Liked: 175
CPU 8x Cores @ 3.8 GHz (3.6 GHz w/ SMT) Custom Zen 2 CPU
GPU 12 TFLOPS, 52 CUs @ 1.825 GHz Custom RDNA 2 GPU
Die Size 360.45 mm2
Process 7nm Enhanced
Memory 16 GB GDDR6 w/ 320b bus
Memory Bandwidth 10GB @ 560 GB/s, 6GB @ 336 GB/s
Internal Storage 1 TB Custom NVME SSD
I/O Throughput 2.4 GB/s (Raw), 4.8 GB/s (Compressed, with custom hardware decompression block)
Expandable Storage 1 TB Expansion Card (matches internal storage exactly)
External Storage USB 3.2 External HDD Support
Optical Drive 4K UHD Blu-Ray Drive
Performance Target 4K @ 60 FPS, Up to 120 FPS

I'm very impressed by the specs. Those clock speeds are incredible.

Source: Xbox Series X: A Closer Look at the Technology Powering the Next Generation

LG 77" CX; LG 65” E6 OLED; Xbox One X; LG 55" LM7600 LCD; Roku Ultra
Onkyo TX-NR656; Thenaudio shArc
Pioneer SP-BS22A-LR (L/R); Infinity Primus PC351 (C); Infinity Primus P143BK (S-L/R)
Gamer Tag: Todd Stevens

Last edited by Sorax; 03-16-2020 at 09:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 172 Old 03-16-2020, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked: 772
I'm not too sure about the external 1TB external card. I get the reason behind it, but the price is going to be a problem since it's going to be proprietary. I guess I can always store games on an external HDD and move games to the internal drive when I'm ready to play. Sadly I've just gotten used to keeping a **** ton of games on my 4TB external drive.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #93 of 172 Old 03-17-2020, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 1465
https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-se...next-gen-games

Quote:
During today’s big Xbox Series X spec reveal, Microsoft confirmed that the mystery slot in the back of the upcoming console will be used to house a proprietary NVMe SSD card designed to increase the internal storage, which is currently 1TB by default. However, you’ll still be able to use USB 3.1 and external HDD for last-gen games.
As detailed in a Digital Foundry report on the Xbox Series X, the next-gen console utilizes “Velocity Architecture” that turns games storage into additional memory. While internal storage for the Xbox Series X will be set at 1TB, Microsoft is offering a custom solution.

Developers Share What Most Excites Them About Next-Gen Tech

“My team and I at Capcom are paying close attention to ray tracing technology. We have many ideas on how to utilize it, not just for lighting, but for other elements such as sound and environment expression. We’re also aware technology like 8K and GPU can expand its capabilities even further. At the end of the day, we want to make sure these technologies are helping us make the best possible Resident Evil game experiences.” - Jun Takeuchi, Producer at Capcom

“Any advancements in terms of physical expression including ray tracing, are fascinating and expand the possibilities for art design. Interactive experiences are a core component in video games, with graphics and art playing an important part in creating an immersive game world. Lighting technology and compositing tools offer necessary additions to the visuals that help create an even more immersive, unique experience for players.

Advancements in graphics resolution allow game developers to create more clear images and have dramatically increased the amount of on-screen data players can receive. I think that the number of highly interactive games has increased as a result of this large amount of data that the latest technology is capable of rendering. As 8K becomes more mainstream moving forward, the data capacity will only increase and lead to even more highly interactive game designs in the future.”
- Kaname Fujioka, Executive Director at Capcom

“Advances on globally accessible scene descriptions are truly exciting, and we have only seen a glimpse of what can be done with that. In addition to robust light transport techniques, these advances open possibilities for accurate simulation of fluids and audio, for instance. There are also going to be possibilities for gameplay mechanics that are more aware of the world around the player and take advantage of trained networks.” - Tatu Aalto, Lead Graphics Programmer at Remedy Entertainment

“The answer for me is still High Dynamic Range support. Game engines are largely lagging a bit here, and largely only take advantage of the additional brightness but not the expanded color space. More colors matter: realistic games want them to look even more realistic, and stylized games want them too to expand how wild or vivid they can look.

