Why Are Some Xbox 360 Users Switching to PS4? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #61 of 160 Old 11-27-2013, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 320
I currently own all four consoles - 360 / PS3 / XB1 / PS4. I have no use for Nintendo as I never cared for their IP's.

There are exclusives to both Sony and MS that I enjoy playing. I've always enjoyed the Forza racing games as they are just more fun to play relative to Gran Tourismo. I've also always been a fan of the single player campaigns in the Halo games as I really got into the storyline and mythos behind the franchise. With Sony, I've always loved the Ratchet & Clank games and the Uncharted franchise always gets a lot of playtime. So as long as titles like that remain exclusive I see myself investing in both companies consoles.

With the PS3/360 I tended to get the 360 version of multiplatform games as the 360 controller was more comfortable and I generally found the 360 versions to look better.

With this generation, I'm leaning more towards the PS4 for multiplatform games right now. Out of the gate games like CoD: Ghosts look visibly better on the PS4 to me and the new controller is far more comfortable. I am a little concerned that I'll quickly fill out the hard drive but with the PS4 at least replacing it is pretty straightforward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 160 Old 11-27-2013, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Another thing I learned when getting my PS4 and PS+. You can use PS+ with more screen names then just one on the same unit. On Xbox you cannot do that. You need Xbox Live Gold for each individual user to play online and use other services. That is crap and I never knew that even though I have had my 360 since day 1. I missed out on the PS3. That is probably why I never knew.

Very pleased and perfectly content owning the PS4 and Wii U this gen. Xbone will sit this one out in our house hold this time around.
post #63 of 160 Old 11-27-2013, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symtex View Post

The hatred is strong in this thread. I don't understand why the emotional attachment to an electronic piece of hardware. The Ps4 is great so is the Xbox One. I enjoy both equally right now. They both have their pros and cons. I could go on and on but I know I am in the Sony side of the house now so here it goes.

I love the DS4 Controller. Play a **** load of NBA 2K14 and Resogun. My Wiiu Headset works with the DS4 controller. Netflix support SuperHd and the interface looks fantastic.

Legitimate criticism isnt "hate".
In a thread like this people are going to bring up what they feel are the pros and cons of the products they are discussing.
And you do realise what thread your posting in right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 160 Old 11-27-2013, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13

When I read that Sony had hired a game developer to lead the PlayStation 4 hardware division, I knew they were extremely serious about getting it right. 

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/11/playstation-4/

As has been said above, Microsoft's attitude / approach really turned me off. I don't understand them as a company. The Xbox 360 is the Microsoft product I have liked the most, by far, but they seemed to get arrogant about it rather than double down for the customer. Sony got drubbed in the last round and came back ready to change and do everything to make gamers happy. Microsoft is playing at something else... "owning the living room" or some such nonsense. 

I never cared for Halo but Sony has had some intriguing exclusive titles over the years, like the God of War series.

Also, it's a little thing, but internal PSU and a smaller box?  Very nice, Sony. I've never had a Playstation but I'll give the PS4 a try. 

post #65 of 160 Old 11-27-2013, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahilal View Post

When I read that Sony had hired a game developer to lead the PlayStation 4 hardware division, I knew they were extremely serious about getting it right. 

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/11/playstation-4/

As has been said above, Microsoft's attitude / approach really turned me off. I don't understand them as a company. The Xbox 360 is the Microsoft product I have liked the most, by far, but they seemed to get arrogant about it rather than double down for the customer. Sony got drubbed in the last round and came back ready to change and do everything to make gamers happy. Microsoft is playing at something else... "owning the living room" or some such nonsense. 

I never cared for Halo but Sony has had some intriguing exclusive titles over the years, like the God of War series.

Also, it's a little thing, but internal PSU and a smaller box?  Very nice, Sony. I've never had a Playstation but I'll give the PS4 a try. 

It's definitely a nice size, but the PS4 looks so cheap and out of place in my rack. There's something about the plastic they use that just looks so cheap, it's really the only word I can think of to describe it. In comparison the Xbox one looks classy next to everything else, and it doesn't have any bright and gaudy LEDs like the PS4....but good lord that thing is huge.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #66 of 160 Old 11-27-2013, 06:10 PM

Liked: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

It's definitely a nice size, but the PS4 looks so cheap and out of place in my rack. There's something about the plastic they use that just looks so cheap, it's really the only word I can think of to describe it. In comparison the Xbox one looks classy next to everything else, and it doesn't have any bright and gaudy LEDs like the PS4....but good lord that thing is huge.

