jrocker23 and Arutha_conDoin like this.
post #17 of 30 Old 10-11-2019, 12:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 733
Quote:
I was concerned about burn in when I first starting researching OLED....but after watching and reading the tests from rtings.com and a few others, It is not something I will be concerned with. I am lucky if I can game for 2 hours sessions....let alone 10+.
I think Max time for me these days is 4-5 hours before my A$$ gets to numb! After that I need a decent break before I do any more gaming for the day.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #18 of 30 Old 10-11-2019, 02:09 PM

I ended up getting a C9 today at a local store that was matching the online prices and also throwing in a $150 gift card, which let me get extended warranty coverage for almost no added cost. Those who have been gaming on the C9 for quite some time, what settings are you using? Which preset picture mode do you prefer? I know this years set has auto low latency mode, so it doesn't have to be in Game mode all the time. In our living room we've used Technicolor Expert for everything on our B7 and it looks fantastic.

This TV is also future proof with HDMI 2.1 on all ports. Not sure when or if I'll make use of that for gaming, but it's there in case. I'm a little concerned about how well the eARC will work for my surround sound. Heard many user's experiencing issue's, and we've had to use optical audio (limited to Dolby Digital) on our B7. I'll update with any strange findings after the weekend.
Arutha_conDoin and tanis38 like this.
post #19 of 30 Old 10-12-2019, 02:43 AM

Quote:
I ended up getting a C9 today at a local store that was matching the online prices and also throwing in a $150 gift card, which let me get extended warranty coverage for almost no added cost. Those who have been gaming on the C9 for quite some time, what settings are you using? Which preset picture mode do you prefer? I know this years set has auto low latency mode, so it doesn't have to be in Game mode all the time. In our living room we've used Technicolor Expert for everything on our B7 and it looks fantastic.

This TV is also future proof with HDMI 2.1 on all ports. Not sure when or if I'll make use of that for gaming, but it's there in case. I'm a little concerned about how well the eARC will work for my surround sound. Heard many user's experiencing issue's, and we've had to use optical audio (limited to Dolby Digital) on our B7. I'll update with any strange findings after the weekend.
Great! I have B7 too, so not the C9, but I think you can start with rtings settings: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c9-oled/settings

post #20 of 30 Old 10-14-2019, 07:31 AM

After a weekend with the C9 I am impressed. Gaming is working flawlessly. Lot's of games have options to lower HUD brightness which is helpful on the OLED's. The much improved contrast over my X900E makes a huge difference with picture quality, and the lower input lag is noticeable, especially in games like Rocket League.

My only complaint right now is the audio seems off when using ARC and the TV's built-in YouTube app. I haven't tested Netflix or Amazon yet. ARC always has issue's.
post #21 of 30 Old 10-14-2019, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
After a weekend with the C9 I am impressed. Gaming is working flawlessly. Lot's of games have options to lower HUD brightness which is helpful on the OLED's. The much improved contrast over my X900E makes a huge difference with picture quality, and the lower input lag is noticeable, especially in games like Rocket League.

My only complaint right now is the audio seems off when using ARC and the TV's built-in YouTube app. I haven't tested Netflix or Amazon yet. ARC always has issue's.
Go into audio settings and change HDMI audio out to "pass through''

This way the sound bar / receiver will do so processing.

Hope that helps

post #22 of 30 Old 10-14-2019, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I have a 65" B7A series LG television that has been just excellent. I do a lot of gaming on it, but it gets used for streaming television and 4k movies as well. Not a hint of burn in even after a 6+ hour gaming session. If you would have told me a few years ago that there was be a television technology that could put out such intensely bright HDR images and have no burn-in issues I wouldn't have believed you, but here we are.
post #23 of 30 Old 10-15-2019, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I plan to purchase a LG C9 this weekend

Now ...what to do about sound. I probably just go with TV speakers for now....don't have much room to work with...definitely will be limited to 2/3.1. I have an old HK 1710 AVR in the closet...might try to do something with that...but would need speakers and sub. Or maybe just go with a decent soundbar/sub....I am not all that into high quality sound for gaming...just something decent and at least better than TV crap speakers.
post #24 of 30 Old 10-15-2019, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
I plan to purchase a LG C9 this weekend

Now ...what to do about sound. I probably just go with TV speakers for now....don't have much room to work with...definitely will be limited to 2/3.1. I have an old HK 1710 AVR in the closet...might try to do something with that...but would need speakers and sub. Or maybe just go with a decent soundbar/sub....I am not all that into high quality sound for gaming...just something decent and at least better than TV crap speakers.

