PS4 and Harmony remote? - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 31Likes

post #121 of 290 Old 01-19-2015, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5loth View Post
Hmm, the Flirc website lists this in the key mappings:

"Pause/Break - moves you back to inserted disc in the main menu"

I'm assuming that would be a suitable alternative? Basically I just don't want to end up stuck in the Netflix app once I open it, as I was hoping to also use other video player apps (NBA Game Time primarily).
I did see that, but I'm not even sure how or where to enter the text.

From the Setting up Flirc with PS4 instructions on the Flirc website:

Note: to record "pause/break" button the command line has to be used, use the following:

flirc_util record pause

There is a web page regarding command lines https://flirc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a...ine-with-Flirc but I really don't understand what this is all about. I did submit a question asking for further instructions.

Last edited by curtlots; 01-19-2015 at 07:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 290 Old 01-20-2015, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just tested this out with a keyboard, the Pause/Break key does in fact work as the PS Home button. Both pressing and holding worked as they would on the controller. Hopefully they get back to you with suitable instructions for mapping via command line.

From what I can find you need to run the following from a cmd prompt:

flirc_util record_api 4 72

Where '4' is key A, and 72 is Pause key. I think that then binds Pause to the A key.

Last edited by 5loth; 01-20-2015 at 12:37 AM.
post #123 of 290 Old 01-21-2015, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1951 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Now I'm glad I brought this up, even though I don't have a PS4. I figured with how flexible the Flirc is, there must be a way to get it to perform most functions. It is a shame it won't power it up, seems Sony could fix this somehow - if they could make a keyboard keystroke that would power on the PS4, it could easily be mapped on the Flirc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 290 Old 01-21-2015, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Jason at Flirc responded to my email and he noted that he's going to walk me through the process. He wanted to know what my computer operating system is. So the good new is, yes, it looks like it will be possible to map the PS button to turn the PS4 off and exit Apps.
DarrellG likes this.
post #125 of 290 Old 01-22-2015, 12:34 AM

It is a shame the Pause/Break button won't turn the PS4 back on from Standby state, even though the keyboard has power it doesn't do anything

edit: Although perhaps this is achievable via HDMI-CEC with the TV?

Last edited by 5loth; 01-22-2015 at 02:07 AM.
post #126 of 290 Old 01-27-2015, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post
Jason at Flirc responded to my email and he noted that he's going to walk me through the process. He wanted to know what my computer operating system is. So the good new is, yes, it looks like it will be possible to map the PS button to turn the PS4 off and exit Apps.

Just got my flirc in the mail today for my Playstation 4. Could you give us instructions on how to get that pause break programmed? Thanks!!! I have access to both windows and mac computers.
post #127 of 290 Old 01-27-2015, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hieyemtim View Post
Just got my flirc in the mail today for my Playstation 4. Could you give us instructions on how to get that pause break programmed? Thanks!!! I have access to both windows and mac computers.
I wish I could. I got the response from Jason at Flirc that he was going to walk me through it, but he didn't get back to me yet with the walk through. As soon as I know, I'll post it.
post #128 of 290 Old 01-27-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
You should be able to run 'flircutil record pause' from cmd prompt, however I haven't had any success, the application says it cannot access the USB Device.

I see you're also asking about it on Flirc forum.

One key thing I have found is that the application on the PS4 has to have specifically coded to accept keyboard input. Apps do not natively appear to. Netflix app does, NBA GameTime app does not accept any keyboard input whatsoever.

I still haven't found a way to power on my PS4, even if I could just set it to power on whenever my TV powers on I'd be happy, but I can't seem to do that via HDMI CEC.
post #129 of 290 Old 01-28-2015, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

I've tried, but I can't seem to get the command line to open. I'll admit, I don't know exactly what I'm doing, and I spent half the day last Saturday googling for an answer. It's strange that if you look at the keyboard GUI example on the Flirc website https://flirc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a...s-in-Flirc-GUI the keyboard shows a "command" key on each side of the space bar. I do not see this when I'm programming the Flirc.

Thanks 5loth, for sharing your findings, some interesting issues. I really hope we will eventually have full control of the PS4 with this.
post #130 of 290 Old 01-28-2015, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post
I've tried, but I can't seem to get the command line to open. I'll admit, I don't know exactly what I'm doing, and I spent half the day last Saturday googling for an answer. It's strange that if you look at the keyboard GUI example on the Flirc website the keyboard shows a "command" key on each side of the space bar. I do not see this when I'm programming the Flirc.

Thanks 5loth, for sharing your findings, some interesting issues. I really hope we will eventually have full control of the PS4 with this.
This looks like a solution!

I would post the direct link but I don't have enough posts here yet to post links.