Availability of good HDR monitors with a reasonable price has been a huge bottleneck for the teams building the games. Outfitting everyone on the team with an HDR display is now a reasonable thing to do and that is key to getting all of the art in the game built properly to take advantage of all HDR.” - Sean Cavanaugh, Research and Development at Gearbox Software

“We are particularly excited about the depth of immersion next-gen will bring to players through our games, both through graphics and sound. This will be a whole new level of player experience!” - Patrick Klaus, Vice President and General Manager at EA Motive Studio

“With new technologies comes new ways of expression, and I think with next-gen we will see creatives taking a bolder leap to craft a wider variety of emotional experiences for players. We have recently seen a surge of comedy games (with comedic gameplay) which was not common five years ago. Next-gen will certainly deliver on more sub-genres to the emotions and styles of play we may not have experienced before.” - Jenova Chen, President, Co-Founder, and Creative Director at ThatGameCompany
Owners will be able to use proprietary NVMe SSD cartridges to increase the storage capacity. However, the SSD will only be necessary for Xbox Series X games specifically because of the need to optimize next-gen titles for Velocity Architecture.

Microsoft’s Larry Hryb revealed in a Tweet that owners can continue to use USB3.1 and external HDD to run Xbox One, Xbox 360, and original Xbox games directly from the external device. This should mean that players who already use external storage devices to house Xbox One or older generation games can easily migrate them to the Xbox Series X.

A potential downside of the proprietary NVMe SSD, however, is that buyers will likely only be able to purchase the SSD cartridges directly from Microsoft or official partners. Meaning you likely can’t just purchase third-party alternatives that could potentially be cheaper or more readily available.

With new games easily clearing 100GB of storage, space will become more valuable as game generations progress. But without an official price for the NVMe SSD, it remains to be seen what financial impact this will have on Series X owners.
According to this article only legacy titles from previous generations will be able to be stored on external storage through USB, not newer titles which will require the faster internal or proprietary storage. (Which makes sense given the speed required for a lot of the features.)

Hopefully Microsoft will allow 3rd party manufacturers SKU's to be compatible with the NVMe "card slot".
DavidinCT and DaverJ like this.

XBOX LIVE - Kenshiro 26
PSN | Origin - Kenshiro26
Steam | Uplay - Kenshiro_26
Battle.net - Kenshiro26#1462
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 172 Old 03-17-2020, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshiro 26 View Post
https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-se...next-gen-games According to this article only legacy titles from previous generations will be able to be stored on external storage through USB
You can store any game on any drive. Games built specifically for the Series X platform can only be run from NVMe storage, given they're designed with the expectation of 2.4 GB/s I/O bandwidth.

Right now, with my Xbox X, I use an external 512GB SSD for the games I'm actively playing. And then move them to my 8TB hard drive when I'm not. It's never been an issue.

Quote:
You can continue to use your USB 3.1+ external hard drives on Xbox Series X & run Xbox One, 360 and OG Xbox games directly from the external USB HDD. Games optimized for Xbox Series X & Velocity Architecture need to be run from the internal SSD or the Expandable Storage Drive
Source

Pioneer SP-BS22A-LR (L/R); Infinity Primus PC351 (C); Infinity Primus P143BK (S-L/R)
post #95 of 172 Old 03-17-2020, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2070 Post(s)
Liked: 4261
Any guesses of the price of Microsoft's 1TB NVMe cartridge? I'm thinking around ~$200, and supplies will be limited.
post #96 of 172 Old 03-17-2020, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
Any guesses of the price of Microsoft's 1TB NVMe cartridge? I'm thinking around ~$200, and supplies will be limited.
Based on the shared images, I estimate it's based on an M.2 2242 module. Seagate's current offerings don't appear to include this form factor. But for companies that do, I see MSRPs of up to $270. Although on newegg, they can be had for ~$160. So I think $200 is in the realm of possibility but so is ~$150.