JMHO...but I would forget about a gaming speaker setup in the bedroom. You have already won 99% of the battle, with the wife ceding you a gaming corner LOL. You dump a surround setup in there and you will be ousted! I'd suggest you take a peak at a great set of bedroom cans like these: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/virtuo...gaming-headset
I demo'd a pair at microcenter...and they are awesome and unbelievably comfortable. Perfect for the setup you are describing. And the wife will even kiss you on the forehead for being so considerate of her.

Last edited by barrelbelly; 10-15-2019 at 12:37 PM.
post #25 of 30 Old 10-15-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Go into audio settings and change HDMI audio out to "pass through''

This way the sound bar / receiver will do so processing.

Hope that helps

I was excited to see if this fixed the audio synchronization, but it doesn't appear that my Yamaha RX-V383BL has an option for HDMI passthrough. Only settings I have in HDMI configuration is HDMI Control off/on, audio output off/on, 4K upscaling off/on, and TV Audio Input which let's you choose AV 1-3, or Audio 1-2 modes to use with ARC.

Still greatly enjoying this C9! I already sold my X900E last night to a young lad who was super excited to buy into a midrange TV for half the cost of a new one.
post #26 of 30 Old 10-15-2019, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was excited to see if this fixed the audio synchronization, but it doesn't appear that my Yamaha RX-V383BL has an option for HDMI passthrough. Only settings I have in HDMI configuration is HDMI Control off/on, audio output off/on, 4K upscaling off/on, and TV Audio Input which let's you choose AV 1-3, or Audio 1-2 modes to use with ARC.

Still greatly enjoying this C9! I already sold my X900E last night to a young lad who was super excited to buy into a midrange TV for half the cost of a new one.
Sorry I was referring to the tv Audio settings

post #27 of 30 Old 10-17-2019, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
JMHO...but I would forget about a gaming speaker setup in the bedroom. You have already won 99% of the battle, with the wife ceding you a gaming corner LOL. You dump a surround setup in there and you will be ousted! I'd suggest you take a peak at a great set of bedroom cans like these: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/virtuo...gaming-headset
I demo'd a pair at microcenter...and they are awesome and unbelievably comfortable. Perfect for the setup you are describing. And the wife will even kiss you on the forehead for being so considerate of her.
I have thought about headphones but to be honest....over the years I have wasted more $$ on headphones than I care to admit. Have yet to find any that I can wear for more than 15-20 min without some sorta discomfort, itching or pain.
post #28 of 30 Old 10-21-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Sorry I was referring to the tv Audio settings

I'm not having any luck finding this on the TV either. I only see options to switch between HDMI ARC or other options such as TV speakers only, TV + ARC, TV + Optical and things like that. No pass through.

I'll likely resort to using optical audio for YouTube. Again, my use case on this TV is 95% gaming and 5% YouTube so it's not a huge deal. For the content I would watch on YouTube I doubt I'd be missing out on anything. It's not like YouTube content has uncompressed audio formats anyway.
post #29 of 30 Old 10-21-2019, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Got my 55C9 this weekend. Spent most of yesterday setting it up with my XBOX One X.

So far I am very pleased. Too my surprise the TV speakers are not too bad...as far as TV speakers go, I have heard far far far worse.

Have not done any tweaking of settings beyond turning off the obvious processing stuff.

Still not sure on what Color Temp mode I prefer for HDR gaming: Medium or Warm2. Warm2 seems to be to "yellowish" to my poor ol eyes for the few games I tried.

All green checks show up on the XB1. I left it as it was configured before: 8bit/standard color space/allow 4:2:2/game mode/VRR.

About sound....for XB1 X connected directly to TV...and only using TV speakers....what is best way to configure the audio settings on the X?
post #30 of 30 Old 10-21-2019, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Got my 55C9 this weekend. Spent most of yesterday setting it up with my XBOX One X.

So far I am very pleased. Too my surprise the TV speakers are not too bad...as far as TV speakers go, I have heard far far far worse.

Have not done any tweaking of settings beyond turning off the obvious processing stuff.

Still not sure on what Color Temp mode I prefer for HDR gaming: Medium or Warm2. Warm2 seems to be to "yellowish" to my poor ol eyes for the few games I tried.

All green checks show up on the XB1. I left it as it was configured before: 8bit/standard color space/allow 4:2:2/game mode/VRR.

About sound....for XB1 X connected directly to TV...and only using TV speakers....what is best way to configure the audio settings on the X?
Since you don't have any surround system or home theater connected, just leave the xbox audio to it's standard settings.

Just make sure under disc & Blu-ray that the option to let your receiver do the decoding is not checked.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page