They can't win there. They went with something a bit more stylish in the PS3 Launch unit and got hammered because it was funnily futuristic, and the gloss piano black finish was a dust magnet.

I'm not a big fan of the flat black, textureds plastic either, but it's ok I guess. Maybe once it's out of warranty I'll give it some color and a clear coat while cleaning out the dust and giving the APU a new coating of AS5.
post #67 of 160 Old 11-27-2013, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

They can't win there. They went with something a bit more stylish in the PS3 Launch unit and got hammered because it was funnily futuristic, and the gloss piano black finish was a dust magnet.

I'm not a big fan of the flat black, textureds plastic either, but it's ok I guess. Maybe once it's out of warranty I'll give it some color and a clear coat while cleaning out the dust and giving the APU a new coating of AS5.

Yeah, it's something about the texture of it. It just looks super cheap and plasticky in a way that no other console has before. Like a car dashboard that's been in the sun for a decade. It doesn't need to be glossy, but a smoother material like the Xbox slim would have looked marginally better. It'd still be ugly as sin though. It looked nice in pictures but sitting in my rack it's the damn ugliest thing in there by a mile. The LED is also way too huge and bright. Basically I like nothing about the design of the box, it's just plain hideous and I hate it lol.

But the looks of the box is literally the least important thing about it, so I can live....but man it's ugly. So, so ugly.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #68 of 160 Old 11-27-2013, 06:41 PM

They should have matched the dimpled, textured back of the controller. Looks like carbon nanofibers sort of, and it catches the sun a bit.
post #69 of 160 Old 11-27-2013, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 929
I kind of like the PS4 look. Its not bulky. Then again its an electronics box on a shelf I barely look at. Did not care for the PS3 fat but the slim I do like.
post #70 of 160 Old 11-27-2013, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
At this point I am not getting either. I had a PS3 (died on me) and 2 XBox 360's (including a launch model that had no RROD...go figure). Anyway I don't play many games but if I do its on my PC. I use my Xbox 360 for Media Center if the XB1 had media center with additional codec support I would be all over it. The PS4 does not even have DLNA or capabilities to play MP3's.....wow.

All that being said I am not impressed with either one.

Sharp Elite Pro 60

Pioneer Elite VSX-52 Receiver

Pioneer Elite  BDP-62FD BluRay

post #71 of 160 Old 11-27-2013, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2104 Post(s)
Liked: 1520
I brought the Xbox One, but I haven't even unboxed it yet. Even I agree the PS4 is the better gaming machine, but there were a few reason I went with the XB1. Mainly because I am lazy. I already had a 360 and wanted to keep my account. Most of my friends are on the 360 and planning to migrate to the XB1. I mostly only play shooters and MS has locked up TitanFall as a timed exclusive and they usually get the multiplayer maps first. Plus, with games costing $60, I don't feel the $100 price difference is significant enough to switch. I though about waiting also, but don't think they will cut the price by the March release of Titanfall. Yes, I know I could have played it on my 360, but I enjoy multiplayer with larger teams or 16 to 32 players. I have Ghost on 360, which sucks by the way, but they took out ground war.
Jon Martin likes this.
post #72 of 160 Old 11-27-2013, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 602
EA and Microsoft signed a deal to make TitanFall a perma exclusive. They did it behind Respawns back and made them quite upset.
post #73 of 160 Old 11-27-2013, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild View Post

Another thing I learned when getting my PS4 and PS+. You can use PS+ with more screen names then just one on the same unit. On Xbox you cannot do that. You need Xbox Live Gold for each individual user to play online and use other services. That is crap and I never knew that even though I have had my 360 since day 1. I missed out on the PS3. That is probably why I never knew.

Very pleased and perfectly content owning the PS4 and Wii U this gen. Xbone will sit this one out in our house hold this time around.

Actually all users in a house can use the same xbox gold subscription now. Sooo
post #74 of 160 Old 11-27-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

EA and Microsoft signed a deal to make TitanFall a perma exclusive. They did it behind Respawns back and made them quite upset.

