What gaming headphones to buy? - Page 61 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1801 of 10626 Old 07-10-2008, 12:04 PM
KBI
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

I could be interested in the 146, i paid ~205 for my 247, but i'm having problems with it....

I still need to do some A/B with my Yamaha.. What is the going price for a used 146? I paid 208.00 new..But that was with my BB discount.

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 10626 Old 07-10-2008, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm new to this thread. There's a lot of posts on here so I feel like I won't find what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for headphones that do full surround (not virtual), not necessarily need to have a mic (though if it does, I'd like it to be removable), and have incredible clarity and bass. Wireless + rechargable also very much appreciated.

Price isn't an issue.

Also, would these headphones have an HDMI/optical connection? Cause I don't see how there is any other way to have true surround.

Please post it here + pm me. I would GREATLY appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

I don't get a chance to log on much anymore, so I might miss the post here, which is why I'd like for a pm as well. Sorry for asking so much.
post #1803 of 10626 Old 07-10-2008, 08:38 PM
KBI
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin CZ View Post

I'm new to this thread. There's a lot of posts on here so I feel like I won't find what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for headphones that do full surround (not virtual), not necessarily need to have a mic (though if it does, I'd like it to be removable), and have incredible clarity and bass. Wireless + rechargable also very much appreciated.

Price isn't an issue.

Also, would these headphones have an HDMI/optical connection? Cause I don't see how there is any other way to have true surround.

Please post it here + pm me. I would GREATLY appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

I don't get a chance to log on much anymore, so I might miss the post here, which is why I'd like for a pm as well. Sorry for asking so much.

headphones that support 'true' 5.1 SS are the worst. They use 8 small, subpar drivers, that degrades the SQ, & will sound thin & small. & wireless headphones aren't as good as wired.. So you have two strikes against you already I'd recommend the Denon 5000 (500), AT2000 (500) or the JVC 1000 (875.00) The JVC's have the deepest bass this side of the ATL3000 (2,300) Goes very low, & the soundstage betters the 701's by a pretty large margin & they are closed. They also look stunningly good, like a piece of fine art. Couple that with the JVC 5.1 adapter, which uses the highly regarded Dolby headphone for 5.1 reproduction. I'd recommend a HK 146 reciever that has DH included casuse the HK reciever has a more powerful amp section to drive headphones & have a better dac.

Arguably The best wireless 5.1 headphones out now are AT new flagship headphones..Forgot the model number, the headphone itself is on par with their AT5000, which retails for 875. To save money I would by used. I spent almost 5,000 on audio gear since 06, & majority is headphone related, as I prefer then over speakers for many reasons.. One being best bang for the buck for hi end audio.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1804 of 10626 Old 07-10-2008, 09:05 PM
KBI
AVS Forum Special Member

I got my first taste of HD audio gaming & blu ray movie watching.. As always the source of the material matters.. Day of the dead sounded like crap in 5.1 PCM.. Of course it was mixed to 2 channel, but I still had access to a lot of Yamahas DSP modes minus, the biggest one, 5.1 SS DD & 5.1 SS DTS.. But the Action movie DSP has a very good frontal position, like a nice projectile, you can 'see' infront of you, where you normally could not. Hard to explain.. It betters DH in this area.. But as a whole DH is much better for 5.1 placement. But again, I wasn't able to try out Yamahas 5.1 Dolby DSP cause I was listening via 5.1 linear PCM..

How is HD audio better.. It seems to lift the veil so to speak.. Higher resolution, more clarity, better imaging, better dynamics.. Was I blown away? No.. Was I impressed? Yes. Have I heard a reference HD audio track? No? Am I getting the full multi channel experience? No.. You be the judge.. The V1800 was overkill for me.. 1,300 receiver.. Even though I got it for 800.00 The Sony 720/Yamaha 663 probably would have been just as good in the HD audio department, but the V1800 can bitstream the HD codecs & is fully 1.3 compliant.. I played the Uncharted Demo using 5.1 linear pcm.. Sound had more fidelity, smoother flowing, & more transparent, but seemed a bit meek in situations you'd expect to get a rush.. The DD 5.1/DST 5.1 track had this..So what is best & more immersive for gamers? better sound or 5.1 DH. I'd pick DH, it just puts you in the middle of the action.. I still can't rule out 5.1 LPCM, cause I'm only getting 2 channels of lossless goodness.. So take my opinion with a grain of salt..

