PlayStation 4 - Page 624 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1455Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #18691 of 21096 Old 12-10-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,637
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 1708
PlayStation 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post
I do not like it, however, other than it just being a moneyhat situation, it appears that Capcom may at least in part have made the decision based on Microsoft's blanket policy of not allowing cross-platform online play. People playing SFV on PS4 can play online with people playing SFV on PC. IMO this is something that needs to be standardized and if it takes MS losing out on some exclusives to feel some strain on their pocketbooks resulting in them relaxing their ridiculous consumer unfriendly policy... then sure.

We've learned this "generation" that MS is even more reactionary than usual and that they will adapt to market forces. People don't like DRM and people want to play games online with other people playing the same game regardless of platform.

I still feel like I'm missing something though. MS's policy against cross platform play is in part to justify charging for Xbox live. And I'm sure there will be plenty of cross platform play once they revive their PC gaming efforts later this year....but that presumes that you're playing a game you bought on the windows store and MS gets their cut. That apparatus doesn't exist yet though.

But at the same time, Sony is apparently funding it to some degree. Neither Sony not capcom has a PC gaming store, they don't have a OS to prop up. Sony certainly needs to justify charging for plus. Basically Sony doesn't have any benefit whatsoever to that PC version existing in the first place and clear benefits to it not existing. if the game supposedly wouldn't have existed without Sony's cashola....why does that PC version even exist at all, let alone cross platform play?

It doesn't make sense, and "Sony is nice and MS is mean" is not an adequate explanation. Allowing the PC version to exist and interplay has 100% guaranteed that I'll never even consider the PS4 version. If this trend continues they're basically giving away customers to PC, and by extension, to MS.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510

Last edited by bd2003; 12-10-2014 at 02:33 PM.
bd2003 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #18692 of 21096 Old 12-10-2014, 03:06 PM
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Yrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 4,058
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
It doesn't make sense, and "Sony is nice and MS is mean" is not an adequate explanation. Allowing the PC version to exist and interplay has 100% guaranteed that I'll never even consider the PS4 version. If this trend continues they're basically giving away customers to PC, and by extension, to MS.
For people that also play PC. But there are console only gamers and they aren't losing those customers. The best reason to buy PC version is your fight stick will still work. I have the original SF4 fight stick for 360 and that works on PC.
lordxar5 likes this.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Yrd is offline  
post #18693 of 21096 Old 12-10-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,551
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post
where are all the posts about how upset everyone is over ps4 exclusive Street fighter 5. i remember everyone saying (with tomb raider and MS) that if the situation was reversed they would be just as upset..








(yes i am bored and wanted to see some fireworks on this board)
I think they would care if it was Tomb Raider on the other foot. Street Fighter V, not so much. KABOOM! (I kid, I kid, street fighter players have more game skill in their left earlobe than I have in my whole body)


Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellG View Post
The thing I'm pissed about is that I'm probably going to have to buy new fightstick(s) for SFV.

I don't think it's that hard to enable the PS3 sticks, they are USB not Bluetooth.




I feel your pain. My GT Driving force wheel has to be replaced this gen.


GTDF uses USB as well so not sure of the logic there.

I just bit the bullet and bought the replacement:



At least it's back compatible with PS3 but still quite the expense. Can't go back to a controller on the sim style driving games though.
DarrellG likes this.
Crash44 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #18694 of 21096 Old 12-10-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lordxar5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,252
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
I still feel like I'm missing something though. MS's policy against cross platform play is in part to justify charging for Xbox live. And I'm sure there will be plenty of cross platform play once they revive their PC gaming efforts later this year....but that presumes that you're playing a game you bought on the windows store and MS gets their cut. That apparatus doesn't exist yet though.

But at the same time, Sony is apparently funding it to some degree. Neither Sony not capcom has a PC gaming store, they don't have a OS to prop up. Sony certainly needs to justify charging for plus. Basically Sony doesn't have any benefit whatsoever to that PC version existing in the first place and clear benefits to it not existing. if the game supposedly wouldn't have existed without Sony's cashola....why does that PC version even exist at all, let alone cross platform play?

