Why Are Some Xbox 360 Users Switching to PS4? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #31 of 160 Old 10-18-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post

Watching MS' actions have almost been like seeing a surreal parody on how to not do things right.

So true.

MS has been overselling everything, cramming DRM, live TV, sports, kinect, the cloud in our ear holes in an attempt to convince us these will be the greatest things to ever happen to gamers. Thankfully MS got called out on their more obvious BS, but the fact is, MS has engaged a highly manipulative marketing campaign pandering to the lowest common denominator. It would seem that their approach didn't go over particularly well.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
My 6.4.4 Living Room HT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 160 Old 10-22-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Lifelong Xbox'er here but switching to PS this time around. My close friends have already migrated back to PC gaming and I don't see myself spending $1k on a rig (those days are gone for me).

Don't care for Halo anymore and always liked the PS exclusives more so than XBox. Don't care for Xbox entertainment features either. And Kinect to me was always meh.

I get a feeling Sony has big things planned for PS4 this time around in terms of gaming. MS is touting the XBoxOne more for entertainment than games.

"There are 1 0 kinds of people in this world...one that can read binary while the other that can't!!"
My small HT setup:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
post #33 of 160 Old 10-23-2013, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 29
What made me go PS4 this time.

1. Price

2. MS cocky and very arrogant attitude. This is how its going to be. Take it or leave it and them back peddling trying to save face.

3. RROD.

4. Them launching a faulty console and knowing it with the 360.

5. Kinect. I have absolutely zero interest in the damn thing and refuse to pay extra for some thing I do not want or will never use. I had zero interest with it on the 360 as well.

Still keeping and holding onto my 360. But, this next gen. They are not getting any thing from me as far as the Xbone goes. And I have been a loyal Xbox fan as well since the first one. Missed out on PS3. But, Sony managed to bring me back in the game. Brand and loyalty alone. Sony found out $499-$599 consoles don't sell in the long term. Only the initial hardcore will buy it. They learned from that and got it right with the PS4 pricing. MS on the other hand has the old Sony attitude from their botched PS3 launch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 160 Old 10-28-2013, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
- You forget the free game on the PS4 requires what? The PS Eye
- Specs aren't everything. Many devs have come out and said they are very close. Comparing both is like comparing an Green Apple with a Red. Taste the same, but they look different. The two have similar specs but done each of their own way. It's not apples to apples or orange to orange unless they are exactly alike.
- I think eventually digital downloads and family share is the future. Only problem was, gamers wasn't ready for it. Microsoft put their foot into their mouth and bet a bad hand, and it bit them. The only thing they could do was reverse their DRM decisions. Not to mention, PS4 was going to have DRM before a last minute change at the E3 show before they presented their console.
-Most people may say they aren't interested in kinect. Well it's not kinect 1.0 and from what I've seen seems to work better. But it's not perfect and I doubt ever will be. Some may say that's a gimmick, but I'm curious if the PS4's trackpad will work well or if that's just a fad.
-I lost some respect for Sony. Nothing like kicking horse while it's down. At least MS tried to make it right. But the damage was done. MS had no shot even with the DRM to compete with Sony.
-PS4 is for gamers period. Xbox one is for the family. It will not be a hardcore gamer console. I suspect it will try to include hardcore gamers, but will also include a market of casual and family gamers with the kinect.
-Both consoles will sell and sell well, but PS4 will sell better and I think games will run a bit smoother. However, I do think that games will look very close to each other but I'd give the PS4 a nod. Though, I doubt Id even are to tell while shooting the other guy.
-Kinect is not the reason for MS console to fail. It was the failed strategy and really piss poor job at revealing information at the E3 conference and a bad job explaining the features of what their vision was supposed to do.
-Tyrant, the kinect is far more capable than you give it credit for. Not to mention being able to recognize voice commands while filtering out background noise, being able to track skeletal and muscular motions, and track individuals in any condition. And apparently, PS Eye can do the same thing, so if it's all just a gimmick, why did Sony even bother to make the PS Eye anyway?