post #1805 of 10626 Old 07-11-2008, 02:15 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI View Post

I got my first taste of HD audio gaming & blu ray movie watching.. As always the source of the material matters.. Day of the dead sounded like crap in 5.1 PCM.. Of course it was mixed to 2 channel, but I still had access to a lot of Yamahas DSP modes minus, the biggest one, 5.1 SS DD & 5.1 SS DTS.. But the Action movie DSP has a very good frontal position, like a nice projectile, you can 'see' infront of you, where you normally could not. Hard to explain.. It betters DH in this area.. But as a whole DH is much better for 5.1 placement. But again, I wasn't able to try out Yamahas 5.1 Dolby DSP cause I was listening via 5.1 linear PCM..

How is HD audio better.. It seems to lift the veil so to speak.. Higher resolution, more clarity, better imaging, better dynamics.. Was I blown away? No.. Was I impressed? Yes. Have I heard a reference HD audio track? No? Am I getting the full multi channel experience? No.. You be the judge.. The V1800 was overkill for me.. 1,300 receiver.. Even though I got it for 800.00 The Sony 720/Yamaha 663 probably would have been just as good in the HD audio department, but the V1800 can bitstream the HD codecs & is fully 1.3 compliant.. I played the Uncharted Demo using 5.1 linear pcm.. Sound had more fidelity, smoother flowing, & more transparent, but seemed a bit meek in situations you'd expect to get a rush.. The DD 5.1/DST 5.1 track had this..So what is best & more immersive for gamers? better sound or 5.1 DH. I'd pick DH, it just puts you in the middle of the action.. I still can't rule out 5.1 LPCM, cause I'm only getting 2 channels of lossless goodness.. So take my opinion with a grain of salt..

Thanks for the review...

So with all things being equal, can you compare Dolby Headphone DD 5.1 and Yamaha Silent Cinema DD 5.1 and see which is better for gaming - soundstage, and directional placement?

Check my profile for headphones and headphone amps...
post #1806 of 10626 Old 07-11-2008, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wow, thanks for the tips KBI. Are those headphones you mentioned the non 5.1? I'm gonna go with you on the non 5.1 + wired route.

So let's say I'm playing Call of Duty 4 and I need to be able to hear who's behind me and who isn't, is there any NON 5.1 headphones that do good virtual surround? So will I need more than just headphones? I have a Pioneer Receiver (the XBox 360 one with only 2 optical digital inputs, no HDMI).

I guess it isn't necessary for it to be wireless, as long as the cord is long enough for me to be comfortable. I'm most concerned about good bass, and good surround.
post #1807 of 10626 Old 07-11-2008, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 130
just get the Astro's. you'll thank me later.
post #1808 of 10626 Old 07-11-2008, 11:15 AM
KBI
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foe-hammer View Post

Thanks for the review...

So with all things being equal, can you compare Dolby Headphone DD 5.1 and Yamaha Silent Cinema DD 5.1 and see which is better for gaming - soundstage, and directional placement?

Will do.. I can also increase the DSP effects on all Silent cinemas up to 6DB.. Theres 4-5 things you can change.. Still getting used to the reciever..

post #1809 of 10626 Old 07-11-2008, 11:29 AM
KBI
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Wow, thanks for the tips KBI. Are those headphones you mentioned the non 5.1? I'm gonna go with you on the non 5.1 + wired route.

So let's say I'm playing Call of Duty 4 and I need to be able to hear who's behind me and who isn't, is there any NON 5.1 headphones that do good virtual surround? So will I need more than just headphones? I have a Pioneer Receiver (the XBox 360 one with only 2 optical digital inputs, no HDMI).

I guess it isn't necessary for it to be wireless, as long as the cord is long enough for me to be comfortable. I'm most concerned about good bass, and good surround.

No headphones do virtual 5.1 on there own.. But there are some headphones that give a natural some what 3D, out of head experience.. Not as good as 5.1 DH DSP but can be impressive, especially with great sounding games like COD4.. Beyers 880/AKG 601 come to mind.. The best headphones for what you are looking for without any DSP 5.1 processing would be electrostat headphones.. They are another beast totally, compared to dynamic headphones ,which make up for 95% of headphones made today.. I'd recommend a stax entry level headphone plus driver for around 490.00..