post #97 of 172 Old 03-17-2020, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1970 Post(s)
Liked: 5783
post #98 of 172 Old 03-28-2020, 12:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

With the External SDD serving as storage drive I can live with swapping games for a bit until the External NVMe Cartridges hit a certain price point or increase in size 2TB or bigger in size. I think I'll just limit to 5 game installs and try and get my playtime out of them. Once I notice I'm not playing a certain game as much move to the SSD and put something else in. Hell maybe I'll not buy as many time around! Though GamePass has been good about doing that lately.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #99 of 172 Old 03-30-2020, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
With the External SDD serving as storage drive I can live with swapping games for a bit until the External NVMe Cartridges hit a certain price point or increase in size 2TB or bigger in size. I think I'll just limit to 5 game installs and try and get my playtime out of them. Once I notice I'm not playing a certain game as much move to the SSD and put something else in. Hell maybe I'll not buy as many time around! Though GamePass has been good about doing that lately.
You can hookup an external USB and swap games you're not playing to that, then transfer them back to the internal SSD once you want to play them. You may have already known that though. I play on using a 5-8TB external for storage so I don't have to keep re-downloading games.

Xbox Live: PikturePerfekt
PSN: PikturePerfekt07
post #100 of 172 Old 03-30-2020, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamouflage View Post
You can hookup an external USB and swap games you're not playing to that, then transfer them back to the internal SSD once you want to play them. You may have already known that though. I play on using a 5-8TB external for storage so I don't have to keep re-downloading games.
Yep that's what I plan to do. I have a 4TB external that I may keep keep with my X and upgrade to a 8TB external for the SeX. You can never have enough space!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
kamouflage likes this.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #101 of 172 Old 04-12-2020, 01:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well after seeing the Dualsense 4 controller, totally on board for a Xbox SeX day 1 purchase. White is not what I want for a controller. I remember those on my 360 and they turned gray way to quick! Besides highly likely hood it turns orange with Cheetos and Dorito Nacho Cheese as well!
bungi43 likes this.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #102 of 172 Old 04-12-2020, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1595
Does anyone know how this new console handles for UHDBR discs HDR? Is it as sophisticated as stand alone players? I expect it to be.

Also , streaming Atmos ... has “fake” atmos been fixed for it?

Sent from my iPhone 11Pro using Tapatalk
post #103 of 172 Old 04-12-2020, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Well after seeing the Dualsense 4 controller, totally on board for a Xbox SeX day 1 purchase. White is not what I want for a controller. I remember those on my 360 and they turned gray way to quick! Besides highly likely hood it turns orange with Cheetos and Dorito Nacho Cheese as well!
The controller being white makes me fear the console will also be white. Nothing like blacking out an entertainment area to place a big white box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Does anyone know how this new console handles for UHDBR discs HDR? Is it as sophisticated as stand alone players? I expect it to be.

Also , streaming Atmos ... has “fake” atmos been fixed for it?

I'd imagine the HDR will be as good as Xbox One X.
post #104 of 172 Old 04-12-2020, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Anyone hear if the Xbox Series X UHD blu-ray player will support Dolby Vision for movies? It really bothered be that the only option on the Xbox One X blu-ray player was HDR, while supporting Dolby Vision for streaming.
mtbdudex likes this.
post #105 of 172 Old 04-13-2020, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spewdom View Post

Not good enough!
Not raising the bar at all for HDR processing with a next gen platform truly is missing the mark.
Are you an insider with a beta unit?

post #106 of 172 Old 04-13-2020, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

Not good enough!
Not raising the bar at all for HDR processing with a next gen platform truly is missing the mark.

