post #31 of 56 Old 12-17-2019, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
Perhaps....but since when does a console generation release the more powerful/better version first?

That said...i diskless version would be a option I would wait for.
None of this is standard and why does any company have to follow a standard that any company or industry did in the past? We can say the same for Apple and the iPad. Last year they released the "New iPad" and then this year released an older model with a with a few upgrades.

The 5.0 is here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 Old 12-17-2019, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 1034
Quote:
Perhaps....but since when does a console generation release the more powerful/better version first?

That said...i diskless version would be a option I would wait for.

The launch PS3 was arguably a better version than the later revisions as it had built in hardware backward compatibility. The later versions had it removed.

Bringing it back to a future more powerful Xbox I can see two reason they would make a more powerful version. They are significantly over powered by the PS5 which does not seem likely this time around. Or if 8K becomes as popular as 4K became this generation which gave Phil Spencer the justification to go ahead with the X.
post #33 of 56 Old 12-18-2019, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 666
I dont get all the negative feedback about the size........calling it BIG, HUGE?? seriously?

From what I gather the new controller is slightly smaller than the current ones....from looking at pic the Series X looks to be 3 controllers by 1 controller in size.......so roughly a tad bigger than a tissue box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 56 Old 12-18-2019, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I'm not really buying into the 8k and VRR stuff. I'm just crossing my fingers that we get 4k @ 60fps. If they can hit that consistently, graphics past that are beyond the point of diminishing returns for me. Then its all about titles and creativity.
SaskCanesFan likes this.
post #35 of 56 Old 12-18-2019, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The 5.0 is here
post #36 of 56 Old 12-18-2019, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_hawks_23 View Post
I'm not really buying into the 8k and VRR stuff. I'm just crossing my fingers that we get 4k @ 60fps. If they can hit that consistently, graphics past that are beyond the point of diminishing returns for me. Then its all about titles and creativity.
Yeah ...I think this time for me at least...which console I get first will come down 100% to titles...specifically single player story based games. I think this once again will be PS5...i just have not seen anything indicating that MS has even attempted let alone come close to anything to compete with the likes of GoW, Last of Us, Spiderman, Zero Dawn, yada yada. I can only live on Forza for so long =P
Piker84 likes this.
post #37 of 56 Old 12-18-2019, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Yeah ...I think this time for me at least...which console I get first will come down 100% to titles...specifically single player story based games. I think this once again will be PS5...i just have not seen anything indicating that MS has even attempted let alone come close to anything to compete with the likes of GoW, Last of Us, Spiderman, Zero Dawn, yada yada. I can only live on Forza for so long =P
MS has purchased several studios over the last 18-24 months. There will be way more exclusives coming out next gen. Should have something for everybody.

I agree that Spiderman and Horizon were terrific. GoW just felt like yet another bloated GoW game, and Naughty Dog is basically Marvel with a formulaic approach. Their games are story-driven set pieces. When you look at the actual gameplay, it's very simplistic and offers nothing new.

Quote:
Agree with this. I'm guessing most games will be 4k/30 frames. Don't see the point of 8k for the next X years, unless people are turning entire walls into video screens in their home.
Sorax and SaskCanesFan like this.
post #38 of 56 Old 12-20-2019, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Agree about 8K, but I find VRR very important for high-performance gaming. Variable refresh coupled with 4K/120Hz will eventually be a sweet spot for both PC and console gaming. Great feel, great image.
SaskCanesFan likes this.
post #39 of 56 Old 01-06-2020, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 1034
Picture of the back of the console shown at CES 2020

subacabra likes this.
post #40 of 56 Old 01-06-2020, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post
Picture of the back of the console shown at CES 2020

Already confirmed fake by AMD themselves saying they pulled the image from another site not verified by MS

The 5.0 is here
post #41 of 56 Old 01-07-2020, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1204 Post(s)
Liked: 591
I skipped The Xbox One X so I am definitely getting the Xbox Series X at release, I am willing to pay up to $650. I saw the tweet that as sent out with the new processor and it said Scarlett and 8k on it. I am a not huge gamer but have always had a Xbox in my setup. I already have a Marantz 8805 which will get the HDMi 2.1 upgrade in June, going to get a 8k OLED either in 2020 or 2021 so a xbox with HDMI 2.1 makes sense. I will definitely play more games if the graphics are better as well.
post #42 of 56 Old 01-07-2020, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 751
I'm not confident at all the system will do 8k gaming. I think it will do 8k movie play black. The rumored 12TF on the GPU does not seem to be enough to handle 8K for gaming at a decent FPS.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
mboojigga and SaskCanesFan like this.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides

Last edited by Arutha_conDoin; 01-08-2020 at 06:53 AM.
post #43 of 56 Old 01-07-2020, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Plus it just says 8K capable. Everything with 2.1 is 8K capable. Pretty sure the focus is [email protected] as the standard

The 5.0 is here
post #44 of 56 Old 01-15-2020, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thoughts on MS not having a true 1st party exclusive to take advantage of the series X for 1-2 years after launch since they will be supporting Xbox one on up? Speculation is Graphics will be u upgraded as will resolution and framerate. Advanced AI and physics Misty likely will not and the NVME storage will not be utilized.

https://www.gamesradar.com/xbox-seri...compatibility/

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides

Last edited by Arutha_conDoin; 01-15-2020 at 11:54 PM.
post #45 of 56 Old 01-15-2020, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I see it the same as why we bought PC computers for the better version of the consoles. If this is the case it is simple. Wait until you see a game after two years that is taking full advantage or Series X only. Or, get the best version over the One X if it is a drastic difference.