That deal is only for the first game. The sequels will be on ps4 unless ms makes another deal with ea.
post #75 of 160 Old 11-27-2013, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22

I'm getting a ps4 this time around because all my friends ore on PSN.  

Hsu Research HB-1 MK2
Hsu Research Hc-1 MK2
Hsu Research VTF3 mk4 12" subwoofer
post #76 of 160 Old 11-27-2013, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Don't want a kinect. Already own a Wii U which is awesome. Will buy a PS4 when it has some good games.

post #77 of 160 Old 11-27-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettXNA View Post

That deal is only for the first game. The sequels will be on ps4 unless ms makes another deal with ea.

titanfall devs and publishers already said titan fall will not be going to playstaion. this IP will remain a "Microsoft exclusive"
post #78 of 160 Old 11-27-2013, 09:53 PM

Liked: 14
i have the ps3, xbox360, ps4 and the xb1. Reality won't get rid of any of them. Reason unique games for each console. I mean ps3 who can let go of uncharted, the last of us etc...., xbox 360 gears of war, halo etc.....

Each console will have a unique game that i want to play. But if i have to choose i say xbox 1 because of kinect. Its simply amazing the improvements. Better voice recognition, face recognition.

Its a console people!!! Limits will always be there. Don't like limits go PC and enjoy the endless spiral of upgrade doom!!! Once you start you will never stop!! LOL
post #79 of 160 Old 11-27-2013, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassConfusion View Post

titanfall devs and publishers already said titan fall will not be going to playstaion. this IP will remain a "Microsoft exclusive"

Deal is for the first game only, but thanks to how this soured EA and Respawn's relationship, there may not be a second one depending on their contract. (Titanfall "Sigma" could release the next day if they play it right however)

They wanted to dethrone CoD just as they had done with Medal of Honor, but you need to be multiplatform to have any hope of taking downa multiplatform titan. Respawn was OK with one year, but they are not happy about the new deal.
post #80 of 160 Old 11-27-2013, 10:06 PM

Here goes the honest truth on everything.

FIRST: gamers now a days are the biggest babies in any industry out there. It's comically sad how it is and you only need to see the current south park episodes to see how silly it has really gotten and they are feeding so much incorrect information I don't know how they get away with it. please get all your information from an actually game site (ign, joystiq, game informer etc)

ok,
the whole new Microsoft drm, always online issue:
They were going to use the system that Steam has been currently using for a few years, its a great system which offers current games for insanely low prices.Computer games buy dozens of games a year just because the prices are to good to pass up. It also keeps money streams going to the developers and publishers instead of going to gamestop who makes outrageous profits on the used game market. It's wildly popular with developers, publishers and the consumer, yet since microsoft did a piss poor job of explaining it everyone panicked assumed the worse and all hell broke loose.

How it would have worked: instead of owning a copy of the game you would have gotten a license for the game. you could buy a disc which would have enabled you to download the game or you could purchase the license on the xbox live service itself. IF you went the disc route you would have been able to gift the game once to someone and then after that the disc would be unusable.

what it would have enabled: more profit going to the devs keeping them in business and eventually lower prices for gamers (as proven on steam). The drm would have allowed THE BEST FEATURE OF NEXT GENERATION- family game share. You would pick 9 friends to have in your "circle" and you would be able to share your license with them. Any game can be played by you and one other person at the same time, they could access your library at any time, and you would be able to do the same with them. long story short, you have 10 friends, only 5 have to buy the game and the other 5 could just play off of your license, essentially you could alternate purchases with your group if well organized, essentially this would make every game you own only $30 if you do the math. Online DRM was needed to make sure the system wasn't being cheated. (you do remember microsoft having to ban a bunch of modded 360's right?) This feature would have been the greatest thing in console gaming imo.
Why people hated the idea of drm: because microsoft didn't explain it in detail until it was to late, at that point people were outraged they would be able to sell their $60 game to gamestop for $30 and purchase used games for $55. I really have no idea why people would prefer getting ripped off at gamestop then using the steam model.