All Microsoft has talked about regarding HDR on Series X is the new machine learning algorithm using Gears 5's HDR implementation to infer a full HDR implementation from SDR content on any backwards compatible game. Which sounds amazing.
post #107 of 172 Old 04-20-2020, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Not good enough!

No such thing, and if he was, he'd be under NDA. I really hope the Series X launches with better home theater features (especially the option to disable "always-on" fake Atmos) but I'm not holding my breath as their focus this gen is squarely on gaming, which I understand after their troubles this gen.
DaverJ and FizzydizzyJF69 like this.

Pioneer SC-LX801 | Xbox One X | Rega P3 Turntable | Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 L/R, Reference AV C | RSL CG3 surrounds | 4x RSL C34E Atmos in-ceilings | HSU VTF-3 MK5 subwoofer | Epson 5050ub | Elite Screens 120" drop-down | Pioneer Kuro KRP-500m
post #108 of 172 Old 04-28-2020, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern_Lights View Post
No such thing, and if he was, he'd be under NDA. I really hope the Series X launches with better home theater features (especially the option to disable "always-on" fake Atmos) but I'm not holding my breath as their focus this gen is squarely on gaming, which I understand after their troubles this gen.
Would also love this. We have our Xbox s in the living room as I don't believe in my child having it in his bedroom so it doubles as a home theatre system as well. Waiting to see what it brings before I upgrade anything else in my theatre set-up.

Love my family, love audio, have a thing for fizzy sweets.
post #109 of 172 Old 04-30-2020, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 1465
https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1255889762864361472

DaverJ and Sorax like this.

XBOX LIVE - Kenshiro 26
PSN | Origin - Kenshiro26
Steam | Uplay - Kenshiro_26
Battle.net - Kenshiro26#1462
post #110 of 172 Old 05-01-2020, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 1050
Ubisoft confirms they will be showing game play of Assassin’s Creed Valhalla at this event.

https://twitter.com/ubisoftnordic/st...468763136?s=20
DaverJ likes this.
post #111 of 172 Old 05-01-2020, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Aaron Greenberg tweeted this is a partner gameplay event. I think it's reasonable to conclude the 1st party efforts are being saved for something in June, which would have been their E3 presentation.

Getting the first next-gen gameplay of AC Valhalla makes it a big event. It's really the first next-gameplay period, and will get attention from the whole industry. I'm interested to see which other partners display. They would have been trusted to have had Series X dev kits for a significant amount of time. And I do hope we get their impressions of developing for the hardware and it's potential. Of course, it'll be in marketingese but there's usually nuggets of data to be mined.

spid and Arutha_conDoin like this.

post #112 of 172 Old 05-03-2020, 10:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I heard rumors there may be a couple of 1st party titles to be shown at this event as well. I also think they will show a couple that we already know about and the most obvious one is going to be Halo Infinite, and maybe some more Hellblade 2. As far the event in June. I am hoping they announce a new studio.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #113 of 172 Old 05-04-2020, 01:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I heard rumors there may be a couple of 1st party titles to be shown at this event as well. I also think they will show a couple that we already know about and the most obvious one is going to be Halo Infinite, and maybe some more Hellblade 2. As far the event in June. I am hoping they announce a new studio.
Where's that rumor from? Greenberg already stated MS will have a separate summer event for first-party games.

I am excited to see Halo Infinite gameplay on Series X, though. I dislike that it's cross-gen, but I understand why. I want Halo CE style open areas with a feeling of exploration with insane graphics. Just cruise around in a Warthog with my brother on the .50 cal via online co-op, looking for aliens to mow down.
post #114 of 172 Old 05-04-2020, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Where's that rumor from? Greenberg already stated MS will have a separate summer event for first-party games.

