post #19081 of 21096 Old 01-16-2015, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m1010 View Post
Everything seems to be working with the new hard drive after some hiccups. The first time restarting the ps4 after the installation I had to reinput all of the start up info like wifi, etc., which worried me, but the second startup seems to have taken. Reinstalling all of my games and saves tonight. It's cool to see all that room on the drive. I was uninstalling quite a few games before to make room for new ones, but no more! Well, until I fill this one up...
Yea, that happened to me too because I didn't follow the process all the way through. But once I did, I was able to go on and download all of my purchases. I added everything to the queue and put it in Rest Mode. Hopefully, they will be done by the time I get home tonight.
d_m1010 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19082 of 21096 Old 01-16-2015, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 1708
I guess there's no backup to an external HDD option yet? At least it would be nice if there was a one click method to download everything back exactly the way it was.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #19083 of 21096 Old 01-16-2015, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 673 Post(s)
Liked: 639
I know this is off-topic, but it is so freaking cool I have to share: https://vine.co/v/OjqeYWWpVWK.

(Background: the SpaceX space launch company is working to make a reusable booster, this was their first attempt to land an otherwise expendable first stage on an ocean-going barge. The booster ran out of hydraulic fluid for its steering fins and was unable to overcome that loss, but still made it to the barge. They're going to try again on their next launch, with more hydraulic fluid, in a few weeks).
aaronwt, mguy5, lordxar5 and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19084 of 21096 Old 01-16-2015, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
I guess there's no backup to an external HDD option yet? At least it would be nice if there was a one click method to download everything back exactly the way it was.
That would be a great option we'll probably never have...I could easily get on board with this but USB write times suck for me though; maybe its the cheapo USB sticks I have.
post #19085 of 21096 Old 01-16-2015, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Negative Ghost Rider
post #19086 of 21096 Old 01-16-2015, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
I know this is off-topic, but it is so freaking cool I have to share: https://vine.co/v/OjqeYWWpVWK.

(Background: the SpaceX space launch company is working to make a reusable booster, this was their first attempt to land an otherwise expendable first stage on an ocean-going barge. The booster ran out of hydraulic fluid for its steering fins and was unable to overcome that loss, but still made it to the barge. They're going to try again on their next launch, with more hydraulic fluid, in a few weeks).
First off, OT stuff belongs in the BF4 thread and secondly oops...

What kills me and I'm sure there's a great reason I'm ignorant to but why the hell do all these rocket companies seem to ignore nearly 100 years of rocketry? We've got well documented NASA history on what works well and what explodes well but its like these companies are starting from scratch. I know, new materials and fancy ideas but the big space agencies in Russia, the US, Europe, etc all have tried recoverable boosters and shuttle type vehicles so it shouldn't be as much of a scratch start thing. These companies like SpaceX and Virgin just feel like me when my dad and uncle would all go out and strap an Estes engine on various homemade works of art and see what flew and what cratered instead of the future of moving our species outside the atmosphere...lol I do find all of this fascinating so don't take my meandering complaints too seriously. Honestly though if I was going to either pay Russia to put me in orbit or one of these third parties I'd pay Russia and their stuff is like ghetto space compared to others...

tl:dr Nexus is a nerd in many ways
post #19087 of 21096 Old 01-16-2015, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellG View Post
Negative Ghost Rider
The Pattern is Full.
DarrellG likes this.

Psn: memnoch1010
Xbox live: meadoch
post #19088 of 21096 Old 01-16-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post
First off, OT stuff belongs in the BF4 thread and secondly oops...

What kills me and I'm sure there's a great reason I'm ignorant to but why the hell do all these rocket companies seem to ignore nearly 100 years of rocketry? We've got well documented NASA history on what works well and what explodes well but its like these companies are starting from scratch. I know, new materials and fancy ideas but the big space agencies in Russia, the US, Europe, etc all have tried recoverable boosters and shuttle type vehicles so it shouldn't be as much of a scratch start thing. These companies like SpaceX and Virgin just feel like me when my dad and uncle would all go out and strap an Estes engine on various homemade works of art and see what flew and what cratered instead of the future of moving our species outside the atmosphere...lol I do find all of this fascinating so don't take my meandering complaints too seriously. Honestly though if I was going to either pay Russia to put me in orbit or one of these third parties I'd pay Russia and their stuff is like ghetto space compared to others...

tl:dr Nexus is a nerd in many ways

It's only impossible until someone pulls it off.

post #19089 of 21096 Old 01-16-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
That would be a great option we'll probably never have...I could easily get on board with this but USB write times suck for me though; maybe its the cheapo USB sticks I have.