-rolltide, I get what your saying and I agree. I think Sony played it smart and it was better for them to go after Microsoft. What better to see what your opponent does and if they say this then plan on saying this. MS 180 was needed or they'd have no shot of selling any consoles And yes, MS can change this at anytime. But sony can as well. But I don't think both companies are that stuipd to do that. Especially MS, since the guy that was the head of Xbox division is now gone to the company that developed farmville. Some people may like to have a console that is a jack of all trades. But there are a large portion that won't care. And who knows, how many of those people that said, ah I'll never use that, actually use it. They just might, you never know. At least it's there and is an option. Hell, I'd love to not have to pick up a controller to change the channel. How many times have we had our remote fall in the cusions. I can be like wtf is my remote oh xbox channel 1002. And it does it. Lazy? Yes. But it's an option.

I know this sounds like pro xbox but I assure you it's not.

I intend to buy both consoles because I am a gamer. I will buy games on both consoles. If a game is on both, I'd likely to get it on the PS4 and exclusives on the xbox one. We need to wait until games are out and then games next year to really judge how the games are going to look, feel and play before we give a final verdict. Otherwise, we'd be sounding like a bunch fanboys, resurrecting the days of the PS3 and 360 launch. Some things never change I guess.

To finish this post off, I personally wish the bickering needs to stop and get back to what we all enjoy...just playing games no matter whose console it is made for like it used to be.

Xbox Live: ShadyFusion23

PSN: Nukleard1sa5t0r

post #35 of 160 Old 10-28-2013, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 799
the problem with everyone saying "well the kinect technology is awesome", "it is different than K1", "don't knock it until you try it", etc.. Is the fact that for the most part people aren't saying that the kinect is not impressive tech, etc. The best comparison i can make is a smart watch

Is the tech in a smart watch impressive -yes
Do i have to try it out for a year before i can decide that i don't want it -no

any phone company that FORCE bundles a smart watch with a smart phone with no other options will make me buy a phone elsewhere.

Now with all that being said i am purchasing all 3 consoles for the exclusives, but just like last gen 90% of my gaming will be on one machine, last gen 360, this gen ps4
post #36 of 160 Old 10-28-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by amb7247 View Post

- You forget the free game on the PS4 requires what? The PS Eye

Link? The free games for PS+ members at launch are Resogun and Contrast, both of which do not require PS Eye, in fact I don't even think they use the PS Eye at all (not sure about that but I do know the camera is not required).

Quote:
Comparing both is like comparing an Green Apple with a Red. Taste the same, but they look different.

Actually, they don't taste the same. Green apples are more sour while red apples are more sweet. Red apples are my favorite.

As far as specs, in the last week or 2 it has become pretty clear that the PS4 is much easier to code for then the Xbox One. Will this make much of a difference in the long run, probably not but it is making a difference at launch.

Quote:
- I think eventually digital downloads and family share is the future. Only problem was, gamers wasn't ready for it. Microsoft put their foot into their mouth and bet a bad hand, and it bit them. The only thing they could do was reverse their DRM decisions. Not to mention, PS4 was going to have DRM before a last minute change at the E3 show before they presented their console.

I'll never be ready for it unless the price of new games drops dramatically. 75% of the games I play come from GameFly, that will not change this generation or the next, or the next one after that. I just can't afford to pay $60 every time a new game comes out, which in this day and age is every few weeks. If either company ever cuts off GameFly then I'll just stop playing video games.

Do you have a link for the part in bold? I'm sure Sony considered some of the same DRM ideas but, I've never heard that it was a last minute change just before there E3 press conference.

Quote:
Well it's not kinect 1.0 and from what I've seen seems to work better.

My hate for kinect has nothing to do with how good or bad it works. I just don't like it, I tried it and didn't like it. It was gimmicky and added nothing of value to any of the games I enjoyed. I'm not a fan of the PS Eye either but at least Sony isn't forcing everyone to buy one.

Quote:
-I lost some respect for Sony.

