PS3 vs Xbox 360 (online game play quality) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-28-2009, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey,
(this question is directed at ppl who own both PS3 and Xbox, or have experience playing both systems thats why i posted this in here and the XBOX section that way ill get the best response as there is not certain one forum for this question)

I know that this subject has been beat to death over time (however)....

As many of u know the price of PS3 has recently gone down to $299.

I'm considering purchasing either the PS3 or Xbox, so far my front runner has always been the Xbox 360, just cause it was cheaper, more ppl play it, better game selection, and it has better online game play quality overall. S ince the PS3 now went down to $299 and it comes with a Blue Ray Player (BR), this to me is very tempting, as i would get a (BR) player and a Game Console in one.

So to get to my question is as of today Aug '09 has the online play improved on the PS3 at all, i know its FREE so from what i have heard you get what you pay for, and with that the connection speeds, lag (bad ping), more players to play with online for you certain game, is there still a big gap in service between the two, or has it shrunk and the PS3 online has improved over the last few months as we're about to go into 2010, or simply is the XBOX 360's online game play way better because its a pay for service so they pump more $ into its development and hardware?

I would much appreciate any input in this .....thank you for any responses in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-28-2009, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Believe it or not, this isn't a console warz website so threads like this aren't allowed. Come to the PS3 forum for a PS3 discussion, and go to the other forums for discussions of those machines (PC, X360, Wii). If you want detailed discussions on vs. comparisons, try GameFaqs or GameSpot. They have console warz discussions all the time and can help you find out what you want.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #3 of 6 Old 08-28-2009, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Believe it or not, this isn't a console warz website so threads like this aren't allowed. Come to PS3 forum for PS3 discussion, and go to the other forums for discussions of those machines (PC, X360, Wii). If you want detailed discussions on vs. comparisons, try GameFaqs or GameSpot. They have console warz discussions all the time and can help you find out what you want.

That hasn't been problem in the past. There are plenty of threads of comparisons, bickering, etc. here. They just don't last long (thankfully).

The PS3 online has been getting better. Lagginess has never been a problem for me, although sometimes firmware updates and stuff go slow if it's being heavily used.

I don't own both systems, but the 360's online stuff is better. The PS3's doesn't suck or anything, though. If you are only getting one over the other, consider what features are more important to you, if there are any exclusives you 'must' have, and what your friends have so you can play with each other ()

PSN: Tezasaurus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-28-2009, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

I'd like to know where the notion that the PS3's online was ever bad got started. I used to play Warhawk back around 2007 on a connection that maxed out at just over 1mbs using the PS3s wireless receiver to connect and had very few issues playing matches up to 12 players. The last time I played a PS3 game online was the Resistance 2 multiplayer beta at the end of last year on my school's terrible internet connection (T1 segmented across campus that brought average down speeds again to around 1mbs). Never experienced any lag in 12 player competitive matches or 8 player coop.

Don't let anyone convince you XBL is some godsend of a service that never lags either. On the very same connections as I spoke of above I would be unable to play a game of Halo 3 due to lag and on a number of occasions timed out of CoD4. For the past two winter seasons XBL has also suffered detrimental outages puttings out for long stretches of time (a whole month in 2007). That's not to say it's a bad service, it's not, it's just that it's not some superior online solution either.

All in all I'd say the PSN and XBL are pretty much neck and neck as far as performance goes. Problem is you have to pay for XBL. Many will tell you "It's only $4 a month" but personally I refuse to pay it. No non-MMORPG game EVER required you to pay for online play before XBL and still today the 360 is the only platform that locks you out of the multiplayer game you payed for if you don't pay for Microsoft's service.

I'm getting off track though. Point is the PSN is every bit as functional as XBL and if that's the deciding factor in your purchase choice then go with the PS3. I assume you've already weighed factors like which system has the exclusive titles you're most interested in and which service your friends play online with.

Always remember: The pessimist is never disappointed.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Administrator
Administrator

Mentioned: 322 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
Yeah, I'm just going to end this topic based on history.
Why wait a few hours for the personal insults, threats of bodily injury and forum suspensions.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Always post about products, never post about other members.
Join the AVS Forum Club and help support the site.
AVS Forum is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with AV Science Inc.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-01-2009, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Since someone reported the closure of this thread I'll touch on it as well. Mike and I have seen these threads far too often and they always go the same way.

Bottom line, they both offer good online play but you do get better service with the 360, but you pay for it. So really it's up to you.

Unfortunately these threads always turn ugly, hence the closure.

Kyser

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page