It's apparently another one of those things the ps3 can do that the ps4 can't.

post #19090 of 21096 Old 01-16-2015, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's apparently another one of those things the ps3 can do that the ps4 can't.
...yet (?)
post #19091 of 21096 Old 01-16-2015, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's only impossible until someone pulls it off.
I take back my SpaceX whining...Virgin your still a high school team... Apparently SpaceX wasn't just trying to parachute a booster back they tried a full on reverse thrusters landing on a pad floating in the ocean! Ok that is dam cool!
Abaddon, Nayan and d_m1010 like this.
post #19092 of 21096 Old 01-16-2015, 11:56 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 9662 Post(s)
Liked: 6349
Quote:
My inexpensive USb 3.0 Flash drives get around 140MB/s(1120mb/s)writes and around 190MB/s(1520mb/s)read transfer rates. Which isn't lightning fast like an SSD but still decent speeds without paying an arm and a leg. The last one I got was a 256GB flash drive for $70. I have some other ones that cost even less but those only get speeds around 110MB/s(880mb/s)

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #19093 of 21096 Old 01-16-2015, 12:18 PM

PlayStation 4

Quote:
I take back my SpaceX whining...Virgin your still a high school team... Apparently SpaceX wasn't just trying to parachute a booster back they tried a full on reverse thrusters landing on a pad floating in the ocean! Ok that is dam cool!

So the question of the day is...will someone figure out how to land a rocket on a god damn boat before Sony figures out USB?
lordxar5 and Cravit8 like this.

post #19094 of 21096 Old 01-16-2015, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
What kills me and I'm sure there's a great reason I'm ignorant to but why the hell do all these rocket companies seem to ignore nearly 100 years of rocketry? We've got well documented NASA history on what works well and what explodes well but its like these companies are starting from scratch. I know, new materials and fancy ideas but the big space agencies in Russia, the US, Europe, etc all have tried recoverable boosters and shuttle type vehicles so it shouldn't be as much of a scratch start thing.
I'm no expert, but from what I've heard, a lot of NASA's decisions were based as much on internal politics as on engineering criteria. So aside from the new technology available, these private companies have far fewer constraints on what they can try.
post #19095 of 21096 Old 01-16-2015, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked: 2593
Quote:
So the question of the day is...will someone figure out how to land a rocket on a god damn boat before Sony figures out USB?
My guess would be yes.

I really ought to act more like a woman of my advancing years, but I’m growing old disgracefully.
post #19096 of 21096 Old 01-16-2015, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
My inexpensive USb 3.0 Flash drives get around 140MB/s(1120mb/s)writes and around 190MB/s(1520mb/s)read transfer rates. Which isn't lightning fast like an SSD but still decent speeds without paying an arm and a leg. The last one I got was a 256GB flash drive for $70. I have some other ones that cost even less but those only get speeds around 110MB/s(880mb/s)
Think I'm using like a 32 GB USB stick. I'm at work at and my memory is fuzzy but I want to say it is USB 3.0. A 10 MB Driveclub save uploads to cloud in like 5 seconds where it takes say 30 to USB. The cloud saves are fast enough that its not annoying to upload several saves manually but the USB copy blows. I just set it and walk away.
post #19097 of 21096 Old 01-16-2015, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post
I'm no expert, but from what I've heard, a lot of NASA's decisions were based as much on internal politics as on engineering criteria. So aside from the new technology available, these private companies have far fewer constraints on what they can try.
I guess what I'm saying is the Virgin piggyback a plane to space thing just feels immature compared to what SpaceX is doing. Yea NASA had red tape and all that but the whole organization feels professional where some of these others are launching toys off a Buick battery...at least that's the vibe I get from the random news I see here and there. Haven't really followed things closely for some time so my quick glances are probably way off like usual
post #19098 of 21096 Old 01-16-2015, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I know, new materials and fancy ideas but the big space agencies in Russia, the US, Europe, etc all have tried recoverable boosters and shuttle type vehicles so it shouldn't be as much of a scratch start thing.
You might think that, but it isn't true. The only real attempt at a reusable system was the Shuttle. As a first attempt it wasn't half bad, but it wasn't economically viable. There have been some other X type programs, most notably the DC-X, but nothing like this has been attempted before. What's exciting about what SpaceX is doing is they have built an economically viable expendable launcher, and are using the boosters on real flights to perform landing experiments. They have a great chance of landing a booster this year, and that would be the first time something had been done like this, ever. *IF* they can prove an economic benefit once they start recovering boosters by reusing them successfully, then it is a really big deal.