Sony has done nothing but gain respect for me, they were the ones who listened to gamers from the beginning. MS was going to try and force its will on consumers whether we liked it or not until Sony raked them over the coals.

Quote:
-PS4 is for gamers period.

Sold!!

Quote:
How many times have we had our remote fall in the cusions..

I have a nice Harmony One remote that controls every devices in our living room, I've never once lost it in the couch cushions.

Quote:
I personally wish the bickering needs to stop and get back to what we all enjoy

Well, this thread was created for those of us switching from the 360 to the PS4 to explain why we came to this decision. I don't really consider it bickering.

I just like the product Sony has put on the table better and to many things about the Xbox One turn me off. I've been a member of XBL for almost 10 years (back on the original Xbox) and the last time a Sony console was my main console was before the original Xbox was released. I did not come to this decision lightly, I'm going to miss Xbox Live a lot but, MS screwed this one up badly and it will be awhile before I even consider supporting them again (in the video game world, although Windows 8 is pushing me ever so closer to a Mac).

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus
post #37 of 160 Old 10-28-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 602
Amb, Sony never had DRM that was any different than what the PS3 already had.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/02/21/ps4-games-playable-offline.aspx

This Gaf post is from a Sony insider on DRM (posted today)
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=87826072#post87826072
post #38 of 160 Old 10-30-2013, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Amb, Sony never had DRM that was any different than what the PS3 already had.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/02/21/ps4-games-playable-offline.aspx

This Gaf post is from a Sony insider on DRM (posted today)
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=87826072#post87826072
Sony filed a patent for exactly what Microsoft was proposing a year and a half ago. In this business, that doesn't mean much, but even this insider can't deny at one point they were considering it (even though he has, and he's wrong.) I'm not saying there were any last minute changes or other conspiracy like some of the nuts around here, even though I suspected it at the time.

Your mom is a classy lady!

Tom's Book Blog

PSN: Macello / Xbox: Macello
post #39 of 160 Old 11-01-2013, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

I have a nice Harmony One remote that controls every devices in our living room, I've never once lost it in the couch cushions.

Controls all your devices except the PS3 tongue.gif
I have the same remote and it ticks me off to no end that I either have to buy an adapter or use the PS3 controller to watch blurays.
post #40 of 160 Old 11-01-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I bought the adapter so yes, it did control my PS3. I still have the adapter and was hoping it would work with the PS4 but, that is looking less likely.

post #41 of 160 Old 11-01-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The force is strong with this thread now:D

"There are 1 0 kinds of people in this world...one that can read binary while the other that can't!!"
My small HT setup:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
post #42 of 160 Old 11-01-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 View Post

Sony filed a patent for exactly what Microsoft was proposing a year and a half ago. In this business, that doesn't mean much, but even this insider can't deny at one point they were considering it (even though he has, and he's wrong.) I'm not saying there were any last minute changes or other conspiracy like some of the nuts around here, even though I suspected it at the time.

If you truly want to dive into the conspiracy rabbit hole...

http://gamerhorizon.com/e3-2013-playstations-careful-assassination-of-the-xbox-one/
post #43 of 160 Old 11-01-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:

If you truly want to dive into the conspiracy rabbit hole...

http://gamerhorizon.com/e3-2013-playstations-careful-assassination-of-the-xbox-one/
They put it out there to test public reacton? That, I can totally believe.

Your mom is a classy lady!

Tom's Book Blog

PSN: Macello / Xbox: Macello
post #44 of 160 Old 11-01-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 View Post

They put it out there to test public reacton? That, I can totally believe.

Yeah, that part is believable, the conspiracy part is that they put it out there to trick Microsoft into doing it.