You could buy a nice pair of headphones & use the pioneers Virtual SS DSP mode.. Most receivers have them..Check your manual. Some are ok to good.. But would be a step down from DH I'm sure..

But if a mic & communication are big for you I'd go with the Astro's.. Good SQ, especially for 'gaming headphones', uses DH processing, & other live functions which are very cool..

post #1810 of 10626 Old 07-11-2008, 05:30 PM

Please post a review of the Ear Force X4 wireless headphones.

Here is the press release from Turtle Beach:
http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/efx4/home.aspx

New Model Enables Surround Sound Gaming at All Hours Without Distraction to Gamers or Those Around Them

Elmsford, NY, 07/07/2008 -- Like its predecessor the Ear Force X3, the new X4 lets XBOX gamers concentrate on their game play by hearing every nuance while avoiding the distraction of any noise around them. The X4 takes this a step further with Dolby 5.1 surround sound that ignites the XBOX 360 experience with realistic positional sound cues emanating from all around the player. By combining Dolby 5.1 surround sound game audio, XBOX Live online chat and the freedom to move wirelessly around the room, the Ear Force X4 delivers the privacy, realism, and competitive edge that previously was unattainable on the Xbox 360 platform - an unprecedented industry first.

Our previous generation of wireless XBOX 360 headphones improved XBOX gaming by combining enhanced stereo game sound with XBOX Live chat, for a personal experience that isn't possible with speakers and an XBOX Communicator, said Mike Carducci, Marketing Manager for Turtle Beach. The addition of Dolby 5.1 channel surround sound in our new X4 expands the game action all around you. Unlike stereo headphones, you can hear every 3D sound cue as you communicate with teammates whose voices are inside your head. This, in addition to the other game-centric enhancements, such as Chat Boost, mic monitoring and so on, makes us confident that the X4 will become a must-have accessory for serious XBOX 360 gamers.

The Ear Force X4 incorporates unique features designed to enhance XBOX 360 gaming, including:

Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound: A digital signal processor (DSP) decodes Dolby Digital audio streams from the XBOX 360 via an optical connection to create 5.1 channel surround-sound that seems as if it is playing on speakers located around the headphones.

Dolby Pro Logic II: The DSP also decodes Dolby Pro Logic II signal sources and expands stereo signals into a wider sound field that seems to originate from outside of the headphones.

Bass Boost: The headphones incorporate a bass-boost feature that produces deep, rich bass tones by increasing the volume of low frequency sounds - just like turning up the sub-woofer on a home theater system.

Chat Boost Dynamic Talkback Expander: The headphones automatically adjust incoming XBOX Live chat levels during loud game moments, so chat from teammates isn't lost in exciting parts of the game play. When the game volume quiets down, the chat level smoothly returns to the normal volume setting.

Automatic Shut-Off: The headphones are designed for long battery life and will automatically shut off after a few minutes of inactivity, so gamers never have to worry about forgetting to shut them off to conserve battery power. The package includes two long-lasting AA batteries.

Microphone Monitoring: When wearing headphones, people tend to talk louder, (and louder, and louder) since they can't hear themselves speak. By mixing a portion of the microphone signal with the headphone signal, the X3 headphones let the gamer hear his voice along with the online chat and game audioso he'll only shout when he wants to.

Premium Sound: While most headphones utilize 40mm speaker drivers, the X4 headphones are designed for premium sound with oversized, high-fidelity, 50mm drivers powered by low distortion DC-coupled amplifiers that deliver smooth, deep rich bass sounds and crisp high frequencies to make game sounds come alive.

New Headphone and Transmitter Design: Engineered for long gaming sessions, the redesigned headphones incorporate oversized ear cups, a cushioned, adjustable headband, soft, deep, velvet ear pads and tilting ear cups to fit the contours of the head. The microphone is also removable, so it won't get in the way when you're not using the XBOX Live chat feature. The new transmitter serves as a convenient headphone stand and has an increased transmission range.