It doesn't make sense, and "Sony is nice and MS is mean" is not an adequate explanation. Allowing the PC version to exist and interplay has 100% guaranteed that I'll never even consider the PS4 version. If this trend continues they're basically giving away customers to PC, and by extension, to MS.
Their policy is dumb and needs to go. This isn't the first cross play game they missed the boat on and won't be the last. You get choice on the Sony side and all gamers seem to want that and it is a good thing. We can still play against each other on our chosen platforms. The Tomb Raider announcement was flat out xbox exclusive if memory serves, well until they got bi$!# slapped about it being timed anyway. Helluva way to influence purchasing...
lordxar5 is offline  
post #18695 of 21096 Old 12-10-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,637
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
For people that also play PC. But there are console only gamers and they aren't losing those customers. The best reason to buy PC version is your fight stick will still work. I have the original SF4 fight stick for 360 and that works on PC.

But one of the main reasons not to play on PC is because you're isolated from your console brethren. If this becomes standard across the board it's one less reason to deal with consoles. Presumably everyone on ps4 has to pay for plus to pay online, but PC people don't...how do they justify that?

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
post #18696 of 21096 Old 12-10-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,637
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post
Their policy is dumb and needs to go. This isn't the first cross play game they missed the boat on and won't be the last. You get choice on the Sony side and all gamers seem to want that and it is a good thing. We can still play against each other on our chosen platforms. The Tomb Raider announcement was flat out xbox exclusive if memory serves, well until they got bi$!# slapped about it being timed anyway. Helluva way to influence purchasing...

So much noise has been made these past few days about this supposed policy but these cross play games are still super rare. It's not like I can hop on a battlefield or assassins creed game with PC players. Just a bunch of crappy MMOs and F2P games. That's why this seems significant, because SF actually matters.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
post #18697 of 21096 Old 12-10-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lordxar5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,252
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
So much noise has been made these past few days about this supposed policy but these cross play games are still super rare. It's not like I can hop on a battlefield or assassins creed game with PC players. Just a bunch of crappy MMOs and F2P games. That's why this seems significant, because SF actually matters.
Their not abundant but it has to start somewhere. I'd say the FF crowd is not very insignificant. If I had to guess it's in the neighborhood of SF as far as player count. I'm a console gamer these days. If I had the dough and time I'd probably have a PC as well but it's just to hard to be on so many platforms. What was great about FF is that I was able to play with my PC friend with no problem. Now that's about all he plays but still. A lot of my FL is from FF and about half of them were PC players, in FF I mean, not just PS friends necessarily. So the SF cross play is awesome and I hope they expand that to other games but you've got to get the EA's and Activisions of the world to join in. There's really zero reason BF or COD can't be cross play anymore. Just takes a company to dig their head out of their arse and do it. Quite honestly it would add longevity to these games and mean you could find a match down the road. From what I've read on GAF, TF is a ghost town on PC so what does that do to help the franchise? Add in xboners and you've got a good thing to keep the player base alive.
lordxar5 is offline  
post #18698 of 21096 Old 12-10-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cravit8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,123
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 610
I just downloaded the 1080p version of the Uncharted 4 gameplay video and it is amazeaballs IMO.
Nayan likes this.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
Cravit8 is offline  
post #18699 of 21096 Old 12-10-2014, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,637
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post
Their not abundant but it has to start somewhere. I'd say the FF crowd is not very insignificant. If I had to guess it's in the neighborhood of SF as far as player count. I'm a console gamer these days. If I had the dough and time I'd probably have a PC as well but it's just to hard to be on so many platforms. What was great about FF is that I was able to play with my PC friend with no problem. Now that's about all he plays but still. A lot of my FL is from FF and about half of them were PC players, in FF I mean, not just PS friends necessarily. So the SF cross play is awesome and I hope they expand that to other games but you've got to get the EA's and Activisions of the world to join in. There's really zero reason BF or COD can't be cross play anymore. Just takes a company to dig their head out of their arse and do it. Quite honestly it would add longevity to these games and mean you could find a match down the road. From what I've read on GAF, TF is a ghost town on PC so what does that do to help the franchise? Add in xboners and you've got a good thing to keep the player base alive.
Yeah, I mean don't get me wrong, I'm 100% behind it, I think this kind of thing is long overdue. I'm just curious why Sony is behind something that's clearly against their best interests. They're perfectly fine telling EA with that EA access sub to go shove it because they want to "provide the best value for their customers" or whatever that gag-worthy line was. But they're willing to fork over cash to a struggling capcom and then give them the blessing to undermine their walled garden? There's no question Sony has the leverage here so why would they ever agree to that? Taken at face value it seems like a terrible idea for them. Maybe they gain a little in the short term by having another console exclusive but they're accelerating the disintegration of their business model. I only expect Microsoft to push cross platform purchase and play because they can get a cut of the purchase regardless. I dunno, maybe they have some crazy agreement behind the scenes where Sony gets such a huge cut from every steam sale? But even then it still seems like madness.

