Raised black levels in hdr gaming on new lg c9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By RafaelSmith
  • 1 Post By Jrocker23

post #1 of 20 Old 12-14-2019, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Raised black levels in hdr gaming on new lg c9

Anyone else have raised black levels in hdr gaming in a dark room? I see this clearly on loading screens that are supposed to black. Also, games just don't have that oled look to them and are slightly washed out . Brightness at 48 sort of fixes it but it still does not look right. I am not sure what's going on because my settings are accurate. I am using hdr cinema mode. All the picture modes have this issue . I also made sure black level is on low.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-14-2019, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by oledgaming432 View Post
Anyone else have raised black levels in hdr gaming in a dark room? I see this clearly on loading screens that are supposed to black. Also, games just don't have that oled look to them and are slightly washed out . Brightness at 48 sort of fixes it but it still does not look right. I am not sure what's going on because my settings are accurate. I am using hdr cinema mode. All the picture modes have this issue . I also made sure black level is on low.
I have a c9 and notice this as well on my xbox one x but my ps4 pro seems legit. I noticed it alot on mk11 during the load screens and they were gray but once I turn brightness down to 49 everything is good. On ps4 pro loading screens from the games I've played have been pitch black at default 50 and I use hdr game mode on both systems. I've tried hdr cinema just to see if it was strictly hdr game mode raising black levels but it did the same as the hdr game mode. I've asked people in the c9 thread about this but it falls on deaf ears. Certain movies ie Lucy in hdr has gray opening credit grays but the black bars on top and bottom are pitch black so that leads me to think it's the movie itself the way it was mastered because if the black bars top and bottom are pitch black then it makes sense that it's the movie itself if the middle of the opening credits are gray is a movies mastering problem or something

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 20 Old 12-14-2019, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by oledgaming432 View Post
What console?

I have to issues with my Xbox one x.

Im hooked straight to tv HDMI 3 then tv HDMI 2 out to avr.

I have Allm & vrr enabled.

I use cinema mode (not home version) for dolby vision since that is most accurate but for HDR I use technicolor

My PS4 pro I use Technicolor HDR & use the PS4 pro HDR settings option to tune in the picture.

LG C9, C8, C6 w/Pioneer SC-LX502 AVR, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Nintendo Switch

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 12-14-2019, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocker23 View Post
What console?

I have to issues with my Xbox one x.

I have Allm & vrr enabled.

I use cinema mode (not home version) for dolby vision since that is most accurate but for HDR I use technicolor

My PS4 pro I use Technicolor HDR & use the PS4 pro HDR settings option to tune in the picture.

I see this on ps4 pro and xbox one x games . Man of Medan on ps4 has black letter box bars, and they are completely grey in a dark room and the whole image is washed out. In sdr the bars are black and picture has amazing contrast. Xbox one x games all have that lcd grey look to them.
post #5 of 20 Old 12-18-2019, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

I haven't noticed any rising black problems in my games yet, but I do have a couple questions based on the above.

What is the benefit from running your console straight to HDMI 3 and then tv HDMI 2 out to the AVR? I have been running TV to HDMI 3 and then both my game consoles are hooked up to the receiver.

I see you use Technicolor HDR video setting on your PS4 Pro. I've been using Game Mode, despite the fact the colors aren't the most accurate, as I thought that was the only way to get the lowest input lag. Does the C9 automatically still kick into low input lag mode on other video modes?
post #6 of 20 Old 12-18-2019, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker84 View Post
I haven't noticed any rising black problems in my games yet, but I do have a couple questions based on the above.

What is the benefit from running your console straight to HDMI 3 and then tv HDMI 2 out to the AVR? I have been running TV to HDMI 3 and then both my game consoles are hooked up to the receiver.

I see you use Technicolor HDR video setting on your PS4 Pro. I've been using Game Mode, despite the fact the colors aren't the most accurate, as I thought that was the only way to get the lowest input lag. Does the C9 automatically still kick into low input lag mode on other video modes?
Pretty sure on my C9...ALLM kicks in regardless of mode.
Piker84 likes this.
post #7 of 20 Old 12-18-2019, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker84 View Post

For the PS4 pro, I meant Technicolor for video / movies and I use game mode with the PS4 pro HDR setting

I run my Xbox straight to tv first because receivers can't pass through allm & vrr, so I go to tv then back to receiver for my home theater audio

Artman22 likes this.

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
post #8 of 20 Old 12-18-2019, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
I run my Xbox straight to tv first because receivers can't pass through allm & vrr, so I go to tv then back to receiver for my home theater audio
Makes sense!
post #9 of 20 Old 12-18-2019, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
Pretty sure on my C9...ALLM kicks in regardless of mode.
PS4 doesn't support allm but yes with Xbox allm goes on and off if needed

post #10 of 20 Old 12-27-2019, 03:51 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I've been having the exact same issue as well with raised black levels. The worst game for it for me, is gears 5 on xbox one x. This game is supposed to be reference hdr.