I am excited to see Halo Infinite gameplay on Series X, though. I dislike that it's cross-gen, but I understand why. I want Halo CE style open areas with a feeling of exploration with insane graphics. Just cruise around in a Warthog with my brother on the .50 cal via online co-op, looking for aliens to mow down.
Sorry, that rumor was before Greenberg's post, so Greenberg effectively squashed it. I didn't realize Greenberg had posted afterwards.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #115 of 172 Old 05-05-2020, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Xbox 20/20: Join Us as We Look into the Future of Xbox
Quote:
For the Xbox 20/20 May update, we will focus on giving you a first look at next-gen gameplay, trailers and sneak peeks from a wide variety of publishing partners and independent developers across the globe and industry, including Ubisoft’s recently announced Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, and hear from game creators about what they’re doing with their games on Xbox Series X.

We’ll be confirming games that utilize our new Smart Delivery feature, which ensures that you always play the best version of the games you own for your console, across generations. And all the games you’ll see will be Xbox Series X Optimized, meaning they are built to take advantage of the powerful Xbox Series X features that make games look and feel incredible, including 4K resolution at up to 120 frames per second, DirectStorage, hardware-accelerated DirectX raytracing, super-fast load times and much more.

In July, we will dedicate time to focus on the incredible games coming from Xbox Game Studios. A number of our studio teams are looking forward to sharing first looks at new gameplay, insights from development teams being optimized for Xbox Series X, and brand-new game announcements. We cannot wait to share this initial look at what some of those teams are working on.

post #116 of 172 Old 05-05-2020, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Unreal Engine 4.25 released and has support for Series X and PS5. They show a screenshot of Hellblade II in the ray-traced images. If Hellblade II can get anywhere close to that announcement trailer I'll pass out from screaming.

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/b...-4-25-released
Sorax likes this.
post #117 of 172 Old 05-05-2020, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just start the pre-orders already! I'm not even worried if I get mine on day one, but I am hoping to get it from the MS store online so I can hopefully get MS points and get a free game out of purchase
barrelbelly likes this.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #118 of 172 Old 05-05-2020, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just start the pre-orders already! I'm not even worried if I get mine on day one, but I am hoping to get it from the MS store online so I can hopefully get MS points and get a free game out of purchase
Good thinking. I love me some MS points

I'm excited to learn everything about these consoles. But I would really like to just get my pre-order locked in. I hope that happens during the June event.
barrelbelly likes this.

post #119 of 172 Old 05-05-2020, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
Amen! You made me stop and think just how MS is going to pull off a high profile launch like this in the face of a disastrous Holiday shopping cycle (pandemic). And your comment made the obvious answer just jump off the page. It will likely be a limited Holiday release through the MS Store, and Amazon.com. And that will be totally based on fulfilling all preorders. Meaning all of the initial production run will be driven toward 'mail delivery' within a loose preorder window. That will drive up early demand to gigantic proportions! Phase 2 of the launch (Q1of 2021) will likely still be driven by preorders; but will also include a very select band of their prestige retail partners (GameStop...& other gaming retailers). That will allow them to start fulfilling the 'Trade-in' markets. Q2 of 2021 will likely be full blown rollout to all distribution channels. I could easily see them using a phased rollout approach like that as opposed to blasting it out everywhere over the holiday cycle. Because 'social distancing' may be even a more acute imperative later in the year.

My point...preorders may very well be the only way to snag this beast for awhile.

Last edited by barrelbelly; 05-05-2020 at 05:29 PM.
post #120 of 172 Old 05-06-2020, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I have to assume that they will make a limited edition Halo Infinite version. I usually don't care about limited edition versions, but recently they have being doing a superb job with them. The Gear 5 limited edition one is spectacular, and the upcoming Cyberpunk one looks really good as well. I have to believe that the game that put the Xbox on the map will have a unique console and that is what I want.

That and a limited edition Elite controller, ver 2.0. The Gears of War limited edition controller was almost a piece of art with all the laser etching.
Lonewolf7002 likes this.

Xbox and PS3 Gamertag = Xerostomia
Wii = I'm too lazy to get the number
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page