I'm in favor of anything that democratizes gaming because this current situation is untenable and I'm surprised there isn't more protest against it, but this seems borderline suicidal. It's the kind of thing I expected Sony to be dragged kicking and screaming into rather than leading the charge.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
post #18700 of 21096 Old 12-10-2014, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cravit8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,123
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 610
@bd2003
My reply to that is that it's the same reason we don't have improvement on the Ps4 itself that built in the previous console: there are a few high level guys in charge with a division under them doing the spear heading and work and the big dogs don't care not have it on their radar.

The fact these macho heads need a TelePrompTer at their own live events clearly shows they don't know what's even going on.
If you can't adlib about your projects in an articulate public speaking manner for 30 min than you are sunk. Everyone knows you're rambling.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
Cravit8 is offline  
post #18701 of 21096 Old 12-10-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lordxar5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,252
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
Yeah, I mean don't get me wrong, I'm 100% behind it, I think this kind of thing is long overdue. I'm just curious why Sony is behind something that's clearly against their best interests. They're perfectly fine telling EA with that EA access sub to go shove it because they want to "provide the best value for their customers" or whatever that gag-worthy line was. But they're willing to fork over cash to a struggling capcom and then give them the blessing to undermine their walled garden? There's no question Sony has the leverage here so why would they ever agree to that? Taken at face value it seems like a terrible idea for them. Maybe they gain a little in the short term by having another console exclusive but they're accelerating the disintegration of their business model. I only expect Microsoft to push cross platform purchase and play because they can get a cut of the purchase regardless. I dunno, maybe they have some crazy agreement behind the scenes where Sony gets such a huge cut from every steam sale? But even then it still seems like madness.

I'm in favor of anything that democratizes gaming because this current situation is untenable and I'm surprised there isn't more protest against it, but this seems borderline suicidal. It's the kind of thing I expected Sony to be dragged kicking and screaming into rather than leading the charge.
Maybe Microsoft isn't the only one listening to gamers? I dig the way Sony is operating. Who knows, maybe they signed a deal that gives them more of a cut of console sales in lieu of the PC part and let Capcom get their piece that way. I can't imagine they fully funded the deal.
lordxar5 is offline  
post #18702 of 21096 Old 12-10-2014, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,637
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post
Maybe Microsoft isn't the only one listening to gamers? I dig the way Sony is operating. Who knows, maybe they signed a deal that gives them more of a cut of console sales in lieu of the PC part and let Capcom get their piece that way. I can't imagine they fully funded the deal.
Sure, MS is listening to gamers and improving the xbox...but this is Sony listening to gamers and improving the PC? It's doubt it's difficult to find a match for SF on console, but I can only imagine the player pool for PC was much smaller. There's little to no value in this for PS4 owners. I'm not a big fighting game fan, I may never have bought SF5 anyway. But I never would have considered buying such a console-centric game on PC...now I have zero reason to buy it on PS4. I can understand paying for total exclusivity to increase sales, I can even understand offering PS4/PC compatibility as a selling point if there was an xbox version. On their own, they make total sense. But those two things together is totally insane...wtf kind of exclusivity deal makes you less likely to buy it on that platform? It makes me doubt the whole narrative that SF5 only would have happened with Sony's assistance. For capcom to pull this kind of thing off indicates the moneyhatting could be relatively minor. I find it difficult to believe there's such an extreme level of ignorance at Sony that this flies under the radar, or that they don't take PC seriously or whatever. I know PC gaming doesn't have a huge following in japan, so being a deal between two japanese companies I guess it's possible that neither thinks it's a big deal. It's just so bizarre to me though! I'd wish I could have heard the conversation where this all went down. Like was this a huge sticking point or just some ancillary detail that barely got discussed?