kinect always on: yea this one was a creepy one which shouldn't be a mandatory feature but they are really trying to push kinnect on people. its honestly a great little tech and I am enjoying being able to turn on and off my whole HT (except receiver) with just my voice, and the voice commands while watching live tv work beautifully. I am glad they did make it an optional feature, BUT having it included with each systems creates a big user-base and this gives developers a reason to create software for it. the previous kinnect didn't sell to much and after the initial wave of content it saw little support. Sony has already killed their camera by deciding to remove it from the system at launch, no one will buy it and no one will create anything for it. (ps move anyone?)

losing focus on gaming: this one is extremely laughable as they currently are showing the better games then ps4. Also- microsoft has pledged ONE BILLION DOLLARS to game development and are setting up 300,000 dedicated servers to be used for gaming. someone needs to explain how this shows they are losing focus. And in the same breathe someone needs to explain why they feel sony is extremely focused on games when they are worried about movies, tvs, 4k, gaming and they are also trying to bring original programming to their ps4.

specs: they are nearly identical, so this should be an issue, the ps3 was declared a powerhouse next to the 360 yet the 360 pretty much won that console era. Many games ran more smoothly on the 360 then ps4 and the xbox live service was way better then psn. sony definitely did pick up traction towards the end though.

another rushed system: both these systems have been rushed, if you don't think so then just go read the numerous articles of how many features both these systems don't support at launch. This has been a sloppy launch by both brands.

price: its lower because sony pulled the camera out once they learned what microsoft's pricing structure. you pay less and get less hardware, also the ear bud the ps4 comes with is laughable.

ms doesn't know what it wants to do: they want to make money, just as sony, so when the masses started their outcry of murder they actually listened and changed the un-popular features. Has anyother company ever drastically changed a product before launch just to keep people happy?.

Games: highly debatable and this is all opinion. In my opinion sony has better single player games you play through once and then never sees the light of day again. Microsoft has the better multiplayer games that has high replay-ability. this is all about opinion and preference.

I bought the xbox 1 because of their online service, kinect features, their willingness to actually be original and advance, and better multiplayer experience, It definitly has some kinks to work out and the new interface takes some getting used to but I am happy with my purchase. I will eventually buy the ps4 once their triple A titles start rolling in but as for now I don't see any reason to own both consoles.

also, I think titan fall will be eipc, this is a ms exclusive. The Division (will be on both) is also another highly anticipated game for me.

great things a sony fan has going for it: Sony lost alot of money on the ps3, they seemed to have learned alot from the ps3 and are pulling out all the stops to try and win the popular vote, this is definitely great short term for consumers. their giving away games through their ps+, they made the system cheaper then x1, they are trying to keep what is worked from the previous gen. The bad thing about it is that they have no originality, the ps move was a direct ripoff of nintendo, the controller on sony is still sub par, (a touch pad?? really??), when six axxis controller didn't work they were forced to go back to the dual shocks and they are still sticking with it for the new gen. so it begs to ask is the ps4 really a ps3.5 since they may be skeptical to experiment and introduce new ideas.

I think both systems will continue to evolve and be great, i will end up also owning a ps4. I think the competition brings out the best in everyone. It is great that the 2 companies are listening to their consumers but I wish the consumer would stop complaining until fully understanding what is trying to be accomplished.

It is definitely a personal decision and you won't be wrong going either way, but please make the decision based upon facts and not speculation. EX. Someone on here said every user in a household needs their own xbox live subscription to play online which is not true since microsoft has a "household family" system on the xbox one, only one subscription is needed and everyone in the household can piggy back off of it.
sabih786 likes this.
post #81 of 160 Old 11-27-2013, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 263
I'll eventually buy an XB1, but I'm switching because Sony seems more consumer friendly these days. So two generations of Microsoft being my preference (Although I've always been a multiplatform fan) have ended.

Even started buying non exclusives on the PS3 thanks to how Microsoft handled the Xbox One fiasco back at E3. Until recently, I only had a handful since the PS3 version was either superior or I wanted to support the publisher and bought both versions (Midway Arcade Origins and Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection I own on both).
post #82 of 160 Old 11-27-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:

Deal is for the first game only, but thanks to how this soured EA and Respawn's relationship, there may not be a second one depending on their contract. (Titanfall "Sigma" could release the next day if they play it right however)

They wanted to dethrone CoD just as they had done with Medal of Honor, but you need to be multiplatform to have any hope of taking downa multiplatform titan. Respawn was OK with one year, but they are not happy about the new deal.

people are HOPING sequels or such come to the ps4, this has not been confirmed and i'm sure has not yet been decided. if there is money to be made people will set aside hurt feelings.