Open up start menu, type run, and then, cmd

Browse to C:\Program Files\Flirc

Then find flirc_util.exe in there (make sure to put the exe)

then do:

flirc_util.exe 'commands'
post #131 of 290 Old 01-30-2015, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
This looks like a solution!

I would post the direct link but I don't have enough posts here yet to post links.

Open up start menu, type run, and then, cmd

Browse to C:\Program Files\Flirc

Then find flirc_util.exe in there (make sure to put the exe)

then do:

flirc_util.exe 'commands'
Were you able to get this to work? So far, no luck on my end.
post #132 of 290 Old 02-02-2015, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 118
The FLIRC is on sale for $13.95 today. I just ordered mine.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BB0ETW8
post #133 of 290 Old 02-03-2015, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellG View Post
The FLIRC is on sale for $13.95 today. I just ordered mine.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BB0ETW8
Wow, that's a great price!

I finally got the command line set last night and can now use the "PS" button on my universal remote to close programs like Netflix to get back to the PS4 home screen. It doesn't turn the PS4 on from it's sleeping state though, as 5loth reported earlier. For what it's worth, here's what I posted on the Flirc forum. This is the process I used to get through the command line process:

* The Flirc interface does not have a key on the Full Keyboard GUI that corresponds to the PS button on the Dual Shock 4. The command line process detailed below must be used to allow the Flirc to pair with a button on your universal remote control.
** The command line process below will still not allow the PS4 to be turned on from a sleeping state, but will work to exit programs like Netflix to get back to the Playstation 4 home screen.

Using the command line for flirc:
1. You will not use the Flirc graphical interface for this. If it's open, close it.
2. Plug the Flirc into a USB port on your computer.
3. Now for the Flirc command line. Thanks go to yawor, one of the Flirc forum administrators, for these directions for an easy way to access the command line and command prompt 3a. Open "My computer" and navigate to the directory where you've installed Flirc (probably "c:\program files\Flirc" or "c:\program files (x86)\Flirc"). If you get any warnings when navigating to program file directories, just ignore them. 3b. When in Flirc directory, press alt+d or click on the location bar at the top of the window, enter cmd and press enter. The command line terminal should open and you should already be in the correct directory. At this point you should be seeing the following:
C:\Program Files\Flirc>
4. Enter this text at the end of the above prompt:
flirc_util.exe record pause
All together, you will see:
C:\Program Files\Flirc>flirc_util.exe record pause
Hit your enter key, and you should see the following:
Press any button on the remote to link it with 'pause'
Now you can press the button on your universal remote control that you want to use as the PS button from the Dual Shock 4. Once you press the button of your choice, you will see:
Successfully recorded button
5. You're done.
DarrellG likes this.
post #134 of 290 Old 02-03-2015, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4061
Never would have guessed it, but lack of IR on the PS4 is a much bigger strike against it than I ever would have thought.
bori and steve1022 like this.
post #135 of 290 Old 02-03-2015, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
Never would have guessed it, but lack of IR on the PS4 is a much bigger strike against it than I ever would have thought.
Very true, you would think they would have learned with the PS3. Any why Sony has not come out with a media remote like they did for the PS3 is beyond me. I mean, there's money to be made!
post #136 of 290 Old 02-10-2015, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Oh boy! If I stumbled across this thread earlier it would have saved me so much time!

I happened to come across FLIRC through an XBMC community and was very excited that it works with the PS4. I also stumbled across the sale and thought that was the regular price. Now I wish I bought two of these puppies.

The FLIRC help database seems pretty scattered and it took me hours to find all the help I need to get it all setup. So I've put together a blog post to hopefully help others who are doing this for the first time.

link below:
How To : Setup Harmony Remote with FLIRC for PS4

Good luck all!
DarrellG likes this.

Last edited by Lanzer22; 02-10-2015 at 03:24 PM.
post #137 of 290 Old 02-10-2015, 03:16 PM

I was also under the hopes that there would be a PS Button equivalent, but since there's no way to turn on a PS4 with a USB keyboard, I doubt that there will be some way to turn on the PS4 with the FLIRC dongle.

At least we can use the pause button to get back to the PS menu so we can turn off the machine (though not as automatic as hitting the off button on the harmony). So that's something...
curtlots likes this.
post #138 of 290 Old 02-11-2015, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanzer22 View Post
Oh boy! If I stumbled across this thread earlier it would have saved me so much time!

I happened to come across FLIRC through an XBMC community and was very excited that it works with the PS4. I also stumbled across the sale and thought that was the regular price. Now I wish I bought two of these puppies.

The FLIRC help database seems pretty scattered and it took me hours to find all the help I need to get it all setup. So I've put together a blog post to hopefully help others who are doing this for the first time.

link below:
How To : Setup Harmony Remote with FLIRC for PS4

Good luck all!
Wow.