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510

Last edited by bd2003; 12-10-2014 at 10:13 PM.
bd2003 is offline  
post #18703 of 21096 Old 12-11-2014, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lordxar5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,252
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
Sure, MS is listening to gamers and improving the xbox...but this is Sony listening to gamers and improving the PC? It's doubt it's difficult to find a match for SF on console, but I can only imagine the player pool for PC was much smaller. There's little to no value in this for PS4 owners. I'm not a big fighting game fan, I may never have bought SF5 anyway. But I never would have considered buying such a console-centric game on PC...now I have zero reason to buy it on PS4. I can understand paying for total exclusivity to increase sales, I can even understand offering PS4/PC compatibility as a selling point if there was an xbox version. On their own, they make total sense. But those two things together is totally insane...wtf kind of exclusivity deal makes you less likely to buy it on that platform? It makes me doubt the whole narrative that SF5 only would have happened with Sony's assistance. For capcom to pull this kind of thing off indicates the moneyhatting could be relatively minor. I find it difficult to believe there's such an extreme level of ignorance at Sony that this flies under the radar, or that they don't take PC seriously or whatever. I know PC gaming doesn't have a huge following in japan, so being a deal between two japanese companies I guess it's possible that neither thinks it's a big deal. It's just so bizarre to me though! I'd wish I could have heard the conversation where this all went down. Like was this a huge sticking point or just some ancillary detail that barely got discussed?
Wouldn't say Sony is improving PC, but your probably on to something about Japan though. Consoles haven't been going so hot there and this is most likely a bid to help that out while also generating more worldwide sales. The PC part most likely kept it exclusive without being exclusive if that makes sense. Sony does have PC games, though not many. Interesting move.

I'm not big on fighting games but do play them. Far as I'm concerned their not the biggest system sellers which is what I find so interesting about the move. Then again its a game I do associate to the PS and for their 20 year thing it kind of makes sense.
lordxar5 is offline  
post #18704 of 21096 Old 12-11-2014, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
scubasteve2365's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,428
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
Sure, MS is listening to gamers and improving the xbox...but this is Sony listening to gamers and improving the PC? It's doubt it's difficult to find a match for SF on console, but I can only imagine the player pool for PC was much smaller. There's little to no value in this for PS4 owners. I'm not a big fighting game fan, I may never have bought SF5 anyway. But I never would have considered buying such a console-centric game on PC...now I have zero reason to buy it on PS4. I can understand paying for total exclusivity to increase sales, I can even understand offering PS4/PC compatibility as a selling point if there was an xbox version. On their own, they make total sense. But those two things together is totally insane...wtf kind of exclusivity deal makes you less likely to buy it on that platform? It makes me doubt the whole narrative that SF5 only would have happened with Sony's assistance. For capcom to pull this kind of thing off indicates the moneyhatting could be relatively minor. I find it difficult to believe there's such an extreme level of ignorance at Sony that this flies under the radar, or that they don't take PC seriously or whatever. I know PC gaming doesn't have a huge following in japan, so being a deal between two japanese companies I guess it's possible that neither thinks it's a big deal. It's just so bizarre to me though! I'd wish I could have heard the conversation where this all went down. Like was this a huge sticking point or just some ancillary detail that barely got discussed?
I disagree that there isn't any value for it. You've talked about the ignorance that online games cannot be played cross platform. There doesn't have to be a huge calculable direct value to PS4. Sony has, and I think I'm being fair, has been more open to what a developers wants and has given them a longer leash. You have to keep that it was done with FFXIV as well, so whatever SFV narrative there is does the same translate to FFXIV?