Analog and Digital inputs: A digital optical input connects to the XBOX 360 for the highest-quality audio. A digital optical output allows connection to a home theater system for simultaneously using the X4 headphones and home theater speakers. Analog stereo inputs let you use the headphones for listening to MP3 players, TV audio or other analog sources.

Although primarily designed for Xbox 360 gaming, the Ear Force X4 is also compatible with other gaming consoles (note that the integrated microphone works only with the 360) and can also be used as a home-theater accessory for enjoying DVDs in Dolby 5.1 surround sound, watching TV or listening to music.

The Ear Force X4 headphones are available at major gaming retailers for an MSRP of $199.95, and at www.turtlebeach.com
post #1811 of 10626 Old 07-11-2008, 08:46 PM
KBI
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the review...

I spent an hr A/Bing DH & DD 5.1 with various DSP's. First was action movie, this DSP came the closest to DH & even bettered it in the frontal area. This DSP seems to be very upfront heavy, & lacks in the rear channels. Thats this DSP's biggest flaw.. DH has better positioning, imaging, seperation of the different channels are very clean. Yama 5.1 DD did fairly well when using action movie. The two noticeable areas where DD 5.1 action movie did poor was in the seperation of the channels, & a inept back channel stuck in molasseses. The Action movie front presentation is stellar IMO.. They both sounded speaker like, & the voices sounded, upclose, & real on both 5.1 DSP's. DH is better then dd 5.1 action movie. I was playing uncharted & had it set to 5.1 DTS

Next I tried DD 5.1 with 'compressed music enhancer' it'fixes' the flaws of compressed codecs like MP3's. Extends the highs & lowers the low. It regenerates the missing harmonics in a compression artifact. This DD 5.1 CME combo is amazing.. It's SS isn't quite as good as the action movie DSP, but the dynamics are killer..Full & powerful. The extend very far left & right.. Betters the DH in that regard, but DH is more spacious & gives you a sense you are in a big place, until sounds come into the space to be detected. CME was very enjoyable.. Audio wise, it was better & more fun then DH, minus the better use of all the channels.. So this would come down to personal preference.

I also tested DH with SS 5.1 & the above DSP/CME with 5.1 Linear PCM.. The sound is smoother, more thump & extentions.. Gun shots seem to have more uoooff to them. Feels like a slight veil been lifted. Better dynamics, & easier to hear micro detail & ambient noise.. The improvement was not big, but still noticeable (some are subtle), but is being held back by my 2 channel headphones.. If placement,spaciousness, & stellar 5.1 effects are high on your list, then the choice is easy. Go DH.. But the others are certainly no slouch. & I could easily recommend Yamahas 5.1 DD, as a alternative to Dolbys DH..

post #1812 of 10626 Old 07-11-2008, 08:52 PM
KBI
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidNovak View Post

Please post a review of the Ear Force X4 wireless headphones.

Here is the press release from Turtle Beach:
http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/efx4/home.aspx

New Model Enables Surround Sound Gaming at All Hours Without Distraction to Gamers or Those Around Them

Elmsford, NY, 07/07/2008 -- Like its predecessor the Ear Force X3, the new X4 lets XBOX gamers concentrate on their game play by hearing every nuance while avoiding the distraction of any noise around them. The X4 takes this a step further with Dolby 5.1 surround sound that ignites the XBOX 360 experience with realistic positional sound cues emanating from all around the player. By combining Dolby 5.1 surround sound game audio, XBOX Live online chat and the freedom to move wirelessly around the room, the Ear Force X4 delivers the privacy, realism, and competitive edge that previously was unattainable on the Xbox 360 platform - an unprecedented industry first.

Our previous generation of wireless XBOX 360 headphones improved XBOX gaming by combining enhanced stereo game sound with XBOX Live chat, for a personal experience that isn't possible with speakers and an XBOX Communicator, said Mike Carducci, Marketing Manager for Turtle Beach. The addition of Dolby 5.1 channel surround sound in our new X4 expands the game action all around you. Unlike stereo headphones, you can hear every 3D sound cue as you communicate with teammates whose voices are inside your head. This, in addition to the other game-centric enhancements, such as Chat Boost, mic monitoring and so on, makes us confident that the X4 will become a must-have accessory for serious XBOX 360 gamers.