Is that a mac skin on your PC? Or does the software work on mac too?

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #139 of 290 Old 02-11-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Wow.

Is that a mac skin on your PC? Or does the software work on mac too?
Sorry I just took part of a screenshot from the help database in FLIRC, but yes FLIRC software is available on the Mac also. Though I happen to run my Harmony software on the Mac and FLIRC software on my PC. (Harmony software doesn't run on Windows XP with SP2)
post #140 of 290 Old 02-11-2015, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Sorry I just took part of a screenshot from the help database in FLIRC, but yes FLIRC software is available on the Mac also. Though I happen to run my Harmony software on the Mac and FLIRC software on my PC. (Harmony software doesn't run on Windows XP with SP2)
Completely fantastic! And with the dongle on sale today I may give this a shot! Many thanks.

Double True!
post #141 of 290 Old 02-11-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Completely fantastic! And with the dongle on sale today I may give this a shot! Many thanks.
Am I missing something? Don't see any sale going on. (at Amazon at least)
post #142 of 290 Old 02-11-2015, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Am I missing something? Don't see any sale going on. (at Amazon at least)
Sorry I saw the post above but didn't check the date...

Double True!
post #143 of 290 Old 02-12-2015, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Confused on a few things here, so if a FLIRC owner could please clarify:

1) If configured, can my Harmony Ultimate Home turn on/off my PS4?

2) Once it's powered up, can my remote fully navigate through PS4 menus and pause/rewind/fast forward/etc through Blu-ray playback?

3) How long does it take start-to-finish to configure a FLIRC? Props to whoever wrote up that "How To" guide.. you've peaked my interest!!
post #144 of 290 Old 02-12-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshock View Post
Confused on a few things here, so if a FLIRC owner could please clarify:

1) If configured, can my Harmony Ultimate Home turn on/off my PS4?

2) Once it's powered up, can my remote fully navigate through PS4 menus and pause/rewind/fast forward/etc through Blu-ray playback?

3) How long does it take start-to-finish to configure a FLIRC? Props to whoever wrote up that "How To" guide.. you've peaked my interest!!
1) Cannot turn on or wake from sleep, you can turn off via the PS button mapping (hold and select 'power off') or navigate to power off in menu.

2) Yes

3) 5 mins, very straight-forward

If you intend on using the remote, it would pay to confirm the app(s) you will be using can be controlled with a USB keyboard, as not all applications support keyboard input (required for FLIRC to control).

Something else I discovered yesterday, the PS4 App on Android can power on the PS4. Would be great if there was some way to emulate this.

Last edited by 5loth; 02-12-2015 at 07:13 PM.
post #145 of 290 Old 02-12-2015, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
1) Cannot turn on or wake from sleep, you can turn off via the PS button mapping (hold and select 'power off') or navigate to power off in menu.

2) Yes

3) 5 mins, very straight-forward

If you intend on using the remote, it would pay to confirm the app(s) you will be using can be controlled with a USB keyboard, as not all applications support keyboard input (required for FLIRC to control).

Something else I discovered yesterday, the PS4 App on Android can power on the PS4. Would be great if there was some way to emulate this.
Thanks for the responses. Disappointed to hear the answers on 1) but that's what I was ascertaining from other posts. That is very interesting regarding the Android app being able to power on the PS4.

For now, I think I'll just stick with my Xbone for watching blu-rays. My Harmony controls every aspect of that bad boy. Sorry Sony, you failed with Harmony/Blu-ray playback this go-around.
post #146 of 290 Old 02-23-2015, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
This is presumably a wifi/network communication right? Does the Harmony hub or whatever it's called have the ability to send commands over wifi? (I know we'd have to figure out a way to grab the command coming from the app...)

Double True!
post #147 of 290 Old 02-24-2015, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1951 Post(s)
Liked: 626
There must be a way to do it, because I can send commands to my Nest thermostat with my Harmony with hub.
post #148 of 290 Old 02-25-2015, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know that HDMI-CEC has been largely panned in this thread, but it turns on the PS4 if you turn on the TV, at least from Vizios. That would rule out one issue, as you have to turn on the TV anyway.
post #149 of 290 Old 03-02-2015, 12:07 AM

I couldn't do it with my Samsung plasma unfortunately, but I believe Panasonic TVs may also be able to manage power on via HDMI-CEC.
post #150 of 290 Old 03-02-2015, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I couldn't do it with my Samsung plasma unfortunately, but I believe Panasonic TVs may also be able to manage power on via HDMI-CEC.
I have a Panasonic TV and can confirm the CEC will turn the PS4 on. Turning it off still required the controller or app though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Console

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page