Reduced barriers for entry. You and I participated in the Xbox area COD:AW thread and you stated that you thought about taking the loss and picking the game up on XBO even though you had it on PS4. Then you acknowledged that you'd have to start your character/level progression over and how much that sucked. Did you go through with picking the game up? I ended up doing it from the opposite direction. I got the game free on XBO due to a gamestop/XBL promotion where I had MS credit, but I ended up snagging the game for PS4 in a B2G1 deal at a retail store anyway. Did you end up getting the game on XBO? A reduced barrier of entry that increases the chances of you impulse buying a game on XBO is a win for MS.

Sony is not competing with PC in any significant way. Console gamers aren't just going to consider ditching what they know just because this a game (or others) is online cross platform. It's only going to give them extension to people that they already know (the guy two cubicles down at work), and a wider community. You and I have debated the convenience of PCs, and you're convinced they aren't that problematic. I'm sure things are better than I thought, in any event earlier this fall I moved a PC to my theater because I got a 3D projector and because I adopted the WMC cable card path over my cable companies DVR. Integrating the PC, working through the WMC bugs and nuances, getting 3D to work properly due to all of the ridiculous HDMI handshake issues when seeing my projector as passthrough from my AVR when off, but then seeing only my AVR when powered on.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL/Steam : ScubaSteve2365 - PC = i7-8700k, RTX 2080Ti, DDR4-3200 Ram
My VR Podcast on Youtube - VR Roundtable - Pimax, Playstation VR, Rift-S, and Quest
Theater = Epson 5040UB, Denon S940, Klipsh RF 7.2, 4-FiCar 18" IB, HTMarket Pembrokes, Aura BassShaker
scubasteve2365 is offline  
post #18705 of 21096 Old 12-11-2014, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
scubasteve2365's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,428
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post
@bd2003
My reply to that is that it's the same reason we don't have improvement on the Ps4 itself that built in the previous console: there are a few high level guys in charge with a division under them doing the spear heading and work and the big dogs don't care not have it on their radar.

The fact these macho heads need a TelePrompTer at their own live events clearly shows they don't know what's even going on.
If you can't adlib about your projects in an articulate public speaking manner for 30 min than you are sunk. Everyone knows you're rambling.
Keynotes are a promotion/commercial first and information second. These guys could likely adlib but it'd likely not mesh with the manufactured marketing & hype that had been in development for months beforehand.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL/Steam : ScubaSteve2365 - PC = i7-8700k, RTX 2080Ti, DDR4-3200 Ram
My VR Podcast on Youtube - VR Roundtable - Pimax, Playstation VR, Rift-S, and Quest
Theater = Epson 5040UB, Denon S940, Klipsh RF 7.2, 4-FiCar 18" IB, HTMarket Pembrokes, Aura BassShaker
scubasteve2365 is offline  
post #18706 of 21096 Old 12-11-2014, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,637
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 1708
PlayStation 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post
I disagree that there isn't any value for it. You've talked about the ignorance that online games cannot be played cross platform. There doesn't have to be a huge calculable direct value to PS4. Sony has, and I think I'm being fair, has been more open to what a developers wants and has given them a longer leash. You have to keep that it was done with FFXIV as well, so whatever SFV narrative there is does the same translate to FFXIV?

Reduced barriers for entry. You and I participated in the Xbox area COD:AW thread and you stated that you thought about taking the loss and picking the game up on XBO even though you had it on PS4. Then you acknowledged that you'd have to start your character/level progression over and how much that sucked. Did you go through with picking the game up? I ended up doing it from the opposite direction. I got the game free on XBO due to a gamestop/XBL promotion where I had MS credit, but I ended up snagging the game for PS4 in a B2G1 deal at a retail store anyway. Did you end up getting the game on XBO? A reduced barrier of entry that increases the chances of you impulse buying a game on XBO is a win for MS.