The Ear Force X4 incorporates unique features designed to enhance XBOX 360 gaming, including:

Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound: A digital signal processor (DSP) decodes Dolby Digital audio streams from the XBOX 360 via an optical connection to create 5.1 channel surround-sound that seems as if it is playing on speakers located around the headphones.

Dolby Pro Logic II: The DSP also decodes Dolby Pro Logic II signal sources and expands stereo signals into a wider sound field that seems to originate from outside of the headphones.

Bass Boost: The headphones incorporate a bass-boost feature that produces deep, rich bass tones by increasing the volume of low frequency sounds - just like turning up the sub-woofer on a home theater system.

Chat Boost Dynamic Talkback Expander: The headphones automatically adjust incoming XBOX Live chat levels during loud game moments, so chat from teammates isn't lost in exciting parts of the game play. When the game volume quiets down, the chat level smoothly returns to the normal volume setting.

Automatic Shut-Off: The headphones are designed for long battery life and will automatically shut off after a few minutes of inactivity, so gamers never have to worry about forgetting to shut them off to conserve battery power. The package includes two long-lasting AA batteries.

Microphone Monitoring: When wearing headphones, people tend to talk louder, (and louder, and louder) since they can't hear themselves speak. By mixing a portion of the microphone signal with the headphone signal, the X3 headphones let the gamer hear his voice along with the online chat and game audioso he'll only shout when he wants to.

Premium Sound: While most headphones utilize 40mm speaker drivers, the X4 headphones are designed for premium sound with oversized, high-fidelity, 50mm drivers powered by low distortion DC-coupled amplifiers that deliver smooth, deep rich bass sounds and crisp high frequencies to make game sounds come alive.

New Headphone and Transmitter Design: Engineered for long gaming sessions, the redesigned headphones incorporate oversized ear cups, a cushioned, adjustable headband, soft, deep, velvet ear pads and tilting ear cups to fit the contours of the head. The microphone is also removable, so it won't get in the way when you're not using the XBOX Live chat feature. The new transmitter serves as a convenient headphone stand and has an increased transmission range.

Analog and Digital inputs: A digital optical input connects to the XBOX 360 for the highest-quality audio. A digital optical output allows connection to a home theater system for simultaneously using the X4 headphones and home theater speakers. Analog stereo inputs let you use the headphones for listening to MP3 players, TV audio or other analog sources.

Although primarily designed for Xbox 360 gaming, the Ear Force X4 is also compatible with other gaming consoles (note that the integrated microphone works only with the 360) and can also be used as a home-theater accessory for enjoying DVDs in Dolby 5.1 surround sound, watching TV or listening to music.

The Ear Force X4 headphones are available at major gaming retailers for an MSRP of $199.95, and at www.turtlebeach.com

I wouldn't trust them with their poor track record.. Pay 50.00 extra to get the far superior Astro headset..

post #1813 of 10626 Old 07-11-2008, 09:14 PM
KBI
AVS Forum Special Member

The new HK 354 reciever supports Dolby headphone Version two.. Supports 96HZ Version one only supports 44/48HZ. & will be sold at BB.. retails for 800.00, so I could probably get it for 500.00.. But do I really need 3 receivers!!

post #1814 of 10626 Old 07-11-2008, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My JVC SU-DH1 surround sound headphone processor is up for sale in case anyone's interested.
post #1815 of 10626 Old 07-11-2008, 11:04 PM
KBI
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugueness View Post

My JVC SU-DH1 surround sound headphone processor is up for sale in case anyone's interested.

Didn't like it?

post #1816 of 10626 Old 07-12-2008, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

The new HK 354 reciever supports Dolby headphone Version two.. Supports 96HZ Version one only supports 44/48HZ. & will be sold at BB.. retails for 800.00, so I could probably get it for 500.00.. But do I really need 3 receivers!!

Version 2? Do you happen to know what version of DH processor is in my Astro mix/amp? I tried searching Dolby's site for technical info, but couldn't find where they stash the DH specs.

I built a nice second system out of electronics (receiver, speakers, DVD, etc.) that were upgraded to something better / faster. The problem is that I seem to be on my way to a 3rd system... You might see if you can give / trade the oldest ones to someone who could use it. Don't forget that if the resell value isn't worth it, there are a lot of charities who will greatly appreciate your donation. Christmas is only 4 months away.
post #1817 of 10626 Old 07-12-2008, 11:41 AM
KBI
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekGirl View Post

Version 2? Do you happen to know what version of DH processor is in my Astro mix/amp? I tried searching Dolby's site for technical info, but couldn't find where they stash the DH specs.