I honestly think titan fall can replace cod with the footage i have seen, plus it was created by people who worked on cod games. Halo, Gears of War and Battlefield are thriving and there is no reason why titanfall will not take away market share from cod. also The Division is definitely an underdog since it rarely gets mentioned. I think cod is definitely going to lose alot of market share this generation. people are already getting tired of the same thing over and over from the cod franchise.

Have you seen the footage?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E82ZkHTiVU

its a shame they just copy and pasted a scene like that
post #83 of 160 Old 11-27-2013, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

First game only is confirmed for Titanfall. And yes, I have seen Titanfall (that meme was old the day it came about) it looks like CoD with mechs and jet powered parkour. The hype feels too fake in the media, and it wasn't even qualified for all the awards it won at E3.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=706403

There is so much wrong with your big post that I won't go into detail.

Trusting big gaming sites to be truthful and honest is just asking for trouble. Neogaf has gotten more stuff right and broken more stories than every major site combined. Gaming media is a joke that is too concerned about being balanced instead of reporting facts.

No, it was nothing like Steam. Family Share was confirmed to be nothing more than a one hour trial, their proposed idea was asking for abuse and they couldn't go through with it. Publishers were livid.

Focus, do I really need to post the TV, TV TV TV video? Microsoft chose their focus at the reveal, and it wasn't games.

Power, no comparison, PS4 smokes the Xbox One with a much stonger GPU and much faster memory. They have the same base architecture so there is no secret sauce, PS4 will run games better.

Sony was always targeting $399, they pulled the camera to counter the added cost of using 8GB of GDDR5, which Ironically only costs $28 more per unit than Microsoft's DDR3. The new eye costs $25 at best to build, it isn't that fancy of a device.

All these motion controls are rip offs of others. Move was a Wii Mote rip off and Kinect was an Eye rip off. They all are gimmicks that need to be dumped.
post #84 of 160 Old 11-27-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:

First game only is confirmed for Titanfall.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=706403

i believe it when i see it actually happen tho. at this point the politics will take over, and i wouldn't put it pass Microsoft to buy some exclusivity rights. but again, once ps4 starts rolling out some good exclusives i will be getting that to, i will have both systems so i won't need to worry.
post #85 of 160 Old 11-27-2013, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Microsoft of today just doesn't inspire confidence. Whatever numbers we have floating out there show them losing money everywhere besides Windows and Office where they are a monopoly.

XB1 launch was pathetic. With their money they had an opportunity to demolish Sony who bet the farm on PS4. They want people to pay extra $100 for Kinect - where is the KILLER launch application for Kinect? There isn't one. I do not see one on the horizon, either.

The impression is that they either a) do not know what they are doing or b) so much corporate infighting that the higher management is too busy stabbing each other in the back to pay attention to the product they are putting out.

Neither possibility makes one want to buy their product.

In comparison, PS4 is a reasonably priced well built machine which is supposed to play games. Yes, the interface is crap, who cares. It plays games.
post #86 of 160 Old 11-27-2013, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassConfusion View Post

FIRST: gamers now a days are the biggest babies in any industry out there.

They may be a bunch of basement dwelling dweebs but you are trying to sell them a product. If you are selling to basement dwelling dweebs then you have to please basement dwelling dweebs.

Bottom line is, the launch was a PR disaster. It was. Period. They screwed up.

Remember, there is no such thing as reality. Perception is reality.
Quote:
ms doesn't know what it wants to do: they want to make money, just as sony, so when the masses started their outcry of murder they actually listened and changed the un-popular features. Has anyother company ever drastically changed a product before launch just to keep people happy?.

Sure, they do want to make money, too bad that most of it is from Windows and Office, every other field they've dabbled in they haven't done well at all. Even Xbox division is not very profitable. Ok, with Xbox 360 you could argue that they were expanding the market at the expense of profits and I'll give you a pass on that. But with XB1 they will be lucky to keep their current market share.

And yes, they responded to criticism very fast and made the changes that the public wanted and people still poured sh*t on them. This is incompetent PR.
post #87 of 160 Old 11-27-2013, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Martin View Post

I'm trolling? Because everything I've said is fact? OK cool. We'll I won't argue but I'll revisit the thread about a year from now when the first "REAL" example of next gen games start to roll out and you can explain to me why the PS4 looks the same or worse...