Sony is not competing with PC in any significant way. Console gamers aren't just going to consider ditching what they know just because this a game (or others) is online cross platform. It's only going to give them extension to people that they already know (the guy two cubicles down at work), and a wider community. You and I have debated the convenience of PCs, and you're convinced they aren't that problematic. I'm sure things are better than I thought, in any event earlier this fall I moved a PC to my theater because I got a 3D projector and because I adopted the WMC cable card path over my cable companies DVR. Integrating the PC, working through the WMC bugs and nuances, getting 3D to work properly due to all of the ridiculous HDMI handshake issues when seeing my projector as passthrough from my AVR when off, but then seeing only my AVR when powered on.
I think given the nature of SF, the value is *heavily* skewed towards PC being able to play with the larger console pool. Whereas FFXIV and the F2P stuff are more PC-style games brought to console. The game design is predicated on a single huge player pool, to the point where it doesn't make sense for them to make the console version unless that cross play is allowed. So in those cases being cross platform is a perfectly rational decision for Sony.

I never ended up moving to XBO for cod because of the progress loss, the MP paywall and the cost of having another console. I only buy it on console/PS4 because of the player pool issues. If they let me play cross platform on PS4, then I barely have any reason to keep the PS4 or pay for PS plus at all. Right now that barrier is the primary thing keeping their platform in my house. I personally don't believe that there are "console gamers" and "PC gamers", but that people will choose the platform that feels right for them, and that preference can and will change as the platforms change. I don't want a console at all, but I feel like I need to have one not because of how open Sony is, but because of those very restrictions. They've got me where they want me. At some point you have to see how self defeating breaking that wall down is for Sony.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510

Last edited by bd2003; 12-11-2014 at 06:29 AM.
bd2003 is offline  
post #18707 of 21096 Old 12-11-2014, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
scubasteve2365's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,428
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
I think given the nature of SF, the value is *heavily* skewed towards PC being able to play with the larger console pool. Whereas FFXIV and the F2P stuff are more PC-style games brought to console. The game design is predicated on a single huge player pool, to the point where it doesn't make sense for them to make the console version unless that cross play is allowed. So in those cases being cross platform is a perfectly rational decision for Sony.

I never ended up moving to XBO for cod because of the progress loss, the MP paywall and the cost of having another console. I only buy it on console/PS4 because of the player pool issues. If they let me play cross platform on PS4, then I barely have any reason to keep the PS4 or pay for PS plus at all. Right now that barrier is the primary thing keeping their platform in my house. I personally don't believe that there are "console gamers" and "PC gamers", but that people will choose the platform that feels right for them, and that preference can and will change as the platforms change. I don't want a console at all, but I feel like I need to have one not because of how open Sony is, but because of those very restrictions. They've got me where they want me. At some point you have to see how self defeating breaking that wall down is for Sony.
You're an unusual case. The vast majority of their user base isn't going to be PC first and console only when PC isn't an option. Plus they aren't moving to put Uncharted and other exclusives on PC. So even for the rare consumer such as yourself, a portion of them maybe even a majority, are going to keep the Sony platform due to exclusives.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL/Steam : ScubaSteve2365 - PC = i7-8700k, RTX 2080Ti, DDR4-3200 Ram
My VR Podcast on Youtube - VR Roundtable - Pimax, Playstation VR, Rift-S, and Quest
Theater = Epson 5040UB, Denon S940, Klipsh RF 7.2, 4-FiCar 18" IB, HTMarket Pembrokes, Aura BassShaker
scubasteve2365 is offline  
post #18708 of 21096 Old 12-11-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lordxar5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,252
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
I think given the nature of SF, the value is *heavily* skewed towards PC being able to play with the larger console pool. Whereas FFXIV and the F2P stuff are more PC-style games brought to console. The game design is predicated on a single huge player pool, to the point where it doesn't make sense for them to make the console version unless that cross play is allowed. So in those cases being cross platform is a perfectly rational decision for Sony.