Quote:
These companies like SpaceX and Virgin just feel like me when my dad and uncle would all go out and strap an Estes engine on various homemade works of art and see what flew and what cratered instead of the future of moving our species outside the atmosphere...lol I do find all of this fascinating so don't take my meandering complaints too seriously. Honestly though if I was going to either pay Russia to put me in orbit or one of these third parties I'd pay Russia and their stuff is like ghetto space compared to others...
You should not lump SpaceX and Virgin together. SpaceX now has 14 successful Falcon 9 launches to its credit, it has six successful space station deliveries and returned cargo from the space station on each attempt. Virgin has not accomplished very much at all.

Russia has a much more checkered launch success rate of late, actually...

Anyway, no more off-topic from me, I promise!
post #19099 of 21096 Old 01-16-2015, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There is a good chance it will happen in three weeks. So, I'd say yes
post #19100 of 21096 Old 01-16-2015, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
I guess what I'm saying is the Virgin piggyback a plane to space thing just feels immature compared to what SpaceX is doing. Yea NASA had red tape and all that but the whole organization feels professional where some of these others are launching toys off a Buick battery...at least that's the vibe I get from the random news I see here and there. Haven't really followed things closely for some time so my quick glances are probably way off like usual
From what I read the rocket stabilizer fins failed due to losing hydraulic power. They said the rocket ran out of hydraulic fuel. The are happy that the rocket got as close as it did and are very confident for success in the next test. Also in the news today looks like another lizard squad leader/main member has been arrested in the UK. Some are speculating it is @gdk Jordie. I really hope it's him. Whoever they arrested is getting busted for swatting also.

PSN ID : AVS Dash
post #19101 of 21096 Old 01-16-2015, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
You should not lump SpaceX and Virgin together. SpaceX now has 14 successful Falcon 9 launches to its credit, it has six successful space station deliveries and returned cargo from the space station on each attempt. Virgin has not accomplished very much at all.

Russia has a much more checkered launch success rate of late, actually...

Anyway, no more off-topic from me, I promise!
You missed some posts where I admit the error of my ways I didn't realize SpaceX had done so much. Need to read up more on them, pretty exciting stuff!

Bah who cares about a little OT here and there. Besides its not totally OT, we now have a contest between landing a rocket stage on a on a tennis court in the ocean or getting proper USB storage on the PS4. See its related
Nayan likes this.
post #19102 of 21096 Old 01-17-2015, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I never realized there were so many rocket scientists in the AVS forums
DarrellG and Nayan like this.

PSN: ROLL_mf_TIDE
post #19103 of 21096 Old 01-19-2015, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I might've asked this before but is there a cap on Internet speeds with the ps4? I'm getting around 1000Mbps up and down with Google Fiber but every time I do a network speed test on the ps4, 373 Mbps is the max. It's hardwired into the router and I'm using a cat6e ethernet cable.
post #19104 of 21096 Old 01-19-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientAlien View Post
I might've asked this before but is there a cap on Internet speeds with the ps4? I'm getting around 1000Mbps up and down with Google Fiber but every time I do a network speed test on the ps4, 373 Mbps is the max. It's hardwired into the router and I'm using a cat6e ethernet cable.

That's pretty good, I doubt anything but speedtest servers can maintain 1gbps anyway.

post #19105 of 21096 Old 01-19-2015, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Quote:

That's pretty good, I doubt anything but speedtest servers can maintain 1gbps anyway.
No complaints, just curious. I thought I read or heard the ps4 had no cap but apparently it does.
post #19106 of 21096 Old 01-19-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
No complaints, just curious. I thought I read or heard the ps4 had no cap but apparently it does.
Do you typically get 100 MB/sec downloads from other CDNs? I only have 100mbps and a lot of places can't seem to keep up with it, good luck with 10x that. Sure would be nice though, that's like pushing the limits of that dinky 2.5" HDD. You could theoretically stream the game in real time.

Either way, I think you'll survive.

post #19107 of 21096 Old 01-20-2015, 04:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
lol I'm lucky to get 5mbps down.

post #19108 of 21096 Old 01-20-2015, 05:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 488
I get about 50mbs wired. I would be happy to routinely get 100mbs.

I'm rocking an older router though, so that's probably it. I'm going to upgrade it soon, so hopefully that solves the issue.

Otherwise, it's my ISP limiting my speeds, which is what I suspect is actually happening.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #19109 of 21096 Old 01-20-2015, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 610
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/...end/#sf7021030
10% discount will be valid from 9:00 AM 1/23 PST through 9:00 AM PST 1/26

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
post #19110 of 21096 Old 01-20-2015, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm looking at getting one of these:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BLUE-TOXIC-PS...#ht_659wt_1030
or
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/MONEY-PS4-RAP...#ht_659wt_1030
you guys have any experience with these?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System , Playstation 4 Camera , Playstation 4 Console , Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller , Playstation 4 Games , Sony

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page