-Good talk bud.

When you accuse people who have a different opinion of something than you do of crying than you are showing that you are not interested in a discussion - yes that is trolling.
When you make a claim like the Playstation controllers are made for children than you are insulting playstation users - yes that is trolling.
And what facts exactly did you state in your post other than that some 360 games looked and ran better than the ps3 versions ? I want links for the following "facts":
The Xbox 360 has better graphics because Microsoft is partners with certain companies.
That companies dont make games look better on the more powerful system - even though history tells us the exact opposite. Hell even the launch games for these systems
tell us the opposite.
That "companies are paid to make games look the same on both systems" - Ever hear of pc gaming ? Know how much some games look on a mid to high end pc compared to the console
versions ? Did you know that Dice (developer of Battlefield series) said about a month ago that it would be silly to make both versions of Battlefield 4 look identical considering the power difference ?
Have a link to back up your "fact" about Playstation controllers being made for children ?
post #88 of 160 Old 11-27-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Martin View Post

Keywords: "On paper" thanks for playing. 50% more? where did you pull that figure from?

Right, thanks to the ESRAM bottleneck it's actually more. Every single XB1 game got a downgrade for launch from E3, including Forza. Some are rending close to 50% the resolution of their PS4 counterparts, which is more than a 50% on paper lead with hardware, since it doesn't scale linearly.

This is well known knowledge at this point. That you don't like it doesn't make it false. Those are facts.

And this isn't school, if you're claiming others are wrong on opinion alone, it's up to you to get the facts. The architectures of these systems are very well known at this point, for those paying attention.
post #89 of 160 Old 11-28-2013, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by durack View Post

Microsoft of today just doesn't inspire confidence. Whatever numbers we have floating out there show them losing money everywhere besides Windows and Office where they are a monopoly.

XB1 launch was pathetic. With their money they had an opportunity to demolish Sony who bet the farm on PS4. They want people to pay extra $100 for Kinect - where is the KILLER launch application for Kinect? There isn't one. I do not see one on the horizon, either.

The impression is that they either a) do not know what they are doing or b) so much corporate infighting that the higher management is too busy stabbing each other in the back to pay attention to the product they are putting out.

Neither possibility makes one want to buy their product.

In comparison, PS4 is a reasonably priced well built machine which is supposed to play games. Yes, the interface is crap, who cares. It plays games.

Yes, the ps4 plays games unlike the x1??
I think it may be to early to say if either is well built.

Sony is also losing money left n right on a bunch of stuff.

Im definitly not trying to start a south park war here but alot of arguements on both sides are getting childish. Cant we all just get along?
post #90 of 160 Old 11-28-2013, 12:10 AM

The PS4 gpu is based on a pc gpu a Radeon 7850.
The Xbox One gpu is based on a pc gpu a Radeon 7790.

PS4 gpu - 18 compute units.
Xbox One gpu - 12 compute units.
The compute units may be used to offload jobs from the cpu such as the calculations needed for physics
or they can be used for pure graphics work.

PS4 gpu - 1152 shader units.
Xbox One gpu - 768 shader units.

PS4 gpu - 32 Rops (Render Output Unit).
Xbox One - 16 Rops.
Rops take the information that other components in the gpu have already processed and
convert it into the image that is output to your display device. The Radeon gpu that the ps4 gpu is based on has
32 rops because that is what is typically needed for a gpu targeting 1080p. The Xbox One gpu has only 16.
Which means that things are going have to be cut or scaled down in Xbox One versions for it to hit 1080p.

And as already stated, the power gap is already showing up in launch multiplatform games.

Think about this for a minute:
Take two identical pcs except one has a 7850 Radeon as gpu and one has a 7790 Radeon gpu.
Identical in every aspect even the version of Windows and all drivers.
Now pick some modern games, play them on both with fraps running. Which one do you think will run these games
better - it will be the 7850. And get this - no special programming required for the 7850 to come out ahead.
Thats what we have with the PS4 and Xbox One.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread PlayStation Area

Tags
Xbox One Console Standard Edition , Xbox One Games , Playstation 4 Console , Playstation 4 Games , Xbox 360 Console

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page