The 5.0 is here
post #46 of 56 Old 01-15-2020, 11:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 336
I see no down side to this. This allows "launch" games to have bigger budgets as the install base is already there to buy the games. This means better games out the gate for those that do buy the new system at launch. You no longer have to run out and buy a new console at launch just to have the latest games. If you did just buy into say and Xbox One X you don't get left out in the cold. And best of all it gives them an incentive to make the Series X version the best it can be so that you have a reason to upgrade.

I recently finished Witcher 3 on Xbox One X. 4K HDR all that goodness. Yet, it could still look better on a high end PC. However, it can also be scaled down to be playable on a Nintendo Switch. If a game of that size and scope has that kind of range then I am not the least bit worried that Halo Infinite can do be scaled between generations.

Looking back at launch titles from past generations that weren't cross platform, how many of them would be in your top 100 games of all time list? Maybe a few? How many are in your top 5? Sticking to recent memory, the PS4 had Killzone and Knack at launch. They are fine games but we had just come off of The Last of Us on PS3. They don't hold a candle to that game. Instead, most people were playing cross platform games like Assassin's Creed, Battlefront, Cod, Destiny. Heck, even Titanfall was cross platform.

While, I hope Sony has some ace up it's sleeve for the launch of PS5. I just have my doubts it's going to be one of their best. If your goal is to get people to buy the new hardware right away then you have to have some big exclusives. (Or so they say) Sony might just have a great launch line up. But that hasn't really been the case historically. Sony is the market leader and people are going to want the new PlayStation regardless. However, Xbox has a new approach and is less worried about moving people into new hardware as quickly as they may have been in the past. Instead, they just want you tied to their services. As long as you are playing their games, regardless of where, they are happy to take your money. I think it's not only smart but also consumer friendly.

Last edited by stitch1; 01-16-2020 at 11:01 AM.
post #47 of 56 Old 01-15-2020, 11:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I agree as well. I love the consumer friendliness of the decision. It will still be a day one purchase for me. I think a lot of the counter argument articles I have read are blowing it way out of proportion.

SaskCanesFan likes this.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #48 of 56 Old 01-25-2020, 02:23 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks interested. Have purposely waiting to upgrade my the Xbox (Xbox One X) until this comes out. I may need to update my TV to match. The one thing that irks me a bit with all of this is what will the sound be like? I use some pretty decent headphones for gaming but I still feel like I need more from the sound to feel fully immersed. Anyway, waiting for this with baited beath.

Downside - I may need a new cabinet! lol

Love my family, love audio, have a thing for fizzy sweets.
post #49 of 56 Old 01-27-2020, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 131
day one purchase.
GobbityGotz likes this.
post #50 of 56 Old 02-04-2020, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 950
hoping to see some rumours on extra widescreen support for games - nothing yet - be so sweet on my 2:35 scope screen

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #51 of 56 Old 02-11-2020, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I definitely consider the Xbox Series X if it has worthy must-play 1st/2nd party exclusive games, otherwise I might skip this one & return home to PlayStation with the PS5 (my last PlayStation console was the PS2). Xbox One in terms of exclusive games was indeed a let down of a console. I mean Halo was better at Bungie's hands than 343 Industries, Gears of War 4 & 5 were both good but they didn't really do anything new to the franchise, Forza is still a great racing franchise though, Crackdown 3 is just mediocre at best, etc. At least the Xbox One did gave us one brand new great franchise and that is Ori and the Blind Forest, really looking forward to the sequel.

America elevates you to another level.
post #52 of 56 Old 02-14-2020, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I expect for me this next gen will be like the current one where I end up with both PS5 and XBSex...Except this time I will probably get the PS5 first because of their 1st party games that I am interested in. XB will probably be what I use for everything else ...unless for some reason the new PS5 controller and such is as good as the XB controllers....then I actually might skip XBox this time around.
post #53 of 56 Old 02-14-2020, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
I expect for me this next gen will be like the current one where I end up with both PS5 and XBSex...Except this time I will probably get the PS5 first because of their 1st party games that I am interested in. XB will probably be what I use for everything else ...unless for some reason the new PS5 controller and such is as good as the XB controllers....then I actually might skip XBox this time around.
I'll be buying both. The more powerful console will get all the multiplats since visuals and/or performance should be better. The only way I'll get a multiplat on the weaker console is if my brother in law only buys that system and the game has co-op or multiplayer.
post #54 of 56 Old 02-14-2020, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

After this last generation I'll be skipping the PS5. I rarely play the PS4. Their exclusives don't do much for me and I usually end up playing multiplat or more Xbox stuff. The only franchise I really have to have the uncharted series and I can skip that for awhile. So it's the XboxSex for me

barrelbelly likes this.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #55 of 56 Old 02-17-2020, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 247
I miss gaming. Some of this stuff just got too complicated IMO and took the fun out of it. I remember playing Rainbow six 3 on the original XBOX and on XBOX live. Hours of fun, and it was simple. A friend of mine has XBOX One and it took him an entire day to install a game on it. It just seems like sometimes, less is more. That's partially why I love the switch. Simple and fun.

With that being said, I think I'm gonna give this console a shot. I miss playing these games. I just hope I'm wrong about the over-complicated thing.
post #56 of 56 Old Yesterday, 02:12 AM

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
I miss gaming. Some of this stuff just got too complicated IMO and took the fun out of it. I remember playing Rainbow six 3 on the original XBOX and on XBOX live. Hours of fun, and it was simple. A friend of mine has XBOX One and it took him an entire day to install a game on it. It just seems like sometimes, less is more. That's partially why I love the switch. Simple and fun.

With that being said, I think I'm gonna give this console a shot. I miss playing these games. I just hope I'm wrong about the over-complicated thing.
Should be a great time to jump back in. Both Xbox Series X and PS5 will have fast solid-state drives. Game installs and load times will definitely be improved.
Blackdevil77 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page