I built a nice second system out of electronics (receiver, speakers, DVD, etc.) that were upgraded to something better / faster. The problem is that I seem to be on my way to a 3rd system... You might see if you can give / trade the oldest ones to someone who could use it. Don't forget that if the resell value isn't worth it, there are a lot of charities who will greatly appreciate your donation. Christmas is only 4 months away.

I know the Astro's use Dolby's 2nd gen DH chip, but is just reported to be more effecient & less power hungry, with no increase in SQ or 5.1 effects. I know DH has 1,2,3 modes.. That could be version 2, but that wouldn't explain the 96Z support.

post #1818 of 10626 Old 07-12-2008, 11:45 AM
KBI
AVS Forum Special Member

Interesting:

As Yamaha's latest evolution of CINEMA DSP, CINEMA DSP HD3 uses four Quad CINEMA DSP engines and permits lossless decoding of 192kHz signals, while providing 3D processing that gives the sound field an extra vertical dimension.
of course its only in the Yamahas 5,000 flag ship receiver. & Denon has their own DD 5.1 DSP in their ultra hi end models, that sounds like it could be better then DH.. But why pay so much money for a 5.1 DSP no matter how great when you caould buy a speaker set up with that money.

post #1819 of 10626 Old 07-13-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:

I spent an hr A/Bing DH & DD 5.1 with various DSP's. First was action movie, this DSP came the closest to DH & even bettered it in the frontal area. This DSP seems to be very upfront heavy, & lacks in the rear channels. Thats this DSP's biggest flaw.. DH has better positioning, imaging, seperation of the different channels are very clean. Yama 5.1 DD did fairly well when using action movie. The two noticeable areas where DD 5.1 action movie did poor was in the seperation of the channels, & a inept back channel stuck in molasseses. The Action movie front presentation is stellar IMO.. They both sounded speaker like, & the voices sounded, upclose, & real on both 5.1 DSP's. DH is better then dd 5.1 action movie. I was playing uncharted & had it set to 5.1 DTS

Next I tried DD 5.1 with 'compressed music enhancer' it'fixes' the flaws of compressed codecs like MP3's. Extends the highs & lowers the low. It regenerates the missing harmonics in a compression artifact. This DD 5.1 CME combo is amazing.. It's SS isn't quite as good as the action movie DSP, but the dynamics are killer..Full & powerful. The extend very far left & right.. Betters the DH in that regard, but DH is more spacious & gives you a sense you are in a big place, until sounds come into the space to be detected. CME was very enjoyable.. Audio wise, it was better & more fun then DH, minus the better use of all the channels.. So this would come down to personal preference.

I also tested DH with SS 5.1 & the above DSP/CME with 5.1 Linear PCM.. The sound is smoother, more thump & extentions.. Gun shots seem to have more uoooff to them. Feels like a slight veil been lifted. Better dynamics, & easier to hear micro detail & ambient noise.. The improvement was not big, but still noticeable (some are subtle), but is being held back by my 2 channel headphones.. If placement,spaciousness, & stellar 5.1 effects are high on your list, then the choice is easy. Go DH.. But the others are certainly no slouch. & I could easily recommend Yamahas 5.1 DD, as a alternative to Dolbys DH..

Nice comparison.

I wish that Dolby Headphone would support uncompressed 5.1. I don't see why it would make any difference. I'd be spending a grand for a receiver, and already have a ps3, if there were such.

Thanks again, KBI.

post #1820 of 10626 Old 07-13-2008, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansemerick View Post

just get the Astro's. you'll thank me later.

Do you have a link? Like model and whatnot

The whole surround effect is important, as I rely on it to hear exactly where my enemies are at in COD4. I want good headphones for night playing when I don't wanna wake up my roomates or neighbors with my surround sound.

How do these connect to the TV/Game System/Receiver?