No matter what settings I use, the black levels seem to have a washed out look and intro screens are not inky black such as coalition logo screen etc, unless I turn the brightness down to 49, but this causes alot black crush and splotchiness, which I have to reduce the ingame contrast and increase the brightness to fix and I end up with washed look again.

With my panansonic oled which I had before, black levels were really inky with this game. Now with the c9, it feels like I'm playing on LCD screen with the backlight set quite high. Not sure if it might be the pana oled crushing black levels maybe. As the loading screen and lobby screens in gears 5 are inky black.

But forza horizon 4 and bf5 seem fine.

I've tried switching DTM, still I have raised black levels. Hope lg with release and update to fix this problem, as there seem to be few with it.
post #11 of 20 Old 12-27-2019, 06:00 AM

Just read in another forum that the latest update is suppose to fix the black levels. I havnt tried it yet though.
post #12 of 20 Old 12-27-2019, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srkirk88 View Post
Just read in another forum that the latest update is suppose to fix the black levels. I havnt tried it yet though.
i think that's for the g synch black level issue. I am on the latest firmware and I still have the problem.
post #13 of 20 Old 12-27-2019, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

i am pretty sure Forza horizon and bf5 also have elevated black levels its just harder to notice. The tv in a dark room looks like fald lcd. I am also seeing problems in HDR movies but just not as bad. I am using the iPhone x to compare. For example, John wick 3 looks amazing on the iPhone and blacks are very inky; the image looks like its floating in a dark room.
post #14 of 20 Old 12-27-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
I've been having the exact same issue as well with raised black levels. The worst game for it for me, is gears 5 on xbox one x. This game is supposed to be reference hdr.

No matter what settings I use, the black levels seem to have a washed out look and intro screens are not inky black such as coalition logo screen etc, unless I turn the brightness down to 49, but this causes alot black crush and splotchiness, which I have to reduce the ingame contrast and increase the brightness to fix and I end up with washed look again.

With my panansonic oled which I had before, black levels were really inky with this game. Now with the c9, it feels like I'm playing on LCD screen with the backlight set quite high. Not sure if it might be the pana oled crushing black levels maybe. As the loading screen and lobby screens in gears 5 are inky black.

But forza horizon 4 and bf5 seem fine.

I've tried switching DTM, still I have raised black levels. Hope lg with release and update to fix this problem, as there seem to be few with it.
I havent had issues with my ps4 pro but my x1x has shown elevated blacks particularly on mk11 loading screen I too have had to set brightness to 49 but I think I'm going to buy mk11 for ps4 to see if it's there as well. If it's fine on the ps4 then It has to be the x1x

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #15 of 20 Old 12-28-2019, 02:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hola amigos!
After updating the firmware 4.71.05, in HDR Game mode, the colors became a bit gray(Ps4 pro)!
And, as mentioned earlier, the SDR mode is more saturated in color.

post #16 of 20 Old 01-09-2020, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

ok, I am now sure this a problem that effects external devices through HDMI . People in other threads are having similar problems with HDR on apple tv. Hopefully this HDMI problem gets fixed cause lowering the brightness is not a perfect solution.
post #17 of 20 Old 01-09-2020, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sin_Hogar View Post
Hola amigos!
After updating the firmware 4.71.05, in HDR Game mode, the colors became a bit gray(Ps4 pro)!
And, as mentioned earlier, the SDR mode is more saturated in color.

yeah, sdr looks way better in dark levels. When you go into a dark area in Gears 5 you get true inky blacks. In HDR it looks like lcd.You still have the bright HDR highlights but it doesn't look like oled. Bright scenes look very good on oled its dark parts that are messed up.
post #18 of 20 Old 01-14-2020, 12:24 PM

I've got the exact same problem with lg c9. The solution I found with gears 5, is to reduce the brightness to 48. Setting in game contrast to 80, brightness to 140. Should get inky black whilst maintain details
post #19 of 20 Old 01-14-2020, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked: 4091
Quote:
I've got the exact same problem with lg c9. The solution I found with gears 5, is to reduce the brightness to 48. Setting in game contrast to 80, brightness to 140. Should get inky black whilst maintain details

Is this for the Xbox or the PC version of Gears5? Have you tried both?
post #20 of 20 Old 01-15-2020, 01:05 AM

This is on the xbox one x. I also elevated black levels with hdr and DV content through the apps (Netlfix, amazon and youtube) as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page