I never ended up moving to XBO for cod because of the progress loss, the MP paywall and the cost of having another console. I only buy it on console/PS4 because of the player pool issues. If they let me play cross platform on PS4, then I barely have any reason to keep the PS4 or pay for PS plus at all. Right now that barrier is the primary thing keeping their platform in my house. I personally don't believe that there are "console gamers" and "PC gamers", but that people will choose the platform that feels right for them, and that preference can and will change as the platforms change. I don't want a console at all, but I feel like I need to have one not because of how open Sony is, but because of those very restrictions. They've got me where they want me. At some point you have to see how self defeating breaking that wall down is for Sony.
I think your looking the wrong way though. Your at the completely free PC side looking back and saying what's in it for me when those of us in the walled garden are saying this is pretty cool.
Smigro likes this.
lordxar5 is offline  
post #18709 of 21096 Old 12-11-2014, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,637
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post
You're an unusual case. The vast majority of their user base isn't going to be PC first and console only when PC isn't an option. Plus they aren't moving to put Uncharted and other exclusives on PC. So even for the rare consumer such as yourself, a portion of them maybe even a majority, are going to keep the Sony platform due to exclusives.

No question I'm in the minority right now. But it's a minority in part because of this stuff. One game doesn't change everything. But if it becomes the norm rather than the exception, how could that possibly benefit them? Why go out of their way to make it easier for people not to buy their platform or games?

Possibly in response, MS is apparently considering porting KI to PC. You can buy PS4 and get SF or Xbox and get KI....or PC and get both. There's no question one PC is cheaper than two consoles and two MP subs. Like that's not even debatable. Think about the situation this is going to create for fighting game fans...anyone serious about that genre that wasn't considering PC before definitely is now. Imagine if Sony paid for battlefield exclusivity on console, and microsoft kept their Titanfall exclusivity on console. At some point these console exclusivity agreements becomes counter productive if they're contributing to the existence of a platform that gets it all.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
post #18710 of 21096 Old 12-11-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,637
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post
I think your looking the wrong way though. Your at the completely free PC side looking back and saying what's in it for me when those of us in the walled garden are saying this is pretty cool.

Sure, I get that. If you're a console only gamer their console exclusivity already guaranteed that if you were buying it, you were buying it on PS4. Sure, it's cool and all...but can anyone on the "inside" really say this makes them more likely to buy it in the first place?

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
post #18711 of 21096 Old 12-11-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
lovingdvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 12,913
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3639 Post(s)
Liked: 810
Any good deals out there to renew PSN+ for 12 months? Thanks!
lovingdvd is offline  
post #18712 of 21096 Old 12-11-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cravit8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,123
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
Any good deals out there to renew PSN+ for 12 months? Thanks!
There was today at 5am...too bad I was asleep and it sold out by time I got to retailer's website...grrr
It wasn't a sale though, just a website with a generic $15 off code most items.

I have kept an eye on online retailers, and honestly can't recall it being lower than $45 since Black Friday 2013.
Xbox Live has had the same stint of 'no sales' so it looks like across the board the subs are staying at near-MSRP.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
Cravit8 is offline  
post #18713 of 21096 Old 12-11-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gamermwm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: OK, USA
Posts: 1,051
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 176
When we get Killer Instinct on PS4...then and only then will I listen to any complaints about the exclusivity of SFV

Just my 2 cents

What is the meaning of life?
www.iamsecond.com/films
gamermwm is offline  
post #18714 of 21096 Old 12-11-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
lovingdvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 12,913
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3639 Post(s)
Liked: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post
There was today at 5am...too bad I was asleep and it sold out by time I got to retailer's website...grrr
It wasn't a sale though, just a website with a generic $15 off code most items.