Last gen was full of corporate espionage between the two (with Microsoft winning that one) so it wouldn't be a shock if it happened again.
post #45 of 160 Old 11-01-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If they did, it was a fantastically brilliant move. The resulting storm that MS caused because of it (if it's true of course) is the sole reason many of us 360 supporters now have PS4 pre-orders and not Xbox One.

post #46 of 160 Old 11-22-2013, 05:28 PM

Liked: 19
Well, the design and marketing team are idiots. They named the third console 1. What are they going to call it's successor? The Xbox 1 2? Of course, they were also too stupid to know that it would be called the XBone. Then they screwed up the launch with the DRM fiasco. That plus the controller isn't as good as Sony's with the revisions and no sorry, I almost have never used Kinect, so forcing me to buy it is stupid.

They spent so much money and design integrating the cloud to offload processing. That might be great if I had a 4gig connection to their data center, but it really doesn't get much. I'm sure Sony could integrate something like that if it ever became useful. They could have taken that cost and time and made the console better. They made headway last time by launching first.

The only smart thing they did was launch at the same time so when PS4's sell out, people will be forced to buy XBones.

On the bright side, they'll only have to live with their failure for close to a decade. No big deal. In a real company, someone would be fired for this. I mean, Apple totally dropped the ball on Maps, put out a full page article with their execs all apologizing for it and they fired the guy who wouldn't go along with it.
post #47 of 160 Old 11-22-2013, 05:35 PM

Liked: 20
Better controller.
Live Gold is for suckers.
Significant power advantage.
No kinect.
No Halo.
post #48 of 160 Old 11-22-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

i will say the PS4 has impressed me, but me switching has less to do with sony impressing me and more to do with MS just dropping the ball big time. If you would have told me 6 months ago i wouldn't be buying next gen MS console at launch i would have laughed and said no way. So the best way i can explain it is MS had a 3 touchdown lead, but ending up throwing 4 interceptions to lose the game...
Tony Romo is in charge of the Xbox division ?
post #49 of 160 Old 11-22-2013, 10:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Well, seeing as there various xbox ones available at many targets in my area, I'm wondering if they're not selling well or they were able to meet the demand of consoles, but that alone says that a lot people seem to be going with the ps4
post #50 of 160 Old 11-22-2013, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 29
^ Price. I told you it would not sell in the long term. Only to the initial hardcore. We are talking $500+ with taxes and that includes no games. I seen MS toot their horn already about selling 1 million around the world. Pfft. Sony hit that alone only with in the states.
post #51 of 160 Old 11-22-2013, 10:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckademic View Post

Well, seeing as there various xbox ones available at many targets in my area, I'm wondering if they're not selling well or they were able to meet the demand of consoles, but that alone says that a lot people seem to be going with the ps4

They claim to have sold over one million to consumers worldwide. The big issue with that is we know preorder demand was lower, and there is stock left over at a LOT of stores. It is fishy to say the least. They also made this announcement before day one sales in the US were even finished.
post #52 of 160 Old 11-22-2013, 10:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I switched although I will still use my 360.

3 main reasons

Sony 65" 4k TV
Kinect
900p
post #53 of 160 Old 11-22-2013, 11:35 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9427 Post(s)
Liked: 6110
Quote:

They claim to have sold over one million to consumers worldwide. The big issue with that is we know preorder demand was lower, and there is stock left over at a LOT of stores. It is fishy to say the least. They also made this announcement before day one sales in the US were even finished.

How is it fishy? The XBOne had to sell in 13 countries to reach 1 million sales on the first day. The PS4 was only sold in two countries to reach one million on the first day. I would think the Sony will sell alot more PS4 consoles when it gets released in more countries later this month.

Or are they saying sales when it's actually just shipped units? Didn't another electronics company do that recently? Listed shipped items as sold to make sales look higher? Either way, both launches exceeded their previous gen console launches. So neither company can really complain about their launches this month.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #54 of 160 Old 11-24-2013, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
PS4 Is the First Device and only device in the World to Include New DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 Decoder

xboxlive: BLACKSOULTRAIN or SILVERBACK XXL
post #55 of 160 Old 11-27-2013, 09:14 AM
JSY

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
A lot of these things were said about the launch of the 360 and PS3... from pricing ($649 for PS3) to it being easier to code for the PS3... and we all saw how effected the demise of the 360 or PS3. (It didn't.) Sony dropped the price and the difficulty to code didn't affect 360 sales. I think both consoles will be here to stay for a while. The price will eventually even out. A lot of people listed principles of switching for factors other than games, which I think will be the real driver of the consoles. Competition is great!
post #56 of 160 Old 11-27-2013, 09:23 AM

Liked: 833
360 was easier to code for, and was cheaper the entire generation. 360 had the better GPU, PS3 the better CPU (which was sort of a hybrid, CPU/GPU, but only first parties really utilized it that way).