I'm totally new to the whole headphone thing, besides REALLY loving my Skullcandy earbuds that cost like $15 yet beat out every single headphone I have tested when it comes to bass. Too bad it doesn't do great surround.
post #1821 of 10626 Old 07-13-2008, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

http://www.astrogaming.com/

It's what the professional Halo players use at MLG. If they can win with those and be happy with them, I'm sure 99% of gamers would be too.
post #1822 of 10626 Old 07-13-2008, 11:00 AM
KBI
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Do you have a link? Like model and whatnot

The whole surround effect is important, as I rely on it to hear exactly where my enemies are at in COD4. I want good headphones for night playing when I don't wanna wake up my roomates or neighbors with my surround sound.

How do these connect to the TV/Game System/Receiver?

I'm totally new to the whole headphone thing, besides REALLY loving my Skullcandy earbuds that cost like $15 yet beat out every single headphone I have tested when it comes to bass. Too bad it doesn't do great surround.

If you want bass heavy, quality phones, I'd get the AKG K 81 DJ headphones, or the Beyer 770.. The Sony 700 DJ headphones are very bassy & will better the skullcandy's easily, but the AKG/Beyer have better quality bass, & better SQ overall.. Just to let you know.. Audiophile headphones will never have as much bass as the cheap headphones. The cheaper headphones are more about quantity then quality to cater to the casual listener, while audiophile headphones have more accurate bass, cause thats what the majority who buy audiophile headphones want.

Optical cable direct to the 360..Just make sure you click 5.1 in the audio section..

post #1823 of 10626 Old 07-13-2008, 11:09 AM
KBI
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus311 View Post

It's what the professional Halo players use at MLG. If they can win with those and be happy with them, I'm sure 99% of gamers would be too.

They are good, but, just becasuse pro's wear them doesn't make them the best for pro gaming.. Most pro teams are sponsored by 5.1 headphone companies, & many let them use their headphones for free as a advertisement of their product.. It's a great marketing tool, casuse the best players in the world are using & winning with their headphones. Most pro gamers are 'spoon fed' what is good in regards to 5.1 headphones. Many aren't interested in doing their own research.. Personally, if you are a pro gamer making a low 6 figure income, you should spend much more on your headphones since pro gaming is your livelihood.

post #1824 of 10626 Old 07-13-2008, 11:14 AM
KBI
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Nice comparison.

I wish that Dolby Headphone would support uncompressed 5.1. I don't see why it would make any difference. I'd be spending a grand for a receiver, and already have a ps3, if there were such.

Thanks again, KBI.

Dolby Headphone came out well before uncompressed 5.1 was around. I'm guessing thats the reason. Dolby Headphone is around 7 yrs old.. I wish the A/Bing was better.. Even though I had both receivers set up together, I had to get out of the demo to change the configuration since the HK 146 doesn't support audio over HDMI..

You are welcome.

post #1825 of 10626 Old 07-13-2008, 11:23 PM

But technically, you wouldn't think there would be any reason why having a higher bitrate of the same audio would present any kind of issues. It sounds more like it just hasn't been implemented, rather then a limitation of DH.

post #1826 of 10626 Old 07-14-2008, 11:04 AM
KBI
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

But technically, you wouldn't think there would be any reason why having a higher bitrate of the same audio would present any kind of issues. It sounds more like it just hasn't been implemented, rather then a limitation of DH.

I can't say.

post #1827 of 10626 Old 07-14-2008, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus311 View Post

yeah, i've spammed this thread enough with them, but i'm here to say it again - get the Astros. they are the best.

although Final Boss uses Senn 595's with Zalman mics, so you can't really argue with those either.
post #1828 of 10626 Old 07-14-2008, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm definitely gonna look into the Astro's.

KBI, I totally didn't see your sig, but am looking at that as well.
post #1829 of 10626 Old 07-14-2008, 02:43 PM
KBI
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm definitely gonna look into the Astro's.

KBI, I totally didn't see your sig, but am looking at that as well.

Thank you.. As I stated before, if live & communication is important to you the Astro's are the way to go.. They are modeled after the Sen 555 (popular gaming headphone).. & for the price, 250.00, are hard to beat.. There are better options, but you would need to open your pockets up a bit more.. & not sure it's necessary in your case..

post #1830 of 10626 Old 07-14-2008, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Do the Astro's sound 'good' for movies and music as well? Enough bass? Or are they just good for the surround sound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page