I have kept an eye on online retailers, and honestly can't recall it being lower than $45 since Black Friday 2013.
Xbox Live has had the same stint of 'no sales' so it looks like across the board the subs are staying at near-MSRP.
I think there were some deals in the $35-40 range BF and that weekend, but I was too late. I think I have just a couple weeks left so hopefully there's a deal by Christmas. If my subscription expires, I know I won't have access to the free PSN+ games, but once I renew the subscription will I then get access to those games back - or is it that if the subscription lapses you lose everything and have to start over with free content games once you renew?
lovingdvd is offline  
post #18715 of 21096 Old 12-11-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cravit8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,123
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
I think there were some deals in the $35-40 range BF and that weekend, but I was too late. I think I have just a couple weeks left so hopefully there's a deal by Christmas.
It's a moot point since BF is over, but I didn't see any sales at $40 or below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
If my subscription expires, I know I won't have access to the free PSN+ games, but once I renew the subscription will I then get access to those games back - or is it that if the subscription lapses you lose everything and have to start over with free content games once you renew?
Once you resubscribe everything continues as it was; you have access to all the content you acquired while a Plus member.
The catch with Plus is the the free games are not the same as the instant library. You have to "buy" for free, the free games when they are made available.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
Cravit8 is offline  
post #18716 of 21096 Old 12-11-2014, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
metallicaband's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
There's little to no value in this for PS4 owners. I'm not a big fighting game fan, I may never have bought SF5 anyway. But I never would have considered buying such a console-centric game on PC...now I have zero reason to buy it on PS4.
I'm a fighting game fan specially of the SF series and to the FGC (fighting game community) cross-platform play is a huge plus, the fact that it would unite the SF player base and make them all play on the same network using the same ranking/ladder system is huge and really awesome.

Few things:

- Casuals will still play on console even if there's a PC version, just like most games out there today like AC or whatever.
- Hardcore SF fans will most probably even get it on both, I know I own SF4 on both and many other people do too specially with those PC discounts.
- I've always said there should be no pay wall to access multiplayer games on consoles, that's just stupid, but because so many people accept such thing, it has become "normal" these days because companies like Sony or MS would be "missing out on so much money" if they didn't do it.


Also, SF is a system seller, you have no idea how many hardcore players will easily buy a console because SF is on it. Since many players didn't even buy a next gen console yet, this will make the decision very easy for them to decide between PS4 and xbone.
Mud76 likes this.

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
metallicaband is offline  
post #18717 of 21096 Old 12-11-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,551
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
If my subscription expires, I know I won't have access to the free PSN+ games, but once I renew the subscription will I then get access to those games back - or is it that if the subscription lapses you lose everything and have to start over with free content games once you renew?
You get the access back when you renew. Your download list won't change, and if it expires the games will remain on your HDD, you just can't play them.

EDIT: beaten! Busy at work interrupted reply. Carry on.
Crash44 is offline  
post #18718 of 21096 Old 12-11-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gamermwm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: OK, USA
Posts: 1,051
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Exactly. The Fighting Game Community is as rabid as ever and all it takes is a look at many of the SF fan sites such as shoryuken.com & others to see what a dedicated following these games have. Sony is not stupid and has probably had this in the works since they announced KI on Xbone. In the end, I personally wish popular fighting games wouldn't start being exclusive to certain consoles or the highest bidder...but that's the world we live in and this will be an effective move in the long run

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicaband View Post
Also, SF is a system seller, you have no idea how many hardcore players will easily buy a console because SF is on it. Since many players didn't even buy a next gen console yet, this will make the decision very easy for them to decide between PS4 and xbone.

What is the meaning of life?
www.iamsecond.com/films
gamermwm is offline  
post #18719 of 21096 Old 12-11-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,637
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 1708
PlayStation 4

Yeah, it's a much bigger get than tomb raider IMO. As far as I'm concerned, the only fighting game that ever mattered was SF2.

I swear though, the term exclusive is so watered down nowadays.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
post #18720 of 21096 Old 12-11-2014, 03:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Rgdeuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The desert
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Syossett High School, Josh effing Greenberg
Rgdeuce is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Console , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 4 Games , Sony

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off