Developer ease and power seems to be the biggest factor for pushing systems on the publisher side. Power and price on the consumer side, although they tend to follow the developers as well.

This is the first time a console has come in as the most powerful, cheaper than the competition, and universally praised by developers (easiest to develop for at the basic level).

Things might get interesting, as it hasn't happened before.
post #57 of 160 Old 11-27-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

360 was easier to code for, and was cheaper the entire generation. 360 had the better GPU, PS3 the better CPU (which was sort of a hybrid, CPU/GPU, but only first parties really utilized it that way).

Developer ease and power seems to be the biggest factor for pushing systems on the publisher side. Power and price on the consumer side, although they tend to follow the developers as well.

This is the first time a console has come in as the most powerful, cheaper than the competition, and universally praised by developers (easiest to develop for at the basic level).

Things might get interesting, as it hasn't happened before.

Mark Cerny who is the lead sytem architect of the PS4 has also been a game developer for along time now. And Sony met with alot of other developers when designing the PS4 and it shows. This is the first Sony home console since maybe the original Playstation that has this been straightforward to develop for.
Btw for those who dont remember a big part of the reason the first Playstation beat out the N64 and Saturn in the market was ease of development.
post #58 of 160 Old 11-27-2013, 12:54 PM

Another reason to switch to PS4 this gen - miniscule time from inserting a disk for the first time to being able to play:

http://kotaku.com/installing-xbox-one-games-takes-way-too-long-1471191836?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

From the link:

We tested six multiplatform games on both consoles and every time, the PS4 was under a minute while the Xbox One install was several minutes long and required downloading an update before beginning the installation. When you include downloading those updates for each Xbox One game that happen in the background on PS4, the install times can get as high as fifteen minutes before you can even launch the game.

Assassin's Creed IV:
Xbox One (offline, no update): 5 minutes 50 seconds
Xbox One (with update, fastest connection): 7 minutes 2 seconds
Xbox One (with update, 10Mbps connection): 10 minutes 32 seconds
PS4: 42 seconds

The rest of these were tested on our office Wi-Fi which is around 9-11Mbps. It may have been faster on a wired connection, but you can compare your own connection speed here. These are our results:

Need For Speed Rivals:
XBO: 09:25 (including update)
PS4: 00:32

Just Dance 2014:
XBO: 08:48 (including update)
PS4: 00:45

NBA Live 14:
XBO: 16:26 (including update)
PS4: 00:35

FIFA 14:
XBO: 16:06 (including update)
PS4: 00:34

Madden 25:
XBO: 9:38 (including update)
PS4: 00:38
post #59 of 160 Old 11-27-2013, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 91
The hatred is strong in this thread. I don't understand why the emotional attachment to an electronic piece of hardware. The Ps4 is great so is the Xbox One. I enjoy both equally right now. They both have their pros and cons. I could go on and on but I know I am in the Sony side of the house now so here it goes.

I love the DS4 Controller. Play a **** load of NBA 2K14 and Resogun. My Wiiu Headset works with the DS4 controller. Netflix support SuperHd and the interface looks fantastic.
post #60 of 160 Old 11-27-2013, 02:57 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9427 Post(s)
Liked: 6110
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicbloodline View Post

PS4 Is the First Device and only device in the World to Include New DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 Decoder
What is different about it?

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread PlayStation Area

Tags
Xbox One Console Standard Edition , Xbox One Games , Playstation 4 Console , Playstation 4 Games , Xbox 360 Console

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page